OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
HARDIN COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

HISTORY OF HARDIN COUNTY, OHIO
Containing
A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches,
Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Military
Record; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent
Men; History of the Northwest Territory;
History of Ohio; Miscellaneous
Matters, Etc., Etc.
ILLUSTRATED
Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co.
1883.

Pleasant Twp. -
DANIEL H. WAGNER, farmer, P. O. Kenton, is the second son and fourth child of Samuel and Mary (Hossman) Wagner, born May 21, 1841, in Section 35, Pleasant Township, on the old home entered by his father in 1833, on which his parents still live.  His father is of German descent, born in Bucks County, Penn., Nov. 5, 1800.  At the age of eighteen, he learned milling, and when twenty-five years old went to Hagerstown, Md., to superintend the then largest flouring mills in the country.  In the spring of 1833, he came to Hardin County, and entered a large tract of land in the vicinity of Kenton, giving to his three surviving sons - Levi, Daniel and Phiotas -- as well as his daughters, large farms.  Phiotas remained on the homestead, and married Emma L. Williams and has one child - Orpha May.  Mr. Samuel Wagner, the father of our subject, was married, Dec. 25, 1834, to a daughter of Levi and Mary A. (Wilson) Hossman, and to them were born eleven children, viz., Susan (deceased), Levi, Catharine A., Daniel H., Mary A., Margaret E. (deceased), Samuel T. (deceased) Rachel E., Eunice C. (deceased), Isadore P. and Phiotas V.  Mr. Samuel Wagner is the youngest child of fourteen children of John and Susan Wagner, who were born and buried in Pennsylvania.  He is now nearly eighty-three ye6ars old, is smart and active, performing all the reaping and mowing of the homestead of 163 acres.  Mrs. Wagner's parents, Levi and Mary Hossman, are of English descent; her father a native of Virginia, her mother born in New York City.  They were married in what is now Carroll County, Ohio, and came to Hardin County in the fall of 1838, settling in Pleasant Township, Section 22.  They died in Iowa, and were the parents of four daughters and two sons.  Mrs. Wagner's great-grandfather was from London, and possessed great wealth.  Daniel, the subject of this sketch helped to clear the old homestead, also the farm in Section 27, where he now resides.  On Nov. 5, 1868, he married Rachel, eldest child of W. J. and Sarah Emmons.  She was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, June 28, 1848, and was brought to Goshen Township, this county, by her parents, when but two years of age.  The fruit of this marriage has been four children, viz., a son, who died in infancy; Carroll H., born Mar. 15, 1872; William Dowling, born Jan. 31, 1875; and Nellie E., born Sept. 23, 1878, died July 24, 1879.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 823
Pleasant Twp. -
LEVI WAGNER, farmer, Kenton, was born on the homestead farm of his father, Samuel Wagner, in 1837.  His mother, whose maiden name was Mary A. Hosman, was a native of Richland County, Ohio, his father of Berks County, Penn.  The latter came to Hardin County, from Pennsylvania, and settled on his present farm, which he had entered, taking up a large tract of land.  He is still living, at the advanced age of eighty-three years.  He had a family of eleven children, seven of whom are living.  The subject of this sketch was married, in Hardin County, in 1862, to Miss Grace E., daughter of Alexander Morrison, and a native of Muskingum County, Ohio.  To this union were born six children, all living, viz., Luella B., Harry M., Mattie I., Samuel A., Robert M. and Cecil C.  Mr. Wagner's maternal grandfather was an early pioneer of this County.  Mr. Wagner is a member of the Christ Church.  He numbers among the oldest residents of the county.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 823
Pleasant Twp. -
MOSES B. WALKER, LL. D., Kenton, was born July 16, 1819, in Ohio, and is a son of John and Mary (Davis) Walker, of Scotch-Irish descent.  His ancestry, on the paternal side, is traced to John Walker, a native of England, who migrated to the colonies with Lord Baltimore and settled in Maryland.  The grandfather of our subject, Ignatius Walker was a lineal descendant of John Walker, and was born on the Potomac River in Virginia.  He owned slaves on his plantation in Virginia, and was an intimate friend of Charles Carroll, of Carrollton.  He was an officer during the Revolution, and died on the field of battle at Utah Springs.  The father of our subject was born on the homestead in Virginia and settled in Kentucky, where he located military land.  In 1798, he sought a new home in the Scioto Valley, now embraced in the limits of Pickaway County, Ohio.  His wife was a native of Maryland and an aunt of Henry Winter Davis.  Her father was a soldier in the Revolution, who died of wounds received at Utah Springs.  At an early age, our subject worked on his father's farm.  His rudimentary education was picked up at odd times from school books, and in his seventeenth year he entered the freshman's class of Augusta College, in Kentucky.  Two years after, he returned home on account of poor health.  He subsequently went to Woodward College, in Cincinnati, remained there two years, and then, for three years, attended Yale College, an attack of hemorrhage of the lungs compelling his return home.  Recovering his health, he entered on the study of law in Springfield, Ohio, and the following year in Montgomery County, Ohio, under the preceptorship of Judge Joseph H. Crane, of Dayton, Ohio.  He attended lectures at the Cincinnati Law School, from which he graduated with the class of 1846.  The same year, he practiced his profession with H. V. R. Lords, opening offices at Dayton and Germantown.  At this time, the Mexican war breaking out, he formed a company in and about Germantown, and equipped it at his own expense.  There being a surplus of troops, the largest part could not be mustered in, so were sent home.  He consequently retired to his practice and continued until 1861, practicing under the firm name of Walker, Holt & Walker, one partner being Judge George B. Holt, an eminent lawyer of Dayton, the other his nephew.  In 1850 and 1851, he was a member of the Ohio Senate.  In 1864, and again in 1866, he was nominated to Congress, and was defeated, first by 1,600 and next by 600 votes, in the old Fifth District.  At the breaking-out of the rebellion, Gov. Dennison tendered him command of one of the regiments, and he was commissioned Colonel of the Trinity-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  He accepted a commission offered him in the regular army, on the condition he could go out with the Thirty-first regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  His Ohio regiment became a part of the Cumberland Army, and he participated in all the engagements except at Mission Ridge.  He was severely wounded at Hoover's Gap and at Chickamauga, after which he received a commission as Brigadier General of Volunteers; also the respective ranks of Major and Lieutenant Colonel, by brevet, in the regular army.  After four months spent in the hospitals, he returned to duty, and took part in the Atlanta campaign, after which he joined Thomas at Nashville.  He was mustered out with his regiment and placed upon the retired list with the rank of Colonel, for wounds received at Chickamauga.  At a critical period of the war, he was ordered home to deliver speeches at various points to counteract the influences that served to injure the cause.  All this he did, and also aided in fresh enlistments, and to arouse a general spirit of loyalty.  This service he considers of more value than his conduct on the field.  He was often intrusted with the most dangerous and important duties, and enjoyed the full confidence of Gen. Thomas, with whom he fought through the entire war.  He was also among the brave old Fourteenth Corps.  During the autumn of 1868, he was ordered to Texas for duty.  He was subsequently appointed Judge of the District Courts, and the year after was transferred to the Supreme bench.  His colleagues were Ogden Evans and McAdo, A. J. Hamilton, Morrell Lindsay and Dennison.  He served for six years, when Texas was admitted into the Union and returned to his home.  He was re-appointed Supreme Judge by Gov. Davis, and went back to Texas and served three years under the constitution of 1869.  He returned to the North in the fall of 1875, and settled in Kenton.  For a time he engaged in the practice of law, but his declining health necessitated a retirement.  He was married, Nov. 10, 1842 to Miss Maria, daughter of Tobias Van Skoyck, a descendant of the Knickerbockers, and resident of Germantown, Ohio.  Mrs. Walker died in July 1853, leaving.  The oldest, Mary E., is the wife of John  T. Carlin, of Kenton; John O. resides in Kenton, and Grace M. A. is the wife of P. M. Rutheraff, of Austin, Tex.  On the 1st of May, 1855, our subject married Miss Mary H., daughter of Dr. Willis H. Hitt, of Vincennes, Inc.  The eight children by this union are as follows: Willis S., Harriet R. (wife of Dr. L. B. Tyson, Kenton), Mosella, George W., Bessie F., Frank M., Mary E. and Della.  Mr. Walker met with an accident, in the fall of 1879, at Springfield, Ohio, by falling into an excavation in a sidewalk, and was injured to such an extent that he is obliged to use crutches, and is confined mostly to his home.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 824
Dudley Twp. -
SAMUEL F. WALKER, farmer, P. O. Mount Victor, was born Feb. 18, 1833, in Stark County, and is a son of John Walker.  He was married, Jan. 1, 185_, in Logan County, to Charlotte Stark, born Nov. 17, 1832, in Union County, Ohio, and a daughter of Jonathan Stark.  One child has blessed this union, namely, Florence C., born Jan. 11, 185_** and married to Henry Newbold*, by whom she has had two boys, Sylvester and Owen L.  The subject of our sketch enlisted July 20, 1861, at Bellefontaine, in the Seventeenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company C, First Brigade, Third Division, Fourteenth Corps of the Army of the Cumberland, and was in twenty-two engagements.  He was through Savannah with Gen. Sherman.  In politics, Mr. Walker is a Republican, and is an intelligent farmer and a useful citizen of Dudley Township.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 906
SHARON WICK'S NOTES:
* Spelled Newbolt in the 1880 & 1910 Census, Dudley Twp., Harden Co., OH
** Birth date approx. 1854 in 1880 & 1910 Census
FOR REFERENCE:  Florence C. Walker's middle name may have been Celestia as I found a marriage Record of a Henry Newbold married to Celestia Walker in Hardin County, Ohio on Nov. 29, 1874
Jackson Twp. -
B. W. WALTERMIER, attorney, Forest, was born in Missouri in 1858.  His father lost his life in the war in 1863, and his mother soon after died, leaving three orphan children, who were brought to Wyandot County, Ohio, where our subject received a common school education, which he completed at the Northwestern Ohio Normal, at Ada, Ohio, in 1876.  He then immediately began the study of law under Russell Price, of Forest, in connection with school teaching, until 1880, when he was admitted to the bar, and is now practicing his profession.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 966
Liberty Twp. -
J. W. WALTERS, physician, Ada, was born Oct. 7, 1830, in Fairfield County, Ohio.  He is a son of Lower and Ruth (Sharp) Walters, the former of German descent, a native of Virginia, and and the latter of English descent, a native of Ohio.  Our subject was brought up on his father's farm until he was twenty-two years old, then took up the study of medicine, on which he decided as a profession.  For three years he studied in Hancock County with Dr. Ellis, and then was with Dr. Drake in Arlington.  In 1857, he practiced in Ada, where he remained till 1863, when he proceeded to Ann Arbor and studied in the State University, where he grappled with the complex subject of medicine and surgery; his ambition was to excel.  On his return to Ada, Dr. Walters practiced for eight years, and then proceeded to Cincinnati and resumed his studies, determined to be thorough in them.  He finally graduated in 1871, both in medicine and surgery, and his practice since has been very successful.  His wide experience secures to him an extensive practice, to which he attends with a faithfulness and promptness seldom equaled.  The Doctor has formed two marriages in his lifetime.  The first was in 1861, with Mary A. Gilbert, by whom he had two children (both deceased); the second in 1867, with Mary E. Thompson, who bore him two children Hester V. and Emma M.  Mrs. Walters is a member of the Presbyterian Church.  The Doctor owns a valuable farm of 160 acres, besides other real estate.  He is a Democrat in politics, and a Knight Templar.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 1031
Cessna Twp. -
ASA WARD, P. O. Kenton, Hardin County, Ohio, was born in Madison Township, Perry County, Ohio, Oct. 25, 1815.  He was married in 1845 to Louisa Gipe, third daughter of Henry and Margaret Gipe, who emigrated to Ohio from Pennsylvania in 1840.  Has been a resident of Hardin County, Ohio, since 1865.  He has six children as follows:  John H., married to Mariah Shadly, deceased, and subsequently to Samantha Grubb; Lucy Margaret, wife of John Daniels, of Hardin County; Mary Minerva, deceased, wife of Gilman Houseworth; Sarah Ann, wife of Alexander Daniels, a resident of Cessna Township; Barbary Elizabeth, wife of Elisha Atha of Allen County, Ohio; and David Edwin at home.  Mr. Ward is a fine type of the pioneer  farmer; honest, intelligent and hospitable.  He is very much respected by all that have his acquaintance, and has filled various positions of honor and trust.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 929
Dudley Twp. -
JOHN WARD, farmer, P. O. Mount Victory, was born Oct. 11, 1849, in Richland County, this State, and is the son of Francis and Charlotte (Holmes) Ward.  His mother was a native of this State, her parents of Virginia.  His father was born in England in 815, and emigrated to Ohio at the age of seven years.  The subject of this sketch was educated at the schools of Richland County and Kenton, Hardin County.  He has been a resident of this county for twenty-eight years.  By occupation, is a farmer, owns fifty-five acres of land in Dudley Township, and is a representative citizen of his township.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 906
McDonald Twp. -
JOSEPH WARD, farmer, P. O. Round Head, was born in Clark County, Ohio, Apr. 17, 1839.  His parents, Debigia and Nancy Ward, were natives of Champaign County, Ohio, whence they emigrated and located in Clark County, where they remained until their decease.  Mr. Ward died in 1842 and Mrs. Ward subsequently married William Roberts, who has since died.  Mrs. Ward is now living in Champaign County, Ohio.  Our subject acquired a common school education, and has pursued the occupation of a farmer; he owns sixty-two and a half acres of improved land.  On Oct. 28, 1865, he was united in marriage to Harriet Elizabeth Ford.  She was born in Perry County, Ohio, Mar. 18, 1843, and is a daughter of Jacob and Nancy Ford.  The latter died in April, 1849.  Her father is still living and is a residentof Hardin County.  Mr. and Mrs. Ward have been blessed with seven children, as follows:  Jacob C., William J., Rachel D., Mary M., John B., Fannie B. and Robert N.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 986
Cessna Twp. -
JACOB WARMBROD, farmer, P. O. Kenton, is a native of Switzerland, born May 19, 1836, and is a son of John and Barbara Warmbrod.  He came with his parents to the United States in 1852 and settled in Hardin County, Ohio, in the same year.  On Oct. 2, 1863, he was married to Anna Mary Wagoner, a native of Switzerland, whence she emigrated with her parents when about two years of age.  The three children born to them are Lee, born in 1866; Mary and LauraMrs. Warmbrod departed this life in 1874, and in1876 Mr. Warmbrod remarried, taking for his second wife, Katy Fry, a native of Hardin County, Ohio.  This union resulted in three children - Effie, Robert Ingersoll and NeddyMr. Warmbrod is an intelligent, energetic farmer, but takes no part either in political or church affairs.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 929
Jackson Twp. -
DAVID H. WARNER, retired, P. O. Forest, is a grandson of a Revolutionary soldier who fought under Gen. Washington, and a son of Richard Warner, farmer, who was born in Connecticut about the close of the war above mentioned.  He remained in his native State until after his marriage with Mary Hickox, when, in August of 1802, he, with his wife and seven children, settled in Cortland County, N. Y., but subsequently in the town of Ritcher, near which he died about 1860.  His children were Obadiah (deceased), Sheldon, Adna (deceased), Minerva (deceased), Edward (now living in Forest, Ohio), Maria, David H., Curtis (deceased), Rachel (deceased), Electa (deceased), Florilla, Loucena, ElminaRichard P. and Calvin (latter deceased).  Of the entire family, Edward and David are the only two living in Hardin County, where they settled in 183637.  David H. was born in Connecticut Feb. 2, 1802, but matured in New York State, where he married Almira Robbins, of that State, but in 1837 he moved with his wife and four children to Hardin County, where he settled on eighty acres of land, which he soon converted into productive soil, and subsequently became the owner of 105 acres.  His property is now all in a town.  He has been a leader in religion in the community, as will be seen in the history of the Presbyterian Church.  On July 10, 1853, he buried his wife, who was the mother of six children, viz.: Elizabeth B., Adeline, Mary, David S., Richard and Eliza.  His second wife was Mary, widow of Samuel Shields, and daughter of Daniel Clayton.  She was born in Washington County, Md., in 1819, and is now the mother of six children, three by each husband, viz.: Joseph, Rebecca and Nancy Shields, and Florilla, John H. and Lucy WarnerMrs. Warner is an adherent of the Methodist Church.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 966
Jackson Twp. -
JOHN WEIR, farmer, P. O. Forest, is a son of Robert Weir, who was born in Ireland in 1805, and died in the late American war, in 1862, near Falmouth, Ky., from fever contracted while in the service.  He was a member of the One Hundred and Eighteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, from Hancock County, Ohio.  His wife was Eliza Hamilton, of Irish birth, and who died in the last-named county in April, 1868.  They had eight children. our subject being the fourth, born in Coshocton County, Ohio. Feb. 28, 1844, and since 1857 has been a resident of Hardin County.  He began life with no means, except a capital of energy and industry, which has secured for him a neat home of forty acres, in Section 2.  In 1882, he was elected Trustee, showing the esteem in which he is held by his fellow-men.  His wife was Miss Miriam Case, of Wyandot County, Ohio.  The issue of this union is four children.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 966
Pleasant Twp. -
L. H. WELLS, Sheriff, Kenton, was born in Hocking County, Ohio, Mar. 7 1844.  He is the oldest living son of John and Rachal (McGillis) Wells, the former a native of the District of Columbia, the latter of Hocking County, Ohio.  He is of Irish descent.  His maternal grandfather, Thomas McGillis, a native of Ireland, was a soldier in the Revolution and in the war  of 1812.  He was a pioneer of Ohio, and was among the earliest settlers of Perry County, where he died at the age of eighty-six years.  John Wells, the paternal grandfather of our subject, was a native of Ireland, an architect by profession, and a pioneer of Perry County.  He erected the St. Joseph's Church at Somerset, in that county, and died in Lexington, Ky.  The parents of our subject were married near Wolf's Station, Perry County, and settled in Hocking County, whence they moved, in 1875, and are now residing in Ada, Hardin County.  They have reared a family of four children, two living - James H. and our subject.  John Welch served there months in the Twenty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry; re-enlisted in the First Ohio Cavalry in August, 1861, serving until after the close of the war; remaining to do active service in Texas, and was discharged in the fall of 1865.  He was color bearer for two years, and then Commissary Sergeant, and participated in all the cavalry battles of the Cumberland.  He was wounded in the left leg at La Vergne, Tenn., and was confined two months.  The subject of this sketch followed farming until the breaking-out of the war, when he enlisted, in August, 1861, and was mustered, in October of the same year, in Company F, First Ohio Volunteer Cavalry.  He fought in the battles of Shiloh, Corinth, Perryville, Stone River, Chickamauga, and in the Atlanta Campaign, in the taking of Jonesboro and Mission Ridge.  From Jonesboro, the regiment returned to Louisville, were remounted, and joined Gen. Thomas at Nashville.  Our subject was mustered out at Columbus, Tenn., Oct. 26, 1864, and returned home in the spring of 1865.  He was married, in Perry County, Ohio, Mar. 16, 1865, to Miss Eliza McGinnis, a native of Perry County.  After marriage, he engaged in farming and stock-dealing.  In 1868, he came to Hardin County, locating on a farm near Ada, in Liberty Township.  He remained there until his election to the office of Sheriff in 1881, in which position he has given unqualified satisfaction to the people.  Mr. and Mrs. Wells have had three children, all living, viz., William, Maggie T. and James H.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 827
Cessna Twp. -
JOHN ROBINSON WETHERILL, farmer, P. O. Kenton, was born in England Mar. 19, 1809.  His parents were William Peter and Ann (Fountain) Wetherill.  In 1821, our subject emigrated from England, landing in New York, and the following years came to Ohio and located in Richland County, remaining there until 1839, when he settled in Hardin County, remaining there until 1839, when he settled in Hardin County.  In 1834, he was married to Betsey Gloyd, of Richland County, Ohio, by whom he had thirteen children, viz., Rebecca F., wife of Henry Groves, both deceased; William P., married to Martha Irwin, and residing in Allen County, Ohio; Adelaide, wife of J. L. B. Leatherman, and a resident of Allen County, Ohio; Amanda, wife of William Conner; Alexander, married Lydia Ellen Heath, of Allen County; James G., married to Cordelia Donelson and living in Hardin County; Thomas F., married to Cordelia A. Rombeau, and a resident of Paulding County, Ohio; Eulalia, at home; Harriet Ann, wife of John C. Durbin, of Hardin County; Sarah, wife of Milton Belford, of Allen County; John Franklin, married to Sally White, in Allen County; and Alice, wife of Granville Latimer of Hardin County.  Mrs. Wetherill died in 1865, and Mr. Wetherill subsequently married Phoeba Ziegler daughter of John Tankard, of England.  Four of Mr. Wetherill's sons served during the rebellion, James G., in the Fortieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry; Alexander and Thomas, in the One Hundred and Eighteenth Regiment; and William P., in the One Hundred and Eightieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  Mr. Wetherill and his first wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and his present wife of the Disciple Church.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 929
Jackson Twp. -
R. C. WILEY, harness-maker, Forest, was born in York County, Penn., in 1839, but at a tender age was left an orphan.  In 1852, he', with his grandfather, James Criswell, came to Hardin County, Ohio, settling near Round Head; there the old gentleman followed farming, and instructed our subject in agricultural pursuits.  While thus engaged, Mr. Wiley enjoyed the meager advantages of the common schools until seventeen years of age, when he commenced learning the harness trade at Bellefontaine.  In 1860, there being no harness-maker in Forest, he looked upon the location as possibly a good one, and opened out in business, but the following year the cry of war called for troops, and accordingly, on Nov. 16, 1861, he enlisted in Company C, Eighty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, serving until Dec. 31, 1864.  While in the service, he participated in the battles of McDonald, Cedar Mountain, Bull Run, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Lookout Mountain and Cassville, enduring many hard ships.  In the spring of 1865, he resumed his trade and made it a specialty until 1880, when he added a stock of hardware.  His wife is Olive Ditzler, of Logan County, and they are the parents of five children, all living.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 967
Pleasant Twp. -
CURTIS WILKIN, real estate dealer, Kenton, was born Apr. 22, 1828, in Harrison County, Ohio.  His father, William Wilkin, was the eldest son of James Wilkin, a native of County Antrim, Ireland.  His mother Mary Holmes, was the daughter of Jacob Holmes, who, with several brothers, was among the early settlers in Harrison to Highland County in the  year 1829, and resided there until the year 1846, when he came to Hardin County and settled in what was then Taylor Creek (now Lynn) Township, on the farm now owned by Henry N. Bradley.  His was the first house in that part of the county between the Round Head road and the Scioto River.  Here the subject of this sketch grew to manhood and in October 1852, was married to Sarah H. Maloy, who died May 3, 1864.  In April, 1865, he was again married, to Mrs. Fietta Wilkin, widow of his cousin William F. Wilkin.  In November of the same year, he moved to Kenton, where he has since resided.  At the time of the settlement of his father's family in Taylor Creek Township, that part of the county was a dense forest, and the hardships and privations, though not so great as in former years, were sufficient to give a fair lesson of the inconveniences attending the first settlement of a new county.  Mr. Wilkin's early years were spent on a farm and teaching school.  He filled the office of County Treasurer from 1874 to 1878, and is at present (1883) engaged in real estate business.  He now resides in the western suburb of Kenton, on the Lima pike, about half a mile west of the court house
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 828
Cessna Twp. -
JOHN WILSON, farmer, P. O. Kenton, was born July 29, 1844, and is of Irish parentage, a son of James and Ann (Sutton) Wilson.  He came to Ohio in 1863, and, in the spring of 1869, settled on his present farm of fifty acres, which he has since been occupied in cultivating.  On May 22, 1861, he enlisted in the New York Second Scott Life Guards, and served to June of 1863.  He took part in the following engagements; Bull Run, Yorktown, Williamsburg, seven days before Richmond, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, second Bull Run, Chantilla, and at the last named battle he was slightly wounded.  The regiment had started out full and returned 138 men, and his company with only eighteen.  He was awarded a silver medal for meritorious conduct.  On Mar. 17, 1870, he was united in marriage to Eliza Jane Bateson, a native of Fairfield County, Ohio, by whom he had four children.  He and his wife are members of the Disciple Church.  Mr. Wilson is an F. & A. M. in good standing in Lodge No. 154, in Chapter No. 119, and in Council No. 65, of Kenton.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 930
Cessna Twp. -
OWEN PERRY WILSON, farmer, P. O. Ada, was born in Marion Township, Hardin County, Ohio, May 3, 1853.  He is a son of H. H. and Mary J. (Cooney) Wilson, of Logan and Champaign Counties, Ohio, respectively.  Our subject was reared on a farm, educated at the common schools and completed the scientific course of the Northwestern Ohio Normal School, June 11, 1875, the course including instruction at Mount Union College, the years 1874 and 1875.  Since then he has been teaching; was for five terms in the common schools of the county and one year in the Normal School at Ada.  He was united in marriage, Oct. 2, 1877, to Mary Lindsey, born May 6, 1857, a daughter of James H. and Elon Lindsey, of Wyandot County, Ohio.  They have one child, a son, who was born Mar. 29, 1880, died Apr. 7, 1880.  Mr. Wilson and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he is a Class Leader and where he has also served as Superintendent and teacher in the Sabbath school.  He and his wife visited the centennial of 1876, their trip including Washington City and New York, returning via the Hudson River and Niagara Falls.  Their wedding tour in 1877 included Niagara with other Eastern points of interest.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 930
Jackson Twp. -
ROBERT S. WILSON, retired farmer, Mayor of Forest, and the oldest pioneer living in Jackson Township, this county, was born in Medina County, Ohio, Nov. 25, 1820, and came to Hardin County June 10, 1833, settling, Nov. 8, 1842, on a farm on the banks of the Blanchard River.  On this farm he remained until Apr. 6, 1870, when he moved to his present residence in Forest.  When Mr. Wilson came to this county, it was a vast wilderness, and he has lived to see it well cleared up and improved, studded with elegant dwellings and fine. commodious barns, and interlaced with excellent macadamized roads, making it a county that its people and the whole State may justly feel proud of.  Since taking up his residence in Forest, Mr. Wilson has filled the office Councilman one term, and is at present acting as Mayor for the third term.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 967
Pleasant Twp. -
JOHN WINEBRINNER, deceased, was born in Germany Apr. 7, 1817.  In 1849, he was united in marriage with Louisa, daughter of George and Katie (Kaufman) Hummel, by which union there were four children, viz.,  Milton, the oldest born in Germany, Mary 18,1 846, died in Pleasant Township December, 1868; Martin, born in New York Feb. 27, 1852; George M., born in Hardin County, Ohio, July 21, 1852, and Nicholas B. born May 23, 1855.  Mr. Winebrinner came with his wife and one child to America in 1849, and remained for a time in Port Jarvis, N. Y., moving to Hardin County, Ohio, in 1851.  He purchased forty acres of woodland in Section 13, Pleasant Township, which land he cleared and subsequently sold, buying eighty acres of woodland of the present home, located in Section 1, same township, and afterward 234 acres across the road in Goshen Township.  He died on the home where the widow now lives, Oct. 26, 1873, aged fifty three years.  He commenced life in this country without capital and among total strangers, and accumulated his home and lands after a life of hardship and toil, practicing the greatest economy.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 833
Blanchard Twp. -
J. J. WOOD, Mayor and Justice of the Peace, Dunkirk was born Jan. 29, 1838, in Muskingum County, Ohio.  His father, Samuel Wood, was born on the 27th of December, 1801, in Virginia; emigrated to Ohio in 1816, and married in 1824, at which time he settled six miles west of Zanesville, Ohio.  He removed to Hardin County, Ohio, four miles northwest of Ada, Ohio, in September, 1851  He served as County Commissioner twelve years, and died in 1873.  The mother of our subject was born in New York in 1808, died in 1864.  The subject of this sketch, a member of a family of ten children, four sons and six daughters, was reared on a farm until thirty years of age.  On the 3d day of March, 1859, he was married to Martha J., daughter of Hamilton and Abigail (Turner) Shaw, born on the 5th of May, 1839, in Columbiana County, Ohio.  Her parents were both natives of Columbiana County, and of German descent.  From this union there have been four children, three living - J. H., born Mar.  9, 1861, a book-keeper and cashier for Mahon Brothers, of Dunkirk, and married to Grace, daughter of Dr. Kahler, of Dunkirk, Minnie, deceased; Louella, born Nov. 26, 1862, wife of Prof. J. J. Kelly, of Ada; and Lilly MayMr. Wood enlisted Dec. 10, 1863, in the Thirty-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company D, under Capt. Furney, and was discharged Dec. 23, 1864, at the Tripler Hospital, Columbus, Ohio.  He was in the battle of Cloyd Mountain and Newbern Bridge, besides many skirmishes; was wounded June 10, 1864, on the Hunter raid, in the left wrist by a minie ball.  After the war, Mr. Wood taught in the schools.  In the spring of 1868, he opened in the grocery business at Ada, remaining there until 1871, when he went to Auburn, a place twenty-three miles north of Fort Wayne, Ind., and engaged in the dry goods business in partnership with E. E. Williams of Ada.  In the spring of 1876, he came to Dunkirk, where he was elected Justice of the Peace, and two years ago Mayor of Dunkirk.  Mr. Wood is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, where he has been and is Recording Steward; a member of the I. O. O. F., No. 624, at Dunkirk, and of the Knights of Honor, No. 1,910; also, at present S. V. C. of Edgar Post, 102, G. A. R.  In politics, he is a Republican, and is a well-known citizen of Dunkirk.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 890
Jackson Twp. -
M. S. WOODARD, farmer, P. O. Patterson, is a son of John Woodard, of Scotch, Irish and German extraction.  He was born in Wyoming County, N. Y., in 1812, and was raised to farm life.  While in his native State, he married Arelia Mann, who was a native of York State, of English extraction, and distantly related to John A. ShermanJohn Woodard and wife settled near Youngstown, Ohio, in 1843, subsequently moving to Knox County, and, in 1847, to Hardin; but now residing in Montcalm County, Mich.  Of their six children, our subject is the eldest, having been born in New York State in 1834, but since 1847, has resided in Hardin County, where he now owns 330 acres of land, half of which is under cultivation.  He started in life with nothing but a capital of energy and perseverance.  In 1864, he entered the service of the United States Army, and served until the close of the war of 1865.  His wife is Elizabeth, daughter of John Gardner, one of the pioneer families of the county, who settled near Kenton in 1833.  Mr. and Mrs. Woodard have several children.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 967
Blanchard Twp. -
H. P. WOODS, farmer, P. O. Dunkirk, was born Nov. 24, 1811, in Columbiana County, Ohio, and is a son of Joseph and Sarah (Peterson) Woods, the former a native of Delaware and of German descent, the latter a native of New Jersey and of English descent.  Our subject was educated in Columbiana County; reared on a farm, but learned the blacksmith trade and followed it for a number of years.  He was married, in Crawford County, Penn., in 1838, to Jane W. Mumford, a native of Crawford County, who died Sept. 2, 1854, leaving a family of six children.  Joshua, the youngest son, soon followed his mother; both died of Asiatic cholera.  The names of those living are Sarah, Kate, Joseph (Government Postmaster) and James, M. D., both of Schuyler, Neb.  Lizzie, eh youngest daughter, is a teacher, now in Washington Territory.  Both of the sons served in the war.  Mr. Woods and family settled in Madison Township, where he is now living in Dunkirk, Hardin County, retained from business.  Mr. Woods married (for the second time) the widow of Dr. Charles M. Rees.  Her name before marriage was Zipporah Maria Lillibridge, her father, Joseph Lillibridge, being a native of Rhode Island, and her mother a native of Maryland.  By her first marriage, Mrs. Woods had three sons - Rowland, a farmer; Joseph L., M.D., Tecumseh, Neb., and Frank, a ticket and freight agent in Forest, Hardin Co., Ohio. The second union resulted in six children - Dora, Belle Florence, Myra Vanlora, Viroqua Lorrain, Charles Mahon (a telegrapher) and Elvira Jane.  Mr. and Mrs. Woods here have long been members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, the former having served in the church many years as a Class Leader, Steward and Trustee.  Mr. Woods' father helped to make the first sloop that ever sailed on the Delaware Bay.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 889
Blanchard Twp. -
JAMES P. WOODS, blacksmith, Dunkirk, was born May 31, 1844, in Stark County, Ohio, and is the son of John and Lydia (Hodge) Woods, the former a native of Columbiana County and of German and Irish descent.  the subject of this sketch is the tenth child and seventh son of a family of twelve children, four of whom are living.  He lost his mother, three sisters, a brother, one neice and one nephew in the year 1854, at Williamstown, Hancock County, where they died of cholera.  He received a common school education in Hancock County, where he learned the trade of blacksmith with David Nowlon.  For the last seven years he has followed his trade in Dunkirk.  On the 9th of February, 1864, he enlisted in the One Hundred and Fifteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company H, was transferred to the One hundred and Eighty-eighth Regiment in June 1865, and was discharged in September, 1865.  He was married at Dunkirk, Oct. 11, 1866, to Sarah P., daughter of Joseph and Sarah P. Coleman) De Haven, the former a native of Morristown, Penn., of French-German and English descent.  Her mother was born in this State and was pf English lineage.  Three children were born to this union, an infant (deceased), Lydia and Louring E.  Mr. Woods is a Republican in politics, and with his wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page
891
Blanchard Twp. -
JOHN WOODS, plasterer and farmer, Dunkirk, was born Aug. 23, 1839, in Beaver County, Penn.  His mother, Ann Woods, was born Nov. 13, 1814, in Columbiana County, Ohio, and was the daughter of Ebenezer and Rebecca (Oliphant) Allmon.  She was the third child and third daughter of a family of twelve, seven yet living.  Jacob Woods, the father of our subject, was born Sept. 13, 1815, in Columbiana County, Ohio, and was the son of Enos and Elizabeth (Hughes) Woods.  He was raised in a family of eight children, four now living, he being the fourth child and third son.  He was married Nov. 3, 1836, and has had a family of eight children, seven married as follows:  Franklin B., married to Elizabeth Reed, the daughter of James M. and Cathem Reed, by which union there have been four children; John, our subject; Lydia A., wife of W. R. Wiles, has two children: Ephraim O.; Margaret K., wife of E. B. Wiles, parents of three children; Matilda J., wife of Edward Funk, to whom she has born two children; Viola V., married to Show Johnson, their family numbering two children; and Zimri B., married to A. Houseman, daughter of John Houseman, with a family of three children.  Jacob Woods has been a resident of Hardin County for thirty years, and owns 143 acres of land in the northwest quarter of Section 5, Blanchard Township.  The subject of this sketch, at the age of one year, was living in Logan County; at eight years of age, in Morrow county, and five years after in Hardin county, where he received a common school education.  He is, by trade, a plasterer, which business he has pursued for sixteen years, following it successfully in Johnson County, Mo.  He is the owner of a house and lot in Dunkirk.  On May 14, 1868, he was married to Miss A. J. Willmoth, born June 17, 1851, in Hardin County, daughter of Lemuel and Mary (Davis) Willmoth, pioneers of Hardin County.  This union has resulted in four children, viz., Claude B. Guy O., Eva M. and Carl E.  Mr. Woods and his brother Franklin were in the late war; the former served three years and nine months, the latter thirty months, when he was taken prisoner at Harper's Ferry and released on parole.  this family hold annual meetings.  On Sept. 7, 1882, they gathered in Schuyler, Colfax Co., Nov., where there were assembled 163 members, fifty-seven being from Dunkirk, Ohio.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 890

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
HARDIN COUNTY
INDEX PAGE

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights