OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
HARDIN COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy


HISTORY OF HARDIN COUNTY, OHIO
Containing
A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches,
Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Military
Record; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent
Men; History of the Northwest Territory;
History of Ohio; Miscellaneous
Matters, Etc., Etc.
ILLUSTRATED
Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co.
1883.

 

LYNN TOWNSHIP
Pg. 748

     This was the last constituted township of Hardin County; the act of the Commissioners setting apart this territory, which was taken from Buck, Taylor Creek and McDonald Townships, as a new township, was done Sept. 8, 1857, and named by them "Silver Creek."  An election was duly called, and the same was held at the house of W. D. Gunn, on Sept. 19, 1857, with A. A. Piper, Milton Iron and Nathaniel Norman as Judges; J. M. Piper and W. D. Gunn, Acting Clerks.  The following officers were elected Trustees:  Joseph Brown, S. S. Cutts and Daniel S. Vermillion; Clerk J. M. Piper; Treasurer, John Rice; Constable, M. Borst.  On Apr. 5, 1858, was held a regular township election, when the same officers as mentioned above were re-elected, and, in addition, A. A. Piper was elected Assessor.  At the above-mentioned election, Sept. 8, 1857, a vote was taken by the citizens upon the name of the new township should take.  Three names were proposed and voted for, viz., Lynn, Fillmore and Silver Creek.  For the former twenty-one votes were cast; four for Fillmore and two for Silver Creek; hence its name was established by its citizens to be Lynn, and from that time since it has been recognized as Lynn Township.  This township is abundantly supplied with a species of tree known as the Lynn tree, and this, it is said, was the pretext for its name.  The township occupies a central position in the county, and is bounded as follows:  On the north by Cessna Township, on the east by Cessna and Buck Townships, on the south by Taylor Creek, and on the west by McDonald Township.  It is about six miles long from north to south, and three and seven-eights miles wide from east to west, containing twenty-three and one-quarter square miles, or 14,880 acres.

STREAMS, SURFACE, SOIL, TIMBER, ETC.

 

 

 

Page 749 -
 

 

Page 750 -

EARLY SETTLERS.

     As nearly all of the first settlers are deceased, and as in this township it appears that in many instances their descendants, who still survive, have all moved away, thus making it more difficult to obtain as definite information, in some cases, as we would desire, yet we have endeavored to make use of all the remaining sources from which to obtain a knowledge of them, and from what we have gathered it seems very probable that

     John Canaan was the first permanent settler in what is now Lynn Township.  He came here from near Hanging Rock, on the Ohio River, about 1828, and settled near where Henry Norman now lives, where he resided many years, and perhaps till his death.  His children are all deceased or moved away.  Of his children were Miritta, William, Jehu, Washington, and it is believed some others whose names we could not learn.  Washington was killed in a well, which accident is mentioned on another page.  One grandson, a son of Jehu, now resides in Kenton, this county.

     William Haines was probably the next settler, who located here near where Mrs. Canaan settled at about the same time.  It appears that he married Miss Nancy Hatfield in Logan County, Ohio, and removed from there here and remained a resident here till death.  He served as a soldier in the war of 1812.  They had the following children:  Elizabeth, Sarah, Matilda, Jackson and Thomas.

     Daniel S. Vermillion was born in Monroe County, W. Va., Oct. 7, 1807.  He married Priscilla Hisey in 1830.  He removed to Ohio and settled in Lynn Township in 1834, upon the tract of land where he still lives, having made a continued residence here of nearly half a century.  He was one of the first Trustees of the township, and  has been one of her enterprising and useful citizens whose biographical sketch appears in this work, giving a more full account of his wife and family.

     William Koons, it is believed, was a native of Virginia, where he married Martha Shepherd, but early removed to Ohio and settled near Bellefontaine.  About 1836-37, he removed to this township and settled on the David Wallace Survey, and remained near where he first located till his death.  His children were Martha and Mary (twins), William and Jacob.

     Edward Wilcox was twice married; his second wife was Mrs. Jane Monroe, whom he married in Ross County, and, about 1836-37, removed to this county and settled on land where his son James now lives, and there resided till his death.  He was a quiet, unassuming man, a good neighbor and a worthy citizen.  Their children were Anna, John, Aaron, William, Sarah, Jane, James, Edward, Gordon and Thomas.  Joseph Brown married Elizabeth Koons and removed here from Logan County soon after Mr. William Koons settled here, and located just west of him on the Wallace Survey, where it is believed he remained till his death.  His children were Martha, Jacob and John.

     Jonathan Wilcox, a brother of the above Edward Wilcox, married Roxaline McConkey; settled here about 1839-40, was a blacksmith by trade and carried on that business through life; he was, it is believed, the first mechanic of that trade in this township.  He seemed to possess a natural mechanical genius, and was an excellent workman.  Subsequently he removed to Belle Centre.  His children were Anna, Eliza, Sarah, George W. (now a blacksmith at Round Head, John and Alexander.

     Clement Rice was a native of Pennsylvania, where he married Eliza McCracken, and at an early day removed to Muskingum County, Ohio; thence, in 1832, he removed with his family to this county and settled where

Page 751 -
Mrs. Mary Rice now lives in Lynn Township, and here resided till his death.  Of his children, James, John, Robert, Richard, William, Rebecca and Margaret are deceased; George resides in Fayette County, Ohio, and Thomas in Taylor Creek Township, this county.  John, who was the oldest child who came to this county, married Eliza Seaton and settled near his father, where he resided till his death.  He died Dec. 20, 1861, aged fifty-nine years.  He was a man of undoubted integrity and held many of the most important offices of his township; he was several years Treasurer of Taylor Creek Township, and at the organization of Lynn Township was elected its first Treasurer and held the office by continued re-election up to the time of his death.  In an early day he served as a Captain in the militia, and at one time served as County Assessor.  He was a worthy member of the United Presbyterian Church, and a useful and worthy citizen.  His children were Calvin (deceased), Robert, Rebecca, John S., Thomas, Adam M., Nancy Jane, Albert N. (deceased), and Martha A.  All those surviving are residents of Hardin County, except Thomas, who resides in Fayette County, Ohio.

     Robert Stewart, a native of Virginia, married Isabella McDonald, and, in 1841, removed to Ohio and settled in this township on land now owned by the heirs of Davis Derr.  After a residence here of many years, and having cleared up and obtained a good farm and home, he removed to Illinois, but remained there but a short time, when he removed back to Hardin County; thence he removed to Kansas, remaining there only two or three years;  he again returned to this county, where he died, Jan. 25, 1868, aged seventy years.  His wife survived him and died May 1, 1876, aged eighty.  Their children were as follows:  William, Mary, Martha Jane (deceased), John, Rebecca (deceased), James (deceased) and Robert, who died in infancy.

     William Wilkin, married a Miss Holmes and removed from Highland County, Ohio, to Hardin County about 1844, and settled on land on the A. Walke Survey, where he resided till his death.  Of his children, two are remembered, Mary and Curtis.

     Henry Albert was born in Switzerland, but emigrated to America in an early day and became a resident of Clark County, Ohio.  In 1845-46, he removed to this county and settled on the Walter Dun Survey, No. 9,935, where he resided till 1881; he removed to Illinois.  He was a kind neighbor and a good citizen.  His children were Martin, Frank, William, Philip and John.

     John R. Gunn was born in Logan County, Ohio, Oct. 24, 1814.  He had two brothers, Walter D. and Robert, and one sister, Isabella S.  Their father, John Gunn, was born in Sutherlandshire, Scotland, in 1770; emigrated to Canada in 1800 with the English Army, in which he served several years.  He finally settled in Montreal, thence at Malden, and from there went to Wapakoneta, as a trader among the Indians in 1804.  In 1808, he removed to Logan County, Ohio, and settled on McKees Creek, where, during the war of 1812, he kept a tavern and rendered aid to the United States in the Commissary Department, for which services, after his decease, his widow received a warrant for 160 acres of land.  He died in 1842.  His widow survived him many years and died in 1864.  John R. married Miss Emily Garrett in 1844, about two years after having settled in this county.  He became a resident of Lynn Township in 1842, with his two brothers, Walter D. and Robert, all of whom followed surveying, and many lands of Union, Logan, Hardin and Champaign Counties were sur-

Page 752 -
veyed by them.  John R. Gunn was an active, enterprising business man, and became a large land holder, owning 1,000 acres or more.  He took an active part in all the public improvements of his community, and in building or roads, schools and churches.  His children were as follows:  Mary A., Clara, Angus, Agnes, Alice, John M., Kenneth C. C., Florence V., Elgin and Robert.

     Nathaniel Norman was a native of Virginia, born Oct. 30, 1805.  He married Tabitha Perry and settled in Brooke County, Va.  In 1847, he removed to Hardin county, Ohio, and settled in this township on land where his son, Henry W., now lives remaining her until his death of Feb. 11, 1872; his wife died Feb. 8, 1868.  Mr. Norman served as a Justice of the Peace eighteen years, and filled the office of Township Trustee and other offices many years.

     Amos Piper was born near Lowell Mass., July 31, 1792, and was united in marriage to Betsey Caldwell, and removed to Ashland County, Ohio, in 1834, and to Lynn Township, Hardin County, in 1848.  He died Jan. 1, 1868; his wife died Feb. 8, 1855.  He served one year in the war of 1812.

MILLS.

 

 

 

SCHOOLS.

 

 

 

CHURCHES.

 

Page 753 -

 

 

 

 

SOCIETIES.

 

 

AN ACCIDENT.

     In 1854, while several men were engaged in digging a well near the Norman Schoolhouse, two men, Washington Canaan and William Rice, were killed by "fire-damp" in the well.  It is believed that carelessness, recklessness and ignorance were the causes of this disaster, by which two men in the prime of life lost their lives.

Page 754 - (BLANK PAGE)

 

Page 755 -


ALONZO HARVEY

 

NOTES:

 

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
HARDIN COUNTY
INDEX PAGE

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights