OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

 

Muskingum County,
Ohio

BIOGRAPHIES

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

ALVAH P. CLARK, secretary, treasurer and general manager of one of the rapidly developing and profitable pottery enterprises of Zanesville, business being conducted under the name of the Ohio Pottery Company, was born in Washington county, this state, in 1843.  His paternal grandfather, Seneca Clark, removed from the Empire state to Ohio at an early day, settling near Marietta.  Washington county, when that district contained but a sparse population, the work of progress and improvement being scarcely begun.  He afterward removed to the vicinity of Beverly, Ohio, where he followed farming for a time, and then turned his attention to distilling, which he conducted after the crude manner in which the business was carried on at that early day.  He married Catherine Stull and they had three children, but only one is living.  Jane, deceased, was the wife of Theodore Devol, who resides near Marietta, Ohio.  The son, Augustus S., was born in the Empire state and was about nine or ten years of age at the time of his parents removed to Ohio.  He yet owns the land upon which his father's distillery was once located.  He remained upon the old home farm throughout the days of his boyhood and youth and early manhood, and in fact, until after the birth of his son, Alvah P., and followed both general agricultural pursuits and distilling.  He now resides about three miles from his farm, in the town of Beverly, and has reached the very advanced age of eighty-five years.  He married Sarah D. Ross, who is deceased.  They had two children, Alvah and Eva, the latter the wife of Charles W. Reynolds, of Zanesville, by whom she has one child, Louise, the wife of Professor C. S. Joseph.  In the summer of 1904 Mr. Clark of this review, had a picture taken, representing the four generations of the family, his father, himself, his son and grandson.
     Alvah P. Clark obtained a public-school education at Beverly, Ohio, and when he had reached man's estate, was engaged in the drug business of that place, his father owning the store.  He became familiar with the drug business at an early age and for some time was connected with the store, but afterward turned his attention  to the manufacture of flour at Beverly, where he continued for three years.  In 1896 he was one of the organizers of the Zanesville Stone Ware Company and became its vice president.  He then went upon the road selling the product of the house to the trade.  The business was incorporated and he was connected with it until 1899, when he sold his interest and organized the Ohio Pottery Company, now located in the Brighton district.  He then erected the plant of the company.  The first officers were:  C. W. Reynolds, president; Frank H. Herdman, vice president; and A. P. Clark, secretary, treasurer and general manager.  These gentlemen still continue in their respective offices and from the beginning, the business has been a prosperous one.  They began with one building one hundred by eighty feet, and in the summer of 1904, so great had been the growth of their trade, another building fifty by one hundred and seven feet was erected.  Stoneware specialties are manufactured and employment is furnished to forty men.  They had at first but two kilns, but now five-kilns, twenty feet in diameter, four of these kilns being fourteen feet high.  They also have one kiln sixteen and a half feet in diameter and twelve feet high.  Their ware is manufactured after the most modern methods and finds ready sale on the market.  Mr. Clark was the first to introduce in this section of the state the making of stone ware by steam, thus doing away with the slow hand process.  He has always kept in touch with the most modern ideas concerning his business and is quick to adopt any new methods whose practical utility he recognizes.
     In 1870 Mr. Clark was united in marriage to Miss Louise Johnson, who was born in Laporte, Indiana, and they have one child, Frederick A., who was born in Beverly, Ohio, and married Flora Miller, by whom he has one son, Earl K.,  a native of Cambridge, Indiana.
     Mr. Clark is a Mason, being identified with the fraternity in Zanesville, and politically he is a republican, but he never seeks or desires public office, preferring to concentrate his energies upon his business affairs.  He is a representative of one of the pioneer families of this section of Ohio and in citizenship he is public-spirited in an eminent degree, being deeply interested in the welfare of his country and the prosperity of his community.  He is to-day a typical representative of the enterprising spirit which is leading to the rapid development of Zanesville and making it a most important manufacturing and commercial center.
Source:  Past and Present of the City of Zanesville, and Muskingum Co., Ohio - Published Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. - 1905 - Page 435

SAMUEL CLARK, deceased, was one of the early contractors of Zanesville, whose name is inseparably connected with the history of this city at a time when it was emerging from villagehood to take on the improvements and changes of city life.  He was born in Virginia, in1805.  His father, John Clark, served throughout the Revolutionary war, valiantly aiding in the struggle for independence, and afterward enjoyed the liberty and advantages of the new republic in his Virginia home.
     Samuel Clark was reared in the Old Dominion and in early life learned the carpenter's trade which he followed for a number of years as a journeyman and afterwards did contract work.  He came to Zanesville when about ten or eleven years of age with his parents and has spent his remaining days in this city.  It was but a small place when the family home was established here, there being a little collection of pioneer houses in the midst of a largely undeveloped district.  After mastering the carpenter's trade he worked upon many of the prominent early buildings of Zanesville.  He was one of the contractors on the First Presbyterian church, built in 1839, and many of the best residences of the early period were erected under his supervision and some of these still stand as monuments of his enterprise, labor and skill in his chosen vocation.
     In 1846 Mr. Clark was married in Zanesville to Miss Jerusha Williams, a native of Warwick, Massachusetts, the wedding ceremony being performed by the Rev. Simeon Brown.  Her parents were Samuel and Polly (Stevens) Williams, the former a farmer of Warwick, Massachusetts.  He died at the very advanced age of ninety-four years, while his wife passed away at the age of forty-seven years.   They were the parents of seven children.  Mrs. Clark being the fourth in order of birth.  Her grandfather was Colonel Samuel Williams, who was a native of Roxbury, Massachusetts, and won his title through service in the Revolutionary war, commanding a regiment which fought for the independence of the nation.  He was with the Colonial Army and throughout the long struggle for liberty was a brave and faithful officer.  He married Triphenia Lyman, a native of Northampton, Massachusetts, and they had a large family but Mrs. Clark's father was the only son.  In 1839 Mrs. Clark came from Massachusetts to Muskingum county, Ohio, and engaged in teaching school in Zanesville for eight years prior to her marriage.  She was born in June, 1815, and although now ninety years of age is yet an energetic woman with faculties unimpaired.  Unto Mr. and Mrs. Clark were born six children, of whom two died in early youth, while four are yet living, namely: Annie T.; Samuel W., a lumber merchant of Zanesville, who married Alice Miles of this city and has two children.  Ira G. and Cuyler L.; Ardelia, the wife of W. J. Massey, who is represented elsewhere in this volume, and Charles F., a practicing oculist of Columbus, Ohio, who married Phoebe Rogers and has one daughter, Margaret.
     Mr. Clark
passed away in 1883, being at that time about seventy-eight years of age, and for more than sixty years he had been a resident of Zanesville.  He was very successful in his business career and accumulated a large property, making investments in real estate in this city when it sold at a low figure.  The growth and population and the improvements which he placed upon his property caused its rise in value and at his death he left a very good estate to his family.  He was prominent and influential in community affairs for many years and served as a member of the city council.  He was also a highway surveyor of Zanesville, and his political support was given to the democratic party.  He was known as all times as a man reliable and trustworthy so that he left behind him as honorable name and an example that is well worthy of emulation.  He enjoyed in large measure the respect and trust of his fellow citizens and well deserves mention among those who largely promoted the material welfare of Zanesville and assisted in its building and improvement.  Mrs. Clark still survives her husband and has been a resident of Zanesville for two-thirds of a century, so that its history is familiar to her, her mind being stored with many interesting events of the early days.
Source:  Past and Present of the City of Zanesville, and Muskingum Co., Ohio - Published Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. - 1905 - Page 312

WILLIAM COBB, manager of the Kapner Brothers & Duga knitting mill in Frazeysburg, has been well trained for his present important position by years of experience in the line of manufacturing knit goods, for when a young lad he entered upon his business career in a similar factory and throughout the greater part of his business career he has directed his labors into channels of a like nature.  HE was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Oct. 20, 1857, his parents being Isaac and Phoeba (Hunter) Cobb, both representatives of old families of that state.  The father was a carpenter by trade.
     William Cobb was educated in the public schools of Beverly, New Jersey, and as a boy was employed in the knitting mills.  He began by "piercing on a mule" and through his perseverance and capability he won promotion from time to time.  Going to Philadelphia he was employed by the Pilling & Madley Stocking Company and at the age of nineteen was made foreman in the mill, which position he acceptably filled until 1883.  In that year he went to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he acted as superintendent of the mill owned by S. H. Hallsted & Company until 1890, when he went to Indiana to install a mill at Kokomo.  When that task was completed he went to Piqua, Ohio, where he was foreman in the underwear mills until 1893, when he returned to the east and was connected with the underwear mills at Perry, New York, until 1897.  In that year he accepted a position as foreman in the hosiery mill at Frederick, Maryland, where he continued for six years.  On the 15th of February, 1903, he came to Frazeysburg to act as superintendent and manager of the hosiery mill just established by Kapner Brothers & Duga.  The mill is thirty-four by seventy feet, two stories in height and furnishes employment to thirty-eight operatives, turning out one hundred and fifty dozen pairs of hose per day.  Mr. Cobb has thorough understanding of the business in principle and detail, because of his practical experience in various departments, and is well qualified to assume the management of this enterprise, which under his capable direction is proving a profitable concern.
     Mr. Cobb was married in Wilmington, Delaware, to Miss Louisa Weigend, of Philadelphia, and eight children have been born to them:  Robert, Martha, Lilly, and Otto and Mary, twins, all born in Kentucky, opposite Cincinnati; Ollie, born in Piqua, Ohio; Laura, a native of Philadelphia; and Ida, born in Perry, New York.
     Mr. Cobb is identified with the Odd Fellows and the Knights of the Golden Eagles.  Politically he is a republican and is now serving as president of the school board in Frazeysburg, the cause of education finding in him a stalwart friend, who exercises his official prerogatives for the betterment of the schools.  His life record shows as his dominant qualities perseverance and the mastery of every task which has fallen to his lot.  It is these which won him ready recognition in manufacturing circles and gained him promotion until the position which he now occupies is a responsible one, bringing good financial remuneration.
Source:  Past and Present of the City of Zanesville, and Muskingum Co., Ohio - Published Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. - 1905 - Page 261

PHINEAS COBURN, one of the first company of emigrants to Ohio, was the eldest son of Major Asa Coburn, a gallant officer of the Massachusetts line, who, with two brothers, entered the army at the opening of the revolutionary war.  He retired from the conflict at its close with the rank of major; his brothers both died on the battle-field.  Major Coburn owned three shares in the Ohio Company, and removed with his family to Marietta August 19, 1788, and was a valuable acquisition to the settlement.  Phineas, his father, and family, joined the Waterford association, and on the commencement of Indian hostilities were domiciled in Fort Frye, where Major Coburn died during the war.  Early in 1795 the Coburns, with a few others, but a block house, and began to clear their farms on the fertile alluvial bottoms which border the Muskingum in Adams township.  Phineas made his permanent home in Morgan County, Ohio.  The gallant General Dumont, of Indiana, an officer in the Union Army, claimed descent through his mother from Major Coburn.
* Source:  The founders of Ohio : brief sketches of the forty-eight pioneers - Publ. Cincinnati by R. Clark & Co. - 1888

CAPTAIN EZEKIEL COOPER, from Danvers, Massachusetts, was a share-holder in the Ohio Company, and came on in Major White's party.  "He was an Ensign in Hutchinson's regiment at the siege of Boston; Lieutenant in Putnam's (5th) regiment, 1777-82; commissioned Captain in Sproat's (2d) regiment, January 7, 1783; removed to Ohio in 1788; living in Warrentown, Ohio, in 1807."  Captain Cooper was in command of the galley sent up the Ohio river to bring to Marietta the failies who arrived at that place August 19, 1788.  He was a member of the Society of the Cincinnati. 
* Source:  The founders of Ohio : brief sketches of the forty-eight pioneers - Publ. Cincinnati by R. Clark & Co. - 1888

EBENEZER COREY came with the first company.  He was a man of much enterprise and industry.  It is recorded the first season that, "a piece of bottom land on the bank of the Ohio, belonging to Mr. Corey, had been harvested, and measured one hundred and four bushels of corn to the acre."  He was the architect of the bridge over Tyber Creek, which was "twenty-five feet high, ninety feet long, and twenty-four feet wide, covered with hewn planks four inches thick."  Colonel May writes, "It is called 'Corey's bridge,' ion honor of the master workman.  There is not so good a bridge, or any thing like it, betwixt it and Baltimore."  Mr. Corey and his wife were in Campus Martius during the war, but afterward went to Waterford. *\
* Source:  The founders of Ohio : brief sketches of the forty-eight pioneers - Publ. Cincinnati by R. Clark & Co. - 1888

SAMUEL SULLIVAN COX

Source:  Past and Present of the City of Zanesville, and Muskingum Co., Ohio - Published Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. - 1905 - Page 238

SAMUEL CUSHING, one of the forty-eight, came from New Bedford, Massachusetts.  He was the brother of Mrs. Benjamin Shaw, and was related to the well known Sumner and Cushing families of Massachusetts.  He was a member of the Waterford Association, and one of the young men who remained during the war to aid in the defense of the settlers.  He afterward married a daughter of Judge Gilbert Devol, and settled on a farm on Round Bottom, where he died October 9, 1823.  "His was the first death in the Mount Moriah Masonic Lodge; and the members, as a token of regard, wore a blue ribbon about the left arm from the time of his death to the next regular communication."
* Source:  The founders of Ohio : brief sketches of the forty-eight pioneers - Publ. Cincinnati by R. Clark & Co. - 1888

 

JERVIS CUTLER was the son of Dr. Cutler, one of the Directors of the Ohio Company.  Dr. Cutler's published journal says, "Monday, December 3, 1787.  This morning a part of the men going to Ohio met here (at his house Ipswich Hamlet), two hours before day.  1 went on with them to Danvers.  The whole joined at Major White's.  Twenty men employed by the Company, and four or five on their own expense, marched at eleven o'clock.  This party is commanded by Major White.  Captain (Jethro) Putnam took the immediate charge of the men, wagons, etc.  Jervis went off in good spirits."  The Rev. G. W. Kelly, who for sixteen years filled the pulpit at Hamilton, formerly Ipswich Hamlet, in a recent letter, says: "An esteemed lady, Mrs. P. Roberts, often informed me about the company which left Hamilton an hundred years ago to make a settlement in the wilderness west of the Ohio river.  A wagon appeared in the highway in front of Dr. Cutler's house, covered with black canvas, but it had on both sides of it painted in white letters, 'For Ohio.'  As the home of Mrs. R. was directly opposite that of. Dr. Cutler, she could see all that took place.  The wagon was drawn by oxen, a team most likely to be useful when snow fell on the way."  Temple Cutler stated his recollections thus: "The little band of pioneers assembled at Dr. Cutler's house, and there took an early breakfast.  About the dawn of day, they paraded in front of the house, and after a short address from him, the men being armed, three volleys were fired, and the party went forward cheered heartily by the by-standers.  Dr. Cutler accompanied them to Danvers.
     Jervis Cutler
had, at the age of sixteen, made a voyage to France, and now, at nineteen, he joined this company of adventurers, and was the first of the forty-eight who leaped on shore at the mouth of the Muskingum, April 7, 1788.  He was one of the associates who begun the settlement at Waterford, in the spring of 1789, and remained in the west until 1790, when he returned to New England and married Miss Philadelphia Cargill; in 1802 he settled at Bainbridge, Ohio, as a fur-trader.  He was chosen Major of Colonel McArthur's Ohio regiment in 1806, and enlisted a company for active service, of which he was appointed Captain.  This company was ordered to New Orleans in the spring of 1809.  Soon after his arrival there, he was prostrated by yellow fever, and the United States Senate having refused to confirm his appointment as Captain, because of a charge that he had made speeches attacking the administration, he returned to New England.  In 1812 he published a book entitled "A Topographical Description of the State of Ohio, Indiana Territory, and Louisiana," with a "Concise Account of the Indian Tribes West of the Mississippi."  In 1818, he again came west, and settled as an engraver of plates for bank notes, in Nashville, Tennessee.  His first wife died in 1822.  In 1824, he married Mrs. Elizabeth Chandler, of Evansville, Indiana.  He died in Evansville, in 1844.  His only son, now living, is Dr. George A. Cutler, of Chicago.   
* Source:  The founders of Ohio : brief sketches of the forty-eight pioneers - Publ. Cincinnati by R. Clark & Co. - 1888

NOTES:

 

CLICK HERE to Return to
MUSKINGUM COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights