OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
HOCKING COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

Source: 
History of Hocking Valley, Ohio -
Published Chicago:
by Inter-State Publishing Co.
1883
Pg. 813

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to 1883 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >

  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
REV. THOMAS JOSEPH CADY, Rector of St. John's Catholic Church, Logan, was born near Hancock, Addison Co., Vt., Jan. 14, 1835, a son of Ephraim C. and Elizabeth (Safford) Cady.  He received his elementary education in the common schools, and in 1854 entered St. Joseph's College, Perry County, Ohio.  In 1860 he entered St. Rose College, Washington County, Ky., remaining there four years.  He then returned to St. Joseph College and passed his last examination prior to being ordained to the priesthood.  He was ordained Sub-Deacon, Deacon and Priest during the latter part of November, 1863.  His first charge was a small parish in Perry County, where he remained three years.  In September, 1866, he was sent to New York City, and served as assistant to the Rector of St. Vincent's parish, corner of Sixty-sixth street and Lexington avenue.  In May, 1868, he returned to Ohio and was assistant to the Rector of St. Dominick's Church, at Zanesville, until May, 1874, when he was sent to Nashville, Tenn., and served as assistant in St. Peter's Church four months.  Since September, 1874, he has been Rector of St. John's Church, Logan.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 936

Abel Carpenter
Good Hope Twp. -
ABEL CARPENTER, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Falls Township, Hocking County, July 22, 1836, and is the son of Sampson and Catherine Carpenter who were among the early pioneers of the county.  Our subject was reared on the farm where he now resides and received his early education in the common schools.  He was married Dec. 5, 1861, to Miss Phoebe Ridenour daughter of William and Rachel Ridenour.  They have seven children - Simeon, Eliza, Ellen, Christina, William, Edward and Emma.  Mr. Carpenter has a fine farm containing 166 acres of improved land, on which he has erected a very pleasant residence of modern style.  He has held several offices of trust in both township and county.  He has been Township Treasurer and Trustee for several years and is at present time County Commissioner, this being his second term.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1144
(Portrait found between pps. 1069-1071)
  Marion Twp. -
JEREMIAH CARPENTER, farmer, second son of Sampson and Catherine (Walters) Carpenter, was born in Falls Township, Hocking County, July 27, 1825.  Soon after his birth his parents removed to Good Hope Township, where he lived with them until manhood.  His first work for himself was shingle-making, which he followed for a few months.  He then rented a farm six years, and in 1852 purchased the farm first entered by Rickey and Davis.  He also owns and runs a saw-mill by water-power.  He has worked at the cooper's and wagon-maker's trades, but has been principally engaged in farming, where he resides, in Marion Township since 1852.  June 26, 1847, he married Pheobe, daughter of John and Christina, (Kline) Engle.  They have four children - Elizabeth, wife of Lewis McGill, of Columbus, Ohio; Daniel, of Hocking County; Sarah, wife of John Hufford, of Hocking County; and Catharine, wife of David Dupler, of Hocking County.  His wife died Apr. 13, 1854, aged twenty-seven years.  She was a member of the Evangelist church.  June 7, 1855, Mr. Carpenter married Mrs. Magdaline, widow of Henry Heyd and daughter of Daniel and Susan (Friesner) Swartz, of Fairfield County, Ohio.  They have six children - Susan, wife of William Elick, of Hocking County; Noah, Rachel, William, Wesley and Amos, at home.  Lewis died in infancy; Frakie died in his second year.  Mr. and Mrs. Carpenter are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.  Mrs. Carpenter had two children by her first husband, both deceased - Lydia, born sept. 23, 1851, died Mar. 2, 1875; Daniel, born July 25, 1876, died Sept. 24, 1878.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1151
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
OAKLEY CASE was born at Simsbury, Conn., June 29, 1824, a son of Ambrose and Esther (Chapman) Case.  In 1839 his parents came to Ohio and settled in Logan.  His father died the same year and his mother returned to Connecticut, and the following year, with her family, again came to Logan.  He was educated in the common district schools of Connecticut, and after coming to Ohio attended the Ohio University and Granville College.  He was reared a farmer, but at intervals worked in his brother's printing office, there acquiring some knowledge of that trade, and just before becoming of age, in January, 1845, he became the proprietor and publisher of the Hocking Sentinel, a Democratic journal.  He was the publisher of the Sentinel till 1857, when he was employed as bookkeeper for his brother Flavius, and afterward as clerk in the Probate office.  In 1862 he was elected Probate Judge of Hocking County Court, and re-elected in 1865, holding the office two terms of three years each.  Having studied law in the meantime, he was admitted to the bar by the District Court at Logan.  In 1868 he became associated with James W. Stinchcomb, but in 1870 withdrew from the firm.  In 1871 he was elected a Representative to the General Assembly of Ohio, and re-elected in 1873.  In January, 1875, he resigned his seat in the Legislature to accept the appointment of chief clerk of Secretary of the State, William Bell.  In 1877 he returned to Logan and became associated with Hon. John Friesner in the practice of law, remaining with him till Mr. Friesner was elected Judge of the Court of Common Pleas.  He then became associated with L. J. Burgess, and practiced law under the firm name of Burgess & Case till 1881, when, on account of failing eye-sight, Mr. Case was obliged to give up the practice and withdraw from the firm.  Jan. 21, 1845, he married Margaret Ann James, of Logan.  They have four children - Lemuel Alonzo, of Columbus; Amanda Ellen, Emily (an attendant at the Columbus Central Lunatic Asylum), and Maggie.  They have lost four children, three dying in infancy, and one, Mary Eliza, married George Cook, of Logan, and died Mar. 11, 1883, leaving two children - Amanda Ellen and Maggie.  Mr. Case is a Master, Royal Arch Council and Knight Templar Mason, and is Past Master, Past High Priest and Past Illustrious Master.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 937
  Perry Twp. -
BENJAMIN E. CAVE was born in Montgomery County, Ky., Jan. 19, 1810, a son of Benjamin and Mary (Mounts) Cave, his father a native of Virginia and his mother of Kentucky.  His parents came to Ohio in 1815, arriving in Perry Township, Dec. 24, and settled on the farm now owned by their son-in-law, J. A. McClelland.  Benjamin E. remained at home till twenty-three years of age, working on the farm and at the carpenter's trade.  He now owns a farm of 130 acres.  July 5, 1832, he married Susan, daughter of James and Abigail Roult, of Pickaway County.  Ten children have been born to them, nine still living - Mary J., Isaac N., William H., Evaline M., Emily M., James R., Lubine E., Jasper C. and Chas. W.  In October, 1861, Mr. Cave enlisted in Company H, Seventy-fifth Ohio Infantry, and was appointed Sergeant of the company.  May 8, 1862, at the battle of McDowell, Va., he was wounded in the left shoulder, and after remaining in the hospital till the next September he was discharged.  His son, Isaac served three years in the war and was wounded at the second battle of Bull Run.  Mr. Cave is an active worker in the temperance cause, having been a member of a temperance organization since 1841.  He and his wife have been members of the Methodist church over fifty years.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 939
  Ward Twp. -
SAMUEL CLEGG
 was born in England, Feb. 29, 1804, and moved to this country in 1838 or '40 and lived here until his death, Mar. 16, 1876.  He was a member of the I. O. O. F. fraternity in England.  He was a member of the I. O. O. F. fraternity in England.  He was married to Lucetta Zarley, a daughter of Jonathan Drake, who died in Pennsylvania.  They had three children - Ann J., Amanda L. and Sarah Mrs. Clegg was born Dec. 19, 1813, in Somerset County, Penn.  She owns 197 acres of land, on section 2, Ward Township, which is under a good state of cultivation.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 1016
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
CRAVEN WEBSTER CLOWE, farmer, youngest child of C. W. and Sarah N. (Beveridge) Clowe, was born near Uniontown, Muskingum Co., Ohio, Apr. 21, 1831.  His parents removed from Loudoun County, Va., a short time before his birth.  His father died when the subject of this sketch was but three months old, and his mother removed to Perry County and there married her second husband, and our subject lived with them until fourteen years of age.  He received a limited education at the common-schools.  At the age of fourteen years he packed his clothing in a handkerchief, and with 12 cents in money started in the world for himself, and first hired to work on a farm for John Cunningham, six miles west of Lancaster, Ohio, for $6 per month.  He worked in that settlement until twenty years of age.  In 1851 he was employed by Colonel Messenger, a stock-dealer in Shelby County, Ill., as boss stock-drover, and was with him four years.  His health failing, he returned to his mother's, in Ohio, and in 1856 purchased a farm in Green Township, Hocking County.  In 1859 he sold his farm and moved to Perry County, but during the winters of 1859 and 1860 taught school in Green Township.  Oct. 4, 1861, he enlisted in Company C, Sixty-second Ohio Infantry, at Zanesville, Ohio, as a private, for three years.  Dec. 18, 1861, he was appointed First Sergeant of his company, and was filling that position at the first battle of Winchester, Va.  July 1, 1863, he was promoted to Second Lieutenant, and June 1, 1864, to First Lieutenant, Regimental Quartermaster.  He was engaged in the assault upon Fort Wagner, Morris Island, July 18, 1863, where he was wounded and temporarily disabled.  Soon after he was placed in command of Company I, Sixty-second Regiment, for one month; then commanded Company A, same regiment, one month.  He filled the position of Regimental Quartermaster until Sept. 20, 1864.  He was then transferred to the Commissary Department of First Brigade, First Division, Tenth Army Corps, as Captain, and served as such until the close of the war.  He was at the seven days' battle on the peninsula, and soon after detailed on special recruiting service, and was home on that business a short time.  He was mustered out Nov. 30, 1864, and returned home and purchased the farm where he now resides, in Falls Township.  He has been President of the Hocking County Agricultural Society.  He is a Master Mason, member of Mingo Lodge, No. 171, A. F. & A. M., Logan, Ohio.  April 8, 1856, he married Barbara, daughter of Henry and Nancy (Davis) Hazelton, of Perry County.  They have two children - Henry W. and Alice C., wife of F. M. Rhoads, of Falls Township.  Captain Clowe has his army papers on file showing the preceding army facts.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 938
  Green Twp. -
GEORGE W. COHOGAN, section 3, Green Township, was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, Apr. 7, 1818.  His father, Thomas Cohogan, a native of Virginia, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war.  He came to Muskingum County, Ohio, in 1817.  Our subject was reared on a farm and educated at the common schools.  He moved to Perry County in 1833, and in 1863 came to this county and settled on the place where he now resides.  Jan. 12, 1843, he was married to Mary A. Saffell, daughter of Amos Saffell.  They have had fourteen children, nine still living, whose names are:  William, John, Elizabeth, Sarah C., Alice A., Martha J., Ann M., James A. and Minerva.  He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.  Mr. Cohogan owns a farm of eighty acres and is engaged in general farming.  He has been Justice of the Peace for three years, and was re-elected in the spring of 1883.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1030
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
ENOCH GEORGE COLLINS was born in Lancaster, Fairfield, Ohio, Jan. 6, 1818, a son of John A. and Sarah (Seitz) Collins  He was reared in his native county, and was educated in the public schools, attending also one term at the Greenfield Academy.  When sixteen years of age he began teaching the winter terms, working the rest of the year on the farm, continuing that course till thirty-one years of age.  In 1849 he came to Logan, and was employed as a clerk i the store of his brother, Jesse L. Collins, two years.  In 1851 he opened a general store in Maxwell, Perry County, and remained there fourteen years, and during most of the time was also Postmaster.  In 1865 he returned to Logan, and with William M. Bowen engaged in the hardware business.  In 1868 he retired from the firm and engaged in the general mercantile business till 1877, when he retired from active business.  He was soon after stricken with paralysis, from which he has never fully recovered.  He has been a member of the City Council and Board of Education of Logan several years each.  Mar. 27, 1851, he married Elizabeth Butin daughter of A. H. Butin.  They have had a family of six children, only three now living - Clara L., wife of Charles T. Monroe; Frank B., of Straitsville, Ohio, and Edwin C., of Columbus, Ohio.  Charles died at the age of three years; John A. at the age of two years, and one died in infancy.  Mr. and Mrs. Collins are members of the Methodist church.  He has been Class-Leader, Steward and Sunday-school Superintendent many years, having been a member of the church nearly fifty years.  He has taken all the degrees of Masonry through the Council, and of Odd Fellowship through the Encampment.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 939
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
JESSE LEE COLLINS, senior member of the firm of Collins & Moore is the son of John A. and Sarah (Seitz) Collins.  He was born near Lancaster, Fairfield County, Jan. 18, 1821.  He was reared on a farm, and educated in the common school and in the Greenfield Academy.  When eighteen years old he became a clerk in the store of Myers & Fall, being in their employ till 1842, when he became manager of a gore for them at Logan.  In 1843 he established himself in the general mercantile business at Logan, being associated with J. C. McCracken.  They dissolved partnership in 1846, after which Mr. Collins became associated with different parties till 1868, when he formed a partnership with M. D. Moore, forming the present mercantile firm of Collins & Moore.  In 1877 Mr. Collins made a tour through Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Illinois and Indiana.  He has been a member of the City Council of Logan three years, and served as Recorder.  He has also been a member of the Board of Education of Logan, being its President six years. Oct. 15, 1844, he married Miss Emma C. Rippey, of Logan.  They have four children - Sarah W., wife of John M. Floyd, of Logan; Mary Caroline wife of M. D. Moore, of the firm of Collins & Moore;  Katie W., and Jesse L.  Mr. Collins and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which he has served as Steward some thirty-eight years.  He is a Master, Royal Arch, Council and Knight Templar Mason, and is a member of the lodge chapter and council at Logan, and of the commandery at Lancaster.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 940
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
GEORGE COOK, foreman of the Sentinel office, was born in Ilesboro, Hocking Co., Ohio, Aug. 18, 1844.  Oct. 1, 1861, he enlisted in Company F, Forty-sixth Ohio Infantry, and served four years and three months.  He participated in the battles of Pittsburg Landing, siege of Corinth, Holly Springs, Jackson, Black River, Vicksburg, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Lookout Mountain, Mission Ridge, Snake Creek, Resaca, Dallas, Atlanta and Jonesboro.  From Atlanta he went to the sea; was at Savannah, Bentonville and Raleigh.  During his entire term of service he was never unfitted for duty.  He was discharged at Louisville, July 27, 1865.  With the exception of one or two years absence Mr. Cook has been foreman of the Sentinel office since 1865.  In 1873 he established the Nelsonville Miner, the first paper printed in that town.  In 1878 he removed the office to Shawnee and published the Shawnee Journal till the Journal was succeeded by the Banner.  Mr. Cook was married Feb. 13, 1870, to Mary E. Case.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 940
  Starr Twp. -
JAMES CONAWAY was born in Steubenville, Ohio, Sept. 25, 1826.  His father, George Conaway, was a native of County Derry, Ireland.  He married Mary Kilpatrick, also a native of that county, and in 1826 emigrated to America and settled in Steubenville, Ohio, where they remained until 1828, when they removed to Muskingum County and settled in the dense forests where the nights were made hideous by the increasing cries of the prowling wolves, and where many other wild animals roamed at will through the wilderness of this then thinly settled country.  George and Mary Conaway had six children born to them; four of whom, Martha, Sarah, John and Nancy were born in Ireland; the other two, our subject and George, were born in Ohio, the latter in Muskingum County.  All are living except the eldest, Martha.  She married Lenox Fisher in 1840, and was the mother of five children, three of whom are living - Mary J. (Crown), Nancy E. (Krigger) and Samantha (Cooms), all of whom reside near Gratiot, Licking Co., Ohio.  One of her daughters, Sarah A. (Loughman), died at the age of thirty-two years, leaving a family of five children.  Sarah Conaway married William Fisher, and has three children - Hon. John C., George and Mary K. (Bassett).  John Conaway married Emily Waterman, of Massachusetts, by whom he has three children - George, Laura and John.  They reside in Gratiot, Licking Co., Ohio.  Nancy Conaway married Peter Triplett and has two children - Mary E. (Irwin) and William A.  They reside in Newark, Ohio.  George Conaway married Maria McCann, by whom he has two children - Jane and Mary A.  They reside near Hanover, Licking Co., Ohio.  The subject of this sketch was brought up on a farm and educated in the common schools.  His parents died when he was young, and at the age of thirteen he was thrown upon his own resources, and the remainder of his early life and 1849 he went to Illinois, and returned in 1850.  He went to Texas in 1857, remained there and in Missouri till the fall of 1859, when he returned to Ohio.  Mr. Conaway was a soldier for four months in Company G, One Hundred and Fifty-first Regiment, Ohio National Guards.  He was engaged on duty most of the time in forts Sumner and De Russy, at Washington, D. C., and was present when Breckenridge made his charge on Washington.  He purchased his present farm in November, 1849, and located permanently on it in 1860.  He was married Feb. 28, 1852, to Miss Rachel, daughter of Patrick McKee, and in October, the following year (1853), removed to his farm in Starr Township.  May 25, 1854, Mrs. Conaway died leaving one child - Mary E., who died at the age of seven months.  Aug. 22, 1860, Mr. Conaway was married to Mrs. Ann Mariah McCune, nee Barnes, who was a native of Hocking County and of Scotch ancestry.  Two sons were born to this union - U. L., born June 13, 1861,  now of the publishing firm of Leggett, Conaway & Co., of Chicago, Ill., and Elmer Carlton, the youngest, born Oct. 5, 1862.  Mrs. Conaway was born in 1835, and died Mar. 24, 1867.  Mrs. Conaway had one child by her first husband - Matthew McCuneMr. Conaway celebrated his last marriage Mar. 23, 1869, with Miss Phoebe Jane, daughter of John and Rachel Mason.  They have had three children; of these two are living - John Mason, born Oct. 20, 1872, and Fanny Estella, born Dec. 29, 1875.  Mr. Conaway is a member in good standing of the Masonic fraternity, and with his family is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, with which he has been identified for thirty years.  He has served the church as Class-leader during that entire period except one year.  He was a member of the Board of Trustees one term, and has been Ministerial Trustee for twenty years.  He owns 150 acres of land, and is engaged in farming and stock raising.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1047
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
ARTHUR M. CORTNEY, son of Arthur and Nancy (Gordon) Cortney, was born in Waynesburgh, Greene Co., Pa., Nov. 8, 1827.  In 1834 he accompanied his parents to Ohio, where they settled in Jackson Township, Perry County, and resided there till our subject became of age.  He was educated in the district school and by his father, who was a school teacher, being also a practical surveyor and civil engineer.  In his twentieth year our subject began to teach and has taught in Perry and Hocking counties a great many years.  From 1852 till 1856 he was the Township Clerk of Jackson Township, Perry County.  In 1866 he settled at Logan and engaged in the grocery business until 1872, after which he taught in the district of that county six years.  He was then elected a member of the Council of Logan, and engaged in civil engineering and teaching till the fall of 1881, when he was elected on the Democratic ticket, Clerk of the Circuit Court and Clerk of Common Pleas of Hocking County for a term of three years.  He was married May 5, 1852, to Miss Rosannah, daughter of Hughand Rosa (Conley) Clark, of Perry County.  She has borne him twelve children, three sons and nine daughters, seven of whom still survive, viz: Rosa, Hugh V., Lottie, Lucy, Kate, Laura and Estella, all living at home.  Of those who died, all lived to maturity with the exception of one who died at the age of seven.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 941
  Starr Twp. -
PETER COURTER, section 35, Starr Township, general farmer, was born in Lycoming County, Pa., Sept. 11, 1811, and is a son of Peter Courter (deceased), a native of Berks County, Pa.  Mr. Courter was brought up on the farm, and received a limited education in a subscription school.  He married Elizabeth Coalman July 7, 1836, and has had ten children, of whom six are living - Mary A. (Mrs. Sherlock), Charles, Isabelle (Mrs. Trobridge), Rebecca (Mrs. Armstrong), Martha (Mrs. Buckingham), and Catharine (Mrs. Hansel)  One son, William, died in the late war from the effects of a wound.  One daughter, Ella, was married to Isaac Lowry, and at her death left one child.  Mr. Courter brought his family to Jackson County, Ohio, in 1855, where he worked at the blacksmith trade until 1858, when he came to Union, or Five-Mile Furnace.  He came to his present farm in 1861.  Mr. Courter is a member of the Bible Christian church.  Mrs. Courter died Oct. 16, 1882.  She was a church member for fifty-two years, and a faithful Christian.  Mr. Courter owns ninety-two acres of fine land.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1049
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
WILLIAM HENRY COWELL, master mechanic in the shops of the C., H. V. & T. R. R. Company at Logan, was born near Sandusky City, Ohio, Feb. 11, 1838.  At the age of five years he went with his parents, Amasa and Emily (Chapman) Cowell, to Adrian, where he lived until manhood, receiving a good common-school education.  At the age of nineteen he began to learn the trade of a machinist in the shops of Ripley and Whitehouse at Adrian, serving a little over a year.  He then bean to work as a journeyman at Detroit, Mich., on the Detroit locomotive works, being employed there some four months when the shops were closed, after which he worked at different places till 1866, when he was employed as foreman in the machine shops of the Columbus & Indianapolis Central Railroad until the spring of 1868.  He was employed as engineer on several roads till the fall of 1869, when he was engaged as foreman in the shops of the Atlantic & Pacific Railroad, at Pacific, Mo., for four months, when he ran a locomotive on the Wabash Railroad, from Springfield, Ill., to Danville, Ill., until the fall of 1871, when he came to Logan and was engineer till 1880, after which he was placed in his present position.  He was married Sept. 13, 1877, to Miss Laura Dean, of Columbus, Ohio.  He is a Master, Royal Arch, Council and Knight Templar Mason and member of the lodge, chapter, council and commandery at Columbus.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 941
  Starr Twp. -
REV. WM. M. CRAIG, section 1, Starr Township, was born in Falls Township, Muskingum Co., Ohio, Apr. 27, 1847.  He was brought to this county by his parents in the fall of 1848.  His boyhood days were spent on his father's farm.  He attended the common school and finished his education in the Otterbein University, at Westerville, Ohio.  He was first licensed as a local preacher in the Lancaster district of the Ohio Methodist Episcopal Conference in 1876, by Elder H. A. Gortner.  He traveled for five years as a supply in the regular work.  Mr. Craig is now extensively engaged in fruit culture, making a specialty of fine budded peaches.  As a fruit-grower he is eminently successful.  His fruits command the highest prices in the Cincinnati, Columbus and Baltimore markets.  He was married Oct. 25, 1866, to Miss Cynthia A. Mathews,  daughter of Ephraim Mathews.  They have five children - Frank L., Minnie M., Eugene N., Linnie A. and Emma GraceHugh Craig, father of the above, was born July 8, 1812, in Washington County, Pa., and is of Irish parentage.  He came to Muskingum County, Ohio, in 1822, and to Hocking in 1848.  He married Jane Jenkins.  They had nine children, four now living - Mary, Martha, Jane and William M.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1049
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
WILLIAM H. CRAWFORD, chief engineer Gore Furnace, was born in Greenup County, Ky., Jan. 22, 1847.  His father, John Crawford (deceased), was a native of County Tyrone, Ireland, who came to America when three years old.  Our subject has always worked in the furnace with the exception of three years spent in the late war.  He enlisted in Company B, Twenty-second Kentucky Volunteer Infantry.  He served under the late General Garfield and participated in the battles of Middle Creek, Cumberland Gap, siege of Vicksburg and Jackson, Miss.  He was then transferred to New Orleans, under General Banks, and participated in the Red River campaign and other smaller engagements.  He came to Gore in May, 1876, and was appointed to his present position.  He was married May 24, 1866, to Mary, daughter of Bailey Harding (deceased).  They have seven children- Elizabeth, John, Jennie, Anna L., Jessie P., Lettie and George.  Mr. Crawford belongs to the Masonic fraternity.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 942
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
DANIEL JOHN CRESAP, merchant tailor, Logan, was born near Cumberland, Md., Nov. 14, 1814, a son of Joseph and Sidney (Sanford) Cresap.  His parents both died before he had reached his fourteenth year and he was thus early thrown on his own resources.  He was educated in the academy at Cumberland.  When in his fifteenth year he became apprenticed to learn the tailor's trade, to serve till he was twenty-one.  Being dissatisfied he served only a year and then came to Ohio and worked five months in Cincinnati.  He then went to Louisville, Ky., and afterward worked as a journeyman in several Southern cities.  In 1834 he went to Washington, D. C., and in 1835 to Berkley Springs, W. Va.  In the fall of 1835 he returned to Cumberland, and in 1837 came again to Ohio, settling in Dresden, Muskingum County.  In 1839 he went to Hills, and in 1842 to Ripley.  In 1848 he went to Louisa, Ky., and was the proprietor of a steam saw-mill two years, when he returned again to Ripley.  In the winter of 1849-'50 he went to California, returning East in 1853 and settling in Cincinnati.  In the spring of 1862 he went to Columbus, and soon after went out as Sutler of the Eighteenth Regiment, remaining eight months.  In May, 1855, he came to Logan and was employed as cutter for Rose & Gerson until the spring of 1858 when he became Mr. Gerson's successor, the name changing to Rose & Cresap, this firm continuing till 1881.  During 1876 and 1877 Mr. Cresap served as a member of the City Council of Logan.  In November, 1840, he married Sarah Baysman, who died in 1843, leaving two children - Virginia, wife of M. B. Lovett, of White Sulphur Springs, Ala., and Anna Sanford, wife of Hon. R. S. Bebb, of Beatrice, Neb.  In 1844 Mr. Cresap married Elizabeth Campbell, of Ripley.  They have had nine children, only four now living - Belle, wife of Webster W. Poston, of Nelsonville; James C., a Lieutenant in the U. S. navy; Robert E. L., in business with his father; and Edward O. Katie died in1864 aged eight years; Nellie in 1880, and the others in infancy.  He is a member of Mingo Lodge, No. 171, A. F. & A. M. 
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 942
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
CROMWELL B. CULVER, of Old Gore, was born Jan. 15, 1803.  His father, Reuben Culver (deceased), was a native of Connecticut and came to Ohio about the year 1796.  Olive Buel, the mother of our subject, was a daughter of Timothy Buel, who came out of the battle of Stonington bareheaded.  Our subject was married in 1833 to Elizabeth Gilmer (deceased).  They were the parents of three children, all deceased.  He was again married in 1853 to Sarah J. Perry and they have been blessed with two children whose names are - Mary E. (Donaldson) and Edwin S.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 943
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
EDWIN S. CULVER was born Mar. 21, 1856, at Old Gore, where he was reared and educated.  He also attended school for two years in Logan.  In May, 1879, he entered the employ of the Thomas Iron Works Company, as assistant book-keeper, which position he held till Mar. 1, 1883, when he was employed by the Columbus and Hocking Coal and Iron Company as chief clerk of their mammoth store at New Gore, his present position.  He is also Justice of the Peace and assistant Postmaster at New Gore, or Hamlin.  Mr. Culver is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 943
  Falls Twp. including Falls-Gore and City of Logan -
LAWRENCE AUGUSTUS CULVER, President of the People's Bank of Logan, was born in Logan, Oct. 9, 1834, the son of Reuben and Hannah D. (Brooks) Culver.  His education was obtained in the Logan public schools.  When sixteen years of age he commenced clerking, and in his nineteenth year, in 1853, became engaged in the drug and dry-goods business in Logan.  In 1857 or '58 he became associated with J. C. Tool.  In 1859 Mr. Tool retired from the business and Mr. Culver carried it on alone till 1861, when he sold out and removed to his farm in the vicinity of Logan.  In 1863 he, with C. E. Bowen, A. W. Beery, C. V. Culver, L. H. Culver, and C. B. Culver (an uncle), organized the First National Bank of Logan, and he was chosen President.  In 1865 he resigned his position, still retaining an interest in the business, and went to Reno, Pa., with the intention of organizing a bank at that place, but, instead, became engaged with his brother, C. V. Culver, in constructing a railroad.  In the fall of 1866 he returned to Logan.  In March, 1867, he sold his interest in the First National Bank, and with others established the People's Bank of Logan, he again being chosen President.  Since 1867 Mr. Culver has been largely interested in real estate.  In the fall of 1880, he, with other capitalists, organized the Motherwell Iron and Steel Company of Logan, of which he is President.  In February, 1882, he purchased an interest in the Logan Gas Light and Coke Company, and is its present Treasurer.  July 29, 1859, he was married to Lucy H. Brooke, daughter of M. D. Brooke, of Madison, Ind.  They have had four children - Reuben D., a law student; Sophia, a student at the Western Female Seminary, Oxford, Ohio; Florence E., and Lawrence A., Jr.  Two children are deceased - Lucia H., died in July, 1861, aged nine months, and Lucy H., in February, 1878, aged eight years.  Mr. and Mrs. Culver are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.  He is a Master, Royal Arch, Council and Knight Templar Mason, a member of Lancaster Commandery, No. 2, and a demitted member of the other orders.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - Page 943
  Laurel Twp. -
CHARLES CUPP
, son of Christopher Cupp, is a native of Licking County, Ohio, born Dec. 7, 1824.  When eight years of age his parents moved to Fairfield County, Ohio, born Dec. 7, 1824.  when eight years of age his parents moved to Fairfield County, where he lived till eighteen years of age.  He was reared a farmer and received a common-school education.  He came to Hocking County in 1842, and located in Laurel Township.  In 1850 he bought the farm where he now resides, on section 27.  At that time it was wild timbered land, but now he has 205 acres of fine well-cultivated land.  July 8, 1846, he married Mary Ann Hood, a sister of his first wife.   They have five children - John C., Jacob A., Charles W., Clarissa E. and George W.  Politically Mr. Cupp is a Democrat.  He has held the offices of Township Treasurer and Justice of the Peace.  He is a member of the Protestant Methodist church.
SOURCE:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio - Published Chicago: by Inter-State Publishing Co. - 1883 - page 1135

NOTES:

 



 
CLICK HERE to Return to
HOCKING CO., OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights