A Part of Genealogy Express


Welcome to
Mahoning County, Ohio
History & Genealogy

Historical Collections of the

Mahoning Valley
containing an account of the Two
Pioneer Reunions:
together with a Selection of
Interesting Facts, Traditions, Biographical Sketches, Anecdotes, etc.
relating to the
Sale and Settlement of the Lands Belonging to
the Connecticut Land Company.
Vols. I & II
Publ. by the Mahoning Valley Historical Society.

(includes Mahoning & Trumbull Cos., Ohio)


[Pg. 337]


     RIVERIUS BIDWELL, of Kinsman, was born in Canton, Hartford County, Conn., Sept. 5, 1790; married to Eunice Hotchkiss in June, 1810.  Removed from Canton in the Summer of 1812 to Gustavus; from Gustavus to Kinsman in the Summer of 1834.  Died in Kinsman, Feb. 6, 1871, leaving his widow and son, Wayne Bidwell, who still reside there.  Riverius Bidwell was a man endowed with remarkable physical and mental powers, and admirably fitted for excelling in whatever position placed.  When a young man and in preparation for entering Yale College, while teaching, he became acquainted with a young lady, Eunice Hotchkiss, of New Haven, Conn., who he married.  This event changed his contemplated pursuit of study, and shortly after he emigrated to the township of Gustavus, erected a log house on the land selected for his home, then covered by a dense forest, as was the most part of the township at that time, and applied himself to clearing his land.  In six years he had cleared and under cultivation a good farm with a good mansion and out-buildings erected, which remain at this time among the best in that thrifty township.  His unsurpassed energy and industry, directed by superior judgment and economy, seemed always attended by success, and were of incalculable value as an example to others in the early settlement of that township and to a considerable extent in adjoining townships, in which he was regarded as an example for success.
     His habits were those of most rural simplicity.  A stranger, meeting him in the neighborhood, and having respect to the maxim:  "The tailor makes the man," would observe the body of Herculean strength, clad in plain but cleanly homespun, a huge head of seven and seven-eighths dimension, with benign countenance under a straw or wool hat, but would utterly fail to recognize the leading man in his part of the country, and one of the ablest men in the State.  As early, perhaps, as 1824 or 1825, and while the county extended to the south line of the Western Reserve, Riverius Bidwell was elected treasurer of the county.  The treasurer had at that time to collect the tax by calling on the tax-payer, making it necessary for him to call at every house in the thirty-five townships (Trumbull County then included part of Mahoning).  In discharge of the duties of his office, Bidwell did what has no precedent, and has never had an imitator and never will in the county now of less dimensions.  He went on foot to every house, collected the taxes faithfully and promptly, and

[Page 338]
then walked to Columbus, settled with the Auditor of State, walked home, and resumed his private business, and, in like manner, made his collections and returns to the auditor during his term of office.  In the construction of roads, turnpikes, and bridges for the early improvements in the north part of the county, Bidwell's name was conspicuous, and the undertaking of an enterprise by him was always regarded as a guarantee of its faithful and early completion.

     SETH PERKINS, of Kinsman, was born in Hartland, Hartford Co., Conn., Feb. 29, 1780.  Removed to Barkhamsted, Litchfield County, Conn., at the age of twelve, and at twenty to Canandaigua, Ontario County, New York, where he resided till April, 1804, when he emigrated to Ohio, with his earthly possessions on his back in a knapsack  He worked by the month through the season, and in October was married to Lucy Thompson, daughter of Thomas Thompson, who came to Hartford, Trumbull County, Ohio, the same year from Farmington, Hartford County, Conn.  In the Winter he made a clearing, and built a cabin on the center line of Fowler, near the Vienna line, where he removed with his wife, then eighteen years old, in the Spring of 1805, there being at that time only four families in the township, the nearest one mile distant through an unbroken forest  They endured all the hardships incident to so new a country, and made for themselves a home of comfort, humble though it was.  At the time of Hull's surrender in 1812 he went with almost the entire male population of the county to defend the northwestern frontier at Sandusky and Huron, from whence he returned about the 1st of January, 1813, with impaired health.  He still resided on his farm in Fowler, which he had improved to a fine homestead, planted an orchard, which now by its perfectly straight rows shows his taste and care, and the fences being neat and substantial, were an evidence of industry and thrift.  In the Autumn of 1818 he sold his farm to Abijah Silliman, and in April, 1819, removed to Kinsman, there he resided until February, 1846, when, by a fall, which resulted in concussion of the spine, he died three days thereafter.  His family at the time of his settlement in Kinsman consisted of himself and wife, six daughters, and one son, and afterward another son and daughter, all of whom were in after time married, and three of whom now survive.

     JOSHUA YEOMANS was born in Norwich, Conn.  Served in the war of 1812 as captain of a company of Norwich light infantry.  He emigrated to Kinsman 1814, taught a district-school 1815, purchased two hundred acres of land on the south line of the township on the

[Page 339]
East Vernon Road in 1818.  This land he improved and held as long as he lived, though his home for the last fifteen or twenty years of his life was in the village of Kinsman, on the corner of the State and Warren Roads.  He planted a field of broom-corn where the Kinsman House now stands, and made the first broom corn brooms in the country.  His marriage to Miss Harriet Cole, of Kinsman, was in 1819.  He was a member of the Presbyterian Church, and died Sept. 20, 1853, in his sixty-seventh year.

     JOHN YEOMANS, brother of the above, came to Kinsman a few years later, and settled on a farm lying alongside that of his brother's.  His death occurred a few years previous to his brother's.

     DR. PETER ALLEN. - Kinsman has had no citizen more honored and useful in his calling than Dr. Peter Allen.  He was born at Norwich, Conn., July 1, 1787, the son of John and Tirzah Allen.  His father was a respectable and well-to-do farmer of Norwich, and gave his son the best advantages of education which the city at that time afforded.  He pursued and completed his professional studies with the eminent Dr. Tracy, of Norwich, emigrating to Kinsman 1808, and immediately entering on the practice of his profession.  He was the first and for nearly a quarter of a century the only physician in the township and a somewhat extensive surrounding country.  Possessed of an uncommonly robust constitution and great energy of character, he endured hardships and peformed an amount of labor in his profession which in these days of bridges, good roads, and short rides might seem almost incredible.  It was nothing uncommon for him in the early settlement of the country to ride over bad roads and along mere bridle paths ten, fifteen, twenty or miles to visit a patient, often fording streams or crossing them on logs and by canoes, exposed to wet and cold, fatigues and discomforts that we are now little able to appreciate.  In his day the advantages of medical schools, hospitals, clinics, dissections were enjoyed only by a very few physicians.  Notwithstanding the disadvantages with which he had to contend, Dr. Allen attained a high standing in his profession.  He performed many difficult surgical operations, such as the operation for strangulated hernia, ligating the femeral artery for aneurism, laryngotomy, lithotomy, removal of cancers, amputation of limbs and at the shoulder joint, etc.  He stood high in the esteem of medical men, and his counsel was much sought by them in difficult cases of both medicine and surgery.  He was an active member of the Ohio State Medical Association from its first formation,and was at one time its presiding officer.  In the

[Page 340]

was of 1812 he had the first appointment of surgeon in the army on the northern frontier of the State.  He was also a member of the Ohio State Legislative in 1840.
     He married Charity Dudley, of Bethlem, Conn., May 15, 1813.  Mrs. Allen, a superior and most estimable woman, was for many years a great sufferer.  Her death was sudden, she having been thrown from the carriage, in which she was riding, by the fright of her horse, June 1, 1840, and lived only a few hours after.  In 1841 Dr. Allen married Miss Fanny Brewster Starr, a niece of Mrs. R. Kinsman and General Simon Perkins.  She died of consumption August, 1846.  Dr. Allen had but one child, Dr. Dudley Allen, born June, 1814.
     The first office of Dr. Allen was in his father's yard, on the farm now occupied by Isaac Allen, by the maple grove on the banks of Stratton Creek.  This he occupied until the Fall of 1813, when he moved into a double log house, which stood in the yard in which he built his frame house in 1821.  This latter was in the time of its erection and is still a beautiful house of elaborate and superior workmanship.  It was much admired, and cost three thousand dollars, which was then considered an extravagant sum.
     His brother, Dr. Francis Allen, was in company with him from 1825 to 1829, and his son from 1837 to 1852, at which time he mostly relinquished practice.  The farm on which he lived was purchased in 1812 for two dollars per acre.
     Dr. Allen is remembered by those who knew him, not merely as a skillful physician, but also as an active and steadfast member of the Church of Christ.  when his business permitted he was always present in the house of God on the Sabbath.  A regular attendant at the weekly prayer-meeting, and in the latter part of his life was an active member of the Sabbath-school.
     After having relinquished the business of his profession he was almost the standing representative of the Church in meetings of Synod, and at the meeting next succeeding his death was spoken of by that body in terms of high regard.  Only a few months before his last sickness he represented Trumbull Presbytery as their lay delegate in the N. S. General Assembly, at Dayton.  He retained full possession of his faculties though advanced in life, and his Christian example shown bright until the end.

     WALTER DAVIS came from Ireland when sixteen years of age, and settled in Chartiers Creek, Penn., where he lived till his marriage to Miss Mary Murray 1803.  Came to Kinsman with his wife 1804.

[Page 341]

     JAMES M'CONNELL came from Londonderry, Ireland, 1794.  When he landed at Philadelphia with his wife and two children they had the small-pox; so that it was with the greatest difficulty that they could obtain lodgings; and one of their little girls died.  They lived in Washington County, Penn., two years, then in Beaver County until they moved to Kinsman, 1804, having four children.  The roads were so bad that they had to leave their wagons and come on horseback.  Mrs. M'Connell and that children stopped at Mr. Mossman's, over the line, while Mr. M'Connell came on and put up a log house.  The next Monday they all went over, and the mother and children sat on a log while the father cut an opening for a door.  They kept fire by a big log outside until the fire-place was built in the house.

     BRACKIN AND KING. - The ancestors of John Brackin were of Scotch descent.  James Brackin his father, was from Glasgow, Scotland.  John Brackin lived in Ireland, and married Mrs. Jane King who at the time of their marriage had two sons, James and Robert.  After her second marriage she had two other sons, Ezekiel and DavidJohn Brackin and family left Londonderry, Ireland, May 22, 1803, and in about four weeks landed at Wilmington, Delaware, and came to Strabane, Washington County, Penn.  David, a boy of sixteen, still remained in Ireland attending school.  Robert King came first to Kinsman.  In 1804, the next year after coming to America, the family came to Kinsman.  Two years afterward, David left Londonderry, July 17, 1805, and reached Newcastle, Delaware, Sept. 18th, thence to Strabane, Washington County, Penn.  When John Brackin went to Washington County for his son David, stopping in Pittsburg, he went into a shoe shop for a pair of shoes.  Mr. Riddle, the proprietor, asked him, "How long since you came from the holy sod?"  He replied, "How do you known I came from there?"  Mr. Riddle answered, "O!  the potato blossoms are not out of your cheeks yet."  Conversing together they found they had been old schoolmates in Ireland.

     JOHN LITTLE. - Mrs. Anna Beckwith (Miss Little) says, "My father and family emigrated from Beaver Township, Beaver County, Penn., April, 1804.  We started the 11th of April, and were about ten days on the road.  When we got to the house of a Mr. Potter, about two miles from our place, we stopped, and father when on and which we moved immediately.  When we came to Kinsman there

[Page 342]

were eight of children, James, Nicholas, Anna, Jane, Elizabeth, Margaret, M'Clure and David.  John, Mary, and Eleanor were born in Ohio.

     ISAAC MEACHAM came from Hartland, Conn., 1806; born Apr. 30, 1778; died Dec. 12, 1841.

     IRA MEACHAM, from Hartland, Conn., 1812; born Sept. 26, 1784; died Sep. 23, 1850, age, sixty-six.

     SAM LEWIS.  (Name only)

     OBED GILDER - Born May 29, 1793, Hartland Conn.; came to Kinsman Apr. 1, 1815

     LEMUEL NEWTON - Born Nov. 27, 1783, Cheshire, Conn.; emigrated to Gustavus, 1809; Kinsman, 1814; died Nov 27, 1860.

     JAIRUS BROCKETT. - born Oct. 17, 1783, North Haven, Conn.; emigrated to Kinsman, 1809; died Sept. 7, 1872.

     HENRY BUDWELL came from Pennsylvania; died near Greenville, Penn.

     GEORGE LILLIE, from Sharon County, commenced a farm north of Thomas K's brick house.

     HENRY LILLIE, brother, from the same place, went first to Johnson; came to Kinsman about 1820.

     HUTCHINS AND LYMAN KINNEY settled on the Galpin Place.

     NICHOLAS KRAHL, a hatter, come from Westmoreland County, Penn., to Kinsman, 1812-13; settled on land south of Captain Briggs.

     ASA HERRICK.  (no more info)

     PETER LOSSEE, from Monmouth, New Jersey, 1808; born December, 1750; died, 1815.

     JAMES LAUGHLIN, from Pennsylvania; died July 10, 1868, aged seventy-six.

     CLARK GIDDINGS, from Connecticut, 1810-12, lived on L. C. Perkins's place.

     MICHAEL BURNS emigrated 1808 from Baltimore County, Md.; lived on the south line of the township.

     PLUM SUTLIFF, from Vernon.  (no more info)

     A. FOSTER (no more info)

     JOHN KYLE - Born Franklin County, Penn., 1772; came to Kinsman Apr. 4, 1813; died Apr. 28, 1870.1

[Page 343]

     EBENEZER WEBBER - Born Palmer, Mass., May 22, 1778; came to Kinsman August, 1819; died Dec. 15, 1843.

     LESTER CONE, from Hartland, Conn., 1807; lived on the Kinsman Cone Farm, west of Cone bridge; died at Sandusky.

     WILLIAM CHRISTY and MARY HENDERSON, his wife, came from Westmoreland County, Penn., to Kinsman, 1804, having two children, James and Joseph.

     ANDREW CHRISTY, brother of William, came at the same time, and about five years after married Betsey M'Connel, and settled on his farm next north of William Christy.

     JEDEDIAH BURNHAM. - The life of Jedediah Burnham, through a period of nearly eighty-seven years, has been intimately and variously connected with the growth and progress of the township of Kinsman.  His counsels and acts, whether in the military, civil, or religious organizations of the town, as well as in the administration of all township and county affairs intrusted to him, have been marked with eminent justice, propriety, and wisdom.  HE came to Kinsman not far from the time that he became of age, and was very soson appointed to office.  From that time to the period when the infirmities of age began to press upon him he was actively employed in responsible duties to which he was called by his fellow-citizens of the town and county.  He was an active member and honored officer of the Congregational and Presbyterian Church in Kinsman, from its beginning to the day of his death.  Pre-eminently a peace-maker, he was commonly the first one in the town resorted to for the settlement of any misunderstanding or difficulty between neighbor and neighbor, or trouble of any sort that had sprung up in the community. 
     He was born in Lisbon, Conn., 1785, the son of Dr. Jedediah Burnham a respectable physician of that place, who in his old age, with his wife and daughter, removed to Kinsman, and lived and died in the family of his son.  In 1804 Mr. Burnham left the home of his parents and went to Virginia, with the hope of finding in that State a location that would please him.  He returned, however, without locating.
     At that time the circulating medium of the Western Reserve was principally specie.  Many parties came to the State, commonly on horseback, with coin in their saddle-bags for the purchase of lands.  The returns of these sales enabled proprietors of large tracts of lands here to make their payments as they became due East.
     Mr. Kinsman in 1805, had been more than ordinarily successful

[Page 344]

in the sale of his lands, and had accumulated quite a quantity of specie, which from time to time he had deposited in Pittsburg.  Early in the Fall he went to Pittsburg on horseback.  There he purchased another horse, afterward known as the family horse Chickasaw, and, loading his coin on the backs of his two horses, rode to Boston, leading Chickasaw.  Here he disposed of his money, and returned to Lisbon, Conn., with the horses.  He proposed to Mr. Burnham to accompany him to Ohio and enter into his employ.  His proposition having been accepted, Mr. Kinsman left him "Chickasaw," and started for New York and Philadelphia, for the purchase of goods, with the understanding that Burnham would meet him at Columbia, Penn., in time to accompany him on his return to Kinsman.
     Mr. Burnham, having made preparations for his journey, started in company with a Mr. Woodward, in Cincinnati.  On the way, between Lisbon and Fishkill, they stopped two days to attend the wedding of Mr. Woodward's sister, reaching Columbia two days before the arrival of Mr. Kinsman.
     From that place they arrived in Kinsman in November.  The new house of Mr. Kinsman was being rapidly brought to its completion.  The first work of Mr. Burnham was to assist in putting in the stone chimney.  After that he was busy in various work of the farm until Winter, when he was engaged to teach the first regular school of the township.  The next Spring and Summer he was again employed on the farm, and assisted in putting in a crop of oats on the bottom lands south of Wayne Bidwell's.  The product was an abundant crop of straw as well as oats, which was mowed and stacked for Winter fodder near Mr. Kinsman's house.
     In the Winter of 1806 he again commenced the school, with the understanding that Benjamin Allen would take his place as soon as he had finished a job of work in Hubbard.  In accordance with this arrangement, Mr. Burnham was relieved about midwinter, and went into Mr. Kinsman's store in the capacity of a clerk, where he remained until the breaking out of the war of 1812, when he was called to serve in the army, as has already been recorded.
     In the organization of the township militia, Mr. Burnham was first appointed lieutenant in Captain Randall's company, and afterward promoted to captain.  Returning from the army, Captain Burnham at once devoted himself to the cultivation and improvement of his farm.
     He was married to Miss Sophia Bidwell, of Gustavus, 1814.  IN 1816 he was elected a justice of the peace, in which capacity he

[Page 345]

served uninterruptedly twenty-one years.  His official acts were ever marked with justice and propriety; and of all his decisions appealed from during his long administration, it is said that not any (if any, certainly but very few) were reversed by the higher courts.
     In 1806 he was chosen collector of the civil township of Green, embracing under that name what is now Kinsman, Gustavus, and Green.  Afterward he was appointed county collector, when the law required the collector to call at the residence of every person taxed to make the collection.  This arduous duty was performed by himself alone, going on horseback from house to house throughout the county.  Afterward he had the office of county assessor, the duties of which were performed in a similar manner, and required about the same amount of time and labor.  The duties of his offices were attended to with a high degree of exactitude, promptness, and fidelity.
     He held the office of deacon in the Vernon, Hartford, and Kinsman Church, and, after the formation of the Congregational and Presbyterian Church in Kinsman, the same office in that until his death.  His long, prosperous, eventful, and useful life closed early in the year of 1874.

     SIMON FOBES, Esq., became a resident of Kinsman in 1817.  His dwelling and farm were on the center road, something over a mile south of the north line of the township.  The following are the principal events of his life, substantially, as given by himself, and recorded by his son, Joshua Fobes, Esq., in 1835:


     "My ancestors were among the early emigrants from England to America.  They settled in Bridgwater, Mass.  Their names was originally Forbes.  When and by whom the letter 'r' was left out, changing the name to Fobe, is not known.  My grandfather, Caleb Fobes, whose wife was named Abigail had five children - Joshua, who lived to be eighty-four, was married, and raised a numerous family; Caleb, who lived to be eighty-four; Simon, my father, who lived to be eighty-six; Nathan, who had a family, and lived to the age of seventy; and Sarah, who married a Wallbridge, had a number of children, and lived to an advanced age.  My grandfather died when my father was but a boy.  At the age of six years he was apprenticed to a farmer, with whom he lived until he was of age, when he married Thankful Ellis, by whom he had eight children - four sons

[Page 346]

and four daughters.  The eldest died at birth.  The names of the others were Thankful, Joshua, Bethiah, Simon, Nathan, Ellis, and Eunice.  Joshua died in childhood; Thankful in 1826; Ellis, 1831; and Bethiah, 1836, aged eighty-two years.  My brother Nathan removed to Ohio in 1806, and settled in Wayne, Ashtabula County, where he raised a numerous family, and had the pleasure of seeing them all settle about him.  He died in the hope of the Gospel November 23, 1833, aged seventy-five years.  My parents lived in Canterbury, Windham County, Conn., and were respected members of the Congregational Church in that place.
     "I was born the 5th of April, 1756.  At an early age I was employed on the farm, and kept steadily at work.  When I was about fourteen my father sold his farm in Canterbury, and removed to Amherst, Hampshire County, Mass.  His property was small, and my opportunities of learning and education were quite limited.  The extent of my acquirements was to be able to read and write, cipher to the rule of three, and cast interest."
     It was about this time, during the years of his minority, when
there was no special religious interest in the community, that he be
came impressed with a sense of his sinfulness, and, after months of
spiritual depression, was enabled to rejoice in the hope of the Gospel.
He united with the Congregational Church, and was a consistent member of it through a long life.


     "In the year 1774, the troubles between Great Britain and the Colonies having assumed a very serious aspect, the Provincial Congress of Massachusetts recommended that all able-bodied men, liable to do military duty should form themselves into companies, and exercise with the view of being prepared for war.  My father, being a firm friend to his country, but too old and feeble to take any active part himself, encouraged me to go, and I accordingly enlisted into a company of minute-men (so-called), and to some extent learned military exercise.
     "When the alarm was made by the first blood shed at Lexington, on the 17th of April, 1775, I had been to Canterbury, in Connecticut, with one of my sisters, on a visit to our connections and friends.  On our return, when in the township of Union, about thirty miles from home, I first heard of the dreadful catastrophe at Lexington.  We proceeded homeward as fast as possible.  The tidings spread.  The

[Page 347]

voice of war rang through the land, and preparations were everywhere commenced to carry it forward with vigor.
     "Immediately after reaching home I made some change of clothing, took my gun and accouterments, and started, in company with some others, for Cambridge, six miles north of Boston, where the American troops were collecting.  I there joined my company of minute-men, which had marched the day before I got home, and began active military service.  After a while I enlisted for the remainder of the year into a company commanded by Captain Eliakim Smith, of Old Hadley.  Our regiment was commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel Jonathan Ward, and our brigade and General Artemas Ward.  In the mean time my parents sent me a suit of clothes, and I continued with the troops without returning home.
     "Our regiment was stationed at a breastwork, called Fort No. 2, a little back of Cambridge, toward Boston.  We often stood sentry down on the marsh, where the mosquitoes were very troublesome, and so near the British sentries that we could hear them sing out every hour of the night, 'all is well.'
     "On the evening preceding the 17th of June one thousand men, under the command of General Putnam, were sent to make an intrenchment of Bunker's Hill, nearer the Birtish ships, lying at anchor in Boston Harbor.  By daylight, next morning, they had thrown up a breastwork about eight rods square, and four feet in height.  When the British saw what had been done they soon began a terrible cannonade from the ships and floating batteries; also from a forenoon lost but one man.  Soon after twelve, three thousand British troops, commanded by Major-General Howe, crossed Charles River for the purpose of taking the redoubt.  The battle and result that followed are well known.
     "Soon after the firing, on that memorable day, had begun, about one-half of our regiment marched, as a re-enforcement, from Cambridge to Charlestown Neck, where the British were continually firing.  There we lay awhile, waiting for orders.  When the orders came we marched on behind the buildings, as well as we could, across the Neck, which was partially flooded, it being high water.
     "When we started from the fort, in Cambridge, marching in double files, I was near the center of the detachment, fully resolved to

[Page 348]

go as far as my officers did.  In crossing the Neck I soon perceived that fully one-half of our soldiers were missing, and I was near the front of the detachment.
    "As we ascended the hill the other side of the Neck, the musket-balls whistled merrily.  I noticed my officers dodging, first one way, then the other.  For my part I knew not which way to dodge.  A ball struck my gun near the lock as I was carrying it on my shoulder, and split off a piece of the stock.  All this, together with the frequent meeting of our men, bringing off the wounded and the dying, made it a trying time for young soldiers.  I can not tell which way or how my hair stood, for it seemed to me it stood every way.
     "As we were hurrying on without much order, some one called to us to come that way, and there was a good place.  We advanced to a post and rail fence through a shower of musket-balls, where we made a stand.  I discharged my gun three times at the British, taking deliberate aim as if at a squirrel, and saw a number of men fall.  I had become calm as a clock.  When loading my gun the fourth time, I happened to cast my eyes around, and, to my astonishment, my fellow-soldiers were running at full speed down the hill.  I had heard no orders to retreat.  That instant my sergeant, who stood near me, started to follow them.  Then it was I saw a company of British regulars marching rapidly toward us.  I finished loading my gun as quick as I could.  When they had got within a few rods of us, however, I fired it off at them, and then ran for my life.  At the same time the British were ordered to halt, make ready, and fire.  The balls whistled again, but did no material injury.  One of my mates received a flesh wound.  Firing down hill they shot over us.
     "A very large number of men, both old and young, had now collected.  All seemed to be bustle and tumult.  Charlestown, now wrapped in flames, added greatly to the interest of the scene.  I saw the lofty steeple when on fire.  It trembled and fell to the ground.  Our officers, with evident anxiety and perplexity, were running to and fro, endeavoring to devise some plan by which we could drive the British from the hill.
     "A noted officer (I do not recollect his name) now stepped forward, and marched round in the crowd calling for volunteers to attempt the retaking of the hill.  A large body of us volunteered, and we marched on near to the neck, where our commander came upon General Putnam.  Our soldiers were very poorly equipped, nearly one-half being armed with old rusty guns without bayonets. 

[Page 349]

was so fortunate as to have a good gun and bayonet.  The British had now paraded on the top of the hill with heavy artillery.  While General Putnam and our commanding officer were talking together, a cannon-ball struck the stone wall near the former.  After conversing awhile. General Putnam wheeled his horse and rode off.  Prudence seemed to direct that the attempt should be abandoned.  After remaining in suspense until near dark, we were dismissed, and with
our officers marched back to our tents.
     " In the mean time some of our soldiers had been to Cambridge, and got a pail of rum for us to drink when we returned. It being hot weather, I had become very thirsty and was much fatigued. At the door of the tent stood a pail, containing water as I supposed, with a pint tin cup in it. Some one asked me to drink. I took the cup and dipped it almost full, and drank the most of it before I was aware that it was rum.  I was very much startled, fearing the consequences of what I had done.  Being very weary, I lay down, and was soon asleep, and did not awake until the next morning.  When I arose I found that my fears were not realized. I had sustained no material injury, as in ordinary circumstances I doubtless should have done, and I was ready to do my duty as usual.
     "About noon we were alarmed by a report that the enemy was advancing to attack us.  We were immediately paraded, and I don't know but I was as willing to go then as I was the day before.  However, the word came that the alarm was without foundation, and we were dismissed.
     "When I was a prisoner aboard a British ship in the St. Lawrence, a man of intelligence, and who was acquainted with the facts regarding the battle of Bunker's Hill, told me that the British lost in that engagement about one thousand men.  The weather being very hot a great many died of their wounds.
     "After the battle of Bunker's Hill the regiment to which I belonged remained at Cambridge.  There I frequently attended public worship on the Sabbath.  On week-days we often had little or nothing to do.
     " Some time in August we left our tents and marched to Dorchester, three miles south of Boston, and were quartered among the inhabitants.  There we continued to do military duty.  In the mean time our Captain Smith was taken very sick with a fever, and was removed to Waterton, seven miles from Boston, where he soon after
died, greatly lamented, and was buried with military honors.
     "While we lay at Dorchester, the non-commissioned officers and

[Page 350]

privates of our company agreed upon some by-laws, to be in force among ourselves, particularly with regard to pilfering and uncleanliness about the camp.  If any one, on being accused and tried by a court-martial consisting of the sergeants of the company, was found guilty, he was fined or whipped at the discretion of the court.
These by-laws were strictly enforced.  A soldier was brought before the court for some misdemeanor, tried, found guilty, and sentenced to be whipped.  He was immediately taken into an orchard, tied to an apple-tree, and smartly whipped with rods.  Another was caught on a pear-tree stealing fruit, and he was tried and severely punished.


     "About this time, by direction of General Washington, Colonel Benedict Arnold had succeeded in raising one thousand volunteers for an expedition against Canada.  Captain Jonas Hubbard, of Worcester, a stout athletic man, and much esteemed and beloved by all his acquaintances, was one of the volunteers.  A number of our company, including myself, were enrolled in his company, when we were marched to Cambridge, and quartered on the inhabitants of the town while preparing for our contemplated expedition.  Some time about
the middle of September, the necessary preparations having been completed, we took our baggage, and marched by land to Newburyport, thirty-three miles north north-east from Boston.  We lay in Newburyport over the Sabbath, and attended public worship in military order.  Monday we shipped aboard some dirty coasters and fish boats, and sailed into the mouth of the Kennebec.  During this short voyage I became very seasick; and such a sickness, making me feel so lifeless, so indifferent whether I lived or died!  It seemed to me that had I been thrown into the sea I should hardly have made an effort to have saved myself.  We sailed up the Kennebec about fifty miles to a place called Fort Weston, where we left our shipping, went ashore, and encamped.  While we were shifting our baggage to some bateaux, one of the men, in a passion, fired into a room full of soldiers, and killed one of their number.  He was taken and tried by a court-martial, and found guilty of murder.  He was sent back under guard to headquarters at Cambridge.
     "When baggage and boats were ready we moved up the river, some proceeding by land, some in boats.  We were frequently obliged to haul our boats against a rapid current, and being heavily loaded, our progress was slow.  At Fort Halifax, there was a short fall that was impassable and we were compelled to take our baggage and

[Page 351]




[Page 352]





[Page 353]




[Page 354]




[Page 355]







[Page 356]



[Page 357]



[Page 358]



[Page 359]










---------- NOTES:

1. Per Ohio, Soldier Registrations, 1804-1858:  John Kyle - b. 1771, PA - Enlisted May 21, 1812 - Discharge Date: Jul. 24, 1812 - Died Apr. 28, 1870, Kinsman, OH - Buried Old Kinsman Cem., Kinsman, OH - Rank: Private in Army.
He can be found in 1830 Census, Kinsman, Trumbull Co., Ohio as well as 1850 as well as 1860 living with his wife in the home of his possibly daughter, Minerva (Manerva) and her husband Henry Fry.   NOTE:  This needs to be verified)
There are many other things on Ancestry.





This Webpage has been created exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights