A Part of Genealogy Express
Welcome to
Lake County, Ohio
History & Genealogy

Revolutionary Soldiers
Buried in Lake County, Ohio


JOHN ABEL, 1756 - 1836
     "Died in Perry, Lake Co., Ohio on Friday the 23rd of Dec. 1836, Mr. John Abel, a Revolutionary Soldier, in the 80th year of his age.
     He rose in the morning in good health, ate a hearty breakfast, and went out and cut a stick of wood at the door; went in and sat down, and while caressing a little grandchild who was playing around him, swooned away and died instantly."
     He enlisted in the Revolutionary War from Sharon, Conn., in June, 1777, for three months, under Capt. Jonathan Penoyer; Oct. 1st for one month, with Capt. Ephraim Meriner; Dec. 1788, three months with Capt. Amos Chapel; and again in July 1779, for three months, under Col. Lawrence.
His rank was that of Corporal, and as such he received a pension under the act of 1832.
     He lies in Perry Cemetery.

SHARON WICK'S NOTE:   Per email from bundydos@gmail.com (Holly)
CORP. JOHN ABEL is buried in "Abel-Boyd" Perry Twp. Cem., Painesville, Lake, OH; Lot Section 1, Grave 7, Lot 7, Row 25.   John's name is on NE side of monument. The names of son, Datus, and others on other side. Marker placed by DAR New CT Chapter.

STEPHEN AMES, 1748 - 1825
     Stephen Ames was one of the early settlers of Kirtland township, coming in 1815 from Hollis, New Hampshire.
     He was at one time one of the selectmen of Hollis.  He enlisted in the Revolutionary War in n1778 for three years or the war, in Col. Cilly's regiment.  In 1818 the first township election in Kirtland was held at the home of Stephen Ames (one mile south of Temple) on Jan. 5th.  Mr. Ames was elected treasurer, which office he held several years.
     His son Jeremiah was made constable.  He died Nov. 2, 1825; his widow Jan. 4, 1832.  They are buried in South Kirtland, though no stones mark the spot.
     He received a pension.
SILAS ANTISEL, 1749 - 1817
     Silas Antisel (Antisdel, A. Tisdel, Tisdel) son of Lawrence Antisel and Mary Armstrong, was born in Norwich, Conn. in 1749.  He was married at Willington, Conn. to Maria Bethiah Curtis, May 4, 1775.  from Willington he served in the Lexington Alarm, in the Revolutionary War, in Capt. Heath's company in April 1775, his brother Peres enlisting from Ludlow, Mass., in Capt. Isaac Colton's company, Col. David Brewer's regt., in 1775.  The children of Silas and Bethiah Antisel were Curtis, Thomas, Peres, Lawrence, Silas, Thankful, Sarah, Hannah, Betsey and Bethiah.
SILAS BAILEY, 1754 - 1845.
     Col. Silas Bailey, born in Mass. in 1754, died in Perry, Lake Co., Ohio, July 9, 1845, aged ninety-one years.
     "Silas Bailey was a private in Capt. Artemas How's company, which marched on the alarm of April 19, 1775; service, twenty-four days.  Also served under Capt. Jonathan Houghton during Oct. and Nov. 1776.
     He was second lieutenant in Capt. Jonathan Marion's company, Col. Josiah Whitney's regiment."
     Silas Bailey appears in the list of officers of the Mass. militia, commissioned June 17, 1779.  He is buried in Perry cemetery, and is remembered here as the father of Rev. Jacob Bailey, a Baptist clergy an of pioneer days.
DANIEL BARTRAM, 1745 - 1817.
     Daniel Bartram was born in Fairfield, Conn., Oct. 23, 1745.  In 1777 he enlisted as a private in Capt. Hull's company, Col. Stearns' regiment, Conn. militia.  He saw active service in  defense of Danbury against the raids of the British.
     Daniel Bartman moved to Madison, Ohio, in May 1809, where he resided until his death, May 17, 1817.  He was buried in the burying ground at Unionville, near the church.  Soon after, the church was burned, and it was found impossible to locate his grave.  A stone was erected to his memory in the Middle Ridge burying ground, where lie the remains of his wife and many of his descendants.
     Contributed by Ida A. Mills, great-grand daughter of Daniel Bartram.
EZRA BEEBE, 1737 - 1813.
     Ezra Beebe, it is said by some, was the first settler in Perry township, the honor being divided between him and Thomas L. Wright.
     He died Jan. 15, 1813, aged seventy-six years.  He enlisted in the 1st Regiment, New York line, under col. Goose Van Schaik, in the Revolutionary War.
     He was the first adult buried in Perry township, and now lies in the Town Cemetery.
WILLIAM BIDWELL, 1767 - 1831
     William Bidwell, Sr., joined the 8th Conn. Regt. in 1782 under Capt. Joseph Jewett and Col. Jedediah Huntington.  His regiment protected the Boston camps and took part at Roxbury.
     For nearly eighty years the Bidwell family was identified with the history of Lake Co.   Wm. Bidwell with his wife and family of six children, came from their home in Farmington, Conn. in 1820 and settled on the Middle Ridge in Madison, which place was the Bidwell homestead for half a century.
     Noah Porter, afterward President of Yale College, was their pastor and friend in Conn., and he exercised a great influence upon the trend of their lives, for two of the sons Walter and Oliver went back and graduated at Yale, studying for the ministry.
     Walter H. Bidwell edited at different times "The Independent" and "The New York Evangelist."  The Eclectic Magazine was founded by him.  He was a traveller of note, and his book "Imperial Courts," was written after his presentation at the courts of Europe.
     The other son, Wm. Bidwell, Jr., remained on the farm, and was the main stay of the family, a good husband and father, honorable in all things.  Of such stock was Connecticut's contribution to the foundations of good citizenship laid by the pioneers of the Western Reserve.
     Two of the grandsons of the Wm. Bidwell, who served in the Revolutionary War, were in the War of the Rebellion serving throughout the entire war.
     Dr. Theodore S. Bidwell was surgeon of the 125th Regt. of Ohio Infantry, and Walter H. Bidwell was a bugler in Battery C, 1st Ohio Light Artillery.
     Wm. Bidwell, Sr., died in 1831, and sleeps in the Middle Ridge Cemetery in Madison, near his home.
     Contributed by Helen Bidwell Hoag.
     Benjamin Bissell enlisted in the Revolutionary War from Lebanon, Conn. in 1778 or 1779 in Capt. Bliss' Company, Col. Ledyard's Regiment for three months' again in 1781 for nine months in Capt. Munson's Company, Col. Zebulan Butler's Regiment, Connecticut Troops.
     Benj. Bissell was born at Lebanon, Conn., Mar. 31, 1761.
     At the same place he married Elizabeth Heath in 1784, and later removed to New York, spending the larger part of their lives at Hartrick, where they raised a family of eleven children.
     In 1832 Mr. and Mrs. Bissell were with a daughter at Burlington, N. Y., from which place he applied for a pension which was granted him.  Later they came to Painesville, Ohio, to spend their remaining years with their son Judge Benjamin Bissell, where Benjamin Bissell, Sr. died Oct. 1, 1841, and his wife Elizabeth, Feb. 24, 1851, aged eighty-nine years.  Both are buried in Evergreen Cemetery.
     Benjamin Bissell
was a cousin of Gov. Clark Bissell of Conn., and his son Judge Benjamin Bissell was State Senator from Painesville in the years 1839-40.
BENJAMIN BLISH, 1753 - 1825.
     Tolland Co., Conn., was the birthplace of Benjamin Blish, Feb. 22, 1753.
     In 1774 he married Phebe Skinner, sister of Capt. Abraham Skinner of Painesville.  He served as a private in the Revolutionary War, one month and nineteen days, in Capt. Micah Hamlen's Co., Col. Thomas Marshall's regt. from June 13, 1776, to Aug. 1, 1776; also twenty-five days, from Aug. 1, to Aug. 26 at Castle Island; also thirty-one days in Capt. Sylvanus Martin's Co., Col. Williams' regt., from Sept. 29 to Oct. 30, 1777, in Rhode Island; and again at an alarm at the same place for six days under Capt. Israel Hicks, Col. Thomas Carpenter's regt., from Aug. 1 to Aug. 6, 1780.
     About 1780 he moved to his family to Middlefield, Hampshire Co., Mass., where they resided till they left for Ohio in Feb. 1804, with his brother-in-law, Capt. Skinner.  They traveled on the snow to Buffalo, and on the ice of the Lake the latter part of the way.  He bought land and made some preparations for removing his family, returning in the fall to Massachusetts.
     On the 20th day of June,  1805, he started with his family to Ohio.  Leaving his oldest daughter, the wife of Orris Clapp, his family consisted of himself and wife, six daughters and two sons, aged 21 and 12 years.  At first their journey was prosperous, but in passing through New York state, the father was taken through New York state, the father was taken sick with the ague, the roads grew very bad; after leaving Buffalo they found great difficulty in obtaining food for man or beast.
     They traveled by short stages on the beach of the Lake, sometimes felling a basswood tree, and browsing the horses upon the leaves.
     They reached Erie July 16, the horses badly worn and unfit for further use.  Here they made an argument with a man named Ross to bring the family and stuff to Fairport in his boat, in exchange for one wagon.  The two boys pushed on with the horses and two dogs, enduring many hardships, before they reached the home of Capt. Skinner on Grand river, shortly before noon on July 20.  They had no weapon of defense larger than a pocket knife.
     The family were on the way forty-one days, in jeopardy form winds and waves, sometimes a part of them carried ashore by one of the boating men in his arms, then walking for miles through woods or on the sand, not knowing the fate of the others, till through the guidance of a kind Providence they all reached Painesville safely, July 30.
     They went into one room of a log house with Esq. Merry until their own house was completed in Dec. 1805, on land yet known as the Blish farm, in Mentor.  There lived for twenty years Benjamin Blish, rejoicing, even amidst the privations incident to a new settlement, that he had placed his children in a more desirable location than the Green mountains of Massachusetts, where his entire life and had been one of severe labor and close economy, with no better outlook for them.  He died March 11, 1825, aged 72 years.  His wife died Oct. 5, 1844, at 91.  They are both buried in the Blish Cemetery in West Painesville.
WILLIAM BRANCH, 1760- 1849.
     William Branch was born in Preston, Conn., Sept. 3, 1760.  In the fall of 1776 when but sixteen years of age, he enlisted and was sent to old Fort Trumbull, where he remained until the following spring, when he was placed under the command of Capt. Leffingwell, to go to Rhode Island, but as his enlistment was opposed by his family on account of his youth, he was sent back to Norwich.
     The lad, however, was determined, and on April 1, 1777 he enlisted in Gen. Washington's army under Capt. Jedediah Hyde, Col. John Durkee's regt.
     He was engaged in the following battles, viz.: Germantown, Oct. 4, 1777; Red Bank, Monmouth, June 28, 1778; Fort Mifflin, Nov. 17,


GARRIT BRASS, 1763 - 1837.
     Garrit Brass enlisted for the Revolutionary War from Westfield, Mass. early in 1781, and served until Dec. 21, 1783, as a Private in Capt. Banister's Company, Col. Newel's regt.; also in Capt. Smith's Company under Col. Vose, in the Massachusetts Troops.
     He married Lucy Matthews on Apr. 19, 1791.
     He applied for a pension June 14, 1828 at which time he lived in Mentor, Lake Co., Ohio, where he died (or was burned in his log cabin) Nov. 25, 1837.
     Old residents who remember the death think he was buried on school property long since vacated as a burial ground.
     His widow received a pension also.
OLIVER BROWN, 1760 - 1845.
     Oliver Brown, son of Zebulon Brown, was born at Stonington Point, Conn., in 1760.
     May 26, 1777, at the age of seventeen he enlisted in the Revolutionary War for one year, under Capt. Eldridge; was discharged Jan. 12, 1778.  Re-enlisting July 1, 1750, he was in service until Nov. 22, 1780.
     He served with his regiment about New York, New Jersey, and Eastern Pennsylvania, and was in the battles of Brandywine and Germantown, and endured the hardships of Valley Forge.  He was wounded in battle, and was guard over Major Andre for one "watch," on the night previous to the spy's execution, on Oct. 2, 1780.  One night he halted Gen. Washington returning to Camp without the proper countersign, and marched him to the guard-house, for which he was praised by the General.
     In 1780 he married Mrs. Gracie Welch, and lived some time at Norwich, Conn.
     His children were Oliver, Hosea, Dauphin, and Lewis, Hannah (Bliss), Nabby (Searls), and Patience (Holcomb).
The early summer of 1818 found Oliver Brown with his family located on military lands in Concord, Geauga Co., (now Lake) in Ohio, after a perilous journey with ox teams across swollen rivers, through an unbroken wilderness, ready to prepare a home in the far west.  Mrs. Brown died in 1832; later he married Mrs. Beardsley who died in 1840.  Again he married a Mrs. Hannah Perkins, who was left a widow by his death, June 5, 1845.
     He was buried with military honors, and lies in the cemetery at Concord Center.  He received a pension.
WILLIAM CAHOON, 1765 - 1828.
     William Cahoon served his country in her struggle for freedom in the Massachusetts line, enlisting Oct. 11, 1781, under Capt. Samuel Sloan, in the regiment of Col. Asa Barnes, from Berkshire county.
     He marched by order of Gen. Stark to Saratoga on an alarm.
     He died in Kirtland, Oct. 1, 1828, aged sixty-three years, and is buried in Kirtland cemetery.
of Vermont, was in Capt. John Benjamin's company of militia, under the command of Col. Joseph Marsh, from Aug. 16, to Oct. 4, 1777.
     He was also in the scouting party from Woodstock in the year 1777.  He was called out on an alarm from March 9 to 12, with Capt. Jesse Safford's company of militia.  His name was on the roll of men appointed by the committee of safety of the towns of Hartford, Lebanon and Woodstock, who watched and guarded suspected persons, as enemies to the United States of America.
     He was also in Zebulon Lyon's company, employed in guarding the committee of safety to Windsor, and Col. Stone and others to Springfield, service all in Windsor county, Vermont.
     He removed from Vermont to Perry, Ohio, in 1815, and is buried in the South Ridge burying ground in West Madison.  His son, Rufus Call, was in the war of 1812.
     John Campbell, a soldier in the Revolutionary war, served in the New York state troops.
     He was a pensioner in Cuyahoga county until 1840, when Willoughby township was made a part of Lake county.  At that time he lived with his son James, in Willoughby.
     He was an early settler of Willoughby, being a prominent man there for many years, and has many descendants in Ohio.
     It is a matter of doubt whether he died in Willoughby or while visiting in New York.
WILLIAM CARD, 1753 - 1820.
     William Card (grandfather of Jonathan Card) died in 1820 and is buried in Willoughby Cemetery.
     "William Card was commissioned master of "The Schooner Phoenix' bound for Cape Francois."
     "Boston, Mass. Nov. 21, 1776.  By a petition to the council, signed by Dr. Card, in behalf of Daniel Pierce and Aaron Malady, owners of the Phoenix, said vessel was ordered for service in the Revolutionary War."
EZRA CARPENTER, 1764 - 1849
     Ezra Carpenter died Aug. 7, 1849, aged eighty-four years, eleven months, and twenty-eight days, and sleeps in Kirtland Cemetery.
     His service in the Revolutionary War was at an alarm Rhode Island, Dec. 8, 1781, under Capt. Jacob Ide, commanded by Col. Daggett.
JABEZ CARTER, 1750 - 1836.
     A soldier of the Revolution, Jabez Carter died in Kirtland, Lake County, Ohio, Aug. 12, 1836, in his eighty-seventh year.
     He lies in Kirtland cemetery were sleep several of his comrades.
     He enlisted in Capt. John Walton's company, Col. David Green's regiment; was in the Lexington Alarm, and served his country until March 10, 1780, when he received his discharge.
TRACY CLEVELAND, 1749 - 1836.
     Tracy Cleveland was born in Canterbury, Connecticut, in 1749, and died in Ohio, Feb. 27, 1836.  Had he lived until May 8th he would have been eighty-eight years old.  He was buried on the Harmon farm in Kirtland, Lake Co., Ohio.
     In "Connecticut men in the Revolution" is the following service of Tracy Cleveland: A private in Capt. Bacon's company, Sixth Battalion, Wadsworth's Brigade, Col. John Chester commanding the battalion in 1776.
     "This Battalion was raised in June to reinforce Washington in New York; was stationed at Flat Bush Pass on Long Island, Aug. 26; and engaged in the battle of the following day; narrowly escaped capture in retreat from New York, and engaged at White Plains, Oct. 28.
     "Was in New Jersey at the time of the battle of Trenton."
     For his services he received a pension under the Act of 1832.
     His wife, Phebe, died Nov. 5, 1829, in her seventy-seventh year, and lies by his side.
     Christopher Colson was born at Weymouth, Mass., May 10, 1765.  He enlisted in the Revolutionary War July 9, 1781, at the age of sixteen and continued in service as fifer throughout the remainder of the war.
     He served in Capt. Peter Claye's and Capt. J. K. Smith's companies under the command of Lieut. Col. Calvin Smith, 6th Mass. regt.
     He was twice married, and with his second wife, came to Chagrin or Willoughby, Ohio, in 1810.
     He was Willoughby's first postmaster, and walked to Washington, to secure his appointment.
ROGER CRAINE, 1762 - 1841.
     Roger Craine was born in Mansfield, Conn., May 4, 1762.  He enlisted in the Revolutionary War from Medway, Mass., in May 1781, and served until Dec. 1783 as private under Capt. John Fuller and Col. Shepherd, and was in the battle at White Plains.
     He married Sarah Whiton May 20, 1784 at Ashford, Conn.  Their children were Abigail, Cyrus, Ahira, Eleazer, Tower, Horace, Avin, Samuel, Alexis and Ruth.
     They were living in Groton, N. Y. in May 1818, when he applied for a pension which he received.
     Later they removed to Painesville, Ohio, where he died June 3, 1841 and in 1857 was removed to the cemetery in Mentor, Ohio.
     This story is told by his descendants:
     "Grandfather Craine had repeatedly refused to sign the temperance pledge, saying, he was not a drinking man, and didn't care to sign away his liberty.  One training day an old drunkard cried out, 'Here comes Roger Craine, he is one of our set, for he will not sign his liberty away either!"  Grandfather signed the pledge that day."
     Amariah Crandall was born at Westerly, R. I., Apr. 2, 1759.
     He enlisted from Stonington, Ct., Apr. 1, 1779, for one year, under Capt. Sheffield, enlisting again in June 1780, for two months, under Capt. Elijah Palmer, and Lieut. Col. Richards.
During an engagement he was taken prisoner by the British, and sent on board the prison-ship Halifax, where he with others had smallpox.
     He resided after the war in Willington, Conn. from which place he applied for a pension Aug. 18, 1832, which was allowed.
     He married Prudence Avery of Conn.  Their children were Elijah, Elisha, Sarah and Daniel.
He with his wife came to Ohio in 1820 to live with their son Daniel where they lived to a rip old age, he being 101 years, 9 months, and 16 days.
     His favorite pastime was telling his grandchildren Revolutionary War stories of Washington and Lafayette, whom he loved.
     The family keep with great care his old bayonet.
     He died Jan. 18, 1861, and lies in the Middle Ridge Cemetery in Madison, Lake Co., Ohio.
     Christopher Crary was born in New London, Conn. in 1759.
     He was the grand-son of Oliver Crary who was a native of Connecticut.  His great-grandfather was Robert Crary, who was a son of Peter Crary who emigrated from England to America when Charles II ascended the throne.
     Christopher Crary was a soldier in the Revolutionary War.  He was twice taken prisoner; the first time he escaped from the Halifax prison, the second time, he was imprisoned on the British prison-ship Jersey, but was finally liberated.
     He was in the marine service.  After the war he became a merchant, then a farmer, and exchanged his farm for land in Kirtland township.
     He was the first actual settler in Kirtland; his neighbors were seven miles apart.
     In 1837 he moved to Union Co., Ohio, living there until his death, which occurred in 1848 at the age of eighty-eight years.


This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights