The pioneer post-office of Monroe township was established at the
Five Points in the year 1851, with John LONG postmaster.
The successors to the position are: John FISSEL, G.
W. Bodwell, E. S. McCLINTOCK, William H. ROWLEN and John H.
BEESON, the latter being the present incumbent. William
LEACH, in 1849, became the founder, and sole owner, of the first
store in the township. He opened a small stock of general
merchandise, in the building now occupied by John H. Beeson for the
same purpose. Some few years later, M. TIMMONS opened
another store at the same point, in the building now occupied by
C. CLIFTON. The classic spot known as the "Five Points,"
has not been blessed with hotels, mills, manufactories, physicians
or lawyers, and the dwellers therein should assuredly be healthful
and peaceful, as they doubtless are.
In the early settlement, Peter Van BUSKIRK constructed, upon
the small stream now bearing his name, a saw-mill, and one run of
stone, for grinding corn, was soon added. All traces of these
pioneer enterprises have long since disappeared. John H.
MADDUX erected a horse-mill for grinding corn, on the turnpike,
near where Jackson THOMAS now lives.
John PARKER and Kendall LONG built a
saw-mill, also, on Van BUSKIRK's run, quite early. This
was subsequently purchased by James and Perry DAWSON,
and rebuilt by them. It has at present writing, entirely
The records of the various townships
of Pickaway county have been very imperfectly kept, or at least
great negligence shown in their preservation, so that it is now
quite impossible to give accurate dates of organization, or names of
early officers; consequently, the writer is unable to ascertain the
date when Monroe became a separate township. The officers for
1879 are: Alfred CRAWFORD, M. J. TOOTLE, Henry DENNIS,
trustees; John H. BEESON, clerk; D. D. HEWITT,
treasurer; A. B. HUGHES, assessor; J. F. ROBINSON and
William J. PORTER, constables; C. MADDUX and D. H.
MARHSALL, justices of the peace. Mr. MARSHALL is
The present board of education is: Samuel W. DUNLAP,
B. ADKINS, James LARREY, Joseph WILLOUGHBY, S. P. MERRILL,
J. M. O'NEAL, D. ROBINSON, A. A. HATFIELD, Samuel WINFAUGH, Jackson
THOMAS, and W. H. FULTON. We have endeavored to
have the orthography of the names correct, and trust they will be