OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 
Welcome to
Lucas County, Ohio
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

 Source:
Memoirs of Lucas County & City of Toledo
Harvey Scribner, Editor in Chief
Illustrated
Volumes I & II
Publ. Madison, Wisc. by Western Historical Association
1910
 

A B C D E F G H IJ K
L M N OP QR S T UV W XYZ

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to 1910 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE to RETURN to LIST of BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >

  JAMES H. TAYLOR, founder and promoter of the American Woodenware Manufacturing Company, 371-472 Erie street, Toledo, of which he is now president and general manager, merits consideration in this historical compilation by reason of his status in the industrial world.  He is a product of the old Empire State, born at Watertown, Jefferson county, New York, May 3, 1851, a son of Joseph G. and Mary (Gillespie) Taylor, natives of the British Isles.  The parents immigrated to this country in an early day and became numbered among the pioneer settlers of Watertown, N. Y., where the father was first engaged in following his occupation of contractor and builder and later in constructing the wooden portions of railway lo9comotives.  Both were members of the official church of their native land, the Episcopal; were exemplary, honored citizens and commanded in fullest measure the respect of the entire community.  James H. Taylor, to whom this review is dedicated, received his rudimentary education in the common schools of the city of his nativity and later attended the high school in Toledo, to which city his parents moved in 1866.  When in his sixteenth year, he found employment with the Union Manufacturing Company, manufacturers of woodenware, shortly after the organization of that concern, with which he remained for thirteen years, and then removed to Westfield, Hampden county, Massachusetts, where he was engaged as superintendent and manager of a woodenware manufacturing company, and where he remained three and a half years.  He then returned to Toledo and embarked in business on his own account, founding the American Churn Company, the title of which later was altered to the American Wooden Ware Company, and seven years afterward he sold this establishment to the estate of William Peter at which time he became manager of the woodenware department, receiving in return for his services and patents a royalty on the output thereof.  After having faithfully and conscientiously performed the duties of this responsible position for eleven years, he organized, in 1902, the American Woodenware Manufacturing Company, of which he became president and general manager, and in which capacity he still officiates.  In 1903 he purchased the property at 271-472 South Erie street, where the establishment is today located.  On Oct. 25, 1875, Mr. Taylor was happily united in marriage to Miss Amelia Kirchmaier, of Plymouth, Richland county, Ohio, a daughter of William and Ernestine (Roth) Kirchmaier, both of whom were natives of Stuttgart, Wurttemberg, Germany.  The union of Mr. Taylor and wife has been blessed with the birth of seven children.  One died when two years and a half old, and six are living, namely:  Julius Bryon, who is now superintendent of the concern of which his father is president and general manager; Herbert G., who is managing salesman of the company; James H., Jr., who is secretary of the company; Wilma Blanch, who is the wife of Clarence Foote; Harriet Fowler, who makes her home with her parents; and Myron Ralph, who is attending school.  In his religious views Mr. Taylor adheres to the faith of his honored parents, being a member of St. Mark's Episcopal Church, of Toledo, in which he has been a member of the vestry for many years, and was a director during the erection of the present edifice.  In his political adherency, like many of the other substantial business men, he is a republican; and though he takes deep interest and has been influential in civic affairs, he has never aspired to a public career, preferring to devote his undivided attention to his business and domestic affairs.
 Source: Memoirs of Lucas County & City of Toledo - Vol. II - Publ. 1910 - Page 428
  THOMAS A. TAYLOR, deceased, late president and manager of the Northwestern Elevator & Mill Company, was for a number of years one of Toledo's representative business men.  In his long and active career he was connected with various enterprises besides being at the head of the milling industry mentioned, the products of which are known the world over.  He was a man of character and integrity in private and business life and made an enviable reputation for himself during the years he resided in Toledo.  He was born at Loudonville, Ohio, Mar. 6, 1852, and died at his residence, 2228 Robinwood avenue, Toledo, Ohio, July 19, 1905.  His early education was received in the schools of his native place and he was graduated at Rochester University at Granville, Ohio.  Some time in the late seventies he removed to the city of Toledo and in company with his father, A. A. Taylor, became the owner of the old Manhattan Mills in North Toledo.  In 1886 this plant was enlarged and improved, and the company was reorganized under the name of the Northwestern Elevator & Mill Company, and Mr. Taylor was elected president and manager, which position he held up to the time of his death.  He became widely known throughout the country, in grain and milling circles, and during a period of four years he served as vice-president of the Ohio Millers' Insurance Company.  He served as president of the Toledo Produce Exchange in 1895 and as vice president of the same organization a number of terms,  Mr. Taylor was a member of the Ashland Avenue Baptist Church, and in his daily walk and especially in the home circle did he display the characteristics of a true Christian gentleman.  In November, 1881, he was married to Miss Florence Fuller, daughter of Gen. John W. Fuller, and of thsi union were born two children:  John H. and Irene.
 Source: Memoirs of Lucas County & City of Toledo - Vol. II - Publ. 1910 - Page 351

Horace Coleman Thacher
 
  FRANK PIERCE THOMAS, deceased, for many years a prominent figure in railroad circles in Toledo, more latterly as assistant traveling auditor of the Wheeling & Lake Erie road, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, Jan. 24, 1853, and was a well known and influential member of the Oratorio Society of Toledo.  He was the son of Zalman and Harriet (Valentine) Thomas.  The father was a large dealer in lumber in Cincinnati, but later retired and came to Toledo to live, and died there.  His wife also passed away while a resident of this city.  Two children were born to the parents, of whom the elder was the subject of this sketch.  The other is Lyda, the wife of Fred J. Buckwell, of Toledo.  Frank Pierce Thomas took advantage of all the educational opportunities afforded by the Toledo public schools, and completed the high school course.  After his graduation, he accepted a position, he accepted a position as bill clerk in the office of the Wabash railroad, under James Ritchie, doing the work acceptably and efficiently for a number of years.  When he left the employ of the Wabash road it was to accept a position as bookkeeper for the Wheeling & Lake Erie company.  His industry and energy and his careful, business-like methods, soon won him promotion to the position of head clerk in the local office.  Subsequently, he was again honored by the directors of the company with promotion to the position of assistant traveling auditor of the company, and for eight years served as deputy to Samuel Ayres.  Believing that his long years of labor entitled him to a respite, he retired from the company's service and lived quietly until the time of his death, which occurred Mar. 27, 1888.  The funeral, which was held at his home, brought many sorrowing friends to pay their last respects to his memory, before all that was mortal of him was interred in Woodlawn cemetery.  In politics, Mr. Thomas was a Democrat, but in local affairs he supported the men whom he considered best adapted to the position sought.  Mr. Thomas' wife was formerly Miss Anna A. Allen, only daughter of James J. and Susan (Kling) Allen of Fort Wayne, Ind.  Mr. Allen was a native of the Empire State and a direct descendant of Ethan Allen, famous in the history of this country as the captor of Fort Ticonderoga during the war of the Revolution.  James J. Allen was one of the four children born to his parents and the third in order of birth, the others, now all deceased, being George W., a former resident of Rochester, N. Y.; John Frederick, of Louisville, Ky.; and Fannie, who was married and living in Lockwood, Cal., at the time of her death.  James J. Allen came west when a young man and settled in Texas, Ohio, where for a number of years he did contracting work and operated a farm within a short distance of the village.  His death occurred Apr. 9, 1860.  His widow afterward removed to Fort Wayne, Ind., but later came to Toledo, where she lived until death claimed her, July 28, 1898.  Both Mr. and Mrs. Allen were members of the Methodist Episcopal church.  Mr. Allen was a Republican in his political views, but never sought any office of public trust.  Fraternally, he was allied with the Blue Lodge of the Masonic order.  Mr. Thomas now lives quietly retired at *113 Indiana avenue, Toledo, Ohio.
 Source: Memoirs of Lucas County & City of Toledo - Vol. II - Publ. 1910 - Page 641
* Note:  The residence at 113 Indiana Avenue, Toledo, OH is no longer there.
  HARRY BRIDELL THOMPSON, junior member of the law firm of Shunck & Thompson, with offices at 814 Nicholas Building, Toledo, was born at Cadiz, Ohio, Nov. 14, 1868, a son of William G. Thompson, a live stock broker, and Elizabeth (Cortese) Thompson  His paternal grandfather, a native of County Monaghan, Ireland, emigrated to Ohio in an early day, while his grandmother came from Fairfax Court House, Va.  Harry Bridell, of this sketch, attended the public schools of his native town in his early days and graduated at Scio College, Ohio, in 1890, with the degree of Bachelor of Philosophy.  He then taught school in Harrison and Jefferson counties, Ohio, at the same time reading law during his spare moments and, in 1893, received the degree of Bachelor of Law from the Cincinnati Law School.  Immediately after graduation he entered upon the practice of the legal profession at Steubenville, this State, where he remained from June, 1893, to April, 1899, when he came to Toledo and established a partnership with Hugh F. Shunck,under the firm name of Sunck & Thompson, with whom he is still associated.  Mr. Thompson has also been associated with several industrial enterprises, having been connected with the company that constructed the Toledo, Port Clinton & Lakeside railway, and today is secretary of the Sonora Mining & Development Company, the holding company of the Yaqui Smelting & Refining Company, which owns large mining interests and smelter in the district of Ures.  State of Sonora, Mexico.  Though he has not been a seeker of public office, he has city solicitor of Steubenville, from 1895 to 1899.  Fraternally he is admirably affiliated, being a member of the Phi Delta Phi fraternity, the Masonic lodge and the lodge of Elks, having joined the last two named fraternal Organizations in 1894, and the first while in college.  Mr. Thompson is also a member of the Toledo Club and the Yacht Club of the same place, and, though he is not a member of any particular church society, he has a leaning toward the Episcopal denomination, and attends the church of his faith frequently.  He has never take until himself a wife, preferring the single blessedness of bachelorhood to the trials and tribulations of domestic life.
 Source: Memoirs of Lucas County & City of Toledo - Vol. II - Publ. 1910 - Page 180
  HENRY L. THOMPSON is one of Toledo's young and hustling business men, well and favorably known, and the success which he has already achieved is an illustration of what may be accomplished by conscientious endeavor and faithful performance of duty.  Mr. Thompson was born at Perrysburg, Wood county, Ohio, May 28, 1871, and he is the son of James W. and Sarah (Lawrence) Thompson, both of whom were also born in Perrysburg.  The father died at that place, when a young man, the date of his demise being Dec. 24, 1879, and the mother is now a resident of the city of Toledo.E  There were two children born to these parents, a son who is the subject of this review, and a daughter who is the wife of J. V. Davison and resides at No. 448 West Woodruff street, Toledo.  She was also born in Perrysburg and was educated there, being graduated in the high school of that place with the class of 1892.  Henry L. Thompson was educated in the schools of Perrysburg, and early in life recognized the fact that he must depend upon his own exertions and become the architect of his own fortune.  On Apr. 1, 1890, when scarce nineteen years of age, he entered the employ of the Bostwick-Braun Company, at Toledo, and his duties where those comprehended by the term "office boy."  As is usual in such cases, he was given the custody of the broom, and his skillful handling of that utensil and the faithful performance of other duties assigned him soon led to his promotion to positions of greater responsibility.  Successively and successfully he passed through the different grades until he became vice-president of the company, which office he is now the incumbent of, and in addition to his interest in the Bostwick-Braun Company, he a director in the Toledo Plate and Window Glass Company.  The Bostwick-Braun Company was established in 1855, was incorporated in 1893, and deals in hardware, iron, steel, metals and tin plate, and in railway and factory supplies.  Mr. Thompson's interest and activity in commercial affairs is evidenced by the fact that he is a trustee of the Chamber of Commerce of Toledo, and socially he is a member of the Toledo Club, the Country Club, the Yacht Club, and the Masonic Club.  He has taken the various degrees in the Masonic order, and had reached the Thirty-second when but twenty-eight years old.  His Blue Lodge membership is with the Sanford Collins lodge, in Toledo, and he also has membership in the Zenobia Shrine.  In politics, Mr. Thompson takes an independent position, claiming allegiance to no party organization, but he takes an intelligent interest in public affairs and votes for the men and measures that meet his conscientious approval after an unbiased consideration of the subjects in issue.  On June 14, 1900, Mr. Thompson was married to Miss Kate E. Stone, daughter of S. E. Stone, of Cleveland, Ohio.  Mrs. Thompson was born, reared, and educated in the Forest City, and is a graduate of Miss Middleburger's school, at Cleveland, Toledo.
 Source: Memoirs of Lucas County & City of Toledo - Vol. II - Publ. 1910 - Page 47

Doria Tracy
DORIA TRACY was for more than a third of a century one of the most prominent citizens of Toledo, where he was extensively engaged in various lines of business, and his success was due to methods which were entirely above reproach.  Mr. Tracy was born at Richmond, Berkshire county, Massachusetts, May 18, 1808, and he spent his boyhood days upon a farm, receiving his education and training in the common schools and at an academy near his birthplace.  He remained upon the home farm until he had reached the age of eighteen years, at which time he became apprenticed to the spinner's and weaver's trade, which occupation he followed for about five years.  He then engaged in the mercantile business at Pittsfield, Mass., but after a time sold his interest there and removed to the State of New York, where he engaged in farming and manufacturing from 1844 to 1850.  He then established his residence in Allegheny county, New York, where he built a saw mill, and then he engaged in the lumber business continuously until 1867.  In the last named year he removed west and took up his residence in the city of Toledo, where he engaged quite extensively in caring for and promoting his various business interests.  In this general line of endeavor he achieved commendable success, and for the ensuing thirty-six years was recognized as one of the city's leading men of affairs.  He came into the possession of many valuable properties, among which may be mentioned the Aldine Hotel, the buildings occupied by J. Melvin & Co. and S. H. Knox & Co., and one of the buildings occupied by the Lamson Brothers.  In his political views he was a stanch supporter of the men and measures of the Republican party, but never aspired to public office, and was content to do his duty as a private citizen in the every-day walks of life.  Mr. Tracy was twice married, first in 1832, to Miss Lucretia Hatch, who died in 1836.  The second marriage was to Miss Almaria Nichols, who died in 1869.  Mr. Tracy died Mar. 8, 1903, and his remains were interred in Woodlawn cemetery.  He was survived by three sons - Henry, Frank E. and William N. - and also by one daughter, Katharine, who is the wife of Julius G. Lamson, of Toledo.  The death of the eldest son, Henry, occurred Jan. 19, 1904, and a sketch of him appears elsewhere in this work.
 Source: Memoirs of Lucas County & City of Toledo - Vol. II - Publ. 1910 - Page 578
  FRANCIS EDWIN TRACY, for many years a prominent figure in the commercial circles of Lucas county, is a native of the old Bay State, having been born in the beautiful city of Pittsfield, Berkshire county, Massachusetts, May 26, 1842.  He is of a highly honorable English ancestry, being descended on his father's side from King Ethelred, one of the early British sovereigns, and other of the earlier members of the English nobility.  One of the first representatives of the Tracy family in America was Gov. William Tracy, who, in 1620, accompanied by his wife, Mary (Conway) Tracy, emigrated from their home in England to Virginia, where for many years he was a prominent figure in commercial and political circles and for a short time was Colonial governor.  In later years other members of the family settled in Massachusetts, and there many of the progenitors of the subject of this review were born and spent their entire lives.  Francis Edwin Tracy is a son of Doria and Almaria (Nichols) Tracy, the former of whom was born in Pittsfield, Berkshire county, Massachusetts, May 18, 1808, and the latter in the little village of Richmond, in the same county, Apr. 15, 1815.  In the fall of 1853, when Francis Edwin of this sketch was but a few months old, Doria Tracy removed with his family to Monroe county, New York, establishing his residence in the immediate vicinity of the city of Rochester, where for the ensuing eight years he was engaged in the manufacture of staves and land plaster, after which he embarked in the lumber business.  Francis Edwin Tracy acquired his educational training in the public schools of Livingston, New York, and in academies in the State of New York and in Franklin county, Massachusetts.  He then associated himself with his father in the lumber business, in Allegany county, New York, where he remained until 1867, when, with the other members of his father's family, he came to Toledo.  With his father and his brother Henry, he erected a saw mill on the east bank of the Maumee river.  The two brothers formed a partnership and operated the saw mill under the firm title of Tracy brothers, and which was the first concern of importance to be established in East Toledo.  They constructed the large Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton Railroad Company docks on the Maumee river, in the immediate vicinity of their sawmill.  It required great industry and perseverance to succeed in those days, but being possessed of exceptional ability, business tact and shrewdness, the Tracy Brothers soon placed their lumber business on a sound basis, and advancing step by step with the general growth of Toledo and vicinity, rapidly attained to a leading position among the industrial concerns of the city and county.  The business was continued until 1899, when, because of the great scarcity of raw timber, it was dissolved.  The immediate subject of this sketch then embarked in the brick manufacture business, in which he was actively engaged up to about two years ago, when he retired from active work, though a portion of his time and attention are taken up in looking after his real estate interests.  In politics Mr. Tracy is a stanch and earnest adherent of the "Grand Old Party," and though not an officer seeker in the usual understanding of that term, he was for several years a member of the board of trustees of the Natural Gas Plant of the City of Toledo.  For many years he has been a communicant in the First Congregational church of Toledo, in the affairs of which he has been an active participant, being a member of the board of deacons at the present time.  Mr. Tracy was married, June 6, 1866, to Miss Mary Emily Orton who was born in Cuba, Allegany county, New York, July 4, 1847, and is a daughter of Horatio and Sarah (Carson) Orton, of Alleghany county, New York, where Mr. Orton was a prominent farmer.  To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Tracy have been born six children:  James Frank, who was born Nov. Nov. 2, 1867, is married to Maud Hunter Kirk, daughter of Maj. Ezra and Mary Kirk, and is the cashier of the People's Savings Association of Toledo - he is the father of two children, Mary and Frank; Thomas Orton, born June 25, 1873, married Jeanette Bishop, of Paw Paw, Van Buren county, Michigan, later went to Grand Rapids, Mich., where he engaged in the manufacture of dental supplies, after which he returned to Toledo and became vice-president of the Ransom & Randolph Company; Martha Orton, born Dec. 31, 1870, was a teacher in the Manual Training School in Toledo for several years; Frederick Doria, born Nov. 25, 1875, is the husband of Grace Horton of Bluffton, Wells county, Indiana, and is now superintendent of the Eastern Oil Company of Buffalo, New York; Katherine Mary born Aug. 20, 1879, and married to Edwin C. Law, of Toledo, in November, 1909, was a teacher in the kindergarten in the Illinois school; and Ralph Woodruff, who was born Apr. 7, 1882, died July 6, 1896.  Mr. Tracy, to whom this review is dedicated, has a sister living in Toledo - Mrs. Katherine Lampson, who was born Jan. 4, 1855.  Of his brothers, William N., who was born May 11, 1846, died in August, 1910, and Henry, who was a member of the former firm of Tracy Brothers, passed away in 1905.  The father, Doria Tracy, went to his reward, Jan. 19, 1904.
 Source: Memoirs of Lucas County & City of Toledo - Vol. II - Publ. 1910 - Page 447

Commodore Henry Tracy
COMMODORE HENRY TRACY, deceased, who passed from earth at his residence in the city of Toledo, Jan. 19, 1904, was well known in the business circles of the city.  He was the eldest son of Doria Tracy, of Ohio, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this volume.  Years ago, Commodore Tracy was associated with his brother in the lumber business, conducting what was known as the Tracy Bros.' saw mill, located near the site of the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton railway elevator.  Later, he engaged for a time in the shoe business, and still later he had an establishment on Water street, where he dealt extensively in shippers' supplies.  He was a man of honor and usefulness in the community, and his business success was attained through his own well directed efforts.  Commodore Tracy was, at the time of his death, one of the oldest yachtsmen on the lake, having takes a great interest in that branch of sportsmanship from early manhood.  He was one of the incorporators of the old Ohio Yacht Club, and when that organization was merged into the Toledo Yachting Association, he stayed with the association and afterward became very active in its management, serving as one of the directors for many years.  During the year 1903, he served the Inter-Lake Yachting Association as its commodore, and his staunch yacht, Dolomite, was the flag-ship from which was dispensed hospitality, upon the occasion of the annual meet at Put-in-Bay, in the summer of that year.  His widow, Mrs. Elizabeth Tracy, and a daughter, Mrs. V. W. Granger, Jr., are the only members surviving of his immediate family.  Mrs. Tracy continues to reside in the pleasant residence at 913 Superior street.
 Source: Memoirs of Lucas County & City of Toledo - Vol. II - Publ. 1910 - Page 105

.

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
LUCAS COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights

.