Page 671 -
In this township we
find no exception to the general rule in the locating of the
first settlers; but observe that along the course of Blanchard
Page 672 -
were found its first pioneers. There is no question but
that James E. Hueston was the first settler in what is
now Jackson Township. In May, 1824, Mr. Hueston,
with his family, came to Hardin County; but as a full sketch of
this worthy pioneer will be found in Chapter IV of the general
history, we refer the reader to that chapter for a further
mention of his life.
Robert S. Wilson
was born in Medina County, Ohio, and in 1833 came to Marion
Township, Hardin County, a poor boy. He succeeded in
obtaining employment in clearing land and assisting the
inexperienced early settlers in erecting their log cabins.
Game of all kinds was very plentiful, and one fall he sold coon
skins enough, at 12˝ cents
each, to purchase a barrel of flour at $6.50, which was quite a
treat in those days. In this manner he worked, and by
strict economy until he had reached manhood, he had saved money
enough to purchase forty acres of land in the dense forests of
Jackson Township. He then married, and commenced to clear
a spot for his cabin, while his young wife sat close by on a log
with her knitting. He says that, while a hired young man,
he cleared more than one hundred acres of land. After
settling upon his own land and getting a good start in life, he
commenced adding to his first piece more land, from time to
time, till his farm contains 160 acres with good improvements.
He is now living in Forest, where he has retired to spend the
balance of his life in the enjoyment of the comforts of a
competence which his own industry and energy has accumulated, an
honored and respected citizen.
Huffine came here from Pickaway County, Ohio, about 1829-30,
and settled on land now owned by Samuel Briggs,
where he resided several ears, but subsequently removed to near
Chillicothe. Peter Johnson, about 1833-35,
came to this county, and settled on the northwest quarter of
Section 26, which was then embraced in Blanchard Township.
He resided here till his death. He served as a Justice of
the Peace several years, a worthy and honored citizen.
came here from Richland County, but was a native of
Pennsylvania. He settled on land where Patterson now is in
1834, remaining there through life an honored and upright
came from Richland County and settled in the northwest ern part
of this township in 1834, where he resided many years, but
subsequently removed to the West; finally returning to Ohio, he
died in the southern part of the State.
Ketch, from Columbiana County, settled on land two miles
west of Forest in 1834. After several years’ residence
here he removed to Hancock County, and thence to Nebraska.
He married Miss Sarah Yerian, who died, and
he subsequently married Rachel Mansfield.
All his children moved to the West but one - Mary Ann,
who married John Nous and resides in this
Pisel came from Richland County about 1834, and settled
where his widow still resides, and here he died Oct. 13, 1859,
aged forty-eight years. Their children were Sarah Jane,
Jeremiah, Reuben, John, Thomas, Elizabeth, Washington and
a native of Virginia, emigrated to Ohio and settled in Logan
County; thence, about 1833-34, removed to this county and
settled on land on the Blanchard, now owned by his son, where he
died Sept. 3, 1838.
Pimperton was born in Lincolnshire. England, in 1791, where
he married Susannah Bassett. In March, 1827,
they emigrated to America, landing at Port Hope, Canada, the
following May. In June, 1835, he came
Page 673 -
to Hardin County, and entered 525 acres of land in Section 6,
Jackson Township; returned to Canada, and, in 1838, brought his
family to his new home. His wife died in 1846 and he in
was born in New Haven County, Conn., May 14, 1799, and when a
lad, his parents, Richard and Polly Warner, removed to
Cortland County, N. Y., but he remained with his grandfather in
Connecticut for some time, after which he went to his parents in
New York. In the fall of 1828, he removed to Seneca
County, Ohio. Before leaving New York, he married
Sophronia Sales. In the fall of 1835, he
removed to this county and settled on land now owned by
Samuel Waltermire, in Section 5, Jackson Township.
Here he opened out right in the woods, and commenced to erect a
cabin. From the few settlers then in the vicinity, he
could get but seven to help him raise his cabin, and as a
substitute for men he used oxen to roll up the logs to their
proper places. He has now been a resident in the county
nearly half a century; has witnessed the wonderful
transformation of these mighty forests to fine, cultivated farms
and beautiful homes. He was present at the organization of
the township, and cast his vote at the first election, and was
elected one of the first Trustees. He is now eighty-four
years of age, and almost totally blind, having lost his sight
about thirteen years ago. He is the father of nine
children - Mary Othelia, Edward C., Bellva, Maria, Adeline,
Lemira, Artemissa, Calvin E., Joseph V. and Sophronia C.,
all of whom, who now survive, have moved away.
believed to have been a native of Pennsylvania, settled
on the northwest quarter of Section 17 in 1835, where he resided
years; thence removed to Iowa. He was twice married, and raised
family of children, who all moved away.
was a native of Pennsylvania, where he married Mary
A. Trissler. In 1835, with his wife and four children, he came
and settled on Section 2, this township; where he entered forty
also forty acres in Section 11. He came through from his native
State in a
wagon, which he sold to raise money to enter his land. He died
in his eighty-fourth year. His wife still survives.
was a native of New York, where, in Dutchess County, he was
married, Feb. 1, 1817. In 1829, they removed to Ohio,
settled in Richland County. In 1836, they removed to this county
bought eighty acres in Section 12, where he followed his trade,
that of a
blacksmith. It is believed he was the first of that trade in
Township. He died Sept. 5, 1865, aged seventy-three years. His wife
was Ann Tibbs, a native of New York, and still survives at the
age of eighty-three years.
was born in Lincolnshire, England, where he married Mary
Pickett, with whom he lived but a short time when, about
about one year after their arrival in this country and locating
County, Ohio - she died, she, however, having borne him five
In 1836, he removed to this county and purchased eighty acres of
Section 2, in Jackson Township. He married, for his second wife,
Aldrich. She died, having borne him four children.
died Feb. 17, 1879, aged eighty years. He was a man of great
giving of his means freely for all educational and religious
the general public good. Henry Zimmerman was a native of
County, Ohio, and married Elizabeth Bilger, of Columbiana
County, and in
the fall of 1836 removed to this county and settled south of
Forest, on land
Page 674 -
now owned by Aaron Chance, in Section 18, where he remained till
death. He died Nov. 22, 1870, aged sixty-five years. His
children were John, George W., Rebecca A.,
Mary, Elizabeth, Franklin, Isabell,
Samuel and Sarah (twins), Stanley and Jennie.
also a native of Mahoning County, settled in this
township about 1837, where he soon after died from that terrible
so troublesome among the early settlers, milk sickness.
McVitty was born in Franklin County, Penn., Apr. 25, 1808,
Scotch-Irish descent. He settled here in 1837, entering a
of land in Section 14. He taught, it is believed, the first
school in the
township, which was on the farm of Thomas Hueston.
He died Dec.
11, 1881. He was the father of twelve children, of whom five now
survive. Mr. McVitty was one among the best of farmers, and an honorable
Zimmerman, native of Mahoning County, married Sarah
and settled here in 1837-38, locating one mile east of Henry
Zimmerman, where he died Apr. 8, 1846, aged thirty-seven years. His
children were Peter, Uriah, Theodore, Susanna,
Solomon and Sarah - all now
deceased but Uriah, who now resides in Colorado.
Warner, a brother of the above-mentioned Edward Warner, was
born in Connecticut Feb. 2, 1802, and came to New York State
his father’s family, where he married Almira Robbins, a native
State. In 1837, he emigrated to Ohio, and entered eighty acres
of land in
Jackson Township, and here he spent his entire life since - a
nearly half a century. But of the particulars of the life of
pioneer, we would refer the reader to the biographical
department of this
work, where his active, earnest and valuable labors of a long
life are briefly, yet faithfully, portrayed.
William C. Dewitt
was born in Ulster County, N. Y., Apr. 11, 1807.
His father was a native of Holland, but emigrated to this
country in an
early day, and had one brother who served in the war of the
1818, they came to Ohio and settled in Richland County, but the
died in Delaware County. William C. grew to manhood in Richland
County; thence, in 1828, he went to Seneca County, where he
married Maria Norton, who was born in Tompkins
County, N. Y., Jan.
and a daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth Norton.
Mr. Dewitt was
married, Jan. 31, 1835, and, in 1837, they settled in this county,
where he entered
forty acres in Section 1, Jackson Township, and has since
remained a resident of this township. He has borne his full share of pioneer
is now quite aged and feeble. Their children have been as
M. (deceased), Charles F., who married Parmelia
Johnson, by whom
had one child, Maggie M. (deceased); his wife died and he
married Angeline Harris, by whom he had six children
- Anna C., Guernsey B.,
H., Sarah Bell, John D. and Calvin Edson; William H.
J. Petty; he died in the late war; Clavin C. married
Harman, and had three children - Gussie E., George I. and
(deceased); Libbie E. married Joseph Zimmerman, has had three children
Fannie Bell (deceased) and Franklin R.; David A.
George, have three children - Orrie M., William C.
Emily A. married David S. Gano, have one child -
Amy Iona; Robert S.
Maggie J. Dewitt; Josephine M. married Hiram T. Pingree, had one
child, Elbert Earl (deceased).
Hamlin came here from Hancock County about 1838-39, and
Page 675 -
JOHN R. GUNN
Page 676 - (BLANK PAGE)
Page 677 -
settled about one mile west of Forest, on the northwest quarter
of Section 7, but, remaining a short time only, he removed into
Bibbler, settled north of Forest, on land now owned by
John Lafferty. William Copeland, who
died in 1868, was an honored, early settler here. Many
other early settlers, but who came some time later than the
above-mentioned, who have been honored. useful and influential
citizens of Jackson Township, will, we trust, be well
represented in the biographical department of this work;
therefore, we will not increase the list further here, but
proceed to speak of other matters pertaining to the growth and
progress of this township as it emerged from its primitive
condition of a dense forest and a total wilderness.
ROADS AND PUBLIC HIGHWAYS.
Page 678 -
TOWNS AND VILLAGES.
Page 679 -
Page 680 -
Forest. - It would
appear, from the records at Kenton, that some difficulty arose
or some peculiar condition of things existed at the time of the
survey and laying-out of Forest, as we find recorded that
John A. Gormley was appointed a Commissioner by the Court of
Common Pleas of Hardin County, at their June term in 1854, to
act in the premises under especial authority, and that the
survey was made and the town laid 06' in lots, streets and
alleys by J. Harvey Davis, and the same platted and
recorded, being duly acknowledged by said John A. Gormley
March 13, 1855. The town was incorporated, on petition of
fifty-six resident voters, by the Commissioners, Sept. 6, 1865,
since which there have been the following additions, viz.:
Addition by John A. Gormley, Sept. 6, 1866.
Addition by Josiah Smith, Sept. 10, 1867.
Addition by Josiah Smith, Jan. 4, 1868.
Addition by John Campbell (outlots), Mar. 26,
Addition by John Campbell (outlots), May 31,
Addition by J. F. Lillibridge, Aug. 25, 1869.
Addition by Hiram Wise, Nov. 8, 1869.
Addition by John Campbell (outlots), Nov. 30,
Addition by S. F. Moore, Dec. 16, 1869.
Addition by Pearce & Hueston (outlots), Sept.
Increase of corporation limits by extension, Sept. 7,
Addition by Isaac Garrett, Oct. 27, 1871.
Addition by Kellogg & Bohannon, Dec. 2, 1871.
Addition by W. M. Pickett, Dec. 2, 1871.
Addition by H. P. Gage, Jan. 25, 1872.
Addition by John Campbell, Apr. 3, 1873.
Addition by H. O. Hotchkiss, Dec. 14, 1881.
Addition by Henry M. Miller,
Jan. 7, 1882.
Addition by Gormley Brothers, Apr. 27, 1882.
The first store in Forest was opened and kept by Mr.
P. Carson, on the site of the present Forest City House.
John Mansfield was the first blacksmith. Dr. J.
A. Stansill, the first physician. The Mad River & Lake
Erie Railroad was built and the first train ran through here to
Kenton July 4, 1846. The Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne & Chicago
Railway was built in 1853-54, and in the latter year, the first
train ran through Forest. The crossing of these two
railroads here was the cause of the laying out of the town.
But the town never grew or enjoyed any great prosperity till
about 1870, at which time it seemed to receive a new impetus,
and during the last six years has made a rapid growth in
population and in business. It now has a population of
about 1,200, embracing the following businesses: Three dry goods
stores, A. D. Pifer, West & Shott and the
New York Store, by M. Berkiwitz; three hardware stores,
T. S. Williams, R. C. Wiley & Co., and Beanman
& Co.; one general store, by E. Horton; seven groceries;
two drug stores; several saloons; one boot and shoe store; two
stove and tin stores, one of which - L. Struble - makes a
specialty of iron roofing and does an extensive business in that
line, be having letters patent for the article of which he is
the patentee; one furniture store and undertaker; one furniture
manufacturer; two harness and saddler shops; two millinery
stores; two livery stables; one grist mill, erected about 1879
by Owens Bros., now owned by Henry
Merchantell; one saw and planing mill, erected by Young,
Page 681 -
Almy & Co., in 1881, who are still the proprietors and are doing
a large business; one warehouse and grain dealer and shipper;
two tile manufacturers, Lambright & Fogelsong and
Frederick Berlin; four physicians, J. A.
Stansill, W. T. Gemmill, W. A. Swimley and
Dr. Perce; two attorneys, R. Rice and B. W.
Waltermire; there are two hotels - Scott House and
Forest City House; three churches - Methodist Episcopal,
Presbyterian and Methodist Protestant, and one fine, brick union
school building, erected in 1872 at a cost of about $7,000.
There is one weekly newspaper called the News. It
was established in August, 1875, by J. J. Wilkins, and
was conducted by him until Sept. 17, 1877, when it was purchased
by Harvey S.. Horn, the present publisher and proprietor.
In August, 1873, the name of the paper was changed to the
Review. It now has a circulation of 850, and under the
management of its present enterprising and gentlemanly editor,
we feel assured that the community will be furnished with an
excellent local paper, and that its circulation will increase.
Senate Lodge of F. & A. M., No. 378, Forest, Ohio, was
Forest Lodge, I.
O. O. F., No. 394, was instituted
No. 160, Forest, Ohio, was
Knights of Honor, No. 1955, was instituted, Dec. 31, 1879,
by J. B. King, Deputy, of Westerville, Ohio, with the
following charter members: C. A. Stockton, W. T.
Gemmill, W. A. Van Horn, H.
S. Horn, T. J. Cellar, E. H. Cook, E. A. Cook, J. A.
Pittsford; Jonathan Bowser, J. J. Myer, B. W. Waltermire and
D. T. Robey. Ofiicers: B. W. Waltermire, D.; D. T. Robey,
V. D.; H. S. Horn, R.; E. H. Cook, F. H., and C. A.
Stockton, Treas. They meet in Odd Fellows Hall the
first and third Monday evenings of each month. The present
membership is twenty two. Officers: F. B. Reese, D.;
McD. Harmas, V. D.; H. S. Horn, R.; C. C. Harman, F. R., and
D. W. Taft, Treasurer.
Harmony Presbyterian Church, it is
Presbyterian Church was organized May 28, 1857, by Rev.
R. H. Holliday - just
Page 683 -
Protestant Church, it is believed, was organized in the fall
of 1869, by Rev. Mr. Evans. The organization took
place in the Methodist Episcopal Church, and consisted of
the following members:
Saint Peter's German Reformed Church was organized Aug. 16,
1868, at Forest, by Rev. Charles Shoaf, with
fifteen members; but it continued for only a brief period, when
the organization ceased and has never been re-organized.
Forest.* - About
*By A. S. Siebenfoercher.
Page 684 -
Episcopal Church. - We have
Methodist Episcopal Church. - The early history of this
church is nearly gone to oblilvion, like that of the Patterson
Church. It was,
however, probably organized a few years later than that at
Some of the first members are believed to have been as follows:
Bainbridge, Henry Bainbridgo, Andrew
Bainbridge, Mr. Blue and Conrad
Zimmerman. Their church building was the first
erected in Forest, and
has gradually increased in membership until now (1883) the
church has a
membership of 120, with Rev. J. H. Cater as its pastor,
and J. S. Hale,
Samuel Briggs and E. H. Van Buren, Stewards. Class
Leaders are E. D.
Cole, W. K. Evans and J. H. Forney.
The first established burial-place in this township is on the
Hueston land, on the bank of the Blanchard, in the southwest
corner of Section 1, and was dedicated to the reception of the
dead by James E. Hueston, on the death of his wife,
Mrs. Margaret Hueston, who died Aug. 18, 1831,
and whose body is deposited here, and from that time to the
present has received many of the dead of the early settlers of
this neighborhood. The old Patterson Cemetery, situated
half a mile northwest of Patterson, on the north line of Section
18, was generously donated for burial purposes by Josiah
Price about 1849-50. A few years since, it was
deeded to the Trustees, and is now kept fenced and put in order
by them. Here rest the remains of many of the early and
prominent men of Patterson and vicinity, such as A. W. Worley,
Dr. A. F. Stanley, John McVitty, Henry
Zimmerman and many others. Patterson Cemetery,
situated just a few rods further, and on the opposite side of
the road from the old cemetery, was
685 - (BLANK PAGE)
Page 686 -
Page 687 -
purchased by the Trustees for burial purposes, and it is
believed received the body of the child of Capt. P. C. Boslow
for the first burial in these grounds, since which there have
been deposited here the remains of William Pisel, Josiah
Price, Stephen Purdy, William Copeland and others.