.

.


OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

 

Welcome to Huron County, Ohio

BIOGRAPHIES

CALEB F. JACKSON.  Without invidious distinction, Caleb F. Jackson may be termed the foremost business man of Norwalk from the fact that his interests are most varied as well as extensive.  Starting out in life on a humble financial plane, he has steadily worked his way upward and his careful management, coupled with unfaltering industry and keen discernment, have brought him to the position which he now occupies.  Honored and respected by all there is no resident of Norwalk who fills a more enviable place in the commercial and financial circles of the city.  He was born June 25, 1854, upon the old Jackson farm a mile and a half south of Norwalk, upon the old state road.  His parents were Charles and Alberta (Fitch) Jackson and he is a great-grandson of Colonel Giles Jackson of Birkshire county, Massachusetts, who won fame as a colonel of infantry in the Revolutionary war and as a chief of staff to Major General Gates he penned the article of surrender at Yorktown and Saratoga.  The original articles of convention for the surrender of Burgoyne at Saratoga, Oct. 16, 1877, signed by J. Burgoyne and Horatio Gates, are now in possession of C. F. Jackson at Norwalk, having been inherited by the "second son" for three generations.  Numerous other historical Revolutionary papers of great value are preserved to be handed down to the second son, Thayer Elden Jackson.  Charles Jackson, the father of our subject, was a prominent farmer of Norwalk township, who spent six years of his early manhood in the employ of Shepherd Patrick as a salesman in his general store at Norwalk.  Subsequently, he bought the Jackson farm homestead, which remained in the family for sixty years and his capable management of his business interests, placed him with the substantial agriculturists of Huron county.
     Caleb F. Jackson attended the country school in Norwalk, district No. 3, until he prepared to enter high school in 1868.  He was graduated therefrom in 1871 on the completion of a complete scientific and classical course of study.  He had expected to study medicine, but the death of both parents left him the care of two sisters and a younger brother, a financial burden which made further study in school or college impossible.  At the age of seventeen years, he began work in the dry-goods, grocery and drug store of Wooster & Patrick as "boy of all work," entering their employ on the 13th of November, 1871.  Within, three months, he was made a salesman and promotions followed rapidly.  In 1873, he was head salesman in the drygoods department on a salary of a thousand dollars per year, which at that date was the largest salary paid any salesman in Norwalk - and he was not yet twenty years of age.  In January, 1874, at the age of nineteen and a half years, he formed a copartnership with L. C. Prescott and purchased a drug and grocery store at Flint, Michigan.  The firm of Prescott & Jackson possessed but twelve hundred dollars, but they had energy, determination and perseverance.  They assumed a debt of five thousand dollars and after two years, with all the indebtedness discharged, C. F. Jackson sold his interests to his partner and returned to Norwalk to enter the employ of C. E. Marsh & Company, as salesman and manager of the interests of Mrs. S. P. Pease in the firm.  His next advanced step was made in 1881, when he joined C. E. Marsh in organizing the firm of Marsh & Jackson for the purpose of opening a dry goods and carpet store at No. 11 West Main street.  Great financial success followed this venture for five years and in 1886 Mr. Jackson sold his interests to his partner and went to Minneapolis, Minnesota.  In that growing city, he established the "Jackson Black Goods Store" which became known throughout the northwest as specializing in every known article of dry goods, black or white.  Mr. Jackson  was sole owner of the Minneapolis business and in seven years, had sufficient capital to warrant the stocking of a department store, which he could foresee that at early date, was the coming mercantile establishment of this country.
     In the winter of 1892-3 Mr. Jackson, in partnership with H. H. Hoyt of Norwalk, purchased from the First Methodist Episcopal church of this city, their church property at the corner of Main street and Benedict avenue.  In May 1893, the old church was demolished to make room for the beautiful five-story brick and brown zone building known as The Glass Block.  The building when complete, was leased to the Hoyt & Jackson Company, a corporation of which C. F. Jackson was the president, for a department store and was opened to the public Nov. 29, 1893.  This marked the beginning of a new era in mercantile affairs in Norwalk.  In that day the department store and was opened to the public November 29, 1893.  This marked the beginning of a new era in mercantile affairs in Norwalk.  In that day the department store was untried, except in the large cities and in Norwalk it was looked upon as a venturesome undertaking, which would probably result in failure.  Mr. Jackson's perceptions of the business future, were much keener than the old-school merchants and instead of failure, the business was a great success and for sixteen years has paid its stockholders splendid dividends every year.  In October, 1895, Mr. Jackson purchased his partner's interest in the Glass Block real estate and became sole owner of this valuable property.  He also secured Mr. Hoyt's interest in the mercantile company and immediately changed the corporate name to  The C. F. Jackson Company, which is so well known in the business world today.
     Even after acquiring this valuable property, Mr. Jackson's ambition was not satisfied, for in 1902, he secured the first Glass Block Annex by the lease of a three story brick block adjoining on the west, thereby increasing the floor space and obtaining better facilities to handle the vast growing trade.  The business has been conducted on a cash basis with a fixed price and to these rules and the straightforward principles which have governed his commercial affairs, the success of Mr. Jackson is due.  In 1904, in order to utilize surplus earnings, Mr. Jackson bought for the company a business block at Findlay, Ohio, for one hundred and thirty thousand dollars and established at that point a second Glass Block department store larger and more beautiful than the original store at Norwalk.  His eldest son, Edward E. Jackson, was made vice-president of the company and general manager at Findlay.  The success of the store at that place has been beyond the expectations of even its proprietor.  In December, 1008, a second annex was added at Norwalk, comprising three floors with a frontage of sixty feet on Benedict avenue, giving the Norwalk store a total of ninety thousand square feet of sales room or nearly two and a half acres - a monument to the business foresight and executive ability of its founder.  In addition to the general management of these great mercantile establishments, Mr. Jackson is interested in numerous manufacturing and business enterprises to which he devotes a portion of his time.  He is president of the Norwalk Vault Company, vice-president of the Auto Buggy Company, treasurer of the Miller Anchor Company, vice-president of the Auto Buggy Company, treasurer of the Miller Anchor Company, a director of the Local Telephone Company, of the Interstate Ice Company and the Tinker Concrete Company, while in numerous other concerns, he is a stockholder, giving him diversified interests probably not exceeded by those of any other business man in Norwalk.  For two years he has been the president of the Norwalk Chamber of Commerce, a strong organization of business men, looking after the welfare and prosperity of Norwalk's business interests.
     On the 11th of November, 1874, Mr. Jackson was married to Miss Mary L. Stevens, of Norwalk and unto them have been born four children: Edward Everett, who was born January 2, 1876, and was married at Findlay, Ohio, September 1, 1905, to Miss Glenna Weil; Thayer Elden, born June 19, 1884; Kenneth Seymour, born July 9, 1886; and Hortence Ione, born Mar. 16, 1891.
     Mr. Jackson is not only well known because of the extent and importance of his business affairs, but also by reason of his co-operation in many interests and measures which relate to the individual or public welfare.  He belongs to the Masonic fraternity, in which he has attained the Knight Templar degree, to the Knights of Pythias lodge, the Royal Arcanum, the Knights of the Maccabees and the National Union.  He is a member of the Ohio Sons of the American Revolution and was for many years a member of the Shakespeare Club, Norwalk's leading literary and social club.  He is likewise a liberal supporter of the Presbyterian church and for many yeas has served on its board of trustees.  He has never become actively connected with politics or aspired to public office.  He is rather retiring in disposition, but most public-spirited and in a quiet and unostentatious way, has devoted much time and money to the public good.  He finds his pleasure in his elegant home and his close, enduring friends and he deserves in the largest degree the respect and confidence as well as the success, which have been accorded him.
(CLICK HERE for picture of the Glass Block Company)
SOURCE #2 - History of Huron County, Ohio - Vol. II - By A. J. Baughman - Chicago - The S. J. Clarke Publ. Co. - 1909 - Page
W. H. JACOBS.  This well-known citizen of Norwalk traces his ancestry through the dim vistas of many years to a Frenchman of the family name, who immigrated to Vermont in early Colonial days.  His son, John W. Jacobs, who was born in Vermont, fought under Gen. Putnam at Bunker Hill, and was present during the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown. 
     His son, Gustavus, was born in 1792, in Middlebury, Vt., and in 1818 was united in marriage with Harriet Perkins, a native of the same place.  They removed to a farm in the New York colony, where he died at the age of eighty-five years.  They were the parents of nine children - seven sons and two daughters - of which family Henry was killed in the Civil war, and six are yet living.  The parents were members of the M. E. Church.
     Gustavus Jacobs, so of Gustavus and Harriet (Perkins) Jacobs, was born, in 1828, in Wyoming county, N. Y., where his youth was passed.  He learned and followed the boat-builder's trade in connection with the lumber business, and came to Huron county, Ohio, in 1863.  He was married to Sarah A. Roth, who was born March 24, 1831, in Seneca Falls, N. Y., a daughter of Jacob Roth, and grandchild of Casper Roth, whose parents were natives of Germany.  Casper Roth served throughout the Revolution, having fought at Valley Forge, taking part also in the battle of Eutaw Springs, and was present at the surrender of Lord Cornwallis.  His son Jacob was born in 1798, in Pennsylvania, and was married to Catherine McBeth.  He was soldier in the war of 1812, and fought at Lundy's Lane.  After the war most of his life was spent in New York, where he died at the age of seventy-nine years.  Gustavus and Sarah A. Jacobs have passed their wedded life in Huron county, Ohio, where he has accumulated a large fortune, and is now conducting a sawmill at Norwalk.
     W. H. Jacobs, a son of Gustavus and Sarah A. (Roth) Jacobs, was born in 1862, in Norwalk, Ohio.  He attended a grammar school and high school of his native place, and since his eighteenth year has followed carpentry and contracting.  He and George Stewart have conducted a general business in that line under the firm name of Stewart & Jacobs, for about one year and a half.  They engaged in all classes of contract work, including paving, the laying of sidewalks and water pipes, and employing about twenty-eight men.  W. H. Jacobs is also interested in a saw-mill.  He was married to Miss Nettie Hamilton, a native of Pennsylvania, who has borne him one daughter - Maude - and one son - Gustavus.  In political opinion Mr. Jacobs is a stanch Republican, and he and his wife are members of the Congregational Church.
GILBERT L. JOHNSON, a prominent representative agriculturist of Clarksfield township, was born Feb. 26, 1828, in the town of Danby, Tompkins Co., N. Y., a son of Abraham Johnson, who was born in Connecticut.
     Abraham Johnson was educated in the schools of his native town, and there learned the two great branches of the building trade, becoming a stone mason and carpenter.  When a young man he migrated to Tompkins county, N. Y., and located in Caroline Township where, he met and married Sally Walton, also a native of Connecticut, who came to Tompkins county, N. Y., when a girl, and resided there until 1846, when the family migrated to Ohio.  The children born to Abraham and Sally Johnson are as follows:  Phoebe, who married Abraham Smith, and died in Clarksfield township;  Wesley, a farmer of Crawford county, Penn.; George, who resides in Branch county, Mich.; Jane, who married Anthony Shipman, and died in Clarksfield township; Gilbert L., the subject of this sketch; Emily, wife of Aaron Thomas, of Henry county, Ohio; Lewis, residing in Branch county, Mich., and Amanda, who first married John Wilson, and is now the wife of Anson Wheeler, of Henry county, Ohio.  With the exception of Wesley the whole family came to Ohio in 1846, making the journey with a wagon drawn by two horses.  On this wagon were packed the household goods, so that the adults of the family had, practically, to walk over rough roads from their old home in New York, to their new one in Ohio.  On arriving in Clarksfield township, Huron county, they found themselves in the midst of a dense forest, but a space for a cabin was at once cleared and the erection of a small log house begun.  Before the structure was completed a storm swept over the forest, blew down the trees on one side of the little clearing, and one, failing on the house, demolished it.  Undeterred, the work of building was resumed, and the pioneers occupied their first home in Ohio.  The clearing away of the forest was then begun, and there was soon another open space in the wilderness.  Subsequently the father built for his family a frame house, and followed his trades, giving much more attention thereto than to agriculture, until his death, which occurred in February, 1866.  He was buried in East Creek cemetery, in New London township, where the remains of his widow were interred in 1872.  Politically he was originally a Whig, having voted for William Henry Harrison, later became an Abolitionist, a Free-soiler, and finally a Republican.
     Gilbert L. Johnson was raised in the manner common to boys of the pioneer period, attending school only as circumstances permitted.  When twelve or thirteen years old he assisted his father in making barrels, for the latter was a cooper as well as a stone mason and carpenter.  When eighteen years old he accompanied his parents to Ohio, and at once went to work in clearing the farm, in which he was engaged until 1849, when he commenced to work for himself.  He found employment at eleven dollars per month, cutting cordwood near Norwalk; and having a knowledge of coopering, also earned money at that trade, and steadily advanced.  His marriage with Rhoda Cotton took place Mar. 1, 1855.  She was born May 9, 1829, at Truxton, Cortland Co., N. Y., a daughter of Jonathan and Polly (Kingsley) Cotton, who settled in Wayne county, Ohio, in 1832, where Mr. Johnson met and married Miss Cotton, while he was an employe of the Cleveland, Tuscarawas Valley & Wheeling Railroad Company, then in course of construction.  Mrs. Johnson was a schoolteacher in Wayne county, Ohio, and Mr. Johnson boarded at her father's house while working on the railroad in that section.  The children born to this marriage were as follows:  Effie, now Mrs. Reuben Knapp, of Huntington, Lorain county; Walton, who died in 1864, at the age of six years; Lewis, who married Lillie Lee, and resides in Clarksfield; and Clara, now Mrs. Earl Ketcham, of New London, Huron County.  After marriage Mr. and Mrs. Johnson moved to Coldwater, Mich., where he worked at the trade of cooper until he learned of the illness of his wife's parents, when he and his wife returned to Wayne county to care for them.  For four years he was engaged in farming in Milton township.
     In 1860 he removed to Huron county, purchased a farm of forty acres in Clarksfield township, and there lived until 1866, when he took possession of his present farm.  This tract contains 120 acres, well improved, with a substantial, well-furnished house, good farm buildings, fences, and large orchard, representing his savings since the close of the Civil War.  Mr. Johnson cast his first Presidential vote for John C. Fremont, and has ever since been a Republican.  He takes a deep interest in political affairs, studies current subjects, and is well posted on the issues of the day.  He and his wife are Free-will Baptists, and he is trustee in the church.
Source: Commemorative Biographical Records of the counties of Huron and Lorain, Ohio - Illustrated - Published: Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1894 - Page 170
MILO F. JOHNSON, a progressive and prosperous farmer of Norwalk township, was born in Peru township, July 21, 1859.  His birth occurred on the old homestead farm taken up by his grandfather, Marcus Johnson, in the early part of the eighteenth century, which property is yet owned by one of his daughters, Mrs. Della M. Linder.  He is a son of Luther B. Johnson, who was born on the 1st of November, 1822, in Elba, Genesee county, New York.  He came west to Ohio with his parents, when eighteen months of age, settling on the old homestead farm in 1824.  This continued to be his place of residence until 1888, when he retired from active life and came to Norwalk, where he passed away in April, 1904, at the ripe old age.  The wife preceded him to the great beyond in May 1895.  He belonged to the Universalist church and was a stanch republican in politics.  A successful and substantial farmer, he devoted his entire efforts to that line of activity, and, though quiet and unassuming in manner, was well known and honored for his strict integrity and his loyalty to the general good, doing all in his power to further the growth and upbuilding of the community in which he lived.  His family consisted of three children, namely: Milo F., of this review; Della M., who passed away in August, 1909; and Mrs. Alma E. Call, of Williams county, Ohio.
     Reared on the old homestead farm, Milo F. Johnson pursued his education in the district schools of Peru township and spent the years of his boyhood and youth under the parental roof.  Upon attaining his majority, he decided to adopt as his life work the occupation to which he had been reared and has since been engaged in agricultural pursuits, with the exception of three years, when connected with the Ohio Metal Company.  He has a finely improved place, equipped with good barns and outbuildings and all latest devices and equipments for facilitating the work of the farm.  He is progressive and up-to-date in his methods and has attained a creditable degree of prosperity in his agricultural pursuits.
     On the 24th of October, 1888, Mr. Johnson was united in marriage to Miss Sadie E. Nicholson, and they have become the parents of one daughter, Helen B., born Feb. 24, 1897.  Mrs. Johnson is the daughter of William Nicholson, of Mansfield, Ohio, and is one of a family of six children.  The father was born in England and came to Mansfield when twenty-three years of age.  He had been a grocer in his native land and continued to engaged in that line in this country.  He passed away in 1887.  His wife, who was also born in England, was brought by her parents to America when six weeks old.  Her father, Charles Hutchinson, on his arrival in the United States, came direct to Huron county where he settled on a farm of one hundred and twenty acres in Perry township which is still in the family.
     Mr. Johnson's church affiliations are with the Presbyterians, and he has given stalwart support to the republican party since age conferred upon him the right of franchise.  He has served as township trustee for seven years and is still the incumbent in that office.  Mr. Johnson has not only been industrious, but has evidenced in his transactions those qualities which make friends, and, being upright in all of his dealings and interested in the moral and well as the financial welfare of the community, he enjoys the confidence and respect of all who know him.
SOURCE #2 - History of Huron County, Ohio - Vol. II - By A. J. Baughman - Chicago - The S. J. Clarke Publ. Co. - 1909 - Page 35
RALPH C. JOHNSON, prominent in agricultural circles in Fitchville township, was born Aug. 31, 1822, in Middlesex county, N. J., son of William Johnson.
     WILLIAM JOHNSON
, son of Ralph Johnson, was born in Middlesex county, N. J., Sept. 18, 1793.  About the age of fifteen years he was apprenticed to a tanner and currier and a shoemaker, and worked at these trades for five years, five months and eighteen days.  In 1821 he married Lydia (a daughter of Ralph Cortleyon), a native of the same county, born Apr. 22, 1800, and their children are as follows:  Ralph C., born Aug. 31, 1822; Gertrude A., born Dec. 28, 1823, married J. C. Ransom, and died Mar. 9, 1892; Mary, born July 5, 1825, married William Prosser, and died May 14, 1882; Eliza Jane, born Apr. 8, 1827, widow of S. K. Barnes, residing in Fitchville, Ohio; Alfred S., born Mar. 29, 1829, a resident of New London, Ohio; Catherine, born Dec. 7, 1830, who married J. M. Foote, and subsequently Ira Foote, and died Feb. 8, 1877; and William C., born Feb. 7, 1833, died Nov. 13, 1833.  The mother of this family died Apr. 3, 1834, and the same year Mr. Johnson married Melinda Blodgett.  To this second marriage came the following:  Lewis, born Sept. 13, 1835, now a resident of Clarksfield township; Philena, born Nov. 16, 1837, who married George Foote, and subsequently John Bigelow; Oliver, born June 14, 1841, died Aug. 16, 1849; and Lydia, born Sept. 14, 1846, died Aug. 10, 1849.  Mrs. Malinda Johnson died Sept. 14, 1849, and on Jan. 30, 1850, Mr. Johnson married Mrs. Hepzibah (Blodgett) Eaton (widow of Jonathan Eaton), who died Sept. 20, 1861, without issue.  The father died Feb. 24, 1867.
     William Johnson followed his trade in New Jersey until his removal to Ontario County, N. Y., in 1825.  In 1835 he migrated to Ohio, where, in Hartland township, Huron county, he had purchased some land.  On Nov. 17 of that year the family started on the journey to that township, arriving at their destination Dec. 2, 1835.  The method of transportation was a lumber wagon, and the route via Rochester, Buffalo, Cleveland and Elyria.  His purchase of 220 acres for two thousand dollars was half paid for in the fall of 1835, and within a few years the second one thousand dollars was paid up.  On this farm Mr. Johnson led an active life until within a short time prior to his death, when he retired to the home of a daughter at New London, where he passed away, and was buried with Baptist ritual, in Hartland Ridge Cemetery.
     Ralph C. Johnson received an elementary education in the rude schools which were in vogue in his youth.  He was reared on the farm and worked thereon till Feb. 5, 1849, on which day he married Eliza L. Townsend, born in Huron county Dec. 22, 1825, a daughter of Hosea Townsend, who was a pioneer.  After marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Johnson located on a tract of wild land in Hartland township, and remained there for sixteen years, until the land was all cleared.  In 1865 they located on the Hickock farm, one mile south of Fitchville Center, where they have resided to the present day.  One child has been born to Ralph C. and Eliza L. Johnson:  Eliza J., wife of Richard L. Merrick.  She graduated from Oberlin College, and is now a practicing physician at Cleveland, Ohio, of the Homeopathic School.  Mrs. Johnson is a member of the Baptist Church at Fitchville.  R. C. Johnson was originally a Whig, became a Republican in 1856, and has since been a most stanch supporter of that party.  He has held offices in each township where he has resided, and has always been an efficient and courteous official.  Mr. Johnson is a successful farmer and stock grower.  His estate of over 378 acres, in this rich section of Ohio, has been won, principally by his stern, hard labor in the forest and field.  The improvements have been mainly made by him, and the herds and flocks which browse upon his beautiful farm have been gathered by him.  All in all he is the sole architect of his own fortune, and a man who deserves the place he holds in the estimation of  his neighbors and of the people of Fitchville township.
SOURCE #1 -
Commemorative Biographical Records of the counties of Huron and Lorain, Ohio - Illustrated - Published: Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1894 - Page 416
WILLIAM HUMPHREY JOHNSTON, B. S., M. S., M. D., is a native of Townsend Center, Huron Co., Ohio, born Dec. 17, 1866, only child of Hon. Watson D. and Delia (Humphrey) Johnston.
     Hon. Watson D. Johnston was born in Allegheny county, Penn., May 21, 1844, the eldest in the family of five children of Rev. John W. and Sarah (Murray) Johnston,  natives, the father of Pennsylvania, the mother of New York State, and of Scotch-English and Scotch-Irish descent, respectively.
     Rev. John W. Johnston received a thorough classical education at Jefferson College and the Western Theological Seminary of Allegheny, graduating from both institutions with high honors.  After completing his theological studies he was ordained to the ministry of the Presbyterian Church, and was pastor for various congregations in the western part of Pennsylvania.  In 1842 he was married in his native State to Miss Sarah Murray; he died in March, 1882, in his seventy-seventh year.  His father, Rev. Robert Johnston, was also a lifelong Presbyterian minister, and was a veteran of the war of 1812, having served in the Pennsylvania line.  The ancestors of the Johnston family were among the pioneers of western Pennsylvania, taking an active and honorable part in the various struggles of that Commonwealth in the old Colonial days.  The Murray family were among the early settlers of New York, the old family home being in the vicinity of Albany.
     Watson D. Johnston received his education at the common schools in the vicinity of his place of birth, at an academy and at Oberlin College, all which advantages were secured to him mainly by his own exertions.  After leaving college he taught school for about two years in Illinois, after which he was employed in the office of a rolling mills at Kittanning, one year.  He then came to Townsend Center, Huron county, where he has since been successfully engaged in a general mercantile business, and has been postmaster of the village for several years.  He is a stanch Republican, and represented the county in the State Legislature two terms, from 1883 to 1887; at various times he has been clerk and treasurer of his township, all of which incumbencies he has filled with credit to himself and satisfaction of his constituents.  On Mar. 15, 1866, he was married in Townsend Center to Miss Delia Humphrey, a native of Ohio, daughter of William and Sarah (Bierce) Humphrey, both natives of Connecticut and of English descent.  One son was born to this union, William Humphrey, subject of sketch.  The mother died in June, 1869, and for his second wife Mr. Johnston was wedded in June, 1872, at Butler, Penn., to Miss Caroline Walker, a native of Pennsylvania, born in April, 1844.  This union was blessed with five children, viz.: Robert, Mame, Thomas, Emma and MaggieMr. Johnston is a Royal Arch Mason, a member of Lodge No. 322, F. & A. M., East Townsend, of which he has twice been worshipful master.
     William Humphrey Johnston, after several years attendance at the common schools and academy of his native town, entered the Scientific Department of the University of Notre Dame, near South Bend, Ind., from which institution he subsequently graduated with highest honors, in June, 1885, receiving the degree of B. S.; to him was also awarded the gold medal, or first prize for English Essays; the gold medal for original work in the Biological Laboratory, and the gold medal of the Scientific Association.  During the same year, 1885, he became a member of the American Society of Microscopy.  After graduating he taught at the University in the department of Natural Science from some two years, and at the same time took a medical and a special or post-graduate course, receiving the degree of M. S. in 1887.  Dr. Johnston then pursued his medical studies in the Medical Department of the Western Reserve University, of Cleveland, Ohio, during which time he served as assistant professor in the Department of Microscopy, having charge and principal control of the laboratory, and he was also first assistant to Prof. C. B. Parker, M. R. C. S., professor of surgery.  He graduated with high honors in the class of 1889, after which he returned to the home of his childhood, where, in the short space of three years, he has succeeded in building up an extensive and lucrative practice.  The Doctor is fully equipped with all the latest modern appliances, having beyond a doubt the largest and best collection of surgical and scientific instruments and apparatus to be found in this part of the State.  His microscope, with its various attachments, is one of the most complete known to the profession.  Aside from his use of the instrument in the usual lines, and as an aid to medical study and diagnosis, he has devoted much time to the more delicate and difficult microscopial technique, such as finds its application in so-called "expert work."  In  addition to his professional work, he also takes considerable interest in agriculture, owning, in the immediate vicinity of Collins and Townsend Center, a well-improved farm of between three and four hundred acres, which, however, is mainly operated by tenants.  On Sept. 18 1888, Dr. Johnston was married at Norwalk, Ohio, to Miss Nellie E. Dollard, daughter of James P. Dollard.  She was was born in Bellevue, Ohio, Aug. 12, 1868, and left that place at about the age of four, residing first at Collins, Ohio, afterward, and until her marriage, at Norwalk. Dr. and Mrs. Johnston have one child, Donald Humphrey, born May 8, 1893.  Socially Dr. Johnston belongs to the Masonic Fraternity, being a member of East Townsend Lodge No. 322, F. & A. M., Huron Chapter No. 7, R. A. M., Norwalk Council No. 24, R. & S. M., and Norwalk Commandery No. 18 K. T.  He is also a member of the S. V. and Tent physician of the Townsend K. O. T. M.  His present residence is the old Wm. Humphrey homestead.
Source: Commemorative Biographical Records of the counties of Huron and Lorain, Ohio - Illustrated - Published: Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1894 - Page 120
  OZIAS JOINER

SOURCE #2 - History of Huron County, Ohio - Vol. II - By A. J. Baughman - Chicago - The S. J. Clarke Publ. Co. - 1909 - Page 389

F. H. JONES, attorney at law, Norwalk.  From the unanimous testimony of this community, we may well say that this gentleman is one of the leading members of the Huron county bar.  He was born September 15, 1858, near Madison, Wisconsin, a son of James and Sabra (Alvord) Jones, who migrated from Massachusetts to the West, settling in Wisconsin.  After a time, however, they retraced their steps, returning East and locating in Bellevue, Huron Co., Ohio.  The paternal ancestors of the family came to this country about 1700, and settled on the island known as Martha's Vineyard; the maternal ancestors were from England. 
     F. H. Jones received his early education in the common schools, and then became a student in Western Reserve University, Cleveland, where he received the degree of A. B. in the class of 1882.  During the year 1882-83 he was superintendent of the public schools of Mentor, Ohio.  He then entered the Cincinnati Law School, and in 1885 received his diploma, conferring the degree of LL. B.  Locating first in Sandusky, Ohio, he there commenced the practice of his profession, but in a short time removed to Norwalk, entering into the law practice in partnership with G. R. Walker.  This firm was subsequently dissolved, and Mr. Jones opened out his present office, where he has since been in active practice, gaining an unusual degree of success.  Pleasant in address, a diligent student and graceful speaker, his onward course has been the inevitable result following strong and fixed causes.  He has the entire respect and confidence of his professional brethren, and the courts have designated their confidence by appointing him referee in a number of important cases.  He has given special study in the law to the subjects of equity, corporations and realty, and his researches in these lines have made him influential if not an authority, even with the older men of the profession.  Mr. Jones is yet a young man; the future with its fairest promises is all before him, and here his closest friends may in confidence anchor their fondest hopes.  In politics he has always been an enthusiastic and active Republican.
SOURCE #1 - Commemorative Biographical Records of the counties of Huron and Lorain, Ohio - Illustrated - Published: Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1894

 
 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
HURON COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights