From the most authentic sources now to be had, this township was
organized by the Commissioners in December, 1835, or at, their
first regular meeting in 1836, as the first general election was
held in the spring of the latter year at the cabin of Richard
Hamilton, and the first officers elected were as follows:
Township Clerk, George Adams; Justice of the
Peace, Alexander Anderson; Trustees, Benjamin
Ullin, George Lynch and John Fry;
Constable, Richard Hamilton. At this
election there were eleven votes cast, as follows: Allan
McBride, Mahlon McBride, Asa
Church, Alexander Anderson, John E. Fry,
Richard Hamilton, Jacob Slider,
Solomon Slider, Jacob Crow, George
Lynch and George Adams. The Judges at
this election were John E. Fry, Richard
Hamilton and Asa Church; Clerks, Alexander
Anderson and George Adams. This
subdivision of Hardin County is in the central part of the
northern tier of townships, and is designated as Town 3 south,
Range 10 east. It is bounded on the north by Hancock
County, on the east by Blanchard Township, on the south by
Cessna Township, and on the west by Liberty Township. It
is six sections or miles from east to west, and the same from
north to south, forming a perfect square of thirty-six sections,
or thirty-six square miles, containing an area of 23,040 acres.
STREAMS, SURFACE, SOIL AND PRODUCTIONS.
Page 688 -
ROADS AND PIKES.
Page 689 -
John Fry was one of the first to
locate within what is now Washington Township. He was a
native of Pennsylvania, and with his parents, Enoch and
Mary Fry, emigrated to Ohio at an early day and
settled in Coshocton County; thence, in 1832, removed to this
county and located on land now owned by Mrs. Hannah Curn
in Washington Township, from where, after a few years’
residence, they removed into Blanchard Township and settled on
land now owned by Alonzo Lynch, where the parents
died from that terrible and then prevailing disease-milk
sickness. Enoch Fry was the father of the
following children: Jacob, John, Joshua,
Daniel, Jonas, Stephen and Catharine.
Of these, John died of milk sickness; Daniel
accidentally shot himself, from the effects of which he died;
the balance of the children, after a few years’ residence here,
returned to Coshocton County, where Jacob resided till
his death, in April, 188l; Joshua and Catharine
still reside in that county. Jonas is now a
resident of Muskingum County, Ohio, and Stephen moved
West. John Fry, the second son, married
Mary Mowry, who was born in Pennsylvania, a daughter
of George W. Mowry, who settled in Blanchard Township in
1832, where he resided until his death: by her he had five
children - Enoch, George W., Charity,
Col. Jefferson and John. Of these,
Charity, the only daughter, died young; George W., in
1850, moved to Illinois; in 1851, to Oregon; in 1853, to
California, where he resided about twenty years, and thence
removed to Washington Territory, where he still resides;
Enoch, in the spring of 1851, crossed the plains to
California, where he remained about five years; started to
return by vessel, was shipwrecked, but was saved, and returned
to California, where he remained one year longer and then
returned to Ohio; and he, Col. Jefferson and
John are new residents of Blanchard Township. Enoch,
the eldest son above mentioned. served in the war of the
rebellion, four years, in the Ninth Regiment Iowa Volunteer
Infantry; Jefferson enlisted in the Eighty-second
Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served over three years,
and re-enlisted as a veteran; was taken prisoner and confined in
a rebel prison, but finally paroled. John also
served about one year near the close of the war in the One
Hundred and Seventy-eighth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry.
Andrew Petty settled and erected
the first cabin in the north part of the township about 1832-33,
but remained only a short time and moved away, Also another man
by the name of Petty, about 1833, settled on land now
owned by John Bame; was rather eccentric. an old
bachelor, never married, resided here a few years and also moved
away. About 1834, Mr. Young came from
Pennsylvania and settled upon the land that Andrew Petty
vacated, as mentioned above, but remained only a few years, when
he returned to Pennsylvania. Richard Hamilton,
a native of Richland County, Ohio, settled here one mile east of
North Washington. He married a
Page 690 -
Miss Lynch, a
daughter of George Lynch. He located here
about 1834, and resided about twenty-five years, and removed to
Idaho, where he still resides. The first election of the
township was held at his cabin, and he served as the first
Constable, also filled the office of Justice of the Peace for
more than twenty years.
John McBride settled on land now
owned by N. Ahlefeld and George McElroy about
1834, where he resided until his death in 1862. He was a
man of integrity, a good neighbor and worthy citizen. His
children were as follows: Margaret, Mahlon,
Allen and Mariah, who now survive and reside in the
West; Nancy, Rebecca and Love are deceased.
William Thorne was a native of
Maryland, then a resident of Virginia, where he married
Margaret Fulk, and removed to Columbiana County,
Ohio, thence to Trumbull County, and in July, 1836, came to this
county and settled on land now owned by Elizabeth
Summerville, where they resided till their death; he died
about 1848 and she about 1853. Their children were
James, Elizabeth, Henry, William,
Mary, Thomas, Cassander, Benjamin,
Sarah, Rachel. Jacob, Rebecca and one
that died in infancy.
Robert McMillen, of Irish
descent, came here from Knox County, Ohio, about the same date
and settled on land now owned by the heirs of Joseph Ream.
He was thrice married, his first wife dying before he came to
Hardin County; his second wife was Susanna Baker;
she died and he married Mary M. Smith. About 1843,
he moved to near Dunkirk, thence a short time prior to the war
of the rebellion he removed to Illinois, where his wife died.
He subsequently removed to Missouri, and died in that State.
Some of his children are dead and the balance of them are in the
Andrew Kridler was a native of
Pennsylvania, born in Washington County, and when young went to
Trumbull County, Ohio, where he married Mary Thorne,
and in the fall of 1836 came to this county and settled on land
now owned by Willie Young, where they resided
until their death. His wife died Dec. 8, 1866, aged
fifty-nine years. Subsequently Mr. Kridler
married, for his second wife, Margaret Arnold, who
was also a native of Pennsylvania. Mr. Kridler
died Oct. 2, 1870, aged sixty-three years, and in twenty-four
days after, or Oct. 26, 1870, his wife died of cancer.
Mr. Kridler was a resident here thirty-four years,
and sustained an unblemished character for honor and integrity,
and was a worthy member of the Christian Church. He was
the father of the following children: Elizabeth,
Cassander, Henry, Albert, Margaret,
Lucinda, Andrew J., Sarah A., Samuel,
Mary Matilda and one died in infancy.
Gum came here from Knox County, Ohio, but was a native of
the State of Delaware. He settled on land now owned by
William McElroy. He was thrice married; his
last wife was Mrs. Catharine Williamson.
They subsequently removed to Dunkirk, where he died. She
subsequently died in Kenton. A further account of the
family will be found in the history of Blanchard Township in
Adam Orth, a native of Germany,
married Mary Weaver and emigrated to America in
1831 and settled near Pittsburgh; thence he removed to Wayne
County, Ohio, and from there came to Hardin County about 1835,
and settled on land now owned by Jacob and Charles
Stair, where he opened out right in the woods and resided
on that place until about 1860, when he sold his farm and
purchased another about two miles west of his first location,
where he died Dec. 22, 1870, aged seventy-six years. His
first wife died in Pennsylvania soon after their arrival in that
State. Subsequently he married Mary E. Troutman,
also a native of Germany; she
Page 691 -
died Mar. 31, 1878. Mr. Orth by his first
wife had the following children: Margaret, John
(deceased), George, Leonard, Elizabeth, and
one that died in infancy. By his second wife he had
John G., J. Adam and Frederick (deceased).
While a resident of Wayne County, Mr. Orth peddled
clocks, but after his arrival in this county he gave his
exclusive attention to farming. He cleared 100 acres right
from the woods, had a good orchard and other improvements.
William Wilcox, a native of the
State of New York, married Miss Lurena Hopkins,
and, in 1838, settled in this township on land now owned by
Marion Tarr. Here he resided several years;
thence he returned to his native State, but finally removed to
Wisconsin. He had three sons, David, Jackson,
and one name not known. and two daughters, Mary and
Lurena; the latter, the eldest child, is deceased.
William S. Baird, was a native
of Wayne County, Ohio, and married Rachel Booth,
and came to Hardin County about 1838, and settled on land now
owned by Daniel Berger, where he died Sept. 15,
1854, aged forty-five years. His wife died July 31, 1858,
aged forty-eight years. He was a good farmer, and “the
noblest work of God - an honest man.” Their
children were Mary, Rufus, Eli, William
and Artimas; all survive but the latter.
Robert Summerville, a native
of Lancaster County, Penn., was married in Beaver County, Penn,
to Eleanor Derringer. Thence he removed to
Wayne County, Ohio, and, in 1842, came to this county and
settled on land now owned by Mr. William
Pfeiffer. Subsequently he moved into Hancock County,
where he died Oct. 4, 1862. His wife died while a resident
of this county - Jan. 16, 1849. Their children were
Hannah, John, Daniel James, Catharine, Benjamin and
William, all now deceased but the two last mentioned.
Leonard Morrison, a native of
Butler County, Penn, married Mary Ann Whysong in
Fayette County of the same State. In 1836. he removed to
Hardin County, Ohio, and settled on land now owned by N.
Ahlefeld; subsequently he moved to the farm known as the
Emmett farm, situated in the east part of Washington
Township; thence he moved to the place now owned by Peter
Cerson, where he died May 7, 1867, aged sixty-two years.
His wife still survives and resides with her son John L.
Their children were as follows: Camille, Sarah
Vinah, Angeline and James, all now
deceased, and Savilla Ann, William B.,
Sarah, John L., Robert J. and Winfield S.,
Reuben Zahner, a native of
Pennsylvania, married Sophia Myers, and came to
Hardin County and settled on land near the Sidney
Baird farm in 1848, where he lived till his death.
Their children were William, Michael, Mary
Ann, Caroline, Cordelia, Jesse and
Sophia, all married and settled in this neighborhood
except Cordelia, who is deceased.
Barnhart Wagoner, a native of
Germany, settled in Washington Township on land now owned by
Samuel Taylor in 1833-1, where he resided many years.
He was twice married and was the father of twenty-four children.
He was a remarkably strong, active and muscular man.
Subsequently he and all his family moved to the West. Some
of his children who were well known here were Anthony,
Barnhart, Francis, Lewis, Lena,
Theresa, Sallie, Fanny, Susan and
Jacob Griner, a native of Germany,
settled in.this township near Dunkirk about 1838-39, where he
resided till his death. He was twice married. His
second wife was Margaret Wagoner. He had
three sons - Jacob, Isaac and Daniel.
Page 692 -
William Hartoon settled near
the Cessna Township line in 1836. He died on the place
where he first settled, on the southwest quarter of Section 35.
His children were William, Mollie and Caroline,
who all moved away.
John Kraft, a native of Germany,
settled on the southeast quarter of Section 34, where he died;
his wife still survives, and now resides in Kenton. Most
of their children died young. Two - Charles and
Christopher - still survive.
Ephraim Crawford, from
Columbiana County, settled on the southwest quarter of Section
34 about 1838. He was married in Columbiana County to
Susan Hively and still resides here where they first
settled. Their children were seven, two of whom were
Emery and Stephen.
Samuel Hively also came from
Columbiana County and settled on the east part of Section 33, in
1837, where they still reside. He married in Columbiana
County, and has two sons - George and David - and
Harman Obenour was
born in Washington County, Penn; removed to Stark County, Ohio,
and, in 1836-37, came to this township and settled on the
southwest quarter of Section 33, where he died in 1852. He
was twice married, and was the father of the following children:
By his first wife, John, Henry, Elizabeth,
David, Susan and Frederick; by his second
wife, Harman, Sarah, Josiah, Amos,
and three who died in infancy. Those who survive are
possessed of an excellent moral and Christian character, have
made a success in life and are highly respected citizens of the
John Reifenstein was a
native of Germany. where he married; came to America and settled
on Section 32, where he and his wife died, leaving no issue.
Mr. Reifenstein was an intelligent, educated man,
and a valuable citizen.
Jacob Shroll was a
native of Pennsylvania, but early came to Crawford County, Ohio,
and married a Miss Sheofstall, of Bucyrus, Ohio:
she died in 1879 or ’80. They settled in this township on
the southwest quarter of Section 31 in 1837. Their
children were David, Emanuel, Catharine,
Harman, Lydia and Frederick. Mr.
Shroll still resides upon the place where he first
settled; has accumulated an abundance of this world’s goods, and
more than all, has lived an honest, upright life, and is highly
respected by his numerous friends.
Benjamin Ulin came from
Coshocton County, Ohio, and settled on land now owned by Mr.
Ibling about 1833-34, being one. among the first settlers
in the township. In 1838, he erected a horse-mill for
grinding, which made very good flour. He resided here
several years, thence moved to Iowa. His children were
Eliza, John R., Andrew, Benjamin,
Sarah, Elizabeth, William and Samuel,
all of whom moved West except John P., who now resides in
Harrison P. Darst, a native
of Woodstock, Va., born in 1817. About 1831, he emigrated
to Pickaway County, Ohio, where he married Catharine
Teegarden, born in that county in 1815. In 1839, they
removed to Hardin County and settled in this township, on the
southeast quarter of Section 27, on land which he entered from
the Government, upon which he resided till his death Oct. 31,
1860. Mr. Durst was an active member of the
Christian Church, and a minister in the same about, twenty
years. Their children were as follows: Sarah E., George
W., John S., Rebecca J. and Maria M., now living, and
Susanna, Lucinda and two infants,
John L. Kahler was born in Germany
in 1778 and married Mary A.
Schiber, born Mar. 26, 1785. They emigrated to
America in June, 1834, and, in 1836, entered forty acres of land
in the southwest quarter of Section 34, Washington Township,
where he resided till his death in May, 1841. Mr.
Kahler was a weaver by trade. His children, John
L., Frederick, John G. and Elizabeth,
are all deceased but John G., who married Mary E.
Markley and is still a resident of this township.
Markley, a native of Germany. emigrated to America about
1836, and, in 1838, settled on Section 32, where he still
resides. Children - Mary E., Frederick,
Catharine, Barbara, Mary M., Sarah
Archibald Smith came
here from Franklinton, Ohio, and settled on the south half of
the southwest quarter of Section 26, in 1840 - 41. He
married Elizabeth Williams; she died on the place
where they first settled. He died while on a journey to
his son in Union County. Children—Magdalena,
Mary, William and John.
Conrad Wejount, a native
of Germany, married there and emigrated to America in 1835, and
settled on Section__, where they died. Children -
Susanna (deceased), and Mary, now the wife of
Charles Tierce, of Dunkirk.
John G. Smith, a native of
Germany, married Susannah Wejount and settled on Section
33, where he still resides. His wife died and subsequently
he married Dorothy Baker. Children - John,
Henry, Jacob, Adam, Mary, Susanna,
Margaret, Catharine and Sarah.
George Lynch and
Jacob Crow were early
settlers, locating here about 1834-35; the former has a son now
a resident of Kenton.
North Washington is the only town in the township. It
was platted and laid out into lots, streets and alleys by
Judy Shaw and A. Landis in the summer of 1852.
The first house erected here was a log cabin, built by
Ephraim Harvey, and the second by George
Orth. The first frame house was erected by C. W.
Show, which is now occupied as a drug store and dwelling.
The first store was opened by Show & Darst, in the
above-mentioned frame house. Peter Ash was
the first blacksmith; the first physician, Dr. Rayl;
but the first to remain and become permanently settled was
Dr. E. B. Heistand. The post oflice was established
about 1852 or 1853, and Samuel Andrews was
appointed Postmaster. His successors have been as follows:
Frank Kinnear, Pierce and Lukens,
Albert Behrends and Ezra Maynard, the
The village is now represented by the following
businesses: Two general stores, G. W. Burnworth and
John Reifenstine; one grocery, by Mrs.
Smith; one drug store, by J. J. Orth; two
blacksmiths. Charles Guider and Henry
Mason; one saw mill, with one set of buhrs for grinding,
owned by G. W. Burnworth; one warehouse, owned by
Frank and Levi Pores; and two physicians, Dr. Joseph
Saeger and Dr. W. B. Brayton.
It is believed that the
first school ever taught in this township was by Wilmot
Manson in 1838. In 1841, William Simpson
taught in a cabin on land then owned by Renatus Gum.
Then there was a log schoolhouse built on Andrew
Kridler’s place; this was one of the primitive kind, with
puncheon floor, slab seats and greased paper for window lights.
This house was succeeded by a small frame house built on Mr.
Thorne’s place about 1850; then this was succeeded by the
present frame schoolhouse,
Page 694 -
built in 1874. Other schools were established in the east
and southern parts of the township soon after, and now (1883)
this township is divided into eleven subdistricts, with eleven
good schoolhouses, in which are employed eleven teachers.
The average number of weeks of school session is 29, enrolling
242 boys and 222 girls; total scholarship, 464; total receipts
for school purposes in 1882 were $3,615.80; total expenditures,
$3,448.44, leaving balance on hand, Sept. 1, 1882, $167.42;
total valuation of school property, $5,000.
Church, northwest corner of Section 34. - This society was
organized about 1843, by Rev. Christian Stipp, assisted
by Conrad Show, with the following constituent members,
viz.: Mrs. James Leper, Mary Leper, Catharine Leper, Anna
Leper, Rebecca Leper, Harrison P. Darst, Catharine Darst,
Benjamin Ulin, Elizabeth Ulin, Sarah Ulin, John Ulin, Andrew
Ulin and wife, Richard Hamilton, Elizabeth Hamilton,
Moses Riley and wife, John Riley and wife, Anthony
Wagoner and wife, Thomas Dunlap and wife and two
daughters (Lavinia and Vina), Samuel Axford
and wife, Leonard Packer and wife, and perhaps a few
others. About 1844-45, they erected a log church edifice,
which has served as a place of worship to the present time.
Benjamin Ulin and H. P. Darst were chosen as the
first Deacons, after which the office was filled by Anthony
Wagoner and Andrew Ulin. The ministers who have
served the church as pastors have been Revs. Christian Stipp,
Martz, Harrison P. Darst, Mr. O'Neil, Mr. Thompson, David
Kinnear and Rev. Holverstott. This society was
quite large and prosperous for several years, but subsequently
many died and a large number moved away to the West, until at
the present time there are only about ten members, with
George Orth and Walter McCloud as Deacons.
Rev. Nicholas McCloud is their present pastor. A
Sabbath school has been organized for many years, and is
conducted through the summer seasons with a good attendance.
The United Brethren
in Christ at North Washington was organized into a society
at the schoolhouse in april, 1875, by Elder William H. Ogle,
consisting of the following members: C. A. Guider,
Thomas Waters, B. D. Brayton, Savilla Waters, Samantha Pierce,
Martha Andrews and Eleanor Obenour, with C. A.
Guider as Class Leader. They have no church edifice,
but have held their services in the schoolhouse since their
organization. The following have served as ministers of
the congregation, viz.: Elders William H. Ogle for
two years; Merritt and Miller two years; Mr.
Johnson one year; Mr. Stewart two years; and J. W.
Lower is now serving the society. C. A. Guider
and B. D. Brayton have filled the office of Class Leader.
A Sabbath school has been held every summer, and during last
season had an average attendance of about sixty, with B. D.
Brayton as Superintendent.
Willow Grove Methodist Episcopal Church. - This society
was organized in the Kridler Schoolhouse in 1876 by
Rev. Taylor P. Jagger, with the following members: Daniel
Helm, Elizabeth Helm, Frank Helm, Jacob Clark, Jacob Derringer,
Emma Derringer, Mary Pugh, Charles Yocomb and Elizabeth
Summerville, with Daniel Helm chosen
Class Leader. The society was quite
prosperous for some time, but from various causes it began to
decrease in interest and membership, until finally itceased to
exist as an organization. From the time of its formation
they held services about four years, during which they were
served by the following ministers: Revs. Taylor, P.
Jagger, and Andrw J. Frisbee.
Page 695 -
J. R. TRISSLER
Page 696 - (BLANK PAGE)
Page 697 -
Lutheran Church. - This society was organized in an old log
schoolhouse in District No. 2, in 1853-54 with the following
constituent members: G. Borset, Michael Frank, Tobias Frank,
George Karn, Adam Hensel, George Shultz, F. Speer, M. Casper, A.
Guider and Louisa Kraft. They held services in
the schoolhouse until, in 1873, they erected their present frame
church building, at a cost of about $1,600, and the same was
dedicated to service in October of that year, by Revs.
Heiley and G. F. Roitz. Ministers who have
served this church as pastors have been Revs. Harman,
Mochalds, Doring, Bretsler, Bergley,
George Miller, G. F. Roitz and Rev.
Greicher, who is now administering to the society.
Present membership is about thirty, with Adam Hensel
and George Shultz as Elders; Trustees are M.
Casper, George Wolfert and George
In the first settling of
this township many of the first dead were interred upon the
lands upon which they lived, many of whom have no tombstone or
anything to mark their last resting place. The Kridler
Cemetery, on Section 4, in the north part of the township, was
established as a family burying place at quite an early day, in
which are interred some of the Moses, Baird and
Kridler families, and perhaps a few others. It
is kept well preserved, with a good fence inclosing it.
The principal cemeteries of this township which are under the
protection and care of the township are the Washington and the
one on the township line on the southeast corner of Section 33.
The former is located on the Dunkirk & Washington pike, on the
southeast quarter of Section 14. It contains about one
acre of ground, is well inclosed with a good board fence, and
has been in use for nearly forty years, and contains the dead of
many of the early pioneers. and their families. The
latter contains about the same amount of groundand is well
fenced and cared for. This has also been used for many
years, receiving the dead of many of the early settlers of this
vicinity. Both of these cemeteries are pleasantly situated
and very appropriate places for the purposes for which they have