--- SHARON TOWNSHIP was erected by
the county commissioners May 1, 1851, so as to include and be
composed of the following territory, to-wit:
"Commencing at the southeast corner of the west half of
section 32, in township number 6 of range number 9; thence north
through the center of sections 32, 29, 20, 17, 8 and 5 to the
northeast corner of the west half of section 5, in said township
number 6 and range 9; thence west along township lines to the
northwest corner of section 3, in township number 6 and range
10; thence south along section lines to the southwest corner of
section 34 in said township and range; thence east along the
township lines to the place of beginning, containing 27
Samuel Sailor was a
pioneer and a well-known character. He first located south
of Sharon, prior to 1815, and built a camp, making his living by
hunting. He used to say that he was here seven weeks
without seeing a human being. He came from Washington
County, Pa. After he had made a small improvement he
brought his wife here, and they lived alone in the woods, remote
from any neighbors. Mr. Archibald, who came in
1815, entered the land on which Sailor had squatted.
The two were unable to agree as to the amount which Sailor
was entitled for his improvement, and went to law to settle the
matter. The trial was held in Cambridge, this territory
then belonging in Guernsey County, and the disputants and
witnesses walked there, nearly thirty miles, each carrying his
rifle. Sailor removed to what is now the western
part of Sharon Township, where he died in 1871, aged about
eighty-eight years. He was a large man, physically; tall
and strong, with no superfluous flesh. He was a veritable
backwoodsman, rough and uncouth in appearance, but honest,
kind-hearted and obliging. The following incident, related
by Mr. William Long, who had the story from the old man's
lips, will serve to illustrate his bravery and neighborly
After Sailor settled in the western part of the
township his nearest neighbor on the south was a Mr. Brown,
who lived with his family at the forks of Olive Green Creek,
about live miles distant. One day Sailor saw two
suspicious characters near his own home. On interrogating
them, he received unsatisfactory replies, and the men departed
in the direction of Brown's cabin. Knowing that
Brown was away from home, he took his gun and followed them,
satisfied that they meant mischief. Arrived at his
neighbor's, he pushed upon the door and discovered the two
tramps seated at the table partaking of a meal which they had
compelled Mrs. Brown to supply, while she was waiting
upon them, nearly frightened to death. A glance revealed
the situation, and as one of the men arose from the table, and
assumed a hostile attitude, Sailor knocked him down and
quickly threw him out of the door. The other was treated
in the same manner. Sailor then barred the door and
remained during the night at his neighbor's cabin, guarding it
against the possible return of the vagrants. But the
latter were evidently satisfied, and did not care to run the
risk of another encounter was Sailor's powerful fists.
On one occasion Sailor had a raising, and of
course had to have whisky. He was quite fond of that
beverage himself. His friend, Samuel Long, knowing
this, made him promise that he would not open the keg until the
day of the raising. Sailor went to Archer's
distillery, in the vicinity of East Union, and brought back a
keg of whisky on his shoulders. He reached Mr. Long's
cabin in the night, and asked for something with which to open
the keg. Mr. Long reminded him of his promise, but
Sailor persisted, and opened the keg. He still had
about eight miles farther to walk, but took up his burden and
started for home. He did not arrive until two o'clock in
the afternoon. By that time the building was up; but the
whisky was none the less welcome on account of the delay in its
Sailor was one of the best hunters that the
country afforded. He killed many bears, deer and wolves,
and took delight in the pursuit of them. He said that he
once shot three deer, without moving from his tracks, as fast as
he could load and fire. The deer, instead of fleeing when
the first one was shot, came towards him. His explanation
of the matter was that the echo of the report of his rifle,
flung back by a hill opposite, sounded like the report of
another gun, and drove the animals toward him.
Among the earliest settlers were the Archibalds,
Wileys, Boones, Longs and Smoots, who located near
where Sharon now is. The present western part of
the township was little settled early, and for years
improvements progressed very slowly in that part of the
William Wiley died in 1816, and his remains were
the first that were buried in the old graveyard at Sharon.*
His sons, James, William, and Thomas, all lived
here. John, another son, lived near Caldwell
and had an early horse-mill. He was something of a hunter
and once killed a large bear near where Alexander Boggs
now lives. Betsey, wife of "Billy" Boone,
and Annie, wife of Joshua Clark, belonged to the
same family. All were worthy people and reared large
Thomas Wiley, of another family, came from
Belmont County and settled south of Sharon. He was
originally from Pennsylvania. His descendants are still
here. His sons were John, Samuel and Thomas;
and his daughters, Jane, Margaret Mary and Agnes.
James Archibald was born in Ireland, married in
Pennsylvania, and came from Belmont County, settling south of
Sharon in 1815, and his was probably the first family that made
a permanent location in the township. The sons were
John, David, William, James and Elza. William,
born in 1800, is still living, and a resident of the township,
and is among the few that remain of the original settlers of the
county. John Archibald was a prominent man in early
years, serving as justice over twenty years. He was also a
county commissioner several terms. His first commission as
justice was issued while this part of the county belonged to
Elza Archibald was born in 1806 and has
followed farming. He was a teacher in early life. He
was married in 1828 to Mary Boyd, and in 1852 to Phebe
Rutan, who is still living. Elza and his
brother William are the only survivors of the family,
which consisted of five sons and one daughter.
The Archibald family left Belmont County, one
mile west of St. Clairsville, on the 26th of March, 1815, and
reached their new home on the 5th of April. They started
with a wagon, and a part of the way had to cut their own road.
They left all but the two front wheels of the wagon on the way,
and marked the trees along the route so they would know the way
James Archibald had one of the first orchards in
this region, and people came from distant points to procure the
fruit, which was then a great luxury. Mr. Archibald
and John McKee procured the trees at Belpre, on the Ohio
River. They went with an ox-team and were two days going
and returning. They brought back three hundred trees.
William Boone was a pioneer on the present farm
of Samuel Eakin. He sold out to Alexander
Greenlee, and moved away. Greenlee came from
Belmont County and remained until 1848, when he sold out to
Eakin. Greenlee married a Miss Marquis.
Alfred Smoot, Esq., is one of the old residents,
and his recollections of pioneer events have added much to the
interest of this chapter. Mr. Smoot was born in
Fauquier County, Va., Dec. 25, 1809. In 1817 he came to
Ohio with the family, his father, Lewis Smoot, settling
near the present town of Sharon. His father cleared and
improved the farm on which he died in 185_. Alfred
worked at McConnelsville when a young man, and in 1836 returned
to Sharon Township, settling on a farm, from which he removed to
his present residence in Sharon in 1870. He has had three
wives and is the father of nine children, six of whom are
living. He has held the offices of justice of the peace
and notary public.
Until the formation of Morgan County the southern half
of the present township of Sharon belonged to Washington County,
and the northern half to Guernsey. Buffalo Township,
Guernsey County, originally Sharon Township. Manchester
and Olive Townships, erected in 1819, included the present
territory of this township until Noble County was made.
When Morgan County was erected a hope was entertained of getting
the county seat located on what was afterward the Edward
Parrish farm. The land was then owned by Isaac
Hill. Land was cleared and logs were cut on the
present Joseph Parrish farm with which to build a
temporary court house. Four different parties made land
entries, taking up an entire section, on which it was proposed
to locate the seat of justice of the county. Subsequent
events verified the axiom of Burns:
"The best laid plans of men Gang aft
The first school-house in the
township was a log building, which stood in or near the old
graveyard in Sharon. Another early school-house was built
on James Kyle's farm. Among the early teachers were
Eliza Kyle, Thomas Wiley and Peter Ackley.
Along the waters of Olive Green was
a favorite hunting-ground for the pioneers. Hunters
frequently came here from Zanesville and other distant points.
The pioneers were strong, hearty, good-natured, honest
people, who made the best of everything; and, "preserving an
even temper in the midst of hardships," as Horace
expressed it, they enjoyed themselves well, even though the
wilderness was their home. "Frolics" of every sort - log
rollings, huskings, raising, etc., - were largely attended, and
everybody worked with a will and with cheerfulness. There
were no drones, and none that were unwilling to assist a
neighbor who needed help. After they had completed the
task undertaken, the young men would engage in wrestling and
jumping matches, try to play practical jokes on one another, and
in other ways seek to make things agreeable and pleasant.
Whisky drinking was practiced by almost everybody, but there was
seldom any drunkenness or exhibitions of evil temper.
James Kyle settled in 1817, coming from Belmont
County. He died here at an advanced age. His
children were Eliza (Bell), Jane (Morrison), Rebecca (Smith)
and Lucinda (Kuzan). Eliza was an early
Among the early settlers of the township were several
families that were Germans or of German descent. Among
these were Jacob Hawk, Samuel Anthony and other
Anthonys - Jacob, Harmon, George, Conrad, John and Boston
Harmon - Jacob and Boston still living; Peter
Pickenpaugh and his sons, Peter, John, Jacob, Adam
and George, the latter still living here; the
Swanks and some others. The Germans were all
industrious, honest citizens and were generally successful
The Pennsylvania Germans were among the first settlers
in the western part of the township. Among them were
John Shuster, the Anthonys and Klingensmiths.
Of the last named family, all died, except the mother, a few
years after they came.
From 1817 to 1820 the settlement progressed quite
rapidly, several new families coming each year. A second
period of settlement began after Congress passed a law allowing
an entry of forty-acre tracts. It is believed that the
last forty-acre tract in this township was entered by James
Kane, were William Shepard now lives.
Thomas Boyd, of Irish descent, came from Belmont
County, settling about 1818 on the farm now occupied by his son
Robert, and was a prominent early settler.. Arthur
Boyd, born in 1852, now resides on the homestead farm of his
An old resident states that there were no roads in the
vicinity of Sharon in 1817. The nearest approach to a road
was a path which led through the woods from Thomas Wiley's
to Samuel Long's. The first road through the
township was the so-called Center road, from McConnelsville to
Elisha Spencer settled south of Sharon, on land
now owned by Mrs. Kelly. His brother Israel
lived in Olive Township. Both sold out and removed.
Robert Lowe, who married Rebecca Boyd, is
still living where he settled quite early. His parents
located at Olive, among the first settlers on Duck Creek.
William Bell first settled and made a small
improvement near Caldwell, afterwards removing to this township.
He was an Irishman. His sons, William David, and
John, also lived here.
James Scott, from Belmont County, settled prior
to 1825 on land now owned by William Long and John
Keyser. He had several sons, none of whom now remain
in the township. Peter Walters, the Harmons,
and Lewis Shirley were early settlers. The last
operated a horse-mill in early years, which he sold to
Richard Lyons, - James Bigley located early where his
son Joseph lives. Michael Morrison, from
Belmont County, was an early settler where his son Michael
Among the earliest settlers in the western part of the
township were the Brownriggs, Walters and Pickenpaughs,
who came soon after 1817. John Brownrigg, whose son
John is still living, was an Englishman who came to the
township with his family early.
There were no early grist-mills in the township except
horse-mills. Of these Lewis Shirley, in the south
part of the township, has the first. He also operated a
distillery. James Glenn had a horse-mill at Sharon.
Afterward Isaac Parrish and Eldridge Wooton each
erected steam flouring-mils at Sharon. James McGlashan
had a carding machine in operation on Olive Green Creek as early
as 1835. He afterward brought his machinery to Sharon,
bought out Glenn's horse-mill and substituted
The first blacksmith who located in the vicinity was
William Scoggan, who lived south of Sharon. He came
from Guernsey County. He kept a negro who used to drive
his team, hauling salt to Barnesville from McKee's salt works at
Olive. Scroggan left the country and his friends
never heard from him.
When Samuel Long and wife came to this county
Mrs. Long rode upon a horse, which also carried the
house-hold stuff of the family. Mr. Long walked the
entire distance. Shortly after their arrival here Mr.
Long took his horse and returned to Belmont County to bring
out a spinning-wheel. It was cold weather and there was
snow on the ground. Before starting on the return trip he
was given some luncheon and a piece of light punk-wood, the then
universal substitute for matches. When Mr. Long
desired to rest and eat his dinner, he kindled a fire in the
trunk of a dry tree by means of the punk, and after warming,
eating his dinner and feeding his horse, resumed his journey.
He found it no easy thing to carry a spinning-wheel on
horseback, but he succeeded and brought it safely home.
Mr. Long worked at shoemaking for Samuel Sailor, the
pioneer hunter and was paid in bear meat and venison.
Long was no hunter himself, but used to relate with a good
deal of interest how he shot his first and only deer. He
was at a raising after a good fall of snow, when the sun came
out brightly and the snow began to melt. At once all the
others who were present left their work, seized their guns and
started for the woods, knowing that the conditions were
favorable for securing some venison. Not to be out-done,
Long went with the rest to the woods. He had not
proceeded far when he saw a fine deer, and immediately he had a
severe attack of "buck ague," a disease which often attacks
amateur hunters. He was so excited that he scarcely know
what he was doing; but he fired his gun and the deer fell.
Not stopping to see whether he had killed the deer, he again
loaded and fired; then approaching, found that the animal was
dead. When the hunters returned, some of them
unsuccessful, he was much congratulated on his skill as a
marksman, but declared on his part that it was only by good luck
that his aim had been true.
When Sharon postoffice was established in 1830 but two
newspapers were taken among all the patrons of the office.
Peter Ackley received weekly a copy of the London Pall
Mall Gazette, and John Lyons, the Pittsburgh
Christian Advocate. Many times the mail came without
bringing a letter for anybody along the entire route.
Letters were an expensive luxury, all that came a long distance
costing the recipient twenty-five cents for postage. The
mail carrier, a boy on horseback, carrying a tin trumpet on
which he blew a shrill blast to announce his approach, was a
scarcely less important personage than General Jackson
himself, and was looked upon with silent, open-mouthed
admiration by the boys along his route, many of whom no doubt
imagined that his position represented the acme of boyish
eminence. A letter was a nine days' wonder, and whoever
received one generally took the earliest opportunity of
communicating its contents to the neighbors.
This township has furnished to Morgan and Noble
Counties its full share of county and legislative officers.
Among former prominent residents have been Hon. Isaac Parrish,
twice a representative in Congress; William, Parrish,
sheriff of Morgan County; Oliver Keyser, associate judge
in Morgan County, and representative to the legislature from
Noble County; Dr. Jesse M. Stone, associate judge in
Morgan County; Jonah Walters, representative to the
legislature from Noble County; Theodore Parrish, clerk of
Noble Count; William Long, commissioner of Noble County;
Charles Burlingame, county surveyor, two terms;
William Lowe, county surveyor, one term.
James Caldwell started the first store at Olive
Green in 1856, and is still in the mercantile business at this
point. Jacob Swank began building a mill here in
the same year. He has been a merchant here since 1866.
The postoffice at Olive Green was established in 1857.
James Caldwell was the first postmaster and is still in
was born in Guernsey County Jan. 1, 1829. His father, who
was a soldier of 1812, was born in Baltimore, Md.; his mother
was a native of Ireland. The family came to Noble County
in 1826 and Francis has since lived on the same
farm. Mr. Aduddell was married in 1863 to Ellen
Lyons, of this county. They have had eight children,
four of whom are living, viz: Thomas, Annie F., Melton
ARCHIBALD was born in Sharon Township in 1855, and is a
farmer. In politics he is a Democrat. His
grandfather, Archibald, was born in Ohio; his maternal
grandfather in Virginia. His father, born in Sharon
Township in 1827, died in 1875. His mother was born in
Guernsey County in 1825, and is still living. They reared
GEORGE A. BELL is
descended from a family of pioneers. His grandfather was a
soldier of 1812. His father was born in Belmont County in
1804, and in 1827 married and settled in Manchester Township,
Morgan County, where George A. was born May 19, 1838.
He is one of a family of ten children, seven of whom are living.
He was married in 1860 to Rachel M. Daniel, of Caldwell;
children: Thaddeus H. and Nettie I. The
family are Presbyterian and Republicans.
ROBERT BELL is of
Irish and Scotch descent. Both his grandfathers were in
the Revolutionary War. His parents were both born in
Belmont County, whence his father removed to Morgan County in
1837. His mother died in 1837, and his father came to
Noble County in 1869. Robert was born in Belmont
County in 1837, and came to Morgan County with his parents.
He was the oldest, of five children, the others being Agnes
A., Mary J., Nancy (who married Oliver Keyser), and
Alice. Mr. Bell is a farmer. He has
served as justice of the peace. He is a Democrat in
W. B. BOYD, a
prominent farmer, was born in Sharon Township in 1856.
Mr. Boyd has 366 acres of land, and is largely engaged in
breeding fine stock. Mr. Boyd has 366 acres of
land, and is largely engaged in breeding fine stock.
Mr. Boyd was married in 1875 to Helen L. Carr, of
Sharon. They have two children. e is a Democrat and
a member of the Methodist Protestant church, to which his wife
JOSEPH BIGLEY was
born Sept. 30, 1826, and resided on the farm which his father
entered in 1821. His parents were natives of Pennsylvania;
his father was a soldier in the War of 1812, and came to this
township form Belmont County. The family consisted of four
daughters and two sons, all living except Jacob, who died
in 1844. Joseph was married in 1858 to
Catherine Ijams, of this county; children: James I.
(deceased), John R., Mary M., Wiley H., Jefferson W., Amy C.,
Joseph V. and Hettie M. Mr. and Mrs. Bigley are
members of the Christian Church. Mr. Bigley's
father died when he was but seven years of age and the widow and
family were left to brave the hardships of pioneer life alone.
The mother was a brave woman, well fitted for her position.
She once killed a large rattlesnake alone and unaided, and on
another occasion killed a deer; the animal, pursued by dogs,
jumped into the creek; she seized a rail, threw it upon his
horns and drowned the deer, by getting upon the rail and holding
his head under water.
JOHN BROWN was
born in Belmont County in 1815, and has been a merchant and
farmer during life. Formerly he was in the mercantile
business at Newburg, in this county, where he did a large
business, buying and shipping tobacco to Baltimore. He has
been twice married and is the father of nine children, all of
whom are living.
WILLIAM BROWN was
born in Belmont County, in 1842. His father and mother
were also born in the same county. They came to Newburg,
Noble County, and thence to Sharon Township. William
enlisted in the Ninth Ohio Cavalry and served during the war,
taking part in the battles of Big Creek Gap, Tenn., siege of
Knoxville; Athens, Florence and Decatur; Rousseau raid; East
Point, Ga., Atlanta, Jonesboro', Nashville, Aiken, Columbia,
Fayetteville, Rockingham, Averysboro', Bentonville and Raleigh.
Mr. Brown was married in 1871 to Lizzie Dye;
children: Emmet, Nora, Minnie, Dora and Fulton.
He is a Republican. Mrs. Brown is a member of the
and family came from England and settled in this township
among the early pioneers. He died in 1856. Mary
Brownrigg, daughter of John, married George
Walters, whose parents came from Pennsylvania to Belmont
County. George Walters settled in Sharon Township.
He followed farming; died in 1869, his wife in 1862.
Peter J. Walters, son of George, was born in Sharon
Township, June 7, 1838, and is now a farmer in Noble Township.
He married Theresa A. Brown daughter of Edmond G.
Brown and granddaughter of Dexter Brown, an early
settler, who came from Rhode Island. Edmond G.
Brown married Elmy McFerren, whose parents came from
Pennsylvania and settled in Noble Township in 1835.
Edmond G. Brown died in 1874; his widow is still living.
Peter J. Walters was enrolled as corporal of Company I,
First Ohio Heavy Artillery, June 24, 1863, and served until July
25, 1865, when he was discharged at Knoxville, Tenn.
B. F. BURLINGAME
was born in Noble Township, Oct. 16, 1830, and is the son of one
of the early settlers who came from Rhode Island. Mr.
Burlingame is a Republican in politics, and has followed
farming and shoemaking as his occupations. He was married
in 1861 to Sarah J. Early, a native of Ireland and has
one son - Sidney.
merchant at Olive Green, was born near the site of the town of
Caldwell in 1830, and is one of a family of nine children, seven
of whom are living. He has followed farming and mercantile
pursuits. He is perhaps the oldest postmaster in Noble
County, having served in that capacity for thirty-one years.
He is a Repubican, and with his wife belongs to the Methodist
Protestant church. He has been married twice, first to
Mary J. Long, of Wyandot County, Ohio; and second, to
Agnes Parrish, of Olive Township. Mr. Caldwell
is the father of six children, all living except one daughter.
JOHN J. DELANCY,
a prominent farmer, was born in Monroe County, Ohio, May 19,
1831. He was one of twelve children, eight of whom are
still living. His father came from Pennsylvania and his
mother from Maryland. Mr. Delancy has followed
farming. He is a Republican in politics. He was
married in 1852 to Miss Cordelia Wilson, of this county;
children: S. Ellsworth, Ulysses S. (deceased),
Frank L., John H., Urilla T. and Sarah F.
SAMUEL DANFORD, SR.,
was born in New Jersey in 1774. His wife was a native of
Virginia. They were married in Belmont County, Ohio, in
1800, and reared sixteen children. Samuel Danford, Jr.,
of Sharon Township, the twelfth of these children, was born June
28, 1818, in that portion of Monroe County now forming a part of
Noble. He was married in 1840 to Jane Adair, who
died in June, 1846; again in December, 1846, to Isabella
Humphrey, who died in January, 1864. Mr. Danford
is the father of eleven children, of whom seven are living.
He signed the temperance pledge at the age of eighteen, and
never brook it. He was formerly a Whig, but has been a
Republican since the formation of the party. He is a
member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and has held several
church and township offices.
JAMES DANFORD was
born in Marion Township, Noble County, in 1833. His
father, a native of Virginia, and his mother, who was born in
Pennsylvania, were early settlers in that township, and reared
six sons and five daughters. Mr. Danford married
Margaret A. Kapple, of Morgan County, and is the father of
four sons and two daughters. He is a Republican, and a
Past Master in the Masonic fraternity.
RALPH ESSEX was
born in Muskingum County in 1808, and came to Noble County in
1820. His wife, a native of Scotland, was born in 1820.
They were married in 1841, and reared four sons and four
daughters. Ralph Esses, Jr., the seventh child, was
born Sept. 30, 1856, on the farm where he now resides. He
received a common school education, and has followed farming.
In 1881 he married Phema M. Phelps, of Morgan County.
They have one child - Jennie G. Mr. Essex is
a Republican. Both he and his wife belong to the Methodist
Episcopal church. Three of his brothers were in the late
war; two were shot, one of them fatally.
FRANK M. GILL was born in Sharon in
1852, and educated at the Academy in his native place, and has
followed teaching. Mr. Gill was married in 1878 to
Sarah Davidson, of Hiramsburg, and has two children.
He is a Democrat. Mr. Gill served as school
examiner for nine consecutive years.
CONRAD HARMON, of
German descent, was born Jan. 27, 1843. His grandfather
Harmon came from 'Germany about 1771, and served in the
Revolutionary War, receiving a wound at the battle of
Germantown. He died in Morgan County. Conrad's
father was born in Pennsylvania, and is still living.
Conrad Harmon entered the service of the United States in
1862, in Company K, Twenty-fifth Ohio voluntary Infantry, and
was discharged Aug. 25, 1863, having participated in the battles
of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville and Gettysburg.
Re-enlisting in Company G, Seventy-eighth Ohio Volunteer
Infantry Infantry, he served until July 25, 1865. In 1869
he married Electa W. Robinson, who died in 1871. In
1873 he married Mary E. Thompson; children: Charles
D., John "F., Hannah E., Owen G. and Omer H. (twins).
Mr. Harmon is a farmer by occupation and a Republican in
RUFUS P. JAMES
was born in Muskingum County in 1820, and is of Welsh and Irish
descent. His father was a soldier in the War of 1812.
Mr. James has been twice married, and is the father of
ten children, five by each wife, of whom six are still living,
Dr. Frank James being the only child unmarried.
Mr. James belongs to the Baptist church, and is a Republican
THE KEYSERS are
of English and German parentage. The father and mother of
Andrew Keyser were born in Pennsylvania and were early
settlers in Belmont County. They have five sons, all now
living except Oliver, who was a representative to the
legislature from Noble County and a draft commissioner during
the Rebellion. He died in 1882. Another brother,
John, was in the legislature at the same time with Oliver.
Andrew Keyser, of Sharon Township, was born in Belmont
County in 1815. In 1837 he married Miranda Luellen,
in Belmont County, by whom he had eight children, five whom are
living - Jesse, Isaac, Oliver, John and Jacob.
Mr. Keyser is a Democrat and a Methodist.
Oliver Keyser, son of Andrew Keyser, was
born in Sharon Township in 1847 and has followed farming.
In 1875 he was married to Lida Bell; children: Effie
A., Nora P. (deceased), Nellie B. and Herbert H.
Mr. Keyser belongs to the Methodist Protestant church and
his wife to the Presbyterian.
Isaac Keyser was born in Belmont County, Ohio,
in 1817. He settled in Noble County in 1864, and is now
engaged in farming. He was married in 1850 to Miss
Monica Porterfield, of Belmont County. Their children
are five sons and one daughter. Four of them are still
living One of the sons is six feet and eight inches in
height. Mr. Keyser and wife are Presbyterians.
He is a Democrat in politics.
Isaac Keyser, Jr., was born in Belmont County in
1844 and came to Noble County with his parents. He was
married in 1861 to Elizabeth Ijams. Their children
are Anna Albertine and Andrew J. Mr. and Mrs.
Keyser are members of the Christian church. In
politics he is a Democrat. He served as land appraiser in
SAMUEL LONG was a
prominent early settler, a man of intelligence and an exemplary
citizen. He was born in Pennsylvania in 1786, and was of
Scotch descent. He came to Ohio with his parents, who
settled in Belmont County about 1800. In 1810 he married
Mary Wiley and soon afterward settled near the site of
the town of Caldwell, where he remained a short time, then
removed to the farm in Sharon township on which he died in 1868.
His first wife died in 1824. She bore six children (three
sons and three daughters). In 1825 Mr. Long married
Mary Olephant, of Morgan County; she also had six
children (five sons and one daughter). She died in 1852,
and in 1853 Mr. Long married Hannah Read, of
Muskingum County, who survived him a short time.
second child of Samuel and Mary (Olephant) Long, was born
in this township Oct 28, 1827, and is a prominent and successful
farmer. He has been identified with every public interest
calculated to promote the welfare of Noble County, and is a
friend and encourager of education and religion. He has
served in several township offices, and has held the office of
county commissioner two terms. Mr. Long is a
Republican and a member of the Methodist Protestant Church.
He has been married three times - first, to Mary Ross, a
native of Pennsylvania, who died in 1870; second, to Lucretia
Phipps, of this county, who died in 1876; and in 1878, to
his present wife, nee Mary J. Bell, of Noble
County. Mr. Long is the father of nine sons and
three daughters, all living except two daughters (Mary J. and
Sarah K.) and an infant son. On the farm of Mr.
Long is a frame barn, built in 1824 by George Morrison,
which is believed to be the oldest in Noble County.
ROBERT LOWE is an
old resident. He was born in Virginia in August, 1803;
came to Worthington County, Ohio, and thence, in 1814 to what is
Noble. During life he has been a farmer. He was married in
1824 to Rebecca Boyd, and is the father of eight sons and
four daughters; eight children are still living. Mr.
Lowe is a Democrat and a Methodist.
JOHN LOWE was
born in Noble County in 1836, and is a farmer. He was
married in 1857 to Margaret J. Hannan; children: Orris
(died at the age of twenty-six), Mary E., and Willard.
Mr. Lowe is a Democrat.
JAMES LOWE, son
of Robert, was born Sept. 18, 1829, on the farm where he
now lives. He married Catherine Amelia O'Conovan,
from London, England, and is the father of four sons and four
daughters. Three of the children are dead - Philip C.,
Rosa J. and Mary R. (Parrish). Mr. and Mrs.
Lowe are members of the Methodist Protestant church, in
which he has held several offices. He is a Democrat.
ALONZO LOWE, son of Robert Lowe,
was born Dec. 3, 1849. He married in 1885, Anna S.,
daughter of William McGee, of Noble Township, and has one
child, Lulu Belle. Mr. Lowe is a Democrat and a
JOSEPH E. MARQUIS,
merchant at Sharon, is the son of John E. Marquis, a
prominent citizen, whose parents were among the early settlers,
and Mary Perrin his wife. He was born July 6, 1854,
and has followed mercantile pursuits. For twelve
years he has served as postmaster at Sharon. Mr.
Marquis is a Democrat, and a member of the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows. He was married in 1875 to Venora E.
Gill, of Sharon, and they have five children: Carrie May,
Frank M., Herman H. and Bernard B. (twins), and
Lillie M. Mr. Marquis is a Methodist; his wife a
A. H. MCFERREN, a
prominent farmer, was born in Noble County May 10, 1849.
He was educated at Sharon Academy, and followed teaching several
years. He is a Democrat, and has served as clerk and
assessor of the township. In 1872 Mr. McFerren
married Lydia E. McKee, whose grandparents were among the
earliest settlers of Sharon Township. He is a member of
the Masonic Lodge at Sharon.
THE MCKEE FAMILY
is represented in Sharon Township by William McKee, who
was born on Duck Creek, in Noble Township, in 1825 (See sketch
of the McKee family in Noble Township.) He is a
Democrat in politics, and a successful farmer. Mr.
McKee was married in 1851, to Maria Gird, and is the
father of seven children, five of whom are living.
WILLIAM M. MORRISON
is of Scotch and Irish descent. His father, a native of
Maryland, came to Belmont County in 1817, and thence to this
township. The elder Morrison was the father of ten
children. William M., the ninth child, was born in
1826, on the farm where he now lives. He has followed
farming. In 1850 he married Martha Gatson, of Knox
County. They have but two children living. Robert
A. died in 1852, in his second year; Joseph F., in
1863, aged seven years; Asa V., in 1875, aged fifteen
years; Charles M., in 1883, aged thirty years. Two others
died in infancy, Mr. Morrison and wife belong to the
Presbyterian church, in which he is a deacon. In politics
he is a Democrat.
was born in Elk Township, Noble County, in 1864. His
father was a native of this county, and his mother was born in
Ireland. Mr. N. is a farmer, and a Democrat in
politics. He was married in 1883 to Annie Stout of
Sharon Township. They have one child, Ernest I.
PARRISH, a prominent early settler, was born in Maryland
in 1781, and came to this township from Belmont County in 1819,
arriving on the 19th of August. Edward Parrish was
the father of Hon. Isaac Parrish, a lawyer and member of
Congress, whose biography appears elsewhere; and of William
Parrish, who served as sheriff of Morgan County. The
family consisted of six sons and five daughters.
Stephen Parrish, a prominent citizen, is a member of the
same family, and was born Jan. 22, 1816. He has followed
blacksmithing farming and stock-dealing. Mr. Parrish
was married to Ann Boyd in 1839, and is the father of six
sons and three daughters. Robert, the oldest,
volunteered in the Fourth Iowa Regiment of infantry, and was
honorably discharged after two years of service. He died
at Grand Junction, Ill., while on his way home. Mr.
Parrish is a prominent Democrat.
THOMAS W. PARRISH
was born in McConnelsville, Ohio, in 1843. His father,
William Parrish, son of Edward Parrish, who settled
in Sharon Township in 1819, was then serving as sheriff of
Morgan County, which office he held from 1841 to 1845.
T. W. Parrish has followed farming and the mercantile
business. He enlisted Feb. 12, 1862, in Company D,
Sixty-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and by re-enlistment served
until the close of the war, and was discharged at Louisville,
Ky., July 8, 1865. He was in the engagements at New
Madrid, Island No. 10, Iuka, Corinth, siege of Vicksburg,
Resaca, Lookout Mountain, Atlanta, and other battles of
Sherman's march to the sea. He is a Republican, a member
of the Methodist Episcopal church, and of the Grand Army of the
Republic and Odd Fellows. He was married in 1877 to
Susannah B. Wiley, of Sharon; children: Helen M.
and Henry S.
son of Stephen and Anna Parrish, was born i the
village of Sharon in 1841. He was engaged in farming until
1872 when he met with a severe accident by which he was rendered
lame. He has since been engaged in making brooms and
brushes. He was married in 1862 to Miss Ellen Orr
of Zanesville; children: Robert W., Ira L., and
Stephen R. Mr. and Mrs. Parrish are Presbyterians.
He is a Democrat and a member of the Masonic order. He has
served in several township offices.
The father and mother of Samuel Patterson were
Pennsylvanians, and came to Morgan County, Ohio, where they were
married. His mother's maiden name was Hannah L. Davis.
Mr. Patterson was the fourth of ten children, five of
whom are living. He was born in 1848 in Sharon Township
and is a farmer and carpenter. In 1872 he married Sarah
Fidora Swank, of Olive Green; children: Tempest W.,
Charlie, and Maple F. Mr. Patterson is a
Democrat; his wife is a Baptist.
ADAM F. PICKENPAUGH
was born in 1848. His father, a native of Pennsylvania,
came from Virginia to Ohio and about 1826 married Jane
Phillips, of Guernsey County, by whom he had nine children.
The grandfather of Adam settled in Noble County in 1825.
He was killed by the falling of a limb from a tree while at work
in his field. Adam F. Pickenpaugh was married in
1875 to Miss M. J. Tidrick who died in 1884. He is
a Republican, an Odd Fellow, and a Baptist. Four of his
brothers were in the war of the Rebellion, and two of the,
George C. and Jonathan R., died of typhoid fever
while in the service.
SAMUEL F. ROCK, a
prominent farmer, was born in Dresden, Muskingum County, in
1826, and is of German and Scotch ancestry. By occupation
he is a farmer saddler and harness maker. In 1847 he
married Mary Elmira Archibald, a native of this
county. She died in 1855, and in 1865 he married Sarah
E. Emmons, a native of Belmont County. Three children
were born of the first marriage - Hannah F. (deceased),
Susan E., and Mary L. Mr. and Mrs. Rock
are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He has
served as steward, class leader and superintendent of the
Sabbath school. He was an Abolitionist and is a
Republican. Mr. Rock enlisted in 1864 in Capt.
Floyd's company, One Hundred and Seventy-sixth Ohio
Volunteer Infantry, served until the close of the war and was
honorably discharged. He was in the battle of Nashville
and other noted engagements.
REV. RANDALL ROSS
was born in Westmoreland County, Pa., in 1818, and came to
Sharon in 1848 to take charge of the Sharon and Cumberland
Associate Reformed churches (afterward United Presbyterian).
About 1851 he founded Sharon College, which he taught until the
outbreak of the war. For some time he edited the
Consolidated Republican, a county newspaper. In 1861
he went into the army as a private in the Sixty-second Ohio
Volunteer Infantry. After serving about eighteen months he
was appointed chaplain of the Fifteenth Regiment with which he
served until the close of the war. He went to New Concord,
Guernsey County, and thence to Missouri, where he died in 1877.
ROBERT ROWLAND is
from an early Morgan County family. His father was born in
Pennsylvania in 1805, and his mother in West Virginia in 1813.
They came to Morgan County about 1816. The family
consisted of six sons and six daughters. Robert, the
fifth child, was born in Sharon Township in 1843, and is a frmer.
He amrried in 1873 Susannah Shuster of Morgan County;
children: Losia C., Charles C., and Clara B. Mr.
Rowland belongs to the Democratic party.
HUGH SHIELDS was
born in Berkeley County, Va., Feb. 2, 1809. His parents
were natives of the same State. His father, a
soldier of 1812, came to Ohio soon after 1830. In 1836
Hugh Shields entered at government price ($1.25 per acre),
eighty acres of land where he now lives. The country was
then wild and primitive. Mr. Shields has followed
farming all his life. He was married in Belmont County in
1833, to Mary Lowman, and is the father of seven sons and
two daughters. Four sons and one daughter are still
GEORGE SHIELDS was born in Sharon
Township in 1856. In 1879 he married Miss Addie Dyer.
They have two children living - Mary L. and Oakey
Owens. Both he and his wife belong to the Methodist
MATTHEW STEEN, of
Sharon, is of Irish descent. His grandfather lived, it is
supposed, to the age of one hundred and four years. The
father of Matthew was born in Pennsylvania in 1800 and
died in Sharon in 1885. The family came to Noble County in
JAMES H. STEWART
was born in Noble County in 1831. In 1858 he married
Mary J. Coulter, and they have three children. The
Stewart family were pioneers in Belmont County, living there
in a fort while hostile Indians still roamed through the
country, frequently having Louis Wetzel as their guest.
The family came to what is now Noble County in 1824. The
father of James H. was a soldier of 1812.
THE STOUT FAMILY
came from New Jersey to Belmont County and thence, in 1820, to
the vicinity of Olive Green. One of the family married
Christina Matilda Ann Harmon and reared five sons and three
daughters. Enoch, one of the sons, died at
Vicksburg during the siege. George Edward Stout was
born in 1860 and lives on the homestead farm. In 1880 he
married Cordelia Baker, of Brookfield Township; children:
Emil, Florence and Lydia Francis. Mr. Stout
is an enterprising farmer, a Republican and a member of the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
LEVI MILLARD STOUT
was born near Olive Green in 1846. His grandfather was an
early settler, a native of New Jersey, who came to this township
in 1820 from Belmont County. He was married in 1869 to
Clarissa D. Gooden, of Olive Township. They have had
six children: Happy N., Charity R. (deceased), Thirsa
I., Albert M., Alta L. and Florence E.
PHILIP SWANK was
born in 1828 in the house which he now occupies. His
father, who was a soldier of 1812, was born in Belmont County;
his mother, nee Harriet Paul, in Pennsylvania.
They had twelve children, of whom Philip was the fourth.
He married Hannah Dye in 1847. They have had seven
children, of whom five are living. Mr. Swank is a
Democrat. He and wife belong to the Methodist Protestant
J. W. SWANK, a
well-known merchant, is a representative of one of the early
families. His grandfathers were from Pennsylvania and his
maternal grandfather served in the War of 1812. The maiden
name of his mother was Barbara Pickenpaugh. She was
married in 1823. J. W. Swank, the third of ten
children, was born in Sharon Township in 1829 and has followed
farming and the mercantile business. He is a Democrat in
politics. In 1850 he married Jane Brownrigg, of
this township. They have had five children. Their
daughter Lillian married James Arnold and died at
the age of nineteen. Mrs. Swank is a Baptist.
The breading of deer is a feature of Mr. Swank's
business. He first obtained black-tailed deer from Nebraska; but
on trial, found that the climate did not agree with them.
Afterward, obtaining cotton-tailed deer, he was very successful
in raising them. They run with the cows and are easliy
domesticated. At present he has thirteen on hand.
JOHN SWANK was
born in Morgan County, in 1858. His father was native of
Belmont County. John W. was married in 1882, to
Mary Archibald, of this township; children: Clara E.,
Laura Adelle and Flora Mabel. Mr. Swank
is a Democrat.
was born in Belmont County, in 1825. His father and
grandfather were Pennsylvanians, and the latter served in the
Revolutionary War. His father was born in 1801, and came
to Belmont County about 1805. In 1824 he married Mary
Ann Montgomery, in Belmont County, and in 1829 settled on
land which he had entered, in the present township of Sharon.
Solomon Walters is by occupation a farmer and miller.
He is a Democrat politically. Mr. Walters married
Mary Kuntz of this township, in 1850. She died in
1879, having borne seven children, of whom two are deceased.
PETER WALTERS was
born Jun 8, 1847, on the farm where he now lives. His
father, a native of Belmont county, came to this vicinity and
married Zillah, daughter of 'Samuel Sailor, the
pioneer of the township, by whom he had seven children, fife of
whom are living. Peter Walters married Harriet
Kuntz, of this county, in 1869. there are members of
the 'Baptist church. Mr. Walters is a
Republican in politics.
JAMES B. WIGGINTON,
hotel keeper at Sharon, was born in Frederick County, Va., May
25, 1831. His parents were natives of Virginia, and his
grandfather served in the Revolutionary War. Mr.
Wigginton volunteered in the Union army, in 1861, in the
Fourth Kentucky Infantry, and served through the war,
participating in the battle of Chickamauga, the siege of
Vicksburg, and other engagements of less prominence. July
30, 1864, he was captured while crossing the Chattahoochee
River, on the Sherman Raid, and taken to Andersonville
prison, where he suffered indescribable misery and cruelty.
At Lafayette, Ga., he was wounded in the right hand,
and also in the neck. He was exchanged in June, 1865, and
honorably discharged on the 14th of that month. In 1866 he
came to Noble County. In 1870 he married Elizabeth H.
Bickett, of this county. They have four children
living, and one deceased. Those living are Willie
Wilbert, Winfield Scott, Mary Briscoe and Charles Culver.
Mr. Wigginton is a Republican.
one of the pioneers of Noble County, was a native of
Pennsylvania, and served in the War of the Revolution.
About the close of the war he was obliged to flee with his
family to escape massacre by the Indians. In the year 1808
he came to what is now Noble County. He was a weaver by
trade and settled on a tract of land now owned by Mr. Shafer,
southwest of Caldwell. After a residence of four years he
moved to Sharon Township, settling on a farm now owned by
John E. Marquis, one-half acre of which he gave for burial
purposes. His death occurred in 1816, and his was the
first grave in the little cemetery. His son, Thomas
Wiley, was born in 1795; after the death of his father he
removed to a small farm three miles southwest of Sharon.
He married Elizabeth Fogle. They had nine children, seven
of whom grew to maturity. The mother died in 1858, aged
sixty-one, the father in 1871 in the seventy-sixth year of his
age; He was a farmer and a Democrat in politics.
William Wiley, grandson of the pioneer, was born in Sharon.
He acquired the trade of a carpenter, which he followed for many
years. He married Miss Nancy Bigley. He has had
seven children, two of whom are dead. Politically he is a
JACOB W. WILEY, a
descendant one of the early settlers, was born in this county in
1825. His grandfather was among the first settlers of the
Duck Creek Valley, coming to Ohio from Pennsylvania. He
donated the land for the old graveyard at Sharon, and his
remains were the first buried there. Jacob was the
third of a family of ten children. He is one of the
representative farmers of the township, owning 246 acres of
excellent land. He was married in 1846 to Francena
Gallatin of Morgan County. They have had two sons and
four daughters, of whom the following are living: Jeremiah
T., Jerusha Q., John C. and Nancy J. The family
belong to the Methodist Protestant church. Mr. Wiley
is a Democrat.
is a grandson of Frederick Yerian an early settler, and
was born in Jackson Township, Noble County, in 1837. His
father was a native of Pennsylvania and in early times used to
make guns from the "raw material," drilling the barrels and
making the lock and stock himself. Frederick
learned this trade. In 1847 he came to Sharon, and for the
last fourteen years has carried on the drug business here.
He enlisted Sept. 21, 1864, in the Twenty-second Ohio Light
Artillery and served until July 13, 1865. In 1869 he
married Nancy E., daughter of Samuel Wiley, of
Sharon Township; children - Lizzie E. J., William E., Mary
W., Kate, Samuel F., Charles E., Cora L. and Susannah J.
Kate married Samuel Wallace ad died in 1884.
The others are living. Mr. Yerian is a Democrat.
FREDERICK YERIAN, SR.,
was an early German settler. He was for some years engaged
in operating a grist-mill and saw-mill. He injured his
foot by stepping on a nail, the leg was amputated and he died
from teh effects of the operation. His son John was
a gunsmith and learned his trade in Zanesville.
Sharon, an old and once
flourishing village, was laid out Mar. 22, 1831, under the
proprietorship of Robert Rutherford and Edward Parrish.
The original plat contained fourteen lots.
The first building erected within the present limits of
the township of Sharon was a log school-house, built on the
corner where the Masonic Hall now stands, prior to 1823.
Later a brick school-house was erected on the same ground.
A church was also erected by the Presbyterians about 1823.
Rev. Robert Rutherford, one of the proprietors
of the town, was the first postmaster. An office was
established through his efforts in 1830. It was on the
mail route between Barnesville and McConnelsville, and was
supplied with a weekly mail.
The first settler in the village was a man named
Smith, a carpenter, who was only a brief resident. He
built the house in which John Boggs now lives.
Isaac Parrish built one of the first houses. Rev.
Robert Rutherford, pastor of the Presbyterian church, was an
early settler, locating here before the town was laid out, as
did also Edward Parrish.
Other early merchants were Isaac Parrish,
who started the first store of importance; Wiley & Parrish
(Thomas Wiley and John Parrish), Benjamin
Manifold, William Enley, and John Moore. The
latter came from Chandlesrville, and kept store on the corner
where Frederick Yerian's drug store now is.
Eldridge Wootton, Reuben Israel, and Elijah Stevens
were among former merchants. The latter once had two
stores here at the same time. About 1840 Sharon was a busy
place and trade was flourishing. Pork packing was carried
on quite extensively by Reuben Israel and John and
Isaac Parrish. Israel also dealt largely in
tobacco. He was started in trade here by Dr. Carlisle,
of Belmont County, and was a very successful merchant.
Isaac Parrish erected a steam flouring mill in
1846, which was probably the earliest steam mill in the county.
Eldridge Wootton erected a steam saw-mill and grist ill soon
after. Isaac Parrish did a large business for those
days. He projected a railroad, and had several miles of it
Among the residents of the village in 1836 were
James Hopper, who was a blacksmith, and settled here in
1832; Isaac Paxton, cabinet-maker; Isaac McMunn,
shoemaker; Samuel Marquis, who conducted a tannery;
Vernon Stevens, who also had a tannery; Eldridge Wootton
and Benjamin Manifold, merchants; Warren Timberlake,
who had a pottery; and Nelson Timberlake, wagon-maker.
The first tavern was kept by Isaac Paxton.
Sharon now has two general stores, both of which do a
large business. They are kept of Steen & Parrish
and Joseph E. Marquis; Frederick Yerian is the
druggist; James Wigginton, hotel-keeper; Solomon
Walters, proprietor of Sharon mill; Reuben McGlashan
and James Kirk, saddlers; John Yerian, T. M. Yerian,
Robert Nichols and John M. Boggs, blacksmiths;
James Gill, wagon-maker; William Shepard and
Ezekiel Pedicord, cabinet-makers.
The town has two churches and two lodges. In 1880
its population was 204.
The town of Sharon has long been prominent in an
educational way, and is noted for its good schools, An
institution known as Sharon College was started by Rev.
Randall Ross in 1852, and for many years was a flourishing
school, in which the languages and higher branches of education
were taught. Here many received the foundation for a good
education. Many of the pupils became successful teachers
in the schools of the surrounding country. The school was
largely attended and had a good reputation. Rev.
Randall Ross was succeeded after several years by
Professor Smith, and he by McMillan and Ryan.
The latter was the last teacher. The school has not
been in session since 1875. The building is now the
school-house of the district school. It was erected by
subscription solely for the use of the college.
Presbyterian - The first
church edifice in Sharon was erected about 1823, by the
Presbyterians and United Presbyterians. The old church
building is still standing, and is now a residence owned by
Mrs. Harriet McDonald. The two congregations continued
to worship in this building until about 1835, when the union of
the churches was dissolved. In 1838 three churches were
built in the town - Presbyterian, United Presbyterian and
Methodist Episcopal. The United Presbyterians maintained
their organization until about 1879. Their first pastor
was Rev. Stephen L. Halt, who was succeeded by Rev.
Randall Ross and others. When the congregation
disbanded most of the members joined the Presbyterian church.
The present church edifice was erected in 1880. Among the
early ministers were Rev. John Arthur, Rev. Robert
Rutherford, Rev. Charles Charlot and others. John
Marquis and his family and Alexander Greenlee
were leading early members.
Methodist Episcopal - The
first church edifice was erected by this denomination at Sharon
in 1838. The present church was erected in 1870, at a cost
of $1,400. The present membership is seventy-five.
The present officers are James Eicher, leader; R. K.
Nichols, David Foreman and John Grimes, stewards;
S. F. Rock, John E. Marquis and F. F. Foote,
trustees. The society was organized many years before any
church was erected. Among the pioneer members were John
Pidcock. Andrew and Levi Purkey, Benjamin Barnhouse,
Samuel Allen, B. Hatton (the grandfather of Frank Hatton,
late postmaster-general), James Gird, John Scroggins, William
Kirkpatrick, Isaac McMunn and Thomas Garlington.
Levi Purkey was the first class leader.
Manchester Baptist Church -
This church was organized as early as 1830, and was then in
Manchester Township, Morgan County. Rev. Mr. Gabriel,
was the first settled minister. Among the early members
were Jacob Hawk, James Garvin, and Joab Bailey and
George Walters, and their wives. Garvin and
Walters were deacons for many years. The first
meeting-house was a log building; the second a frame, and the
present a frame. The second church was destroyed by fire.
The church is still flourishing, though with a less membership
now than formerly.
Olive Presbyterian Church -
The early history of this church is involved in obscurity.
It is probable, however, that it had an existence previous to
1820. Nothing is now known of the original members or
first officers. In 1831 John Marquis, John Lyons
and Peter Eckley, were elected elders. In 1837 the
names of Benjamin Manifold and Peter Eckley are
given. The first church edifice was completed in 1836.
It was a frame structure 30x55 feet. The present building
was completed in 1882. It stands on the site of the old
church, and its cost was $1,600. It appears that the
society had no regular pastor until 1837. Among the
supplies the names of Revs. William Wallace and Robert
Rutherford are frequently found. In March, 1837,
Rev. John Arthur was elected pastor, and served until 1838.
His successors were Revs. N. P. Charlotte, William Reid, J.
P. Caldwell, Mathew R. Miller, Watson Russell, Samuel Mahaffey,
L. C. Rutter, William M. Galbraith and A. Baldridge.
The present membership was eighty, with a Sabbath school
attendance of one hundred. In the early days the church
was cared for by the Board of Home Missions, but for many years
it has been self-supporting. The present pastorate, that
of Rev. Thomas J. Dague, began October 1, 1883.
During this time twenty-one members have been added, and teh
society is in a very prosperous condition.
Masonic - Sharon Lodge,
Nov. 136, F. and A. M., was instituted March 26, 1846, with the
following charter members and first officers: Rev.
Patrick K. McCue, W. M.; Dr. Jesse M. Stone, S. W.;
Samuel Fowler, J. W.; B. M. Leland, Oliver Keyser,
Robert Thompson, Conway Garlington and Jesse Stewart.
Of these, B. M. Leland is the only survivor, so far
as is known. The past masters have been Rev. Patrick K.
McCue, Dr. Jesse M. Stone, Robert Thompson, Stephen Burlingame,
Josiah Burlingame, Dennis S. Gibbs, David C. Aiken, B. M.
Leland, J. P. Gill, Stephen Parrish, J. Danford, William Lowe,
D. H. Schofield, R. Burlingame and Ross Elder.
The lodge once had over one hundred members, but many have
withdrawn, joining newer lodges. The present membership is
seventy-four. The lodge is in good financial condition,
and owns a good two-story building containing the hall, which
was built in 1857, at a cost of $1,400. The present
officers are Ross Elder, W. M.; George E. Willey,
S. W.; Thomas Love, J. W.; Richard Burlingame, S.
D.; Joseph W. Jones, J. D.; A. H. McFerren,
secretary; Thomas Boyd, treasurer; Alfred Smoot,
Odd Fellows - Gem Lodge,
No. 552, I. O. O. F., Sharon, Ohio, was instituted July 23,
1873, with the following charter members: - Frederick Yerian,
John Aiken, George A. Bell, A. F. Pickenpaugh, E. W. Daniel,
George Walters, James H. Stewart, James Thompson, John Preston,
Joseph W. Jones and John E. Marquis. The lodge
now has forty members and is in a flourishing condition.
It owns one of the finest halls in Noble County - large and well
furnished. The officers in October, 1886, were T. W.
Parrish, N. G.; Wm. Yerian, B. G.; Thomas Boyd,
treasurer; James Kane, secretary.
THE BROWNRIGG FAMILY
John Brownrigg Sr., was one of
the prominent early setters of what is now Sharon Township.
He was born in England, where he married. Five children
were there born to them: Elizabeth, William, Sarah,
Mary and John. In 1818 he immigrated to this
country with four of his children, Elizabeth, the eldest
remaining in her native place, the mother having died. The
family landed in Baltimore, Md., thence they came to Pittsburgh,
and from there to Steubenville, Ohio, in a flat boat. Here
the family spent the winter, the boat being their home.
The following spring they voyaged to Marietta and from thence to
the place where the family now reside. Here the elder
Brownrigg entered 640 acres of land. He was a thorough
and energetic farmer, and soon after his arrival built a log
house, 36x40, and two stories in height. In 1820, the year
following his settlement, he built a barn which was the
admiration of the pioneer farmers for miles around. This
structure, the walls of which are still standing, was one
hundred feet in length; the floors were puncheon and are still
in good repair. He died in1856, aged eighty-four years.
He was an Episcopalian in religious belief, and for many years
one of the leading citizens of the township. Of his
children, John, Jr., is the only one living. He was
born in England, May 15, 1807, and is one of the few who have
witnessed the transition of a wilderness to a fertile and
productive country. He remained with his father
until his decease, at which time he received 240 acres of the
paternal estate. He has been a thrifty and prosperous
farmer, and at one time owned 1,100 acres of valuable land.
He says that when his father settled in Sharon, that Silas
Sailor was their nearest neighbor, and that they occupied
his stable until they could erect a cabin. He married in
1829 Miss Matilda, daughter of Robert and Jane
Caldwell. Four children were the result of this union:
Jane (Swank), Elizabeth (Ellison), who died in
1887, William and Sarah (Kildrow). William,
the only son, was born in Sharon Township and resides on the
homestead farm. He married Miss Nancy G., daughter
of Samuel and Jane Norris. They have six children:
Emma (Jones), Lewis M., Mary (Bozman), John W., May and
Lillie. The fertile fields and substantial
improvements attest Mr. Brownrigg's skill and success as
a farmer. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and a
* The second burial there was an infant child of William Scroggan,
and the third, the wife of Matthew Grimes.
NOTE: I highlight names that I am
researching, thus Elmy McFerren is highlighted. ~ Sharon W.