OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
HOCKING COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

Source: 
History of Hocking Valley, Ohio -
Published Chicago:
by Inter-State Publishing Co.
1883

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to 1883 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >

  Marion Twp. -
SAMUEL ST. CLAIR
, farmer, second son of Hugh and Julia A. (Rutter) St. Clair, was born in Indiana County, Pa., May 11, 1849.  Mar. 25, 1865, he enlisted as a private in Captain J. W. Doughertyís company, of Indiana County, Pa.; was assigned to the One Hundred and Third Regiment, Pennsylvania Infantry, and was on duty on Roanoke Island and Newburn, N. C.  He was mustered out at Newburn, and discharged at Harrisburg, Pa., July, 1865.  He then returned home to Indiana County, Pa., and soon after came to Perry County, Ohio, and worked in a saw-mill one year.  In 1866 he and his brother purchased a portable saw-mill and engaged in milling in Perry and Hocking counties until 1872.  He then sold his mill interest and has since been engaged in farming.  He served as Assessor of Falls Township in 1878 and 1879.  He is member of Hocking Valley Lodge, No. 191, I. O. O. F. Nov. 9, 1871, he married Josephine, daughter of George and Maria (Moore) Crawford, of Hocking County.  They have three children - Frank, Josie B. and Jennie M.  Himself and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1156
  Washington Twp. -
DANIEL SCHAAL, born in York County, Pa., Oct. 31, 1828. His parents were August C. and Mary Agnes Schaal, both natives of Germany, Berlin being his fatherís birth-place, and Wurtemburg his motherís.  They came to America with their three children in the spring of 1827, landing at Baltimore.  Being without means they went to Pennsylvania and worked for the farmers there till they secured enough to take them farther.  In 1831 they moved West and located in Muskingum County, Ohio.  When they arrived in Zanesville Mr. Schaal had only 50 cents in cash and an old blind horse.  They made Muskingum County their home for about six years, when they came to Hocking County, that portion which now forms a part of Vinton County.  They died in October, 1869, Mrs. Schaal on the 10th, and Mr. Schaal one week later, the 17th.  Mrs. Schaal was the mother of eleven children, eight of whom grew up - five sons and three daughters.  One daughter has been dead about thirty-five years.  Daniel Schaal, the fourth child, remained at home until he was nearly twenty-three years of age.  His educational advantages were very limited, the country being new and schools a rarity.  He was married June 5, 1851, to Anna Elizabeth Hengst, who was born in Prussia, June 30, 1828, daughter of John and Christina Hengst.  The Hengst family came to this country in 1835 and settled in Lancaster, Fairfield Co., Ohio.  After his marriage Mr. Schaal bought a forty-acre tract in Vinton County, and began farming.  He remained on this farm till the fall of 1866, when he removed to Hocking County and bought 320 acres in Washington Township, where he has ever since resided.  This farm has been increased to 420 acres, and is now well improved.  He was originally a Whig, and when that old party died he fell in line with the Democracy.  He has been Township Trustee for six terms at different internals, the last time holding the office for three consecutive terms, the last term expiring Apr. 1, 1883.  Mr. and Mrs. Schaal have had seven children, four of whom are now living - John W., married Harriet Funk; George, married Arminda Waller; Adam and Mary E. Schaal Mr. Schaal has been connected with the Evangelical Lutheran church since 1849.  His wife and children are also members of the same church.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1085
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
CHARLES WILLIAM SCHWINKE, freight and ticket agent of the C., H. V. & T. R. R. Company at Logan, is the son of Henry and Elizabeth (Later) Schwenke.  He was born at Sugar Grove, Fairfield Co., Ohio, Sept. 28, 1858.  He was educated at the public schools of his native place till he was sixteen.  When fifteen years of age he learned telegraphy in the railroad office at Sugar Grove, attending school at the same time.  On leaving home he went to Lancaster, Ohio, where he was employed as special operator two years, when he was sent to Columbus and employed in the dispatcher's office another year, after which he took charge of the telegraph office at the South Depot at Columbus.  In July, 1879, he went to Logan, obtaining his present position as freight and ticket agent.  He was married Apr. 21, 1880 to Miss Mattie, daughter of George and Elizabeth (Davis) Strawn, of Logan.  They are the parents of one child - Clarence Henry Mr. Schwenke is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran church, and his wife belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church of Logan.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 995
  Laurel Twp. -
JOHN SHEIK
, son of John and Mary Sheik, is a native of Germany, born July 26, 1832.  When he was quite small his parents came to America and located in Bearfield Township, Perry Co., Ohio, where he was reared and educated.  He was married Feb. 14, 1854, to Rebecca J. Allen, a native of Perry County.  They are the parents of ten children - Pleasant A., John R., James M., Margaret M., Francis A., Laura M., Rebecca Agnes, William S. and Phillip S. (twins), and Mary J.  Mr. Sheik came to Laurel Township in 1855, settling on section 34, where he now has 172 acres of well-improved land, a two-story residence and good farm buildings.  He is a member of the United Brethren church.  Politically he is a Democrat.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1140
  Green Twp. -
DANIEL C. SHERRARD
, foreman of the Sloan Hill opening, or entry for Haydenville Mining and Manufacturing Company, was born in Muskingum County, Dec. 25, 1847, a son of James Sherrard, of Haydenville, also a native of the same county.  In November, 1870, he came to Hocking County, where he still resides.  He was engaged in mining for a period of twenty years, but for the last two and a half years has occupied his present position.  He was married Jan. 25, 1872, to Catherine, daughter of Daniel Walters.  Their children are - James, Nellie, Edith, Fred, Charles and RobertMr. Sherrard has been a member of the Masonic society eleven years, and of the I. O. O. F. society three years.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1034
  Ward Twp. -
J. S. SHAW was born Feb. 16, 1825, in Perry County, Ohio, but was reared in Ward Township, Hocking County.  He is a son of Eli and Elizabeth Shaw and received his education in the old-fashioned log school-house.  He was one of the old settlers of Ward Township, and has killed a great many deer in an early day.  He was married Apr. 12, 1844, to Miss Annie Woods, daughter of Andy and Elizabeth Woods.  Mr. Woods was a soldier in the war of 1812.  Mr. Shaw has five children - Alba, Ephraim, Elizabeth, Willia, and Ida E.  Andy and Mariah died in childhood.  Mr. Shaw owns eighty-three acres of fine land on section 16, which he values at $200 an acre.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1021
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
JOHN SHAW, farmer, eldest son of Jonathan and Susan (Higdon) Shaw, was born in Montgomery County, Md., Mar. 20, 1807. When he was four years of age his father died, and his mother with her three children lived with her father until John, the subject of this sketch, was thirteen years of age.  She then removed to Frederick City, Frederick Co., Md., and apprenticed him to Conrad Brothers to learn the coloring and weaving trade.  He attended school at odd times and was taught some at night by his employers, and thus received a limited common school education.  He served at his trade until twenty-one years of age, and continued working for the firm until twenty-four years of age for wages.  In November, 1831, removed to Perry County, Ohio, and purchased a farm.  In 1836 he sold his farm and purchased wild lands in Falls Township, Hocking County, and opened a farm.  Five years later he again sold out and purchased wild lands, and opened the farm where he now resides.  He has served as Trustee of Falls Township seven years, and as Commissioner of Hocking County nine years.  May 1, 1830, he married Harriet, daughter of John and Sarah (Conrod) Sponseller, of Frederick City, Md.  They have seven sons - John A., of Green Township; Charles F., of Illinois; Robert H., of Minnesota; James J. and Jonathan R., of Falls Township; George H. and Jacob F., of Laurel Township.  A daughter, Sarah A., wife of John Clark, died Sept. 28, 1864, aged thirty-one years.  His wife died Nov. 7, 1873, aged sixty-six years.  She was a member of the English Lutheran church.  Apr. 1, 1878, he married Mrs. Mary A., widow of Ozias Barnes, and daughter of Daniel and Jane (Sibley) Lemon, of Hocking County.  He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 995
  Green Twp. -
JOHN A. SHAW was born in Frederick City, Md., Dec. 21, 1830, a son of John Shaw, of Falls Township.  He came with his parents to Hocking County in 1839, where he was reared and educated, residing on his father's farm.  In 1853 he came to Green Township.  Mr. Shaw was elected County Treasurer in 1868, re-elected in 1869, again in 1875 and in 1877, holding the office seven and a half years.  In 1872-'73 he was Treasurer of Green Township.  In 1880 he was elected a Director of the County Infirmary, still retaining the position.  Jan. 13, 1853, he married Josephine Rolsten, daughter of David Rolsten, who came to Hocking from Muskingum County in 1840.  They have nine children - Charles H., Harriet E., Sarah A., Josephine A., Edward S., Mary E., Dora J., Clara L. and John D.  Charles H. married Mary Ellen Botts, daughter of Samuel Botts, and Harriet E. married G. L. Nelson, both residents of this township.   Mr. and Mrs. Shaw and their four eldest children are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.  Mr. Shaw is a member of the I. O. O. F. fraternity Lodge No. 542.  He owns 369 acres of valuable land, residing on section 26, Green Township.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1032
  Perry Twp. -
SALEM SHOEMAKER
, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Madison Township, Fairfield Co., Ohio, Apr. 2, 1849, a son of Levi and Sally Ann (Roads) Shoemaker, who were old settlers of that county.  Our subject was reared on a farm and received his education in the common schools, residing with his parents until he grew to manhood.  He was married Oct. 13, 1875, to Miss Samantha Stone, a daughter of Samuel and Catharine (McCormick) Stone.  They have four children - Bertha May, born May 26, 1876; Pella Grace, born May 9, 1878; Ida, born Nov. 19, 1880; Edwin B., born Nov. 18, 1882.  After his marriage Mr. Shoemaker moved to his present home where he has eighty-seven acres of improved land.  He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1124
  Starr Twp. -
MEREDITH F. SIMMS was born in Culpeper County, Va., May 24, 1836.  His father, John W. Simms, was a native of the same county, and brought his family to Norwich, Muskingum Co., Ohio, in 1838, and to Athens County in 1840, settling in Athens Township.  Our subject began to learn the tanner's trade when twelve years old, and followed that business for several years.  He came to Starr Township in 1865, where he has since resided.  He owns 173 acres of land, and is engaged in farming and stock-raising.  For the past nine years he has held the office of Justice of the Peace.  He was married in 1864 to Emeline, daughter of Alex. Kinnear.  They have ten children - Mary, William T. S., Thomas S., Lucy M., Lenora, Susan, John W., James M., Lewis Deen and Nancy.  Mr. Simms  is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
SOURCE: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1062
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
HENRY RICHARD SNYDER, editor and proprietor of the Logan Republican, was born in Hopewell Township, Perry County, Ohio, Feb. 17, 1853, a son of Abraham and Mary M. (Stover) Snyder.  He was reared in his native county, being educated in the common schools and the Academy at Madison, graduating from that institution in 1875.  He afterward took a year's course in the Wesleyan University at Delaware, Ohio.  In 1873 he began teaching and taught at irregular intervals, when not attending school, till 1877.  In the summer of 1879 he assisted on the editorial work on the New Lexington Tribune and afterward worked on that paper at intervals till March, 1881, when he came to Logan and became the proprietor of the Logan Republican.  May 10, 1881, Mr. Snyder married Minerva Burgess, of Madison Township, Perry Co., Ohio.  They have one child - Herbert Ray.  Mr. and Mrs. Snyder are members of the Methodist Episcopal church at Logan.  He is a member of Mingo Lodge, No. 171, A. F. & A. M.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 996
  Washington Twp. -
ISRAEL SONDERS
was born in Perry County, Ohio, Apr. 6, 1819, and is the son of Jacob and Mary Magdalene (Slater) Sonders, the former a native of Maryland and the latter of Virginia.  When three years of age his parents moved to Morgan County where he was reared till nineteen years of age, and where his mother still resides on the old homestead, his father having died soon after the close of the war. He was married Feb. 10, 1842, to Susanna Weller, a native of Morgan County.  They have had eight children, two of whom died in infancy.  Those living are - Eli W., Alfred A., Jacob G., Lavina J., Sarah A. and Luther.  After his marriage Mr. Sonders moved to Hocking County, and settled on the place he now resides when it was a dense wilderness.  He has been a member of the Presbyterian church for ten or twelve years, previously belonging to the Lutheran denomination.  Politically he was originally a Whig but is now a Republican.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1086
  Salt Creek Twp. -
CHARLES SPENCER, son of James C. and Eleanor (Karshner )Spencer, was born in Ross County, Ohio, Apr. 20, 1830.  He was married Jan. 24, 1857, to Jane Strous, daughter of John and Angeline Strous, of Pickaway County, Ohio.  They have five children - James, Mary J., Anna, John and Ella.  The first year after his marriage he lived with his father, and then went to Pickaway County, and lived two years.  In 1860 he returned to Hocking County and lived on what was known as the Larrick farm, till 1873.  He then bought his brotherís interest in the home farm and returned to the old homestead.  He now has 444 acres of fine land, all well cultivated, and is considered one of the best farmers in Hocking County.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1103
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
NOAH W. STARR, residing on section 34, Falls-Gore, was born here, Feb. 9, 1840.  He was reared a farmer, which avocation he has always followed.  He was educated at the common schools.  In 1877 he married Nannie J., daughter of Ellison Miers, of Ward Township.  They have one child - Harry K.  Mr. Starr owns 435 acres of valuable land.  The Straitsville branch of the Hocking Valley Railroad passes through it.  His mother lives with him in her eighty-fifth year.  He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.  Moses Starr, father of our subject, was a native of West Virginia, and came to this county about 1816 and settled on the old homestead  where his son Noah still lives.  His first wife, Sarah Webb, bore him eight children, five of whom are still living - Benjamin, Elizabeth, Thomas, Harriet and Moses.  His second wife was Sarah Beveridge a native of Loudoun County, Va., our subject being the only child of this union.  Mrs. Starr's first husband was Craen Clowe.  There were blessed with five children - John, Charles (deceased), Elijah, Mary and Craven.  He was a soldier in the war of 1812, and John, Elijah and Craven Clowe were in the war of the Rebellion, Craven being Captain of Company C, Sixty-second Ohio Infantry.  Moses Starr died in October, 1870, aged over eighty years.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 996
  Perry Twp. -
JAMES S. STEEL
was born in Perry Township, Hocking Co., Ohio, Feb. 10, 1845, a son of James and Mary (Sherrick) Steel.  When he was eighteen years of age, in September, 1863, he enlisted in Company M, Twelfth Ohio Cavalry.  They immediately went to Richmond and remained two weeks; then went to Virginia and participated in the battle of the Salt Works; then went into winter quarters in Kentucky, and was afterward on patrol duty through many of the Southern States.  He was discharged July 10, 1865, and the next three years worked at the carpenter's trade.  He then went to Vermillion, Ill., and remained three years.  Mr. Steel first married Elizabeth Highfill of Kentucky.  They had one child, mother and child both now deceased.  He afterward married Elizabeth Higley, of Laurel Township, Hocking County.  They have three children - Laura M., Frank and JohnMrs. Steel is a member of the Lutheran church.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1124
  Perry Twp. -
JOHN S. STEEL
, carpenter and builder, was born in Perry Township, Apr. 24, 1836, a son of James and Mary Steel.  His father having a large family, he was obliged at an early age to take care of himself.  He was married Nov. 2, 1857, to Sophia Koch, a native of Pickaway County, Ohio.  They had a family of eleven children, eight now living - Daniel K., Samuel K., Charles K., William E. K., Mary Ann., Lucy, John and Emma.  Mrs. Steel died June 1, 1878, and Dec. 22, 1878, Mr. Steel married Mrs. Mary (Elbert) Mulette.  They have one child - Ella.  Sept. 3, 1864, Mr. Steel enlisted in Company M, Twelfth Ohio Cavalry; went first to Kentucky and remained till the following spring; then went to Nashville and from there to Knoxville.  In October, 1864, he was taken sick and confined in the hospital four months.  At Knoxville he was again prostrated by disease, from the effects of which he has never recovered.  He was discharged July 3, 1865.  For three years after his return he was engaged in farming; then went to Vermillion, Ill., but remained only a year, returning again to Ohio.  Since then he has been working at the carpenter's trade.  Mr. Steel is a member of the Methodist and his wife of the Presbyterian church.  He is a member of the Adelphi Lodge, No. 114, I. O. O. F.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1124
  Perry Twp. -
T. A. STEEL
was born in Perry Township, Hocking Co., Ohio, Sep. 18, 1858, a son of William and Barbra (Julian) Steel, who were also native of this county.  He is a miller by trade, having worked at it about ten years, and is now running the Laurelville mill.   He lived on the farm till he was fourteen years of age receiving his education in the common schools of the country.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1125

D. B. Stewart
D. B. STEWART

SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page between pages 258 & 259

  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
ISAAC STIERS, pork-packer and dealer in wool, Logan, was born Near Adamsville, Muskingum Co., Ohio, Jan. 7, 1817, the second of four sons of Joseph and Sarah (Southerland) Stiers  He was reared on a farm, receiving his education in the common schools.  In his younger days he taught school, but after becoming of age, in 1838, he was employed as a clerk in the store of Dr. J. Cone, Adamsville, remaining with him five years.  In 1844 he became associated with D. Ross in the mercantile business, the firm name being Ross & Stiers.  In 1846 he bought Mr. Ross's interest and carried on the business alone ten years.  In 1854 he was elected Treasurer of Muskingum County.  In 1856 on account of losing heavily by the bankruptcy of parties to whom he had made a large shipment the previous year, he was obliged to suspend business.  In the winter of 1856 he again began to teach school, and taught during the winter months till 1860.  In September, 1860, he was employed in the mill office of Beaumont & Hollingsworth, at Zanesville, Ohio, and superintended the buying and handling of grain for them five years.  In 1865 he became proprietor of the Putnam Mills at Zanesville, remaining in the milling and grain business two years.  In 1867 he, with Solomon Shroyer engaged in the general produce business under the firm name of Stiers & Shroyer.  In 1869 he retired from the firm and engaged in the mercantile business.  In the spring of 1870 he was burnt out, losing his store and dwelling and saving only a few of his goods, and was the second time obliged to commence again at the beginning.  In January, 1871, he came to Logan and was employed as superintendent of the grange store.  In the winter of 1870 he began to pack pork on a small scale and deal in wool on commission.  His business has increased yearly till he now has a large packing establishment, purchased in 1878.  In the winter of 1882-'83 he killed 1,200 hogs.  He handles annually 100,000 pounds of wool.  July 10, 1842, Mr. Stiers married Sidney T. Frame, of Adamsville.  They have two children - Isaac Newton, of Zanesville, and Joseph A., of the firm of Tritsch & Stiers, Logan.  Mr. and Mrs. Stiers are members of the Methodist Episcopal church of Logan, of which he is a Trustee.  He is a member of Mingo Lodge, No. 171, A. F. & A. M.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 997
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
J. ALBERT STIERS was born in Adamsville, Muskingum Co., Ohio, July 20, 1854.  When one year old he removed with his parents to Sonora, and remained there until 1860, when the family removed to Zanesville, and when eighteen he began to learn the trade of sash and blind making, working at it two and a half years.  In 1873 he came to Logan and followed his trade six months, then opened and ran a feed store for one year, when he began to clerk in the grange store, and in August, 1879, he formed his present partnership with B. K. Tritsch.  Mr. Stiers is a son of Isaac and Sidney T. (Frame) Stiers.  His father is a dealer in wool, pork and provisions at Logan.  His parents are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.  They have had a family of four children, two living - I. N., traveling for a dry-goods house in Philadelphia, and J. A., subject of our sketch.  J. A. Stiers was married to Clara Rochester, Mar. 23, 1877.  She was born in Logan, Ohio, daughter of Joseph and Harriet (Embich) RochesterMr. and Mrs. Stiers are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.  They have two children - Sidney H. and Joseph A.  Mr. Stiers is a member of the I. O. O. F., Mineral Encampment, No. 91; Hocking Valley Lodge, No. 262, at Logan.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 998
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
JOEL BECKWITH STIERS, bookkeeper and clerk for W. R. Calkins hardware merchant of Straitsville, Ohio, was born in Perry County, Ohio, Apr. 17, 1827, a son of Henry and Eunice (Short) Stiers  When he was eighteen years of age he came to Logan and served an apprenticeship of three years with L. Hutchins to learn the saddler and harness maker's trade.  He worked as a journeyman till 1860, when he was elected Clerk of Falls Township, serving by re-election till 1868.  He was then elected Auditor of Hocking County, serving two terms of two years each.  In 1874 he went to Sullivan and engaged in the manufacture of woolen goods two years.  He then went to Larned, Kas., and engaged in farming and keeping hotel till 1880, when he returned to Logan, and was employed as Clerk in the Auditor's office during 1880-'81, and since then has held his present position.  He was married June 20, 1848, to Martha Brown, of Logan, who died Oct. 2, 1869, leaving five children, four now living - William O., Frances, Emma and Carrie Margaret Ellen died in 1879, aged twenty-nine years.  June 20, 1872, he married Mrs. Maria Clark, of Logan.  They have two children - Justine Blanch and Charles O.  Mr. Stiers is a Master and Royal Arch Mason, and has served as Senior and Junior Warden.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 999
  Starr Twp. -
CAPTAIN WILFORD STIERS, leading farmer and breeder of fine shorthorn cattle and fine sheep, Starr Township, was born near Senecaville, Guernsey Co., Ohio, May 31, 1824.  When thirteen years of age he came with his parents to Hocking County and settled on what is known as the Myers farm near Logan, at that time a very small place.  He remained during his boyhood on his father's farm attending school.  When twenty-two he taught one term of school, and in the spring of 1846 he helped raise Company D, Second Ohio, for the Mexican war.  The regiment was commanded by Colonel G. W. Morgan; Simeon Tucker was elected Captain of the company; he resigned and Captain Abram Siford succeeded him.  Captain Stiers was first appointed Sergeant of the company and afterward promoted to Orderly.  The company left Logan in June, 1846; went to Mexico via New Orleans and Brazos Island, returning home at the expiration of the service, in July, 1847.  Mr. Stiers then remained on his father's farm until fall, when he made up his mind either to get married or to go to California.  He began first to look for a wife and was fortunate in finding a most estimable young lady, Miss Elizabeth Wolf, to whom he was married Dec. 9, 1847.  She was born at Wolf's Plains, Athens Co., Ohio, Oct. 17, 1827, the daughter of Christopher and Rhoda (Dorr) Wolf, who were among the earliest settlers of Athens County.  They had a family of seven sons and three daughters, Mrs. Stiers being the youngest.  After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Stiers settled on the old Wolf farm in Starr Township, Hocking County, where they still reside.  They are both members of the Methodist Episcopal church.  They have had ten children, all living - Vernon C., born Mar. 21, 1849, was married Mar. 18, 1875, to Leah Rannells, the daughter of Thomas and Mahala Rannells, and resides on a farm near Creola, Vinton County.  Irene was born Feb. 4, 1851, and was married Sept. 6, 1871, to O. C. Pierce, a native of Underhill, Chittenden Co., Vt.  He is agent and telegraph operator for the C., H. V. & T. R. R., at Haydenville.  Stephen Stiers was born Nov. 31, 1852, and was married Dec. 31, 1877, to Kate Russel, a native of England, and resides in Jefferson County, Kas.  Wilson Homer Stiers was born Aug. 5, 1856, and was married May 3, 1882, to Cora Saumenig, a native of Logan, and resides on the old homestead.  Flavius J., born Nov. 16, 1858; Ada May, May 23, 1861; Lizzie, Jan. 31, 1864; Wilford M., Aug. 21, 1866; Zoa, Jan. 20, 1873; Albert H., Oct. 29, 1876, reside on the old homestead with their parents.  Captain Wilford Stiers is not only one of the old settlers of Hocking County, but is also one of her leading farmers and citizens.  At the outbreaking of the late war he assisted in raising Company F, Fifty-eighth Ohio Infantry.  He enlisted as a private but was appointed Lieutenant, and was afterward elected Captain of the company; remained in the service eighteen months, when he was compelled to resign on account of poor health.  He then returned home and has since confined his attention to farming and breeding fine stock, paying especial attention to fine Spanish Merino sheep, and has one of the finest-bred and best trained sheep and cattle dogs in the country and has sold dogs to leading farmers and stock-men in this and other States.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1063
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
SAMUEL STIVISON, farmer, third son of Barnabas and Eve (Mathias) Stivison, was born near Logan, Ohio, Aug. 11, 1823.  He was but five years of age when his father died.  He then lived with friends two years, and at seven years of age bound to Martin Goss, Sr., and lived with him until sixteen years of age, working on a farm and attending the common schools.  When sixteen years of age he began working for himself on the Hocking Canal.  He was the only native-born hand in the crew where he worked.  During the year 1840 he removed to Adair County, Mo., with Michael Clern, and was in Clern's employ, building mills and other work, for eighteen months.  He then returned to Falls Township, and August, 1844, purchased the farm where he resides, and has been engaged in farming.  At the time he removed to his lands all was an unbroken forest.  His first cleared lands were devoted to the growth of tobacco.  In May, 1846, he enlisted in the Mexican war in Company D., Second Ohio Infantry, at Logan, Ohio, as a private for one year.  He, was his command, went to Mexico, by way of Cincinnati and New Orleans.  Their passage from New Orleans to Mexico was by the slow sailing vessels.  He was at Palo Alto, Brazos Island, Matamoras, and first saw General Scott at Comargo.  They met with many deprivations on the march from Comargo to Monterey, and were opposed by Mexican lancers twenty times the American force.  After severe fighting the Mexicans were defeated.  He has served as Trustee of Falls Township eight years.  He is a Master Mason, member of Mingo Lodge, No. 171, Logan, Ohio.  Apr. 26, 1849, he married Susanna, daughter of Frederick and Leah (Fought) Friesner, of Falls Township.  They have had eight children, two sons and two daughters now living - Lewis; Elizabeth, wife of John Davis of Jackson County, Kas.; Samuel E. and Ida A. at home.  Solomon F., their oldest son, and Simeon, the fourth child, were drowned in Hocking River, June 4, 1865.  Solomon F. was fifteen and Simeon was ten years of age.  Their cousin, Frederick Goss, was drowned at the same time; a daughter, Leah, wife of Lewis Eckhart, of Van Wert, Ohio, died in the twenty-second year of her age.  Mr. Stivison remembers when the present site of Logan was a dense hazel thicker and a great resort for hazel-nutting by the children and young people.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 999
  Green Twp. -
GROVE STODDARD
, son of Pomeroy Stoddard (deceased), a native of Vermont, was born Dec. 29, 1833, in Lebanon, Warren Co., Ohio, where he was reared and educated.  He worked on his father's farm till thirty-one years of age, when he went to Cincinnati and was employed by S. H. Burton & Co. as bookkeeper for six years, when the firm sold out to parties who organized the Greenwood Stove Company, and he remained with them nearly six years in the same capacity.  In 1877 he entered the employ of Craft's Iron Company, where he remained as superintendent till March, 1883, when he was retained by the new company, viz., the Columbus & Hocking Coal and Iron Company, as head clerk and bookkeeper.  He was married Dec. 17, 1861, to Matilda A., daughter of James Duncan (deceased).  They have had two children - Mary E. and Minnie B., both deceased.  Mrs. Stoddard is a native of Cincinnati, born Aug. 12, 1838.  Mr. Stoddard has been Postmaster at the Greendale postoffice, located at Craft's Furnace, since its establishment in 1879.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1034
  Perry Twp. -
LEMUEL STONE, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Fauquier County, Va., Oct. 7, 1808.  When he was a child he came with his father's family to Ohio and located in Belmont County.  In 1838 they removed to Guernsey County, where he resided twelve years engaged in farming.  In the spring of 1850he came to Hocking County and settled on his present farm in Perry Township.  In 1853 he engaged in the mercantile business at South Perry, remaining there about three years and again returned to his  farm, and in 1859 again engaged in business for about a year and a half, still managing his farm.  He was married Mar. 20, 1838, to Miss Catherine McCormick.  They were the parents of six children, three now living.  Mr. Stone is a self-made man, having accumulated a large property by his own industry and careful management, and has a landed estate of 350 acres of improved land, of which he has provided his children each good homes.  His wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1125
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
JOHN WENDELL STRENTZ, superintendent of the Logan Manufacturing Company, was born in Lancaster, Fairfield Co., Ohio, Apr. 14, 1838.  His father died when he was nine years of age, and he was early thrown on his own resources.  When he was eighteen years of age he went to work for Isaac Groff, to learn the trade of a carpenter and joiner, serving an apprenticeship of three years.  He then worked for him as a journeyman one year, and in 1860 went to Cincinnati, remaining there a year.  He returned to Lancaster and worked for Mr. Groff till August, 1862, when he enlisted in Company I, Ninetieth Ohio Infantry, for three years, and was discharged at Washington, D. C., June 28, 1865.  He was in the battle of Stone River, where he was wounded.  In July, 1863, he was left by his regiment in the hospital at Manchester; he was soon after removed to Tullahoma, Tenn., and was in the hospital there a month, when, convalescing, he was sent to Nashville.  He remained there three weeks and was then sent to Louisville, Ky., remaining there two months, after which he was transferred to Company G, Seventh Regiment, Veteran Reserve Corps, and sent to Cincinnati on guard duty.  In June, 1864, he was sent to Washington, and remained on guard duty till his discharge.  He went out as Fourth Sergeant, and after his transfer to the reserve corps was promoted to Orderly Sergeant.  He was at Washington at the time President Lincoln was assassinated, and his company was detailed as guard to Vice-President Johnson.  After his discharge he returned to Lancaster and resumed contracting and building.  In September, 1872, he came to Logan and worked as a mechanic till February, 1879, when he was employed in his present position.  In April, 1882, he was elected Councilman of Logan.  Nov. 2, 1865, he was married to Lou P. Ford, of Lancaster.  They have three children - Estella, William and Mary.  Mr. and Mrs. Strentz are members of the Methodist church.  He is a member of Hocking Valley Lodge, No. 262, and Hockhocking Encampment, No. 28, I. O. O. F.; Logan Lodge, No. 19, K. of P., and James K. Rochester Post, No. 140, G. A. R.  He represented his lodge in the Grand Lodge of the Knights of Pythias in May, 1883.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 998
  Perry Twp. -
ALLEN STROUS, a native of Perry Township, born Sept. 26, 1826, was a son of Jacob and Mary (Rusledoffer) Strous, natives of Pennsylvania.  His father, in company with Adam Devenham, was the first white man to settle in this township.  Allen now living on a portion of the land first settled by his father.  He was married Mar. 18, 1849, to Mary Friend, daughter of William and Sarah (White) Friend, natives of Pennsylvania.  They have five children - Sarah, now Mrs. Joel Hoey; Elizabeth, now Mrs. Samuel Scott; Samuel, who married Eliza J. Harman; George and Asa.  Mr. Strous has always lived on the old homestead.  He had 277 acres of his father's estate, a part of it being where Laurelville now stands, but has sold portions of it till he now has but 210 acres.  He is living in a large, stone dwelling built seventy years ago.  During the late war he was drafted twice but paid $300 for a substitute one time and was released by the Government the other.  Mr. and Mrs. Strous joined the Baptist church in 1871.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1125
  Perry Twp. -
JOEL H. STUMP
, born Feb. 12, 1832, on the farm where he now lives, is a son of Joel and Barbara (Hoey) Stump, the former a native of Pennsylvania, the latter of Kentucky.  His father was in the war of 1812 and died in 1868.  His mother died in 1879.  Mr. Stump was married Oct. 4, 1869, to Margaret, daughter of John and Mary (May) West.  They are the parents of nine sons, eight of whom are living - Thomas J., Benjamin F. (died Feb. 6, 1881), and George E., Isaac N., William M., Joel H., Amer P., Byron N. and Martin V.  Mr. Stump takes great interest in the education of his children, and the two oldest are now teachers in the public schools of the county.  He has a farm of 127 acres, all well improved.  He has been a member of the Methodist church since 1850.  Mr. Stump was Justice of the Peace fifteen years and has been School Director of his district twenty-one years.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1126
  Washington Twp. -
THOS. SWEPSTON, M. D., born in Gallia County, Ohio, Mar. 10, 1825.  His father was John H. Swepston, a native of Pittsylvania County, Va.   There he married Winnie Bruce.  In 1823, with a family of six children, he came to Ohio locating in Springfield Township, Gallia County.  He moved in 1830 into Richland Township, Vinton County (then Jackson County), and settled on a farm.  Mrs. Swepston died in 1874 and her husband in 1876.  They had fourteen children, seven sons and seven daughters, all of whom lived to be themselves parents.  Dr. Swepston was reared in Richland Township, Vinton County, living with his father till his twenty-first year.  During this time he worked on the farm and attended the district school.  He then hired out for one summer.  The next winter he attended school.  The following summer he was in school at McArthur and the next winter began teaching and continued in that vocation five winter terms.  He began in 1852 the study of medicine with Dr. Joseph Wilcox, of Allensville, under whose tutelage he became a physician.  In 1856 he located at New Mount Pleasant, situated on the line between Hocking and Vinton counties, where he commenced the practice of medicine.  He attended lectures at the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery during the sessions of 1857-'8.   He has continually practiced here, and during a period of seven years was in partnership with Dr. John Holland, an old practitioner in this region.  His practice has been large and very successful.  He has been a Master Mason about seventeen years, and has held many offices in the lodge, and at present is Senior Deacon.  He was married in 1849 to Love Samantha Darby, who was born in Richland Township, Vinton County.  They have had six children, of whom four are now living - Salina M. (decased), Pickney A., Kenzy P., Edna A., Mayo B., and one dying in infancy.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1086

NOTES:

 



 
CLICK HERE to Return to
HOCKING CO., OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights