A Part of Genealogy Express


Welcome to
Pickaway County, Ohio
History & Genealogy



History of Pickaway County
Source:  History of Franklin & Pickaway Counties, Ohio
Illustrations and Biographical Sketches
Published by Williams Bros. 1880



       * CHURCHES

       * SCHOOLS
       * SOCIETIES
       * TOWNSHIP
            * SETTLEMENTS

    < NEXT PAGE>




     As early as the beginning of the present century Presbyterian services were held within the bounds of what was then Mount Pleasant, now Kingston, congregation, by ministers of the old Washington Presbytery, the territory of which embraced a part of Kentucky and southern Ohio.  One of these ministers, Rev. James Robinson,  a student of the well-known Dr. McMillan, organized, in 1808, the Pickaway church of Ross county, to which he ministered in connection with Mount Pleasant.  He preached also occasionally to the Presbyterians of Circleville, holding services in the courthouse.
     In 1822 Columbus Presbytery was constituted from the territory covered formerly by the Washington Presbytery, and at its first meeting the congregations of Mount Pleasant and Circleville were reported as united and able to sustain a pastor.  Rev. William Burton was appointed to the charge of the same, and installed as pastor September 13, 1822.  At this time the Circleville church had twenty members and two elders, Jacob Hughes and Benjamin Cox.
     In 1828 the congregation was incorporated by act of assembly as the First Presbyterian Church of Circleville.  Lots one hundred and nine and one hundred and ten were deeded by Andrew Huston to Dr. Finley and Dr. Luckey, trustees, for the purposes of a Presbyterian church, in consideration of one hundred dollars.  A plain, one-story brick edifice was erected on the site thus provided - the same now occupied by the congregation.  The building had sittings for some two hundred and fifty worshippers.
     In the winter of 1830-31 both the Mount Pleasant and the Circleville congregations were visited by a through and extensive revival, which added fifty-six members to the Circleville church.  Thus strengthened, the members extended a call to Mr. Burton for his whole time and he was installed as pastor of the First church of Circleville, April 8, 1831.  The elders of the church at this time, from which it dates its separate existence, were Matthew McCrea and James B. Finley.  The number of communicants was one hundred and ten.
     The pastorate of Mr. Burton continued until the spring of 1835, when he resigned his charge to accept one at Piketon.  He was a native of Massachusetts, a graduate of Dartmouth college, studied theology with his uncle, Dr. Asa Burton, of Thetford, Vermont, and was a man of fine logical and rhetorical powers.
     From May 2, 1836, until March 21, 1842, the pastorate was held by Rev. Franklin Putnam.  During this period the division of the Presbyterian church into Old School and New School took place, and the First church of Circleville voted, August 13, 1838, to adhere to the exscinded synods.  The vote was forty-eight for to nine against such action; and, after a brief interval, the minority peaceably withdrew and organized the Central Presbyterian church, in connection with the Old School assembly.  In 1842 Mr. Putham, after a prosperous pastorate, resigned his charge because of ill health, and the church resolved that "we feel it our duty and privilege to follow him and his family with kind remembrances and prayers."
     March 11, 1844, the congregation extended a call to Dr. James Rowland, who ministered with great acceptance and success, and with the favor of the entire community, until his death, in 1854.  During his pastorate the present commodious and convenient church edifice was erected, at a cost of about fourteen thousand dollars.  The committee on subscriptions were N. S. Gregg, S. Marfield, Dr. C. Olds, Dr. Rowland, W. W. Bierce, Chauncey U. Olds.  During the erection of the building the congregation worshipped in the seminary.  The first with the interment of the pastor, Dr. Rowland.  His remains repose under the belfry, and a suitable mural tablet in the vestibule expresses the affection of his bereaved parishioners.
     Rev. P. M. Bartlett, now president of Tennessee university, was pastor from Jan. 29, 1855, until Apr. 1857.
     Dec. 20, 1857, Rev. Henry Calhoun, formerly of Coshocton, Ohio, began his labors as pastor.  That winter was one of deep religious interest, and thirty persons, mostly heads of families, were added to the church at the spring communion.  After a prosperous pastorate, Mr. Calhoun resigned Dec. 20, 1865.
     June 2, 1867, Rev. H. R. Hoisington entered upon his duties as pastor.  His services were highly acceptable to the church and the community.  In 1870 the Old School and New School branches of the church were formally re-united in the city of Pittsburgh.  This step brought the First and Central churches of Circleville into the same ecclesiastical relations, and the subject of a union of the two was agitated.  April 28, 1872, Mr. Hoisington resigned and removed to Cleveland, Ohio, that the way might be clear for such a union.  But the Central church having declined to accept the resignation of its pastor, the union was not consummated.
     June 10, 1873, Rev. S. H. McMullin, formerly professor of church history in the theological seminary at Danville, Kentucky, was installed pastor of the church, and is the present incumbent.
     The officers of the church at present are:  trustees, J. A. Hawkes, Thomas Miller, W. M. Drum; session, Otis Ballard, H. A. Jackson; treasurer, William M. Drum; superintendent of Sunday-school, William M. Drum.
     The number of communicants is one hundred and sixty-four; and of children in Sabbath-school, one hundred.
     The church is free from all indebtedness, provides for an annual expense list of two thousand eight hundred dollars, and contributes an average of three hundred dollars to missionary agencies.


     Among the earliest churches of this place and vicinity is the one called Methodist Episcopal.  We only refer to what is historical, in saying that Methodist itinerants were among the first in bearing the gospel to those finding homes in the West.
     Very early, in this century, a place of worship was established about a mile and a half east of this, near the old Lancaster road, at the house of a Mr. Burget.  Before preaching was established here, a few members, moving into this place, were in the habit of going there to worship.  This town was laid out in 1810, by Mr. Daniel Dreisbach.   The first sermon preached by the Methodist minister in the newly-opened town, was by a Methodist minister in the newly-opened town, was by the Rev. William Swayze.  Passing over the country, he made this a place of rest.  Proposals having been made for stated preaching, the question of place arose.  After consultation, the public house of Mr. Andrw Ensworth, standing on the east side of the circle, in the locality now occupied by the corner of Court and Mains streets, others, upon the ground occupied by Philip Warner), was offered and accepted.
     About 1812 to 1815, a local preacher by the name of Emmet, living west of this , in company with another, whose name is forgotten, was accustomed to visit this place and hold occasional services.  In process of time, during that period, a class was organized under the supervision of these local ministers, consisting of eight persons, namely, Louisa Hare, Elizabeth Burget, MArgaret Botkin, Margaret Davis, John Eli, Sarah Burget, and two colored women - Lydia Smith and her mother, Venice.  Only one of the original class survives, she who is familiarly known among the membership as mother Hare.
Through the instrumentality of Lydia Smith, commonly known as Aunt Lydia, a Methodist church was raised here among the people of her own color.  She died in 1875, having witnessed, according to the testimony of both white and colored people, a good confession for Christ upwards of eighty years, dying peacefully, at the extreme age of ninety-five or ninety-six.
     The surviving member, Mother Hare, is the daughter of one who was a pioneer Methodist in Ohio - Nimrod Bright.  She is now in extreme feebleness being in her eighty-eighth year.  She, too, for more than sixty years, has enjoyed among her acquaintance the reputation of being a firm, consistent, and devoted christian.
     In the year 1815 or 1816, the class was regularly taken under the care of the traveling ministry of the church.  Soon after William McArthur, subsequently known as Judge McArthur, was appointed leader.  The society formerly meeting at the house of Mr. Burget,  east of the town, was transferred to this place.  The names of John Burget, John Wright, Mr. Hasselton, and others, are remembered as being early added to the original number; also, William Moore, father of S. A. Monroe, well known to our citizens, who lived where his son now lives, was among the early additions, and proved a devoted friend of the church and the general interests of religion.
     The first places of meeting were school-houses and private dwellings.  Mother Hare says the first place of preaching was in a log school house, with slab seats; then in a better school-house, more nearly in the center of the town.  When the court house was built, worship was transferred to that building, which was used in common by nearly all the religious denominations; then from the court house to the academy, continuing there until a church edifice was put up, which was about the year 1830.  Two lots, numbered one hundred and seventy-one and one hundred and seventy-two near the academy, were purchased of Charles Shoemaker, for two hundred dollars.  The church was built of brick, doubtless made of clay from the old circular earth wall, near which it was erected; but neither the cost of the building, nor the length of time taken in the work, is remembered.
     This church remained as the stated place of worship until it was destroyed by fire, in 1851.  The fire is supposed to have occurred through a defective flue.  This disaster was under the ministry of the Rev. J. A. Brunner.  The first Presbyterian church was kindly offered and accepted for preaching services, and the basement of the Episcopal church for the Sunday school.  The pastor and members immediately went to work to secure another building.  The people of all denominations generously responded to the appeal for a new church.  Because of them town extending southward, it was thought best to change the location.  The old site was abandoned, and the present one, on the corner of Main and Pickaway streets, was secured.
     The building committee of the present edifice consisted of Jacob Welter, Joel Franklin and William C. Taylor, the latter recently deceased.  The cost of the present building, according to Mr. Welter's recollection,  was twelve thousand dollars,  or upwards.  The bell was the gift of a former merchant of this city, Mr. Frederick Cogswell, now deceased.  He also endowed a pew for the pastor's family.  This house was dedicated to the worship of God by the Rev. Dr. Trimble, now of Columbus.  It was several years from the time the church was first occupied until the audience room was fitted up for worship.  From time to time sundry improvements have been added; recently in new windows and renovation, at a cost of two thousand dollars remains, which the ladies are devising ways and means to remove.  The roll of membership now numbers over three hundred.
     This church, after being regularly established as a preaching place, so far as can now be ascertained, was included in what was known as Pickaway circuit - a part of the old "Scioto district."  While in a circuit, it was served by the following ministers:

1816 (most likely while he was on Fairfield circuit), by Michael Ellis
1817 (Pickaway circuit), Michael Ellis and Samuel Brown;
1818 James Quinn
1819 Michael Ellis and John Solomon
1820 David Davidson and Michael Ellis
1821 Cornelius Springer and Peter Warner
1822 B. Westlake and Andrew Kanier
1823 Jacob Hooper and Whitfield Hughes
1824 Wm. Stevens,  and J. T. Donahoe
1825 Z. Connel and M. Jacob Delay and William Reynolds
1828 Benjamin Cooper and J. Young
1829 John Ferree and Jacob Hooper
1830 Solomon Minear and James C. Taylor
1831 David Lewis and H. Baird
1832 David Lewis and Jacob Dixon
1833 Z. Connell and W. T. Snow
1834 J. Delay and Abraham Baker
1835 (now Circleville circuit) S. Hamilton and E. B. Chase
1836 S. Hamilton and E. T. Webster
1837 Isaac C. Hunter and Harvey Camp
1838 Isaac C. Hunter and P. Nation
1839 J. A. Reeder and P. Nation
1840 A. M. Lorraine and T. A. G. Philips
1841 A. M. Lorraine and C. C. Lybrand - making thirty-nine different pastors in twenty-six hears.
1842 (half station), J. C. Bontecue
1843 (full station), J. C. Bontecue - J. M. Trimble, presiding elder.
1844 Joseph J. Hill;
1845 A. B. Wombaugh
1846-7 David Warnock
1848 E. D. Roe;
1849 John Dillon
1850 Jacob Dimmett, who remained only six months, the year being filled out by Rev. John Dreisbach;
1851-2 J. A. Brunner
1853-4 J. M. Jameson
1855 G. W. Brush
1856-7 C. E. Felton
1858-9 A. Brooks
1860-1 A. Byers, who went into the army - his place being supplied by Rev. E. P. Hall
1862-3 I. Crook
1864-5 S. M. Merrill
1866-7 T. R. Taylor
1868 W. T. Harvey
1869-70 H. K. Foster
1871 C. D. Battelle
1872-3 T. H. Philips - his son Howard supplying his place for the last year
1874-6 J. Mitchel
1877-9 C. M. Bethauser, who is, at the present time, visiting his relations in Germany.

It will be seen, therefore, that sixty-four different ministers have been employed sine the first organization of the society.
     Two annual conferences have been held here, one in 1834, presided over by Bishop Soule; the other, in 1861, presided over by Bishop Janes.


     The twenty-sixth day of May, 1817, the Rev. Philander Chase, who had recently been rector of Christ church, Hartford, Connecticut, afterwards bishop of the diocese of Ohio, conducted service according to the liturgy of the Protestant Episcopal church in the United States of America, and preached in the town of Circleville, at which time the present St. Philip's parish was organized, with the following instrument of parochial association:
     "We, whose names are hereunder written, deeply impressed with the truth and importance of the Christian religion, and anxiously desirous to promote its influences in the hearts and lives of ourselves, our families and our neighbors, do hereby associate ourselves together by the name, style and title of St. Philip's church, county of Pickaway, State of Ohio, in communion with the Protestant Episcopal church in the United States of America, whose liturgy, constitution and canons, we do hereby adopt. [Signed]


     In September, 1818, at a parish meeting, presided over by the Rev. Philander Chase, the following gentlemen were elected, to serve until Easter, 1819:  Wm. Seymour and Guy W. Doane, wardens; John E. Morgan, Jas. G. Noxon, Joshua Fulsom, vestrymen.  Wm. Seymour was elected to represent the parish in the convention to be held in Worthington on the first Monday in January, 1819.  On the eighteenth of June, 1819, th parish was visited for the first time by the Rt. Rev. Phhilander Chase, as bishop of the diocese of Ohio.
     The first regular minister was the Rev. Ezra B. Kellogg, who commenced his parochial labors in Circleville, and conducted services one Sunday in four weeks.  Previous to this time, the services were conducted by lay readers and occasional supplies.  How long the Rev. Mr. Kellogg remained as minister in charge, the records do not show.  December 23, 1829, six years after the last recorded vestry meeting, there were a meeting of the parish, at which a vestry was elected to serve until the Easter following.  This vestry immediately opened negotiations with St. Paul's church, Chillicothe, and the Rev. Mr. Bausman, minister in charge of St. Paul's, which resulted in his conducting service here one Sunday in every four weeks, during the two years following.
     The Rev. R. V. Rogers took charge of the parish, September 12, 1832.  On the twenty-sixth of December, of that year, it was resolved by the vestry that G. W. Doane, W. B. Thrall and John L. Green, be constituted a committee to petition the legislature for an act to incorporate the wardens and vestry of St. Philip's church.  The vestry further resolved, that they accept the proposition this day made in writing by Mr. R. Douglas for lot number one hundred and one, on the Mound, for which they were to pay three hundred and fifty dollars, in seven annual instalments, without interest; and that a committee of six be appointed to draft and circulate a subscription for the purpose of raising funds to build a church, and that the following persons constitute said committee: Wm. B. Thrall, R. H. Hopkins, Robert Larrimore, G. W. Doane, J. W. Finley and Wm. McColloch.  At a parish meeting at the house of Mr. G. W. Doane, May, 1833, Messrs. J. G. Doddridge, Wm. B. Thrall and Robert Larrimore, were elected a committee to design a plan for a church, of the relative proportions of the Episcopal church in Columbus, with a seating capacity of three hundred; to contract for materials, and have in charge the building of said charge, which was completed in the year 1834, and was a comfortable and commodious brick building.  The Rev. Mr. Rogers resigned the rectorship to return to his home, in England, the eleventh day of March, 1836.  Previous to the erection of this church, the services seem to have been conducted in the court house and the First Presbyterian church.
     The following were the ministers in charge from this date to the eight day of October 1865:

Revs. W. F. Halsey
W. W. Aruat
Anson Clarke
Alex. McLeaod
Chas. B. Steret
A. D. Benedict
H. N. Bishop
R. L. Nash
D. Risser
C. W. Fearns
Thos. W. Mitchell

October 8, 1865, the Rev. E. Owen Simpson took charge of this parish, in connection with St. John's Lancaster.  During the month of April, 1867, he resigned St. John's and took full charge of St. Philip's, and remained in charge until Easter, 1870.  During this administration the parish greatly prospered; the original church was torn down, and the present very commodious, substantial and beautiful stone church was erected, at a cost of fifteen thousand dollars, paid for and consecrated.  Rev. E. Owen Simpson and Messrs. Wm. B. Marfield and Alfred Williams were the building committee.  The corner stone was laid August 16, 1866, by the Rt. Rev. Bishop McIlvaine, and the church was consecrated April 23, 1868, by the Rt. Rev. Bishop Bedell.  During the erection of thier church, the congregation worshiped in the First Baptist Church.  Sine 1870, the following have been the ministers in charge:

Revs. W. C. Mills, H. C. Camp, J. T. Franklin, C. A. Bragdon and J. H. Logie,  the latter having been ordained deacon in the church by the Rt. Rev. Bishop Jaggar, of the diocese of Southern Ohio, on the twenty-third day of February, 1879, and at the same time he was appointed, by the bishop, as minister in charge of the church.
     In 1874, a rectory was purchased, at a cost of four thousand dollars, which makes the total value of the church property about nineteen thousand dollars.


     The early history of the Lutheran church in this place is involved in much obscurity.  A division occurred in 1859, resulting from differences in theological opinion, since which time there have been two separate congregations, each claiming to be the rightful successor of the original organization.  We have received, from representatives of both congregations, historical sketches, from which we condense the following brief history of the church, down to the time of the separation.
     Among the heads of families attached to the Lutheran church, who emigrated, principally from Pennsylvania, and settled in Circleville and its immediate vicinity, early in the present century, are recorded the following:
Jacob Zieger, sr., George Zimmer, Samuel Watt, Philip Zieger, Jacob Zieger, jr., Frederick Zieger, John Valentine, Peter Apple, Valentine Keffer, Peter Trees, Heinrich Trees, William Moyer, Peter Herbster, Heinrich Ely, "Old Father Try," Anthony Weaver, John Weaver, John Row, Mr. Earnhart, sr., and others.
     In the year 1811, the Evangelical Luteran synod of Pennsylvania delegated the Rev. Jacob Leist to go to Ohio and Organize congregations.  He preached his first sermon here on the 28th of August, 1811.  As this was less than a year after the town was laid out, it must have been one of the first sermons (if not the very first) preached in the place.  For a long time he held services once in four weeks.  All the members being familiar with German, the services were held exclusively that language for several years.  There was no church building in town, and the meetings were held in such places as could be obtained.  After the court house was built in the old circle, this denomination, as well as others, used it for their meetings.  It is claimed that the Rev. Mr. Leist organized a church in due form; and, judging from the amount of material which he found here at the time, as well as from the nature of his mission, nothing can be more probable.  And yet, if such an organization was effected, two things are very remarkable: first, that no scrap of record can be found to testify of its existence; and second, that it should, by common consent, have been entirely ignored in the forming of a new organization to take its place, some twenty years later.  However this mystery is to be explained, it is certain that records, apparently authentic, exist, which show that, in May, 1831, a congregation, taking the name of "the English Evangelical Lutheran Church," was organized, with the Rev. N. B. Little as pastor.  Of the meeting at which this organization was effected, Mr. George Wildbahn was chosen president, and John Marfield secretary.  Following are the names of the gentlemen present and taking part in the meeting:
George P. Kephart, Henry Try, George Hammel, Adam Pontious, Robert Hays, James Carlisle, Gershom M. Peters, Moses Dawley, Michael Pontious, Joseph Landes, Daniel Funk, Michael May, John Valentine, Henry Triece, Samuel Watt, U. P. Kerr, Philip Zieger, John Groce, Willialm B. Thrall, Valentine Keffer, Dr. William N. Lenker, John A. Wolfley, James Kepler, and John Ludwig.
The three last named having been appointed a committee to examine the credentials of the Rev. Mr. Little made a favorable report, and he was thereupon chosen as their pastor.  At the same meeting, or one held very soon after, a committee was also appointed to confer with the Rev. Mr. Leist, who, quite advanced in years, was still residing in the vicinity.  The object of the conference with Mr. Leist  does not very definitely appear.  It is evident, however, that he gave at least a tacit assent to the organization, and thenceforth the venerable missionary drops out of view.
     The Rev. Mr. Little continued in charge about two years and a half, when he resigned; and, on the 23d of February, 1834, the congregation gave a call to the Rev. J. A. Roof, who labored for them acceptably twenty-one years, preaching partly in German and partly in English, when he resigned and moved to Iowa.
     In the fall of 1831, soon after Mr. Little commenced his ministrations, steps were taken to build a church; the sum of two thousand three hundred and thirty-seven dollars being raised for that purpose by subscription, part of which was paid in money, and part in materials or work on the building.  The south half of the "area on Bastile avenue" was obtained as a site, and the corner stone was laid in the spring of 1832.  The building contained a basement and audience room, the dimensions being sixty-five feet in length and forty-five in width.  The basement was occupied till 1839, in which year the audience room was completed.
     After the resignation of Mr. Roof, there was a vacancy of about two years in the pastorate, when the Rev. Joel Swartz, of Shenandoah county, Va., accepted a call in the latter part of March, 1857.  He also preached in German and English.  It was during the administration of Mr. Swartz that the church was permanently divided.  We should have no heart, even if we had time and space, to write the history of the painful theological controversy which culminated in this unhappy division, nor of the still more painful lawsuit by which the party that felt themselves compelled to withdraw from the church, sought to regain possession of the property.  Suffice it to say that, at the annual meeting which was held on the 7th of March, 1859, the party corresponding to what is known as "old school," or "high church," in other  religious bodies,  retired, leaving the "new school," or "low church" party, with Mr. Swartz at their head, (whom they retained for another year) in possession of the church.  Each party elected officers, claiming to continue the original organization.  The so-called old Lutherans brought suit against the so-called new Lutherans, for the possession of the church property, both parties claiming their right to it.
     The decision of the court of common pleas, in which the case was tried, was in favor of the so-called old Lutherans.  The case, however, was appealed to the district court, which (in effect, at least) reversed the decision of the court below.  The old Lutherans could have brought suit by another form of action, but concluded not to do so.  They were served for a time by neighboring ministers, and remained in the Ohio synod.  Mr. Swartz and his congregation connected themselves with the Miami synod.  Thus two congregations existed.  The party that adhered to Mr. Swartz took (or retained) the name of


     The Rev. Mr. Swartz continued in charge one year, when he resigned, and the Rev. Thomas Hill was elected in his place, May21, 1860.  He was succeeded by the Rev. M. L. Wilhelm, March 31, 1866.  During the administration of Mr. Wilhelm a new brick church was built, at a cost of about eight thousand dollars.  He remained till the church was furnished and dedicated, when he resigned, and was succeeded by the Rev. H. B. Miller, December 29, 1868.  Mr. Miller remained a little less than a year  - then resigned and went to Tarleton, Ohio.
     The names of the ministers who succeeded him, with the length of the ministry of each, are as follows: 
The Rev. Thomas Hill (second term), one year; Rev. E. W. Sanders, three years.  Then there was a vacancy one year, and the Rev. J. M. Ruthrauff was elected, September 13, 1874, and continued a year and a half.  The present minister, Rev. J. W. Swick, accepted a call to the charge of this congregation, April 6, 1879.
     The party that withdrew from the church took the name of


     In June, 1859, the Rev. C. Albrecht received and accepted a call to the pastorate of this congregation, and remained until April, 1860, when the Rev. John Wagenhals was called.  Then the Trinity congregation obtained, by order of the court of common pleas, from the director of the town, W. W. Bierce, a lot known as the "public," or "city," or "Presbyterian" burying ground; and built thereon a neat brick church, at a cost of about five thousand dollars.  It was dedicated May 27, 1866.   A commodious parsonage was built on the same lot, about the same time.
     In 1868 the Rev. Mr. Wagenhals resigned his pastoral office, on account of feeble health and advanced age,  having served eight years.  In the same year the Rev. B. M. Lenker accepted a call from the church, and remained until 1870.
     On account of a diversity of opinion in the Ohio synod, on certain doctrinal points in dispute among the clergy, a division took place in the English district of this congregation.  A number of older families withdrew, as they were not willing to make these questions a test of true Lutheranism, having previously been considered open questions, left to the discretion of pastors and congregations.  The members remaining in the church after the resignation of Mr. Lenker, were served first by the Rev. E. L. S. Tressel, and subsequently by the Rev. A. H. Schultze, who resigned in May, 1879 - the pastorate being still vacant.


     At a general conference, in May, 1833, it was resolved that the United Brethren church should have a printing establishment of its own, and that said establishment be located at the town of Circleville.  So, to carry out this resolution, the conference appointed a board of trustees consisting of George Dreisbach, Jonathan Dreisbach and Rev. John Russel.  On the twelfth day of April, 1834, the trustees bought a printing press, together with type and causes; and also a lot and two houses of Mr. Z. R> Martin, on North Main street, and on the thirty-first day of December, 1834, the first number of the Religious Telescope was issued, with Rev. W. R. Rinchart as editor.  The publication of the Telescope was conducted for several years without any church organization, there being no members of the society in town except the editor, and perhaps some of the employees of the office.
     In the spring of 1837, Rev. William Hanley, with his family, moved to Circleville, and during this year regular preaching, on alternate Sabbaths with the Universalist preachers, was kept up in the old court house, standing in the center of the circle, where the two main streets now cross.  In the winter of 1838, services were held in the academy, instead of the court house, a building situated in the northeast part of town, close to the lot occupied by the old Methodist church.  During this year [1838] a very interesting meeting was held, during which penitents were often seen on the streets enquiring for the United Brethren prayer meeting, and in some cases, as soon as they entered the enclosure of the meeting, they would fall upon their knees and beg for an interst in the prayers of God's people.  This meeting resulted in the conversion of a number of persons, and the organization of a United Brethren society of about one hundred members.  The tide of the public sentiment was turned in the direction of the new organization, and the people were generally anxious to hear what the newcomers had to say on religious subjects.  The academy building was becoming entirely too small for the attendance; hence, during the year 1839, a church house was erected on East Main street, sixty-six by forty-six feet, made of good material, and, at the time, the largest, and perhaps the best, in the town.
     On the nineteenth day of October 1839, the first quarterly conference was held in the new church, with the Rev. J. Coons as pastor.  The official members of the first conference were Rev. J. Coons, Rev. Elias Vandemark, Rev. William Hanley (being then editor of the Religious Telescope), William Freman, W. R. Rinehart, Robert Levering, Samuel Hargus, James Moodey and Abraham Hostteton.  During this year the church did not meet with any very flattering success.  A few, however, were converted and joined the church.
     At teh annual conference of 1840 Rev. W. W. Davis was sent to Circleville as pastor.  He had some success, but received such a small salary that he would not stay longer than one year.  It would be well to remark here that the reader will have to excuse the writer for not giving the salary of the early pastors, as there is no record of it.  AT the next conference, in 1841, Rev. P. Brock was appointed as pastor, and labored for one year, with little encouragement.  He was assisted during the year by the Rev. W. G. Jarvis.  In the spring of 1842 Rev. L. Davis, now Dr. Davis, of Union Biblical seminary, Dayton, Ohio, was placed in charge.  During this year there was quite a falling off in the membership.  In the year 1843, Rev. Davis was succeeded by the Rev. E. Vandermark.  During this year the church was much embarrassed by debt, and, as a result, had little or no prosperity.  In the spring of 1844, Rev. D. Edwards was appointed as pastor.  In May, 1845, the general conference of the whole church was held in Circleville.  At this conference the pastor, Rev. D. Edwards, was elected editor of the Religious Telescope, and was succeeded in the pastorate by Rev. I. Kretzenger.  During this year the Scioto conference changed its time of meeting from spring till fall; hence, in the fall of 1845, Rev. Kretzenger was succeeded by Rev. R. Hastings.  In October, 1846, Rev. J. M. Spangler was called to the station.  He remained its pastor for two conference years, and his labors were blessed with good results.  At the close of 1847, Rev. H. Jones was appointed as pastor, and served one year.  In the fall of 1848, Rev. Spangler was again appointed.  In 1849 Rev. William Fisher was appointed, and served two years.  During the last few years the church had been gradually decreasing in membership, and its success, as a separate congregation, was despaired of.  Rev. J. Swarence was succeeded, in 1852, by Rev. T. Sloan.  At the close of this year it was admitted that it could not succeed alone, its membership being of the poorer class and unable to support a pastor; consequently it was attached to Pickaway circuit, in charge of Rev. W. W. Davis.  During this year, parties holding claims against the church became impatient, and the sale of the church was threatened; consequently at an annual conference held at the Moris church, Pickaway county, it was resolved that a vigorous effort must be made to lift the claims.  The conference appointed Rev. William Hanley to solicit funds for that purpose, and on the twenty-fourth day of September, 1854, after a debt of over two thousand dollars was provided for, the church was solemnly and joyfully dedicated to the service of almighty God, fourteen years after it was built.
     At the conference above named (1854) Rev. Mr. Fisher was again appointed its pastor.  This year the salary was exceedingly small - indeed, smaller than ever before, owing to the removal of the Telescope office of Dayton, Ohio, which had occurred the year previous.  In the year 1855 we find the Rev. J. S. Davis as pastor.  Rev. Mr. Davis was an excellent man, also a good pastor and preacher.  He filled his own pulpit with credit, and had frequent invitations to exchange pulpits with other ministers of their town.  But alas for the church! just when his success in building up her interests seemed a fixed fact, the Master called him from labor to reward.
     In the fall of 1856 Rev. E. Vandemark was again placed in charge.  During this year the church and pastor became involved in a difficulty about his salary and secret societies, that resulted in almost the entire overthrow of the church.
     From July, 1857, to January, 1862, we have no records whatever upon the journal of the proceedings of the church.  At the last-named date we have Rev. Mr. Fisher again as pastor.  From the close of 1862 to 1866 we find another gap in the records.  I believe there were no services kept up during this time.
     At an annual conference in September, 1866, it was resolved that Circleville church be called a mission station and receive an appropriation from the conference funds to sustain it.  Rev. D. Bonebrake was then appointed to take charge of the congregation.  In coming to the work he found the membership reduced to twenty-nine members.  His labors were greatly blessed, and a number added to the faithful few.  Rev. Mr. Bonebrake received a salary of five hundred and forty dollars.  In Oct., 1867, Rev. J. H. Dickson was placed in charge, and received a salary of four hundred and sixty dollars.  Mr. Dickson remained in charge three years, receiving about the same amount of salary each year.  His labors were blessed with fair results.  In October, 1870, Rev. William Brown received the appointment.  This year there was considerable decrease in the membership by removals.  Mr. Brown received four hudred dollars.  Rev. Mr. Bonebrake, in 1871, was again returned.  His labors, however, were not so successful as before.  His salary, this year, was only three hundred and twelve dollars.  In 1872, Rev. D. A. Johnstone received the appointment and was continued for three years, with fair success, receiving a salary of five hundred dollars each year.  In October, 1875, Rev. Peter Wagner was appointed, receiving a salary of three hundred and twenty-five dollars.  Rev. Mr. Wagner was succeeded, in 1876, by the Rev. J. Everhart.  Owing to ill health, Mr. Evarhart had but little success.  He received for his services a salary of three hundred and fifty dollars.
     The annual conference of 1877 appointed Rev. J. M. MillsMr. Mills took charge of the congregation when it was in a very weak condition.  He had, however, some success the first year, and received a salary of five hundred and fifty dollars.  At the conference of 1878, Mr. Mills was again returned, and at this writing - July, 1879 - is still laboring successfully, and is well received by his church and community.
     The present membership of the church is one hundred and ten; Sabbbath-school scholars enrolled, one hundred and seventy-five; average attendance, one hundred and twenty.
     Present official board of the church:
J. M. Mills, Stephen Miller, Henry Pontious, Samuel Denman, E. Cave, A. Moris, James Sims, and George Denman.


was organized with about twelve members, by the Rev. I. Davis, in the year 1834.  The succession of pastors since that time is as follows:
The Rev. Messrs. Burd, Adkeson, T. Lawrence, L. Davis, Tilman, Coleman, Peters, Arnold, Gibbons, J. Tibbs, W. Lewis, W. D. Mitchel, W. Davison and R. H. Morris, who is the present pastor.  Its membership numbers, at this time, one hundred and sixty-three.
     Mr. Morris and his band of faithful workers are now in the midst of a great struggle to build a new church edifice, the corner stone of which was laid only a few days ago, with appropriate ceremonies.  It is to be a very fine building, forty by sixty feet in dimensions.  The congregation have insisted on calling it "Morris Chapel," in honor of their present beloved pastor.


     In 1838, a number of persons holding letters from Baptist churches in different States, especially Virginia, decided to organize themselves into a regular Baptist church.  For this purpose, on the twenty-seventh of July, the following persons met at the house of Abram VanMeter; Gershom M. Peters, Jacob Van Meter, Acker King, Thos. B. Godard, Milton Peters, Samuel Creighton, Enoch Lamb, Nahum Newton, Maranda Peters, Emily Van Meter, Maria Van Meter, Mary Van Meter, Adelaide Newton, Amy A. King, Eve Everett, Agatha Menear, Priscilla Lamb and Eliza Lamb, and adopted articles of faith and a church covenant.  They were recognized by a council, called on the eighteenth of August, composed of the following persons:  Dr. Jonathan Gonig, president of Granville college, who addressed the church; Rev. T. R. Cressy, who preached the sermon; Rev. Jacob Drake, who made the prayer, and Rev. Ezra Gonig, who gave the hand of fellowship.  There was also a Mr. John Rees present, from Granville church.
     Of these original members, six died in the fellowship of the church; three were excluded; one joined the Presbyterians; one Acker King, is still an active member, having held the office of deacon from the organization of the church to the present time.  The recognition services took place in the Presbyterian church, which was kindly offered for this purpose.  On the day following the recognition services, Charles Dean was received and baptized by D. E. Thomas.
     The first pastor was Rev. Isaac K. Brownsen, who had just graduated from the Theological seminary, at Hamilton, New York, and who, after his ordination at Petersboron, New York, was sent, under the auspices of the Home Mission society, to the then western State of Ohio, and though the influence of Rev. T. R. Cressy, of Columbus, came to Circleville, and took the oversight of the church, Oct. 1838, and remained with them fifteen months.  A portion of this time he was joint pastor of the church at Frankfort, so giving each church but half the time preaching.  A few were added by baptism, but several families moving away, the church was much weakened.
     The young church took hold it its work with zeal, and at a time when the question of anti-missions was agitating the churches throughout the State, took decided grounds in favor of missions, and the first Sabbath evening of each month was devoted to prayer and contribution to that object.  The tenth day of November, 1838, was observed by them as a day of fasting and prayer; thus the work began in humble reliance on God.  They were too poor to erect a house of worship, so they met in the octagonal court house, a portion of the time, and another portion in the Atheneum building and public school building.  They were not left without a pastor when Mr. Brownsen went away, as Rev. John A. Peters had moved into the neighborhood, to be near his brother, G. M. Peters, and, though in feeble health, he undertook the pastoral care of the church, and preached; not only in the town, but at Mrs. Pancake's three miles west of town.
     In September, 1840, they joined the Scioto association, and in May, of the next year, organized a Sunday school, which was not a common thing in those days, commencing with forty scholars, and soon increasing to seventy-five, a number which has not been greatly exceeded since.  G. M. Peters was the superintendent.  The pastor's health was gradually failing, so that the preaching and baptizing were mostly done by neighboring pastors.  In November, 1841, the pastor died, greatly regretted by all the church.  Shortly after his death, two of the neighboring pastors, W. D. Woodfuff, of Frankfort, and T. R. Cressy, of Columbus, held a series of meetings that resulted in much good to the church, and ten persons were baptized, and at a communion season that followed, thirty-two persons sat down to the Lord's table together.  The church was dessirous of securing a pastor, and applied to a Rev. M. Wheaton, of Columbus, but failed to secure his services.  Rev. (afterward Dr.) J. L. Moore visited the church and preached a few weeks, but not with a view to the pastorate.  His labors were very acceptable, and several were added to the church.  At the June meeting, a committee, consisting of G. M. Peters, A. King, J. H. Welsheimer and J. Jaswell, was appointed to inquire into the expediency of building a house of worship.  At about the same time Rev. Henry Billings was called to the pastorate, preaching two Sabbaths in the month.  He remained with the church one year, and when he left, the church abandoned the idea of building a house of worship, though the committee had gone so far as to lease a lot for six years.  The cause was in rather a discouraging state, and what made it still worse, they were unfortunate in calling a young man named Edward Lyons, and at his urgent request called a council to ordain him, February 21, 1844.  He stayed with them but six months, and left them, weakened by his influence, which was not good.  He was published in the Cross and Journal, by vote of the church.
     The next year, in March, Rev. W. D. Woodruff became pastor, and the Sunday-school was revived, and E. P. Peters elected superintendent; but he did not hold the position long, for in November L. L. Woodruff was chosen to that office.  At the end of two years the prospects of the church were so low that Mr. W. D. Woodruff resigned the pastorate to go to a more hopeful field.  Still a few members held on to the cause, and were not willing to give it up.  In August, 1850, the few members came together at the house of J. H. Walsheimer where a vote was taken appointing Eli Todd, L. L. Woodruff, John H. Welsheimer and A. King a committee to purchase a lot on which to erect a house of worship.  Mrs. Catharine Brower, of Pennsylvania, was here at the time, visiting her daughter, Mrs. Anna B. Darst, and took a lively interest in the work, and volunteered to raise funds among her friends east, which was greatly appreciated by the little church, for with that timely aid, and by borrowing fifty dollars, they were enabled to build the house in which they still worship; a small but comfortable house, twenty-five by fifty feet, which was dedicated October 19, 1851.  Rev. - now Dr. - D. A. Randall was called to the pastorate, but after preaching six months he was obliged to give up the worked on account of ill health.  The church was loth to part with him, as his preaching and work were very acceptable, indeed, to all.  Through Mr. Randall the church was induced to extend a call to Benjamin Bedell, a recent graduate of Granville college, who was invited to preach to them six months, with a view to final settlement.  Mr. Bedell arrived in Circleville the last of January, 1853.  Before the end of February it was deemed advisable to call a council to ordain him, which was done Mar. 2, 1853, Rev. Dr. H. Davis, Rev. S. T. Griswood, Rev. W. D. Woodruff and Rev. D. A. Randall participating.  This pastorate was the longest the church ever had, being three years and eight months.  During that time the church enjoyed two revival seasons, and more than doubled its membership.
     In the spring of 1855, after a very interesting work, in which the pastor was assisted by Rev. H. A. Brown, it was decided to proceed to put up a parsonage on the church lot.  It was quite an undertaking for the church, but by much personal sacrifice, and with outside help, it was accomplished and the pastor moved into it on the third day of July, the same year.  That was a very joyful period for the church, and it was hoped its dark days were over, but it was not be so.  The Scioto association met with the church that year, in August, and during the session of the association the pastor was laid aside the sickness from which he did not sufficiently recover to resume labor for several weeks, and wehn he did resume labor the interest had sensibly diminished.  The heart of the young pastor was discouraged, but he did not decide to leave the field until September, 1856, when several families, that had been good helpers, having moved away, and the congregation being reduced to a very small number, the pastor gave in his resignation and went to Wilmington.  The church was greatly enfeebled and disheartened, and suspended meetings, and for a period of sixteen years the church stood idle, only as it was rented to other denominations, who occupied it while they were building their own houses of worship.  It was thus occupied by the Episcopal, English Lutherans and Evangelical churches.  In June, 1872, Rev. J. Kyle, a missionary of the Scioto association visited the place and found the few old brethren that were left, together with quite a number who had moved in, ready to resume work, and as they could have preaching only occasionally, they chose Mr. A. C. Elster a leader of the meetings.  Rev. Dr. S. Talbot, president of Dennison university, and Rev. A. J. Lyon, of Lancaster, preached for a few times till, in November, they called Rev. J. Chambers to preach for them half the time.  There was no especial growth, but they kept together and sought to regain the ground that had been lost.  They moved the house of worship to the side of the lot on which it stood and purchased an organ, so that, when Mr. Chambers left, after two years' labor, the church was in condition to go right forward, and they called Mr. J. Adams, just from Chicago Theological seminary, to the pastorate.  In the meantime the house of worship had been repaired and gas fixtures introduced.   Mr. Adams began his work in August, 1875, and was ordained the next month, September 16th, Rev. Dr. D. A. Randall, Rev. G. G. Harriman, Rev. E. W. Dannells, Rev. J. Chambers and Rev. W. W. Sawyer taking part in the services.  The pastor addressed himself to the work before him with characteristic energy, and his work told for good.  The cause rose sensibly under his ministration.  The membership increased from twenty-seven to sixty-one during his three years and one month pastorate.  When, at length, he felt compelled to resign and leave the field (September, 1878,) it was a great grief to many members of the church.   The church then recalled Rev. B. Bedell, a former pastor, who returned to this, his first pastorate, and began his second term of service in October, 1878.  The first work that was done was to repair the parsonage, so that it was made a very comfortable home for the pastor.
     In this review of the forty years' history of the Baptist church of Circileville, we find that over twenty years of that time they had no pastor and no regular service.  There have been connected with them, from first to last, two hundred and eight members.  They have had nine pastors - I. K. Brownson, j. A. Peters, H. Billings, E. Lyons, W. D. Woodruff, D. A. Randall, B. Bedell, J. Chambers and J. Adams; for deacons - A. King, G. M. Peters, J. J. Bugh and F. L. Lemon; thirteen clerks - N. Newton, S. K. Greenleaf, E. Lamb, E. P. Peters, G. Dalton, W. C. Gildersleeve, C. T. Emerson, L. L. Woodruff, W. H. H. Stone, W. H. C. Dodson, A. C. Elster, S. Ward and L. D> Lyon; seven Sunday-school superintendents - G. M. Peters, E. P. Peters, Dr. S. H. Potter, L. L. Woodruff, A. C. Elster, S. Ward and F. L. Lemon.  For the year 1877 and the present year (1879) they have maintained mission Sunday-schools; of the school for the year 1877, which was located  three miles in the country, L. D. Lyon was superintendent, and of the school established this year, in town, Dr. J. C. King is superintendent.


     In 1838, just after the disruption of the Presbyterian denomination, the Central Presbyterian congregation was formed.  In the old church, known as the "First," the minister Mr. Putnam, and a majority, voted to join the New School branch.  They retained the old site and building.  The minority withdrew peaceable and came down town to organize the Old School church - the one now called the "Central."  Of the sixteen or seventeen persons who formed it, only one is now remaining.  They held a meeting in "Squire" Bell's parlor, in the house now owned by Mr. L. S. ScovilDr. James Hoge, of Columbus, organized them as a church.  In various parlors they worshipped.  It was "the church in the house."  Out on one of the streets called East Street which started from the center of the town like the spokes from the hub of a wheel - for the town was circular - stood the old brick academy.  Here, for a time, the Old School Presbyterians worshipped.
     Rev. George Wells, a young man, became the first pastor.  He was ordained and installed at a meeting held in teh Lutheran church.  The audiences increased, the house became too small, and the Rev. Mr. Roof, of the Lutheran church - a warm personal friend of Elder Matthew McCrea - tendered the use of the Lutheran church.  For two years the congregation worshipped there every two weeks.  Subsequently they rented a large room in the building called Olds' block - a room over the Wallace dry-goods store.  The lower room was occupied as a liquor saloon.  Hon. Samuel Galloway, one evening, beginning a temperance address in the church room above, rose and gravely said:

"There's a Spirit above and a spirit below;
The Spirit above is a Spirit divine -
The spirit below is a spirit of wine.

     But the people were not satisfied with a room merely; they wanted a house and home of their own for worship.  Elder Matthew McCrea said he would build a church on his own lot, if they could not get one elsewhere.  They leased ground where now is Wagner's grocery store, and reared a little frame church.  A thankful company they were.  They put a little bell up in the cupola, and elders and ladies' hands pulled that bell rope and rang the people to worship.  A noted revival came upon them in that little house.  But their five years' lease expired.  Their house was purchased and moved across the street.  It is now the hardware store of Mr. Ensworth.  The congregation moved again into Olds' block, and worshipped in the lower room.  Mr. Wells, their pastoral, died, and Mr. McKennon became their next minister.  Soon he was succeeded by Rev. Milton A. Sackett.
    Mr. James McCoy donated to the church the lot of ground whereon their present edifice stands.  A subscription of one thousand six hundred dollars was made, and the congregation began to build.  Six thousand five hundred dollars were finally expended on the building.  For two years the basement only was used for worship.  Then the upper room was finished, and, in 1865, June 3d, the church was dedicated to the service of God.  The ministers present, besides the pastor, were Rev. W. C. Anderson, D. D., of Chillicothe, Rev. Josiah D. Smith, of Columbus, and Rev. J. M. Lowrie, of Lancaster.  The dedication sermon was by Mr. Smith; text - "We have thought of thy loving kindness, O Lord, in the midst of thy temple."
     Mr. Sacket, the pastor, removed, and Rev. George L. Kalb, now of Bellfontaine, succeeded him for ten years. 
     In the autumn of 1864 Rev. William McMillan, the present pastor, assumed the charge.  The congregation increased, and the Sabbath-school, under the superintendence of Mr. A. McCrea, so enlarged that there was not room enough in the lower chamber.  It was the largest school in the synod of Columbus, Old School.
     In January, 1869, the building was enlarged by twenty feet in length.  In 1873 repairs again were needed, and the entire roof was removed, the walls heightened, and the present elegant architecture finished.


     The first religious services held in this place, according to the forms of the Roman Catholic communion, were, in the spring of 1841, at the house of Mrs. Turner.  The next were in the fall of the same year, at the house of Andrew Lynch.
The old church was situated on Franklin street, directly north of the spot where the first Presbyterian church now stands.  The ground (which was purchased of Thomas Huston for a small sum) was partly covered by the ditch and embankments of the old circle.  The people turned out en masse, Protestants as well as Catholics, to fill up the ditch and prepare the ground for the building.  This was commenced in 1843, but not finished till 1846.
     When this church was begun, there were only four permanent families connected with the society, viz: Barnard Riley, Andrew Lynch, George Myers, and John McLane.  A good many new families were brought in by the building of the first turnpike, which was commenced about this time.  The parsonage, connected with the old church, was built in 1854, at a cost of about two thousand dollars.  The whole was sold in1868 for about two thousand five hundred dollars, and the price was put into the new church.
     The ground for this fine brick edifice, which is situated on Mound street, was bought of Henry F. Page for about fourteen hundred dollars, and presented to the church by one of its most liberal benefactors, Edward Smith.  The building was commenced in the summer of 1866, the foundation only being laid that year.  It was enclosed and roofed the year following.  Services were first held in it in 1868, although it was not then plastered.  That work was done in 1869.  The pews, altar, pulpit, etc., were put in in 1870,and finally, in 1874, it was brought to its present state of completion.  The entire cost of the building was about fifteen thousand dollars, which was raised by the liberal contributions of many outside of the church, as well as by the self-denying liberality of all those in it. 
     The elegant and commodious parsonage, adjacent to the church, was built in 1871 or '72, at a cost of about twenty-five hundred dollars.
     The priests who have ministered to this church are named (in the order of their service) as follows:
     Father Young, Father Junker (both of whom afterwards became bishops), P. Tschieder, Michael Ford, I. N. Thisse, I. D. Duffy, Edward Fitzgerald, C. L. Pindar, Sergius Stehoulepnikoff, A. M. Marzeand, D. B. Cull, and A. O. Walker, who is the present incumbant


was organized in the year 1856, by the Rev. William Norman, with three communion members, namely: Lucy Winters, Enoch Weaver, and Sarah Hollinsworth.  For some time their meetings were held in the houses of the members, but before the first year was ended they had purchased a lot for a church, with a dwelling house on it, which was used for their religious services till 1869.  This lot is on the corner of Water and Mill streets.  It was bought for six hundred dollars, and was paid for by the end of the fourth year.
     Their present substantial brick edifice was built in 1869, at a cost of four thousand five hundred dollars.  Quite a heavy debt was incurred in the building, which was secured by a mortgage on the property; but this debt, also, was wiped out by the end of the fourth year, and they are now even with the world, as every church out to be.
     The succession in the pastorate is as follows:  William Norman, Grayson Jones, Elder Day, from Springfield; Jesse Meeks, Andrew Hunt, Wm. Norman (second term), Andrew Hunt (second term), Wallace Shelton, and William Nash, whose ministry began October 23, 1878, and who is still serving.  The membership, at the present time, numbers one hundred and twenty-nine.
     We cannot help thinking that this is a very creditable record for a people who have so much to struggle against as the Africans have in this country.
     William Norman, the patriarch of this little flock, has long enjoyed the confidence and esteem of this community.  He is a mulatto, with almost Caucasian features, and as he evidently does not regard cleanliness as the chief of the moral virtues, he might pass for a European of rather untidy habits.  He was born near Richmond, Virginia, about the year 1815, his father being a slave and his mother a free woman.  At the age of eight years he was taken to Tennessee and "bound out" to a certain Dr. Calhoun.  Being cruelly treated, he ran away from his master at about eighteen years of age, and, after passing through the usual experiences of a fugitive slave, he found himself, in 1833, in Chillicothe.  There he remained till 1856.  About the year 1841 he became converted and was baptized.  Two years later, having "picked up" considerable education, and being somewhat gifted in discourse, he was ordained to the ministry of the Baptist communion by Elder W. Shelton.  He settled here in 1857, having been here a year before in the capacity of missionary, and assisted, as above slated, in the organization of the church of which he was the first pastor and has always been the main pillar.  He has acted as the financial agent of the congregation in the purchase of their property and in the building of their church; has raised most of the subscriptions collected here and elsewhere to aid in paying their debts, and has contributed largely from his own earnings for the same object.  Even when acting as pastor of the church, he has always followed some temporal calling.  Like the early apostles, he believes in immersion and deals in fish.  By industry and the closest economy, he has amassed a nice little property of about four thousand dollars.  Long may he live to enjoy the fruits of his labor.


     This church was organized by the Ohio conference, in 1869, under the pastoral charge of Rev. Wm. Whittington, missionary.  In 1871, Rev. Jesse Lerch succeeded Rev. W. Whittington, and labored for three years with success and acceptability.  In May, 1874, Rev. Vandersall became the pastor, and labored for three years with success.  In April, 1877, Rev. S. S. Condo was stationed in charge of the church, and is now spending his third year successfully.
     Since the organization of this church it has continued to prosper, year after year, and is the most prosperous church in the city.  At the close of the two years' labor of its first pastor, its membership was sixty-two.  Its present membership is two hundred.  Its sustains a Sunday-school of two hundred and sixty scholars, and a Young Mens' Christian association.  Pastors cannot remain longer than three years, according to the laws of the church.



CLICK HERE to Return to
CLICK HERE to Return to
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights