ORIGIN OF NAME & DESCRIPTION OF ANCIENT MOUNDS
PROPRIETORSHIP - pg. 213
SETTLEMENTS - pg. 213
INCORPORATION OF THE TOWNSHIP OF CIRCLEVILLE - pg. 214
PURSUITS IN THE TOWNSHIP. - pg. 215
MEDICAL PROFESSION OF CIRCLEVILLE - pg. 215
- pg. 218
CIRCLEVILLE CHAPTER NO. 20, R. A. M.
TYRIAN COUNCIL NO. 7, R. AND S. M.
St. James Lodge
No. 8, F. and A. M., was organized on the 23rd of May, 1866, by
R. W. David Jenkins, D. G. M., with nine charter members, viz:
George Blok, W. M.; John Dickerson, S. W.; Henry
Stonup, J. W.; John Thornton, treasurer; R. H. Irving,
secretary; George Hacket, S. D.; Lorrence Gornes, J.
D.; Henry Nickens, tiler; and R. L. M. Hogan, acting
as chaplain. The degrees conferred at the organization were an
occasional lodge opened in the office of Dr. Brooks, on Main
street, now occupied by the Union-Herald printing office.
On the 20th of June, 1867, this lodge received its warrant at the
annual meeting of the grand lodge, held at Xenia, O., J. W. Goff,
G. M.; and J. R. Blackburn, G. S. John Dickerson
was its first master under the warrant, and he has held that
position every term since, save two. After the organization
the lodge occupied a part of the Niles warehouse, where they fitted
up a nice hall and leased it for five years, from the then owner,
Captain Wm. Triplet. He became financially embarrassed,
and the brethren had to seek another place of meeting, which they
did by securing the south rooms of the third story of Olds' block,
on the corner of Court and Main streets, which place they have
occupied since, save the years 1875 and 1876. The lodge now
consists of nineteen members with I. N. Lucas, W. M.; Wm.
Stonup, S. W.; A. Haithcock, J. W.; F. V. Lewis,
treasurer; Wm. Mitchell, secretary; Geo. Henderson, S.
D.; E. Mitchell, J. D.; L. Gaines, S. S.; L. Woody,
J. S.; and H. Harvey, tyler.
INDIANOLA TRIBE, NO. 66.
The nucleus of this library was formed by the Young Men's Christian
association, a society which, having existed for some years, was
disbanded in 1873. On the sixth of March, in that year, they
donated their books, amounting to several hundred volumes, to the
city council. It was not, however, until the following year
that a regular organization was effected under the Ohio State law of
1868. The first board of managers, appointed in that year, was
as follows: W. Marshall Anderson, president; W. B.
Mansfield, secretary and treasurer; Mayor George R. Miller,
D. B. Barks, W. E. Bolin, C. C. Neibling, and E. D. Bowers.
A room in Odd Fellows' building was leased by the council for the
use of the library, and Mrs. Mary Carper was appointed
librarian - an office which she has ever since held. A large
addition has recently been made to the number of books, which now
amount to about three thousand, besides the leading magazines.
The interest manifested in this important means of public
instruction and enjoyment, is in a high degree creditable to the
The names of the present board of managers are the
following: C. A. Helwagen, president; William Drum,
secretary and treasurer; Mayor I. P. Todd, W. Marshall Anderson,
W. B. Marfield, Charles E. Groce and M. Hoover.
THE CITY BUILDING.
This is a fine brick structure, with a slate roof, situated on the
corner of Court and Franklin streets, opposite the court house.
It was commenced in the spring of 1860, and finished in June of the
following year. It is three stories high, and thirty-eight
feet in width, fronting on Court street, by seventy-five in length
on Franklin. William Doane was the designer of the plan
and the superintendent of construction; and both the design and the
execution are creditable to this artistic and mechanical skill.
The front part of the lower story is occupied as an
engine room of the fire department. The mayor's office is in
the west end. Fronting on Franklin street. The second
story is occupied by the council room, solicitor and clerk's office,
and room for city engineer. On the third floor are three
neatly furnished rooms to accommodate the members of the several
fire companies; and in the basement under the mayor's office, is the
The whole, though far enough from being pretentious,
is very creditable to the city, and was evidently built to last.
The cost was fifteen thousand dollars, including the furniture of
the mayor's office, council room, and city prison. But the
building shows for considerably more than his money, as it was very
economically built, the work being let in parts to several
mechanics, by a committee of the city council.
THE FLORAL NURSERY AND GREENHOUSE.
A RARE LITERARY AND SCIENTIFIC ENTERPRISE.
AN OBLITERATED VILLAGE.
A MEMENTO OF THE PECULIAR INSTITUTION OF A NEIGHBORING STATE.
COLONEL ANDERSON'S CABINET.