OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
HOCKING COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

Source: 
History of Hocking Valley, Ohio -
Published Chicago:
by Inter-State Publishing Co.
1883
Pg. 813

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to 1883 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >

  Falls Twp. -
VINT FERGUSON, Superintendent of Gore Furnace, was born in Lawrence County, Ohio, Feb. 1, 1850, a son of John Ferguson, of South Point, Lawrence Co., Ohio.  Our subject was educated at Marshall College, Va., and at the Ohio State Normal School, Lebanon, Ohio.  Mr. Ferguson has been engaged in some department of the iron business since 1868.  He first began as bookkeeper for the Ohio Iron Furnace Company at Zanesville, in which capacity he several Ohio Iron Furnace Company at Zanesville, in which capacity he several five years.  He then was bookkeeper for the Baird Iron Company in Perry County six months.  He came to New Gore in April, 1877, and was bookkeeper here until Apr. 1, 1880, when he became general manager of the Thomas Iron Works (now Gore Furnace), and holds the same situation for the Columbus and Hocking Coal and Iron Company.  He was married June 19, 1875, to Miss Anna G. Church, daughter of Elijah Church (deceased, late of Zanesville, Ohio.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 948 - Chapt. XXXVI - Falls Twp., including Falls-Gore & City of Logan
  Perry Twp. -
NELSON FETHEROLF was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, July 24, 1845, a son of William and Mary (Culp) Fetherolf.  When he was a year old his parents came to Hocking County where he was reared and educated.  During the fall and winter of 1867 he taught school and educated.  During the fall and winter of 1867 he taught school, and the next two years worked on the farm teaching during the winter.  Nov. 12, 1868, he married Amelia E. Bailor, a native of Fairfield County, born Jan. 28, 1849, and a daughter of Samuel and Susan (Buzzard) Bailor.  They have five children - Rosalie, born Aug. 15, 1869; Missouri, Feb. 27, 1871; Minnie A. C., Sept. 12, 1872; Martha E., June 16, 1875; William N., July 30, 1877.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1116
  Ward Twp. -
I. FINLEY was born in Morgan County, Ohio, Sept. 23, 1845 and is a son of Samuel and Margaret Finley, who are both living.  Mr. Finley was educated in Morgan County in the public schools.  He moved to Straitsville in 1871, where he went into the drug business.  In 1873 he moved to Carbon Hill, where he again became established in the drug business in 1882.  He was married Aug. 30, 1871, to Miss Jennie Balding, a daughter of Lewis and Sarah Balding.  Mr. Balding was Justice of the Peace for about twenty years, and also Infirmary Director.  Mr. Finley has three children - Willard I., Delia and GraceMrs. Finley died Nov. 29, 1879.  Mr. Finley was the founder of Carbon Hill, which he laid out in 1873.  He is at present engaged in the drug business.  His political views are Democratic.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1018
  Benton Twp. -
W. B. FLEMING, son of Joseph and Jane E. (Middleton) Fleming, was born Apr. 4, 1836, in Virginia.  In 1842 his parents came to Ohio and settled in Licking County.  When sixteen years of age he went to work for David Waters as an apprentice to learn the trade of a millwright, and worked at that trade till 1861.  Apr. 27, 1861, he enlisted in Company D, Fourteenth Ohio Infantry, for three months.  In August, 1861, he enlisted in the Thirty-eighth Ohio Infantry, for a year, and participated in the battles at Phillipi, Laurel Hill and Carrick Ford.  July 19, 1862, he enlisted in the One Hundredth Ohio Infantry for three years.  During his patter term of enlistment he was in the engagement at Knoxville, through the Georgia campaign, the battles of Franklin and Nashville, then to Washington, Wilmington and Greensboro, where he was mustered out July 13, 1865.  He was married in September, 1869, to Miss M. J., daughter of John and Polly Brewer, of Tennessee.  He lived in Tennessee ten years after his marriage, working at his trade.  In 1881 he came to Ohio and located in Logan, and in August, 1882, came to Bloomingville.  He was elected Justice of the Peace Apr. 2, 1883.  He has been a member of the I. O. O. F. fraternity since 1858.  He is also a member of the Grand Army of the Republic.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1095
  Perry Twp. -
THADDEUS S. FLOYD, machinist, was born in Adams County, Pa., Mar. 29, 1837, the son of William and Mary (Allender) Floyd, natives of Pennsylvania, who came to Ohio in 1839.  When they reached Jackson County his mother died, and his father came with the family to Hocking County and located in Perry Township, where he remained till his death.  Our subject received a common-school education, and when he was about eighteen years of age he went to Washington Court-House, when he learned the machinist's trade, serving an apprenticeship of two and a half years.  He then entered the employ of the C. & M. R. R. as an engineer, and remained in that position about six months.  At the breaking out of the late civil war he enlisted, May 15, 1861, in Company I, Second Ohio Infantry.  He went from here with his regiment to Covington, Ky., where they remained about two weeks, and from there went to Lexington under General Nelson, and participated in many of the hard-fought battles, among which were Fort Donelson, Nashville, Perryville, Stone River and Battle Creek.  He was detailed Assistant Quartermaster under B. H. Bird, and while running a provision train from Nashville to Stephenson his train was derailed by guerrillas, severely injuring his spine and breaking his hip, which confined him to the hospital about seven months, and from which he still suffers at times.  In July, 1862, while at Keysburg, he was taken prisoner by General Terry's command, but was fortunately exchanged in a few days.  After serving faithfully about three years he received an honorable discharged and returned to his home, where he has since remained.  At the time of the accident to his train he was captured by the guerrillas and was taken to a rebel hospital, where he was confined for two months.  At the battle of Perryville, Ky., out of seventy-five men in his company who went in, our subject was one of eighteen who escaped uninjured.  He has held several township offices, and has always taken a great interest in the matter of education, ever willing to lend his aid to any laudable enterprise which will be of benefit and interest to the community.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1116
  Perry Twp. -
MRS. EVE FOGLER, daughter of Frederick and Elizabeth (Miller) Kibler, was born in Ross County, Ohio, Mar. 27, 1827.  Her father was a native of Germany and her mother of Pennsylvania.  She was married Jan. 9, 1861, to Henry Fogler, son of John and Catherine (Judy) Fogler, born Nov. 3, 1810.  He had previously married Margaret Armstrong, by whom he had five children, four now living - Mary, now Mrs. Daniel Lowery; Malinda, Cassie and Allen (twins).  Allen was married Dec. 15, 1881 to Lora HaynesMrs. Margaret Fogler died Oct. 4, 1859.  Mr. Fogler died Feb. 11, 1874.  Mrs. Eve Fogler has taken charge of the farm.  She has 318 acres of fine land and has proved herself to be fully capable of superintending its culture.  She has one son - John F.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1117
  Marion Twp. -
GEORGE W. FRASURE, farmer, second son of George and Mary (Ruble) Frasure, was born in Falls Township, Hocking Co., Ohio, May 10, 1838.  Soon after his birth his parents removed to Marion Township, where he lived with them until manhood working on the farm, receiving a common-school education.  In 1865 he purchased the farm where he resides and has been engaged farming and wool-growing, making fine stock sheep a specialty.  In April, 1879, he was elected Justice of the Peace of Marion Township and re-elected April, 1882.  Sept. 29, 1859, he married Mary, daughter of Peter and Margaret (Pultz) Beery, of Hocking County, by whom he has three children - Margaret E., wife of John H. Bright; Mary A., wife of William Risley, of Falls Township; and Amanda.  Malinda and Emerson died in infancy.  His wife died in 1871, aged thirty-one years.  She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.  May 21, 1872, he married Martha, daughter of Edward and Jemima (Fast) Tigner, of Hocking County.  They have three children - Charles A., Amanda J. and George W., all at home.  Alice C. died aged two years.  Himself and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1151
  Marion Twp. -
ISAIAH FRASURE, farmer and wool-grower, eldest son of George and Mary (Ruble) Frasure, was born in Auburn Township, Fairfield Co., Ohio, Aug. 9, 1829.  In 1831 his parents removed to Falls Township, Fairfield Co., Ohio, Aug. 9, 1829.  In 1831 his parents removed to Falls Township, Hocking County, and afterward removed to Marion Township, where he lived until manhood.  In 1877 he purchased the farm where he now resides in Marion Township, and has been extensively engaged in wool-growing and farming, making fine stock sheep a specialty.  He is a member of Hocking Valley Lodge, NO. 191,  I. O. O. F., Logan, Ohio, and has filled all the chairs in the lodge.  He is also a member of the Encampment, No. 262, Logan, and has filled all the chairs in that body.  Oct. 22, 1849, he married Mary, daughter of John G. and Rebecca (Howser) Blosser, of Hocking County.  His wife died Jan. 17, 1882, aged fifty-two years.  She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.  Oct. 14, 1882, he married Lydia, daughter of Thomas J. and Christina (Friesner) Durr.  Mr. Frasure is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.  His wife is a member of the Dunkard church.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1152
  Starr Twp. -
FREEMAN W. FREY,
section 21, Starr Township, is a native of Fayette County, Pa., and was born Sept. 19, 1825.  His father, Jonathan Frey (deceased), was a native of Greene County, Pa., and emigrated to Morgan County in 1836.  He came to this county in 1865 and died here Mar. 1, 1866.  There were nine children in the family of whom seven are living - Elizabeth, Eve A., (Mrs. Atkinson), William H., Freeman W., Maria (Mrs. Williamson, Phoebe J. (Mrs. Wany), and Isabell.  Rachel was married to Benjamin Stead and at her death left several children.  John died at Pittsburg Landing while in the service of the Union during the late war.  Mr. Frey was brought up on the farm, and while a young man learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed for many years.  He built many of the best dwellings and school-houses in Starr Township and vicinity, and the trestles on the railroad between Hocking River and Starr postoffice.  He served in the late war in Company F, Fifty-sixth Ohio Infantry one year, and participated in the battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh and others.  He was married in Morgan County, Ohio, Nov. 24, 1850, to Jane, daughter of David Archibald (deceased), a native of Belmont County, Ohio.  She was born in Morgan County, Ohio.  They have seven children - Robert E., M. Ann (Mrs. Mason), Lizzie A., Emma E., David A., George B. M. and Ida M.  For the past few years Mr. Frey has been engaged in farming and stock-raising.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1150
  Perry Twp. -
JACOB FRIEND was born in South Perry, Hocking County, Ohio, Jan. 15, 1848, a son of Orrin Friend.   His grandfather, William Friend, was a native of Brownsville, Pa., and came to Ohio in 1804, four years later locating in Perry Township.  Our subject was reared in South Perry, spending his youth in attending school and assisting his father in the tannery.  When he was twenty years of age he gave his father $50 of his next year's earnings for his time and went to work on a farm by the month.  Oct. 8, 1871, he married Nancy E. Wilkins, a daughter of John Wilkins, of Warren County, Va.  At the time of his marriage he was obliged to borrow $15 to defray expenses.  In 1877 he came to Laurelville and bought a house and lot on time, not having the money to pay for it.  His property is now worth $3,000, and his prospects for a prosperous future are as bright as any young man's in the township.  Mr. and Mrs. Friend have four children - B. W., Sarah C., Anna M., and Edward W.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1118
  Laurel Twp. -
L. C. FRIEND, a native of Laurel Township, was born July 5, 1844.  His father, Aaron Friend, is also a native of this township.  During the late war he enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Fifty-first Ohio Infantry, and served 100 days.  He then enlisted, January, 1864, in Company B, One Hundred and Ninety-first Ohio Infantry and served a year.  He was married Nov. 17, 1867, to Hannah E. Odell.  They have three children - Eliza Jane, Melissa M. and Clara NevadaMr. Friend has a fine farm of 175 acres on section 8, with a two story residence and good farm buildings,  where he has resided since 1868.  Politically he is a Republican.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1136

John S. Friesner
Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
JUDGE JOHN S. FRIESNER, Judge of the Court of Common Pleas of the first sub-division of the Seventh Judicial District of Ohio, is the youngest son of David and Eliza (Shields) Friesner, born in Logan, May 13, 1848.  His father died when he was eleven years old; he lived with his mother a year, then spent the next two years with his guardian, Joseph Simpson, near Bremen, in Fairfield County, Ohio.  He then returned to Logan and attended the grammar-school department of the Logan Union School until March, 1862, when he enlisted in the Thirty-eighth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and went to Chillicothe, where he was rejected on account of his youth.  He then returned to school, but enlisted again teh following May in Company K, One Hundred and Fifty-first, Ohio National Guards, as a private to serve 100 days, doing guard duty in the fortification at Washington, D. C.  After being mustered out at the expiration of his term of service, he returned to Logan.  During the winter of 1864-'65, he taught school in Good Hope Township, and in the following spring was employed by the late W. W. Poston, of Nelsonville, to purchase stock.  In the winter and spring of 1866 he worked in the coal mines, after which he was employed in the hardware store of James A. Cox, of Logan, until the fall of 1867.  He then formed a partnership with his brother, William S., in the grocery business, under the firm name of Friesner brothers studying law privately at the same time.  In the spring of 1868, he retired from the firm and entered the law office of Hon. Jas. R. Grogan was a law student, remaining under his preceptorship till the fall of 1870, and teaching school during the winters, when he was admitted to the bar by the District Court at Logan, Hon. Jacob Brinkerhoff, Judge of the Supreme Court of Ohio, presiding.  He then established his law practice at Logan, and in the summer of 1871 Colonel Charles H. Rippey became associated with him, forming the law firm of Rippey & Friesner.  They also opened a branch office at New Straitsville, under the firm name of Rippey, Friesner & Price, Robert E. Price of that place being associated with them.  In the fall of 1876 they dissolved partnership, Mr. Rippey wishing to engage in the real estate business, and also operate in iron and coal.  In the spring of 1877 Mr. Oakley Case became his partner, the firm name being Friesner & Case.  They continued the law practice till December, 1879, when Mr. Friesner, being elected Judge of the Court of Common Pleas, retired from the firm to accept that office.  He was married Sept. 7, 1870, to Miss Hattie, daughter of William and Henrietta (Rochester) Gallagher of Logan.  They have three children living, viz.:  Henrietta, Frederick McDonald and Katy Eveline.  Three died in infancy.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 949 - Chapt. XXXVI
*Photo on p. 886
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
SIMEON FRIESNER, deceased, farmer, son of Frederick and Leah (Fought) Friesner, was born in Perry County, Ohio, Oct. 4, 1823, and lived with his parents until manhood.  He taught school a number of terms before he was twenty-one years of age.  At the age of twenty-one years he purchased the farm near Enterprise, where his family resides and where he lived until his death.  Sept. 16, 1847, he married Elizabeth A., daughter of Jacob and Catharine (Goss) Zeller.  They had eight children, only three now living - Henry F., of Van Wert County, Ohio; Mary E. wife of Joseph Klinger, of Paulding County, Ohio; William E., at home.  Lydia C. wife of William Knight, of Hocking County, died Feb. 13, 1873, aged twenty-five years; Jacob F., July 4, 1880, aged thirty years; Almeda J., Oct. 9, 1853, aged six years; Simeon E.., Sept. 17, 1864, aged one year; John W., Oct. 8 1882, aged eighteen years.  Mrs. Friesner lived Feb. 5, 1865, aged thirty-seven years.  She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.  May 8, 1865, MR. Friesner married Sarah, daughter of Jacob and Catharine (Goss) Zeller.  They had one son - Simeon L.  Mr. Friesner died Mar. 22, 1867.  He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.  His widow and family now reside on the farm.  Mrs. Friesner is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 950
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
WILLIAM E. FRIESNER, school-teacher, third son of Simeon and Elizabeth A. (Zeller) Friesner, was born in Falls Township, Hocking County, Aug. 19, 1860, and lived with his parents until manhood, working on the farm.  He received a common-school education and attended select school three terms.  Since the age of nineteen years he has been teaching school.  He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 950 - Chapt. XXXVI
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
WILLIAM SHIELDS FRIESNER was born in Logan, Ohio, Aug. 19, 1838, the eldest of four sons of Daniel and Eliza (Shields) Friesner.  He received the rudiments of his election in the public schools of Logan, finishing it at Marietta College.  He graduated in the class of 1861, receiving the degree of A. B., and in 1864 received the degree of A. M., as post graduate.  On leaving college in 1861 he enlisted in Company D, Seventeenth Ohio Infantry, for three months.  After his discharge, Aug. 11, 1861, he returned to Logan, and Oct. 9, 1861, enlisted in Company D, Sixty-first Ohio Infantry, for three years, enlisted in Company D, Sixty-first Ohio Infantry, for three years, and was elected First Lieutenant.  Before entering the field his company was transferred to the Fifty-eighth Ohio Regiments, in order to fill up that regiment so that it could be sent to the field and take part in the battle of Fort Donelson.  The company being raw recruits, having never been drilled, this had to be done while on the boat en route to the fort.  Being in command of his company after the surrender of the fort, Mr. Friesner was left in charge of a portion of the enemy's works and surrendered arms.  Oct. 3, 1862, he was promoted to Captain, and May 3, 1865, to Lieutenant-Colonel of his regiment.  He served till Sept. 28, 1865.  He returned to Logan, and in 1866, with his brother, John S. Friesner, engaged in the grocery business, remaining with him nearly two years.  He then taught school till the latter part of 1873, when he was employed at the Lick Run coal mines as weighmaster until the strike of that year.  Having previously studied law to some extent he then completed the study and was admitted to the bar at Logan Aug. 31, 1874.  In 1875 he became associated with Judge J. R. Grogan in the practice of his profession, remaining with him a year.  In 1878 he abandoned the law and has since been teaching in Hocking and and Perry counties.  During 1872-'73 he was Principal of the High School Department of the Union School of Logan.  June 23, 1864, he married Philia R. Crooks, of Pine Grove, Hocking County.  Mr. Friesner is a Master Royal Arab Council and Knight Templar Mason.  He has served as Thrice Illustrious Master of the council, and High Priest of the chapter.  He is also a member of the College Fraternities Alpha Kappa and Alpha Pi Gamma, and of J. K. Rochester Post, NO. 140, G. A. R.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 950

NOTE:

 



 
CLICK HERE to Return to
HOCKING CO., OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights