OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
HARDIN COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

HISTORY OF HARDIN COUNTY, OHIO
Containing
A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches,
Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Military
Record; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent
Men; History of the Northwest Territory;
History of Ohio; Miscellaneous
Matters, Etc., Etc.
ILLUSTRATED
Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co.
1883.

Marion Twp. -
ELIAS JAGGER
, farmer, P. O. Ada, was born in Licking County, Ohio, Mar. 9, 1818.  His paternal grandparents were John and Phúba Jagger, the former born May 3, 1748, the latter July 2, 1746.  His father, Silas Jagger was born in New York Sept. 1, 1774; and his mother, Sarah (Meeker) Jagger, was born July 3, 1776, one day before the Declaration of Independence.  In 1840, our subject located in Allen County, Ohio, and remained there until 1868, serving six years as Justice of the Peace, since which time he has resided in Hardin County.  He was married, May 15, 1838, to Maria Conkle, of Fairfield County, Ohio, and to them were born eleven children, their names and dates of births as follows:  Wilson, Mar. 2, 1839; Clarissa, Feb. 23, 1841;; Almed, Nov. 5, 1842; Clearman, Oct. 4, 1844; Louisa, June 5, 1846; Winfield, Mar. 12, 1848; Taylor J., Mar. 23, 1850; Elisa T., Aug. 23, 1852; Sarah M., Mar. 9, 1855; Elizabeth J., Mar. 24, 1857; Dorsey, Oct. 25, 1860.  On Oct. 23, 1882, Mr. Jagger laid out the village of Jagger, on the Chicago & Atlantic Railway, in the southeast corner of Section 8, on the Round head & Ada Turnpike.  The village is nearly centrally located on the only railroad and turnpike of the township, and will probably soon become quite a business center.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 951
Pleasant Twp. -
A. B. JOHNSON, attorney, Kenton, was born in Norwalk, Ohio, Sept. 9, 1843.  He is the only son of William P. and Betty (Bell) Johnson, both natives of Massachusetts.  His parents came to the West in 1835, settling in Huron County, Ohio.  His father, at the time of his death, was living in Oberlin, Ohio, where he died in the seventy-second year of his age.  The widow and mother is now residing in Oberlin, and has attained her seventy-first year.  The subject of this sketch secured his primary education in the common schools of Wellington.  When his parents moved to Oberlin, he entered the college there, graduating in 1864.  During the winters of that and the ensuing year, he was teaching school in Sharon, Ohio.  In the spring of 1865, he went to Sandusky and read law in the office of Homer Goodman, coming to Kenton in October.  Here he was appointed Superintendent of the Public Schools for the term of one year.  In the following April, he went to Cleveland and entered the Ohio State Union Law College, and was admitted to the bar June 6, 1866, at Wooster, Ohio.  He began the practice of his profession in August, 1866, in Kenton, where he has since been successfully engaged.  Mr. Johnson was married, in July, 1866, to Miss Louise M., daughter of George W. Crane, a native of Medina County, Ohio.  The five children born to this union are all living, viz., Cedric E., Ethel G., Burke L., Kent P. and Cecil A.  Mr. Johnson served as Prosecuting Attorney for four years, being elected in 1867 and re-elected in 1869, serving until 1871.  He was the Mayor of Kenton from 1874 to 1876, and for the past twelve years has been a member of the School Board.  He is a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter, council and Commandery of the Masonic order, and also a member of the lodge and encampment of the Independent Order of Odd Fellews.  Mr. Johnson was admitted to the Supreme Court of the United States on the 3d day of December, 1877, and to the Circuit Court at Cleveland on Oct. 31, 1873.
Source:
History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 786
Blanchard Twp. -
E. H. JOHNSON, farmer, P. O. Dunkirk, was born June 9, 1842, in Blanchard Township. Hardin Co., Ohio. He is a son of William W. and Sarah Ann (Hinebaugh) Johnson; the latter, a native of Pennsylvania and of German ancestry, is deceased.  His father was born in New York in 1817, and emigrated to Ohio in 1835.  The subject of this sketch pursues farming for an occupation; owns eighty acres of land in Section 16, Blanchard Township, where he has resided for fifteen years.  He was married, Sept. 3, 1863, to Miss R. D., born Nov. 12, 1845, in Athens County, Ohio, the daughter of D. C. and Rachel (Wright) Phillips, both deceased, of Scotch and Irish descent.  Her father, a pioneer of Athens County, was for twenty-one years a Justice of the Peace of Blanchard Township, Hardin County.  Mr. Johnson has been the father of six children, namely, Esta (deceased), E. M., an infant (deceased), A. M., G. S. and M. Z. (deceased).  Mr. and Mrs. Johnson are members of the Christian Church.  Two brothers of Mrs. JohnsonE. W. and D. W. ówere in the One Hundred and Seventy-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and another brotheróN. B. ówas First Lieutenant in Company G, Eighty-second Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  Milton Johnson, brother of our subject, was also in the One Hundred and Seventy-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  Mr. Johnson is a member of the Masonic order, of Kenton; has filled the office of School Director, and in politics is a Republican.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 877
Goshen Twp. -
PETER JOHNSON, farmer, P. O. Kenton, is a native of Fleming County, Ky., where he was born July 29, 1811.  He is a son of Jacob and Rachel (Green) Johnson, who came to Ohio in 1816.  Our subject was educated in this county, and in 1853 was ordained as a minister.  He also has two brothers who are ministers of the Gospel.  He was married, July 7, 1836, to Leah Amley daughter of William and Mary (Kersey) AmleyMrs. Johnson was born in Kentucky in 1818.  By this union there were born twelve children, four deceased.  Mr. Johnson has acted as Justice of the Peace for seventeen years, and for the last two years has been farming five miles North of Kenton, where he owns forty acres of land.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 913
Hale Twp. -
PHILIP G. JOHNSON, farmer, P. O. Mount Victory, was born in Rushsylvania, Logan Co., Ohio, Aug. 19, 1848.  His parents are Henry G. and Martha Johnson, the former a native of Kentucky, the latter of Logan County, Ohio, in which latter place they were married, coming thence to Hardin county, where they are now residents of Buck Township.  Both have nearly reached their seventieth year.  They are the parents of nine children, four sons and five daughters, viz., Isabella S., Sarilla, Victoria, Mary E., Paulina, Jacob R., Robert H., Philip G. and Henry O.  The subject of this sketch acquired good common school education, and for his occupation chose farming.  For one year he rented land, and then bought his present farm of fifty-two acres of well-cultivated land.  He was married, Feb. 29, 1872, to Rebecca, daughter of Elihu and Hopy Winder.  She was born in Hale Township, Hardin County, Sept. 18, 1854.  To this union there have been born two children - Mertie M., born Feb. 1, 1873, and Lester A., born Feb. 13, 1875.  Mr. Johnson and his wife are members of the Christian Church.  Since starting in life he has been generally successful.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 939
Blanchard Twp. -
R. H. JOHNSON, proprietor of a restaurant and saloon, Dunkirk, was born Apr. 16, 1844, near Dunkirk, Blanchard Township, Hardin Co., Ohio.  He received a common school education, and, in Apr., 1861, at the age of seventeen years, enlisted in the Fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company D, serving three years and four months.  In 1868, he was engaged in the stave business; from 1871 to August of 1875, was farming in Elk County, Southern Kansas, and, for the past five years, has been proprietor of a saloon and restaurant in Dunkirk.  He was married, on the 4th of July, 1865, to Sarah, a native of Hardin County, born in 1847, the daughter of Nicholas Miller, of Patterson, Ohio.  Mrs. Johnson died in 1876, leaving a family of four children, viz., Fred, Norman A., Carl D. and Wilber, Fred and Wilber were born in Kansas.  Mr. Johnson formed a second union, at Findlay, July 3, 1878, with Mollie Naus, born in Hancock County in 1858, and a daughter 0f William Naus.  By this union there have been born two childrenóHarry D. and Vernon.  Mr. Johnson is a member of the Knights of Pythias of Kenton, and is a useful citizen of Dunkirk.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 877

Buck Twp. -
HENRY G. JOHNSON, farmer, P. O. Kenton, was born in Fleming Co., Ky., Apr. 17, 1813, and is a son of Jacob and Rachel (Green) Johnson.  He is next to the youngest of the children living; was reared on his father's farm and educated in the common schools.  His first schoolhouse was a log cabin, with no floors,,,, furnished with a fire-place, slab seats and greased-paper window lights.  When sixteen years of age, he left home, going twenty-one miles to Champaign County to obtain work at $6 a month, $1 in cash and the remainder in goods.  For four years he worked by the month, receiving from $6 to $9 per month; then cropped one year and worked by the job one year; after which he married, and, in 1841, bought 100 acres of land, where Rushsylvania now stands, paying $1,000.  It was largely covered with timber, and he has since cleared half of the farm and lived on it seven years.  He then lived on the Mays farm on the old Sandusky road, remaining there one year.  He accommodated pioneer travelers, although not keeping a public house.  He cleared three farms in Logan County, and on Mar. 25, 1850, purchased his present farm of 100 acres, paying $8 an acre.  In 1853, he added 103 acres, paying $6 an acre; subsequently, in 1856, he added fifty-four acres more, and is now the owner of 247 acres, 150 of which he has cleared and improved himself.  He started a poor boy, and by his energy and ambition secured all he now has, and his pursuits in life have been generally successful.  He has been a great reader, acquiring considerable knowledge.  On Apr. 28, 1836, he was united in marriage to Martha, daughter of Robert and Isabel (Burnsides) Smith, and a native of Logan County, Ohio, born Oct. 10, 1813.  Ten children resulted from this union, nine living, viz., Jacob R.; Isabel S., wife of J. S. Allen; Robert H.; Savilla; Victoria, wife of Nathan Clark; Henry O., Philip G., Mary E., and Paulina, wife of Kendrick Kennedy.  Mr. John belonged for sixty years and she for forty years.  Mr. Johnson has also been a local minister for twenty-five years.  In politics, he was formerly a Whig but is now a Republican.  He served as Township Trustee for eight years.  Jacob R. Johnson, the eldest son of our subject, was the first to enlist in Hardin County; he responded to the call of 75,000 men, and enlisted in Company ___, Fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  He served in the army of the Potomac, and fought at Romney.  After a service of nine months, he was discharged on account of disability.  He then returned home, and is now residing in Leesburg, Kosciusko Co., Ind.  He was marred to Margaret J. Pooler.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 1045

Buck Twp. -
HOSEA JOHNSON, farmer, P. O. Kenton, was born in Monroe Township, Logan Co., Ohio, Dec. 11, 1817.  His father, Jacob Johnson, was born in Monmouth County, N. U., Mar. 15, 1779.  His grandfather was Andrew Johnson, who came from Holland before the Revolution, settled in New Jersey, and in 1786 removed with his family to Boone County, Ky.  The following year Daniel Boone left that county.  Mrs. Johnson, wife of Jacob Johnson, was of English and Welsh descent.  Her father, George Green, worked his way across the ocean on a sailing vessel when nineteen years of age.  He settled in Bourbon County, Ky., and, in 1811, came to Logan County, Ohio, where he died.  Our subject's parents married July 12, 1802.  His father was an old hunter, and followed that occupation in Kentucky, where bears were so numerous that people could hardly keep their hogs, and had to pen them up.  Mr. Johnson, early one morning, was aroused by the squealing of some hogs, and suddenly started out in pursuit of the bear.  He followed the noise, and soon found the object of this search.  The bear was biting and cuffing the hog, which he held up but on seeing the hunter he fled.  Mr. Johnson, knowing the bear would soon return, secreted himself behind a log, and shortly after bruin came back and perched himself with his fore feet on the log, snuffing around, upon which the hunter shot him in the region of the heart.  The animal was found to weight 500 pounds.  When Jacob Johnson came to Logan County, he "squatted" on 1,000 acres of land, which he occupied seventeen years.  He then bought eighty-seven acres of land at $2 an acre in Rush Creek Township, which land he cleared of the timber covering it.  His father's home was used as a church for twenty-five years, and his house was the home of the itinerant.  He was first identified with the old Calvin Baptists, and afterward with the Methodist Church, in which he labored until his death.  He died in August, 1868, and his wife preceded him, Sept. 18, 1856.  They had twelve children, ten sons and two daughters five living.  Our subject, the youngest child, was reared on a farm and given a common school education.  He aided his father in clearing the farm, and lived with him until twenty-two years old.  On Jan. 2, 1840, he was married to Nancy Rosbrugh, born in Logan County, Ohio, Feb. 11, 1817.  Her parents, Hilkiah and Susan (Deardeff) Rosebrugh, were natives of Virginia whence they moved and settled in Logan County, Ohio, near West Liberty, where there daughter Nancy was reared to womanhood.  Mrs. Rosebrugh was born May 18, 1787, died May 2, 1851, in Logan County; her husband was born Oct. 30, 1782, died Apr. 17, 1828, in Bedford County, Va.  They had eleven children, ten living, viz.: Susan, wife of James Morrison; Elizabeth, wife of H. N. Smith; John C.; Sophromia, wife of P. F. Latimer; George F.; M. Micajah; Jane, wife of Milton Davis; Margaret, wife of Milton LeePeter F. and Mollie C.  Henry G. died at the age of two years.  In 1850, Mr. Johnson removed to his present farm and bought 100 acres, to which he has since added, until he is owner now of 540 acres; the homestead contained 330 acres.  He has given 200 acres to his sons, George and Micajah.  In politics, he wsa formerly a Whig, but now belongs to the Republican party.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 1046

Buck Twp. -
JOHN C. JOHNSON, farmer, P. O. Kenton, was born in Union County, Ohio, Aug. 26, 1843.  He is a son of Hosea and Nancy Johnson, who removed to Logan County, Ohio, when our subject was one year old.  In 1850, they settled in Buck Township, Hardin County, where John was reared and educated.  On Jan. 17, 1864, he enlisted in Company A, Eight-second Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served in the Army of the Cumberland.  On May 2, he started on the Atlanta campaign, and fought in the battles of Resaca, New Hope Church, Kenesaw Mountain, Peach Tree Creek, and all the battles on the approach to Atlanta, including the bombardment of that city.  He was taken sick at Atlanta, of typhoid fever, and was subsequently transferred to Nashville, where he participated in the battle there.  He followed Hood's army to Florence, Ala., and was then formed into a battalion of Sherman's soldiers, and rejoined his regiment at Goldsboro.  He then marched to Raleigh, and was finally taken by water to Fort Schuyler, N. Y., where he was mustered out, and was discharged at Columbus, July 7, 1865.  On his return home, he resumed his occupation of farming.  He rented land until 1872, when he bought sixty-five acres in Buck Township, to which he has since added, and now owns 224 acres, on which he has made improvements and cleared nearly the whole of it.  He built his residence in 1877 at a cost of $2,000, and has also added all the barns.  He is employed in farming and stock-raising, keeping a good grade of cattle.  On Nov. 23, 1869, he was united in marriage to Anna E. Rarey, born in Franklin County, Ohio, Jan. 10, 1848, and a daughter of Nicholas and Sarah Rarey.  This union has resulted in six children, five living, viz.: Nora I., Annetta, George P., Nicholas P. and John W.  Walter A. died when four years old.  Mr. Johnson and his wife are connected with the M. E. Church.  Mr. Johnson is a member of the Grange, and has filled the offices of Master, Overseer and Chaplain, each two terms.  In politics, he is a Republican, and has served as Township trustee for one term.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 1047

Liberty Twp. -
A. L. JONES
, Ada, is a commercial traveler for Butterworth & Co., 28 West Pearl street, Cincinnati, Ohio.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 1007
Blanchard Twp. -
ANDREW D. JONES, farmer, P. O. Dunkirk, was born May 22, 1825, __x County, Ohio.  His parents are John and Sarah (Bradbury) Jones; __ther coming from Pennsylvania, and of German descent, of English ___y, the father a native of New Jersey.  They came to Ohio, settling __ ___x County, where they lived until 1854, when they came to Hardin County, Washington Township, where they spent the remainder of their days.  His father was a prominent member of the United Brethren Church, and among the first advocates of freedom.  The subject of this sketch was educated, up to his eighteenth year, in the common schools of Knox County, and for eighteen months at the Oberlin College.  He learned the trade of brick-mason and plasterer at Mount Vernon, where he worked three years; then in Oberlin four years.  He was in the hardware business in Dunkirk; taught two school terms in Knox County, three terms in Hardin and two terms in Richland County.  He is now occupied in farming; has cleared 200 acres of land in Washington Township since 1854, and owns 117 acres in Washington Township, 160 acres in Allen County, Ind., and three dwellings in Dunkirk.  On Sept. 23, 1850, he was united in marriage, in Washington Township, by Harrison P. Darst, with Jane E. Moses, a native of Connecticut, born Jan. 5, 1827, daughter of Asa and Almira (Barber) Moses.  Her parents were natives of Connecticut and of English lineage.  Three children were born to this marriage - John A., resident of Allen County, Ind.; Sarah Almira, wife of Nathan Spaulding, of Hardin County, and Moses Milton, deceased at the age of one month.  Mr. Jones has also reared three other children - John H., the child of his brother, and two of his wife's brother's children, Frank L. and Jennie Moses - the latter wife of John McKinley, a school teacher in Forest.  Mr. Jones and his wife are members of the United Brethren Church, where, for twenty yeas, the former has been Trustee, Steward and Sabbath school teacher.  He is, in politics, a Republican; has filled the office of Township Treasurer, Trustee and many other position of trust.  The first vote he ever cast was for free speech, free sil and freedom to all, and he is a bitter opponent to all secret societies, Church and State, as they are strictly forbidden by the word of God, it being "The lamp to my feet and the light to my pathway."
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 877
Blanchard Twp. -
C. M. JONES, proprietor of Dunkirk elevators and dealer in grain and seeds, hard and soft coal, etc., was born May 1, 1850, a native of this county.  He is a son of A. B. and Elizabeth (Spacht) Jones, of which family he is the only surviving member.  His father died in 1864, a victim of the rebel prisons.  His mother died in 1862, and his three sisters and one brother also are deceased.  The subject of this sketch was raised on a farm two miles north of North Washington, and educated in the common schools until Apr. 1, 1865, when he was employed as a salesman and T. Mahon & Co., at Dunkirk.  On Apr. 1, 1870, armed with recommendations from former employers and citizens of the town, he went Westward, and obtained a position in the clothing house of A. N. Schuster, Marysville, Nodaway Co., Mo., where he was also Assistant Postmaster.  He was married, Sept. 12, 1872, to Sallie Woods, born Jan. 6, 1856, in Columbiana County, and a daughter of David Woods.  From Apr. 1, 1873, to Apr. 1, 1877, he was employed as salesman by John Woodruff.  The latter part of these years was devoted to the opening of the books and acting in the capacity of Assistant Cashier of "Woodruff's Bank."  Since Apr. 1, 1877, he has been in business for himself, and, in a measure, is successful.  Mr. Jones has filled the office of Trustee and Financial Secretary in the Knights of Honor; was appointed Enumerator of the Census in 1880; is Township Treasurer and a member of the Village Council.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 878
Pleasant Twp. -
CHARLES P. JONES, farmer P. O. Kenton, was born in Knox County, Ohio, in 1838, and is a son of John and Sarah (Bradbury) Jones, the former of New Jersey, the latter of Pennsylvania.  His father was born in 1800 and married in Pennsylvania.  He settled in Knox County, Ohio, in 1825, and was among the early pioneers there.  They moved to Hardin county in 1852, settling in Washington Township, and lived there to the close of their lives.  They had a family of nine children, seven of whom are living.  The subject of this sketch was the youngest son, and was married in Trumbull County, Ohio, in 1866, to Miss Eliza J., daughter of Alexander Campbell.  She is a native of Trumbull County, of which her parents were early pioneers.  This union has resulted in two children, Lehr B. and Early V.  Mr. Jones enlisted, in 1864, in Company F of the One Hundred and Seventy-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was honorably discharged at the close of the war.  He established in the dairy business in Kenton in 1880, and has now a dairy of nineteen cows, with a large and profitable business.  He lives on his farm of 132 acres, upon which he settled in 1875.
Source:
History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 786

NOTES:

 

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
HARDIN COUNTY
INDEX PAGE

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights