OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

 

Welcome to
HENRY COUNTY
OHIO

BIOGRAPHIES

A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - J - K - L - M
N - OPQ - R - S - T - UV - W - XYZ

Transcribed by Sharon Wick

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
THEODORE M. GEHRETT, M. D.  In comparison of the relative value to mankind of the various professions and pursuits, it is widely recognized that none is so important as the medical profession. From the cradle to the grave human destiny is largely in the hands of the physician - not alone on account of the effect he may have on the physical system, but also upon the mental or moral development.  One of the ablest representatives of this noble calling in Henry county, is Doctor Gehrett, who is successfully engaged in practice in Deshler and vicinity.
     Our subject was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, November 27, 1865, and was brought to Henry county in 1863 by his parents, Henry and Lydia (Valentine) Gehrett.  The mother died in 1864, but the father is still living, and has been prominently identified with the agricultural interests of the county since locating here.  The Doctor completed  his military education in Hiram (Ohio) College, graduating from that institution in 1875, and subsequently he entered the Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati, where he was granted the degree of M. D. on his graduation in 1879.  In the fall of 1880 he opened an office in Deshler, where his skill and ability soon gained for him a large and constantly increasing practice.  He is now the oldest physician in the village, and being one of the best in the county, he was appointed a member of the United States examining surgeons for Henry county in 1888 by Mr. Tanner.  In the ranks of the medical fraternity he has won an enviable place, and is now an honored member of the Northwestern Ohio Medical Society, the Ohio State Medical Association, and the American Medical Association.
     On March 13, 1879, in Napoleon, Henry county.  Doctor Gehrett was united in marriage with Miss Alice Thrapp, a daughter of Willliam Thrapp, of that city, and they have become the parents of two children; Carol and Madge.  The family is one of prominence, its members being leaders in social circles of the community.
Source:  Commemorative Biographical Records of Northwestern Ohio including the counties of Defiance, Henry, Williams & Fulton.  Published at Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co. 1899.
JOHN CONRAD GROLL, Flat Rock, Holgate p. o., was born Mar. 14, 1841, in the kingdom of Wurtemberg, Germany, and was a son of John and Frederica (Eckert) Groll, who emigrated from Germany and settled in Marion, Henry county, in 1852, and in 1861 they settled in Pleasant township.  John sr., died in 1885, at the age of seventy-years leaving a widow and six children: John C., Christian, William, Frederica, Magdalene and Joanna.  John Conrad enlisted in Company K, 107th Ohio Volunteers, Aug. 22, 1862, and was discharged July 10, 1865, at Charleston, S. C.  He served much of the time, as wagon master in detached service.  He was married in 1867 to Mary Yetter.  They have had six children: John J., George C., Julius D., Amelia C., Emma J., Martha M.  Mr. Groll has held the office of trustee for four years.  He purchased his present farm of 320 acres in 1865, which was then heavily timbered land.  He now has 200 acres of highly improved land and has erected first class buildings.  His grandfather, John Eckert, served in Napoleon I's army during the invasion of Russia.  Mary was a daughter of Jacob and Mary (Hermann) Yetter, of Wurtemberg, Germany, who emigrated to Liverpool, Medina County, O., in 1831, and settled in Henry county in 1850.
Source:  History of Henry & Fulton Counties -
edited by Lewis Cass Aldrich - Syracuse NY - Publ. D. Mason & Co. 1888. - Page 669
HON. H. C. GROSCHNERHerman Christian Groschner, the subject of this sketch, was born in Baddelaben, Prussia, on the 4th day of February in the year 1844.  He was one of the younger children of Jaob C. and Dorothy Groschner, who will be remembered among the highly respected German families of Napoleon.  The family emigrated from Prussia when Herman was but seven years of age, and took up their residence at Buffalo, N. Y., where the father found employment at his trade, that of a blacksmith and carriage maker.  They lived in that city but one year, when they moved to Defiance county, O., only to remain there six months; thence to Florida, in this county, and, a little later, to the county seat of Henry county, at which place he lived up to the time of his death.  Herman C. was employed in assisting his father in the shop.  He proved an apt helper, and soon became conversant with the English language.  At the age of fifteen years he became clerk in a hardware store at Defiance, and remained there four years, during which time he learned the detail of the business, and, being able to speak both German and English, soon became a valuable employee.  When about twenty-one he accepted a managing position in the hardware store of Henry Kahlo, a pioneer merchant of Napoleon, with whom young Groschner remained until the proprietor sold to Imber & Gillis, when the young man was given the management of the business.  Soon after Mr. Groschner became an actual partner, being for two or three years associated with the junior member of the former firm; and from that until the present time he has held an interest, either as part or sole owner.  He was connected with the business under the several firms of Gillis & Groschner, Groschner & Hellers, and Groschner & Reddderson, but in May, 1887, he purchased his partner's interest in the stock and became sole proprietor.
     It must be remembered that when our subject commenced his business life he was wholly without means, and whatever of success has attended his efforts has been the result of his own personal energy and industry.  His position, for some years, was taht of a clerk, but by the interest he showed in the welfare of his employer's business, he gradually became entitled to more than a clerk's position.  Of course, with advancement, there came increased salary and greater responsibility on his part; step by step has he advanced, until now he is sole proprietor of a large and well-stocked hardware establishment, added to which are special branches, and all requiring close and careful attention.  Mr. Groschner's store on Perry street, in Napoleon, is in the business center of the town, and his trade is large and constantly increasing.
     It would seem that a man whose business cares are so great would find but little opportunity to indulge in the worry and labor of politics; nevertheless, he in not wanting in political zeal and ambition, both in local and State affairs.  In Napoleon he has served in several capacities; first, he was treasurer, and later a member of the board of education,  holding in the last named office for nine years, and being on the most important committee of that body.  He was the successful candidate for the office of representative in the Legislature of Ohio, and took his seat in 1879.  At the expiration of his first term he was renominated in convention, and again became a member of that body, serving in all, four years.  Again, at the earnest solicitation of friends, he became a candidate for senatorial honors, but was twice defeated in convention; but in 1885, he was the nominee of hte Democracy of the 33d Senatorial District, comprising the counties of Lucas, Hancock, Putnam, Henry, Fulton and Wood, and was elected by a good majority.
     As a member of each branch of the Ohio Legislature, Mr. Groschner served with credit to himself and with satisfaction to his people; he originated no special measures, but identified himself with such acts as seemed for the general welfare.  It was his policy to acquaint himself with the duties of his position, and then act understandingly.  During his two years in the Senate he was a member of the following important committees: Finance, board of public works, labor, roads and highways (chairman), ditches and drainage, fish culture and game, board of public survey.
     In the fall of 1887 Mr. Groschner was renominated by the District Senatorial Convention, but owing, in a measure, to the extraordinary efforts of the opposition party in behalf of their candidate, he was defeated at the polls.
     At the age of twenty-three years, in 1867, soon after having become a resident of Napoleon, Herman C. Groschner was united in marriage with Miss Caroline Darrah, of Toledo.  Of this marriage there has been born seven children, six of whom are still living - two girls and four boys.
Source:  History of Henry & Fulton Counties -
edited by Lewis Cass Aldrich - Syracuse NY - Publ. D. Mason & Co. 1888. - Page 625
LUCIEN B. GUNN, Napoleon, now a resident of Toledo, was born in Cleveland, O., in 1814, and was a son of Squire Charles and Elizabeth (Matthews) Gunn, who were married in Cleveland in 1812 and settled in Napoleon township in 1814.  Theyhad a family of seven children six of whom are now living: Lucien B., Louisa, Elliott, Edward, Elijah and Minerva, and Mary Ann (deceased).  Squire Charles  died April 30, 1832; his wife, Elizabeth, died April 10, 1832.  Charles was a son of Elijah, who was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, and came to America while a young man and in revolutionary days.  Llucien B. Gunn was married in 1845 to Harriet Jenison, of Lucas county, O.  They have had four children: Sophia, Alice, Minerva and Loraine.  Alice Victory was married May 7, 1884, to Charles Van Hyning, of Napoleon, and Sophia married William L. MarionLucien B. settled in Toledo in1862.
Source:  History of Henry & Fulton Counties -
edited by Lewis Cass Aldrich - Syracuse NY - Publ. D. Mason & Co. 1888. - Page 670
WILLIAM W. GUNN, Flat Rock, Florida p. o., was born in Flat Rock township in January, 1835, and was a son of pioneer Elijah and Elenor (Grant) Gunn.  They were born in Massachusetts, he in 1794.  They died in Ohio, she in May, 1838, aged thirty-one years.  They had a family of five children, four of whom are now living: Catharine, Lucretia, William and Julian.  Elijah married for a third wife, Mrs. Dorcas Watterman.  They had three children: Cyrus, Cornelius and Cornelia.  She died in November, 1869, aged 69 year; he died in January, 1875, aged 81 years.  Two infant sons died in 1843.  Cyrus died August, 1864, aged twenty-three years, a soldier in the late war.  Elijah settled in Flat Rock in 1827, coming there from Waterville, Lucas county.  He was the son of Elijah Gunn, who was born in Scotland and was a soldier in Washington's army, a pioneer of Ohio July 4, 1796, and of the Maumee Valley in1815; died September 1855, aged ninety-five years.  Elijah jr., was a soldier in the war of 1812.  All three soldiers are buried in the family burying ground on the Gunn Farm in Flat Rock township, on the north bank of the Maumee River.  William W. Gunn was married in 1858 to Arastine Lowry, a daughter of Washington and Mary (Naggle) Lowry; she was born in December, 1840.  They had a family of five children, four of whom are now living: Charles W., born January, 1860; Mary 'E., born March 1863, and died December 1868; George W. born September, 1869; Lillie B., born September, 1872; Ida M. born July, 1877.  Charles W. was married to Clara S. Warsner in1882.
Source:  History of Henry & Fulton Counties -
edited by Lewis Cass Aldrich - Syracuse NY - Publ. D. Mason & Co. 1888. - Page 670
CLICK HERE to Return to
HENRY COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights