It appears that most of the townships of Hardin County were
organized from 1833 to 1836, and from the burning of the court
house in 1853, by which all the Commissioners’ records were
destroyed, it makes it quite difficult, and in most instances
impossible, to give the exact day or month on which the official
act was performed constituting the townships respectively, but
from the election records of the townships and from the
recollections of the oldest citizens, we are able to designate
the year with a good degree of precision. It appears
evident that Hale Township was erected at the
Page 643 -
SURFACE STREAMS, SOIL,
TIMBER, ROADS, ETC.
Page 644 -
The first settlers of
this township, as well as in many other localities of the
surrounding country, were terribly afflicted with milk sickness
and malarial diseases; sometimes in the space of a few months
whole families were stricken down with this fell destroyer, and
death, which soon followed in many instances, was their greatest
alleviation and blessing. These afflictions, in
conjunction with the deprivations and hardships necessarily
devolving upon them in the mighty forests of this wilderness,
tried to the utmost the courage and fortitude of these brave
pioneers, and the soul that is so dead to sympathy and reverence
as not to cherish in fond remembrance these worthy sires, the
benefits of whose labors and sufferings the rising genera-
Page 645 - (BLANK PAGE)
Page 646 -
Page 647 -
tions are now enjoying, is unworthy to be called one of their
descendants or to inherit the least of these blessings.
The first settled portion of this township was its
western part, near Grassy Point. This is probably to be
accounted for, in part at least, from the fact that through this
portion passed the old Indian trail, and along its course was
cutout the first road through these unbroken forests by the
soldiers in the war of 1812.
The first white man to locate here was Levi D. Tharp,
who lived in a cabin in the west part of Hale Township, near
Grassy Point, and although he owned no property, yet he resided
here several years and then moved away. It is believed he
settled here in 1828, and, in the spring of 1833, the first
election in Taylor Creek Township was held at his cabin.
James Andrews was the
first permanent settler who purchased land and located to stay,
in October, 1820. He was born in Washington County, Penn.
Aug. 8, 1805. His parents were James and
Anna Andrews, natives of New Jersey, of German
descent. The grandfather, Robert Andrews,
emigrated to America in an early day, while a young single man.
He first stopped on Long Island, thence removed to New Jersey,
where he married Heziah Blackford, an English
lady. In 1794, he removed to Washington County, Penn,
where he was one of the earliest settlers and where he died in
1811. He had four sons - James, Samuel,
Lemuel and Robert - and two daughters - Nancy
and Temperance. James, the eldest, was born
June 12, 1769; he married in New Jersey and removed to
Washington County with his father, where he resided till his
death in June, 1820. His wife died Dec. 23, 1843.
Their children were John, born in 1796; Ruth and
Deborah (twins), born in 1797, the latter died in
infancy; Peter, born in 1799; William B., born in
1801; James, in 1805; Anna, in 1807: Robert,
in 1812, and Peggy, in 1813. Of these, William
died in 1850; John died in 1830 (in Hale Township), and
Anna is also deceased. On May 21, 1881, the balance
of the children all met in a family reunion at the old homestead
in Pennsylvania, their ages ranging from sixty-five to
eighty-four years, a rare circumstance. The old homestead
place is still the residence of the youngest son, while the
balance are all settled in the West. James, the
pioneer of Hale Township, married Polly Hathaway,
in his native county, Oct. 25,1827. Mr. Andrews
opened out right in the woods and experienced the full force of
pioneer life. In the organization of the civil and
religious ministrations of this township, he has been a leading,
active spirit. In the spring of 1831. at a log-rolling for
Cyrus Dille, among those present being James and Lewis
Andrews and Samuel Dille, at the conclusion, as they
were all seated on a log, Cyrus Dille suddenly
arose and proposed that as they had all witnessed the evil
effects of intemperance, it those present would pledge
themselves not to. attend any more log-rollings or raisings
where whisky was used, he would be one of them. They all
sprang to their feet in approval, and it is said all the parties
have sacredly kept their pledge. This was the first
temperance society formed in Hale Township, and probably in
Hardin County. Mr. Andrews is now the only
surviving one of that society. In February, 1832, he, with
three others, constituted the first religious organization in
Hale Township, and has been a devoted member ever since -
a period of over half a century. In 1814, Mr.
Andrews, with Cyrus Dille, Culbertson,
Elder and William Paxton, withdrew
politically from the Whig party and established themselves
firmly on abolition principles, believing and declaring slavery
an evil and a curse to a free and Republican government and they
Page 648 -
strictly to these principles ever afterward, and although all
have passed away from the stage of action, except Mr.
Andrews, yet he has lived to see those principles triumph,
and the terrible scourge of slavery swept from the face of our
noble country. Mr. Andrews is the father of
the following children - Milton, George, Henry,
Anna, Mary Jane, and two who died in
infancy; all are deceased except the two daughters. Mr.
Andrews has lived a long life, devoted to the good of his
country and the church, and the general character of the
community, in which he lives, has, to a great degree, been
molded and made what it is by his firm principles and those of
his worthy cotemporaries.
John Andrews, brother of
the above James Andrews, settled here about the
same time or in the following winter. He married Miss
Rhoda Jennings, but his life was short; he died in
Lewis Andrews, a cousin to
the above, settled here on land now owned by William
Rule, in 1830. He was married in Pennsylvania to
Polly Concklin; she died, and he subsequently married Mrs.
Margaret Osborn. He resided where he first
settled a short time, and moved further down the creek, where he
died. His children were Betsey, Isaac,
Phebe, Samuel, Lavinia, Sarah Jane,
Mary, Ann and Lewis.
Isaac Jennings and his
son Cornelius, with their families, came here from
Pennsylvania in the fall of 1829 and settled in the west part of
Hale Township. But disease and sickness soon visited their
families, several being taken away by death, and soon after the
surviving ones moved away.
settled here a little later on land now owned by Mr.
Butler. He came here from Logan County, but it is
believed he never owned any land.
Four brothers—Amos, Cyrus,
Abraham and Samuel Dille - sons of Isaac and Sarah
Dille, of Washington County, Penn, who had a family of
fourteen children, and became residents of Richland County,
Ohio, where the parents died, settled in Hale Township as
follows: Cyrus came here in November, 1830, and located
on and purchased the land upon which the village of Mount
Victory is now built. He married Susan Blair,
a native of Greene County, Penn, by whom he had the following
children: Ezra, Blair, Deborah, David,
William, Cyrus, John, Isaac,
Margaret J., Nolan P. and Susannah.
Mr. Dille was one of the leading active men of that
day, and in the civil affairs of the county and township filled
many important offices, and was one of the first Commissioners
of the county, and in September, 1833, was one of the grand
jurors and foreman of the jury. Their session was held
under some trees on the bank of the Scioto River, at which they
returned seven indictments for selling liquor and were
discharged. Mr. Dille was a man of more than
ordinary ability, quick of thought and ready in action, kind and
congenial as a neighbor and a most valued citizen. He died
Apr. 21, 1849, aged fifty-three years. His widow still
survives and resides upon the old homestead at Mount Victory.
Samuel, the youngest brother, came here a single man at
the same time as Cyrus, and subsequently returned to
Richland County and married Rachel Hall, and then settled
on the place where Thomas McCall now lives; but
resided here only a short time and removed to Iowa, where he
died in 1881. They had but one child, a daughter - Mary,
Abraham was the next of these brothers to settle in this
township. He settled on the land now owned by Mr. A.
Beard in 1834. He was married in Pennsylvania to
Deborah Post. He remained a resident of this
community through life, and died at his residence in Mount
Victory, Mar. 31, 1883, aged eighty-three
Page 649 -
years. He was the father of the following children:
Cyrus J., Munson, Asher, Wade, Emily,
Isaac, Marion, Phebe, Jane and
Stephen. Amos was the last of the four brothers
to settle here. Soon after his brother Abram came
here, he influenced Amos to come, and in 1834-35, he
settled here on the Thomas McCall place, but remained
only a few years and moved away, and died in Logan County Aug.
3, 1845. His children were Martha Newton,
Cephas, Sarah, Hannah, Amy Jane
Samuel Leonard settled
here on land now owned by John Wagner, about 1834
or 1835, but resided here only a short time and moved away.
Thomas Dunson, a native of
Logan County, Ohio, settled on the place where he still resides,
in 1835. Here he opened out right in the woods, and has
now a fine cultivated farm, with good buildings and
improvements. Mr. Dunson is a quiet,
unassuming man, a good neighbor and a worthy citizen. He
was been twice married; first to Miss Beulah
Tharp, of Logan County; she died Apr. 19, 1856, aged
fifty-four years. By her he had nine children - Lewis,
Eliza, Nancy, Anna, Lenora,
Joseph, Emanuel, Mary and Temperance.
He married, for his second wife, Mary Haney, by whom he
has two children - William and Jonathan.
Abner Snoddy, a native of
Kentucky, became an early settler of Logan County, Ohio, where
he married Hannah King. He served in that
county as an Associate Judge for several years. About
1840, he became a resident of Hale Township. settling in the
southwest part on land now owned by E. S. Butler, where
he resided till his death, which occurred Oct. 9, 1865, aged
eighty-two years. His wife died Oct. 21, 1860, aged
sixty-five years. Mr. Snoddy was a prominent
and useful citizen. He served as Treasurer for many years,
and as Trustee and in other offices of trust and usefulness.
His children were Jacob, John, William,
Abner, David, George, James, Joseph,
Hannah and Priscilla.
Harvey Buckmister was born in
Stratford County, Vt., Nov. 13, 1800. He emigrated to
Tioga County, Penn, where he married. and, in February, 1828,
came to Hardin County and located in a cabin south of Judge
P. Wheeler’s farm, near the Scioto River, in Dudley
Township. He drove stage five years over the old Sandusky
road, which was then the chief route of travel from Cincinnati
to Sandusky City. There were then but three cabins between
Judge Wheeler’s farm and Bellefontaine, the whole route
being through a dense forest. In 1838, he removed to Hale
Township and opened a hotel at Grassy Point, where he continued
for three years; then he purchased a farm in Buck Township,
where he carried on the hotel business for thirteen years.
After some years' residence here, he sold his farm and removed
to Kenton, where he now resides. On July 7, 1868, his wife
was taken sick, and on July 14, just seven days after, she died,
having been a faithful and devoted wife through forty years of
married life, the greater portion of that time being spent in
the wilds of this new country, sharing with her husband all the
hardships and privations of pioneer life. She bore him
three children. Mr. Buckmister is now eighty
three years of age, and still quite sprightly and robust, and
seems to enjoy life well.
Daniel Baldwin, a native
of Tennessee, emigrated to Champaign County, Ohio, while a young
single man, and there married Hannah Williams.
Subsequently he removed to Logan County, and in April, 1835,
came to this township and settled on land now owned by
Charles Allen, where he resided thirty-six years,
when he sold out and removed back to Logan County, where he
died. He served as Associate Judge several years, and
Page 650 -
filled most of the offices of his township. He was a
Justice of the Peace for many years.
Jonathan Marsh, a native
of Maryland, emigrated to Ohio, a young, single man, first
locating in Harrison County; thence he went to Fairfield County,
Where he married Eleanor Pugh; thence he removed
to Champaign County, then to Logan County, and, about 1835, he
came to Hale Township and settled northeast of Mount Victory, on
land now owned by J. W. Price, on Survey 6,440.
Subsequently he purchased land south of Mount Victory, where he
resided several years; thence he moved to Iowa, where he died,
Feb. 12, 1869, aged sixty-eight years. His wife died Feb.
23, 1858, aged fifty-six years. Mr. Jones’
body was brought back to this county and interred at Mount
Victory in the Dille Cemetery beside that of his wife.
Their children were Ananias, Ezerias, Margaret,
Daniel, Michael, Thomas, Isaiah,
Martha, Louisa and Almira. Peter
Marsh came here from near Tiffin, Ohio, and settled in the
eastern part of this township about 1842. He was a good
citizen, and served as County Commissioner from 1859 to 1865,
Among others who came
here from 1835 to 1845, we mention Harrison Lake,
Simon Schurtzer, Christopher Richardson,
John Richardson, Barnet Richardson, John
Robinson, Uriah Baldwin and C. Copp.
Moses Kennedy was born in
Adams County, Penn., in 1822; came to Wyandot County in_1838,
and, in 1842, married Nancy Kendrick. In
1844, he settled in this township at his present place of
residence on Panther Creek. He has been an active citizen
in promoting the growth and improvements of this county, and has
been closely identified with the civil and religious
institutions thereof. He has filled most of the important
offices of his township, has been serving as County Commissioner
for several years, and is one of the prominent and trustworthy
citizens of Hale Township.
Thomas McCall was born in
Washington County, Penn., Dec. 10, 1811, and is a son of
William and Elizabeth McCall. The
grandfather, John McCall, was one of the pioneers of said
Washington County, and served as teamster, being pressed into
the service of Braddock’s army, and was with that General
when he was defeated by the British and Indians. At this
time, John McCall was a lad of sixteen years, and.
subsequently married Sarah Hutton. He
settled on a farm about twenty miles from the place of
Braddock’s defeat. where he resided through life. He
raised four sons - Thomas, Joseph, William
and John, and four daughters - Ruth, Mary,
Sarah and Elizabeth. Of these, William
married Elizabeth Elliott and settled in his
native county. where he resided till 1827. He removed to
Portage County, Ohio, where he died about 1840, aged fifty-six
years; subsequently his widow, with her family, removed to Logan
County, where she died, aged sixty-six years. Thomas
married Judith Bloomfield, a native of Crawford
County, Penn., and, in January, 1812, settled in Hale Township
on the place where he still lives and has resided for a period
of forty-one years. At the time he settled here, there was
not a settler or improvement on the road from Mount Victory to
Kenton. Here he performed a large share of pioneer work;
has cleared over 150 acres right from the heavy forests, and now
owns 311 acres of good land with good improvements. He
started in life with very little capital, but by his own labor
and industry has accumulated little by little, until now he is
possessed of a competency, and is one of the independent and
reliable farmers of Hardin County, and a much esteemed and
respected citizen. He is the father of fifteen
Page 651 -
children; eight of whom now survive - Malissa, Lucinda,
Susan, Lewis B., William, Thomas M., Matilda Jane and
Salmon P. Chase.
In every new country,
one of the earliest necessities is a burial place for the dead,
and here it was no exception to that rule, for, in a very few
months after the first settlers located in the west part of this
township, sickness and death visited them and several of their
number, from the infant to those of more mature years. The
first one who died in Hale Township was a Mrs.
Jennings, about the first of February, 1832. On the
4th of February, her oldest child died. On the 4th of
March, of the same year, Isaac Jennings, the
husband and father of the above, died; and on the 27th of the
same month, his brother,
Page 652 -
Cornelius Jennings, died. Oh, how ruthless
was death to those two families! Only about four months
previous to the death of the last mentioned, those
families had entered this then wilderness with strong arms and
radiant hopes, happy hearts, animated with the pleasant
prospects of future
homes and a competency, with the comforts and conveniences that
such can produce. Alas, in so short a time four of the
loved ones were consigned to their graves! Also in March of the
same year (1830), John Andrews, a brother of the
well-known old pioneer, James Andrews, died and
was buried. These all passed away before any cemetery or
burial place was established, and were interred upon their own
private lands, with probably now nothing to mark their quiet
resting places. John Wolf is said to have made the first
coffins. It is believed that the Eddy Cemetery was the
first established burial place, and was first dedicated to use
by the reception of the body of a child of James
McConnel, about 1837, since which time, about one acre of
ground was donated and set apart for this purpose, and in which
many of the dead of this neighborhood have since been interred.
And what appeared sad to the writer, as he walked among their
silent graves, a large portion of them had no “head-stone” to
tell one word as to who rests beneath the sod.
The second burial ground established was the Dille
Cemetery at Mount Victory, which was donated for that purpose by
Cyrus Dille, and the first body deposited here was
a child of the donor. The first adult person interred here
was a Mr. Monjar, and the second, Christopher
Richardson. The latter died Feb. 1, 1841, aged
seventy-five years. This cemetery probably contains a
little more than one acre of ground, and is now nearly filled
with the remains of the departed. Ridgeway Cemetery
consists of two and one-half acres of ground, situated about one
and one-quarter miles northeast of the town, on the South Branch
of Panther Creek, and was donated for the purpose by Samuel
McCulloch about 1850, and for which, in 1860, a deed was
duly made and executed, conveying the same to the incorporated
village of West Ridgeway. In the east part of the
township, by the Church of God, is a burial place, consisting of
one-half acre, which was deeded by Hannah Schertzer
to the “West Ohio Eldership of the Church of God,” as a
permanent burying ground. The last established cemetery is
located west of Mount Victory, on the south side of the pike,
near the West Branch of Panther Creek, and was purchased, in
1881, by the Township Trustees, and duly fenced in and laid out
into lots, walks and driveways, as a public burial place for the
township. This is centrally located, and will doubtless
become the general burial place of the township. The
Ridgeway Cemetery above mentioned is beautifully located on an
elevated piece of ground, and is a very suitable and appropriate
resting place for the dead.
located on the Logan County line, near the southwest corner of
the township, the extreme south part of the village lying in
Logan County; the latter is located in about the geographical
center of the township, both villages, being situated on the
Cleveland, Columbia, Cincinnati & Indianapolis Railroad.
Ridgeway was surveyed and laid out into lots, streets and alleys
by R. D. Millar, County Surveyor, for William Boggs
and Samuel McCulloch, proprietors, May 20, 1851. In
August and September of the same year, an extension was made of
outlots. On Dec. 7, 1858, on petition of forty-eight
resident voters, the village was incorporated under the name of
West Ridgeway. This village received its name
Page 653 -
in honor of the Ridgeway Company, from whom Samuel
McCulloch purchased the land. When the town was laid
out, there was one log cabin standing on the lot where Dr.
Crow’s residence now stands, which had been erected by
Judge A. Snoddy. After the town was laid out,
Gorham Bunker erected the first house, a small frame.
which is now occupied by Alonzo Bailey. W. P.
Hews opened the first store and Robert Stevenson
the first hotel and first blacksmith shop in 1852. Dr.
D. C. Wooley was the first physician. The post Office
was established in 1851 or 1852, with Michael Printz as
Postmaster. The first improvement, however, that was made
in Ridgeway was the erection of a saw mill by William
Callahan, on property now owned by R. P. Lukens, in
the west part of the town, just south of the railroad.
Mr. Callahan purchased four acres of land from
Samuel McCulloch and erected the above mentioned mill
in the spring of 1851, and soon after built himself a house.
Subsequently he purchased three acres more of land adjoining his
first purchases. This mill was run for several years and
sawed all the lumber for the first houses of the town and
vicinity, then went out of use. In 1859, Mr.
Callahan purchased a saw mill which had been erected by
Van Deuser & Headly a short time previous.
Soon after, Mr. Callahan put in two run of buhrs
and machinery for a grist mill and took in a partner in the
person of William R. Watson. This was a good mill
and did good work. About 1863, Messrs. Campbell
& Howe erected a third saw mill and a stave factory
combined, which was located on the ground where the present saw
mill stands, and Mr. Callahan went in as a
partner. This mill and factory did a large business several
years, but finally went out of use; subsequently the property
was purchased by Jacob Rumor, who rebuilt the saw
mill, which is still in use, and is doing a good business.
The grist mill above mentioned is now owned by Charles Rush,
and although it is now old and quite dilapidated, yet it still
does some business. The public school was organized and a
small frame house built for school purposes in 1853. This
was succeeded, in 1866-67, by a new union school brick building,
consisting of two departments, which served the purpose until
the increase of scholars demanded more mom, and, in 1880, the
present large and fine brick building was erected, containing
four rooms, at a cost of about $5,000. The Board of
Education of West Ridgeway returned to the County Auditor the
following report: Total receipts for school purposes, $2,451.06;
total expenditures, $1,756; balance on hand Sept. 1, 1882,
$695.06; number of school rooms, 2: number of teachers employed,
2; average wages per month, male, $45, female, $25; number of
weeks the schools were in session, 28; number of scholars
enrolled, primary, boys, 28, girls, 26; high, boys, 15, girls,
24; total 93. The town now embraces the following
businesses: Two general stores, one by R. McElhaney and
one by Moffat & Fisher; one grocery, by John
Limes; one hardware, by Sarah Davis; one
drug store, by A. D. Bailey; one bakery, by James
Lake; one saddlery and harness shop, by R. J. Williams;
one millinery store, by Mrs. Davis; one livery, by
C. M. Kennedy; four blacksmiths, M. Ormsby,
John Printz, L. Stevenson and J. L. Humor; and
four physicians, Drs. E. B. Crow, R. Edwards,
W. C. Hodges and J. H. Crow; also one hotel, by
Mount Victory. - This town was surveyed and laid
out by R. D. Millar, for Ezra Dille, Aug.
23, 1851. In May, 1856, an addition of outlets was made by
M. Converse. Abner Snoddy made an
addition Apr. 3, 1868, and on June 10, 1872, Peter S. Howe
made an addition. The name of the town came in this
manner: The land upon which the town was laid out
Page 654 -
belonged to the estate of Cyrus Dille, and was
soon to be sold at administrator’s sale. Samuel
McCulloch had just laid out the town of Ridge way, and for
the interests of that village, he desired to prevent the
starting of another town here; therefore he made an effort at
the public sale of said land to outbid all others, purchase the
land and turn it into a pasture. But Ezra Dille was
on the alert; he bid off the land and returned home rejoicing.
He was met by Thomas McCall, who inquired who
succeeded in buy ing the land? Mr. Dille
replied, “We did,” and Mr. McCall immediately
exclaimed “Victory! Victory! its name shall be Mount Victory.”
And the name was adopted by the proprietor of the town, and by
that name it has ever since been known. Before the town
was laid out, a cabin had been built on the ground where the
Mount Victory Hotel now stands, by Thomas Manley.
He moved away, and the cabin was occupied by Stephen
Strickland; then Ezra Dille, the proprietor of
the town, occupied it for a time. After the town was laid
out, the first building erected was a small frame, built close
by the above-mentioned cabin by Daniel Stone,
which was occupied by Frank Seaman, who put in a
small stock of goods, which was the first store for the new
town; this was in the fall of 1851. In 1852, Seaman
and Dille erected the long frame building, just south of
the rail road, now occupied as a billiard room and a residence.
In this building, Mr. Seaman and his brother
George, put in a general stock of merchandise, and for
several years carried quite an extensive trade. The next
store was opened by David Ellis and Elihu
Curl, and about this time (1853-54), the post office was
established, with David Ellis as Postmaster.
Russell & Elliott were the first blacksmiths.
The first physician was Dr. Converse. The
first hotel was kept by Jefferson Babcock, who was
succeeded by Lewis Cowgill, and this was a part of the
building now known as the Mount Victory Hotel. In 1852-53,
Ezra Dille erected the large warehouse by the
railroad, which is now a warehouse and grist mill. The first
child born in Mount Victory was Lafayette W. Dille, and
the first born in the township was Blair Dille, in
the spring of 1832. The first saw mill in the village was
erected by Jeremiah Elliot, about 1851; it was run
by steam power and sawed large quantities of ties for the
railroad, whose track was then being laid through the place.
He was succeeded in the ownership of the mill, about 1854, by
Joseph and Eli James, who continued to run it
many years, but it went into decay and out of use. The
grist mill was erected in the warehouse, in 1881, by Carter
& Howe. The present population of the town is about
500, and has the following business interests now represented:
Five general stores, Peter S. Howe, M. S. Elder &
Co., Henry Williams, Shepherd Humphrey
and J. W. Gregg; two groceries, William Bloomer
(died in March, 1883), and Adam Allen; one drug
store, R. L. Titsworth; one harness shop, Jefferson
Boyd; one dealer in agricultural implements, Smithston
& Co.; three boot and shoe shops, W. H. H. Fleck, T.
B. Sampson and James McDonald; one wagon
maker, FrankSchmidt; one livery, Rosebrook & Bro.;
three blacksmiths, S. T Beams, Wooley & Son and
Gustavus Garwood; one grist mill and warehouse,
Burke, Greathouse & Monegar; one saw mill and
handle factory, Boyd Bros. & Co.; one tile factory,
Stewart Bros; two millinery and fancy stores, M.
C. Allen and Mrs. Euseba Overshiner; one hotel, L.
M. Beebe; one attorney at law, Brice Williams;
two physicians, Drs. D. H. Le Van and C. W. Morrow,
and one veterinary surgeon, Dr. Robert Stewart.
The schools of Mount Victory should, perhaps, receive a special
notice. The first schoolhouse was a small frame, erected
soon after the laying-out of
Page 655 -
Page 656 - (BLANK PAGE)
Page 657 -
the town, on a lot now owned by William Boyd.
This was succeeded by a large frame building with two rooms,
which is now occupied as a drug store. This house served
for school purposes till 1875, when the present large and
commodious brick house was erected, with four rooms. at a cost
of $5,200. In 1876, through a desire of many citizens and
some members of the Board of Directors, by earnest and diligent
efforts of one or two of the Directors especially, the high
school department of the school was made a township school, open
and free to all in Hale Township. This gives a privilege
to large and more advanced scholars throughout the township,
which cannot but be appreciated more and more from year to year.
The Board have also manifested great taste, and desire to render
the school not only efficient and beneficial, but to make it
“home-like” and pleasant for the scholars by grading the play
grounds, setting out shade trees, and other wise beautifying the
Asbury Post, No. 257, G. A. R., was instituted Aug. 25,
1882, by Col. W. P. Anderson, of Marysville, Union Co.,
Ohio, with the following charger members, viz.: J. W. Jones,
W. H. H. Fleck, John H. Kemper, Levi E. Hager, Horton Park,
George W. Peaver, e. L. Seabring, J. D. Henson, J. N.
Richardson, John H. Shirk, William S. Carson, S. G. Humphrey, W.
W. McFadden, W. Montz, Eli M. Golden, Milton Southard, Aaron
Koplin, Henry Williams, C. W. Morrow and Adam Allen,
and officered as follows: P. C., Henry Williams, S.
V. C., W. W. Williamson; J. V. C., Aaron Koplin;Adjt.,
W. H. H. Fleck; Q. M., J. N. Richardson; Surg.,
C. W. Morrow; Chap., Levi E. Hager; O. D., John H.
Shirk; O. G., J. W. Jones; S. M., E. L. Seabing;
Q. M. S., William S. Carson. Present membership
is twenty-eight, and officered as follows: P. C., Henry
Williams; S. V. C., W. W. McFadden; J. V. C.,
R. A. Powelson; Adjt., W. H. H. Fleck; Q. M., S.
G. Humphrey; Surg., C. W. Morrow; Chap., Milton
Southard; O. D., William Montz; O. G., Isaac H.
Wilson; S. M., J. W. Jones; Q. M. S., William D.
F. Matthews The post meets every first and third
Friday evenings, in Howe's Hall, at Mount Victory.
Grange, No. 165, was instituted Nov. 16, 1872, by Deputy
Swinnerton, of Marion County, Ohio, in the schoolhouse at
Grassy Point, consisting of the following charter members:
John Robinson, Ira Baker, Manson
Dille, Park Snodgrass, Alfred
Snodgrass, George Frame, Rebecca
Robinson, Rebecca Baker, Nancy Ann
Dille, Mary Robinson, Thomas Dunson,
Mary Dunson, Isaiah Brugler,
Nancy Brugler, George McDonald and W. H.
Baldwin, with John Robinson, M. and Ira
Baker, O. The present membership is sixty-five, with
officers as follows: Walter Baldwin; M.;
Brinton Peditt, O.; John C. Johnson,
Chap; W. H. Baldwin, L.; Daniel Baldwin,
Secretary; and William Rule, Treasurer. Soon
after its institution, they purchased the old schoolhouse
property and erected an
addition to said building, so that the house consists of three
rooms - ante-room. hall and store room - at a cost of about
Victory Lodge, No.
583, I. O. O. F., at Mount Victory, was instituted July 10,
1874, by M. Denel, M. W. G. M., of Urbana, Ohio, with the
following charter members, viz.: Horton Park,
Peter S. Howe, F. L. Denman, W. A. Rinehart. J. N.
Richardson, A. Thompson, W. M. Titsworth, A. J. Stouffer, D. B.
Rinehart, D. H. Le Van. E. W. Riley. C. W. Morrow, T. J. Boyd
and Daniel Butler. Elective officers: Horton Park,
N. G.; Daniel Butler, V. G.; W. N. Titsworth, R.
S.; F. L. Denmon, P.
Page 658 -
S.; and D. H. Le Van, Treasurer. Present
membership, thirty-four, with the following oflicers: Peter
S. Howe, N. G.; John McDonald, V. G.; T. P.
Willaur, R. S.; L. Winders, P. S.; and Daniel
Butler, Treasurer. The lodge meetings are every
Saturday eve, at Odd Fellows Hall.
No. 693, I. O. O. F., was was instituted June 29, 1880, by
H. P. Gravatt, M. W. G. M., with the following charter
members, viz.: O. V. Fisher, A. Williams, M. M.
Cottrell, J. A. Rumer, A. Baldwin, B. P. Lukens, Joseph Miner,
E. W. Riley, A. Koplin, J. H. Dickison, J. Davis, R. McElhaney,
T. J. Cottrell. D. H. Keech and O. C. Hutchison, with
the following officers: D. H. Keech, N. G., John
Davis, V. G.; M. M. Cottrell, R. S.; E. W.
Riley, P. S.; and R. P. Lukens, Treasurer.
Present membership of the lodge is forty-one, with officers as
follows: A. Baldwin, N. G.; Jacob Vassar, V. G.,
James Gardner, R. S ; J. D. Corwin, P. S.; and
T. G. Vasser, Treasurer. The meetings of the lodge are
every Wednesday evening at Odd Fellows Hall, Ridgeway, Ohio.
Episcopal Church of Ridgeway
Page 659 -
Mount Victory. -
Church, Mount Victory,
Church of God -
Page 660 -
Methodist Protestant Church was organized in the old
Page 661 -
Church of Ridgeway
Catholic Mission, Mount
Victory.* - At Mount Victory, the Catholic priests of
Kenton, ever since the year 1866, would frequently collect a
little band of worshippers in some private house. There
are people would assist at holy mass, receive the sacraments and
hear the word of God. Only two Catholic families remain in
the village at present, although formerly there were more, but
when all the members from the neighborhood and from Ridgeway are
collected together it makes still a little congregation of eight
*By A. S. Siebenfoercher.