Page 662 -
a native of Canada, settled on lands in the forks of the two
roads, near Huntersville, in 1833. He married. and had a
family of several children. He resided here several years,
but subsequently moved away with all his family.
Isaac McElhaney, a native of
Ireland, emigrated to America and first settled in Pennsylvania,
but soon removed to Licking County, Ohio, where he married
Miss Margaret Kirkland, and in the fall of 1834 removed to
Hardin County and settled on the east half of the northwest
quarter of Section 10, in Marion Township, where he resided till
his death. He died Apr. 2, 1871, aged seventy-two years.
He was thrice married, and was the father of the following
children: Margaret, John, Mary Ellen,
James, Martha J., Catharine and Nancy.
John McClure, a native of Ireland,
married Mary Kirkland, in Licking County, Ohio,
and in the fall of 1834 came to this township and settled on the
west half of the northwest quarter of Section 10, where he still
lives and has resided a period of forty-nine years. His
wife died Feb. 4, 1866. Subsequently, he married Mrs.
Eliza Ann Cory. Mr. McClure has sustained the
reputation of an honest, upright man and a worthy citizen.
Sampson Shadley was a native of
Virginia, and early removed to Licking County, Ohio; thence, in
the fall of 1834, came to this county and settled on the north
side of the marsh, south of Huntersville. He was twice
married; by his first wife, Catharine Trump, he
had the following children: Jacob, Christena,
Ann, Hiram, Sampson, Lydia, Polly
and Docia. His second wife, Mrs. Lyon,
from Columbiana County, bore him five children, viz., Henry.
Asa, Maria A., Sarah E. and William W. Mr.
Shadley remained a resident of the place where he first
settled till his death, and was interred upon his own farm. He
was an honorable and a just man, and in his later years a
devoted member of the Methodist Church.
John F. Sudor, a native of Harrison
County, Va., born in 1812, married Nancy Brown, of
Lewis County, of that State, and emigrated to Logan County,
Ohio, in the fall of 1834; in 1839, came here with his family
and settled on Section 32, where he resided till quite aged,
when he removed to Ada, where he died Nov. 11, 1879. His
wife still survives, and resides upon the old home place with
one of her daughters. Mr. Sudor purchased
eighty acres when he first settled here, for which he paid $2.50
per acre, and commenced right in the woods, poor and penniloss,
and by industry and economy became the owner of 400 acres of
excellent land. He sustained an untarnished integrity, and
was respected by a large circle of friends. Their children
were Minerva J., Margaret Ann, Permelia E., Mary D. and
Sarah C. - all living.
James McAdams, a native of
Tennessee, came to Fayette County, Ohio, in the summer of 1833,
where he married Sarah Haines, and in the month of
November, 1834, removed to this county and settled on Section 3,
where he entered his land and began right in the woods; and here
he resided till his death, Nov. 21, 1856. His father,
James McAdams, who also settled with him, died here.
Mr. McAdams’ children were Mary C., Hannall.
Alfred O., Melvina, Samuel H., Charles G., Rachel J., James E.
and five who died in infancy.
James Thompson, a native of
Maryland, married Michey Kelly and removed to
Harrison County, Ohio; thence, in 1835, settled in Marion
Township, on the northwest quarter of Section 8, where he
remained a resident till his death. Their children were
Henry, Elizabeth, Thomas, Edwin, Charity and James.
Page 663 -
Samuel Kirkland was a native of
Virginia, but of Irish descent. He came here and settled
near Huntersville in the spring of 1835. He was elected
the first Justice of the Peace of this township, and served many
years by re-election. He was a man of more than ordinary
intellectual ability, and was a highly esteemed citizen.
Subsequently, he removed to Iowa, where he died. His first
wife was Elizabeth Emmerson, by whom he had three
children - Rebecca, James and Mary.
His wife died of cancer. His second wife, Nancy
McBride, bore him three children - Keziah,
Margaret and John. His third wife, Love
McBride, moved West with him, where she died - after
which he was twice married.
Isaac McCoy was a native of
Virginia; settled about two miles west of Huntersville, about
1835. He married Miss Christopher, a
daughter of Leven Christopher. Subsequently, he
sold his farm and removed to the place where he now lives, on
the northwest quarter of Section 30.
Thomas Irwin, a native of Ireland,
came to America while young, and, in the fall of 1835, settled
in this township, near Huntersville. He married Esther
Kirkland. About 1857-58, they bought property in
Ada, to which they moved, and have since remained residents of
David Kirkpatrick came from
Guernsey County, Ohio, and settled on the northwest quarter of
Section 31, about 1835, where he resided about twenty years, and
removed to Iowa, where he died. He was a man of
considerable wealth, and when he settled here he entered nearly
a whole section of land.
Thomas Monitt settled northwest
of Huntersville. on Section 1, where he entered over one and a
half sections of land, but resided there only a few years and
Jesse Garwood, a native of
Pennsylvania, where he married Cidney Gregg. came to this
county and settled on the northeast quarter of Section 3, in the
spring of 1835-36. Here his wife died, and about eight
years after, he married Mrs. Rachel Swain.
He subsequently removed to Allen County; thence went to Iowa;
but again returned to Allen County, after which he removed to
Fulton County, Ohio, where he died. He served as a soldier
in the war of 1812. By his first wife he had the following
children: Bani, Isaac, Fenton,
Senith, Hannah, Joseph, Lydia,
Catharine and Cynthia A.; by his second wife,
Jesse, Melissa and one name not obtained.
Patrick Conner settled in the
southwest quarter of Section 4, in 1838. He was thrice
married. His second wife was Mrs. Margaret
Smith. By his first wife his children were Sarah,
Charles, Elijah, Abraham, John,
Lizzie, Ann, Lydia and William; by his
second wife, Jacob, Samuel, Lydia,
Daniel and Mary.
Alexander Lantz was born in
Guernsey County, Ohio, in 1812, where he married Julia
Ann Wolverton. In 1833, removed to Logan
County, and, in the spring of 1836, to Hardin County and entered
eighty acres of land on Section 31, where he has since resided.
The great characteristic of Mr. Lantz’s life has
been his unflinching devotion to the business of buying and
selling stock. For forty years he has made this his leading
business. He has traveled almost every road and by-way in
North west Ohio. He has, probably, bought, shipped and
sold more stock than any other man in this part of the State.
In an early day, he was a great hunter, and says that from the
date of his killing his first deer to the time when he shot his
last it was just forty years, and that, the last hunting he did,
his last four shots killed five deer. He is the father of
the following children: Sarah Ann, George,
Elizabeth, Newton, Tamar, William,
Page 664 -
Emily, Lot, Alexander, Julia Ann, James, and one who died
in infancy. All are living but two - Julia Ann and
William; the latter died in the war of the rebellion.
Samuel Patterson was born in
Ireland in 1807, emigrated to America with his parents in 1812,
and settled in Harrison County, Ohio, and there married Jane
Davis. In the fall of 1836, they removed to Hardin
County and settled on Section 19, Marion Township. Here he
entered 240 acres and began right in the woods - not a stick
amiss; and here he made a beautiful farm, with fine buildings
and improvements. Subsequently, he purchased more land,
until he owned 440 acres. He was a man of great industry
and financial ability, and won the esteem and respect of his
many acquaintances. He was an active Christian worker,
first in the Methodist Church and later in the United Brethren
Church. He was a local and itinerant preacher for about
forty years. He died Mar. 12, 1874. His children
were William D., Catharine, Sarah Jane, Margaret, Samuel,
Elizabeth, Rebecca, Mary, Esther, Jemima, Joseph, Nancy, Ella
and Susanna; all now living except Joseph,
Rebecca and Esther. Henry Stull came
here from Guernsey County, Ohio, in 1836, and entered, there,
quarter sections of land; resided here a few years, sold out,
and moved to Illinois with all his family.
Meshack Ryan came from Fayette
County, Ohio, and settled near Huntersville in 1836, resided
here many years, but subsequently removed to Indiana, where he
died. He married Elizabeth Garner, by whom
he had the following children: Henry, James,
Mary, Elizabeth, Matilda, Enoch, Job
Joshua Ford, a native of Maryland,
came to Harrison County, Ohio, in 1827; in 1836, removed to this
township and settled on the southwest quarter of Section 5.
In 1838-39, he erected a horse mill for grinding - one of the
first mills in this section of the county. He remained a
resident here till his death. He married Sarah
Kelly and had the following children: Ruth, Thomas,
John, Joshua, Amos, Henry, James,
Michey E. and Loyd.
Asaph Shadley, a native of
Virginia, and a brother of the above Sampson Shadley,
settled here, just west of said brother, in the fall of 1837.
He married Margaret Wolverton in Virginia.
He remained a resident here through life, but died suddenly in
Michigan, while there on business; his remains were brought back
and interred up )1]. his own farm. His children were
John S., Nathan, Ann, Susan Jane, William A., Daniel V., David
William Harriott, a native of
Virginia, became an early settler of Adams County, Ohio; thence,
in the spring of 1837, removed to this township and entered 160
acres in Section 31, where he resided till his death. He
married Julia Ann Hoover, of Allen County, by whom he had
the following children: Ephraim and Caroline,
deceased - the former served in the war of the rebellion, was
taken prisoner and confined in the Andersonville prison and was
finally exchanged, but not until so far exhausted by starvation,
that, upon obtaining food, he over ate, and died in a few days.
Hamilton Scott came here from
Carroll County, Ohio, in 1837-33, and settled on Section 22, and
remained a resident of the township until his death. He
had a family of fourteen children, all deceased but two -
Jane, now the wife of William Scott and
resides in Ada, and Martha, who resides in
came here from Fayette County, Ohio, and settled near the Scioto
Marsh in 1838. He married Priscilla Bales and died
Page 665 - (BLANK PAGE)
Page 666 -
J. C. RAINSBURG
Page 667 -
place where he first settled. His wife still survives, and
resides in Illinois. Their children were as follows:
Priscilla, Thomas, William, James, John, Lucinda, Hinkle and
one or two that died quite young.
James M. Nelson was born in
Washington County, Penn, Feb. 25, 1805; in 1815, came to Ashland
County, Ohio, with his parents; in 1833, he married Susanna
D. Mathews, of Crawford County, a daughter of Isaac and
Nancy Mathews. In February, 1838, they removed to
Hardin County, and settled on land now owned by S. W.
Phillips, in Section 12, Marion Township, which he had
previously entered in 1834. Here he resided through life.
He died Feb. 3, 1864. His wife died just thirteen days
later, Feb. 16, 1864, aged forty-nine years, both being taken
that fatal disease, spotted fever. Mr. Nelson
was an exceptional man in integrity of character and
exemplariness of Christian life; ever ready, with his means and
influence, to aid all matters for the general public good of his
community, both in its secular and religious interests. He
was identified with the Presbyterian Church from its first
organization. becoming one of its constituent members at its
organization in 1841, and was appointed its first Elder.
He was the father of ten children, of whom seven now survive -
Rachel J., Nancy M., John W., Emma K., Alvin S., Milton H.
and Wilbur M. Those deceased were Willis C.,
died in 1855; Sarah M., died in 1870, and Mary E.,
who married William Cooney, and died in the fall
James Miller was born in Center
County, Penn, in 1808, and settled in Marion Township in 1839.
Marshall Carman, a native of
Maryland, settled on northwest quarter Section 6 in 1842.
John A. Dunlap settled on Section 33 in 1845.
Joseph and James Powell, Robert Preston, Asa Cooney,
Samuel Hagerman and the Dempsters were also
SOIL, CLIMATE, PRODUCTS.
Page 668 -
The first election held
in Marion Township was in the spring of 1836, when there were
only about a dozen voters. The records of the township
Page 669 -
VILLAGES, ROADS AND RAILROADS.
Previous to about 1850, preaching was held at the cabins of
the pioneers. As early as 1840, a class of the Methodist
Episcopal Church was formed as
There is but one
cemetery in the township, on the northeast corner of southeast
quarter of Section 9, and northwest corner of southwest quarter
Section 10, each a quarter acre, making half an acre.
There are a few scattered graves. Some of the Shadleys
are buried on Section 11, but most of the dead are interred
outside the township.
In closing this sketch, we would say that this township
has within her borders elements of wealth second to no township
in the county, and only needs the thorough draining of the great
marsh to develop them.