(Source: History of Mercer County, Ohio and
Representative Citizens -
Edited and compiled by Hon. S. S.
Scranton, Celina, Ohio -
Published by Biographical Publishing Co. -
Chicago, Illinois - 1907 -
*UNLESS Otherwise Noted.)
PEARSON, one of Washington township's prosperous
agriculturists, owns 56 acres of highly cultivated farm land,
22½ acres being located in
section 4, and 32½ acres
in section 9, Washington township. He was born in East
Bradford township, Chester County, Pennsylvania, March 4,
1844, and is a son of James and Sarah (Wagonseller)
James Pearson, father of our subject, was
of Welsh descent and was a blacksmith by trade, having learned
the trade from his father, William Pearson, who
was a resident of Chester County, Pennsylvania. James
Pearson, as well as his father, died in Chester County.
James Pearson, our subject, was reared in
Chester County, Pennsylvania, where he remained until 20 years
of age, when he went to Philadelphia and worked at his trade,
being a shoemaker. In 1865 he went to Illinois where he worked
at his trade for about three years, after which he removed to
Wabash County, Indiana, and followed his trade. During his
residence in Wabash County, he made a trip to Washington
township, Mercer County, Ohio, leaving on September 21, 1869,
and while in Washington township was married to Lavina
Bastian, a daughter of George Bastian. He
moved to Mercer County in 1876, locating in Washington
township, where he has since lived, engaged in general
farming. Mr. and Mrs. Pearson have had
eight children, as follows: Minnie, who married
Elmer Day and has three children; Maggie,
wife of W. J. Boley; Homer, who married Daisy
Edmiston; Lee C.; Lizzie, who teaches school in
Liberty township; Luella; Edith and Ivy.
Mr. Pearson is at present clerk of the
School Board of Washington township. In 1894 he retired from
the office of justice of the peace, after having .served 15
PLEIMAN, who died May 31, 1896, on his valuable farm
of 95 acres, located in section 4, Butler township, was born
at Philothea, Mercer County, Ohio, in 1848.
Mr. Pleiman was married in 1883, in Butler
township, to Theresa Zumberge, a daughter of Henry
and Kate Zumberge, who died in Germany. Mrs.
Pleiman was born and reared in Germany and when 21 years
old came to America. She lived first in Minster,
Auglaize County, but since her marriage has resided on the
farm which she was capably managed since her husband's
death, and to which she has added 18 acres, making 113 acres
in all. Mrs. Pleiman had six children, namely:
Josephine, who married Joseph Ullerman and has
two children, Rosella and Annie; Joseph; George;
Frances; and Rosa and John, who died in
infancy. The family belong to St. Mary's Catholic
Church at Pilothea.
Mr. Pleiman was a widower with four children at
the time of his marriage to Theresa Zumberge.
The children by his first marriage were as follows:
Mary who married Henry Neiberding; Katie, who
married Charles Stukenborg; Elizabeth, who married
Henry Renz; and Anna, deceased, who was the wife
of Henry Shearer.
~ Page 561 - Source: History of Mercer County, Ohio and
Representative Citizens - Published by Biographical
Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907
PULSKAMP, a prosperous business man of Celina, a leader
in the furniture line, has been established here since 1889.
He was born in 1859, at Cincinnati, and is a son of the late
Hon. H. H. Pulskamp.
Hon. H. H. Pulskamp was long a prominent citizen
of Mercer County. He was born in Germany, emigrated to the
United States and worked for a number of years as a wagonmaker
at Cincinnati and at St. Johns, Mercer County. He served
through two terms as county treasurer and two terms as probate
judge of Mercer County. He died in 1892. His wife, Mary
Schafer, who was also of German extraction, died in
1886. Their surviving children are: Catherine, wife of
Henry Goecke, of St. Johns; Herman, of
this sketch; Henry, a hardware merchant at Celina;
John, cashier of the Commercial Bank of Celina; Bernard,
a physician; George, editor of the Bote, a German
newspaper at Celina; and Edward, who lives at St.
Bernards, a suburb of Cincinnati. Four children died in
Herman Pulskamp learned the
carriage-making trade at Celina, after completing his
education, and worked at his trade for about 13 years and then
engaged in the furniture business. To this he has added
undertaking and the business is carried on under the firm name
of H. & J. Pulskamp.
In September, 1881, Mr. Pulskamp was
married to Catherine Hein, a daughter of
Henry Hein, and they have four children, viz.:
Fred, Clara, Nora and Ada. With his
family, Mr. Pulskamp belongs to the Catholic
Church. He is also a member of St. Joseph's Society and the
Catholic Knights of Ohio. Among his fellow citizens he stands
as an honorable business man, who for the past 15 years has
carried on business with methods which have won him the
respect and confidence of all and the esteem and friendship of
a large number.