OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
HARDIN COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

HISTORY OF HARDIN COUNTY, OHIO
Containing
A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches,
Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Military
Record; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent
Men; History of the Northwest Territory;
History of Ohio; Miscellaneous
Matters, Etc., Etc.
ILLUSTRATED
Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co.
1883.

Blanchard Twp. -
HARVEY J. EAGER, Justice of the Peace, Dunkirk, was born June 25, 1841.  His father, deceased, and buried in New York, was of Scotch and Welsh descent.  His mother, Melissa Eager, was the daughter of John Ayres, a native of Gloversville, N. Y., and of Welsh and Scotch lineage.  The subject of this sketch, when fourteen years of age, emigrated to Wisconsin, where he attended the schools for one year, and then came to Wauseon, Fulton Co., Ohio, where he now has three brothers residing, one of whom is among the wealthiest in the county.  In 1859 and 1860, he was in New York, a conductor on the street cars of Sixth avenue.  ON the 1st of October, 1866, he was married, in Wauseon, Fulton County, to Lucy, born June 11, 1837, in Wauseon, Fulton County, the daughter of Avery and Sallie (Davis) Lamb, the former a native of Vermont, and of Scotch and Welsh descent, the latter of native of New York State.  This union has resulted in one child, a son, born on the eleventh year of their marriage, Oct. 2, 1877.  In the spring of 1878, Mr. Eager drove a four-horse team from Wauseon to Cherokee County, Kan., and was thirty-six days on the road.  He was occupied for four yeas in Kansas in stock-raising, and returned to Kenton, Hardin Co., Ohio, where, in 1871, he was engaged in the creamery butter business, and was very successful.  In 1875 and 1876, he was in a flour mill.  In 1878, he came to Dunkirk; was the Mayor of the town nomination of Probate Judge, but was defeated by J. E. Lowry.  Mr. Eager is a member of the Masonic order at Kenton, and in politics is an anti monopolist.  He is a gentleman of pleasing address, possesses a high sense of honor, and is conscientious and courteous in his business dealings.  Although positive in his conviction of right and wrong, his varied experiences in life, and his intuitive knowledge of human n_____ _ombine to give him broad and liberal views of men and ________.  He supports with energy and enthusiasm that which enlists his sympathies, and his decision of character makes itself felt and respected by all with whom he comes in contact.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 871
Cessna Twp. -
JOHN ECCARIUS, farmer, P.O. Kenton, is a native of Germany, born Oct. 23, 1834, and is a son of George and Margaret (Gessard) Eccarius.  He came with his parents of America in 1849, and the same year settled in Hardin County, Ohio.  His schooling was mostly obtained in Germany and he was reared to farming.  He was united in marriage in April, 1857, to Margaret Oschman, a native of Germany, who came to Hardin County with her parents in 1854 and 1855.  Nine children resulted from this union, viz., Jannette, Ernest, Caroline, John George, Martha, David Robert, U. S. Grant, Carl and Florin.  Mr. Eccarius was a member of the One Hundred and Thirty-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was in the engagement at John Brown's meeting house.  He belongs to the Lutheran Church, is in politics, a Republican, but has never sought nor held office.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 921
Cessna Twp. -
SAMUEL MITCHELL EDENS, saw-miller, P. O. Kenton, was born in West Virginia June 20, 1840.  His parents, John and Sarah (Miller) Edens, were natives of Virginia and of German lineage.  When quite young, our subject came with his parents to Ohio, locating in Highland County, and subsequently, in 1855, in Hardin County.  He was reared on a farm and attended the common schools; then worked at milling for about twenty years, and is now running a mill of his own.  In 1869, he was united in marriage to Catherine Jane, a daughter of John and Mary Ann Swartz, of Muskingum County, Ohio.  They have eight children, viz., Ervin Algern, Arizona Adelaide, Emery Melvin, Leona Adelle, Euretta Almena, William Merlin, Lillian Dale and Reginald Guy.  Mr. Edens served one week in the chase after Morgan during the Morgan raid in Ohio.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 922
Blanchard Twp. -
W. D. EDGAR, lumber merchant, P. O. Dunkirk, was born May 2, 1838, in Hardin County, and is a son of David H. and Zuba (Hamlin) Edgar; the former a native of Pennsylvania and of German descent, the latter a native of New York State.  The subject of this sketch was reared and educated in this county, and is by occupation a farmer and dealer in lumber.  He enlisted April 18, 1861, in the Fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, was discharged Nov 23, 1863.  He participated in the following battles:  Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Rich Mountain, Gettysburg, Winchester, also in many skirmishes.  At the battle of Chancellorsville, May 3, 1863, he was wounded in the breast by a minie ball and lost the use of his arm.  He is now receiving a pension.  He was married, at Findlay, by Rev. Mr. Done, Nov. 4, 1866, to Dora, daughter of William and Elizabeth (Davis) Tanner, born Apr. 13, 1849, in Hancock County, Ohio.  Her father is a native of New Jersey, and emigrated to this State at the age of twelve years; her mother was born in Virginia, and came to this State with her parents at an early day.  Mr. Edgar is the father of five children, viz.: Marchie, born Aug. 11, 1867; Lenora, born Feb. 28, 1869; Maud, born June 7, 1870; Bertha A., born June 7, 1875, and Ruby A., born Nov. 21, 1882.  Mrs. Edgar is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Mr. Edgar is a member of the I. O. O. F.; member of the Grand Army of the Republic; was Chief of Police at Columbus for two years, from Dec. 1879, to Mar. 4, 1882; served as Auditor of the County in 1868 and 1869; four about eight years was Deputy Sheriff and three years Postmaster of Dunkirk.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 872
Dudley Twp. -
GEORGE ELSASSER, farmer, P. O. Kenton, was born Aug. 20, 1836, a native of Germany and a son of John and Margaret (Bishop) Elsasser.  He was educated at the schools of Germany until his fifteenth year, when, in 1850, he emigrated and settled in this State.  He is a farmer and saw-miller by occupation, and owns sixty acres of land in Dudley Township.  He was married in May, 1861, to Cathem Glock born in 1838, in Germany, who bore him three children, William (deceased), John and Maggie Mrs. Elsasser died in 1871.  On May 15, 1881, Mr. Elsasser formed a second union with Naoma Brown born in 1836 in Union County, Ohio.  Mrs. Elsasser is a member of the United Brethren Church, and Mr. Elsasser of the German Reformed Church.  In politics, he is a Republican, and has filled the positions of Trustee, Supervisor and School Director.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 896

WILLARD C. EMERY, M. D.  A position of prominence in the medical fraternity of Kenton is held by the subject of this notice, who began in the spring of 1884, and has since had a large and remunerative patronage.  He is a following of the homeopathic school, and is ability and success have done much toward gaining popularity for that system among the people of this locality.  In the diagnosis of intricate and complicated cases he displays an accuracy and skill that prove his thorough knowledge of the profession in its every department.
     The Emery family originated in Germany, but has been represented in America for many years, and three generations have been residents of Ohio.  Peter H. Emery, the father of our subject, was a native of Pennsylvania, whence he removed to Ohio Early  in the 40s, and with his brother started the first carriage factory in Bellefontaine.  His death occurred in that city in 1865.  The lady whom he married, Mary Ann Anderson, was of Scotch-Irish ancestry, and her father, Matthew Anderson, was one of the pioneers of Logan County, his home being on a farm near West Liberty.  During the last twenty years of his life he was totally blind.  One of his sons was a member of the Wisconsin State Legislature and State Senate, and now makes his home in that state.  Mr. Mary A. Emery survives her husband, and now resides in Bellefontaine.
     At the time of the death of Peter H. Emery, his wife was left with four small children dependent upon her.  Of these the eldest, W. C., was born in Bellefontaine, Logan County, Ohio, April 16, 1856.  His three sisters are Jennie, who resides with her mother at Bellefontaine; Sallie, wife of E. W. Patterson, a well-to-do stockman of Bellefontaine; and Mamie, wife of Dr. Frank Griffin, a dentist of Bellefontaine.  The subject of this sketch received his literary education in the common and high schools of his native city, and in 1876, when twenty years old, commenced to read medicine with Dr. J. H. Wilson, of Bellefontaine.  Later he attended lectures at the Pulte Medical College of Cincinnati, from which institution he was graduated in the spring of 1879.
     Forming a partnership with his former preceptor, Dr. Emery remained in Bellefontaine until 1884, when, as above stated, he came to Kenton.  He was united in marriage, in 1884, with Miss Emma May Kerr, the daughter of an extensive and successful commission merchant of Buffalo, N. Y.  Unto their union there have been born two sons and two daughters, named as follows:  Hazel, Marguerite, Horace Clayton and Willard Sprague.  The religious connections of Dr. and Mrs. Emery are with the Presbyterian Church, in the welfare of which he takes a deep interest.  In political affairs he advocates the principles of the Republican party, and is well informed concerning matters pertaining to local and national prosperity.  His residence, an attractive house recently erected, is situated on North Detroit Street, and is one of the most cosey and pleasant homes in the city.
Source #2 - Portrait & Biographical Records of Marion & Hardin Counties, Ohio - 1895 - Page 386

Buck Twp. -
JOHN ESPY was born in Beaver County, Penn., Mar. 2, 1811, there grew to manhood, and in August, 1836, was married to Miss Jane Anderson, a native of the same county.  To this union one son, Thomas, was born, who for many years has been one of the leading business men of Kenton,  From Beaver County, Penn., Mr. Espy and family removed to Taylor Creek Township, Hardin Co., Ohio, arriving at the destination Sept. 1, 1838.  Here he lived upon a farm until the autumn of 1840, when he removed to Kenton, and engaged in the manufacture and sale of wooden pumps until the eyar 1844, when he entered a distillery on the present site of the Snow Cloud Mills.  During the ensuing year the grinding for the distillery was done by the old Ross horse mill, which was operated, as its name implies, by a horse tread-wheel.  The insufficiency of this mill for the growing demands of the day was soon recognized by Mr. Espy, and in 1846 he erected the present Snow Cloud Flour Mill in connection with the distillery.  The erection of this mill marked a new era in the milling operations of the community, for this was the first steam flour mill erected within the county.  Mr. Espy continued the operation of this mill about eight years, when he sold it, and purchased a saw mill on the south side of the town.  With this enterprise he was connected about twelve years.  In 1865, the Marseilles Flouring Mill was purchased, but at the expiration of the first year Mr. Espy returned to Kenton, and at once erected the present Espy Mill, which went into operation Mar. 30, 1867.  To this enterprise he devoted his attention until 1872, when he withdrew from all connection with milling operations.  From this date up to within about a month of his death his whole time and attention were devoted to the improvement of the home farm on the south side of town.  During the last month of his life, he had purchased the old woolen mills property, and planned the erection of another large flour mill which should supply the growing demands of the old mill, whose increased patronage had outrun its capacity.  The death of Mr. Espy, Nov. 28, 1878, brought this undertaking to a close for the present.  Such were the leading events in the business affairs of Mr. Espy that he justly earned the title of "the pioneer miller of Hardin County."  Beginning with empty hands, by persistent application to business, he was enabled to achieve some of the greatest milling operations of the county and period.  In his capacity as a pioneer, he contributed to the development of the public interests of the community, always an advocate of all measures of advancement, and a champion of every project of improvement.  Although deeply interested in public affairs, he would never allow his name to be used in connection with any office beyond those of his own township, always giving as a reason for his aversion to office - the urgent demands of his private affairs.  Thus, while a partisan of strong convictions and deeply devoted to the interests "by attending to the business of others."  His party received his sympathy and influence; his private affairs, his energy and time.  In business he was a man of strict integrity, rigid in exaction of all obligations, and unswerving in his plans.  Possessed of a high sense of justice, and an indomitable will, no question of expediency could allure him aside from what he considered the line of duty.  In private life he was kind, forbearing and affable.  With a plan unwavering, an energy untiring, and a will unflinching, he rose to affluence; but this success not only failed to produce pride or coldness, but rather served to enlarge its sphere of usefulness, as generosity and liberality were prominent traits of his character. Although having reached the advanced age of sixty-eight, his death came suddenly and unexpectedly and was deeply deplored by the whole community, for the public recognized in his demise an almost irreparable loss.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 1042
Cessna Twp. -
B. P. EULIN, farmer, P. O. Kenton, was born in Hardin County, Ohio, Oct. 26, 1847.  He is a son of John Perry and Elizabeth (Linck) Euline, natives of Ohio.  His father was a pioneer of Hardin County, and is still living.  Our subject was reared on a farm, securing a common school education, and for a time was a teacher in the schools.  He has since been engaged in carrying on farming.  On Nov. 7, 1872, he married Rachel O., daughter of William and Nancy Cessna, which union resulted in one child, Cora Elizabeth, who died when little over a year old.  Mrs. Eulin died Mar. 10, 1875, and Mr. Eulin remarried Dec. 25, 1878.  His second wife is Mary Elizabeth, daughter of Israel and Patsey Smith and a native of Fayette County, Ohio.  Mrs. Eulin is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Mr. Eulin was a member of Warden of the Patrons of Husbandry, but his Grange has since been discontinued.  In politics, he is a Republican, has served as Constable, and is an intelligent, thrifty farmer.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 922
Buck Twp. -
DAVID EVANS, farmer, P. O. Kenton, was born in Wales, June 20, 1813.  He is a son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Jones) Evans.  (See sketch of John Evans.)  David was the youngest of five children, two living - John and David.  The deceased are Mary, Margaret and Magdalena.  Our subject was reared on the homestead, and obtained a fair education from the common schools.  At an early age, he began providing for his mother and a sister.  In April, 1852, he sold his farm in Gallia County, Ohio, and came to Hardin County.  Here he bought 202 acres of land at $14 an acre.  He has since cleared the land, and has 125 acres under cultivation.  He assisted in cutting out and making the road in his section of Buck Township, and also gave a helping hand in founding churches and schools.  He was largely instrumental in the organization of the St. Paul Methodist Episcopal Church, with which he has since been connected.  In 1878, he erected his brick residence, at a cost of $2,200.  On Jan. 9, 1833, he was united in marriage to Lovina, a daughter of John Price, and born in Union County, Ohio, in September, 1816.  This union has been blessed with fourteen children, nine living, as follows:  Elizabeth, wife of James Bailey, Margaret, wife of Paul K. Sieg; Bethany, wife of Ira Richards; Mary, wife of Thomas McElres; Thomas P.; Nancy A., wife of Edward Moy; Phebe, wife of Charles WhiteWilliam H., Maria and two infants.  Mr. Evans and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal ChurchIn politics, Mr. Evans is a Democrat, but has never sought office.  Thomas P. Evans, the eldest son of David Evans, was born in Delaware County, Ohio, Mar. 20, 1845.  He was married Mar. 7, 1867, to Laura E., a daughter of John and Saloma Tyler.  She was born in Orleans County, N. Y., Mar. 13, 1846.  The six children born are Saloma L., Arthur, Lovina E., Asher T., Gertrude L. and Alta M.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 1044
Marion Twp. -
J. B. EVANS, physician and surgeon, Huntersville, P. O. Ada, was born in Knox County, Ohio, Jan. 17, 1844.  He is a son of Benjamin and Sarah (Webster) Evans, the former a native of Wales, the latter of Connecticut.  During his minority, he was educated at the common schools of Knox and Union Counties, and subsequently took a regular course at the Ohio Medical College of Cincinnati, and a course at the Medical College of Fort Wayne, Ind.  In March, 1865, he was married to Rebecca Louisa, a daughter of George  Davis, of Union County, Ohio, and one of the most accomplished of Union County's fair belles.  One child blessed this union, Eva Dell, born Aug. 8, 1867.  Mrs. Evans died May 14, 1869.  In November, 1872, Dr. Evans remarried.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 950
Buck Twp. -
JOHN EVANS, farmer, P. O. Kenton, was born in Cardigan, Wales, Feb. 12, 1803.  He is a son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Davis) Evans, both natives of Wales.  His father was born in October, 1782, his mother on Feb. 12, 1783, and were of Welsh stock.  In 1818, they emigrated from their native country in a sailing vessel, and were fifty-two days on the voyage.  They landed at Baltimore in June, and then went to Pittsburgh.  They subsequently proceeded down the Ohio River in a flatboat, to Gallipolis, Ohio.  Mr. Evans entered eighty-four acres of land in Gallia County, lived there till 1824, then removed to Delaware County, purchasing a farm of 200 acres in Thompson Township.  He died in October, 1828.  For seven years he was a sea captain.  He started out a poor boy, and with energy, combined with a good practical business mind, acquired his large and valuable property.  His estate was estimated to be worth $40,000.  The subject of this sketch inherited 100 acres of land in Delaware County, of which he cleared sixty acres.  He then sold out, and bought 207 acres in Buck Township, Hardin County, to which he added until he had acquired 477 acres.  He divided this land among his children, remaining 217 acres, worth $75 an acre.  He was married, Jan. 29, 1829, to Maria Cochran, a daughter of James and Elizabeth Cochran, and a native of Ohio, born Dec. 3, 1809.  Mrs. Evans died July 28, 1860, leaving a family of twelve children, four living - Thomas, John E., David C. and William E.  In politics, Mr. Evans was formerly a Whig, but now belongs to the Democratic party.  He held the office of Township Trustee for five years.  David C. Evans, the third son living, was born in Thompson Township, Delaware County, Ohio, Jan. 7, 1847.  He was reared on the homestead, and obtained a limited education from the common schools.  On April, 25, 1871, he was married to Miss Varena, a daughter of John and Mary Fry.  She is a native of Switzerland, born Dec. 17, 1851.  The four children born are Emery D., Willis J., Charles E. and EarlMr. David Evans owns ninety-six acres of land, and is engaged in farming and stock-raising.  He makes a specialty of Poland China hogs.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 1043
Buck Twp. -
JOHN E. EVANS, farmer, P. O. Kenton, was born on the old homestead, in Delaware County, Ohio, Jan. 7, 1847.  He is a son of John and Maria Evans, with whom he had come to Hardin County, where they settled.  He is next to the youngest son living, and twin brother to David C. Evans.  He was reared on the homestead, in Buck Township, and secured a fair education from the common schools.  On Feb. 22, 1876, he married Miss Jennie, a daughter of Francis B. and Nancy (Conner) Slagle, and a native of Ross County, Ohio, born Mar. 3, 1852.  No children have blessed this union.  Mrs. Evans' parents had settled in Pleasant Township when she was three years old, and where she attained womanhood.  Mr. Evans resided on a part of the homestead until Nov. 30, 1881.  He owns 160 acres of land, besides eighty-one and a half near Silver Station, given him by his father.  He is engaged in farming and stock-raising, making sheep a specialty of the latter.  Mrs. Evans is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Grant Station.   Mr. Evans is a Democrat in politics, and is now serving as Township Trustee and School Director.
Source: History of Hardin Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 1044

NOTES:

 

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
HARDIN COUNTY
INDEX PAGE

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights