A Part of Genealogy Express


Welcome to
History & Genealogy

A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches,
Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Military
Record; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent
Men; History of the Northwest Territory;
History of Ohio; Miscellaneous
Matters, Etc., Etc.
Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co.


Pg. 613

     A little more than fifty years ago, the territory now embraced in the boundary lines of what is known and designated as Goshen Township, and which now contains so many beautiful farms and fine improvements, was all a dense forest, inhabited by wild beasts, and not a trace of a white settler within its precincts.  The ring of the woodman’s ax had not yet disturbed the wild beast in his lair, and the hunter and trapper had full and undisputed sway.  What a change in so short a period!  Although there is still an abundance of wood and timber for all practical purposes, yet thousands of acres of land have been cleared bY the brawny arms of the sturdy pioneers. and now among the finest cultivated farms of Hardin County.
     This township was organized in the spring of 1834, but as the county records, showing the acts of the Commissioners in organizing this township, were destroyed by fire, in 1853, and as the records of the township are preserved only since 1839, we are unable, from any records, to describe the original boundary lines.  But it is known that at first it embraced more territory than now, as nine sections were, in 1845, attached to Wyandot County.  The township is all embraced in the “Congress Lands,” as the territory all lies north of the Scioto River. As it is now constituted, it embraces twenty-seven sections, or 17,280 acres.  It is bounded as follows: On the north, by Jackson Township and Wyandot County; on the east, by Wyandot and Marion Counties; on the south, by Dudley Township, and on the west by Pleasant Township.  It is said to have received its name on account of the exceeding richness of its soil, and the vast quantities of honey produced by wild bees - in comparison to the Goshen of oriental fame.





Page 614 -






     As stated above, about 1832, we find the first permanent settlers locating in this township.  Of some of these, we make the following mention; and we would here state, that after the settlers commenced to locate here the flow of immigration was rapid, and in less than twenty years - or in 1850 - the census gave a population of 490.  In 1860, it had almost doubled, the population then being 894.  Again, in 1870, it reached 928, and in 1880, there were 1,030.  From these statistics, it will be seen that during the decade from 1850 to 1860 the immigration was unprecedented.

     Samuel Kelly, who, it is believed, was born in Pennsylvania, became a settler of this township in the winter of 1832-33, locating on the northeast quarter of Section 20, where his son, William A. Kelly, now resides.  He remained here many years, but subsequently removed to Kansas, where he still resides at quite an advanced age.  He was the father of three children, of whom but one now survives—William A., who, as mentioned above, resides on the old home place, and is a man highly esteemed for his moral worth and integrity, and has held many of the leading offices of his township.

     Jonathan Mason, a native of Virginia, emigrated to Ohio, first settling in Fairfield County, and about 1832-33 removed to Hardin County, and

Page 615 -


Page 616 - (BLANK PAGE)

Page 617 -
located in what is now Goshen Township, on land now owned by Baker Latham, where several roads intersect, and which has been known for many years as Mason’s Corners.  Mr. Mason resided here till his death.  He had the following children, viz., John, Thomas, Charles, Wilson, Loyd and JaneMr. Mason was a man somewhat peculiar in his habits, never made any religious profession, but was a kind neighbor and esteemed citizen.

     Alexander Pool, believed to be a native of Pennsylvania, was first a settler in Richland County, where he resided several years; thence, in the spring of 1833, settled in this township, located on land where he resided till his death in the spring of 1882, having made a residence here of forty-nine years.  Of his children, Mr. B. Pool resides on the old home place; John and William are residents of Kenton, where they are carrying on the blacksmithing and wagon business.

     Samuel McQuown, believed to be a native of Virginia, settled in this township about 1833-34, and was for several years well known as a devoted Presbyterian, a man of undoubted integrity and a much respected citizen.  He died where he first located.  Of his sons, Robert served several years as Township Clerk, James is a resident farmer of Pleasant Township. and there were several others who moved away.

     George and Jonas Butcher, two brothers, natives of Virginia, settled in the northwest part of the township in the winter of 1832-33, where they resided till their death.  They were good neighbors and citizens, and died esteemed and respected by all who knew them.  Of the children of George Butcher, Joel is now a resident of Pleasant Township; Evaline married E. Spitzer; Mary married Robert Coates, and others moved West.  The surviving children of Jonas Butcher have all emigrated to the West.

     John Garrett, a gentleman of Irish descent, came here from Pennsylvania and settled on land now owned by R. Frazer, in 1834, and remained a resident here till his death.

     Spear, James and John Hastings. with their father, settled in the south east part of Goshen about 1833-34, where the father died.  The sons above-mentioned are still residents of the same locality, and are now among the wealthy and prominent farmers of this township.  They began right in the dense forests, and by their own labor and industry have cleared up their lands, erected fine buildings and now have beautiful farms and pleasant homes.

     Hugh Pugh settled on land now owned by R. S. Latham, in 1834-35, and there resided till his death.  He was a man of strict integrity, a member of the Presbyterian Church and a valued citizen.  He was the father of several children, some of whom are dead, and the balance are all settled in the West.

     Henry Cole came here from Fairfield County, Ohio, about 1834-35, and resided here many years, but subsequently removed to the west part of Hardin County, where he died.  He was a member of the United Brethren Church.

     Michael Johnson settled on the northwest quarter of Section 30, in 1835; after a residence of several years, he moved away.

     George M. Cummins, a native of New Jersey, settled, in 1834-35, with his family on the northeast quarter of Section 22, where his son, Jacob S., now resides.  He died on the place where he first located, a man of great moral worth and integrity.  He had two children—Jacob S. and Mary Ann; the latter is now a resident of Michigan.  Mr. Cummins died Jan. 14, 1866.

Page 618 -

     Jeremiah Sims was born in Mifflin County, Penn., May 14, 1791; emigrated to Ohio. and settled on the southwest quarter of Section 15, Goshen Township, in July, 1835, where he resided with his son John until his death.  He died July 19, 1883, aged ninety-two years, two months, five days.  He had five sons and three daughters, of whom four new survive - John, Catharine, Rebecca and Harriet.  The son, John, who resides on the home place, erected a good house, and fitted up some rooms for his aged father, but the old gentleman refused to occupy them, preferring to live by him self in the old house.  Mr. Sims was by trade a post and rail fence builder.  He commenced life a poor man. and by his own industry became quite wealthy.  His long life was characterized by industry, integrity and up rightness, and he was a member of the Christian Church.  There is a circumstance connected with Mr. Sims’ life so unusual that we deem it worthy to be placed here on record.  About the year 1840-41, a colt was sired on his farm, which he raised, and which became a favorite horse of his, and an animal of trust and value, with which he would not part for “love or money.”  This animal lived. and was cared for with the tenderest affection, till, in February, 1883, it died, aged forty-two years.  There are few, if any, records of horses living to such an extreme age.  It is said that Mr. Sims drove the horse to Kenton and back several times last summer - a distance of nine miles.  During the last two months of the life of this horse, he was mainly supported on apples, being unable to masticate the ordinary feed for horses.  It is said that the old gentleman grieved exceedingly at the loss of this aged but faithful animal. Mr. Sims was, doubtless, the oldest man in Hardin County when he died.

     William and Morris Baker, two brothers, natives of Virginia, emigrated with their families to Ohio, and settled in the northwest part of this township, about 1835-36, where their remained during the balance of their lives.  The former was a member of the Christian Church, and the latter of the Presbyterian.  They both raised large families, many of whom are deceased; some moved West; James, a son of Morris Baker, resides in the township and owns a part of the old home place, and Rachel, his sister, was married to G. W. Armstrong, and resides in Kenton.

     Jacob Yauger was born in Pennsylvania January 18, 1799. He married Charity Albertson, and emigrated to Holmes County, Ohio; thence, in December, 1836, removed to this township and settled on the northwest quarter of Section 22, on the land where his son William now resides.  Here Mr. Yauger opened out in the midst of a dense forest, and here remained till his death.  He died Apr. 20, 1868.  Mr. Yauger was a very plain, unpretentious man, but whose veracity and integrity were beyond reproach, and who had the esteem and confidence of his community to an almost unlimited extent.  He served as Trustee of his township sixteen years, and as Treasurer twenty years.  His family consisted of seven sons and two daughters, of whom only two new survive - Elam R. and William; the latter resides upon the old home place, where his father first located, and where, soon after their settlement, it was made the place of holding the township elections, and where they continued to be held till the spring of 1878, when the Trustees purchased a quarter of an acre of land off the northwest corner of Mr. Yauger’s farm, upon which they erected a township house, where the elections have since been held.

     John Millar, a native of Scotland, emigrated to America in 1805, and settled in Muskingum County. Ohio, where he was united in marriage with Sarah Dickson, who was born in Ireland and emigrated to America in 1810.

Page 619 -
They were married in 1815.  In 1836, they removed to Hardin County, locating on Sections 30 and 31, in Goshen Township.  He became a prominent farmer of this township.  He owned 500 acres of land and a home,well improved, at the time of his death, which occurred in 1851, in his sixty-seventh year.  He raised a family of seven children - Thomas B., Robert D., Jane, Agnes, James, Gracy and John D.  Of these, Thomas B., Agnes and John D. are deceased; Jane married, and resides in Indiana; the others are all married, and reside in this county, are all prosperous, reliable and respected citizens, and have filled many of the prominent offices of trust in the township and county.  In 1851, Robert D. was elected Surveyor, and held that office until 1857.  From 1861 to 1867, he was County Auditor.  From 1868 to 1869, he was County Engineer for the construction of pikes and gravel roads. In 1876-77, he was again appointed, and served as Engineer, since which he has given his principal attention to his farm.

     Mr. Hisey came from Belmont County to Hardin County about 1832-33, and settled on land near the crossing of the pike on the township line between Goshen and Dudley Townships, and the State road running from Bellefontaine to Upper Sandusky. where he resided several years, but subsequently moved away.  He was a preacher of marked ability, and quite a noted revivalist in the Free-Will Baptist Church.

     Joseph Roseberry, who came from Marion County to this county, and  settled on the State road near the McKendrick Methodist Episcopal Church, is believed to be the first settler to locate in the present precincts of Goshen Township, settling here as early as 1827-28.  After remaining here a few years, he again moved back into Marion County, where he died.

     In 1835-36, Harrison Barrett, who came here from Belmont County, Ohio, settled on the same tract of land up on which Mr. Joseph Roseberry resided, where he remained till his death. Two of his sons - Franklin and George—have married and settled in this township, and are among its prominent and reliable farmers.

     John Adam Pfeiffer was born in Prussia, Aug. 14, 1808, and came to Springfield, Ohio, in 1837; thence to Kenton. and to Goshen Township in 1840.  He lost his wife in 1859, since which he has resided with his sons, George and Peter.  His brother John came to Kenton two years before his arrival, and his brother George came to Springfield, where he married Sarah Shearer, and after residing there seven years removed to Goshen Township, where he now resides.  Peter, son of the above John Adam Pfeiffer, married Sabille Wolf, a daughter of Jacob Wolf, of Pleasant Township.


     The township records for the first four years after the erection of the township could not be found.  The elections were held at the house of Jacob Yauger, and, after his death, at the same place (then in possession of his son William) from the time soon after their settlement here until the spring of 1878, when the Trustees purchased one-quarter of an acre of land off the northwest corner of Mr. Yeager’s farm, upon which they erected the present township house, where the elections have since been held.  The records of the township commence with the year 1839, since which the officials have been as follows:

Trustees - 1839-40, William Baker, John Miller and Samuel Haynes;
  1841, William Baker, Jacob Yauger and Chancy Benson;
  1842, Jacob Yauger, John Kelly and Isaac Robinson;
  1843, Jacob Youger, William Baker and John Kelly;


Page 620 -

Trustees - 1844-45, Edward McGuigin, John Miller and Jacob Yauger;
  1846, Jacob Yauger, Henry Shriver and Thomas Baker;
  1847, Jacob Yauger, John Roberts and James Hastings;
  1848, Henry Shriver, John Roberts and Edward McGuigin;
  1849, Thomas Baker, Jacob Yauger and Edward McGuigin;
  1850, Robert Dickson, Jacob Yauger and Henry Shriver;
  1852, Isaac A. Robinson, George Butcher and Jacob Yauger;
  1853, Jacob Yauger, James Hastings and W. H. Borland;
  1854, Jacob Yauger, George Butcher and Edward McGuigin;
  1855, Jacob Yauger, Jeremiah Sims and Elisha White;
  1856, Jacob Yauger, W. H. Borland and Edward P. Bull;
  1857, Jacob, Jacob Yauger, W. H. Borland and John Roberts;
  1858, Benjamin Boyce, James Hastings and Sheldon Latham;
  1859, James Hastings, R. S. Latham and Adam Millar;
  1860, W. H. Borland, Edward McGuigin and Redman Coates;
  1861, J. S. Bull, H. T. Roby and James Baker;
  1862, Edward McGuigin, H. T. Roby and S. S. Bolenberg;
  1863, wantinng;
  1864, George Pfeiffer, John Yauger and William Pugh;
  1865, J. R. Millar, John Baker and Peter Pfeiffer;
  1866, William J. Emmons, W. H. Borland and George Pfeiffer;
  1867, William J. Emmons, W. S. Pugh and J. U. Heilman;
  1868, William J. Emmons, James M. Baker and Adam Millar;
  1869, William J. Emmons, W. S. Pugh and Peter Pfeiffer;
  1870, William S. Pugh, Peter Pfeiffer and J. M. Baker;
  1871, W. A. Kelly, G. W. Armstrong and James Hastings;
  1872, James Hastings, C. Althouser and David Thompson;
  1873, W. C. Ingman, W. J. Emmons and H. B. Latham;
  1874, James Hastings, H. B. Latham and J. W. Heilman.
Clerks - 1838-40, Robert McQuown;
  1841, A. Alexander;
  1842, Daniel K. Gilmore,
  1843, Stephen Frost;
  1844-46, Daniel K. Gilmore;
  1847 Robert Millar;
  1848, William A. Kelly;
  1849, Samuel Kelly;
  1850-51, Robert Millar;
  1852, George Clement;
  1853, Robert D. Millar;
  1854, George Clement;
  1855-56, Daniel R. Gilmore;
  1857-58, J. S. Bull;
  1859-60, Daniel K. Gilmore;
  1861, John Haley,
  1862-64, M. V. Toner;
  1865, J. W. Born;
  1866, John Duffey;
  1867, John Yauger;
  1868, John Haley;
  1869-70, William Yauger;
  1871, J. J. Wilkins;
  1872, Thomas W. Durnal;
  1873, M. V. Toner;
  1874, William Yauger.
Treasurers - 1839-43, Thomas Armstrong;
  1844-45, Benjamin Widener;
  1846-57, Jacob Yauger,
  1858, Timothy Stillings;
  1859-64, Jacob Yauger,
  1865, R. S. Latham;
  1866-67, Jacob Yauger;
  1868, James Thompson;
  1869-70, John Thompson;
  1871, C. B. Drum;
  1872-74, J. S. Cummins.
Constables - 1839, Nicholas Allison;
  1840, George H. Cummins;
  1841, wanting;
  1842-44, Henry Cole and Charles Polly;
  1845, George M. Cummins and Henry Cole;
  1846-47, George M. Cummins and Henry Cole;
  1848, George M. Cummins and Spear Hastings;
  1849-50, George M. Cummins and Elisha White;
  1851, Walker McFadden and George M. Cummins;
  1852, Thomas Comstock and Adam Pfeiffer;
  1853, George M. Cummins and Peter A. Robinson;
  1854, George M. Cummins and William A. Kelly;
  1855, George M. Cummins and Justus Rockwell;
  1856, Peter A. Robinson and Justus Rockwell;
  1857, Patrick Laughlin and William A. Kelly;
  1858, E. L. Sanford and A. W. Buell;
  1859, E. L. Sanford and R. Yauger;
  1860, Peter A. Robinson and Joseph Cross;
  1861, Joseph Cross and Peter Picket;
  1862, Charles Robinson and F. M. Childs;
  1863, _____;
  1864, G. B. Sanford and William Borland;
  1865, Andrew Coffman;
  1866, George Pfeiffer;
  1867, James Robinson and John Wolf;
  1868, J. P. Bower and P. Champlain;
  1869, A. Brown and A. Starling;
  1870, Adam Starling and P. Champlain;
  1871, John Watson and H. C. Comstock;
  1872, John Watson and William Hamilton;

Page 621 -

  1873, P. A. Robinson;
  1874, George Althouser and Hiram Borland.
Assessors - 1842-44, Samuel Holmes;
  1845, Henry Cole;
  1846-47, David Thompson;
  1848-49, Samuel Kelly;
  1850-51, Robert D. Millar;
  1852, George Clement;
  1853, Robert D. Millar;
  1854, George Clement;
  1855, Wilmot Munson;
  1856-57, William A. Kelly;
  1858, Robert D. Millar;
  1859, William A. Kelly;
  1860, Robert D. Millar;
  1861, William A. Kelly;
  1862, G. W. Armstrong;
  1863, ____;
  1864, John Haley;
  1865-67, J. A. Butcher;
  1868, G. W. Armstrong;
  1869, W. Armstrong;
  1870-72, A. V. Hartle;
  1873, J. B. Pumphrey;
  1874, A. V. Hartle.











     The first school in the township was in a little round-log cabin, situated on Section 21, of the old, primitive kind, and the first teacher was Sloan

Page 622 -
McQuown, about 1836-37.  But as this township was settled up quite rapidly, also so rapidly the schools were multiplied, and now (1883) it compares favorably, in the number and value of its schools and school houses, with those of the other townships of the county.
     Report of the Board of Education - Balance on hand Sept. 1, 1881, $1,121.79; State tax, $544.50; irreducible school funds, $231.40; township tax for school and schoolhouse purposes, $1,638.83; amount received from Marion County, $180; fines, licenses, tuition of non-resident pupils, etc., $76.93; total, $3,793.45.  Expenditures:  Amount paid teachers in common schools, $1,615.50; amount paid for fuel and other contingent expenses, $691.52; total, $2,307.02.  Balance on hand Sept. 1, 1882, $1,486.43; number of schoolhouses in township, 8; number of teachers to supply schools, 8; average wages per month of male teachers, $35; average wages per month of female teachers, $23; average number of weeks schools were in session, 23; total value of school property, $8,000.


     It appears that the religious element of this community took root, shape and form in the way of an organized body in the northeast part of this township, in that portion which has since been cut off and become a part of Wyandot County.  There, a church was organized at quite an early day, but, by the erection of Wyandot County, in 1845, the territory embracing this church became a part of that county; hence, the full history of the society belongs to a history of Wyandot; but we have mentioned the fact of its early organization, as many of its members and ardent supporters were citizens of Goshen Township.
   The first church to effect an organization within Goshen Township, as its boundary lines were established in 1840, was the Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church, situated on the northwest corner of Section 30, on the Kenton & Marseilles pike, near the west line of the township.  A class was here organized about 1845, consisting of the following persons: David Clayton and wife Mary, John Castor and wife Elizabeth, Paul Castor and wife Eleanor, David Ware and wife Samantha, John Looker and wife Lydia, Daniel Osborn and wife Dorothy, Thomas Miller and wife MargaretJohn C. Castor and wife Elizabeth, and some of the children of the above, with, perhaps, a few others whose names are not now remembered.  Their meetings and services were held in the Clayton Schoolhouse until the summer of 1859, when the present frame church edifice was erected at a cost of $1,300.  The house was dedicated to service on Sabbath, the 5th day of June, 1859, Elder E. C. Gavitt preaching the dedicatory sermon.  The principal ministers who have served this society since its organization are as follows: Revs. Joseph Good, Joshua Smith, Hamilton Bigley, Jacob Holmes, William J. Peck, Hiram M. Shaffer, Samuel Hagerman, Oscar E. Moore, Ira Jamison, W. S. Ray, James S. G. Reeder, Thomas Harvey Wilson, Daniel Carter, Isaac N. Kalb and Jason Young.  Its Class Leaders have been as follows: John Castor, Paul Castor, John Wilmuth, John Looker, T. B. Miller, Lewis Emmons, W. A. Kelly and John Maguea.  The following have served as Stewards: John Castor, Paul Castor, William A. Kelly and William P. Castor.  The present Trustees are Lewis Emmons, Paul Castor and William A. KellyPresent membership is about fifty-five.  Soon after the organization of the church, a Sabbath school was established, and has been continued during the summer seasons ever since, with good attendance, and doubtless sowing seed which will spring forth and

Page 623 -
continue to bear precious fruit through ages yet untold.  The average attendance last summer was about fifty, with William A. Kelly, Superintendent.

     Hopewell United Brethren Church was organized in the spring of 1870, by Rev. Thomas McKinney.  The following seven persons constituted the first class, viz.: J. R. Burnside and wife Loruhamah, S. P. Bolenbaugh and wife Catharine, Thomas Durnal and wife Hannah, and Adam Starling, with J. R. Burnside as Class Leader and S. P. Bolenbaugh as Steward.  They held their meetings and services in the schoolhouse until the summer of 1872, when the present frame church edifice was erected at a cost of $800.  The building was dedicated to service by Elder W. J. Shuey, of Dayton, who preached the dedicatory sermon Sept. 8, 1872.  The following ministers have served as pastors of this church, viz.: Revs. Thomas McKinney, J. W. Wagoner, T. W. Hughes, William Kiracofe, R. W. Wilgus, C. Bodey, James Wilkison, Reuben Moore, J. W. Wentz, Jacob Kiracofe, Jacob Parthamore and J. C. Montgomery.  As Stewards, S. P. Bolenbaugh, Thomas W. Durnal, Hollis James, Geddis Sterner, John Spitzer, M. B. Burnside and Thomas Wetherell.  Class Leaders, J. R. Burnside and Hezekiah Hemp.  Present membership, sixty.  The same summer after the organization of the church, a Sabbath school was organized, and has been continued through the summer seasons since, with an average attendance of about sixty; present Superintendent, J. R. Burnside.

     McKendre Chapel, Methodist Episcopal Church - Church.—The first class was organized by Rev. B. B. Powell, in 1858, and was connected with the Pisgah society, Marseilles charge.  It consisted of the following persons: W. J. Sanford, —— Sanford, W. J. Emmons, Sarah Emmons, Lewis Emmons, Harrison Barrett, Emma Barrett, G. L. Barrett, Sarah L. Barrett, Leonard Smalley, —— Smalley, John Kneisly, Susan Kneisly, W. W. McFadden, Christena McFadden, P. A. Robinson, James Robinson, Ann Robinson Eliza D. Wilson, E. J. Barrett, F. A. Clement, Purcell Sanford and wife, Emmerson Sanford and wife, Seldon Sanford and wife, George Sanford and John Haley, with W. J. Sanford as Class Leader.  A meeting was held at the house of W. J. Sanford, Dec. 13, 1858, at which time it was resolved to build a church edifice, and W. J. Emmons, L. Smalley and W. J. Sanford were appointed a committee to secure a deed for ground upon which to build.  At the same meeting, the following persons were appointed trustees: H. Barrett, L. Smalley, P. A. Robinson, W. J. Sanford, L. Emmons, W. J. Emmons, J. Kneisly, W. W. McFaddin and G. L. Barrett, W. J. Sanford and Harrison Barrett donated the land, each one-fourth of an acre.  A house was erected, 30x40 feet, at a cost of $900.  The church was dedicated in February, 1860, by a sermon from Maxwell P. Gladdis, of the Cincinnati Conference, at which time $100 was raised, to complete the payment of the cost of the church, and it was given the name of McKendre Chapel.  The following persons have served as Class Leaders: W. J. Sanford, W. J. Emmons, W. C. Ingman, L. Emmons, Henry Haynes, J. B. Pumphrey, A. W. Burnison, Henry Hensel and I. S. Baker.  The class was organized as a separate society, apart from the Pisgah society, by Rev. James DeLeil, in 1859, and was first recognized by the Marseilles charge in the quarterly conference, on July 29 of that year. The following pastors have served the society since its organization: Revs. James S. DeLeil, James Jackson, S. L. Roberts, John R. Colgan, D. D. S. Reah, William Boggs, John C. Castor, T. J. Mather, S. M. Boggs, F. Plumb, J. A. Wright, D. R. Cook, John

Page 624 -
Ormerod, W. W. Lance, J. C. Clemmons, William Dunlap and William Lucas, the latter being the present pastor.

     Salem German Reformed Church was organized in June, 1860, by Rev. J. G. Ruhl, of Marion, Ohio, from members of the Evangelical Protestant Reformed Confessionists, consisting of the following persons: Jacob Born, Sr., Jacob Born, Jr., Jacob S. Born, John U. Born, John F. Casper, Samuel Frendiger, John N. Kellerhals, Casper Burkhalter, Jacob Magly, John G. Fisher, Peter McUeller, Jacob Pfeister, John M. Meyer, John N. Seiler and John Schoeneman, Sr.  Services were held by both congregations at the old church, by mutual consent, until 1875, when, from existing circumstances, the members of the Salem congregation erected their present church building, which was dedicated to service, Nov. 14. 1875, by Rev. J. G. Ruhl, who was then their pastor. The society was duly incorporated, Jan. 10, 1876, and the articles of incorporation duly recorded at the office of the County Recorder.  This society, with the congregations of Kenton and Forest. belong to the Heidelberg class of the Central Synod of the Reformed Church of the United States.  The ministers who have served this church as its pastors have been Revs. William Renter, from 1860 to 1863; Gerhord Kuhlen, from 1864 to 1866; Carl Schaaf, from 1866 to 1869; Isaac Matzinger, from 1869 to 1871; Philip Ruhl, from 1871 to 1874; J. G. Ruhl, from 1874 to 1878; John Heberle, from 1879 to 1881.  Since January, 1882, Rev. J. G. Ruhl, of Findlay, Ohio, has served the church, temporarily as its pastor.  The Elders of the society have been Jacob Born, Jacob Pfeister, John Kimbelbein, Christian Daniels, John G. Fisher, John Schaffner, Christain Beeler, John F. Casper, Benedict Kanel and W. H. Krimbelbein.  Deacons: John G. Fisher. John Shafner, Jacob Born, Jacob Magly, John F. Casper, John G. Born, Jacob Kenzig and Jacob Schoeneman.  Present membership, 120; confirmed members, 53.  Present officers - Elders: John F. Casper and W. H. Krimbelbein. Deacons: Jacob Schoeneman. Jacob Kenzig and John Schoeneman, Sr., Trustees: Jacob Kenzig, Jacob Pfeister and John Schoeneman.  Sabbath school was organized in the spring of 1875, with John Schoeueman, Superintendent, Samuel Baker, Secretary, with an attendance of seventy and an
average of fifty-six.

     St. John's Lutheran Church was organized with the following constituent male members, viz.: Adam Pfeiffer, George Pfeiffer, Christian Althouser, Adam Millar, Christian Daniels, Jacob Born. Samuel Strauser, Jacob Wolfe, John N. Kellerhouse, John Sherman, Jacob Born, Jr., John N. Born, John Pfeiffer, Sr., John Elsassor, Samuel Frediker, George Bishop, Jacob Feister and Louis Rannagier.  They erected their present church building in 1850, which was duly dedicated to service.  The following ministers have served this church since its organization: Revs. Mr. Herman, Mr. Kisler, Mr. Helfer, Mr. Betchler, Mr. Dimpler, Mr. Crusy, Mr. Hembler, Mr. Surnadem. Mr. Diel, Mr. Munk, Mr. Sickle. and Mr. Betz, who is the present pastor in charge.  The present officers are George Pfeiffer. John Shoefner, Nicholas Bloom and Peter Daniels.  Its present members are as follows: John Blankner, Peter Pfeiffer, Louis Pfeiffer, George Pfeiffer, Jr., Henry Pfeiffer, Adam Pfeififer, Jr., John Heilman, Samuel Pfeiffer, George W. Althouser, Frederick Wolf, Andrew Bridenstine, Thomas Ramgier, Henry Bouse, Frederick Shoefner, Casper Radar and Rinehart Loubus.


     Goshen Grange, No. 578, was organized in February, 1872, by Deputy

Page 625 - (BLANK PAGE)

Page 626 -


Page 627 -
Parks Snodgrass, with the following charger members:  R. D. Millar, James R. Millar, Thoams B. Millar, George W. Ramge, Thomas Ramge, W. A. Kelly, John Haley, John Heilman, Jacob Pfeister, Peter Pfeiffer, Samuel Pfeiffer, Lewis Pfeiffer, John Stoll, David Swartz, Joel Russell, William Dickerson, Casper Stoll, Andrew Stoll, George Pfeiffer, D. K. Boyd, Joseph Cowen, John Cowen, Philip Daniels, Martha Millar, Ida Millar, Permelia Millar, Mrs. S. A. Boyd, Mrs. Martha Dikerson, Mrs. S. A. Haley, Margaret Kelly, Mrs. E. J. Kelly, Margaret Heilman and Rebecca Swartz.  Officers: R. D. Millar, M; Joel Russell, O.; John Stoll, S.; John Cowen, A. S.; George Ramge, G. K.; William A. Kelly, L.; Thomas Ramge, Treas.; John Haley, Sec.; Thomas B. Millar, Chap.; Martha Millar, Po.; Ida Millar, L. A. S.; Permelia Millar, Flo.; Mrs. E. J. Kelly, Ceres.  They held their meetings in the Millar Schoolhouse until the spring of 1877, when their present Grange Hall was erected - a frame building, 22x34 feet, containing three rooms.  The society meets regularly every Tuesday evening.  This has been a very prosperous society, increasing in membership and strength till it has become one of the largest and strongest Granges in the county.  At one time it reached a membership of 100.  Present membership, eighty-one.  Present officers: Alonzo Dickson, M.; John Heilman, O.; Lewis Dickson, S.; Lewis Emmons, A. S.; Willis Hodge, G. K.; Robert D. Millar, Sec.; C. B. Drum Treas.; W. A. Kelly, Sec.; Mrs. R. D. Millar, Chap.; Mrs. W. A. Kelly, Po.; Mattie Walters, Flo.; John Reeder, Cer.; and Mattie Charlton, A. L. Sec.






This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights