OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
HOCKING COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

Source: 
History of Hocking Valley, Ohio -
Published Chicago:
by Inter-State Publishing Co.
1883

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to 1883 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >

  Benton Twp. -
SOLOMON PARRISH, born in Baltimore County, Md., July 24, 1806, is a son of Joshua and Sarah Parrish.  His parents moved to Belmont County, Ohio, in 1809, where he was reared and educated.  He commenced to learn the blacksmith's trade when seventeen years of age and worked at it in Belmont County till January, 1833.  He then went to Tuscarawas County and remained till 1854.  In October of the latter year he came to Hocking County and located in Benton Township.  He has made farming his chief occupation, and now owns 252 acres of fine land.  Feb. 21, 1828, he married Elizabeth Jones, a native of Montgomery County, Md.  They are the parents of ten children, five only now living - Amanda, born Sept. 30, 1832; Thomas, Oct. 7, 1834; Marion, Dec. 23, 1839; Abraham R., Sept. 19, 1842, and Esther V., Sept. 24, 1847.  Mr. and Mrs. Parrish joined the Methodist Episcopal church at West Union, Tuscarawas County, Mar. 12, 1837.  Their family are all members of the church here.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1096
  Ward Twp. -
LYNUS B. PELTON
, late of Ward Township, Hocking Co., Ohio, was born in Connecticut, Oct. 5, 1814.  His father, Samuel Pelton, was a tailor, and came to Ward Township in 1853, where he died June 28, 1857.  Our subject also came here at the same time.  He was married Sept. 23, 1838, to Hettie M. Woodruff, a daughter of Daniel and Hannah Woodruff (deceased).  The former was a blacksmith.  They had four children - Charlotte L., Julia A., Rachel E. (deceased), and Mary A.  Mr. Pelton died Oct. 15, 1877. 
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1020
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
PARLEY PHELPS, of Oreville, Falls-Gore, was born near Crossenville, Perry Co., Ohio, June 7, 1843, a son of Renodyne Phelps, also a native of Perry County.  Our subject's Grandfather Phelps was a very early settler in Perry County, where Renodyne was born in 1807.  Mr. Phelps served as a soldier in the late war in Company D, Thirty-first Ohio Infantry, and participated in the battle of Stone River, Chickamauga, Pittsburg Landing, Perryville, Ky., Hoover's Gap, Tenn., and Mineral Springs, Ky.  He was wounded and taken prisoner at Chickamauga, where he was kept nine days on the battle-field, then paroled.  He came to Camp Chase, and was exchanged the following May.  After the war he prepared himself for a teacher, and taught sixteen months, when, in 1870, he engaged in the mercantile business in Old Gore; removed the store to New Gore in 1871, and to Oreville in 1872, where he has since resided, and carries on a good business.  He was married Dec. 14, 1871, to Margaret T., daughter of John Nutter, of Green Township.  They have four children - Cora E., Hester C., Maud M. and Samuel N.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 980
 

Washington Twp. -
PETER PLEUKHARP
was born Oct. 15, 1824, in Hocking County, Ohio.  His father, Peter Pleukharp, was a native of Germany, and when about twenty-five years of age came to the United States and settled in Fairfield County, Ohio, where he remained two years, and while there he was married to Margaret Goss, also a native of Germany.  In 1822 he came to Falls Township, Hocking Co., Ohio, where he entered land, and remained in the township till his death, which occurred in Logan, Nov. 3, 1850.  He had at the time of his death 323 acres of land, and also some property in Logan.  His wife died in Fairfield County.  They were the parents of thirteen children of whom ten are living.  Peter Pleukharp was reared in Falls Township, and lived with his parents till he attained his majority.  Oct. 18, he was married to Catherine Clark, a native of Falls Township.  They have six children - Mary Emily and Sarah Ann (twins), the former married to George Keifer, of Ward Township, and the latter to Clinton Walker, of Licking County, Ohio; Maggie, wife of Frank Leamon, of McArthur, Vinton County; Eli and Clara, residing at home.  After his marriage he lived eighteen months a mile south south of Falls Mill, when he moved on his father's old homestead which he rented for three years.  In 1852 he purchased his present place in Washington Township, buying at first eighty acres; by subsequent purchases he has at present 155 acres.  In 1878 he united with the Scotch Creek Baptist church, in Falls Township.  Politically he has always been a Republican.   George Clark, the father of Mrs. Pleukharp, was a native of Virginia, born Oct. 16, 1786, settled in Fairfield County, Ohio, where he lived two years.  He then went to Scotch Creek, Hocking County, where he entered forty acres of land, but at different times added to it, so that at his death he had 345 acre, a part of which was previously deeded to his children.  Mr. Clark married for his second wife Mary Harris, also a native of Virginia, by whom he had seven children, three sons and four daughters, all of whom are living. He died on the place he settled, Nov. 16, 1878, after living on it over sixty years.  His wife departed this life about eleven months previous.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1082

  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
WILLIAM EDGAR PLEUKHARPE, Assistant Secretary of the Motherwell Iron and Steel Works, was born in Falls Township, Hocking Co., Ohio, Dec. 25, 1854, a son of Daniel and Hannah A. (North) Pleukharpe.  When he was sixteen years of age his parents moved to Logan.  He attended the common schools till eighteen years of age, when he took a commercial course in the Zanesville Business College, graduating in 1873.  In 1874 he was employed as clerk in the grocery store of H. C. Smith, remaining with him till 1877.  He was then employed as weighmaster and bookkeeper for Culver & Stalter, dealers in lime and limestone, till 1879.  In the fall of the later year he was employed as manager and bookkeeper in the store of the Winona Iron Company, remaining there till December, 1881.  He then went to Columbus and engaged in the grocery business till January, 1883, when he sold out and accepted his present position.  Nov. 15, 1882, Mr. Pleukharpe married Margaret Boies, of Perry County, Ohio.  He is a member of the First Presbyterian Church, of Logan.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 980
  Marion Twp. -
NOAH POLING, section 36, Marion Township, was born in Rush Township, Fairfield Co., Ohio, Nov. 22, 1825.  His father, Samuel R. (deceased), a native of Maryland, came to Ohio over seventy years ago, and in 1829 brought his family to Hocking County, where our subject has since resided.  His mother, Elizabeth (Stamey) Poling, drew a pension, as her husband was a soldier in the war of 1812, under George Sanderson, of Fairfield County, Ohio.  She departed this life Mar. 29, 1882, aged eighty-eight years.  Noah Poling was married Apr. 12, 1849, to Mrs. Susannah Rhoads, daughter of Isaac Red.  They were the parents of ten children, eight of whom are still living - Alnora J. (McGlougin), Samuel and Elizabeth (twins), Sarah A., Dwight A., JAmes T., Margaret  and John O.  He has nearly 184 acres of land, his business being that of a farmer and stock-raiser.  He has been Township Trustee one year, and Trustee of the Infirmary five years, and has also held other smaller offices.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1156
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
MAYNARD POND, son of Erastus and Sarepta (Stanton) Pond, was born at Rushville, N. Y., Sept. 15, 1837.  He was elected in the public schools of his native place till 1853, when he left home and came to Logan, where he was employed by his father, a contractor on the Scioto & Hocking Valley Railroad, until the following year., and in 1855 returned to Logan, where he was variously employed till 1860.  In that year he took the contract to carry the United States mail from Portsmouth, Ohio, to Guyandotte, W. Va., making his home at Ironton, Ohio.  He remained in the mail service until the spring of 1861, when he enlisted in the Union service, under Captain John S. George, in an independent company of cavalry, known as Company A.  At the expiration of his term of service he, in October, 1861, re-enlisted in Company H, Fifth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, to serve three years, and during his whole service he was Orderly Sergeant of his company.  He participated in the battle of Pittsburg Landing, and a number of cavalry skirmishes, in the last of which he was injured by his horse falling on him, after which he was in the hospital at various places till Aug. 26, 1862, when he was discharged for disability.  He then returned to Logan, but soon after went to Eau Claire, Wis., where he was engaged in lumbering and farming till 1879, when he again took up his residence in Logan, where he has since been engaged in farming and stock-raising.  In March, 1860, he married Miss Janet Anderson, of Logan, by whom he has had eight children, viz.: Hattie, Myron S., Willis M., Charles A., Sarah E., Frank B., FAnny S. and Florence A.  Mr. Pond and wife are members of the First Presbyterian Church.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 981
  Green Twp. -
I. G. POSTON, Green Township, was born in Nelsonville, Ohio, Sept. 3, 1854, a son of Lorenzo D. Poston (deceased).  Our subject was reared in Nelsonville and educated at that place and in Duff's Commercial College, Pittsburg, Pa.  He was married May 15, 1878, to Josephine, daughter of Joseph Mercer (deceased), and has been blessed with two children - Edwin and Blanche.  He is engaged in dealing in thoroughbred draft and trotting horses, having a number of very fine horses of the Clydesdale and Spartan stock, among them being Fanny Clyde, Sparton, Jr., and Madrid.  He is doing a good business and is the owner of 300 acres of land.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1035
  Green Twp. -
WINFIELD S. POSTON, section 21, Green Township, was born at Nelsonville, Ohio, Oct. 30, 1852, a son of L. D. Poston (deceased).  He was reared and educated in his native town, and also attended Eastman's Commercial College, Poughkeepsie, N. Y.  He then clerked in his father's store in Nelsonville for three years, and in 1878 came to his present farm.  He owns 300 acres, his business being that of a farmer and stock-raiser.  His house is a two story brick, situated on a beautiful eminence overlooking the Hocking Valley bottoms, railroad and canal.  He was married Apr. 12, 1877, to Flora, daughter of Joseph Wilson (deceased).  They are the parents of one child - Bertie.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1035
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
AARON AIKIN PRICE, contractor and builder, Logan, was born in McConnelsville, Morgan Co., Ohio, Feb. 20, 1837, the third of four sons of William P. and Sarah (Hanesworth) Price.  When an infant his parents came to Hocking County, settling in Washington Township.  When he was seven years of age his father died.  He remained with his mother till twelve years of age, and then went to live with a married sister in the same neighborhood, making his home with her till seventeen years of age.  He worked in Pickaway and Hocking counties the next two years, and when nineteen began to learn the carpenter's trade of Samuel Price (a cousin), working with him till 1860.  In the spring of that year he went to Putnam County, Mo., thence to Wisconsin, returning to Morgan County, Ohio, the following fall.  In June, 1863, he enlisted in Company I, First Ohio Heavy Artillery, for three years.  He had been drafted in 1862, but was rejected on account of a crippled arm.  He was in the Army of the Cumberland in Kentucky and Tennessee, and was promoted to Corporal.  He was discharged Aug. 2, 1865, and returned to Hocking County to his mother's farm.  The following October his mother died.  He remained on the farm and worked at his trade till the spring of 1867 when he went to Deerfield Township, Morgan County, and worked with Samuel Price till the following fall.  They then went to McConnelsville and worked in a sash and door factory till 1870, when he came to Logan.  He has had the contract for building Band's Iron Works, Thomas's Iron Works, Craft's Iron Works, the furnaces of the Hocking Iron Company and many of the substantial buildings and bridges in Hocking County.  June 10, 1858, he married Minerva E. Remsen of Tridelphia, Morgan County.  They have had four children - William P., Mary Elizabeth, Walter Cassius and Sarah Violet  The latter died in November, 1869, aged six years.  Mr. and Mrs. Price are members of the Methodist church.  He is a Master and Royal Arch Mason, a member of the lodge and chapter at Logan.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 981
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
FRANCIS S. PURSELL, son of Daniel Elizabeth (Lacock) Pursell, was born at Portsmouth, Ohio, Aug. 13, 1846.  He was educated in the public schools of Portsmouth, graduating from the same in 1866.  He had been through part of the war with a brother who was a soldier, but, being too young, was not enlisted, although making several attempts.  He saw active service, but never engaged in the same.  He studied law with Judge A. C. Thompson in 1866-'68; was admitted to the bar in Portsmouth in 1868, and entered into partnership with Judge Martin C. Crain.  He remained in practice with him one year, and then entered the office of Judge A. C. Thompson, then Probate Judge of Scioto County, remaining two years, after which he practiced alone until 1872.  Mr. Pursell was married in 1872 to Alma C. Wright, of Logan, sister of Judge Silas H. Wright, of Lancaster.  He opened a law office in Logan in 1872, and practiced about six months, when other business took all his attention.  He owned and ran the drug store now owned by Reber & Co., in Logan, from December, 1872, on March, 1881, when he sold out to the present owners.  He started the Hocking Valley Gazette, in connection with Mr. Brook, in February, 1877, and has been editor and publisher of the same up to the present time.  He was appointed by Governor Bishop one of the Trustees of the Athens Insane Asylum, remaining such through Governor Bishop's administration.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 982

NOTES:

 



 
CLICK HERE to Return to
HOCKING CO., OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights