THE HERON METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH,
situated in the southwest part of the township, was
formed soon after the settlement, which was in the twilight of the
present century, and was composed, in part, of the following
persons: John PORTER and wife, Severen MADDUX
and wife, Mrs. John FOSTER, Mrs. Catharine RICHEY, Mres.
Eleanor THOMAS, several of the HAYS and REEVES
families, and others, whose names are forgotten. Meetings were
held in the log dwellings of the settlers for a time, and
subsequently, in the little log school-house, near FOSTER's.
Revs. Joseph HAYS and William MORROW were perhaps the
first circuit preachers on this charge, which was attached to Deer
Creek circuit. For a list of ministers see sketch of Methodist
Episcopal church at Williamsport in another part of this volume.
A Sunday-school was formed in the old log schoolhouse,
and this is still kept up during the summer season. The
present meeting-house was built as early 1838, and is, without
doubt, the first church edifice built in Monroe township.
CLARK'S RUN CHRISTIAN CHAPEL.
This religious society was
formed early. In 1822, meetings were held in a small log
building, put up for school purposes, and standing on the site of
the cabin now occupied by Mrs. Marion Van BUSKIRK. In
1844, a hewed-log meeting-house was erected. This stood on the
site of the present church, on lands donated for the purpose by
Claris HORNBECK. In this log structure, such rapid
advancement was made, that a larger building became necessary, and
in 1858, the present substantial and commodious church edifice was
erected. Among the early members were John and
Sophia Van BUSKIRK, and numerous children; Benjamin CORKWELL
and wife; John and Abigail THOMAS, and several
children; the ROWLENS, and many others. For complete
list of pastors, see the Christian church in Williamsport, which was
the first organized in this part of Ohio.
The church at Clark's run had, in its prosperous day,
over one hundred members, with a respectable Sabbath-school, but,
owning largely to deaths and removals, it has now lost its former
prestige. Regular services were long sine discontinued.
GREENLAND (FORMERLY TIMMONS) METHODIST
The first class was formed
here under the ministry of Revs. Philip NATION and Joshua
BOUCHER, of the London circuit, in about 1834. Meetings
were held in private houses until the erection of the log church,
called, by common consent, the "TIMMONS meeting house."
In 1853 a framed meeting-house was constructed, and the present name
substituted. Among the members of the first class were:
Benjamin MADDUX (who was first leader), wife and several
children, Jesse PRITCHARD and wife, Wilson MURPHY and
wife, Kendall LONG and wife, Elijah HATFIELD and wife,
John BARKER and wife, Joshua LEASONBEE, and Mrs.
Elizabeth TIMMONS, who donated the land upon which the first
meeting-house was erected. Among the names of ministers, the
following are remembered: E. WEBSTER, William MORROW, N. HUGH,
John W. STILL, George FAIT, M. WOLFE, C. B. WARRINGTON, T. HURD, S.
MADDUX, T. HALL, W. BROWNING, J. YOUNG, D. SMITH, J. MARTIN,
J. Q. LAKIN, F. F. LEWIS, J. LAWS, A. M. ALEXANDER, R. RANKIN, D.
MANN, and A. R. MILLER, who is the present incumbent.
In the division of the circuit, this charge was assigned to Mt.
Sterling. The present membership is seventy-two. The
class-leaders are Leaving CORKWELL and Arthur HATFIELD.
Isaac CLIFTON, Thomas WHEELER, George CORKWELL, Asa CRABB, Jackson
DICK, Millard DAVIS, and John W. HATFIELD and the
trustees. The Sunday-school was organized about 1860.
This has now some one hundred children in attendance. Abner
MORTON is its superintendent.
PLEASANT GROVE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.
In 1849, Rev. James
MARSHALL held meetings at the house of John C. BERRY,
where a class was formed, composed, in part of the following
persons: John C. BERRY, wife and daughter, Rebecca,
John HINES and wife, James STEELE, and wife, Mrs. Mary
THRASHER, Allen LARRY, H. M. THRASHER, and Mary CARDIFF.
During the season of 1852, a meeting-house was erected here, near
the school house, at a cost of eight hundred dollars. In the
fall of 1871 this was removed to near the "Four Points" where it has
materially increased its membership. It was formerly attached
to London, but is now a part of Mt. Sterling circuit. Soon
after its formation, a Sunday-school was formed. This still
continues, with H. J. INGMAN as superintendent, who also
leads the class. The present trustees are: G. W. ADKINS, R.
A. BUSICK, J. M. and Robert ABERNETHY, and R. A.
BUSKICK, J. M. and Robert ABERNETHY, and Samuel Winfaugh.
THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH,
near Pleasant SOUTHWARD's, was formed by
Rev. Caleb MORSE, in 1864, and was composed of the following
persons: Pleasant SOUTHWARD and wife, John SOUTHWARD
and wife, James FOREST and wife, and Fleming CARDIFF.
Meetings were held at the houses of Pleasant and John
SOUTHWARD. In 1866 the present church edifice was
completed, and cost thirteen hundred dollars. A Sunday-school
was organized contemporaneous with the church, and now holds its
sessions regularly during the summer months. P.
CLAIRAGE is its present superintendent. The present church
membership is seventy. Among the names of ministers, the
following are mentioned: Revs. - POWERS, Caleb THOMAS, R.
L. HARVEY, _____ SHELT, and RILEY, John SOUTHWARD, Benjamin
BRILEY, S. STONE and Benjamin SIEVERS. The church
is attached to Deer Creek conference.
< EARLY EVENTS >