Page 568 -
ROADS AND PIKES.
The first settler of
this township was
Samuel Tidd, a native of Pennsylvania, who settled on
Section 21, in February, 1822, where he died Mar. 8, 1851.
Next, in order of the time, came the
Widow Richey, with her two sons, Samuel and
Andrew, and located on Section 20. They were also from
Pennsylvania, whence they emigrated to Logan County, Ohio.
Here the father died, and at the date mentioned the family
removed to this township, where the sons yet reside. A
fuller sketch of these families will be found in the general
history of the county.
James Hilt came to Round Head
Township during the year 1825, also settling on Section 20.
He was born near Baltimore, Md., removed thence to Lancaster
County, Penn., and, subsequently to Logan County, Ohio; thence
to Hardin. He remained here one or two years, and went
back to Logan County, but, in 1833, he again came to this
township, and located on the same section, where he died, Sept.
25, 1862, aged ninety-nine years. His wife died, in 1851,
aged seventy-eight years. During the last eleven years of
his life, he was totally blind. He was a member of the
Presbyterian Church during his young manhood; subsequently he
united with the Methodist Episcopal Church with his wife, and
remained an earnest and practical, every-day Christian, and a
devoted member of this church for more than sixty years.
He was the father of the following children: John C., Nancy,
Martin, Sarah, James, Rosanna, Samuel and Mary; all
now deceased but James, who now resides near Huntersville.
John Mahan, a native of Kentucky,
married Susannah Tillott, and subsequently removed
to Ross County, Ohio, and, in October, 1828, came to Round Head
Township, and settled on the southeast quarter of Section 19,
where he resided until his death. He died Apr. 30, 1845,
aged sixty-eight years. His wife died Sept. 4, 1862, aged
sixty-two years. Mr. Mahan, a few years after
locating here, saw the inconvenience of going twenty miles or
more to Logan County to get grinding, those being the nearest
mills to this new settlement, so he at once erected a
horse-power mill. The buhrs were made from nigger-head
stone; the drive wheels made of blocks of wood, of triangular
shape, the base being oval and placed at the circumference, with
the apex to the center. This wheel was then connected with
the horse-power by a belt of hickory bark, and the horse, made
to pass around in a circle, attached to the sweep-pole, put the
whole machinery in motion, when the grain placed in the hopper
passed between the buhrs and was thus ground into meal.
Although it was somewhat imperfect, and slow in its operations,
compared with our mills of the present day, yet it was a great
convenience and saving of much time and labor to the early
settlers, and for
Page 569 -
a few years supplied the people, until better mills were
erected. Mr. Mahan was twice married.
After the death of his first wife, he married Susan
Hillman, a native of Pennsylvania. His children, by
his first wife, were Mary, Mattie, Nancy,
Elizabeth, James, John and Lydia—all
now deceased but Charles, Nancy and Lydia.
By his second wife he had Samuel, David, Wesley,
William, Henry, Sarah J., Eliza
Ann, Asa, Edward H., Margaret and
Clay; the latter was killed in the army in the war of the
Joseph W. Bowdle, a native of
Maryland, emigrated to Ross County, Ohio, in 1800, where he
married Lucretia Brown, a native of the State of
Delaware In the fall of 1831, he removed with his family to this
township, and settled on the northwest quarter of Section 19,
where he lived till his death, in November, 1850, and his
remains now rest in the Salem Cemetery, in Allen County.
His wife died several years previous to his death. He was
an Associate Judge of Hardin County from 1833 to 1839.
Their children were James B., Jesse L., Rebecca
G., Nelson H., Priscilla, Isaac N.,
Thomas W., Milton W., Ann C. and William D.
Mr. Bowdle was one of the first Associate
Judges of this county. In religion, he was a Methodist, and was
an exhorter in that church for many years. even long prior to
his settling in Hardin County.
Jesse Bowdle, a brother of the
above Joseph Bowdle, married Lillie Bowdle
in Ross County, and came here in the fall of 1832, and settled
on the east half of the southwest quarter of Section 18, where
he died in 1862. Mr. Bowdle was a local
preacher in the Methodist Church for more than forty years.
His children were David S., Samuel P., Henry S. and
Jonathan Carter was born near
Rochester, N. Y., in 1800. In 1806, his father, with his
family and some of his neighbors, emigrated to the Mad River
country, in Ohio, of which they had heard glowing accounts.
They made their way though the wilderness to Buffalo, where the
family took passage on a small vessel for Maumee Bay, while a
quantity of stock was driven through the then unbroken
wilderness, along the shore of the lake, to the same
destination. After a long and perilous voyage, the vessel
entered the Maumee Bay, and passed up the river to the rapids,
where they took open boats and went up the river; thence up the
Auglaize River as far as they could; thence, by land, to the
neighborhood of Bellefontaine. But, finally, Mr.
Carter concluded the Maumee country would suit him better,
so he removed back, and opened out a farm on the west bank of
that river, about four miles above the rapids, where they
remained until the war of 1812 made it unsafe to stay any
longer, when he returned to the Mad River with his family,
except two sons who enlisted during the war. Jonathan
tried hard to enlist, but was rejected because of his youth.
Mr. Carter, however, remained on his farm till
after Hull’s surrender, and the country was over run by
the British and Indians, who carried off all movable property
and burned all buildings in the neighborhood. As a last
resort, they dug as many potatoes as each could carry, which,
with a few chickens, were all the food the enemy spared them,
and made their way south, by “Hull’s trail,” to the
settlements in Logan County, there being no settlement or house
nearer. Several families, including women and children,
made their escape in this way. After the war was over,
Mr. Carter returned to the Maumee, and again erected
buildings and made another start in life. But the Indians
would not allow him to live in peace. A son and son-in-law
were way laid by them, and the latter killed at the first fire;
but not until the son had dis-
Page 570 -
patched three of the fee was he hewed down by their tomahawks.
The settlers now repaired to Fort Meigs for safety, where they
remained for some time. But Mr. Carter
and family, with some others, determined to leave the
country; and the only safe course was to take an open boat, and
drop down the river and bay under cover of the night, and make
their way to Cleveland and thence to Bellefontaine the best way
they could. Soon after their arrival at the latter place,
Mr. Carter was killed by a “weight pole” rolling
off of the roof of his cabin, thus suddenly ending his eventful
life. After peace was fully restored, the settlers along
the Maumee and Detroit Rivers returned to their former places of
abode. A large trade in stock was carried on between
Southern Ohio and that country. Jonathan Carter
went through with eighteen droves of stock when there was not a
house between the neighborhood of Bellefontaine and the Maumee,
and his thrilling stories of adventure are marvelous in the
extreme. Mr. Carter settled in this county,
at Round Head, in 1829, where he built the first cabin, and, in
1832, laid out that town; in 1833, after the organization of
Hardin County, he served as the first Treasurer; has filled
various offices of trust in his county and township. in all of
which he has rendered a faithful stewardship. In the prime of
his life, he was a very strong, muscular man, and capable of
enduring great physical exertion and hardships, and had many a
wrestle with the Indians, among whom he found but few who could
throw him. He has passed a life of industry and activity,
and in all his transactions has sustained an unblemished
character for integrity and uprightness. He was one of the
organizers of the first Methodist society in this vicinity,
which was one of the first in the county, and in which he has
remained a faithful worker for half a century. He is now
in his eighty-third year, is in very feeble health. and his
life’s warfare is evidently nearly ended. He has been
twice married. First, to Nancy McArthur, a
daughter of Donald McArthur, by whom he had eleven
children, four new surviving - Mary J., David (now
a practicing physician in Anderson, Ind.), Margaret and
Nancy; the deceased are Eliza, John F.,
Archibald, Wesley, Maria and two who died in
infancy. Mrs. Carter died in 1864. In
1865, he married Mrs. Arminta Jane
Shaffer, a native of Logan County, Ohio.
Among the earliest settlers of this
portion of Hardin County were William and Jane Given.
He was a native of Maryland and his wife of Virginia.
In 1797, William Given emigrated to Ross County, Ohio;
was there married, and, in 1829, removed to Round Head Township,
Hardin Co., Ohio, where he resided until his death in 1848, his
widow surviving him until 1851, when she too, passed away.
Of their children, Alexander still survives, and resides
in McDonald Township, in the history of which a biography of him
will be found.
Ford came here from Adams County, Ohio, and settled on the
north bank of the Scioto River, just above Round Head, in 1831 -
32. He married Mrs. Elizabeth Donaldson, of Adams
County. He resided here till his death. He died
Sept. 9, 1865, aged seventy-three years. His wife died
just one year later, Sept. 9. 1866, aged sixty-seven years.
Children - William, Ellis, Harvey,
Milton and Jane.
was born in Ross County; married Elizabeth
Clark, in Pickaway County, and about 1832 - 33 settled at
Round Head, where, it is said, he erected the first cabin after
the town was laid out and platted. He resided here until
his death. His children were as follows: Elizabeth,
William, Henry, Martha and Lewis.
Henry Stamatz, a native of Logan
County, married Ann Logan, and
Page 571 -
settled in Round Head Township, near the Logan County line, in
1832, where he died. He served as the first Coroner of
Hardin County. He died on the place where he first
located. His children were Lafayette, Napoleon
Bonaparte, Duncan, Benjamin A., Mary
and two or three daughters whose names we could not obtain.
John T. Scott came here from
Champaign County, Ohio, and settled on the north bank, on land
adjoining William Irwin on the south. He
married Lucy Henry, of Logan County, Ohio, by whom
he had the following children: John, Eliza,
Benjamin, Jane, Permelia, Nancy and
perhaps a few others.
David Groves, a native of
Virginia, born in Frederick County, in 1798, married Sarah
Sheets, removed to Maryland, thence to Madison County,
Ohio, and, in 1833, came to this township, and settled on the
southwest quarter of Section 7, where he entered 160 acres, also
eighty acres adjoining, in Section 18. Here he resided
about thirty years, when he sold his farm, and finally located
on Section 8, where he died Feb. 26, 1880. He was a member
of the Methodist Church nearly all his life, and a local
preacher in the same for many years. Children—Mary,
Seville, Henry, Sarah, Ann,
Rebecca and Jane; all now deceased except Sarah
Richard Rutledge came from
Logan County and settled on the northeast quarter of Section 19,
in the fall of 1832, and remained a resident here and on the
adjoining section until his death. He died Jan. 12, 1875,
aged seventy six years. He was twice married; first to
Mary Lewis, by whom he had the following children:
Lewis, Benjamin W., Thomas J., Harriet,
and others who died young. His second wife was Mrs.
Sarah Lay, by whom he had one so - Sampson M.
Mr. Rutledge served several years as a Justice of
the Peace; was a devoted member of the Methodist Church, a kind
neighbor and a worthy citizen.
Thomas Livingston came here
from Clark County, Ohio, and settled in Round Head in 1834,
where be erected his cabin and kept the first cabin ever in the
town. He married Nancy Reed. They
resided here until about 1840, when they removed to Ross County;
thence to Indiana, and are new residents of Winchester, in that
State. Of their children, we learn the following names:
Maria, Johnson, Sophronia, Thomas and
Sarah. Mr. Livingston was a licensed
preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Uriah McKennan came here from
Logan County, Ohio, in 1834, and settled on Section 17, where he
died. He was twice married; first to a Miss
Inskeep, by whom he had John M., Margaret A.,
Benjamin W., Levi and Daniel F. His
second wife was Jane Sharp, who bore him Nancy
and Henry; there were some others, but they died young.
Mr. McKennan was a man of character and
ability, and a minister of the Gospel for many years.
Alexander Templeton, a
native of Pennsylvania, but who became an early settler at
Bellefontaine, where he engaged in mercantile trade, and in 1833
removed to Round Head, opened the first store ever in that town.
Here he carried on mercantile business several years, then
turned his attention to agricultural pursuits until his death,
Sept. 10, 1863. He married Mary Ann Wallace, a
native of Virginia. She died Nov. 25, 1857. Their
children were Ann Maria, Samuel, W. Wallace, Robert B., Sarah
Jane, Milton, and David, who died young. Mr.
Templeton sustained a high character, and was much esteemed
and respected. He was a Ruling Elder in the Presbyterian
Three brothers - William, Robert
and Thompson Irwin - natives of
Page 572 -
Champaign County, Ohio, settled in this township in the spring
of 1835. The latter was then quite young, and resided with
his brother, Robert, for a time, and then went away, but
subsequently married and returned and settled here, where he has
since remained a resident. William, with his
father, Thomas Irwin, settled on the banks of the
Scioto, in Section 31. He married Miss Eliza J.
Zimmerman, and has resided, nearly all of his life since, on
Section 31, where he now lives. He is the father of the
following children: Ruth J., Rachel L., Ahasuerus C. and
Robert married and settled just above William, on
the same section, where he has since resided.
Andrew Zimmerman, a native of
Maryland, married Ruth Taylor and emigrated to
Ross County, Ohio, about the year 1800. In the fall of
1835, he removed to this township, and settled on the northwest
quarter of Section 32, where he died, Sept. 14, 1844, aged
seventy years. His wife died, Nov. 24, 1855, aged seventy
years. Their children were John, Andrew,
Jefferson, Obadiah, Elijah D., George,
Elizabeth, Margaret, Delilah, Maria,
Lavinia and Eliza Jane.
Michael Zimmerman, brother of
the above Andrew, married Barbara Taylor, and
settled here, at same date, on the southwest quarter of Section
33, near Round Head, where he died, Mar. 12, 1849, aged
seventy-two years. His wife died, Sept. 21, 1852, aged
seventy-six years. Their children were Henry,
Michael, Samuel, Cynthia, Maria, and
some others who died young. Robert Breece,
of Welsh descent, came here from Logan County, and settled on
Section 32 in the fall of 1835. He married Miss Lydia
Henry, of Logan County. He died, July 19, 1849,
aged fifty-five years. His wife died, Nov. 9, 1866, aged
sixty-three years. Their children were John,
George, William, Griffith, Jane,
Nancy, Margaret, Mary and Amanda.
John F. Henkle, a native of
Virginia, came to Logan County; thence, in March, 1835, came to
Round Head Township, and settled on Section 10, where he resided
several years; thence removed to Round Head, and resided in the
town and vicinity many years; but subsequently be removed to
Kenton, where he died Nov. 11, 1872. He was twice married;
first to Sarah Vanmeter, by whom he had the
following children: Henry B., Ann Maria, Mary E., Seth V.
and Ira A. His second wife was Eliza A. Scott,
who bore him three children— Scott, John F. and
Reuben Henkle, when ten years of
age, came with his father’s family from Bedford County, Va., to
Clark County, Ohio, where he subsequently married Elizabeth
Yazel, and, in February, 1838, removed to this township
and settled on the southeast quarter of Section 20, where he
died, Oct. 23, 1856, aged fifty years. His wife still
survives, and resides on the old homestead place. Their
childern were as follows: Eliza A., Maria, Sarah,
Isaac, Amanda, John M., Cyrus W., Ambrose D., Mary and
William Moore, a native of
Pennsylvania, married Sarah Sample, and, in the spring of 1834,
removed to Ohio, calling upon his sister, Mrs. George
Hoover, in Logan County, where he left his family for a
few weeks, while he came to Round Head Township and entered 160
acres of land - the southeast quarter of Section 5 - and in June
of the same year, he settled with his family upon said land,
where he resided until his death. He died, Feb. 9, 1853,
aged sixty-three years; his wife died, Sept. 3, 1851, aged
sixty-three years. Mr. Moore was a
blacksmith by trade, which business he followed in connection
with farming through life. He was the father of the
following children: John, James, Jane,
Eliza, Asenith, William, Sarah,
Huldah, Mary, Letitia and Urzilla.
Page 573 -
Watson Spencer came here from
Champaign County, Ohio, in 1835. He married Nellie
Rutledge, by whom he had the following children: Mary
Ann, Thomas Jefferson, Elizabeth,
Louisa, Melissa and John. His wife died,
and he subsequently married Nancy Rutledge, by
whom he had several children, of whom were Alexander and
Lorenzo Dow Lay became one of
the early settlers of this township, locating here, it is
certain, as early as 1832-33, but resided here but a few years
until his decease.
George Blalock was a settler it
is believed, as early as 1830-31; was a blacksmith by trade; a
peculiar character, of whom we learned but little.
The above embrace, we
think, the principal early settlers between 1822 and 1835, after
which the township was settled up quite rapidly.
TOWNS AND VILLAGES.
Page 574 -
Episcopal Church of Round Head. - The
exact date of the organization of the first class here is
difficult to fix with certainty. but from certain circumstances
and evidences that are obtainable, it was probably between 1830
and 1832, and consisted of the following persons: Donald
McArthur and wife, John McArthur and wife,
Margaret McArthur, Jonathan Carter and
wife, William Given and wife, James D. Lay,
Rebecca Campbell and perhaps a few others, with
Rebecca Campbell as Class Leader. The class, it is
believed, was organized at the house of Donald
McArthur, and services were held there, and at the house of
Jonathan Carter, for several years. About
1840-42, a house was erected for church purposes, which served
them until about 1852-54, when they erected their present frame
church, in which services have since been held. The
present membership of the church is twenty-seven, with
Jeremiah Kelly as Pastor, and Marion
Herford as Steward; Class Leader, Martin Wilson;
Trustees, Marion Herford, Isaac Gilman,
William Jacobs and Hiram Cooney.
Methodist Episcopal Church. -
This society was organized, it is believed, in the fall of 1832,
at the house of Joseph W. Bowdle, consisting of the
following members: Joseph W. Bowdle, Lucretia Bowdle, James
B. Bowdle, Elizabeth Bowdle, Jesse L. Bowdle, Rebecca Bowdle,
Priscilla Bowdle, James Hill, Sarah Hill, John Hill, Martin
Hill, Nancy Hill, James Hill, Jr., David Groves, Sarah Groves,
Richard Rutledge, Mary Butledge, Harriet Rutledge, and, it
is possible, one or two others, with Joseph W. Bowdle as
Class Leader . Services Were held at Mr. Bowdle’s house,
until the erection of a log house on the same lot occupied by
the present house, which served as a house of worship until it
was burned in 1860. Then, in the same year, they erected
the present frame house, at a cost of about $700, besides
voluntary contributions in labor and material. Some of the early
ministers, who served as pastors of this church, were Revs.
John Stewart, Patrick G. Good, Daniel D. Davidson, Ethan Allen
and Spafford. Early class leaders: Aaron
Oram, Samuel P. Bowdle and Joseph W. Bowdle.
The church now has a membership of about seventy, with
Jeremiah Kelly as Pastor; F. A. Perry, William Lowray and
William B. Bowdle, Class Leaders; William T. Bowdle,
Steward, and F. A. Berry, William Ohler,
William Hiatt and James B. Bowdle, Trustees.
Methodist Episcopal Church - About
1835, this society was organized at the house of James Hill,
by Rev. John Braketield, consisting of the following
members: James Hill, Elizabeth Hill, Samuel Rutledge, Rosanna
Rutledge, James Lay, Viletta Lay, and possibly one or two
others, with James Hill as Class Leader.
They held services at the house of Mr. Hill, until
the erection of a log house for church purposes, in 1848, which
was built on the same lot of the present church. This
house served them until, in 1856, the present frame house was
erected, at a cost of about $800. The church was dedicated
in December of that year, by Rev. Hiram Shaffer.
The following ministers have served this church as pas-
Page 575 -
PAUL R. (K?) SIEG
Page 576 - (BLANK)
Page 577 -
tors: Revs. Brakefield, Wareham, S. L. Yourtee, Arius
Rumfield, John Blanpied, William Godman, Thomas Gard, Hibbard P.
Ward, Jacob Holmes and Samuel Boggs. Class
Leaders: James Hill, John A. Dunlap, William Romack, John
Goslee, Samuel Hill, Alexander Dempster, Jacob Johnson, Samuel
Tidd, Thomas Birchfield, Marion Dunlap and J. R. Hill.
The present membership is about fifty, with Rev. J. S. Kelly
as Pastor; Thomas Birchfield, Marion Dunlap and J. R.
Hill, Class Leaders; Arsamous Ripley and James
Goslee, Stewards, and John Goslee, A. Ripley, Harrison
Walters, A. Dempster and J. R. Hill, Trustees.
Methodist Protestant Church.
- It is difficult now to ascertain the
exact year in which this society was organized, or what minister
officiated in its organization; but from the best and most
definite information we could gather, a class must have been
formed about 1840, embracing the following persons:
John Mahan and wife, Uriah McKennan and wife, and two
or more of John Mahan's children. Services were
held in private houses and in the schoolhouse until about
1858-60, when they erected the present frame church, which has
served them to the present time as a house or worship.
Presbyterian Church of Round Head.
- This society was organized at the
Newburg Church, May 2, 1859, by Rev. Joseph McHatton,
with the following members: A. Templeton, C. I. Brooks, John
Ghormley, Samuel G. Rogers, Samuel Templeton, Robert Irwin, Sr.,
Robert Irwin, Jr., Harriet N. Brooks, Jane Irwin, Ann E. Rogers,
M. N. Rogers, Agnes Cofl'elt, Eliza Hindman, Joseph Junkins,
Martha Junkins, Ira Morton, Sarah J. Templeton, Robert R.
Templeton, Milton Templeton, Minerva J. Ghormley, William Erwin,
Eliza J. Erwin, Andrew Reed, Mary Reed and Eliza Irwin;
with Alexander Templeton, William Irwin and C. I. Brooks
elected Ruling Elders. Services have been held every four
weeks, with considerable regularity, in the Methodist Church at
Round Head, until about one year ago, since which they have been
without a pastor. The following ministers have served the
church: Revs. John L. Bull, William C. Dun, J. L. Buchanan,
the latter eleven years, followed by J. E. Kerr, William
Brooks and Rev. Ferguson. Present membership, about
thirty. Present Elders: William Irwin, Robert Irwin, John J.
Irwin and Russell Hutchison.
- This piece of land
is situated on the extreme southeast corner of the southeast
quarter of Section 20, and was donated for this purpose by
Reuben Henkle. The first occupant of this land was
James Hill, who settled here in 1825, and whose aged mother
died either in 1825 or in 1826, and was the first person
interred in this cemetery. The second person was Phoebe
Lay, since which it has received the remains of many of the
pioneers - John Mahan, Samuel Tidd, William Given and
Round Head Cemetery. -
This was first dedicated to sue by the
reception of the body of Samuel Zimmerman, a son of
Michael Zimmerman, who died Aug. 1, 1836, aged nineteen
years; since which the grounds have been filled with the dead of
the early settlers and others of this vicinity. A few
years since, the Trustees purchased grounds just east of Round
Head, on nice, elevated lands, which they have laid off into
lots and fenced and improved, so that it is now a pleasant
location, and well suited for the purposes intended.
Page 578 -
Pleasant Hill Cemetery
- This consists of
about two-thirds of an acre, which was donated for the purpose
by James Hill, about 1848. The first person buried
here was Margaret Sharp. It has since become nearly
filled. In the spring of 1879, the Trustees purchased two
acres of land of Samuel J. Wirick, a little south of the
church, and on the east side of the pike, fenced and laid it off
into lots, and have made it a nice cemetery. First buried
here was Marietta Hill, a daughter of James R. and
Elizabeth Hill. She died Nov. 11, 1879.