OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
HARDIN COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

HISTORY OF HARDIN COUNTY, OHIO
Containing
A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches,
Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Military
Record; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent
Men; History of the Northwest Territory;
History of Ohio; Miscellaneous
Matters, Etc., Etc.
ILLUSTRATED
Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co.
1883.

  Cessna Twp. -
ELLIS SAMS, farmer, P. O. Kenton, was born in Brown County, Ohio, May 30, 1827.  His mother, Elizabeth Gatts, was a daughter of Martin and Sarah Gatts, of German descent, who came to Brown County, Ohio, at an early day.  Her father owned a mill and three farms near Newhope and was Justice of the Peace in his township for several years.  Our subject's father was Levi Sams, born Sept. 6, 1798, died May 9, 1855; his mother was born Oct. 12, 1800, died Jan. 10, 1870.  They were married Aug. 3, 1825.  Our subject was united in marriage, Apr. 9, 1850, to Delilah Hendriexson, born in Brown County, Ohio, Mar. 19, 1829, and a daughter of George and Alley (Courts) Hendriexson.  Her  father was born Jan. 31, 1803, died Sept. 23, 1854; her mother was born Jan. 31, 1803, died Sept. 23, 1854; her mother was born Jan. 13, 1801, died Sept. 6, 1854; they are buried on the homestead in Scott Township, Brown County, Ohio.  George Hendriexson was a Methodist Episcopal exhorter and class leader, a pattern of Christian piety, and was respected and beloved by all.  He served several years as Justice of the Peace of his township.  Mr. Sims and his wife have had nine children, as follows:  Eliza Jane, born Mar. 9, 1851, married to Wilson Cole Sept. 22, 1870, by whom she has had four children; Sarah Elizabeth, born Apr. 14, 1852, died Feb. 20, 1853; William Levi, born July 25, 1853, married to Emma Bell Draper, Mar. 15, 1876; Emeline, born Jan. 23, 1855, married Mar. 11, 1873, to Samuel Strahm; George Farris, born July 27, 1857, married Oct. 5, 1880, to Mary Martin; Melissa, born May 29, 1859, married Oct. 7, 1880, to David C. Hively; John Alonza, born Mar. 24, 1861; Charles, born Jan. 31, 1863, and Francis Marion, born Dec. 11, 1867.  Mr. Sams and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Mr. Sams is an old-fashioned Jackson Democrat, has served as Justice of the Peace of Cessna Township, and has also filled several minor offices.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 927
  Buck Twp. -
FRANK SCHWARTZ, farmer, P. O. Kenton, was born in Bavaria, Germany, Oct. 20, 1839.  He is a son of Frank A. and Barbara Schwartz.  In 1847, when seven years of age, he emigrated with his parents to America, and the following year settled three and a half miles north of Kenton, Ohio.  Our subject is the eldest of four living children; was reared on the homestead from his seventh year until he reached his majority, and was educated at the common schools.  He learned the alphabet in the log schoolhouse with slab seats and puncheon floors.  He aided his father in clearing up and land, and in 1863 went across the plains to Nevada, where he spent four years in mining and other work.  In 1867, he returned to Hardin County, and on Sept. 22, was married to Margaret Bishop, born in Hesse, Germany, Mar. 31, 1843, a daughter of John G. and Catherine E. Bishop, who came to Hardin County in 1850.  Nine children were born, seven living - Frank A., George H., William F., Gustave O., Carl A., Edward J. and Margaret E.  John L. and an infant are deceased.  In August, 1868, Mr. Schwartz bought 100 acres of land, which he has since cleared, and has got half of it well under cultivation.  In 1877, he erected his residence at the cost of $1,500.  He is engaged in farming and stock-raising, and is generally successful.  Mr. Schwartz is a member of the Roman Catholic Church, and his wife of the Lutheran Church.  He is, politically, a Democrat, and has served one term as Township Trustee.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 1050
  Cessna Twp. -
JOHN SCHWEMMER, farmer, P. O. Kenton, is a native of Germany, born in the year 1820, and is a son of George and Christine (Steve) Schwemmer.  His parents emigrated to America in 1842.  Our subject married, in 1855, Mary Eliza Wedertz, a native of Germany, who came to America when about twenty-years of age.  They have eight children, viz., Mary Eliza, born Jan. 12, 1857, and wife of Michael Bush, of Kenton; Wilhelmina, born Feb. 19, 1859, wife of George Henry, of Kenton; William Oscar, born Jan. 7, 1861; John Noah, born May 13, 1863; Charlie Ellsworth, born Nov. 13, 1866; Andrew J., born Apr. 25, 1870, and Caroline, born Apr. 25, 1872.  Mrs. Schwemmer died Mar. 14, 1874.  At the time of the rebellion, Mr. Schwemmer was drafted in 1864, but hired a substitute.  He belongs to the Lutheran Church.  He owns a fine farm of 105 acres of land, located on Section 11, Cessna Township.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 928
  Buck Twp. -
WILLIAM J. SCOTT, farmer, P. O. Kenton, was born in Franklin County, near Columbus, Ohio, Sept. 18, 1824.  His father, James Scott, was born in Franklin County, Ohio, Sept. 10, 1799.  His mother, whose maiden name was Nancy Walker, was born in Virginia, Oct. 22, 1801.  Mr. James Scott's parents were Joseph and Elizabeth Scott natives of Westmoreland County, Penn., who removed to Franklin County, Ohio, prior to the war of 1812.  Joseph Scott served in the war of 1812.  He settled eleven miles southeast of Columbus, at which time the capital was a mere hamlet.  In 1830, he removed to Hardin County, Ohio, locating on Taylor Creek, Buck Township, and purchased 200 acres of land, a good portion of which he cleared.  He died in Fulton County, Ind., in 1853; his wife had died several years previous in Franklin County.  Our subject's father was reared and educated in Franklin County.  He married Feb. 17, 1819, and had thirteen children - Elizabeth J. (deceased), Elias A., Matilda S., William J., Joseph, Cynthia A., Seymour (deceased), Mary A., Nancy J., Charles E., Mark (deceased), Luke W. and Lucy S. L.   In April of 1836, he settled on Taylor Creek, Hardin County, and in 1847 removed to Jackson Township, where he bought eighty acres of land.  He died Apr. 3, 1850; his widow is still living in Logan County, and has attained her eighty-third year.  The subject of this sketch is the second son and fourth child, and was reared on a farm and educated at the common schools.  His advantages were very limited, as he was obliged to attend school two and a half miles distant.  On Apr. 18, 1849, he was married to Elmira J., daughter of Eleager J. and Mary E. Rose, and born in Union County, Ohio, Oct. 8, 1831.  Of the seven children born, three are living - Mary E., wife of W. H. Brown; George W., and Jennie, at home.  In 1849, Mr. Scott bought fifty acres on the township line, and lived there until 1872, when he came to his present farm.  He owns in all 212 acres of land, and is occupied in farming and stock-raising.  He enlisted during the late war, Aug. 27, 1864, in Company B, One Hundred and Seventy-Sixth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served in the Army of the Cumberland.  He was on patrol duty at Nashville, where he witnessed the battle there.  At the close of the war, he was honorably discharged June 13, 1865, at Columbus.  In politics, he is a Republican, and has served as Township Trustee for two terms, and School Director for twelve years.  He in a member of the Grange, and for two years served as its Treasurer.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 1051
  Marion Twp. -
DANIEL VAN BUREN SHADLEY

Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 955

  Marion Twp. -
JOHN S. SHADLEY

Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 954

  Jackson Twp. -
J. A. SIEFERT, farmer, P. O. Forest, is a son of Jacob and Ann M. (Miller) Siefert, both natives of Hesse-Darmstadt, where they died.  Of their five children, our subject is the third, and was born June 19, 1819, in Hesse-Dermstadt, where he matured, and in September, 1852, married Anna Margaret Shenabarger, who was born in 1831.  Soon after they were married, they came to Pittsburgh, Penn., and in 1854 to Wyandot County, Ohio, and the next year to Hardin County, where he bought his present farm of fifty-five acres.  This was all in the wilderness, but he and his wife have transformed it into a neat and comfortable home.  They have no family, but are raising a foster child.  They belong to the Lutheran Church.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 964

Paul K. (R?) Sieg
Taylor Twp. -
PAUL K. SIEG

Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Pub. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 860

  Blanchard Twp. -
JOHN SIEGLEY, engineer, Dunkirk, was born Nov. 2, 1822, in Germany and is the son of John and Maria Siegley.  His parents emigrated to Hardin County, where the former died at the age of eighty-four years; she had been a cripple for thirty-three years.  The subject of this sketch emigrated from Germany in 1832, settled at first in Pennsylvania, then came to Green Township, Columbiana County, where he resided for twenty years.  He was educated in Columbiana County, where he was married, Apr. 21, 1849, to Lavina, a native of Pennsylvania, daughter of Jacob Zehnar.  Six children were born to them, one living, Jesse, born Mar. 20, 1860.  He was proprietor of a grit mill in Kenton for a year and a half, also of one in Dunkirk.  Mr. Siegley enlisted September, 1861, in the United States Sharpshooters, and was discharged July 5, 1865.  He fought in the battles of Mount Zion, Mo., Fort Donelson, Pittsburg Landing, Corinth, and a number of pitched battles.  He was truck by a spent ball July 22, 1864, and for ninety-six days was on the skirmish.  He served under Gens. Davis, Grant and ShermanMr. Siegley is now retired from business, after being for thirty-three years as an engineer.  He and his wife have been members of the Methodist Episcopal Church for ten years.  The former has been a Trustee in the Methodist Episcopal Church for one year and is a useful citizen of Blanchard Township.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 886

Thomas Sloan
Taylor Twp. -
THOMAS SLOAN

Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Pub. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 861

  Blanchard Twp. -
DR. D. C. SMITH, Dunkirk, Ohio, was born Sept. 14, 1849, in this county, and is the son of Henry and Lydia (McCartney) Smith, who were natives of Richland County, Ohio, and came to this county in 1838.  Our subject was educated in the schools of this county and graduated at the Miami Medical College of Cincinnati in 1874, and has practiced medicine in Dunkirk and Kenton to the present time.  He was married.  Apr. 20, 1875, to Miss Belle Gilmore, daughter of Samuel J. and Eveline Gilmore, of Kenton, Ohio.  She is a grand-daughter of Judge Alexander Thomson, who was the pioneer or first Clerk of the county.  Two children have resulted from this marriage, Henry Gilmore, born Apr. 18, 1876, and Maude E., born Feb. 11, 1878.  The Doctor is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Knights of Honor lodges, and Medical Examiner for the latter.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 886
  Dudley Twp. -
JAMES M. C. SMITH, farmer, P. O. Mount Victory, was born Oct. 15, 1827, in Mairon County, this State.  He is a son of James B. and Jane Smith, the former a native of Maine, the latter of Vermont.  He was married at the age of twenty-one years, to Elizabeth Burris, born in Madison County, Ohio, July 4, 1829.  This union resulted in nine children, five living, viz., Margaret J., Elnora, Hester An, John M., George, Nancy (deceased) Mary, Clara and William.  Three of the girls are married and Mr. Smith has five grandchildren, whose names are Cora, Gertie, Elizabeth, Martin and Floy M.  Mr. Smith has followed farming for an occupation; in a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and in politics is a Republican.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 905
  Pleasant Twp. -
JOHN SMITH, farmer, P. O. Kenton, was born in Hardin County, Ohio, in 1835, and is the eldest son of Robert and Catherine (Houser) Smith.  His mother is a daughter of John Houser, who erected the first saw mill, subsequently known as the Geary Mill, and which is new destroyed.  He came in 1831 to Hardin County, where he was among the early manufacturers, and owned a farm one mile and a half east of Kenton.  Our subject’s parents were pioneers of Union County, Ohio, coming thence to Hardin County in 1831 and locating in Kenton.  Four or five years after, they moved on the farm now occupied by our subject, consisting of 100 acres, which Robert Smith had entered at Bucyrus, Ohio, and for which he had paid $1.25 per acre, and he also purchased 120 acres in Noble County, Ind., in 1860, at present resided on by Thomas Smith.  He died on this farm on Jan. 16, 1862; his widow. who still' survives, is in her sixty seventh year.  They had three children, our subject being the eldest,  Thomas, residing in Noble County, Ind, and Mary A., who died in her fourth year.   The subject of this sketch has always lived on the homestead which he had assisted his father in clearing.  He was married Jan. 1, 1865, to Miss Rannie M., daughter of Reson W. Myers and a  native of Tuscarawas County, Ohio.  This union has resulted in three children, two living, viz., Earl and Flora.  The deceased is WillieMr. Smith has been identified in the prominent offices of the county, and served for twelve years as Clerk and School Director.  He is a member of the Grange. as well as his wife, who is associated with the Church of the Disciples.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 812
  Pleasant Twp. -
JOHN R. SMITH, farmer, P. O. Kenton, was born in Westmoreland County, Penn., in 1807.  His parents, Peter and Catherine (Rhidenower) Smith, are both of German descent, and moved to Ohio in 1813, settling in Guernsey County, where they were the pioneers of the county and State.   Mrs. Smith died in 1855, after rearing a family of twelve children, all living to attain maturity, nine now surviving, of whom our subject is the eldest child.  In 1833, the subject of this sketch went to Franklin County, Ohio, where he was a pioneer; moving thence to Groveport, near Columbus, but subsequently returning to his early home, coming to Hardin County in 1857 or 1858.  In 1830, he was married in Guernsey County to Miss Martha Hannah, a native of that county, to which union five children were born. all living, viz., Mary A., Catherine, Elizabeth, John and AndrewMrs. Smith is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 812
  Jackson Twp. -
JOSIAH SMITH, retired merchant, Forest.  Among the early merchants of Forest, we record the above, with a brief notice of his father, John Smith, who was born, raised and married in Connecticut.  In 1812, he moved with his wife and six children in an ox team to Ohio, settling in Fairfield County.  For three decades they lived and farmed in the last-named county, but in 1842 settled near Mount Blanchard, Hancock County, where he and his wife both died.  The following are the names of their children: Eliza M., Durias, John A., Alma, Josiah, Nelson, Martha E., Hannah and Mary.  Of the entire family, our subject is the only survivor.  He was born in Connecticut in 1809.   In 1840, he went to Hancock County, Ohio, and there, the same year, married Ann Palmer, of Huron County.  She died the following year near Mt. Blanchard.  His second wife was Miss E. V. Lillibridge, who came with him to Forest in 1855, where he opened the second dry goods store in the place.  His five years’ experience as a merchant in Mount Blanchard enabled him, with his business talent and energy, to be very successful.  His mercantile life ended in 1863, since which he has lived retired in a neat and comfortable home in the village of Forest.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 964
  Marion Twp. -
JOSIAH SMITH, blacksmith, Ada was born in Lincolnshire, England, July 26, 1826, and came to America while young.  He was married, May 11, 1852, to Elizabeth Gould, which union has been blessed by four children, three living—Gould, William Arthur and John Henry; Elizabeth Ann is deceased.  Mr. Smith came to Hardin County in 1855, and started a shop in Huntersville, where he has since remained.  He and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  He owns and cultivates a small farm near the town, and is member of the Grange.  In politics, he is Republican; was Postmaster for some fifteen years at Huntersville, until the office there was discontinued, and has also served as School Director for a number of years.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 955
  Buck Twp. -
HON. DAVID SNODGRASS, farmer, P. O. Kenton, was born in Mercer County, Penn., Feb. 23, 1815.  He is a son of Jesse and Jane (Atchison) Snodgrass, natives of County Donegal, Ireland, and Washington County, Penn., respectively.  His father was born Feb. 1, 1784, emigrated to the United States about 1809, and settled in Mercer County, Penn., where he was married in 1812, and the same afternoon was called into the military service, to prevent the British troops from crossing Lake Erie.  He served six months as private and then returned home and engaged in farming.  He lived in Pennsylvania until 1825, when he removed to Muskingum County, Ohio; thence, in 1846, located in Monroe County, Iowa, where he followed farming for about ten years, and in 1856, he sold his farm and went to Albia and engaged in merchandising.  He died Sept. 8, 1876, aged ninety-two years.  He and his wife belonged to the United Presbyterian Church, of which he was an active and prominent member.  Mrs. Snodgrass died in August, 1862, aged seventy years.  Our subject was the second son of a family of eight children, and was brought up on a farm, and received a common school education.  He helped his father in clearing two farms.  HE was married in Harrison County, Ohio, Dec. 20, 1838, to Catharine, daughter of Enoch and Catharine (Anderson) Philips, a native of Washington County, Penn., born Mar. 24, 1817.  They have five children, four living - Jessie, Alfred P.; Park, married to Jennie Bebout, of Washington County, Penn., and M. Maud, wife of B. Moore, of Kenton.  Otis B. died, aged eight years and six months.  In 1845, Mr. Snodgrass came with his family to Kenton, and resided there until 1864, then came to Buck Township on his present farm.  He was engaged in the boot and shoe trade in Kenton until 1861.  He and William Gilmore started the first boot and shoe store in Kenton.  In 1851, he was elected to represent Hardin and Wyandot Counties in the Ohio Legislature, and served one term.  He was solicited to be a candidate for a second term, but positively declined to serve.  In 1870, he was elected member of the Board of County Commissioners, and served on term.  In June of 1861, he enlisted in Company D, Fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry; served as Corporal, and was discharged in February, 1862, to receive a promotion.  In January previous, he was home on thirty days' furlough, and recruited Company H, of the Seventy-fourth Regiment, going out as First Lieutenant, serving as such until the battle of Stone River, when he was promoted to the rank of Captain for "gallant and meritorious service on the field."  He served until Apr. 26, 1864, when he resigned on account of a wound received at Chickamauga.  While in the Fourth Regiment, he fought at Rich Mountain and Romney, and in the Seventy-fourth Regiment he was at Stone River, and then Chickamauga, where he received his wound by an artillery wheel running over his right foot.  On his return home, he up the occupation of a farmer.  He owns 168 acres of land, most of which has been cleared and improved.  He and wife are members of the United Presbyterian Church.  He is, politically, a Republican, and while serving as County Commissioner was one of the principal instigators of the pike enterprise, carrying the first pike petition that was circulated in Hardin County, and where they County Infirmary was built built.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 1051
  Jackson Twp. -
DR. A. F. STANLEY (deceased) was a son of William Stanley, who lived in Hardin County, Ohio, from 1849 till 1854, in which latter year he and his wife settled near Wheeling, W. Va. The Doctor was born in Trumbllu* County, Ohio, Oct. 25, 1815, and died in Patterson, Hardin County, Feb. 5, 1873.  He was raised and educated in his native county, and took up the study of medicine, graduating in 1846, but in the following year properly commencing practice in Patterson, where he soon became known as a skillful physician, and one possessed of extraordinary good social qualities, and as a kind, obliging neighbor.  His assistance was never lacking in the church of his choice (Methodist), while at the same time he was a zealous member of the Masonic Lodge.  He was successful in life, and left at his death a neat competency for his family.  The Doctor was married, Mar. 15, 1842, to Angeline, daughter of John and Elizabeth Sapp, of Knox County, Ohio, where she was born in 1822.  They had seven children, of whom five are living—William E., John B., Harriet J., Carrie L. and A. F.  The sons are in Kansas and two daughters in Ohio.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 964
NOTE:  Should be Trumbull Co., Ohio
  Jackson Twp. -
DR. J. A. STANSELL, physician, P. O. Forest, is a son of George and grandson of William Stansell.  The latter was of Holland parentage, but born in the State of New York, where he and his wife both died in Lockville.  His personal observations of the Revolutionary war were limited, although two brothers were killed in that war.  He was by occupation in early life a farmer and millwright, and owned 160 acres of land.  When the Erie Canal was under construction, be contracted and graded three miles of it through his own farm, and also built three locks, laying out and naming the town of Lockport, N. Y.  After its completion, George, his son, opened the locks and connected the first waters of Lake Erie and the Hudson River.  Of his thirteen children, George, the father of Dr. J. A., was born in Wayne, now Ontario County, N. Y., Jan. 12, 1801, and died in Wyandot County, Ohio, Sept. 10, 1854.  He was married in his native land, but, in 1835, they emigrated to Ohio and settled in Richland Township in the county in which he died.  His early life was devoted to work on the Erie Canal, but, after coming to Ohio, he was a pioneer woodsman and farmer of Wyandot County.  His wife was Zada P. Bristoll, of Connecticut, where she was born and raised.  She was born Dec. 4, 1809, and died Nov. 20, 1868.  She was a daughter of David Bristoll, England, and whose wife was Sarah PrindellDr. Stansell, our subject, is one of a family of nine children, and the second eldest of the five survivors.  He was born in Lockville, Ontario County, N. Y., in 1831, but since four years of age has been a resident of Ohio.  He received his primary education in the common schools of Wyandot County, Ohio.  At the age of seventeen, he commenced the study of medicine. although he was now four years under age.  Subsequently he entered the Ohio Wesleyan University, where nearly three years’ hard study was engaged in.  In 1856-57, he attended the Miami Medical College of Cincinnati, and, soon after, located at Patterson, in partnership with his preceptor, Dr. Stanley, and commenced his practice.  In March, 1865, he graduated from the Starling Medical College of Columbus, Ohio, and the following autumn located at Forest, where he enjoyed a liberal patronage.  He was married, Sept. 28, 1854, to Eveline O., daughter of John Adams, of Delaware County, Ohio, where she was born in 1833.  By this union, there are four children, viz.: Lilly J., wife of Capt. John Campbell; Iva J., now Mrs. Allen T. West; Nellie J. and J. Franklin.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 965
  Buck Twp. -
BENEDICT STEINER, farmer, P. O. Kenton, was born in the Canton of Berne, Switzerland, Mar. 6, 1828.  His father, John Steiner, was born in June, 1794; his mother, Anna Hani, in 1792, died in 1832; both were natives of the Canton of Berne Switzerland.  They were married in their native place in the year 1818.  On the decease of his wife, Anna, Mr. Steiner married Anna Dick, and, in 1837, left Berne and crossed France to Havre in wagons, the journey occupying twenty-one days.  He then embarked with his wife on the ship Albany, crossed the ocean, and landed at New York, Oct. 31.  They went to Pittsburgh, where they remained till spring, then came to Hardin County and settled in Pleasant Township, where Mr. Steiner purchased and cleared eighty acres of land.  He died in 1860; he had seven children by his first wife, and seven by the second.  Our subject is the fifth child by the first marriage, and was brought up on a farm, obtaining a very limited education at the common schools.  In the spring of 1850, in company with six others, he went to the gold mines of California.  He followed mining, packing and farming in the Trinity Mountains until 1861, where he returned to his home; he made a trip to Switzerland in 1863, on account of ill health, and returned the same year.  The next year he bought 158 acres of his present farm, and added to it until he has acquired 238 acres.  In 1878, he built his barn, at  cost of $2,500, and in 1881 his residence, at a cost of $5,000.  He was united in marriage Aug. 24, 1865, to Mary A., daughter of Benedict Moy, and born in the Canton of Berne, Switzerland, Dec. 17, 1833.  To this union four children have been born, two living - Carl H. and Olga M.  Laura M. and an infant son are deceased.  Mr. Steiner is occupied in farming and stock-raising.  In politics, he belongs to the Republican party.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 1052
  Cessna Twp. -
GEORGE JOHN STEINER, farmer, P. O. Kenton, was born June 1, 1830, in Germany, whence he emigrated in 1844, first locating in Holmes County, Ohio.  In 1858, he moved to Hardin County, Ohio, where he owns a farm of eighty acres in a fine state of cultivation and with good farm buildings.  He was married, Oct. 4, 1860, to Julia Ann, widow of Robert Skates, and a daughter of August and Christena GuiderMrs. Steiner was born in Columbus, Nov. 9, 1835.  Her father moved to Hardin County when she was six years old.  Mrs. Steiner by her first husband had four children, all of whom died in infancy except one - Mary V. Skates, who is married to James W. Cessna, in Hardin County, but moved to Kansas in 1881.  Mr. and Mrs. Steiner have been blessed with five children, viz., Henry William, born Nov. 9, 1861, at home; an infant, deceased at the age of ten days; John Daniel, born Aug. 26, 1865, at home; Emma Lavinia died at the age of five years and ten months; and are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Mr. Steiner is a farmer and has a comfortable home with pleasant surroundings.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 928
  Cessna Twp. -
MICHAEL STEINER, farmer, P. O. Kenton, is a native of Germany, born in 1828, and is a son of George and Margaret Steiner.  He emigrated with his parents from his native country in 1846, and was fifty-two days on the voyage.  He located in Holmes County, Ohio, and subsequently, in 1858, in Hardin County, where he has since remained.  His education was obtained from the common schools of Germany, and by occupation he is a farmer.  In 1859, the year following his arrival in Hardin County, Mr. Steiner was united in marriage to Elizabeth Metzger, born in1831 in Columbiana County, Ohio, a daughter of John and Elizabeth Metzger, of German descent.  Eight children have resulted from this union, viz., John M., William F., Mary Eliza, Lucinda Emeline, Joseph Elmore, Aaron and Amos (twins), and Charles F.  Mr. Steiner and his wife are members of the Lutheran Church.  Mrs. Steiner's brother Enoch Metzger, was killed by a thrasher in Hancock County, Ohio.  Her father's and mother's death's were just one week apart; the former was aged seventy-five and the latter seventy-four years.  George Steiner, the father of our subject, was born in 1796, is still living and resides in Hardin County.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 928
  Blanchard Twp. -
ADAM STEINMAN, farmer, P. O. Patterson, is a native of Germany, born July 9, 1839, and is a son of Adam Steinman.  He learned the trade of blacksmith and wagon-maker in Germany, whence he emigrated, and for a few months was working in Galion, Ohio, then ten or eleven months in New Washington, from August, 1862, to April, 1863, in Crestline, and for seven years in Fort Wayne, Ind.  In April, 1870, he moved to Monroeville, Ind., where he lived until 1879, spending the last two years in farming, and finally came to Hardin County, where he is now occupied in farming, and owns ninety-one acres of land in Blanchard Township.  He was married Sept. 13, 1862, while in Crestline, to Mary Houks, a native of Ohio, born in 1842.  Four children have been born to them, viz., Rosa (deceased), Charles, Edward and EarnestMrs. Steinman is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 886
  Buck Twp. -
C. A. STEVENSON, farmer, P. O. Kenton, was born in Orleans County, N. Y., Jan. 5, 1853; he came with his parents, Silas and Ruby Stevenson, to Hardin County in October, 1853, and lived on the homestead until of age; he is the second son of a family of nine children, and received his education from the common schools.  On Mar. 9, 1875, he was married to Miss Annie, a daughter of Clark L. and Sarah (Finity) Newcomb, and a native of Knox County, Ohio, born Nov. 28, 1852. She obtained a common school education, and for four years was a teacher in Buck Township.  She removed with her parents to Hardin County in 1853.  Mr. Stevenson is employed in farming and stock-raising, and is a member of the Agricultural Society of Hardin County.  In politics, he belongs to the Republican party, but has never held office.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 1053
  Buck Twp. -
SILAS STEVENSON, farmer, P. O. Kenton, is a son of James and Unity (New) Stevenson, and was born in Champaign County, Ohio, Oct. 23, 1822.  In 1827, his parents settled on the line between Logan and Hardin Counties.  In 1834, they removed to Taylor Creek Township, Hardin County, where he bought a farm and resided until their deaths.  Mrs. Unity Stevenson died Mar. 10, 1864.  Mr. Stevenson died June 6, 1865.  The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm.  On May 24, 1849, he was united in marriage to Ruby, a daughter of John H. and Selina Tyler.  She was born in Orleans County, N. Y., Oct. 27, 1727.  Mr. Stevenson married and lived there four years, and in 1858 removed to his present farm in Buck Township, Ohio.  He has acquired good property, and is engaged in farming and stock-raising.  He and his wife have been faithful workers in the Methodist Church for thirty-nine years.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 1053
  Taylor Twp. -
SAMUEL STEWART, farmer, stock—raiser and dealer, P. O. Big Spring, Logan Co., Ohio, was born in Clark County, Ohio, Mar. 20, 1823.  He was son of John T. and Ann (Elder) Stewart.  In 1735, the grand parents of John T. StewartSamuel T. Stewart and wife - came to the American Colonies, and with them came the father of John T., viz., Samuel Stewart, a native of Belfast, Ireland, the family settling in Pennsylvania.  John T. Stewart, our subject’s father, was born in Dauphin County, Penn, Mar. 3, 1781, and there grew to maturity, his father dying in that county Sept. 19, 1803.  In the autumn of 1806, he, with his brother Samuel, came to Ohio and purchased 500 acres of land in what was then part of Greene County, but now lies in Green Township, Clark Co., Ohio.  About 1815, they divided the land, John T. receiving the southern portion in the division then made.  He was united in marriage, near his home, Mar. 2, 1815, with Miss Ann Elder, third daughter of Robert and Ann Elder.  She was born in Pennsylvania, May 19, 1798.  John T. departed this life in Clark County Apr. 16, 1850; his widow survived him thirty years, dying Sept. 24, 1880.  Samuel, our subject, was reared on a farm until twenty-six years of age, at which time he went to Greene County, Ohio, where he was engaged in merchandising, and was also railroad agent.  He was united in marriage, Dec. 12, 1848, with Mary A. Marshall.  She was born in Clark County, Ohio, June 19, 1825, and was a ddaughter of William Marshall.  To this union have been born seven children (of whom six survive), viz., Marshall, Ella M., Anna (deceased), Chase, Mary, Elizabeth and Katie.  Our subject filled the office of County Commissioner of Hardin County, Ohio, for three years, being elected in 1870, and it was during his term of office that the gravel and stone pikes throughout the county were first built.  Mr. Stewart’s farm is situated in Taylor Creek Township, and is one among the largest and best improved in the county.  He has given his attention to the raising of stock of different kinds, but makes specialty of sheep, being one of the largest wool-growers in the county.  Mr. Stewart is one among the first settlers of Taylor Creek Township. and it is to the energy and enterprise of just such inen as he that Hardin County owes its vast and rapid improvement.  He and his family are loved and respected by all who know them.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 863
  Lynn Twp. -
WILLIAM STEWART (deceased) was born in Ohio County, W. Va., Jan. 15, 1807. His parents, William and Martha (McDaniel) Stewart, were natives of Berkeley County, Old Virginia, and they died in West Virginia.  Our subject was the second son, and was reared in his native place.  In February, 1838, he removed to Muskingum County, Ohio, locating a farm of fifty acres near Dresden.  On Oct. 4, 1850, he sold out and came to Hardin County, and settled on his present farm, which then consisted of 100 acres, forty of which were cleared.  In the June previous, he had bought 150 acres adjoining, thirty of which were cleared, paying $750 for the land.  He paid $1,100 for his present farm, to which he added 113 acres, all cleared and improved.  He helped to make the roads, and was a successful man of business.  He was married on Nov. 26, 1835, to Mary, daughter of James and Jennie (Stewart) Bell, the latter of Berkeley County, Va.  James Bell came from Ireland in 1792, and settled in Ohio County, W. Va., where he died.  Mrs. Stewart was born there June 13, 1806.  Her father was drafted in the war of 1812, but furnished a substitute.  William Stewart died Feb. 11, 1882, aged seventy-five years.  He was formerly a member of the Diseenter Church. He had a family of seven children, three living—James B., William F. and Lybeous A.  Those deceased are Jane E., born Mar. 6, 1843, died May 29, 1849; Caroline M., born Aug. 26, 1844, died June 3, 1849; Calvin L., born Aug. 26, 1841, died July 26, 1864.  The latter enlisted in the war Sept. 20, 1861, in Company K, Thirty-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served until he was taken prisoner at the battle of Chickamauga, in September, 1863, dying in the Andersonville Prison.  He was also confined in Libby Prison.  James B. Stewart was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, Nov. 5, 1837, and passed his early life on a farm.  He came with his parents to Hardin County when thirteen years of age.  In September of 1864, he enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Eightieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served in Tennessee till January, 1865, and was then transferred to the Twenty-third Army Corps, at Kingston, N. C., receiving his discharge at Columbus July 24, 1865.   He returned home, and on Jan. 25, 1866, was married to Rebecca A., daughter of Gabriel and Prudence Albin.  She was born in Clark County, Ohio, Dec. 5, 1846.  To this union there have been born seven children—Ella R., George B., Cora, Maggie G., Katie, Lizzie and Ivie M.   James Stewart is serving his township as Trustee.  He owns 100 acres of the old homestead, and pursues farming and stock-raising.   Lybeous A. Stewart, the third son living, was born in Cass Township, Muskingum County, Ohio, Aug. 11, 1847. He is the youngest son, and came to Hardin County when but three years of age.  He was brought up on a farm, and received a common school education.  On Apr. 2, 1879, he was married to Susie M., daughter of Daniel and Eliza Minick, of Franklin County, Penn.  She was born in Franklin County, Penn., Feb. 14, 1857, and came, in 1864, with her parents to Taylor Creek Township, Hardin County, Ohio.  Of the two children born, one is living—Bessie.   Jessie M. died Oct. 5, 1880, aged seven months and thirteen days.  Lybeous is engaged in farming on the old homestead, owning 166 acres of well-improved land.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 1061
  Blanchard Twp. -
EWING STUMM, school teacher, Dunkirk, was born Mar. 27, 1862, in Johnstown, now Ada, Hardin County, Ohio.  His parents are C. E. and Melissa (Van Buskirk) Stumm, the former a native of Union County, Penn., of German lineage and a resident of Ada.  His father is an old school teacher of Ada, near and in where he taught fifteen terms.  The subject of this sketch has two sisters, Lenora and Wilhelmina, he being the only son and the oldest child.  He graduated from the Ada Normal School at the age of eighteen years, and has since been a teacher for three years in Dunkirk and one term in Marion Township.  He was employed last year as Superintendent of Schools at Dunkirk.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 887
  Blanchard Twp. -
J. C. SWANGER, farmer, P. O. Dunkirk, was born May 22, 1832, in Wayne County, Ohio, and is a son of John and Rachel Swanger, natives of Pennsylvania and residents of Arlington, Hancock County, Ohio.  In 1840, he went to Hancock County, where he received an education from the common schools.  He has resided in Dunkirk since 1873, with the exception of one year, 1876.  He is by occupation a farmer and stock-raiser, owns thirty-five acres of land in Section 7, eight in Section 6, of Blanchard Township, and forty acres in Section 14, of Washington Township.  He crossed the ;plains to California in 1852, engaging in the stock trade until 1864, when he returned home for a short time, again setting out for California.  In 1865, he returned finally to Hardin County.  In 1864, he was united in marriage to Eliza Jane, born May 5, 1846, in Hancock County, daughter of Giles and Elmira (Sawyer) Westcott, natives of New York State.  By this union there have been born four children, viz., Minnie, Emma, John C. and Kate.  Mr. Swanger was a member of the Minutemen of California, serving three years.  He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and is a useful citizen of Blanchard township.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 887
  Blanchard Twp. -
WILLIAM N. SWEET, stone mason, Dunkirk, was born Sept. 3, 1837, in Bellefontaine, Logan County, Ohio, and is a son of William and Elenor Sweet.  He is a stone mason, which occupation he has followed for twelve years.  He has been a resident of this county six years, and is the owner of his residence.  On the 8th of November, 1866, he married Rebecca Ramsey, a native of Virginia, born Jan. 23, 1840.  By this union there have been seven children, three deceased: Walter (deceased), Mary E., Charles W., Maud, Amelia J. (deceased), and an infant (deceased).  Mr. Sweet served for three years in the Fifty-fifth Regiment,  Company B, Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry.  He is a member of the Wesleyan Church, and is a useful citizen of Blanchard Township.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 887

NOTES:

 

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
HARDIN COUNTY
INDEX PAGE

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights