OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS


 

Mahoning County, Ohio

.

Biographical Index
Transcribed by Sharon Wick
PLEASE NOTE:  I don't have the original copies of these books so if you want a good copy of a portrait, you will have to contact the library at:
305 Wick Ave., Youngstown, OH 44503
Phone: 330.744.8636
Reference Fax: 330.744.3355
Business Office Fax: 330.744.2258
-------------------

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< For Sources, CLICK HERE to Return to BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >

PETER CARLTON was born in Liberty township, Oct. 28, 1821.  He is a grandson of Francis Carlton, a Revolutionary soldier, who emigrated from New Jersey in 1799, and was one of the first settlers of Warren, Ohio, and son of Peter Carlton, a soldier of the War of 1812, who was one of the boys present at Salt Springs when Captain George was killed by McMahon, July 20, 1800.  Peter Carlton, Jr., married Miss Catherine Cauffield, of Brookfield, in 1850, and removed to Hartford in 1857, and settled in the south part of the township, on lot twenty-nine on the farm where he has since resided.  Their children are Mary B., Lizzie A., Jennie D., John B., and Bertha.  Mr. Carlton is a much respected citizen and a peaceable, industrious farmer.  He was elected justice of the peace in 1866, and has been successively re-elected four times, holding the office fifteen years.  Although he is an active worker in the Republican party he has had the support of all parties.  He has considerable reputation as a juror, often having served as grand, common pleas, and United States juror.  He was one of the corporators of the Harvard Academic institute.  He was the only man in the township who attended the inauguration of President Garfield in 1881.  He now holds the office of notary public.
~Page 286 - 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co., Chicago, Illinois - 1907
NATHANIEL CHURCH was a descendant of the fifth generation from Richard Church, one of the colonists of Plymouth, Massachusetts, who, though not a passenger in the Mayflower, joined the Pilgrims as early as 1631.  It is supposed that he afterwards removed to Hartford, Connecticut, as the name of Richard Church is found there upon the public monument erected to the memory of the first settlers of the town.  Nathaniel Church was the son of Samuel Church, and was born in Bethlehem, Connecticut, Nov. 16, 1756.  His father died when he was but three years old.  At a suitable age he was apprenticed to a weaver, but finding his master one difficult to please he deserted his service soon after the breaking out of the Revolutionary war and joined the patriot army.  He was wounded in the battle of White Plains and his injuries were pronounced mortal.  He recovered, however, though his wounds ever troubled him.  He did not rejoin the army, but as soon as he was able to resume his trade as a weaver he went to Canaan, Connecticut, and was there employed by Captain John Ensign, a clothier.  Oct. 4, 1781, he married Lois Ensign, youngest daughter of his employer.  She died in about two years, leaving two sons, Ensign and Samuel.  In 1793 he was again married, to Dorcas Nickerson, who died in 1799.  From this marriage there were also two children, Luman and John.  He was a third time married in 1800, to Mrs. Ruth Johns, who bore five children- Nathaniel, Frederick, Lois, William, and Ruth.  His third wife survived him and died in 1842.  Mr. Church was prominently engaged in manufacturing and assisted in the erection of a paper-mill in Salisbury.  This mill having burned, he retired to a farm on the banks of the Housatonic, where he died Nov. 10, 1837.  He was an active and ardent politician and was twice elected a member of the House of Assembly from the town of Salisbury.  He was a devoted Christian of the Methodist denomination.
     Samuel Church, his oldest son, became a distinguished lawyer in Connecticut and chief justice of the supreme court in that State.  He was the father of A. E. Church, a distinguished mathematician and a professor in the United States Military academy at West Point.
     Ensign Church was born in Salisbury in 1782, and married Jerusha Wright in 1805.  He and his wife left Connecticut in May, 1805, and arrived in Canfield the 4th of June following.  In 1812 he was appointed deputy quartermaster under General Simon Perkins, and was discharged in 1813, broken down by fatigue in the service.  He died April 17, 1813.  He was the father of two children, one of whom died in 1818; the other became the wife of Hon. Eben Newton.  His widow afterwards married Eli T. Boughton, of Canfield, and died here in 1869 at the advanced age of eighty-four.
     John R. Church, a son of Nathaniel Church, came to Canfield in 1818, and for several years was a successful business man and associate judge.  He died Apr. 11, 1868.
Source: History of Trumbull & Mahoning Counties with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches - Vol. II - Publ. Cleveland: H. Z. Williams & Bro. 1882 - Page 32
  MYRON SOBIESKI CLARK, M. D.

(Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown and Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens, Publ. by Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 761)

FRENCH F. CLINGAN, one of the leading business men at Youngstown, is secretary and treasurer of the Mahoning Builders' Supply Company, and secretary and treasurer of the Lowellville Coal Mining Company.  He was born in 1873, at Hubbard, Trumbull County, Ohio, and is a son of C. N. Clingan.
    
The father of Mr. Clingan was born in Coitsville township, Mahoning County, Ohio, but for the past 30 years he has been engaged in the wholesale and retail flour and feed business at Hubbard.
     After completing his education, French F. Clingan assisted his father in his business for several years.  He then accepted the position of secretary and treasurer with the Youngstown Ice Company, remaining with them for three years.  In 1903, in association with James D. Gibson and William Tod, Mr. Clingan organized and incorporated the Ohio Stone Paving Company, with William Tod as president and French F. Clingan as secretary and treasurer.  In the following year, the same parties, with S. B. Clegg, L. D. Gibson and J. K. Home of Struthers, organized and incorporated the Mahoning Builders' Supply Company, S. B. Clegg is president; J. K. Home vice president, and F. F. Clingan, secretary and treasurer and is also manager.  This company deals in all kinds of builders' supplies, with the exception of lumber, and in connection with his business, have built a hard-wall plaster plant, for the manufacture of hard-wall plaster.  The company has also large coal interests, owning a coal bank at Lowellville.  The Lowellville Coal Mining Company was incorporated and capitalized at $3,000, with Jacob Stambaugh as a president and F. F. Clingan as secretary and treasurer.  These different business combinations represent immense capital and give work to 100 employees.
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 965
LUCIUS E. COCHRAN, whose numerous and important business interests and connections have made his name a familiar one all over and beyond the State of Ohio, and whose personal attributes have won him the confidence and esteem of his fellow-citizens at Youngstown, was born June 12, 1842, in Delaware County, Ohio, and is a son of Robert and Nancy (Hummason) Cochran.
     The Cochran family was founded in Trumbull County, Ohio, by George H. Cochran, the grandfather of our subject, who transferred his mercantile interests from Pittsburg, Pennsylvania to Vienna Ohio.  His son Robert, one of his six children, passed the greater part of his life as an agriculturist in Logan County, where he and his wife were leading members of the Christian Church.  They had a family of four sons and three daughters.
     Lucius E. Cochran was educated in the district schools and later took a commercial course at Pittsburg, following which he accepted a position as clerk in a general store.  In 1862 he became bookkeeper for the firm of Andrews & Hitchcock, prominent business men of Youngstown, with whom he remained until 1867, when he went into business for himself, becoming a member of the mercantile firm of Andrews Brothers & Company, at Haselton, Ohio, a suburb of Youngstown.  In 1880 Mr. Cochran was elected president and treasurer of a large business combination, which united the firms of Andrews Brothers, Andrews Brothers & Company, and the Niles Iron Company into a corporation known as the Andrews Brothers Company.  In addition to the duties of this position, involving immense responsibility.  Mr. Cochran is connected, either as a principal and important official, in some of the greatest combinations of capital and industry that now occupy the attention of the business world in this section.  He was president of the Youngstown Car Manufacturing Company; was also president of the Youngstown Bridge Company; and is president of the Youngstown Iron and Steel Roofing Company; president of the Youngstown Pressed Steel Car Company; president of the G. M. McKelvey Company; president of the Edwin Bell Company, conducting a cooperage business, of which he was one of the originators; president of the Mahoning Valley Water Company; vice-president of the Commercial National Bank; vice-president of the Morris Hardware Company; a director of the Youngtown Carriage & Wagon Company; a director of the Ohio Steel Company, of which he was one of the founders, and a director of the Pittsburg, Cleveland & Toledo Railroad Company.  He was one of the originators of the Mahoning & Shenango Dock Company, as well as of the Mahoning Ore Company, of which latter concern he was formerly vice-president.  Mr. Cochran deserves the title of captain of industry, for he has reached his elevated position in the business world through a natural business genius.
     In 1868 Mr. Cochran was married to Mary Isabella Brownlee, a daughter of John and Leah (Powers) Brownlee.  They had two sons, Robert B. and Chauncy A., the former of whom is now deceased.  Chauncy A. Cochran is a very prominent young business man at Youngstown, is a secretary of the Youngstown Iron & Steel Roofing Company, and also of the Youngstown Pressed Steel Company.  He married Sarah E. Davis, daughter of the late Hon. John R. Davis, of Youngstown, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this volume, and resides at No. 680 Bryson street, Youngstown.
     Mr. Cochran has always been identified politically with the Republican party.  During his residence at Haselton he served 22 years as postmaster, being an appointee of President Grant.  His fraternal connections include membership in all the highest branches of Masonry, he having attained the 32nd degree.  Both he and his wife are members of the Memorial Presbyterian Church at Youngstown.
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 438
  JESSE CUNNINGHAM

(Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown and Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens, Publ. by Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 789)

 
 
 
 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
MAHONING COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights