Jackson County was organized March, 1816. The county is rich
in minerals and abounds in coal and iron ore. Jackson, the
county seat, was laid out in 1817. The old Scioto salt works
were among the first worked in Ohio by the whites. Prior to
this period the Indians came some distance to this section to make
salt. When Daniel Boone was a prisoner he spent some
time at the works.
Jackson County is named for Andrew Jackson, a hero of the War of
1812 who was elected President of the United States.
(Picture edited by Sharon Wick)
275 Portsmouth Street
Jackson, OH 45640-1750
Phone: (740) 286-3301
Fax: (740) 286-4061
County Seat: Jackson Year Organized:
1816 Square Miles: