OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
HOCKING COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

Source: 
History of Hocking Valley, Ohio -
Published Chicago:
by Inter-State Publishing Co.
1883

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to 1883 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >

  Ward Twp. -
J. H. JACKSON
, born Sept. 11, 1820, is a son of Robert Jackson, who was born in Pennsylvania, Aug. 8, 1795.  He came to Athens County, Feb. 25, 1837, where he lived thirty years, and in 1867 came to Ward Township, Hocking County.  Mr. Jackson was educated in the common schools of Ohio, in the old-fashioned log houses and by studying at home, there not being sufficient schools and teachers at that time.  He was married Mar. 21, 1844, to Mary Bean.  They have three children - O. D., the founder of Jacksonville, Ohio; Mrs. E. V. Randolph, and Mary L.  Mr. Jackson served 100 days in the late war, and was discharged in September, 1864.  He has served as Assessor four terms and was Enrolling Clerk in the war.  He was Census Enumerator in 1881, and submitted about the best report sent to the census office.  He is a farmer and has a very pleasant home of 160 acres of land on section 14, Ward Township.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1019
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
CHARLES WORTH JAMES, a retired merchant of Logan, was born near Winchester, Va., Dec. 25, 1811.  When about nine years old he went with his parents, Elijah and Margaret (Didenhover) James, to Loudoun County Va., settling near Union.  He was educated in the ordinary subscription schools of that day.  On leaving home he was employed as clerk in the store of John Francis, at Mountsville, Va., remaining with him over one year, when he was employed in a country store in Loudoun County, by Joseph W. Richardson, with whom he remained eighteen months, when, in November, 1832, his employer removed his goods to Logan, Ohio, and Mr. James was sent in charge of them.  He carried on the mercantile business for Mr. Richardson, who remained in Virginia, until 1835, when the store was sold and our subject was engaged in settling up the business.  In 1835 he was elected Recorder of Hocking County, and re-elected in 1836, filling the position six years.  In 1837 he was appointed by the Associate Judges of Hocking County, clerk of the Court of Common Pleas for a term of seven years.  At the expiration of his term in 1844 he was re-appointed for a term of seven years.  In1850 he was elected Representative of Hocking County to the General Assembly of Ohio, and resigned his clerkship to accept the office.  In the fall of 1850 he was re-elected Representative.  In the Assembly of 1851 the time of office of Representative was made two years instead of one, so Mr. James served as Representative three sessions.  Nov. 1, 1832, he was married to Martha Brown, of Beaver Dam, Loudoun Co., Va.  They have eight children - William Franklin, a clerk in Logan; Mary Ellen, relict of A. J. Smith, of Logan; Charles Wesley, also a clerk of Logan; Martha Ann, wife of C. C. Norton of Greenfield, Ohio; Thomas E., of Logan; James Henry, of Columbus, Ohio; John Clinton and Alfred Cushing, of Logan.  Mr. and Mrs. James have been members of the Methodist Episcopal church of Logan since 1834.  He is a Master, Royal Arch and Council Mason, and is a member of Mingo Lodge, No. 171, and of Logan Chapter, No. 75, of which he is Principal Sojourner, and is Past High Priest.  He is also a member of Hockhocking Council, No. 39, of which he was Thrice Illustrious Master for seven years.  He is also an Odd Fellow, and a member of Hocking Valley Lodge, No. 162, of which he is Past Grand.  For several years he was associated with J. L. Collins in the mercantile business at Logan, under the firm name of J. L. Collins & Co.  In 1860 he gave his interest to his two sons, William T., and Charles W., and retired from that business.  He afterward became associated with William Dewar, and purchased a partial interest in the Hocking Falls flouring mills at Logan, and was engaged in milling some two or three years, when the mill burned.  They then rebuilt and continued business some time, when it was sold on partition, and they then built the present Hocking Mills, being associated with William Dewar and A. J. Wright.  He afterward sold his interest and retired from that business, when he purchased a farm in the vicinity of Logan, where he pursued farming until 1881, when he sold his farm, retired from business, and took up his residence at Logan.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 962
  Starr Twp. -
SAMUEL JONES, deceased, late of Starr Township, was born in Pennsylvania, Nov. 27, 1809.  His father, William Jones, was also a native of Pennsylvania, and of English descent.  Mr. Jones a native of Pennsylvania, and of English descent.  Mr. Jones came when a boy with his parents to Guernsey (now Noble) County, Ohio, where he was reared on a farm.  He there married Sarah Woolf, Dec. 27, 1831.  They had fifteen children:  of these ten are living - William, John, Malinda (Mrs. Smith), Elizabeth (Mrs. Howe), Thomas T., Mary Ann, Lucinda, Alexander M., Ames M. and Flora E.  Two sons, Joseph B. and Solomon W., lost their lives while in the service of their country during the Rebellion.  The former died a prisoner in Andersonville, and the latter was killed in the battle of Chancellorsville.  One daughter, Sarah, died when a young lady, and two died in infancy.  Mr. Jones brought his family to Starr Township in 1838, and settled almost in the woods, there being but a few acres cleared.  He was a hard worker and good manager, and prospered and grew wealthy.  His business was that of a farmer and stock-raiser, and at the time of his death he owned 950 acres of valuable land.  He died Mar. 14, 1866, loved and respected by all.  He was a church member for many years, and a Freemason in good standing.  His purse was ever open to help the worthy poor, and he gave largely for the support of churches, schools and other benevolent enterprises.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1034
  Ward Twp. -
A. A. JUNIPHER
, born Mar. 31, 1827, in Athens County, is a son of George and Phoebe Junipher.  His mother died about 1840, and his father in 1869.  Mr. Junipher moved to ward Township when he was about sixteen and settled on the Codner place.  He afterward moved to the Wilcox place where he now lives.  He was married Feb. 9, 1869, to Julia Bartlet, a daughter of Silvanus and Amanda Bartlet, of New Plymouth, Vinton County.  They have one child - May AddieMr. Junipher is Township Trustee.  He owns 377 acres of good land.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1019

NOTES:

 



 
CLICK HERE to Return to
HOCKING CO., OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights