History of Pickaway County
Source: History of Franklin & Pickaway Counties,
Illustrations and Biographical Sketches
Published by Williams Bros. 1880
* THE JOLIFF SURVEY
* FIRST SCHOOL
* PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
* EARLY BURIAL PLACES.
* FIRST MILL.
* FIRST MAIL ROUTE AND POST OFFICE
* THE FIRST ROAD.
* FLORENCE GRANGE, NO. 874
lies east of Muhlenburg and Monroe, and extends to the
river. Scioto township adjoins it on
the north, and Wayne
and Deer Creek on the south. Its
surface is generally quite level; having the Scioto
for its eastern boundary to southeast, through its center, it contains a large
proportion of first and second bottom land, and is among the most productive
townships in the county.
For several years
after the first settlement of the township, small bands of Indians lingered
about the region. Among the last who
came to Jackson
was a friendly Indian, who went by the name of
Captain Johnny. With a number of other
Indians, he had a camp on Darby creek, and the place is still pointed out as
Captain Johnny’s camp. He and another Indian, named
Cherokee Tom, fall out, and finally
fought a duel, with knives for their weapons.
After the quarrel which led to the duel,
Tom went off for a long time, when, thinking that
Johnny had forgotten the difficulty, he returned to the camp on Darby creek. The next morning,
Captain Johnny went to
Tom’s wigwam, and arousing him from
his sleep informed him that he must fight.
Tom yielded a reluctant
assent, for Johnny was a powerful
man, much the superior of Tom. The contest was short and bloody,
terminating in Tom’s death.
Johnny went over to
Mr. Renick’s, borrowed a shovel, and
buried him on the place now occupied by G. A. Florence. They undoubtedly had a
burying-ground there for when the cellar of the present house was dug, the
remains of several Indians were found.
THE JOLIFF SURVEY
While the army of
Lord Dunmore lay at Camp Charlotte,
waiting the conclusion of the treaty with the Indians,
John Joliff, a private soldier, discovered the fine tract of
[Page 283 missing]
HENRY SLYH, sr., a native of
Pennsylvania, emigrated to Ohio, from
Jefferson county, Virginia, in the fall of 1802. His family consisted of his wife and
six children. The journey was made
with a five-horse team and wagon. He
first located on Darby creek, on land belonging to
Anthony Hall, and resided there
eleven years, when he bought one hundred and fifty acres where his son
Henry now lives; he died here, Nov. 30, 1849, aged
nearly eighty-two; his wife, Elizabeth,
died in 1838, at the age of sixty-six.
Their children were Mary, John,
Frederick, Catharine, Henry and
Only the last two are now living.
Henry, who occupies the
homestead in Jackson was born in
Virginia, July 9, 1801; Elizabeth, now Mrs. James Hurst, resides in
GLAZE, from Hampshire county,
Virginia, came into the territory now constituting Pickaway county, at a very
early date. He purchased five
hundred acres of military land, lying mostly between the
River and Darby creek, and near their
junction. In the fall of 1807 he
came out, on horseback, with two daughters –
Eva and Mary – who remained here while the
father returned for the remainder of the family, with the exception of
Richard, John and
Adam, who had come out some time
before and commenced the improvement of the land their father had purchased, and
George, who was an apprentice in
Winchester, Virginia. When
Glaze came into the country he
brought five hundred dollars, which was a large sum for a pioneer immigrant to
possess. He finally became a large
owner of land. He died, in 1825, at
the age of seventy-seven. The only
surviving member of the family is Mary¸
widow of John Henry Knight, residing
with her son-in-law, Barnabas Brinker,
in Walnut. She was born Dec. 13,
1789. When in her twenty-fourth year
she married Mr. McKnight, and lived
for ten years on Dry run, in section thirty-four.
They then removed to Green Springs, Seneca county, and remained three
years, when they returned to Walnut, and located where
Mr. Brinker now lives. He died here in 1834. She is the mother of seven children,
all now dead but a son, who lives near
Tiffin, and Mrs. Brinker, in Walnut.
JAMES R. HULSE came to Pickaway
county in 1811, from Orange county, New York.
After his arrival here he married
Rebecca Van Metre, and located first on property now owned by
Henry B. Swearingen, taking a lease
of the then owner, Henry Bedinger, of Virginia. He afterwards purchased six hundred
acres of the Cable survey, and subsequently added six hundred acres more of the
Mr. Hulse, at the time of his death, in 1862, was among the largest land owners of the
county. His wife died in 1839. Subsequently, he married
Mrs. Bales. He had, by his first wife, nine
children, four of whom died young.
Three are now living, viz.:
Hepzibah, Aristeus and
James R., all residing in
Jackson. By his second marriage there were two
children – Jonas, who resides in
Circleville, and Effie Jane, who died
in January, 1877.
Mrs. Hulse, second survived her
husband about a year and a half.
MELKIRE STALEY and family moved into
at an early date, and located on the river; remained a number of years, and then
removed to the north part of the State.
Peter, a brother of
Melkire, came a few years later, and
settled east of Mr. Bells. He finally moved to Allen county.
ROBERT MARTIN came into the
settlement in 1808 or’9; remained several years, when he removed to
John Baer came in with Martin and made his
location in the southeast part of the township, where he resided until his
JOHN FISHER and family, and his son,
Absalom, and his family, came from
Pendleton county, Virginia, in 1815, John
Fisher settled on the farm now owned by
William Bell, his cabin being
situated on the hill just below Mr. Bell’s
Absalom located a short distance southeast of his father.
He erected his cabin in 1816, and it is still standing, and occupied. The father died in Jackson in 1847,
and the mother in 1844. Both are
buried on the hill, where they lived.
Absalom Fisher removed to
1856 where he and his wife both died in 1861.
The only one of their twelve children now living in Pickaway county is
John G. Fisher, who resides in
A family of the
name of Suddeth, and another of the
name of Barnes, were early settlers
Suddeth lived on land now
owned by the heirs of Jacob Van Metre. One of the daughters became the wife
of Jonathan Renick, and another the
wife of William Miller, of
HUNTER joined the settlement
at a comparatively early date. Also Joseph and
Ebenezer Petty, who lived below the
Darby bridge, on what is called the Franklin place.
Joseph afterwards moved to
WHITESIDE and family emigrated
from Ireland, in 1818.
They soon after settled near Chillicothe,
where they continued to reside until 1828, when they removed to Jackson, and settled where a daughter,
Mrs. Lutitia Walker, now lives. The father died here in 1839, and the
mother in 1863, at the advanced age of eighty-three years. Three of the children are still
W. HUSTON emigrated to
Ohio, from Pennsylvania, with his parents,
James and Ann Huston, in 1818. The family settled in Colerain
township, Ross county. In 1828,
Jonathan W., came to Pickaway
county,, and in the spring of 1834, located in
Jackson, where he has sine lived. In 1833, he married
Sarah Reber, of Fairfield county, who died in 1852. In 1854, he married
Luvanne Pitkin, with whom he is now
Pennsylvania to Ohio in 1808.
He first located below Chillicothe, and
four years afterwards, came to Pickaway
County, locating in
Wayne township, where he resided until his death, in 1848. He was twice married, and his second
wife survived him, dying in Missouri.
Joseph, his son took the old
homestead, and occupied it ten years, when he moved to Westfall, in Wayne township.
In the spring of 1864, he came to Jackson, where he has sine lived. An elder brother,
Samuel, resides in Circleville, and
Robert, a younger brother in Deer
Creek. A sister,
Isabella, wife of William Campbell, resides in Wayne.
Virginia, in 1833, and afterwards located on
Creek, where he resided some twenty-three
years. In 1860, he purchased and
settled where he now lives.
About the year
1807, the first school-house was erected just below
John Renick’s, near what was called “Strawberry prairie.”
Peter Mickel taught the first
term of school. An early school was
kept by James Warren, on the south
side of the creek.
David Culberson, a local Methodist
preacher, of Washington township, was among the
pioneer school teachers of Jackson. He kept school in a log cabin, near
THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.
Presbyterian preacher in Jackson was
Rev. Mr. Hoge, of
Columbus. The meetings
were first held at John Renick’s,
William Florence’s, and at
William Seymour’s, who lived above
Darbyville. The church was erected
in 1841 or ’42, the ground for which was donated by
Judge Jonathan Renick. The deed of
conveyance was given in trust for the benefit of the Central Presbyterian
Church, of Circleville, of which the society in Jackson was a branch.
The church formed an independent organization in December, 1877, with the
following members: Mrs. Mary Scott, Mrs. Kate McMasters, Mrs. Helen
Van Metre, Miss Nannie Stone, William Bell, and wife (all by letter), and
Mrs. Renick, on profession of faith.
William Bell was chosen elder. The society was organized by
Rev. Dr. Moore,
of the Second Presbyterian church, of Columbus. The
following members have joined since:
Mrs. Mary Jennings, Mrs. Samuel Sines,
Miss Mary and Miss Sarah Williams. Rev. Mr. Thompson, of
Commercial Point, is the officiating minister.
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.
meetings of the Methodists were held at the cabin of
John Rush, on Darby creek. The first circuit
preacher was Joseph Hayes, of Deer
Creek. Meetings were also held at an
early date at the house of William
Littleton, on Lick run, and subsequently in the brick school-house, which
stood on the corner of Mr. Slyh’s farm,
near the present frame school-house.
In 1864, the society erected the frame church, near
Mr. Neff’s which cost about six hundred dollars.
The church now numbers about a dozen members, with
Jacob Slyh leader of the class.
EARLY BURIAL PLACES.
The first burials
were probably made in the Hall
burying-ground, on the bank of the creek, a short distance above the
McLane Mills. The oldest inscription now
decipherable is that of Sally Hall,
who died in Oct., 1807, in her first year.
The next is that of another child, of the name of
Hall, who died Oct., 1817, aged one
Anthony Hall, the pioneer, was buried here in 1825, and his wife,
Rachel, in 1823, and
Joseph, their son, in 1826.
William, son of
James and Katharine Anderson; John
Cochran, and Thomas McCollister,
were all buried in this burying-ground, in 1826.
On the farm of John Fleming, a short distance southeast of his residence, is another old
burying-ground, the oldest inscription in which is that on the tombstone of
John Renick, the pioneer, who was
buried there in 1814. There may have
been earlier interments there than this, as many graves contain no marks
whatever, while the inscriptions on the headstones of some others are so nearly
effaced as to be illegible.
The most sickly
season in the early history of the township was the year 1826. That year a malignant disease, called
by the inhabitants “The old plague,” prevailed, and was oftener fatal than
otherwise. The first death was that
of John Cochran, Jan. 6, 1826. A week after,
William Anderson, an intimate friend of Cochran, died, and then quickly followed the deaths of
Abraham Ward, Mr. Bailey,
James Hall, Thomas McCollister, Mrs. Slagle
and daughter, Maria. Three members of the
Cheney family died within a week of
Soon after his arrival,
William Marquis built a small log
grist-mill on Darby creek, about a quarter of a mile above the site of the
present grist-mill of Mr. McLane. This was one of the first mills in
the country. The structure has long
sine been demolished, but a part of the wheel and some of the foundation blocks
can yet be seen.
Marquis had also a saw-mill, which he erected about the same time. The mills were subsequently, as
before stated, bought by Anthony Hall,
and they are generally referred to as
Asahel Renick had a saw-mill on
Creek at an early day. It caused an overflow of his land to
such an extent that he finally tore it down.
The grist-mill of
Washington McLane was erected by
James Thompson in 1833, and the
saw-mill a short time before.
Thompson carried on the business for
about six years, when he sold to John E.
Van Metre. About 1852 or 1853
Van Metre sold the property to
Joseph Deeds, who improved the
grist-mill considerably, building an addition of twenty feet, increasing the
height one story, and putting in new machinery.
He, however, made an assignment soon after, and, in the spring of 1856,
the property was purchased by Mr. McLane.
FIRST MAIL ROUTE AND POST OFFICE.
A mail route was
established in 1805 from Franklinton to
Chillicothe, through this township. A weekly mail left Franklinton each
Friday, stopped over night at Marquis’ mill, on Darby creek; next day reached Chillicothe, but, during the first winter following, there was one
established at Westfall, and, a short time afterward, one at
Marquis’ mill, about this time
changed to Hall’s mill.
Colonel Andrew McElvain, for many
years a prominent citizen of Franklin county, then a boy thirteen years old, was the first
carrier of the mail. There were but
four cabins on his route between the two terminal points, and, one winter or
spring, he was compelled to swim Darby and Deer creeks twice, carrying the small
mail-bag on his shoulders.
elections of Jackson township were held in the log house of
Anthony Hall, near the mills. The first justice of the peace was
William Florence. Esquire Williams and
Jonathan Health filled the same office at an early date.
The early township records are not now in existence, and we are,
therefore, unable to give the names of the first officers elected. The present township officers are
F. M. Slyh, clerk;
Horace Keyes, Joseph Hall and
M. V. B. Lindsey, trustees;
E. F. Coffland, treasurer;
S. H. Ridgway, assessor;
J. R. Florence and
B. N. Walker, justices of the peace. The
present township house located near
McLane’s mills, was built in 1873.
physician that practiced in the township was
Doctor Daniel Turney, of Jefferson;
after him, Dr. Webb and
Dr. Luckey, of Chillicothe. The only
resident physician in the township was Dr. John H. Grant, who came from Kentucky, and resided on a part of the farm now owned by
Mr. H. B. Swearingen. He practiced a number of years.
THE FIRST ROAD
The old State
road, running from Chillicothe to Franklinton, was the first road
opened in the township. It was
originally called “Laugham’s trace,”
three brothers of that name having laid it out.
The only store
ever kept in Jackson was the grocery store of
Metre, which he opened at the cross roads, just north of
McLane’s mills, about the year 1840.
FLORENCE GRANGE, NO. 874
was organized April, 1874, with the following officers: Felix Renick, master; Robert
Galbraith, overseer; H. B. Swearingen, lecturer; J. P. Taylor, steward;
J. R. Florence, assistant steward;
W. T. Bell, treasurer;
J. P. Wright, chaplain;
G. A. Florence, secretary;
A. J. Williams, gate-keeper;
Mrs. Felix Renick, ceres;
Mrs. H. B. Swearingen, Pomona;
Mrs. J. R. Florence, flora;
Miss Mary E. Williams, lady assistant
steward. The meetings are held in the
FOR JACKSON TWP. >