.



OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

 

Welcome to
Knox County,
Ohio

Biographies

A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - IJ - K - L - M - N - O - PQ - R - S - T - UV - W - XYZ

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >

  ROBERT D. DARLING, Wayne twp., post office, Fredericktown; born in Wayne township, this county, in 1845, and was married in 1870 to Clotilda Lyon, who was born in Wayne twp., this county, in 1846.  They have four children, Nellie, born in 1871; Frank, in 1875; Nina, in 1877; and Willie, in 1879.  Mr. Darling is a farmer by occupation, and has always lived in this county.
  JACOB DAVIS, Monroe township, was born near Hagerstown, Maryland, Apr. 4, 1800, and came to Mt. Vernon, Knox county, with his father, Henry Davis, in 1815.  He married Elizabeth Downs, daughter of George Downs, of Knox county, April 3, 1827, and moved to Monroe township, wher ehe purchased land and erected a saw-mill on Schenck's creek in 1828.  Shortly afterwards he erected a grist-mill and added a fulling-mill and carding machine.  Being an enterprising business man he not only ran his own mill but owned an interest in the Monroe mills, Gilcrest's mills and Shamon's mills.  Mr. Davis died Sept. 12, 1837, and was buried in St. John's Evangelical Lutheran cemetery, the ground for which was donated by him.  He was the father of nine children, of whom James Woodbridge David was the youngest.  He was born June 9, 1849, at the old homestead on Schenck's cree, and reared on the farm.  He married Jennie Daymude, daughter of William Daymude, of Monroe township, Dec. 14, 1876, and has two children, Elmer S. and Herman.
 SOURCE: History of Knox County, Ohio - Mt. Vernon, Ohio: A.A. Graham & Co., 1881 - Page 648
  JAMES W. DAVIS.  This name is one known throughout Knox county, for here Mr. Davis has passed his whole life and here his parents lived for many decades.  He was born in Monroe township, June 9, 1849, a son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Downs) Davis.  The father was born near Hagerstown, Maryland, on the 4th April, 1800, and died on the 12th of September, 1857.  He was a son of Henry and Christina (Swope) Davis.  The former was born in Germany, and there learned the tailor's trade, but when a young man he left the home and friends of his youth and came to the United States, locating in Maryland.  In later life he engaged in the milling business, owning flour mills on the Potomac river.  In 1808 he made his way to the Buckeye state, locating in Knox county, and a short time afterward he was here joined by his wife and family, his son Jacob being then a lad of eight years, and they made the journey on horseback.  After his arrival in Knox county Henry Davis opened a flour mill in Mount Vernon, and as the years passed by he became known as one of the prominent and leading business men of the county.
     Jacob Davis, the father of our subject, became his father's assistant after attaining to mature years, and from that time until his twenty-seventh year he had almost entire charge of his father's extensive business interests.  In 1827, after his marriage, he removed to Monroe township, where he was engaged in the milling business on his own account.  Success abundantly rewarded his well-directed efforts and he soon took rank among the leading business men of his locality.  He became the owner of three flouring mills, a carding mill, a woolen factory, where he was extensively engaged in the manufacture of cloth, and also became the owner of about one thousand acres of land, but he latter was taken from him through a partner's loss and by going security for others.  Although not a member of any religious denomination, he was a liberal supporter of all churches, the cause of Christianity ever finding in him a firm friend.  His political support was given to the Democracy, and for many years he held township offices.  Mr. Davis was married in Mount Vernon, Miss Elizabeth Downs becoming his wife.  She was born in Clinton township, Knox county, a daughter of George and Rebecca (Thrift) Downs, both natives of the Old Dominion.  After coming to the Buckeye state the father acquired considerable land in Clinton township, which is now known as the Sperry farm, and also became the owner of six hundred and forty acres in Monroe township.  Mrs. Davis was an excellent business woman, and after her husband's death she succeeded in retrieving many of his lost possessions.  They became the parents, of nine children, five of whom are now living, namely: Catherine, the wife of Silas Young,of Monroe township; Harriet, who makes her home with her sister, Mrs. Young; Margaret, the wife of W. R. Young, also of Monroe township; Christiana, the wife of John McArdle, of Buckeye City, Knox county; and James W., the subject of this review.  The mother of this family passed away in death in September, 1873.
     James W. Davis acquired his early education in the common schools of his locality, and afterward became a student in the Ohio Wesleyan University, entering that institution with the intention of preparing himself for a profession, but after two terms there spent he was called home on account of his brother's sickness.  In accordance with the wish of his mother, he then took up the quiet duties of the farm, which has ever since claimed his time and attention.  After his marriage he located on a tract of one hundred and fifty acres of his present homestead, a part of which was willed to him by his mother, and the remainder he secured by purchasing the interest of the remaining heirs.  In 1882 he also purchased the old home farm of one hundred and thirteen acres, and in addition he owns a tract of seventy-five acres in the northeast corner of Monroe township, all of which is under his immediate supervision.  His home farm is one of the best improved in the township, and the many valuable improvements which now adorn the place stand as monuments to his thrift and ability.  He is very enterprising and progressive in his methods, and his well-directed efforts and unfaltering perseverance have succeeded in winning for him a handsome competence.
     On the 14th of December, 1876, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Davis and Miss Jennie Daymude, a native of Monroe township and a daughter of William Daymude, who was called to his final rest in 1861.  The home of Mr. and Mrs. Davis has been brightened and blessed by the presence of five children, four of whom still survive,- Elmer, a prominent farmer of Monroe township; and Herman, Belle and William at home.  Mr. Davis casts his ballot in favor of the men and measures of the Democratic party, and for over twenty years he has faithfully served his township as clerk.  In his social relations he is a member of Mount Zion Lodge, No. 9, F. & A. M., of Mount Vernon; Clinton Chapter, No. 26, and Clinton Commandery No. 5, also of Mount Vernon; and of the Grange, No. 874. P. of H.
Source: The Biographical Record of Knox County, Ohio - Publ. 1902 ~ Page 266
  JESSE DAVIS, farmer, Liberty township, was born in Cecil county, Maryland, Oct. 16, 1812.  His father, a native of Ireland, emigrated to the United States when quite young.  He served in the War of 1812 under Commodore McDonouth, and received a wound.  He was a man of considerable attainments, taught a select school for some years, and married a Miss Mary Neabb, a native of York county, Pennsylvania.  They had nine sons and one daughter, all of whom are believed to be dead except Jesse Davis, who learned the blacksmith trade, which he followed for some years.
     When about twenty years of age he went to Ohio county, Virginia, where, in April, 1835, he married Rosanna Frazier, who was born in Ohio county, West Virginia, Jan. 9, 1808.  They remained in Virginia until 1850 when they came to their present home.  There were born to these parents four children in Virginia, viz:  Samuel H., Robert F., Mary,and James W., Samuel H., Robert F., Mary, and James W.  Samuel H. and Robert F. enlisted in Company G, Twentieth Ohio Volunteer infantry.  Samuel H. was taken sick and died May 30, 1862.  While sick he was commissioned second lieutenant, but was never mustered.  Robert F. was discharged in the fall of 1863, on account of physical disability.  He is now bookkeeper in the First National bank, of Canton, Illinois.  Mary and James W. are on the farm.
     Mr. Davis was captain of company D, One hundred and Forty-second Ohio National guard.  When the regiment was called out some of the companies were consolidated.  Mr. Davis was transferred to company A, which company he commanded during his enlistment.
SOURCE: History of Knox County, Ohio - Mt. Vernon, Ohio: A.A. Graham & Co., 1881 - Page 648
  MRS. JOANNA DAVIS, Liberty township, was born in Milford township, Nov. 30, 1829.  She is the daughter of Smith Bishop and Mary Ann Jeffries, of whom mention is made in the history of Milford township.  They had a family of eight children, six sons and two daughters, viz: John J., Joanna, the subject of this notice; Henry A., Benjamin F., Gilford D., Allen S., Clark N., and Adaline L., wife of James Ray, who resides near Columbus, Ohio.
     Mr. Bishop died in 1866.  His wife survives him.  Joanna was married to Joseph P. Davis, Nov. 18, 1861.  He was a native of the State of New York, and died in 1877.  They had three children, viz: Anna Mary, born July 10, 1862; Cora Estelle, born Jan. 10, 1866, and Ellen Adaline, born Sept. 26, 1868.  Mrs. Davis is an estimable lady.
SOURCE: History of Knox County, Ohio - Mt. Vernon, Ohio: A.A. Graham & Co., 1881 - Page 648
  JOHN M. DAVIS, farmer, Miller township, was born in Clinton township, Sept. 28, 1853, is the son of George W. and Margaret Davis, nee Morton Mr. Davis spent his youth on his father's farm, and, like farmers' sons generally, he worked during the summer, when old enough, and attended school during the winter.  On the twelfth of January, 1876, he married Miss Lucy W. Baxter, daughters of J. W. Baxter.
     Mr. Davis
is an energetic and enterprising farmer and an estimable citizen.  They have two children, viz: George W. and Daisy M.
SOURCE: History of Knox County, Ohio - Mt. Vernon, Ohio: A.A. Graham & Co., 1881 - Page 648
  JOSEPH S. DAVIS. (Joseph Slocum Davis) By the death of this honorable and upright citizen the community sustained an irreparable loss and was deprived of the presence of one whom it had come to look upon as a benefactor and friend.  Death often removes from our midst those whom we can ill afford to spare, whose lives have been all that is exemplary of the true and thereby really great citizen.  Such a one was Mr. Davis, whose whole career, business, political and social, served as a model to the young and an inspiration to the aged.  He honored the city which honored him with many positions of public trust.  His labors proved of great benefit to the public and by his usefulness he created a memory whose perpetuation does not depend upon brick and stone, but upon the spontaneous and freewill offering of a great and enlightened people. 
     Mr. Davis was born in Pickaway county, Ohio, Nov. 21, 1812, a son of Henry and Avis Davis.  His father was a native of Cornish, New Hampshire, and was married in Wilkesbarre, Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, to Avis Townsend, who was born in that place.  Subsequently they removed to Ohio, locating in Ross county in 1808, while in 1811 they went to Pickaway county and in 1815 took up their abode in Hillsboro, Highland county, where the parents of our subject spent their remaining days.  The father was a merchant of Chillicothe, and through the conduct of his commercial pursuits provided for his family.  He had four sons: Dr. Edwin Davis, of New York city, now deceased; Rev. Werter Rennick Davis, a minister of the Methodist Episcopal church, who spent most of his life in Baldwin City, Kansas, where he was president of the Baldwin University; Dr. William Davis, of Peru, Ohio; and the subject of this review, who was the second in order of birth.  All were students in GAmbier College, in Knox county, were Episcopalians, with the exception of one, in religious faith and all have now passed away. 
     Joseph Slocum Davis, whose name introduces this review, spent his youth in his parents' home and in early life assisted his father in the store.  His preliminary education, acquired n the common schools, was supplemented by a preparatory course in Gambier, Ohio, where he began his studies in 1829.  He afterward entered Kenyon College, in which he was graduated in the class of 1835, and then, having determined to make the practice of law his life work, he began reading in the law office of Benjamin S. Brown, of Mount Vernon.  In 1836-37 he was a student in the Cincinnati Law School and in the latter year was admitted to the bar.  He began practice in connection with Hon. Columbus Delano, but owing to a severe illness was obliged to retire after some years of practice.  An analytical mind, strong reasoning powers and keen intellectuality made him a powerful lawyer at the Knox county bar.  He became identified with journalistic interests in 1848, being the first editor of the Line Whig, which paper advocated the election of General Zachary Taylor as president.  In 1850 he was appointed deputy United States marshal and took the census of Knox county, while in 1849, 1850, 1851, 1866, 1868, 1870 and 1871 he was elected mayor of Mount Vernon.  It is certainly an indication of his ability and the confidence reposed in him that he was several times recalled to the office after retirement therefrom.  His administration was ever practical and progressive.  He supported all measures which he believed would prove of public benefit which were not of an extravagant nature and was always found on the side of reform and improvement.  His labors proved very helpful and acceptable to the city and well did he deserve the honor of being seven times called to be the chief executive of his city.  He was twice elected probate judge of Knox county, his last term expiring in 1861.  In 1864 he was appointed by President Lincoln a paymaster in the army and for a quarter of a century he was a member of the school board of Mount Vernon, acting as its president for nine years.  The cause of education found in him a warm friend and he did all in his power to raise the city.  In 1869 the directors of the Cleveland, Mount Vernon & Delaware Railroad Company elected him secretary and he held that position for quite a number of years.
     Mr. Davis was united in marriage to Miss Sarah Moore, of Connelsville, Pennsylvania, a daughter of Dr. Robert Moore, who came to Ohio at an early day, but afterward returned to Connellsville, following the failure of the Owlcreek Bank.  There he soon died.  His family later again came to Ohio and here his daughter became the wife of Joseph S. Davis.  By the marriage were born four children: Henry who served in the Unionh army during the Civil war as captain of Company H, Twentieth Ohio Regiment, afterward located in Santa Fe, New Mexico.  He was a very prominent Mason and died Jan. 1, 1901, at the age of sixty-four years.  Mary Davis died in 1886.  Rollin H. Davis, the second son, learned the jewelry business with William Brown of Mount Vernon and afterward located in Warren, Pennsylvania, where he conducted a jewelry store until his death.  The daughter, Anna Davis, is now the widow of John W. Hall late of Columbus, Ohio, in which city he owned and edited the Industrial Union.  They had two sons, Rollin Davis and Joseph John, who are now in business in Mount Vernon.  Their mother, Mrs. John W. Hall is now living in this city in her father's old homestead.
     The death of Joseph H. Davis occurred in Mount Vernon in December, 1884, when he was seventy-two years of age and his wife passed away May 3, 1879.  They ranked among the most prominent citizens of Mount Vernon.  Mr. Davis was a man of firm convictions and was prompt and conscientious in the discharge of public and private trusts.  His was a sturdy American character and a stalwart patriotism and he had the strongest attachment for our free institutions and was ever willing to make any personal sacrifice for their preservation.  He was of stern integrity and honesty of purpose and despised all unworthy or questionable means to secure success in any undertaking or for any purpose or to promote his own advancement in any direction, whether political or otherwise.  Not even the tongue of calumny ever uttered a word to the contrary nor did the malevolence of detraction date to assail his good name.
Source: The Biographical Record of Knox County, Ohio - Publ. 1902 ~ Page 67
  JOSEPH SLOCUM DAVIS, Attorney at law and secretary of the Cleveland, Mt. Vernon & Delaware railroad company, Mt. Vernon, was born in Pickaway county, Ohio, Nov. 21, 1812.  He is the third child of Henry and Avice Davis, nee Towne.  His father was born in Cornish, New Hampshire, his mother in Wilkesbarre, Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, where they were married, and came to Ohio in the year 1808, settling in Ross county.  After a residence there of three years they moved into Pickaway county, remained there about four years and then removed to Hillsborough, Highland county, Ohio, where they lived until they died.  The father was engaged in mercantile pursuits.
     The subject of this notice, when not at school, assisted his father in the store.  In 1829 he entered the preparatory school at Gambier and continued two years in that department.  He then entered the freshman class in Kenyon college, passed regularly through the several college classes and graduated in 1835.  He read law with the late Benjamin S. Brown, of Mt. Vernon, and in the winter of 1836-37 attended the Cincinnati law school, and was admitted to the bar in 1837.  He commenced the practice of law in company with the Hon. C. Delano, and continued for several years, abut after a severe attack of pleurisy his health failed to such an extent that he was compelled to retire.
     He was twice elected probate judge of Knox county on the Republican ticket, this last term expiring in 1861.
     In 1849-50-51 he was elected mayor of Mt. Vernon, and again in 1866-68-70 and 71.
     He was the first editor of the True Whig, a newspaper established at Mt. Vernon in 1848, to advocate the election of General Zachariah Taylor to the Presidency of the United States.
     In 1850 he was appointed deputy United States marshal and took the Federal census of Knox county.
     In the winter of 1864-5 he was appointed by President Lincoln paymaster in the United States army - was ordered to Washington city, mustered into the service, and remained there until July after the close of the Rebellion.
     He has always taken a lively interest in the public schools, and has been connected with the city board of education twenty-five years, or since its organization in 1856, is now and has been for the last nine years president of said board.
     In 1869 the directors of the Cleveland, Mt. Vernon & Delaware Railroad company elected him secretary of said company, which position he still holds.
     Mr. Davis is esteemed as a frank, candid man, of scrupulous integrity, modest and retiring in disposition, affable in his manners, reserved in speech, honorable in his dealings, and a reliable friend, but firm and decided in his opinions, prompt and conscientious in the proper discharge of every public or private trust committed to his care.
     Mr. Davis was married to Miss Sarah B. Moore, who was born in Connellsville, Fayette county, Pennsylvania, Mar. 1813, the only daughter of Doctor Robert D. Moore.  They have had four children, two sons and two daughters, all of whom are living.  Captain Henry M. Davis resides at Santa Fe, New Mexico.  Anna C., married to John W. Hall, lives in Washington city.  Mary A. and Rorlin H. are at home.
SOURCE: History of Knox County, Ohio - Mt. Vernon, Ohio: A.A. Graham & Co., 1881 - Page 649
  W. SCOTT DAVIS, farmer, Berlin township; post office, Fredericktown; born in Berlin township in 1852, and was married in 1874 to Mary Morriston, who was born in Wayne township, in 1854.  They have three children:  Robertie Bell, born in 1875; Steward, in 1877; Daisy Dell, in 1878.  Mr. Davis is a farmer, and resides on the old home farm.
SOURCE: History of Knox County, Ohio - Mt. Vernon, Ohio: A.A. Graham & Co., 1881 - Page 648
   
  THOMAS DAVIS, Berlin township, farmer, post office, Fredericktown, born in Loudoun county, Virginia, in 1809; was married to Jane Jenkins, who was born in 1815 in Loudown county, Virginia.  They had six children:  Sarah, born 1838; John in 1840; Martha, in 1841; Eliza, in 1844; Margaret, in 1847; Stephen Taylor, in 1859.
     Mrs. Jane Davis died in 1850.  Mr. Thomas Davis married again, his second marriage being to Elizabeth Baker, who was born in Wayne township, Knox county, in 1820.  They had two children, W. Scott, born in 1852, and Charlotte Ellen, in 1855.
     John Davis was a soldier in the late war.  He enlisted in the One Hundred and Twentieth regiment, and continued in the service until his health failed.  After his health was restored he again enlisted, but was again discharged on account of ill health.  His health improved again, and he again enlisted, and received an honorable discharge at the close of the service.
     Mr. Davis came to Ohio in 1838, and located on a farm in Berlin township, Knox county.  He owns a well improved farm and has been identified with this county for forty-eight years.  He has been a Methodist for fifteen years, and has been a Republican since the organization of the party.
SOURCE: History of Knox County, Ohio - Mt. Vernon, Ohio: A.A. Graham & Co., 1881 - Page 648
   
   
  S. R. DOOLITTLE,  merchant, and son of Philo Doolittle, was born in Fredericktown, this county, in 1838.  In 1865 he came to Gambier, engaged in the mercantile business, and has been actively engaged in that business since that time.  He constantly keeps on hand a full assortment of every thing in his line, such as dry goods, groceries, notions, hardware, agricultural implements, etc.
  CHARLES DOTY, Pike township, farmer, post office, Democracy, born in Stark county, Ohio, in 1823, and was married in 1854 to Ann Tharp, who was born in Wayne county in 1834.  They have two children - Elizabeth and Stanton W.  Mr. Doty came to this county in 1841, first located in Jefferson township and in 1872 came to this township.  He is a farmer, owning a good farm in this township.
  DOWLER, B. F., St. Louis, Missouri, dealer in horses, Nos. 20 and 21 Market street; born in Knox county, Ohio, in 1830, and was married in 1850 to Miss Hannah Ridgers, who was born in Wayne township, this county, in 1830.  They have two children, Adelpha and Freddie.  Mr. Dowler has been quite extensively engaged in buying and shipping horses from this county to eastern States and cities.  He has moved to St. Louis, owns two farms near the city, and still continues shipping horses.
SOURCE: History of Knox County, Ohio - Mt. Vernon, Ohio: A.A. Graham & Co., 1881 ~ Page 655)
  DAVID DUDGEON, farmer and wool-grower, post office Gambier; fourth son of Simon and Nancy Dudgeon, born in Harrison township, Knox county, Apr. 11, 1820.  He received an education, and at the age of twenty-one years he went to Allen county, and remained about five years.  In 1845, when in Allen county, he purchased two hundred acres of land, then came back to Knox county, and then went to farming for his mother.  About a year after returning home he sold his land in Allen county to his brother Thomas, for the sum of nine hundred dollars, and then purchased a share in the home-place, where he continued to remained and farm, purchasing shares in the home farm.  This he continued about eight years, by which time he had become the owner of three hundred and fifty acres.  On Feb. 10, 1848, he was united in marriage with Mary J., a daughter of Asa and Catharine Freeman, born in Knox county, Butler township, Aug. 2, 1831.  Their union resulted in eleven children, viz.: Martha, Eunice, Ann, Lydia, William, Jessie (died May 21, 1863), Andrew, Caroline, Lee, Reuben, and Jane.
    
In April, 1880, he purchased seventy-four acres in Pleasant township, Knox county, at a cost of three thousand seven hundred dollars, which he deeded to his daughter, and which she now occupies.
SOURCE: History of Knox County, Ohio Mt. Vernon, Ohio: A. A. Graham & Co., 1881 ~ Page 656
  MOSES DUDGEON, farmer and stock-raiser, post office Gambier; fourth son of Simon and Nancy Dungeon, born in Harrison township, Knox  county, Jan. 31, 1818, where he was reared and enured to the hardships of a pioneer life.
     The subject of this sketch remained with his father until the age of twenty-six years, when his father gave him a quarter section of land in Allen county, which he owned about three years, when he exchanged it for an interest in the old homestead in Knox county, where he at present resides.
     Dec. 26, 1844, he was united in marriage with Hannah, a daughter of Benjamin and Mary Devare, born in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, where she was reared until at the age of eight years, when her parents both died.  She was then brought to Knox county by Daniel Sawyers, with whom she lived.
     Mr. Dudgeon is at present the owner of two hundred and forty acres of land, and has also held quite a member of offices of trust in said county and township, being county commissioner, justice of the peace, and treasurer.
     The union of Mr. and Mrs. Dudgeon resulted in five children, as follows: Mqarvin, Lyman, Mary, Simon and Angie, who are all living.
SOURCE: History of Knox County, Ohio Mt. Vernon, Ohio: A. A. Graham & Co., 1881 ~ Page 656
   

 

  WILLIAM DUKE, marble cutter, Fredericktown, was born in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, in 1849.  He came to Ohio in 1863.  He commenced the manufacture of gun stocks with Hoover & Fisher, and worked at that business till 1865.  In 1871 he went to Newark, Licking county, and engaged in the manufacture of tombstone.  He was married in Newark in 1874 to Emma J. Sasser, who was born in St. Louis.  They have two children, viz.: Luther James, born Nov. 22, 1874; Cora Mabel, Mar. 17, 1877.  Mr. Duke came to Fredericktown, Apr. 1, 1879, and is engaged with John Getz, in the manufacture of monuments and tombstones.  He is a good mechanic, and an active citizen of the county.
SOURCE: History of Knox County, Ohio Mt. Vernon, Ohio: A. A. Graham & Co., 1881 ~ Page 656
  J. DUN, farmer, Howard township, post office, Howard was born in Wheeling, Virginia.  His father came to this county in the early days of his son's life, and died shortly after.  Mr. Dun has lived all his life in Knox county.  He was married in 1865 and settled in Howard township.  He had five children, two of whom died in infancy, and the other three are still living.
SOURCE: History of Knox County, Ohio Mt. Vernon, Ohio: A.A. Graham & Co., 1881 ~ Page 656
  JAMES DUNCAN, JR., teacher, Fredericktown, was born in Beaver county, Pennsylvania, in 1846; came to Ohio in 1857, and was married in 1871 to Lucy A. Mitchell, who was born in Richland county, Ohio, in 1848.  They have two children - Cloyd, born in 1873, and Bessie, born in 1875.  Mr. Duncan was educated at Washington and Jefferson college.  He is now superintendent of the union schools, of Fredericktown.  He enlisted in the late war as a member of One hundred and Forty-second regiment, Ohio National guard, and served out his time and received an honorable discharge.
SOURCE: History of Knox County, Ohio Mt. Vernon, Ohio: A.A. Graham & Co., 1881 ~ Page 656
  WILLIAM H. DUNCAN, mechanic, Union township; post office, Gann.  He was born Mar. 7, 1829, in Baltimore, Maryland.  At twelve years of age he enlisted in the United States navy, remained five years, and then went to Cincinnati and remained five years.  He then went to the Mexican war and was gone two years.  After being discharged, he went to Cincinnati, and then to Baltimore, then to Mt. Vernon, and worked at his trade eighteen months.  In 1855 he was married to Miss Swats, and settled in Mt. Holly, and remained there until the Rebellion, when he went out with Colonel H. B. Banning One Hundred and Twenty-first Ohio volunteer infantry, and remained until the close of the war.  Since that time he has paid strict attention to the boot and shoe business.  He was married to Miss E. Johnson in 1865, and she only lived about ten years after.  In 1877 he married Miss H. Comstock.  He has the following children:  William, Margaret, Louisa, Margaret, Benjamin, Ira M., Cora Lee, and Lucy Fisher.  His grandchild, Viola Minnie, is living with him.
SOURCE: History of Knox County, Ohio Mt. Vernon, Ohio: A. A. Graham & Co., 1881 ~ Page 656
  PIUS EUGENE DURBIN, who is the representative at Danville of the Refiners Oil Company, is numbered among the energetic young business men of Knox County.  He was born at Mt. Vernon, June 3, 1907, the son of Peter and Mary (Swingle) Durbin.
     Peter Durbin was born in Knox County in 1873 and his wife was born in 1876.  He is widely known as a successful farmer and stockman of Howard Township.  His father, John C. Durbin, was born in Knox County and spent his entire life in this section of the sate.  He is deceased and is buried in the Catholic Cemetery at Danville.  Christopher Swingle maternal grandfather of Pius Eugene Durbin, resides at Danville and is 82 years of age.  To Mr. and Mrs. Peter Durbin were born eight children: Christopher, lives at Chicago, Ill.; Pius Eugene, the subject of this sketch; Ralph, lives at Barberton, Ohio; Walter who is studying for the priesthood, at Springfield, Ky.; Lucy, who attends St. Mary's of the Springs, Columbus; Kenneth, Arthur, and John, all students at Danville High School.
     After his graduation from Danville High School in 1925, Pius Eugene Durbin spent two years at Ohio University.  He began his business career with the Goodrich Rubber Company at Akron, and spent 18 months as mechanical inspector.  Upon his return to Danville he became proprietor of the Refiners Oil Company's local service station.
     On Aug. 5, 1930, Mr. Durbin was united in marriage with Miss Mary C. Gardner, the daughter of John and Josephine (Durbin) Gardner, who are residents of Howard, Ohio.
     Mr. Durbin is affiliated with the Knights of Columbus, Danville.
~ Page 1049
NOTES
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
KNOX COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

This Webpage has been created by Sharon exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights

.