OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
HOCKING COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

Source: 
History of Hocking Valley, Ohio -
Published Chicago:
by Inter-State Publishing Co.
1883

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to 1883 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >

  Falls Twp. -
NOEL WILLIAM HAMBLIN, son of Cornelius and Sarah (Joseph) Hamblin, is a native of New York, being born near Bath, Steuben Co., N.Y., Mar. 11, 1844.  When he was ten years old his parents settled in Starr Township, Hocking Co., Ohio, where he was educated in the district schools and at the High School at Logan.  At the age of seventeen he began to teach school in Hocking County, and taught there three winters.  When he was nineteen he purchased a team and worked for the Five Mile Furnace Company two or three years.  He then, with his father, purchased a farm in Falls Township where he pursued farming two years when he sold it, purchasing another farm in Starr Township where he farmed and mined iron ore, that being a deposit on his land.  From 1870 till the fall of 1878 he followed farming exclusively in Starr Township, when he was elected County Treasurer of Hocking County, and was re-elected in 1881, this last term expiring September, 1883.  Mar. 13, 1866, he married Miss Lodema Skinner, of Starr Township.  They have seven children - Edward C., Winnie, George G., Charles E., Blanche, Robert N. and Clara.  Mr. Hamblin is an Odd Fellow of Hocking Valley Lodge, No. 362.  He and wife are members of the Berea Presbyterian church of Starr Township.  In 1881 he bought a farm in the vicinity of Logan on which they now reside.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 954
  Marion Twp. -
DAVID HAMILTON, deceased, was born in Pennsylvania, Mar. 19, 1825, and came to Ohio with his Grandfather Hines and lived with him until sixteen years of age.  His grandparents dying, he worked for his brother until twenty-one years of age.  He had no education until after his marriage.  At twenty-one years of age he began clearing land his grandfather gave him.  In 1856 he sold his farm and purchased land on Laurel Run.  Nov. 15, 1861, he enlisted in Company K, Fifty-eighth Ohio Infantry, as a private and was appointed First Sergeant of his company and served as such until his death.  He was engaged in the battles of Fort Donelson and Shiloh, and soon after the battle of Shiloh was taken sick with typhoid fever and died on the steamer Tycoon, 100 miles south of Cincinnati, May 13,  1862.  Dec. 21, 1845, he married Mary, daughter of Mathias and Hannah (Blosser) Lecrone, of Fairfield County.  They have five children - Noah, of Hocking County; Elizabeth, wife of J. N. Shaw, of Neosho County, Kas.; Minervah, Amos, Jacob, of Neosho, Kas.  Mrs. Hamilton sold the farm and settled the business and has purchased another farm, and her son Amos lives with her.  He is a school-teacher and manages her farm.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1153
  Washington Twp. -
JOHN HANSEL - The grandfather of the subject of our sketch, Henry Hansel, was a native of Pennsylvania, and moved from there to Fairfield County, Ohio, at an  early date.  In 1818 he moved his family to Hocking County, and settled on Scotch Creek, in Falls Township.  He reared a family of seven children, all now deceased.  George Hansel, the eldest son, was born in Fairfield County in 1806.  He was married in 1829 to Anna Mary Punsey, whose parents were from Pennsylvania, early settlers of Fairfield and Hocking counties.  She was born Feb. 5, 1805.  After his marriage he entered 160 acres of land three miles east of Logan where he resided till his death.  At the time of his death he had between 400 and 500 acres of land, and had also given each of his children $1,000.  He also had some town property in Logan.  He was a prominent member of the Lutheran church.  He died in August, 1870.  His widow is now living on the old homestead, aged seventy-eight years.  She is the mother of ten children, three sons and four daughters now living.  John Hansel was born Aug. 27, 1831.  He was married Dec. 23, 1853, to Emily Harden, a native of this township, born Mar. 29, 1834, and a daughter of Even Harden.  After his marriage he bought 181 acres of wild land, only a small portion being cleared.  On this place he lived seventeen years, and in 1870 purchased his present residence of 167 acres, having now 348 acres.  Feb. 1, 1879, his house was destroyed by fire.  He immediately erected his present house, which is a large two-story frame.  Politically Mr. Hansel is a Democrat.  Mr. and Mrs. Hansel have had ten children, only six now living - Ephraim, married Mary Armstrong; William married Wilmina Corter; Mary Ann, wife of C. F. Brandt; Almeda Jane, Sarah Cora and Benjamin Ruggles.  George Riley died at the age of seventeen years; Evan, aged fourteen; Eliza Jane, aged one, and one died in infancy.  They have one adopted child - Jacob Hansel, the son of a brother of Mr. Hansel.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1079

Jno. Hansen
Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore & City of Logan -
JOHN HANSEN, of the firm of Burgess & Hansen, attorneys at law, was born in Laurel Township, Hocking Co., Ohio, Dec. 8, 1838, a son of Samuel C. and Elizabeth (Kinser) Hansen.  He was educated in the common schools, adn when seventeen years of age commenced teaching, a vocation he followed at intervals for nineteen years.  Oct. 5, 1861, he enlisted in Company H, Fifty-eighth Ohio Infantry, for three years, and at the organization of the company was appointed Sergeant.  In July, 1863, he was appointed First Lieutenant and Regimental quartermaster and served in that capacity till his discharge, in January, 1865.  He participated in the battles of Fort Donelson and Shiloh and many others of less importance.  From September, 1862, till April, 1863, he was on detached duty as recruiting officer at Cincinnati, Ohio.  After his return home he purchased a farm in Laurel Township, which he carried on in connection with teaching.  While teaching he for a number of years studied law privately and was admitted to the bar by the District Court at Logan, in December, 1879.  In 1875 he was elected Clerk of the Courts of Hocking County, and served two terms of three years each.  He was Justice of the Peace of Laurel Township five years.  In February, 1882, he became associated with L. J. Burgess and commenced the practice of law.  In 1870 he was appointed Assistant Deputy United States Marshal to take the census of one of the three districts of Hocking County.  He has been a member of the Board of Education of Logan five years.  In 1880, at the organization of the Hocking County Children's Home, he was elected a member of the Board of Trustees, and drew up the constitution and by-laws adopted for the government of the institution.  Sept. 18, 1858, he married Mary M. McBroom, of Laurel Township.  They have six children - Robert W. Eudorah V., Charles M., Henry A., Jennie V. and John E.  One child, Pearly C., died in 1871, aged one year.  Mr. and Mrs. Hansen are members of the Methodist church.  Mr. Hansen is a member of J. K. Rochester Post, No. 140, G. A. R.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 955
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore & City of Logan -
ROBERT W. HANSEN, ex-Deputy County Clerk, Logan, Ohio, was born in Hocking County, Ohio, June 24, 1859.  At the age of fifteen he began teaching school in Laurel Township, and taught two years; then took a trip to Texas, traveled over Texas and then crossed the Indian Territory, stopping at various places; thence to Wichita, Kas.; then returned home and entered the High School and graduated in June, 1880.  He then taught school in Laurel Township some four or five months, after which he was offered the Secretaryship of the Logan Joint Life Protection and Relief Association, which he accepted and remained with this company one year, when the company removed to Wheeling, W. Va.  He then soon after was appointed civil engineer for the city of Logan, and some four months later was made assistant civil engineer for the consolidated coal and iron company at Floodwood, and held that position six months when the company dissolved.  Mr. Hansen then returned to Logan and opened the largest grocery store in Logan, and engaged in business until he failed.  He then began the study of medicine with Dr. J. H. Dye in Logan, with whom he still remains.  Mr. Hansen was married to Emma H. Rochester Sept. 20, 1882.  She was born in Logan, a daughter of Joseph Rochester, merchant of Logan.  Mr. Hansen is a member of Logan Lodge, No. 119, K. of P., and is the present Vice Chancellor of the lodge.  Is also a member of the A. O. U. W., Mingo Lodge, at Logan.  In politics he is a Democrat.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 955
  Washington Twp. -
EPHRAIM HARDEN, son of Even and Eliza Harden, was born in Perry County, Ohio, April 29, 1831.  In September of the same year he came with his father to Hocking County, where he was reared.  He was married March 30, 1854, to Susan Stiveson, born in Hocking County, May 18, 1835, and daughter of John and Elizabeth Stiveson.  They have four children - Joel, born July 8, 1855, married to Rachel Campbell; Eliza Jane, born Oct. 29, 1856, wife of Aaron Zeller; Lucinda, June 24, 1858, and Elmer, Sept. 8, 1865.  In June, 1856, he purchased eighty acres of land but did not reside on it till 1862.  In April, 1878, he purchased eighty acres, now having in one tract of land 160 acres, where he resides.  Politically Mr. Harden is a Democrat, having always voted that ticket.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1079
  Washington Twp. -
EVEN HARDEN, son of Ignatius and Rachel (Griffith) Harden, was born near Pleasantville, Fairfield Co., Ohio, Mar. 12, 1805.  He was reared in Perry County, and remained with his father till his death.  In 1831 he moved to Washington Township, Hocking Co., Ohio, where he lived nine years.  He bought his farm near Ewing in October, 1840, where he still resides.  He was married Sept. 20, 1827, to his cousin, Eliza Harden, born in Bedford County, Penn., May 10, 1810, and died Jan. 5, 1880.  They have had six children, three of whom are living - William E., married to Lucetta Harsh; Ephraim, married to Susanna Stiveson, and Emily, wife of John Hansel.  Politically Mr. Harden is a Democrat, he having cast his first Presidential vote for General JacksonIgnatius Harden was born in 1710, and was an old Revolutionary soldier.  In the fall of 1800 he moved to Fairfield County, and in 1805 he located in Perry County, where he remained until his death, which occurred in 1827, he having lived to be 117 years of age.  His wife died in the fall of 1856.  They reared a family of twelve children, seven sons and five daughters.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1079
  Starr Twp. -
JOSEPH W. HARNED,
section 28, Starr Township, was born in Preston County, W. Va., July 26, 1836.  His father, Edward Harned, deceased, was also a native of Preston County, and removed his family to Fayette County, Pa., in 1839.  Our subject came to this county in 1864.  He was a soldier in the late war, in Company I, One Hundred and Fifty-first Regiment, Ohio National Guards, for four or five months, and was present when Breckenridge made the charge on Washington City.  He married, Nov. 26, 1859, Miss Mary F. Guthrie, daughter of Absalom Guthrie, deceased.  They have had seven children, only five now living - Annie L., Walter, Jennie B., Lucy and Estella MayMr. Harned owns 207 acres of land and is engaged in farming and stock-raising.  He was Trustee of Starr Township for three years, and Ministerial Trustee for the past two years.  He and family are members of the Methodist church.  Mr. Harned is a member of the I. O. O. F.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1052
  Ward Twp. -
JOHN HARPER was born Jan. 4, 1833, and is a son of John Harper, who lived in Cincinnati, and died with cholera in 1832.  Mr. Harper was married Mar. 20, 1850, to Miss Annie Harrison, who came from England about two years previous to that time.  They have eleven children of whom ten are living - Catherine, Alice, Sarah, Benjamin, Lincoln, Lillie, Nira, Mary, Josephine and Blanche.  Martha died when she was about four years old.  Mr. Harper is a very successful farmer and has in his possession 100 acres of land, residing on section 14, Ward Township.  He sold $16,000 worth of coal land in the last year.  He is now, and has been for the last six years, Township Treasurer, and was Land Appraiser one year.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1018
  Falls Twp. -
SOLOMON HARSH, farmer, second son of John and Christina (Stiverson) Harsh, was born in Falls Township, Hocking Co., Ohio, Feb. 14, 1822.  At the age of twenty-one years he began farming for himself on his father's farm.  In 1848 he purchased lands in Laurel Township, and in a short time sold and purchased the farm where he now resides.  He owns and resides on the farm first settled by his grandfather.  He remembers when the State road was first opened, his father  and Uncle Daniel Harsh having  the contract for opening the road.  Also remembers the first horse-tracks seen on the new roads.  He has resided on the farm he owns since his birth, and has always farmed for a livelihood.  Dec. 9, 1847, he married Mary A., daughter of Frederick and Barbara (Houseman) Elick, of Falls Township.  They have had twelve children, six sons and three daughters now living - John S., of Wells County, Ind.; Emanuel C., of Mercer County, Ohio; Jacob F., at home; Daniel S., of Wells County, Ind.; George W. and Joel A., at home; Caroline, wife of Jacob Mathias, of Falls Township; Helena and Delilah, at home; William W., died at the age of thirty-four years in Cincinnati, Ohio; David A., at the age of twenty-three years; Lorenzo D. in infancy.  Mr. and Mrs. Harsh are members of the United Brethren church, he being Trustee.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 956
Falls Twp. -
REV. C. C. HART, of Logan. - Joseph Hart was born in Botetourt Co., Va., June 22, 1760.  At about twenty years of age he removed to the colony of Tennessee and located on the French Broad River.  In 1785 he was married to Miss Nancy Shanklin, of East Tennessee, and settled in Blount County near Marysville.  To them were born five sons and one daughter.  In 1810 the mother died, and the father married his second wife, Miss Mary Means, of Blount County, in the year 1812.  To them were born five sons.  The youngest, the subject of this sketch, Charles Coffin Hart, was born near Maryville, Tenn., Mar. 29, 1820.  In October, 1821, Mr. Hart, with his wife and four younger sons - one having died in infancy - emigrated to Indiana and settled on Clifty Creek, Bartholomew County, five miles east of Columbus.  Here Charles was brought up, working on the farm in the summer and going to a loud school in the winter.  In February, 1836, Charles went to Salem, Washington Co., Ind., and was indentured by his father as an apprentice to the cabinet-making business, in which capacity he served four years, until Feb. 10, 1840.  For the next three years he worked as a journeyman at his trade.  In may, 1843, he went to Marietta, Ohio, and entered the preparatory department of Marietta College.  When he left his home in Indiana he had $50 in silver, which he had earned the winter previous by teaching school for $12.50 per month and "boarding round."  He took his tools with him to Marietta and established a little shop near the college.  For five years he studied and worked at his trade, earning money enough to pay his current expenses, which was not more than $160 per annum, including clothing.  He graduated from college in the class of 1848.  He entered Lane Theological Seminary, Cincinnati, September, 1848, where he studied and worked at his trade for two years.  In May, 1850, he went to Columbus, Ind., and taught school ten months in the old "County Seminary."  In September of that year he was examined and licensed as a probationer for the gospel ministry by the Presbytery of Madison, then in session at Columbus.  In the spring of 1851 he visited Mississippi.  Being an abolitionist in sentiment he wished to see slavery and some of its practical workings in its stronghold, and for this purpose he spent five months on the cotton plantations on the Yazoo and Big Black rivers.  During this time he preached once in two weeks at the Madison Presbyterian church, located twenty-five miles north of Jackson, and composed of planters.  In October, 1851, he returned to Lane Seminary, pursuing his theological studies and preaching at Cleves, near the old residence of General William H. Harrison, and in June he graduated from the seminary in the class of 1852.  In July following he returned to Mississippi to reside in the family of his brother, Samuel Hart, at Carrollton, where for nearly four years he preached at Carrollton, Middleton and Greenwood churches, all in Carroll County.  He was ordained to the work of the gospel ministry in Carrollton, Jan. 1, 1853, by the Presbytery of New Lexington; and in the afternoon of the same day, in the presence of the Presbytery, he baptized his brother's son, Charles, and other children, and also several candidates for church membership.  In September, 1863, he was married in St. Louis, Mo., to Miss Olivia P. Studley, of Boston.  Miss Studley was the daughter of Dr. H. M. Studley, of Bradford, N. H., but being left an orphan when quite young, her brother, Edward A. Studley, who was doing business in Boston, educated her in the schools of that city.  After completing her education she went to Livingston, Madison Co., Miss., in 1849, to teach in a private family.  Here she continued for one year when she became a teacher in Bascom Female College, Grenada, Miss.  Here she became acquainted with her future husband, and while on a visit to her brother, R. P. Studley, of St. Louis, Mo., was married, Sept. 6, 1853.  Mr. Hart continued his ministerial services to the churches of Carroll County until February, 1856.  At that time the politicians of the South, arranging for the presidential campaign of that year, took the ground (at least in the State of Mississippi) that slavery was a divine institution, like the family, and hence must be perpetuated; and that every preacher in the State must defend it from the Bible.  But as Mr. Hart did not believe his doctrine, and could not advocate it, neither with nor without the Bible, he judged it to be his duty to leave the slave States.  Consequently he, with his wife and son, Edward Studley Hart, took a steamboat Feb. 10, 1856, at Greenwood, on the Yazoo River, for Vicksburg and thence to St. Louis, which journey occupied eleven days.  Leaving his little family in St. Louis, in the care of his brother-in-law, R. P. Studley, Mr. Hart set out, March 10, to look for a field for future labor.  Rev. Marcus Hicks, of Columbus, Ohio, advised him to visit Logan.  He reached Logan Mar. 29, 1856, and found a town of about 1,400 inhabitants, a Presbyterian church of fifty members that had had no stated preaching for more than a year.  He engaged to supply the church for one year, and continued to do so from year to year until Sept. 30, 1868, when the church at Shawneetown, Ill., gave him a call to become their pastor.  He began his labors with that church on the first Sabbath of October, 1868, and continued to be their Pastor for three years, during which time 125 members were added to the church.  The church at Logan being without a Pastor, Mr. Hart was invited to return to Logan, did so, and was installed Pastor of the church the 12th of November, 1871, returning to his old home where two sons and three daughters had been born, and where God had given him many spiritual sons and daughters, and where he has continued his labors to the present time, July 2, 1883.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 957
  Salt Creek Twp. -
CHRISTOPHER C. HAYNES, son of Christopher and Annie (Wiggins) Haynes, was born Feb. 28, 1846.  He was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools.  Jan. 24, 1867, he married Ella, daughter of George and Mary Crider.  They have one son.  He bought 100 acres of land in Pickaway County but lived there only a year.  Oct. 1, 1869, he sold his Pickaway County farm and bought 420 acres where he now resides, and has since bought forty acres more.  He is now having three pounds for fish made, covering one half an acre each.  He has a saw-mill that has the capacity for cutting 8,000 feet of lumber per day.  Mr. Hayes is one of the substantial men of this township, and is always ready to do all in his power for its welfare.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1101
  Salt Creek Twp. -
JACOB S. HAYNES, a native of Salt Creek Township, born July 16, 1842, is a son of Christopher and Annie (Wiggins) Haynes, natives also of Ohio.  His father died in the spring of 1859.  February, 1866, he married Maria, daughter of David and Jane (Smith) Dressback.  He located on 160 acres of fine land which was his share of his father's estate, and by industry and frugality has added to it from time to time till he has now 300 acres, with good frame residence and commodious farm buildings.  In November, 1863, he enlisted in Company M, Twelfth Ohio Cavalry, and was mustered out in October, 1865.  He participated in several skirmishes and was with General Burbridge on his march through Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee and South Carolina to Georgia.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1101
  Perry Twp. -
AMOS HEDGES, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Perry Township, Fairfield (now Hocking) County, Nov. 17, 1833, a son of Caleb and Mary (Clelen) Hedges.  His father was born March 4, 1789, and his mother, Feb. 2, 1794, near Georgetown, Md., of English descent.  They were married in 1814.  His father came to Ohio in 1812 and located the farm where our subject was born.  In the spring of 1813 he planted a cherry-tree, which at the present writing (1883) is three and one-half feet in diameter.  Mrs. Hedges died in February, 1856, and Mr. Hedges in October, 1875.  He had filled many offices of trust, both in the church and township.  Amos Hedges is still living in the house where he was born.  He was married Oct. 11, 1855, to Sarah J., daughter of George and Elizabeth (Shuck) Morgan, natives of Pennsylvania, who came to Perry Township in 1843.  They have had the following children - Caleb Russell, Clark (died October, 1876, aged sixteen years), Eliza, Mary S., Cora D., Emma May, Amos W., and two that died in infancy.  Mr. and Mrs. Hedges are members of the Methodist church.  Mr. Hedges has been Justice of the Peace since 1879.  He has a fine farm of 160 acres.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1118
  Perry Twp. -
JOSEPH HEDGES, merchant, Laurelville, was born in Salt Creek Township, Pickaway Co., Ohio, Oct. 2, 1818, a son of Joseph Hedges.  His father came to Ohio from Barbour County, W. Va., in 1802.  He was a very prominent man of the county, having been Sheriff a number of years, and at the time of his death, 1835, was County Auditor.  The subject of our sketch spent the earlier years of his life on a farm and worked a year at the carpenter's trade.  April 26, 1836, he was engaged as clerk for David King, of Tarlton, remaining with him two years.  He then worked for another firm several months, and in 1841 became established in the mercantile business for himself.  In 1856 he removed to Laurelville.  In 1863 he returned to Tarlton, and sixteen years later, Oct. 2, 1879, came again to Laurelville, where he is doing an extensive business.  July 16, 1841, he married Elizabeth J. Hamlin, a native of New Hampshire, born Mar. 13, 1820.  Eight children have been born to them, only five now living - Matilda, born in 1843; Mary, born in 1844; James H., of Tarlton, born Jan. 30, 1852; Anna, now Mrs. Edward Bitzel; William Henry, died in 1842; Leafy, died in 1861; Francis, born in 1845, died in 1852; Elizabeth, wife of John Burt, died in December, 1880.  Mrs.  Hedges died July 31, 1879.  Mr. Hedges was Mayor of Tarlton and a Commissioner of Pickaway County.  In 1883 he was elected Trustee of Perry Township.  He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.  He has been a member of the English church since 1837;  his wife was also a member of that church.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1118
  Falls Twp. -
REV. HENRY HENKEL, son of John and Katherine (Plack) Henkle, was born in Hesse, Germany, Oct. 4, 1845, where he lived until his sixteenth year.  In 861 he emigrated to the United States, settling first at Germantown, Montgomery Co., Ohio, where he worked on a farm for three years, when his parents also came to the United States.  He then went with them to Hancock County, near Pendleton, Ind., where he remained and worked on the farm until January, 1868, after which he went to Columbus, Ohio, and entered the theological department of the Capitol University, which he attended three terms.  He obtained his literary education by private study, having attended the schools in Germany till his fourteenth year.  He was ordained to the ministry at Columbus, Ohio, May 2, 1869, Professor W. F. Lehmann, M. Loy and E. Schmid officiating.  His first charge was the Evangelical Lutheran Zion's Church at Springfield, Ohio, where he officiated three years, when in September, 1872, he received a call from the Evangelical Lutheran St. Matthew's Church at Logan, being Pastor there till October, 1881.  About that time a division took place in his congregation on a theological question brought up in the Ohio Synod, when he, with a part of his congregation, dissenting, withdrew and organized the Lutheran Trinity Church, of Logan, of which he is now Pastor  He was married Nov. 24, 1870, to Miss Minnie Meyer, of Woodsville, Ohio.  They have five children, viz.: Ida S., Theodore H. T., Otto H. K., Theophil F. and Willie F. G.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 959
  Perry Twp. -
DAVID R. HOEY, born in Adams County, Va., Apr. 25, 1805, was a son of William and Julia A. (Stanley) Hoey, natives of Ireland.  When he was twenty years of age he commenced the manufacture of shingles, an occupation he followed a number of years.  In 1827, he married Jane Hutchison, a native of Maryland, born in March, 1809.  In 1833 they came to Ohio and resided in Wayne County four years.  They then came to Hocking County, at that time little more than a wilderness, and entered forty acres of wild land, where he has since resided.  He has by industry added to his farm from time to time till he now has 280 acre of fine, well-improved land.  Mr. Hoey is a self-made man, and one in whom the citizens of the township have confidence.  He is liberal, and by his influence and means contributes largely to all enterprises that will be of benefit to the county.  Mr. and Mrs. Hoey are the parents of eleven children, seven of whom are now living.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1119
  Perry Twp. -
WILLIAM J. HOEY, son of David R. and Jane A. (Hutchinson) Hoey, was born Jan. 2, 1828, in Adams County, Pa.  He was reared on a farm and educated in the common school.  Nov. 11, 1849, he married Eliza Reid, who died Sept. 6, 1855.  May 25, 1856, he married Leah Huffman.  Nine children have been born to Mr. Hoey, only six now living.  After his marriage he settled on the farm where he now lives, at that time containing forty acres, which he has since added to, and now owns sixty-three acres of good, well improved land.  During the late war he enlisted in Company A, Seventy-third Ohio Infantry.  He was stationed at Camp Logan, Ohio, about three months, and from there went to New Creek, Va.  Then to Clarksburg, where he was in charge of the hospital four months.  He was in the engagement at Morefield, Va., and was afterward sent to Frederick City, Md., where he had charge of the hospital two months.  He received his discharge at Seminary Heights.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1119
  Starr Twp. -
BENJAMIN A. HOSOM, of Belpre Township, Washington Co., Ohio, was born in Bristol Township, Morgan County, Jan. 24, 1825.  His father, Andrew Hosom, was born near Augusta, Maine, in 1777.  He was the father of eleven children, seven girls and four boys, of whom the subject of this sketch is the youngest.  Six of this number are living - Martha, Sarah, Andrew J., Elbridge G., Lydia and Benjamin A.  Andrew Hosom came to Muskingum County, Ohio, in 1815, and to Bristol Township, Morgan County, in 1816, and settled in the woods.  He died in Morgan County in 1867.  Our subject was reared on a farm, and received a common-school education.  For ten years he sold goods over the Southern part of Ohio, but for the past twenty-five years has been selling fruit trees in Central and southern Ohio, and West Virginia.  As a fruit-tree man Mr. Hosom has been eminently successful.  His motto has always been fair and honest dealing, and his business has constantly increased.  In 1872 he sold trees for a few orchards in the neighborhood of Nelsonville, to the amount of $1,100, and in the past two years he has sold $4,000 worth on the same territory.  He makes budded peaches a specialty, and has all the latest varieties, and one of the largest collections.  He has planted some of the best orchards in the State of Ohio.  He was married July 4, 1850, to Mary A. Beckett, by whom he has had ten children.  Of these eight are living - Andrew J. M., Henrietta A., Mary E., Clara A. and William B. (twins), Elmer E. and Everett E. A. (twins), and Eva Delle.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1053
  Laurel Twp. -
D. W. HOWDYSHELL
, son of Samuel and Sylva Howdyshell, is a native of Falls Township, Hocking County, Ohio, born May 2, 1843.  When he was three months old his parents  moved to Perry County, Ohio, where he was reared, spending his boyhood days in assisting on the farm and attending the common school.  When twenty-two years of age he came to Hocking County, and located in Laurel Township, where he now has a fine farm of 306 acres on section 36, and is making a specialty of sheep-raising.  He was married Sept. 9, 1866, to Mary Jane Metler, of this township.  They have two children - Sarah Matilda  and Hannah R.  Politically Mr. Howdyshell is a Democrat.  He has been Township Clerk three years, and is at present President of the Board of Education.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1137
  Marion Twp. -
NICODEMUS D. HUFFORD, M. D., third son of Christopher and Mary (Reaner) Hufford, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, June 14, 1826.  When twenty-one years of age he rented land, and the next two years, in connection with farming, studied medicine.  He then began teaching school, and continued reading medicine for three years.  He then located at Straitsville, Perry County, and practiced until 1861.  In August, 1861, he was commissioned as recruiting Lieutenant and enlisted in Company H, of the Sixty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was promoted to Captain of the company; was on special detail surgeon duty.  He was in the battles of Winchester, Va.  His command was then transferred to the Peninsula, from there to Fortress Monroe, Yorktown, Suffolk and Norfolk, and returned to Fortress Monroe, where he was discharged in December, 1862.  He returned to Straitsville, and resumed the practice of medicine, and in the winter of 1864-'65 attended lectures at the Columbus Starling Medical College and graduated in the spring of 1865.  He continued his practice at Straitsville until 1879 when he purchased the farm where he resides.  Feb. 25, 1847, he married Eliza J., daughter of Rev. Samuel and Rebecca (Igehagnes) Bright, of Hocking County, by whom he has one son - George A., of East Tennessee.  Four children are deceased - Samuel S., died, aged eighteen months; William J., aged fifteen months; Clara D., aged one year; Mary R., aged twenty-two years.  He was divorced from his wife in1876.  May 13, 1877, he married Frances, daughter of Joseph B. and Catharine (Leonard) Bright, of Hocking County.  They have one daughter - Mary H.  Himself and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1153
  Good Hope Twp. -
OWEN R. HULS, merchant, station and express agent, was born in Falls Township, Hocking County, Apr. 1, 1837, the son of William and Mary (Roberts) Huls.  His father a native of New Jersey, and his mother of Pennsylvania, came to Ohio about 1833 and located in Hocking County.  Our subject was reared on the farm and received his education in the common schools, attending the University at Westerville one term.  He began teaching school when eighteen years of age and taught thirteen years.  He was married in 1860 to Miss Ann M. Cupp.  They were the parents of two children - O. Willard and Wm. Howard.  His wife died Jan. 1, 1864.  He was again married Nov. 26, 1866, to Susan L. Cupp, a sister of his first wife.  They have seven children - Frank M., Chas. B. and Wm. L.  (twins), Cora, James C., Henry M., DaisyMr. Huls has held the office of Township Trustee for two terms, and now is a Justice of the Peace, serving his second term in this office.  He has been notary public for about eighteen years.  He and his wife are members of the Advent church.  Politically he is a Republican.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1145
  Good Hope Twp. -
CAPTAIN WILLIAM H. HULS, born in Falls Township, Apr. 1, 1837, is the son of William and Mary (Roberts) Huls.  The father was born in New Jersey, June 8, 1806; came to Ohio in 1827 and located at Canal Winchester where he became engaged on the canal locks which were being constructed at that place.  Here he was married, Oct. 22, 1829, to Mary, daughter of Owen and Letitia (Williams) Roberts.  They moved to Falls Township in 1836 where Mr. Huls worked on Bonner's lock, after which he became engaged in farming.  They joined the Methodist Episcopal church in 1830, in which they remained until 1848, when they joined the United Brethren church, of which they were members at the time of the father's death, Feb. 11, 1868.  The mother remained a member of hte above church until 1870, at which time she joined the Advent Christian church at Rockbridge, Ohio, of which she was a member at the time of death, June 15, 1874.  Both are buried in the Antioch cemetery.  Our subject remained with his parents until he reached his majority and received a common-school education.  He taught his first and last term of school in the Kline district during the winter of 1860.  At the breaking out of the late civil war he was engaged in learning the carpenter's trade, but Oct. 5, 1861, enlisted in Company H, Sixty-first Ohio Infantry, as a private; was soon elected Second Lieutenant, and Oct. 2, 1862, was promoted to First Lieutenant, and Jan. 1, 1864, to Captain, which commission he held at the close of the war.  During his service in the army he participated in several hard-fought battles, among which were Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Johnson' Landing, Miss., and was on the gun-boat Pittsburg when she ran the blockade of Vicksburg.  He was mustered out of the service at Columbus, Ohio, Jan. 14, 1865, after serving four years and three months.  On leaving his company he came to Rockbridge where he now resides.  He was married June 30, 1864, to Miss Elizabeth Weltner.  They have six children - A. Eugene, Iola Bell, Winona E., William M., Eva J. and Bertha E.  Mr. Huls was appointed notary public in April, 1882.  He and his wife are active members of the Advent Christian church.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1145
  Falls Twp. -
JAMES ELDER HUSTON, superintendent of the cabinet department and stockholder in the Logan Furniture Company, was born in Armagh, Indiana Co., Pa., July 18, 1822, a son of John D. and Margaret (Elder) Huston.  When he was three years of age his parents came to Ohio, settling in Putnam, but a year later removed to Madison, Perry County.  He attended the common schools till fifteen years of age, when he went to Norwich, Muskingum County, and became apprenticed to William Stephenson to learn the cabinet and chair-maker's trade, serving four years and five months.  He then worked as a journeyman till 1842, when he opened a cabinet shop at Loudonville, Ohio.  IN 1848 he removed his business to Somerset, remaining there till 1857, when he went to Lancaster and was employed as foreman of the painting department of the C. & M. R. R. shops.  In 1873 he came to Logan and became a stockholder in the Logan Manufacturing Company.  In 1880 he withdrew fro the company, and with others organized the Logan furniture company, of which he was secretary and treasurer till 1882; since then he has been superintendent of the cabinet department.  In May, 1844, Mr. Huston married Ann Prutzman, who died in June, 1866, leaving ten children, nine now living.  He afterward married Mrs. Mary J. Jenkins, who died in April, 1872, leaving no children.  His present wife was Miss Virlinda Bright, of Logan.  They have two children.  Mr. and Mrs. Huston are members of the Methodist church.  He is a Master, Royal Arch, Council and Knight Templar Mason, a member of the lodge at New Salem, chapter and council at Logan, and commandery at Lancaster.  He has passed the chairs of all excepting the commandery, of which he has been Prelate.  While in Somerset, Mr. Huston served as Mayor from 1851 till 1853.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 960

.NOTES:

 



 
CLICK HERE to Return to
HOCKING CO., OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights