All the lands in
Circleville township, until they were purchased and entered by
private individuals, were owned by the United States. In other
words, they are known as "government lands," in contradistinction
from the "Virginia military lands," which comprise of some other
townships in Pickaway county.
We have obtained the original entries of
all the lands now comprised in the township of Circleville. It
is certain that a few of the persons making these entries never
settled on the lands they entered; but that most of them did, is
verified by the recollection of two of the oldest residents of the
original township of Washington, viz.: George TRY now
(and for many years) living in Circleville, and Jacob HITLER,
living just beyond the line, east; also by that of Samuel LUTZ,
now of Salt Creek township.
The township of Circleville contains sections five to eight
(inclusive), seventeen to twenty, twenty-nine to thirty-two, and
fractional sections one to seven, of the original township.
The original entries of all these sections and fractional sections
are as follows - the most of the sections being entered in quarters:
Section five was entered by John and James REED,
George MOOTS, John JUSTICE, and Peter BUNN, in 1804,
1805, and 1806; section six by George and Philip MOOTS, Joseph
YATES, West MILLER, and Thomas McNEAL, in 1804 and 1805;
section seven by Conrad MOOTS, West MILLER, John and
William McNEAL, and Thomas McNEAL, in 1804, 1805, and
1806; section eight by John DUNKLE, Benjamin YATES, and
John STINE, in 1805; section seventeen by Jacob HOSSELTON,
MITTON & CLARK, William WALKER, and Henry
ZIMMER, in 1804 and 1805; section eighteen by WEAVER & ROUSH,
Thomas McNEAL, Jesse KENT, and John GEEHR, in 1804 and
1805; sections nineteen and twenty by Jacob ZIEGER, sr., May
7, 1801; section twenty-nine by Samuel HILL, on the same
date; section thirty by John WRIGHT, Joseph LANE, and Adam
WEAVER, in 1804; section thirty-one by Joseph McCUNE,
June 8, 1803; section thirty-two by Robert F. SLAUGHTER; June
9, 1801; fractional sections one and two by Anthony BOUCHER,
who procured his government patent April 30, 1813; fractional
sections three and four by John McNEAL, sr., May 7, 1801;
fractional section six by William STUMP and George
BREYFOGLE, November 12, 1805; and fractional section seven by
John McCUNE, January 8, 1803. Section nineteen, about half
of each of the section twenty and thirty, together with fractional
section five, and about half of fractional section six, now make up
the territory of the city of Circleville.
The heirs of Anthony BOUCHER, who entered
fractional sections one and two, still live upon the same land.
Samuel HILL, who settled on section twenty-nine,
was from Kentucky.
Jacob HITLER says that the first settlers on
section thirty-two were Samuel and John THOMAS,
brothers, from Pennsylvania.
John WRIGHT, who purchased one one-quarter of
section thirty, was an uncle of Mrs. George TRY. In
early line he had been captured by the Indians, was with them
several years, and spoke their language readily.
Mr. GREGG now owns section thirty-one, entered
by Joseph McCune.
Daniel LUDWIG came from Berks county, Pennsylvania,
about 1805, and purchased section thirty-two, which had been entered
by Robert F. SLAUGHTER, being situated in what is now the
south-east corner of Circleville township. His son, Jacob
LUDWIG, still lives on the old homestead - the fine brick
mansion built many years ago by his father, being the first in the
county constructed of that material
Jacob HITLER and his brother now own the farms
directly north of LUDWIG's on which they have lived many for
years. Their father came to this county as early as 1798.
Henry TRIECE (or TREES) came fro
Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, about the year 1806. He
purchased the land on which the Forest cemetery now is, and owned it
till about 1840, when he sold it to Mr. MOWERY.
John ROWE, grandfather of Mayor TODD, about
1808 purchased the farm west of John WRIGHT's in section
ADDITIONAL NAMES OF OLD SETTLERS.
Henry FORESMAN was
born in "Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, Sept. 19, 1786 , ad came to
Ohio in 1811, driving out one of the teams of the uncle,
William FORESMAN, a pioneer settler in Wayne township. He
married his cousin, Jane L. FORESMAN, daughter of
Alexander FORESMAN, Mar. 17, 1814. He subsequently
purchased a farm a short distance west of the old village of
Jefferson, in Pickaway township. The purchase price was six
thousand dollars, of which he paid four thousand dollars down, but
was never able to pay the balance, owing to the hard times
succeeding the war of 1812. The sad result was, that he lost
the farm and all that he had paid. After renting a farm for a
year or two, he settled  in Circleville, where he commenced
working at the blacksmith's trade, which he followed the most of his
life. He died Sept. 17, 1860. His wife died Jan. 6,
1869. He had four children, of whom the three sons are all
living, viz.: William K., a blacksmith, living in
Circleville; Robert, a mile north, and Alexander, in
Florida. The daughter, Sarah Jane (Plumb) died. Dec.
Alexander FORESMAN (brother of Henry,
mentioned above,) came from Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, to
Pickaway county, in 1812. He was a weaver by trade, and
located in Circleville, where he continued to lie until his death,
in 1832. He was a captain in the Revolutionary war.
HENRY BURGET came from Hampshire county,
Virginia, to Pickaway county, in 1811, and in 1812 bought the farm
owned by Mr. Denny, just north of the corporation of
Circleville. There he lived till 1836, when he removed to one
of his houses in town, only to die, and be buried in what is now
called the old cemetery. He had married in Virginia, about
1803, Mary DICKSON, of whom he had nine children -
four born in Virginia, the rest here. All these are dead but
two sons and one daughter. The two sons, James
and Washington, live in Illinois, and the daughter, Mrs.
Sarah (Burget) Smith, still lives in Circleville. She
married, in 1826, William D. SMITH, of this place, a farmer
by occupation, who died in 1856, having had, in all, sixteen
children, nine of whom are still living.
INCORPORATION OF THE
TOWNSHIP OF CIRCLEVILLE.
The first recorded action
that we can find, looking toward the division of the old township of
Washington and the erection of its western part into the township of
Circleville, is the minutes of the commissioners of the county of
Pickaway, of 1813 to 1837, as follows:
"PICKAWAY COUNTY, OHIO,
March 4, 1833.
The petition of sundry
citizens of Washington township, ion said county, was this day laid
before the commissioners of said county, praying for a division of
said township, which was continued till tomorrow, March 5, 1833."
Immediately under this, on the same page, stands the
"MARCH, 6, A. D., 1833.
The above petition, [being] viewed and
considered this day, there was a division [i. e., disagreement] of
the commissioners present, to-wit: John Boggs, esq., against
division; John Mills, in favor of division; and a notice of
Daniel Dreisbach, esq., in favor of the division, which is
now on file."
Across both of these minutes several lines of erasure
were drawn; but several pages further on we find the following:
"MARCH 6TH, 1833, PICKAWAY
On the application of sundry citizens of Washington
township, for an immediate advertisement for an election to be held
in the new township, as petitioned for, named by two of the
commissioners, (to-wit, Daniel Dreisbach and John Mills)
Circleville township, and that a board not being present, and a
division in the opinion of those present, it is therefore ordered
that the above petition and application be suspended until 18th
"March 7th. Notice of appeal this day entered
by John Shoup, esq."
"And on the 11th March, A. D., 1833, a
notice was filed, directed:
TO THE COMMISSIONERS
OF PICKAWAY COUNTY:
Gentlemen - You will please to take
notice that the undersigned citizens and residents of Washington
township in Pickaway county have taken an appeal from your decision,
made by you at your March session, A. D. 1833, dividing Washington
township in said county of Pickaway, and that the same will be
presented to the court of common pleas of said county, at the next
May term, for hearing.
These are all the records to be found in the minutes of
It would seem from this, that the erased minutes were
really the record of an action, taken by the county commissioners,
which was regarded as an actual division of the township. But
whether this was so or no, it is pretty obvious that action was
taken, of which no record has been preserved. For instance,
there is no record of the naming of the new township by Dreisbach
and Mills, who constituted a majority of the board. How
it happened that a part of the records were kept, and not all; and
what has become of the papers which are spoken of as being placed on
file, we have found nobody that can tell. The eighteenth day
of March, the day set by the commissioners for considering "the
application of sundry citizens for an immediate advertisement of an
election to be held in the new township," we may suppose to have
been allowed to pass without any action; because nothing could be
done before the hearing of the "appeal," which was set for the May
term of court. But who authorized the election which, as we
shall see, must have been held about the first of April, will
probably forever remain a sealed mystery.
During its May term, the court of common pleas, as we
find in the records, made the following order:
"John Shoup and others, May term, 1833.}
An appeal taken from a decision of the commissioners of Pickaway
county, making a new township by the name of Circleville township.
The court, having carefully inspected the papers in the
ease, and heard the arguments of counsel, do order that the same be
stricken from the docket for want of jurisdiction."
Meanwhile the people had "cut the Gordian knot" by holding an
election of officers for the new township. In the office of
the township clerk we find a record, not of their election, but of
their being sworn into office on the 2d of April, 1833. We
hence conclude that the election must have been held about the 1st
of April. The officers inducted at that time, were the
following: Jacob Leiby, township clerk; Ferguson Flemming
and John Groce, trustees; Henry B. Joy, William L.
Pembroke and Edwin R. Reigen, constables; George C.
Gephart, fence viewer. Whether any other officers were
elected that year cannot now be ascertained. The first
election of which we find a complete record, was the one held March
4, 1836; when the following officers were elected: Valentine
Keffer, township clerk; sworn into office before John Ludwig,
justice of the peace. Matthias Robins, Thos. Pedrick
and Jacob Try, trustees; sworn in before the clerk,
Valentine Keffer. Jerome Wolfley and James Gill,
constables; sworn in before the same. Andrew Briner,
Francis Dana and Thomas Moore, supervisors; sworn in
before the same. Wm. R. Rinehart and Henry Forseman,
overseers of the poor; sworn in before the same. John L.
Green, James Gill and Wm. McArthur, fence viewers; sworn
in before different officers.
We close our notice of township incorporation, by
giving a list of the present officers. It will be seen that
several new offices have been added, and that of "fence viewers"
dropped. The election took place April 7, 1879.
Parmer Lowe, Lewis Atkinson and Jason Case, justices of
the peace; George Gearhart, Wm. Cage and Franz Moeller,
trustees; J. F. Hoffman, treasurer; W. H. Sweyer,
clerk; Wm. Mitchell, constable; H. Seigwald, E. K. Rife,
Jerome Wolfley, Louis Meyers, James Simmes and Lew.
Pontious, assessors; Erwin Jones, Wm. Noonan
and James Shaner, supervisors.
INDUSTRIAL PURSUITS IN
These are hardly as
diversified as might be desired. The wonderful adaptedness of
the soil to wheat and corn, the universal demand for those staples,
and the small amount of capital, as well as skill and practice,
necessary for their cultivation, gave to them an early preponderance
over other industrial products, which they have been allowed to hold
longer, perhaps, than they should. The raising of cattle for
the eastern market has, at different times, been quite largely
carried on, and the "hog crop" has always been large, as the immense
"clearances" of pork and lard abundantly show. But the
citizens complain that not a pound of cheese is raised in the
township, for sale, and hardly butter enough for the home demand,
and that, too, of an inferior quality. With a soil capable of
producing the most nutritious grass in abundance, there would seem
to be no good reason why both cheese factories and creameries could
not be made to yield a handsome profit. Let us hope, too, that
at no distant day, mills for the manufacture of linseed oil and
fibre will be established in Circleville; thus stimulating the
cultivation of flax, and giving employment to many, otherwise idle,
hands, and much unemployed capital.
Several portable steam-engines, manufactured by the
Scioto machine works, are owned in different parts of the township,
and are operated by their owners wherever needed, in sawing wood and
lumber, and, more especially in threshing grain.
In the vicinity of the town, there are several large
vegetable gardens, one of which (that of Mr. Geo. Sweiger)
raises vegetables for the Columbus market - all the others being
needed to supply the home demand. There are, also, several
brick kilns, owned and operated outside of the corporation, one of
the largest being that of Mr. McCollister, just north of the
In going about over the township, we have been much
gratified by the general evidences of thrift and comfort everywhere
presented. The primitive mode of architecture, as seen in the
log cabin, has not yet disappeared, and we will not deny that its
occasional appearance adds somewhat to the picturesquesness of many
a beautiful landscape. But we own ourselves better pleased
with the elegant farm mansion, so often met with, located on its
well-chosen site, overshadowed by graceful trees, amid decorated
grounds, which tell unmistakably of the presence of wealth, of
culture, and of refinement.
THE MEDICAL PROFESSION OF
The early physicians
of Pickaway county, in common with all the early settlers in a
heavily timbered country, had, from their first arrival, and for
many years, a life of hardship to endure the gigantic obstacles to
overcome. The patients they were called upon to visit lived,
in most cases, at a considerable distance from each other, and the
only roads were blind paths and blazed threes from one habitation to
another. A journey of many weary miles each day, accomplished
on horseback, had to be taken in order to visit a very few families,
and often these journeys were attended with great danger, for no
matter how wild the storm, or how swollen the streams, suffering
humanity must be relieved. Fevers and ague were the prevailing
diseases, and at some seasons they baffled the skill of the best
physicians of the day, and became malignant, threatening at times to
depopulate the country, and drive the settlers back to the borders
of civilization to preserve their lives from the unseen foe.
Among the first physicians to locate in Pickaway
county, were Dr. Daniel TURNEY, Dr. Erastus WEBB and Dr.
William N. LUCKEY. Dr. TURNEY removed from
Shepherdtown, Virginia, to Ross county, Ohio, in 1800. He
first commenced the practice of medicine in Jefferson, Pickaway
county. He removed to Circleville about the time the town was
first laid out, in 1810, and became the first resident physician of
the place. He was an eminent physician and surgeon, and made
himself thoroughly acquainted with the various types of disease
incident to the disturbance of the virgin soil of the new country.
He was eminently successful in his practice and never remitted his
exertions to heal the sick while life lasted. He remained in
Circleville until 1823, when he removed to Columbus, where he
continued in practice until his death in 1827.
Dr. Erastus WEBB was the second physician to
locate in Circleville, arriving about 1815. His former home
was in New York State. He continued in successful practice
throughout the adjoining county, having an extensive ride, and
possessing the confidence of the people in a marked degree until his
death, which occurred in 1848.
Dr. William N. LUCKEY was the next physician in
Circleville, coming to that place from Pennsylvania in about 1819.
He did his share of the practice, and was known as a careful and
painstaking practitioner. He continued in business until his
death, in 1847.
Dr. HILL was a student of Dr. WEBB, and
after preparing himself under the instruction of so good a
practitioner, he began the practice of medicine in about 1825 or
1826. He remained in practice in Circleville a few years, when
he removed to near Terre Haute, Indiana, where he practiced until
his death many years later.
Dr. Edson B. OLDS came to Ohio in 1818, then a
poor young man of sixteen yeas of age. He taught school to
procure the means for obtaining a profession, and commenced the
study of law with his brother, Joseph OLDS. Owing to an
impediment in his speech, he was discouraged from continuing the
study of law, and shortly began the study of medicine with Dr.
William N. LUCKY, finishing his studies at a Philadelphia
medical university. He began practice at Kingston, Ross
county, in 1824, and remained there about four years. In 1828
he came to Circleville and conducted a successful practice until
1837, when he engaged in a general produce and mercantile business.
He became an active politician, and was several times elected to the
State legislature, and twice to congress. He removed to
Lancaster in 1859, and died there in January, 1879.
Dr. Peter K. HULL settled in Circleville about
1834 or 1835, and practiced medicine until about 1844, when he
removed to Monticello, Indiana, where he died about 1858.
Dr. T. H. GIBSON was a native of Pickaway
County, and early commenced the study of medicine with Dr.
William N. LUCKEY, He began practice about 1823, and
continued at his profession until 1836. He suffered from
consumption, and visited White Sulpher Springs, Virginia, for relief,
but died from the disease when on his return to his home, in 1836.
Dr. FINLEY practiced medicine in Circleville
from about 1825 to 1833, when he removed to South Bend, Indiana.
Dr. A. W. THOMPSON is a native of Massachusetts,
and in that State commenced the study of medicine. Before
completing his studies he came to Ohio and read with his brother,
Dr. J. C. THOMPSON, of South Bloomfield, after which he
graduated from Berkshire medical college. He first commenced
practice in Kingston, Ross county, and, after a short time, removed
to Circleville, where he has built up a large and lucrative
practice. An extended notice of his life appears in another
part of his work.
Dr. J. B. JONES was a graduate of
the Jefferson medical college, Philadelphia, in the class of 1837.
Immediately after graduating he began the practice of his profession
in Muskingum county, where he remained two years, in 1839 removing
to Circleville, where he built up an extensive practice. He
was a victim of consumption, and spent one winter in Texas, in
search of a relief from the dread disease. His death occurred
in Circleville, in 1846. He left a widow and one child, who
now live in Circleville.
Dr. Wayne GRISWOLD was born and received the
benefit of an academical education in Buckland, Franklin county,
Massachusetts. He studied medicine and graduated from
Berkshire medical college, Pittsfield, Massachusetts, in 1834.
Immediately after graduating he commenced the practice of
medicine in Whitingham, Vermont, where he remained until 1839, when
he removed to Circleville. He had a house and office on the
lot now occupied by the court house, and, after obtaining a good
start in business, loss all by fire, which destroyed his buildings.
He then commenced again, and, with indomitable energy, built up a
large and lucrative practice, which he continued until 172, when he
retired from active labor, leaving his business to Doctors WILDER
and BOWERS, his nephew and son-in-law. In 1849 he
engaged with his brother-in-law, W. W. BALLARD, in the drug
business, continuing his connection with this business until 1865.
To him a great deal of the credit of the present mission-school
system of Circleville is due. He was an indefatigable worker
in the cause of education, and served some time on the school board
and in the city council. Politically a democrat, he worked for
the success of his party, and, in 1847, ran for the State senator,
and, in 1851, for representative, but did not secure an election.
In 1853 he was elected member of the board of public works, and
served one term.
Dr. Chester OLDS came from Vermont to
Circleville about 1850, and engaged in the practice of medicine, at
which he continued some ten years, when he died.
Dr. Louis BIERCE came from the Athens sometime
after 1840, and he died in Circleville, after practicing about two
Dr. H. C. JOHNS read medicine in Circleville with
Dr. J. B. JONES, and engaged in practice with him for a short
time. He removed to Decatur, Illinois, about 1849, and is now
in practice there.
Dr. Kingsley RAY practiced in Worthington and in
Delaware, and, in 1845, removed to Circleville, where he practiced
until 1865, and where he now resides. His biography appears on
another page of this work.
Dr. Charles H. HAWKES graduated at Berkshire
medical college, Pittsfield, Massachusetts, in 1845. After
graduating, he read another year at Middlebury, Vermont. In
1847, he commenced practice at Tarlton, Pickaway county, and in 1848
came to Circleville, and entered into partnership with Dr. Marcus
BROWN,,,,, with whom he continued one year. In 1849, he
opened an office by himself, and continued in practice until 1873,
when he was seized with a disease of the brain which eventually
caused his death, in 1878. He was placed in the insane asylum
at Dayton, for a time, and then at Athens, where he received marked
advantages, and was, after a time, able to return home, where he
remained some fifteen months. His malady returned, and he was
taken to the asylum at Columbus, where he died.
Dr. Marcus BROWN, first commenced practicing in
Williamsport, Ohio, in 1825. He remained there eleven years,
when he removed to Circleville, and continued to practice until
1850, when he sold his business to Dr. TAYLOR. In 1849
he engaged in banking in Circleville. An extended notice of
his life will be found in this work.
Samuel D. TURNEY read medicine under Dr. P. K. HULL,
and attended one course of lectures at Starling medical college, in
1849-50. He graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in
1851, and immediately engaged in practice in Circleville, and
continued in active business until his death, in January, 1878.
His biography appears on another page of the Circleville history.
Dr. N. E. JONES graduated from the Cleveland
medical college, in 1846, and practiced in that city two years.
He then spent several years in the West, a part of the time in
Dubuque, Iowa. In 1853, he came to Circleville, where he
opened an office, and has built up an enviable practice. In
1878, he associated with him his son, Dr. Howard E. JONES,
who had read medicine with him, and graduated at the Ohio medical
college, in Cincinnati, in the winter of 1875-6. He afterwards
took a post graduate course at the college of physicians and
surgeons, in New York.
Dr. William L. PECK came to Circleville about 1855,
and practiced in company with Dr. Chester OLDS until 1861,
when he was commissioned as assistant surgeon in the Ohio regiment.
He was afterwards promoted to surgeon of a regiment, and served
until the close of the war. Soon after his return he was
appointed superintendent of the Columbus insane asylum, where he
remained until after the institution was burned. He was in
charge during the rebuilding of the asylum, until it was near
completion, when another took his place, and he removed to
Cincinnati, where he established a sanitarium. He remained in
Cincinnati for some time, and then removed to Indianapolis, Indiana,
where he now resides.
Dr. BALDBRIDGE practiced the eclectic system of
medicine for a time, previous to 1857.
Dr. LONGSHORE practiced the eclectic system of
medicine for a time, and died in Circleville in 1854 or '55.
Dr. Jephtha DAVIS was an eclectic physician here
from about 1858 until 1872, when he removed to Kansas.
Dr. C. C. SHARP came to Circleville from Galveston,
Texas, about 1857, and remained in practice until about 1869, when
he removed to Columbus. He left there for Lexington, Kentucky,
thence to Louisville, and is now located in Chicago.
Dr. D. M. KINSMAN came to Circleville when a young
man, and was for some time employed in the schools of the place.
He read medicine with Dr. William L. PECK, and graduated from
the Ohio medical college, Cincinnati, in 1863. After his
graduation, he entered into partnership with Dr. A. W. THOMPSON,
which, continued until 1866, when he removed to Lancaster.
There he remained five or six years, when he became connected with
Starling medical college, Columbus.
Dr. G. A. WILDER read medicine with Dr. Wayne
GRISWOLD, in 1856, and for several years afterward. He
attended lectures at Berkshire medical college, Pittsfield,
Massachusetts, and graduated in 1864. In 1865 he entered into
partnership with Dr. GRISWOLD, in Circleville, where he has
since remained. Dr. GRISWOLD gave up his practice in
1872, wince which time he has been in partnership with Dr. BOWERS.
Previous to entering up the regular study of medicine he was
employed in the drugstore of GRISWOLD & BALLARD, and, while
there, made considerable progress in his studies.
Dr. E. D. BOWERS commenced the
study of medicine under Dr. H. CULBERTSON, of Zanesville,
where he remained but a short time, when he went to Philadelphia,
and studied nearly three years, graduating in 1861, at Jefferson
medical college. In 1862, he was commissioned assistant
surgeon of the Ninety-third Ohio infantry, and in March, 1865, was
promoted to be full surgeon. Soon after being mustered
out of service, in October, 1865, he was, for a time, in the asylum
for the insane at Columbus, as assistant, and in 1867 entered into
partnership with Drs. GRISWOLD & WILDER, in Circleville.
Since 1872 he has been in partnership with Dr. WILDER.
Dr. M. HAMMEL read medicine with Drs. GRISWOLD &
WILDER, in 1865, and in 1868, graduated from the Ohio medical
college, of Cincinnati. He engaged in practice at Five Points,
in Monroe township, where he remained five months, when he removed
to Waterloo, where he practiced six months. In the spring of
1869 he located in Circleville, where he has since remained.
Dr. A. H. SHAEFFER graduated
from Starling medical college in 1849, and soon after commenced the
practice of medicine at Royalton, Fairfield county. He
remained there but a short time, when he removed to Oakland, in the
same county, and practiced eighteen years. In May, 1860, he
came to Circleville, where he has since been engaged in the practice
of his profession.
Dr. L. C. VERNON read medicine with Dr. SHARP,
in Circleville, in 1857. He graduated from the Eclectic
medical institute at Cincinnati, in 1864, and went to Zanesville,
where he practiced until 1873, when he came to Circleville, where he
has since practiced. Previous to his graduation he practiced
for a tome at Washington Court House.
Dr. A. P. COURTRIGHT was a student with Drs.
TURNEY & THOMPSON, in 1864. He attended lectures at Miami
medical college, Cincinnati, where he graduated in 1867. After
graduating he was chosen by competitive examination, physician in
the old commercial hospital, (now the Cincinnati hospital) for one
year. He was then engaged in private practice in Cincinnati
for a year and a half. In 1873 he came to Circleville and
opened an office. He was in partnership with Dr. TURNEY
from January, 1877, until his death, since which time he has
conducted business by himself. He has built up an extensive
and lucrative practice in and about Circleville.
Dr. G. T. ROWE read medicine in the office of
Dr. S. D. TURNEY in 1874-7, graduating the latter year from the
university of Maryland, at Baltimore. He attended one course
of lectures in 1876, at the Ohio medical college. In 1877 he
entered into partnership with Dr. A. W. THOMPSON, with whom
he is still associated.
Dr. Thomas BLACKSTONE was a student with his uncle
Dr. William BLACKSTONE, of Athens. He attended one
course of lectures at the Ohio medical college, in 1872, and
graduated from the Bellevue hospital medical college, in New York,
in 1873. In 1874 he was appointed assistant physician at
Athens asylum, for the insane, where he remained three years.
He then spent a year in London and Vienna, at their famous
hospitals, and in the fall of 1878 came to Circleville, where he now
practices. Previous to entering upon the study of medicine, he
graduated from the Ohio university at Athens.
Dr. F. BAKER practiced in Ashland, Kentucky, for a
time, and then 1878 came to Circleville, where he is now in
Dr. John C. KING graduated form the university
of Nashville, in 1874. In 1872 he commenced the homoeopathic
practice in Allegheny, Pennsylvania, and served on the staff of
physicians at the homoeopathic charity hospital of Pittsburgh, for
three years In 1878 he came to Circleville, where he
has built up a good practice, being the only physician of that
school in the place.
Dr. George A. ROWE read medicine with Dr. L. C.
VERNON, in 1876, and graduated from the eclectic medical
institute of Cincinnati, in 1878. Since that time he has been
located in Circleville.
Dr. TOMLINSON came to Circleville in 1878. He
had been in practice in other places some fifteen years previous to
his location here.
CLICK HERE FOR
CIRCLEVILLE BIOGRAPHIES >