H. YANEY, whose fine farm of 85 acres' of excellent
land is situated in section 23, Butler township, is one of the
representative agriculturists of this part of the county and a
very highly respected citizen. He was born in Butler township,
Mercer County, Ohio, September 16, 1859, and is a son of
Benjamin and Martha Ann (Monroe) Yaney.
Benjamin Yaney was born in Pennsylvania.
In boyhood, his father having died, he accompanied his mother
to Mercer County, Ohio, among the early settlers. His whole
mature life was spent in this county; he died when our subject
was only three years old. His widow survived but seven years,
dying when John H. was 10 years and 15 days old.
From then until his marriage, our subject resided with his
grandmother, Mrs. Mary Jane Monroe. He worked on
her farm and attended the district schools and grew into a
well-trained young manhood.
On April 6, 1880, Mr. Yaney was united in
marriage with Abigail Lucretia Johnson, a
daughter of Gratz M. Johnson. She was born in
Clearfield County, Pennsylvania, September 11, 1856, and died
on Sunday, June 24, 1906, the birthday of her daughter,
Lucretia Velma, and was buried on the birthday of
her son Floyd. Her age was 49 years, 9 months and 13
days. She was 13 years old when she accompanied her parents to
Mercer County and resided with them near Montezuma until her
marriage. She was a lady of beautiful Christian character, a
faithful member of the United Brethren Church from the age of
20 years, a devoted wife and mother and a kind and sympathetic
Mr. and Mrs. Yaney had three sons and six
daughters born to them, all of whom survive except Clifton
Earl. The others are: Nevada, who married John E.
Bright, lives near Dayton and has one child; Orla,
who lives at home; Hester Estella, who married
John Plummer, lives in Washington township and has twin,
children; and Floyd Monroe, Martha Ann,
Lucretia Velma, Mildred Cleo and
Stanley Gladstone, all residing at home.
Mr. Yaney inherited 40 acres of land from
his mother and in 1885 he purchased 45 acres more. He has
improved this property, which is considered one of the best in
Butler township. In 1884 he built a commodious frame house and
added other substantial buildings. The great barn was
completed in 1904. The farm bears the pleasant name of
the "Clover Leaf Farm," and here Mr. Yaney
carries on general farming, does some dairying and produces
For a number of years Mr. Yaney has been
one of the leading members of the Radical United Brethren
Church, in which he is a class leader and a trustee. He is a
man, who on account of the uprightness of his character stands
very high in the estimation of his fellow-citizens.
(pp. 602 & 603)
CHARLES S. YOUNGER was born and reared on a farm one
mile northeast of Celina, in Jefferson township, Mercer
County, Ohio, and is the eldest son of B. L. and Victoria
Younger. He worked on the farm until the age of
19, when he began public life as a country school-teacher,
in which avocation he continued for six years in the public
schools of Mercer County. During his vacation he
attended the Ohio Normal University, at Ada, four terms,
paying his way therein from the money earned while teaching.
After reading law for some time he entered the law
department of the Ohio Normal University. Later he
entered the senior class of the Cincinnati Law School, from
which institution he was graduated with credit in May, 1895,
with the degree of LL. B.
He was immediately admitted to the bar by the Supreme
Court of Ohio, and in October, 1895, he entered upon the
practice of his chosen profession at Celina, and pursued the
practice of the law with success, enjoying the merited
reputation of a conscientious, painstaking and successful
At the spring election of 1897 he was elected a justice
of the peace of Jefferson township, and in 1899 was
appointed referee in bankruptcy by the judge of the United
States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio,
which office he resigned at the time of entering upon the
duties of probate judge of Mercer County, and is serving
with dignity, justice and integrity.
Judge Younger was united in marriage on July 29,
1896, with Emma A. Andrews, youngest daughter of
Charles W. Andrews, a pioneer farmer of Butler township,
Mercer County. They have three sons: Raymond
Andrews, Charles Russell and Clyde Noval.
The family hoe is situated on East Market street, Celina.
Judge Younger's fraternal connections are with the
Odd Fellows, Woodmen of the World and Masons. He
enjoys the honor of representing the 29th District in the
Grand Lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows of Ohio.
With his family he belongs to St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal
Church, of Celina.
* Page 354