OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS


A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
Mahoning County, Ohio
History & Genealogy


Source:
Historical Collections of the

Mahoning Valley
containing an account of the Two
Pioneer Reunions:
together with a Selection of
Interesting Facts, Traditions, Biographical Sketches, Anecdotes, etc.
relating to the
Sale and Settlement of the Lands Belonging to
the Connecticut Land Company.
Vol. I
Youngstown:
Publ. by the Mahoning Valley Historical Society.
1876
-------------------

 

JACKSON TOWNSHIP,
MAHONING COUNTY.

Pg. 484

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to TABLE of CONTENTS >

     SAMUEL CALHOUN, who died in 1873, was the first actual settler in this township.  Samuel Riddle, John Morrison, and William Orr were others who settled very early, and Andrew Gault was the first white child born in the township.  The township was organized about the year 1815; was then called West Austintown, afterward Jackson.
     The Covenanter Church Association was organized in 1830, in the south-east part of the township, in the Gault and Ewing settlement.  This society is still worshiping at the same place where organized.  The Methodist Episcopal Church Society was organized the same year, 1830, at the center.  Some time after that they purchased a building and lot a little east of the center, which they afterward sold; and in 1840 they erected a new house for worship, one-fourth mile north of the center, which they continue to occupy.  In 1834 the German Lutherans and German Presbyterians were organized into a society, and in common erected a house for public worship one-half mile north of the center, which they still continue to use.  It has, however, been refitted once since its erection.  The pastors of the Lutheran denomination have been two, Rev. Henry Hewitt, the first; afterward the Rev. P. C. Becker, who is still in charge.  The Presbyterians, Revs. Peter Nemasmith, Heaton Rhule, Swisler, and J. B. Zumpe, and have each been in charge in the order mentioned, Zumpe being the present pastor.  The English Presbyterian societies of Ohlton and Orr's Corners united in one organization, and in 1872 erected a good, substantial house for worship a few rods east of the center.  This building has a bell, from Troy, of one thousand pounds weight, and it is heard four or five miles when rung.  The Rev. T. R. M'Mahon was the first pastor who. remained with 'them three years.  The Rev. M. Graham is now in charge.  All of the religious societies are in a prosperous condition.
     The public-schools were few, and but little interest taken in education until 1840, when a new impulse moved the settlers.  They divided the township into eight school districts, with a fractional district in the south-west corner. T hey hired competent teachers, secured a good

[Page 485]

attendance of scholars, and from that time until the present. The citizens have felt a deep interest in the cause of education; and, as a consequence, the schools are in good condition, and the community are intelligent. An academy was erected at the center in 1859. The efforts of those who erected it have met with fair success.
      Merchandising has been carried on by the following-named persons: Colwell Porter, being the first who opened a store in a log cabin; he was followed by the firm of Porter & AnthonyMr. Koons had a store he sold to Mr. Graten, about the same time Porter sold his interest to Anthony.  David Anderson commenced business in 1843; afterward sold to John Cartwright.  About the same time Trumbull & Welkers had a store on the north-west corner of the center. David Anderson again commenced on the south-east corner, and Anthony & Flaugher on the south-west corner, 1856.  Anderson & Flaugher formed a partnership under the name of D. Anderson & Co., and in 1862 the name was changed to Anderson, Shaffer & Co.  That firm is doing business at the present time.  Welkers sold to Mohennan, Osborn & Lynns Lynns retired.  The firm was then Moherman, Osborn & Moherman, which afterward was changed to Wm. and A. Moherman. They were followed by Dickson & Kirk, who were burned September, 1874.  Folk & Anderson commenced in 1866.  Anderson retired, and the new firm of Folk, Metzal & Wanamaker commenced in 1868.  Metzal and Wanamaker retired, and Gideon Folk continued the business until his death, Feb. 14, 1873.  G. W. Osborn, and Osborn & Jones were in business a short time between 1865 and 1870.  Shields, Orr & Co., also had a furniture store for about one year.
     We have two physicians, one hotel, one tin shop, one broom shop, two wagon and carriage shops, one harness, three shops, four blacksmiths, and six saw-mills in this township.
                                                      D. Anderson.

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to TABLE of CONTENTS >

NOTES:

 

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
MAHONING COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights