WOODSFIELD, a post town and seat of justice
for Monroe County. It was located as the county seat, in June,
1815, and is situated on high ground, in Center township, in a central
part of the county, and surrounded with a tolerably level tract of land.
Near the north end, and between the main and back streets, stands a
natural mound or hill, circular at the base, and rising to the height of
60 feet. From the top of this is obtained a commanding and
extensive view of the town and surrounding country. It contains a
very splendid court house, one church, three stores, two taverns, one
printing office, two physicians, two attorneys, and 50 dwelling houses.
Population in 1830, 157; now, about 250. Distance 18 miles from
the Ohio river, 31 southwesterly from St. Clairsville, in Belmont
county, 35 northeastwardly from Marietta, and 120 easterly from
Columbus. N. lat. 39 deg. 50 min., W. lon. 4 deg. 5 min.