This subdivision was organized in 1837, and at the first
election in the fall of that year Hugh W. McElroy was
elected Justice of the Peace, and Amariah Thorne,
Lewis Long and Hugh W. McElroy, Trustees.
There were eleven votes cast at this election, which was held at
the house of Amariah Thorne, and where they were
continued to be held until the erection of the schoolhouse in
Ada, in 1851, since which they have been held in that town.
The election records of the township have, many of them, been
destroyed, hence it is difficult to give all the early officers.
John Latimer was elected Justice of the Peace in
1840-41, and served by re-election many years. This
township occupies the extreme northwest corner of Hardin County,
and is known as Township 3 south, Range 9 east, and is bounded
on the north by Hancock County, east by Washington Township,
south by Marion Township and west by Allen County, and is six
sections square, containing thirty-six square miles, or 23,040
James Marshall Candler, a
native of Campbell County, Va., emigrated to Ohio with his
parents while a young man, and they first settled in Clinton
Page 709 -
County, Ohio; thence they removed to Madison County, and, in
1829, they removed to Allen County and settled near La Fayette;
thence, in 1832, they removed to this township and settled on
the southwest quarter of Section 7, where his father died on
Sept. 3, 1835, and was buried upon his own place, being the
first person interred on what is known as the Candler
Cemetery. Mr. Candler was united in marriage
with Susanna Rayl, of Allen County. Here
Mr. Candler settled, and began his pioneer work.
He deadened the first tree, burned the first brush heap, in
fact, did the first pioneer work in Liberty Township, as he was
the first white settler within its precincts. Mr.
Candler resided on this place about twenty-four years,
opened out a good farm and made good improvements, and during
this period he cleared for other people, in the neighborhood and
vicinity. 116 acres of land, which, including what he has
cleared for himself upon his own farms, numbers over two hundred
acres, which probably few men, if any, have ever exceeded or
equaled. And while Mr. Candler has been one
of the most active of the early settlers in secular matters, he
has also been an active worker in the Christian Church, having
organized many churches in various localities for that
denomination, and has been an ordained minister for twenty-three
years. In 1873, he located on the farm where he now lives,
on Section 16, where he has since resided. He has ever
taken great interest in schools and the education of the rising
generation, knowing, from experience in his younger years, the
want of school privileges, giving his early attention and aid to
the establishing of schools in this neighborhood in its early
settlement. He was instrumental in getting up the first
subscription school ever taught in Liberty Township. He is
the father of the following children: Alvira S., Roxanna A.,
Nancy M., James M., John W. and William E., who now survive,
and Prudence A. and Mary Jane, deceased.
John Latimer came from
Columbiana County, Ohio, to Richland County, where he married
Jane Bell, a native of Pennsylvania, and, in the
spring of 1835, removed to Hardin County and settled on land now
owned by John Lynch on Section 8, where he opened out
right in the forest, and, it is believed, was the second settler
to locate in what is now Liberty Township. and was also
the second man to fill the office of Justice of the Peace of
this township, and served in this office by re-election many
years. He also filled most of the offices of his township.
He was a man of great integrity, kind hearted and generous to a
fault, too much so for his own financial good, accommodating his
friends and neighbors, who, in some instances, proved unworthy
of the confidence he so generously reposed in them. He was
a worthy member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for many
years. He died about 1866, on the place where he first
settled, aged fifty-six years, and in his death this community
and' township lost one of its noblest and best citizens.
His widow still survives. Their children were eleven in
number, of whom Sarah Jane, William, John, Almira and
Robert B. are now living; the deceased were James,
Elizabeth, George, Margery Ann, Nancy and one infant.
George Hacket, the third
settler, was a native of Richland County, Ohio, and married
Sarah Latimer, and, in the fall of 1835, came to this
township and settled on land now owned by Mrs. Stover.
In 1840, he erected a grist mill, run by water, on Hog Creek. It
was built on land now owned by Mrs. Sperr.
This was the first mill for grinding ever erected in Liberty
Township and did quite a business and was a great convenience to
the community for several years, until he was compelled to
remove it by
Page 710 -
complaint of one of his neighbors, on account of the dam backing
water upon his land. Soon after Mr. Hacket
settled here he was injured by a falling free, and there being
no physicians here at that date, he returned to his native
county for treatment, and as soon as restored sufficiently
returned here and erected the above~mentioned mill. About
1852, he removed with his family to Iowa, where his wife died;
he still survives.
W. McElroy, a native of Ireland, married Susanna
Brooks, of Fayette County, Penn; then became a settler of
Columbiana County, Ohio, and, in the spring of 1836. removed to
this township and settled on the southwest quarter of Section 1.
This 160 acres of land he had previously entered from the
Government, and here he struck the first blow to clear up his
land from the mighty forest to make a home and a farm, and here
resided till his death. He died Oct. 3. 1854, aged
fifty-seven years. His wife survived him many years, and
died Nov. 23, 1875, aged seventy-six years. Mr.
McElroy was a true pioneer, and was here at the erection of
the township and voted at its first election, and was elected
the first Justice of the Peace. He was a reliable and
worthy citizen and a devoted member of the Disciple Church. He
was the father of sixteen children, viz., James J., David,
Joseph, William, George, Henry and Mary Jane, now
living; and John, Thomas, Elizabeth,
Margaret, Hugh D., Jacob and four who died in
infancy, all deceased. John McElroy, a
brother of Hugh W., was born on the ocean while his
parents were coming to America. He married Sarah Weaver
and settled in this township, on the northwest corner of Section
1, in 1836, and resided here till his death. His children
were George and John, deceased, and Jacob,
Polly, Betsey, James, Hugh,
Margaret J. and Sarah Ann, now living. Thomas
McElroy, also a brother of the above Hugh W., was
born in Fayette County, Penn., in 1806; in 1811, with his
parents, he removed to Columbiana County, Ohio, where he was
married to Elizabeth Morrison, and, in 1836, came
to Hardin County and entered 160 acres of land just over the
line in Hancock County. Here he opened out in the woods,
cleared up a good farm and made improvements until he had a
pleasant home, where he resided till, about 1875, he removed to
Ada, where he has since resided. His wife died Jan. 22,
1880. His children were John, Catharine and Elizabeth.
deceased, and Hamilton, James, Thomas, Frank, Ann
and Sarah, who still survive.
Thorne came to this township from Trumbull County, in 1836,
and settled on the northwest quarter of Section 15. He married
Cassander Thorne, a daughter of William Thorne,
one of the early settlers of Washington Township. Mr.
Thorne remained a resident on the land where he first
located until his death, and his remains were interred upon his
brother, Noah Thorne’s, farm. Mr.
Thorne was a true type of the pioneer, and endured his
numerous hardships. He was a noted hunter in those days of
abundance of game. At his house was held the first
election of the township, where they continued to be held until
the erection of a schoolhouse at Ada, about 1851. Mr.
Thorne had a large family of children, must of whom are
deceased—one son died while serving in the army in the war of
the rebellion. Mrs. Thorne still survives,
and resides on the old home place with her daughter Tabitha.
Noah Thorne, a brother of Amariah Thorne,
settled at the same date on land adjoining him on the south.
Here he resided several years, during which time his wife died,
and soon after he removed back to their native State of
Richard M. Johnson, a native
of Westmoreland County, Penn., emigrated to' Richland County,
Ohio, in 1820, with his parents, where they died and
Page 711 -
where he married Rebecca Walkup, and, in the
spring of 1836, removed to this county and settled on the
northwest quarter of Section 15, where he entered forty acres of
land, upon which he erected his cabin and commenced in the
woods, and here he still lives, having made a continued
residence of forty-seven years. After he located here, he
says he lived six weeks with out seeing the face of a white man.
He was one of the eleven voters at the first election after the
organization of Liberty Township. Mr. Johnson
experienced the “true inwardness” of pioneer life. He saw the
erection of the first house and the first business interest of
the new thriving town of Ada; has seen her spread her
incorporate limits and erect her fine houses, until all his land
is embraced within its limits and fine dwellings erected to his
place and beyond it, a distance of more than half a mile
northward from where the first house was built; and has also
witnessed the extension of the town to an equal distance in a
southward direction. And well may he exclaim, “ What a
wonderful change!” Mr. Johnson is a man of
re served habits, very unassuming, but of undoubted integrity.
He is the father of the following children, viz.: Barbara,
Margery, Andrew, Austin, John, Lydia,
Mary and Samuel, all of whom are living except
David Sleichter was a native of
Pennsylvania, but who became an early settler of Columbiana
County; thence, about 1835-36, he removed to this township and
settled on the southwest quarter of Section 32.
Subsequently he removed to Ada, and in partnership with
Calvin Gilbert erected a steam grist mill - the first
in Liberty Township - but soon after sold the mill property and
entered upon the grocery trade, but subsequently removed to
Michigan; thence to Indiana, where he died. His children
were George, Catharine, David, Emanuel
Pugh settled on the southwest quarter of Section 28, about
1836-37, where he resided till his death, an honored and
respected citizen. His children were as follows:
Cornelius, James, Catharine, Henry and
Philip Hoon, a native of
Ireland, came here from Columbiana County, Ohio, and settled on
the east half of Section 28, in the spring of 1838, and here
resided till his death. He died Apr. 17, 1858, aged
fifty-seven years, and his remains were interred upon his own
farm, but were subsequently dis-interred and placed in an
established cemetery just south of his place. He married
Mary Angerstein. His children were Daniel, John,
Julia Ann, Harriet, Catharine and Elizabeth.
Sapp settled on the southeast quarter of Section 21, on what
has since been known as the "Dobbins place" andis now
embraced in the village of Ada, about 1837. In 1839, he
erected a horse mill for grinding - the first in Liberty
Township - but remained here only a few years and moved away.
John Wilson, a native of Virginia, married Elizabeth
Thorne, and settled on the southwest quarter of Section 10,
about 1837-38. Here he opened a country store, being the
first merchant in this township. At one time he had quite
a large stock of goods, but failed to make a financial success,
and finally removed his goods to Kenton. Mr. Wilson
dealt largely in stock and in furs, and especially in coon
skins, and in consequence of the large amount of the latter
which he purchased and sold, he was termed "Coon Skin Wilson."
He at one time did quite an extensive business, and was well
known over a large extent of country. Of his children were
Thomas, Martin and James; the former is deceased.
Hoon, a brother of Philip Hoon, was born in Somerset
Page 712 -
Penn., in 1808; in 1816, with his parents, he
removed to Columbiana County, Ohio, and, in 1837-38, removed to
Liberty Township with his parents, five brothers and four
sisters. He entered forty acres of land on Section 28.
He paid the Government $50, all the money he had. Then he
worked here and there for his neighbors as he could obtain work,
and finally cleared up his land, raised grain and sold it for 40
cents perbushel, purchased more land, and before his death owned
a good and valuable farm. He lived a life of celibacy and
died Feb. 16, 1881, aged seventy-three years.
Issam G. Kindle, a native of
Virginia, emigrated with his parents to Perry County, Ohio,
where they died. There Issam married Anna
Plummer, and, in 1836, removed to this county and settled on
the southeast quarter of Section 7, where he resided till his
death. He died, a few years since, at an advanced age.
He was a man of marked eccentricities, yet of strict integrity;
an excellent neighbor and a worthy citizen. He was four
times married and was the father of twenty children, all of whom
are now deceased except five, viz., Lucinda, Eliza, Andrew,
Thomas and Harman. Robert Kindle, a
brother if Issam G., came here at same date. He
died many years ago. His wife survived him and died in
1881 or 1882. Of his children were Elizabeth, James,
Mary, John and Catharine.
Nicholas High, a native of
Germany, married Charlotte Sutter, and, in 1833,
emigrated to America and settled in Richland County, Ohio.
In 1838, they removed to Hardin county and settled on Section
28, Liberty Township, where his son Nicholas now resides,
and here remained till, his death, on Oct. 6, 1846. His
widow still survives, and resides on the old homestead with her
son. After their arrival, and before their cabin was
completed, he was taken sick, and Mrs. High
chinked and daubed the cabin, and brought it into condition so
they could live in it. For some time they hauled and
carried their water from the Runser place, a
distance of nearly two miles, until they succeeded in getting a
well dug. They were a family who knew and experienced full
well the deprivations and hardships of pioneer life; but their
labors were not in vain, for were duly rewarded, and now they
have a beautiful farm and home. They had the following
children: Elizabeth, Jacob, Barbara,
Nicholas and Catharine, and two who died in Germany.
Thomas Ryan settled on land now owned by Evan
Jackson in Section 35, about 1835. H e was crippled and
could not farm, but obtained his livelihood by manufacturing
measures for measuring grain, and after a few years’ residence
here he moved away.
Robert Hyndman was born in
County Antrim, Ireland, in 1804; emigrated to America in 1834,
and, in the fall of 1838, came to Hardin County and settled on
the south half of the northeast quarter of Section 20, where he
has ever since resided. He erected a small log cabin; now
he has a good farm and good buildings and improvements.
Being a man of intelligence, and of unquestioned integrity, his
fellow-citizens have repeatedly placed him in service as a
township officer. He served as Treasurer twelve years
successively. When he first settled here, the Wyandot
Indians were in the habit of hunting through the forests, and
one morning he heard the sharp crack of a rifle near his barn in
the edge of the clearing, and there he found an Indian skinning
a deer, who kindly gave him a piece for his breakfast. The
Indians were very friendly, and often came to his cabin and ate
with him. He remarked one peculiarity in the Indians -
they were always hungry; and were great eaters whenever they
could have an oppor-
Page 713 -
tunity to gratify their appetites. Mr. Hyndman
was accustomed to attend most of the cabin-raisings and log-rollings
in the settlement for many years, and thus experienced the
difficulties and hardships of the early settlers; for then all
were glad to see new neighbors come to improve the land of the
township. It was then the custom to have plenty of whisky
at such gatherings, and it was generally freely used; yet Mr.
Hyndman claims to have been a strict temperance man and
refrained from the use of all stimulants on all occasions, and
this virtue, with his many other good qualities, gave him a high
position in the esteem and confidence of his many acquaintances.
came from Morgan County, Ohio, and settled on Section 31,
Liberty Township, in 1838-39, where he resided till his death.
He married Mary Swift, by whom he had several children,
but all have died or moved away.
-------SHARON WICK's Notes:
The following was found at Ancestry.com:
Ohio, U. S. County Marriage Records, 1774-1993 -
Name: Daniel Emerson - Gender: Male - Marriage Date: 12
Oct. 1835 - Marriage Place: Morgan, Ohio, USA - Spouse: Mary
Swift - Film No. 000910657 (See
copy) According to a family tree on Ancestry, Daniel was
born in 1813 in Washington Co., Ohio.
George Dougherty came from
Morgan County, and bought a piece of land of the above-mentioned
Mr. Emerson, upon which he settled in 1839-40. He
married a Miss Matheny. He died upon the place
where he first settled. His wife survived him several
years, and died while living with her daughter. Their
children were Joseph, Mary, Daniel, Jane, George and
William, of whom Joseph and George are still
residents of the township; all the others are either dead or
William Ansley, a native of
Tennessee, became an early settler of Logan County, and,
in1838-39, removed to this county and settled on Section 34 in
this township, where he now resides. He married
John Shuster was born in
Washington County, Penn., in 1800; in 1814, he removed with his
parents to Tuscarawas County, Ohio, where he married
Elizabeth Winget, in 1821. In 1839, he removed with
his family to Hardin County and settled on Section 9, Liberty
Township. He had previously, in 1834, entered his land.
In 1841, his house was destroyed by fire; it occurred in the
night, and nothing was saved out of the house but two feather
beds, the family barely escaping in their night-clothes.
He came here and commenced right in the woods with but $37.
His son Daniel went to Logan County and worked at $8 per
month to get provisions for the family until they could clear
land and raise a crop. His wife died Feb. 4, 1869.
For further particulars of the family, see biographical sketch
in another part of this work.
William Clappin was
born in Yorkshire, England, in 1793, where he married Sarah
Powell. In 1826, they emigrated to Quebec, Canada;
from there to Upper Sandusky, where they resided four years;
thence to Big Island Township, Marion County, and resided seven
years; thence, in 1839-40, came to this county and settled on
Section 26. About 1870-71, he left his farm and removed to
Ada, and resided several years; thence removed to Kenton, where
he now resides at the advanced age of ninety years.
Elijah Wilson was born in
the State of New York in 1801, but early emigrated to Washington
County, Ohio, and, in the fall of 1840, removed to Hardin County
and settled sixteen miles northwest of Kenton, where be engaged
in farming several years; thence he removed to within eight
miles of Kenton, where he kept a tavern; thence he removed to
Ada, where he lived till he died at the age of seventy-six
years. His wife died, aged sixty-eight years. They
were members of the Christian Church. Of their children,
George Wilson was born in Washington County in
1821, and came with his
Page 714 -
parents to this county in 1840, where he married and has since
resided - a period of forty-three years. He labored hard,
principally on the railroad, for thirty-five years. Mr.
Wilson says he helped to lay the first T-rail ever placed
upon a road in Ohio, at Sandusky. He is the father of
eight children, of whom only three survive.
The above embrace, we
think, most of the earliest settlers who came here prior to
1840. From this date to 1850, a large number came and
settled in Liberty Township, many of whom saw and experienced as
many hardships as those who came earlier, and truly lived and
performed a pioneer life. Of these, we mention John
Trassel, Esq., James Mustard, John J. Garlinger, Hammond
Gilbert, Eli Newman, George Rusher, Samuel Anspach, Solomon
Anspach, David Klingler, Charles Asire, John Long, John Shanks
and the Runser families and Horace Gilbert, all of whom have
been prominent, active and useful citizens of the township.
RAILROADS, ROADS, AND
the first settling of this township, as they opened out roads
from settlement to settlement, the flat and wet condition of the
surface made the roads, during a large portion of the year,
almost impassable. The soil was deep and rich, with a
wonderful capacity of retaining water. But as improvements
were made, and the lands ditched and drained, so the roads
became drier and in better condition for easy and comfortable
travel. One railroad, the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne &
Chicago, passes through the center of the township from east to
west. This was completed about 1853, and is one among the
best roads in Ohio. The building of this road gave a great
impetus to the improvement and progress of the township, opening
out a means of transportation both for imports and exports;
since which the progress of the township has been rapid and
permanent. During the last few years, much attention has
been given to the construction of pikes, several
having been completed. In the bed of Hog Creek is an
abundance of limestone, and here they have erected
stone-crushers, run by steam power, by which the stone is broken
up fine, and with which they build the best of macadamized
pikes. Of these is the Kenton & Ada pike, which has been
continued northward to within one mile of the Hancock County
line, and one from Ada westward to the Allen County line, and
one on the section line between Sections 30 and 31, following
said line eastward to the Washington Township line, and others
are in contemplation. These make solid, smooth and durable
Page 715 -
J. A. STANSELL, M.D.
Page 716 - (BLANK PAGE)
Page 717 -
NORTHWESTERN OHIO NORMAL SCHOOL.*
In the spring of 1866, H. S. Lehr, the preent Principal
of the institution, came to Ada, then called Johnstown, and made
the following proposition to the School Board: That he be
paid $60 per month for the first
* By H. S. Lehr.
Page 718 -
PROGRESS AND VICCISSITUDES OF THE INSTITUTION.
Page 719 -
METHOD OF ORGANIZATION.
Page 720 -
The following are the graduates of the institution, with the
occupation, so far as known:
S. P. Grey, merchant, Columbia, Tenn.
A. D. Snively, farmer, Xenia, Ohio.
C. W. Butler, Superintendent, Defiance, Ohio.
R. C. Eastman, attorney, Lima, Ohio.
Mollie Hickernell, nee Lindsey.
Sue Pooley, nee Fogle, deceased.
Metta Pifer, nee Ferrall.
E. L. Sincleir.
Anna Stayner, deceased.
J. W. Zellar, Superintendent, Findlay, Ohio.
U. R. Neisz.
J. M. Reid, Principal Normal School, Morill, Kan.
O. P. Wilson, farmer, Ada, Ohio.
Lottie Butler, nee Bloom
Mollie Deleal, nee McNerney.
Ollie Loveland, nee Dobbins.
A. C. Pierson, teacher, Hiram College.
G. W. Rutledge, editor Republican, Kenton, Ohio.
O. M. Bowman, teacher, Kansas.
E. L. Miller, editor, Kenton, Ohio.
A. M. Tidd, attorney, Marion, Ohio.
B. W. Waltermire, attorney, Forest, Ohio.
S. F. Wilson.
J. J. Houser, Superintendent, Belle Centre, Ohio.
Fannie Galbraith, teacher, Salt Lake City, U. T.
A. R. Huffman, deceased.
Fred Maglott, member faculty, N. W. O. N. S.
Eva Maglott, nee Sisson, teacher, N. W. O. N. S.
S. A. Court, attorney, Marion, Ohio.
M. Jay Ewing, teacher, N. W. O. N. S.
G. W. Hall.
U. G. Stringfellow, deceased.
E. D. Bosworth.
Page 721 -
W. D. Stratton.
D. G. Wylie, senior, Yale College.
Mary Dulebohn, nee Young.
Eva Drawn, teacher, Weston, Ohio.
Frank Hufford, Superintendent, Ada, Ohio.
Rose D. B. Holleywell, teacher, Kenton, Ohio.
Chloe B. Jones, teacher, Los Angelos, Cal.
H. E. Lacey, attorney, Athelston, Kan.
Charles Melhorn, attorney, Kenton, Ohio.
C. B. Hickernell, teacher, N. W. O. N. S.
R. L. Miller, Superintendent, Colorado Springs, Colo.
J. W. Caldwell, attorney, Toledo, Ohio.
J. Cook, Superintendent, Genoa, Ohio.
G. F. Getty, attorney.
L. E. Griffin, attorney, Hicksville, Ohio.
D. E. Niver, Superintendent, Nevada, Ohio.
S. J. Shetler, doctor, Justus, Ohio.
F. D. Ward, Superintendent, Le Roy, Ohio.
Cora Welsh, nee Houfstater.
C. G. Dulebohn.
C. S. Barron, minister.
A. E. Ewers.
J. H. Fimple.
Anson Shuster, teacher.
R. L. Starr, attorney, West Unity, Ohio.
D. W. Steiner, doctor.
Ewing, Stumm, teacher, Dunkirk, Ohio.
T. B. Black, attorney.
N. B. Colwell, civil engineer, Kenton, Ohio.
Alex Comrie, teacher, Ada, Ohio.
George Conley, Superintendent, Shiloh, Ohio.
O. E. DeWitt, teacher, Shiloh, Ohio.
A. M. Ebersole.
M. F. Egerman, teacher, Ada, Ohio.
W. B. Jackson, teacher.
C. D. Kelley, salesman, Kenton, Ohio.
Laura Krebs, teacher, Waynesfield, Ohio.
Flora Miller, nee Teegarden.
A. J. Meyres, insurance agent, Bucyrus, Ohio.
H. E. Neff, member faculty, N. W. O. N. S.
B. F. Stratton.
U. K. Stringfellow, teacher, Benton Ridge, Ohio.
R. J. Babbitt.
H. E. Blacksten, doctor.
J. L. Hampton, teacher, N. W. O. N. S.
F. V. Irish, teacher, N. W. O. N. S.
C. F. Zimmerman, Superintendent, Forest, Ohio.
Page 722 -
H. C. Campbell, Superintendent, Green Springs,
W. J. Cookson, druggist, Kalamazoo, Mich.
Nona Gilbert, teacher, Ada, Ohio.
J. F. Garvin.
Mary E. Holtz.
J. H. Peachey.
A. S. Rudy, doctor.
T. J. Robinson, teacher.
B. H. Turner, stock dealer, Col. Grove, Ohio.
H. P. Wagner, book dealer, Ada, Ohio.
W. H. Wagner.
S. P. Fisher, N. W. O. N. S.
Florence Harford, teacher, Michigan.
C. N. Haskins, teacher Deaf and Mute Institute,
A. E. Winter.
C. H. Apt.
B. T. Buchanan.
C. R. Carlo, Superintendent, La Fayette, Ohio.
T. H. Cecil.
I. J. Conklin, teacher, Morrill Normal School.
Regina M. Dixon, teacher, N. W. O. N. S.
P. H. Daub.
J. F. Kimerline, Superintendent, New Washington, Ohio.
J. F. Miller, editor, Franklin, Ohio.
W. T. Mooney.
S. P. Morgan.
S. S. Palmer.
R. E. Sawyer.
Mary C. Thomas.
R. S. Torbert.
W. H. Troup.
C. H. Workman, teacher, N. W. O. N. S.
D. E. Shaw.
J. M. De Ford.
The class of 1883 will have thirty-five members.
Present Proprietors: H. S. Lehr, A. M., President;
J. G. Park, A. M., Vice President; Fred Maglott,
A. M., H. E. Neff, B. S., Mrs. Rachel Stringfellow.
PRESENT CORPS OF INSTRUCTORS.
Page 723 -
Presbyterian Church of Ada. -
Page 724 -
The Christian Church
of Ada. -
Page 725 - (BLANK
Page 726 -
Page 727 -
Sousely; Clerk, Alva Gardner; Treasurer, N. R.
Park; Trustees, T. J. Wise, Evan Jackson, Mr. Phillips,
L. B. Sniff and H. S. Lehr.
Methodist Episcopal Church of Ada. -
Regular Baptist Church of Ada. -
Page 728 -
Catholic Church, Ada. * -
* By Rev. A. S. Siebenfoercher.
Page 729 -
Page 730 -
Evangelical Lutheran Church. -
Wesleyan Methodist Church at Ada. -
Summit Christian Church. -
Page 731 -
Ames Chapel, Methodist Episcopal Church. -
St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church and St. Paul's Reformed
Page 732 -
St. Paul's Reformed Church. -
Cemetery was probably the earliest established burial place in
the township. It is located on the old Candler farm,
in the south
Page 733 -
west corner of Section 7, and was dedicated as a burial place by
the reception of the body of Mr. Candler, the father of
James Marshall Candler, who died Sept. 3, 1835, since
which it has received a large number of the dead of this
neighborhood. The McElroy Cemetery, located near
the southwest corner of Section 1, was very early donated for a
burial place by Hugh W. McElroy, and received the body of
Heziah McBride, wife of John McBride, who
died Aug. 13, 1839, since which there have been interred here
many of the pioneers and others of this neighborhood.
Several of the early settlers were buried upon their own farms,
and some have been interred in adjoining townships. But
the principal cemetery of the township, and which is in the care
of the Trustees, is located about two miles south of Ada on the
northeast corner of Section 33. This is pleasantly
situated, and will now become the principal place of interment
for Liberty Township. The St. Paul Cemetery is located on
the northeast quarter of Section 30. It was donated to the
St. Paul Lutheran and the St. Paul Reformed Churches by David
A. Klingler, and contained two acres. Subsequently
one-half acre was sold to the Reformed Church, upon which they
erected their house of worship, so that it now contains one acre
and a half. It is well fenced and is in the care of six
Trustees, three of whom are appointed by the St. Paul Lutheran
Church, and the other three by the St. Paul Reformed Church.
They are as follows: Of the first-named church, George
Rasher, George H. Rusher and William Lones; of the
second-named church, John W. Klingler, Samuel Fought and
Jonas Long, with John W. Klingler as Treasurer and
George H. Rusher as Secretary. The first person
interred here was Adam Anspach, a son of
Solomon and Margaret Anspach.
Page 734 -
TOWNS AND VILLAGES.
Page 735 -
GEO. C. BORDERS.
Page 737 -
Ada Lodge, No. 1882, Knights of Honor. -
Page 738 -
Ada Lodge, A., F.
& A. M., No. 344,
Ada Lodge, No. 427, I. O. O. F. -
Ada Encampment, No. 226, I. O. O. F., was instituted June
26, 1882, by John N. VanDeman. Grand Patriarch.
Charter members: W. H. Morrow, J. N. Church, F. H.
Moses, J. H. Quint, J. M. Davis, L. Richeson, G. F. Marmon, A.
Shaw, George C. Tressel, D. J. Hull, R. S. Shanks, R. Davenport,
O. F. Clemmer, H. Schindewolf and Samuel Watt;
officers: G. F. Marmon, C. P.; J. H. Quint, H. P.; F. H.
Moses, S. W.; W. H. Morrow, S.; J. N. Church, Treasurer;
L. Richeson, S. W.; present membership, thirty-three;
present officers, F. H. Moses, C. P.; L. Richeson, H. P.; R.
S. Shanks, S. W.; W. H. Morrow, S.; J. N. Church, Treasurer;
and Jacob Clark, S. W.