OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

GUERNSEY COUNTY,
 OHIO

BIOGRAPHIES


SOURCE 1: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2.
B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911

SOURCE #2 - Portrait and Biographical History of Guernsey County, Ohio
Published:  Chicago: C. O. Owen & Co., 1895

< BACK TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >
A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


 
CYRUS C. P. SARCHET
MOSES SARCHET
MRS. MARTHA SARCHET

THE SARCHET FAMILY were among the first to settle in this county, being among the number of families that emigrated from the island of Guernsey (France) in 1806, and as the family have been prominent in the history of this county, which was named for the island they came from, it may be of interest to the reader of local history to know something in detail of the ancestry as well as of the members of the family who have left their impress on their adopted country.
     The Sarchet family, of the island of Guernsey, Europe, were descendants of the De Souchets, of the north of France.  Thomas, a son of that family (who were zealous Catholics), obtained, during his majority, a French Bible, which he persisted in reading, against the protest of his father and mother, as also the parish priest, who threatened the anathemas of the church.  The Bible is still in the Sarchet family as a precious relic.  Through fear, he fled from his home to the island of Jersey, from there to Guernsey, where he assumed the name of Sarchet.  This was about the year 1670.  He married and had one son.  The son married and had two sons, Thomas and Peter, who became the heads of two families in Guernsey.  Thomas, John, Peter and Nicholas, were the sons of Thomas,  and Peter, the only son of Peter, and, these five sons having all emigrated to Guernsey county, Ohio, the name is now extinct in the Island of Guernsey.
     Thomas, the elder son of Thomas, succeeded to the patrimonial estate, the old "Sarchet mansion," a massive stone structure of the olden time, with fourteen acres of land attached.  HE was a cultivator of fruits and vegetables for the market of St. Petersport, and also a carter or drayman of the city.  John was a ship's blacksmith, a maker of chain cables and anchors; a man of more than ordinary ability, shrewd and cunning; he was an advocate of free trade, and represented the Iron-master's Union of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania before the ways and means committee of the House of Representatives of the United States, in a report advocating free-trade in iron.  His report was bitterly assailed by Henry Clay, as coming from a dirty-handed smuggler of the island of Guernsey; the report was sustained by Albert Galliten, in an able speech, wherein he pronounced that, though John Sarchet's hands were dirty, it was from honest toil, and that his argument was unanswerable.
     Peter Sarchet was a carpenter, and Nicholas was a blacksmith, each of whom were quiet, frugal, industrious men, filling their places in society with credit to themselves and families.
     Peter, son of Peter, was a gentleman of leisure and means, with the title of Sire Peter.
    
THOMAS SARCHET, SR., the pioneer of the Guernsey families of Guernsey county, Ohio, was born in the parish of Saint Samson, island of Guernsey, in Europe, June 29, 1770, and was married to Anne, or Nancy Birchard, a daughter of James Birchard and Esther Gallienne, of the parish of La Quartie, in the year 1789, to whom were born four sons and two daughters, Thomas, David, Peter B., Moses, Nancy and Rachel, all of whom were born in the island of Guernsey.
     In the year 1806, when all Europe was under arms and the eagles of the first Napoleon were spreading from kingdom to kingdom, and kings and crowns were at his disposal, the island of Guernsey, in the English channel, between the two great contending powers, was made the rendezvous for the troops of England and her allies.  The inhabitants were compelled to supply the troops with provisions, and "press-gangs" were over-running the island, pressing all able bodied men into the English service.  Thomas Sarchet, a philanthropist and Christian, opposed to war, resolved to seek a home in the New World of the West.  The old ancestral home, the home of Victor Hugo, the French republican, who would not follow the lead of the "man of December" during his exile, was disposed of, and in May, 1806, Thomas, John and Peter Sarchet and Daniel Ferbrache, a brother-in-law, with their families, boarded a fishing smack at Saint Petersport, bound for a Jersey port, where they were to take passage in an English emigrant ship bound for Norfolk, Virginia.  On the voyage to Jersey the smack was boarded by a "press-gang" and two young men named Simmons, who were passengers bound for America, were taken from the boat.  On arriving at Jersey, Thomas Sarchet appeared before the governor of the island and demanded the immediate release of the two young men, which he succeeded in obtaining.  This is mentioned to show a distinguished trait of his character - a heart that went out after the distressed and oppressed..
     The English ship, commanded by Captain McCrandal, a son-in-law of Sire Peter Sarchet, was convoyed by an English man-of-war out of the English channel into the ocean until it was thought the ship was safe from the French cruisers, when the farewell and lucky journey was extended and the ship and escort parted.  After being a few days out, a French cruiser was sighted in full pursuit.  A canvas had been prepared for such an emergency, and soon the name of the ship was covered by "The Eliza of Boston" and the American Jack proudly floated to the breeze.  The French cruiser not being aware of the ruse, and the United States and France being on good terms, gave up the chase.  The ocean voyage was calm and pleasant, without any unusual occurrence, excepting the death of a child of the Ferbrach family, the body being wrapped in a sheet and consigned to the ocean, after the impressive burial service of the Episcopal church had been read by the captain, to await the day when "the sea shall give up its dead."
     The landing was made at Norfolk, June 3, 1806, and shipping taken for Baltimore, Maryland.  At that city, wagons, horses and equipments for the overland journey were procured, and they passed out of Baltimore June 16th, the sun then being in total eclipse.  The point of destination in the west was Cincinnati, Ohio.  The journey over the mountains was a long and tiresome one, beneath the hot, sultry sun of July and August.  Arriving at Cambridge, August 14, 1806, the town being just laid out and the underbrush cut off Main street a consultation was had with the proprietors of the town, Jacob Gomber and Zaccheus A. Beatty, which resulted in a determination to stop and settle.  A brush tent was hastily built near the spring, on land in what is now known as Lofland addition to Cambridge, here "their wanderings were o'er."
     Thomas Sarchet purchased lot number 58, corner of Main and Vine streets, as then known, and at once began the erection of a hewed log house, which was completed in the summer of 1807, and is still standing (October, 1910).  It is the oldest landmark of the pioneer settlement in Cambridge, it having been weather boarded, however, which greatly preserved it intact all these years - one hundred and three.  There pioneer Sarchet lived the remainder of his days, dying April 21, 1837, aged sixty-seven years, and there also his good wife resided until her death, April 2, 1849, aged eighty-three years.
     A number of years before his death Mr. Sarchet lost almost entirely the use of his limbs and had to be carried to his church, a duty that was cheerfully performed by his religious brethren, as a tribute to his worth and their esteem for the old father of the church whose great delight was in communion with the saints.  He sang with rapturous delight one of the old Methodist hymns:

"My latest sun is sinking fast,
My race is nearly run."

     The funeral services of Thomas Sarchet and Anne Sarchet were conducted by Rev. Cornelius Springer, with whom they had fellowshipped, both in the "Old Side" and "Radical" church.  He died early in life; his children all lived to be three score and ten.
     Thomas Sarchet was not a man of leisure; he was a busy man - a man before whose strong arm the "wilderness was made an habitation, and the desert to rejoice and blossom as the rose."  He began to take hold of such enterprises as the necessities of a new country required.  He made a journey to Pittsburg with pack horses to procure salt.  He made a journey to Philadelphia, for store goods, and opened out the first store in Cambridge in the spring of 1808.  Prior to this he had leased the "saline lands," at Chandlersville, Muskingum county, from the state of Ohio, and there began the manufacture of salt.  These saline springs had been used by the Indians, with their rude implements, for salt making, which led to the reservation by the state.  He continued to make salt from these springs until about the close of the war of 1815, when he bored the old Sarchet well, where he owned a section and a half of land, and continued to manufacture salt until the fuel gave out and the works were abandoned.  This was an artesian well.  The water was forced twenty feet above the surface by gas and flowed many years.  While engaged at the salt works at Chandlersville a nephew, Daniel Ferbrache, fell into the "cat-hole," and was so badly burned that his death followed in a few days.  An account of his sufferings, Christian resignation and triumphant death, published in the Methodist Magazine, from the pen of Thomas Sarchet, entitled "Passing Through the Fire," was read with interest and largely copied into the secular papers of the day, as showing how well Christians could die.
     Strength and agility were traits prided in by the pioneer settlers, and it was not unusual for reputed "bullies" to engage in the then manly (now brutal) sport of the prize ring; but no bully ever bantered Thomas Sarchet.  He was known as the "strong man," and was said to have carried on a wager, upon his back, one thousand pounds, from his dray into a mill at Saint Petersport, Guernsey.  At house-raisings and log-raisings, when the weight seemed too heavy for the force applied, his brave "Ho, boys, heave." meant the log must move.
     A member of the Wesleyan connection of the church in Guernsey, and a Licensed exhorter, he brought with him and his family the nucleus of the Methodist Episcopal church  of Cambridge, organized from the "French Class," of which he was the leader, by the Rev. James Watts, in 1808.  His house became the place for preaching, and his home and hospitality was open and free to the horseback itinerant of the early church.  Many of the great men of the church, of sacred memory, partook of his bounty, and reposed in quiet and security beneath his hospitable roof.  Among the number may be named Bishops McKendree, Hedding, Soule, Waugh, Hamline, Morris and J. B. Finley, John P. Durbin, Charles Elliott, James Quinn, David Young and others whose names have been forgotten.
     When "mutual rights," the rock that split in twain the Methodist Episcopal church, began to be agitated, opposed as he had been to the kingly prerogative in the old country, he became an advocate of lay delegation and against the tenure for life of the office of bishops, and when the final split came he went into the new organization, and, in a large measure, built the first Methodist Protestant church, at his own expense, in Cambridge, in the year 1832, and continued in it, as he had been in the old church, a leader and a pillar.  His reason for leaving the "Old side" church, as it was called during those heated days of controversy, and connection with the "Radicals," as the new organization was styled, he had published by John Hersh, then editor of the Guernsey Times, and circulated throughout the places where the disturbing question was most agitated.  His reasons were based on the republican idea of equality and fraternity, with no privileged sect.  But, like all reformers, he lived in advance of his days, and as all that was demanded then has become a part of the polity of the Methodist Episcopal church of today, except the life tenure of bishops, his reasons, which he bequeathed as a legacy to his children may be accepted as not coming from a fanatic without reason.
     The fruit trees planted in Cambridge were carried on horseback by him from the Putnam nursery at Marietta, where he procured seed and planted a nursery, from which the older orchards of Guernsey county were derived.
     He held no civil office higher than road supervisor.  He lived and died enjoying the fullest confidence of the people in his honesty and integrity of character, and it came to be a saying, "If Thomas Sarchet says so, it must be true."  He had no blot upon his character, unless the necessities of the pioneers in converting their surplus grain into alcoholic liquors in order to secure a market, might be called a blot, - when ministers and laymen drank from the same bowl, - for he was a brewer of beer and a distiller of whiskey.
     As the pioneer, he was followed in 1807 by James Birchard, William Ogier, Thomas Naftal, Thomas Lenfesty, Daniel Hubert, Sire Peter Sarchet and John Marquand, with their families, and John Robin, Peter, John and Nicholas Toroade, Nicholas Poedwin, Peter Corbet, Nicholas Sarchet, and Peter Langley, young men.
     The following is a roster of the family of Pioneer Thomas Sarchet:
     Thomas
, born July 2, 1790; married Catherine Marquand; sons, Solomon, Thomas Y., Charles M.; daughters, Nancy, Anne, Martha Matilda, Maria, Lucinda.
     Nancy
, or Anne, born December 5, 1793; married Capt. Cyrus P. Beatty; sons, John A., Thomas Zaccheus; daughters, Nancy B., Ellen, Rachel.
     David
, born November 14, 1797; married Mary Hill, Margaret Britton, Jemima De Hart, Mary Toroade; sons, Simon P., Fletcher B., David T., Alpheus T., Elmer G.; daughters, Nancy, Margaret, Elizabeth and Rachel.
     Peter B.,
born May 6, 1800; married Catherine Holler, Martha McCully, Mary Mitchell; sons, Thomas H., Joseph H., John M., Cyrus T. B., George M.; daughters, Harriet, Lorette.
     Moses
, born April 17, 1803; married Martha Bichard; sons, Cyrus P. B., Thomas, James B., Charles J., John H.; daughters, Nancy B., Rachel M., Harriet J.
     Rachel M.
, born April 14, 1805; married John P. Beatty; son, Zaccheus A.,; daughters, Anne M., Margery L., Sarah K., Ellen A., Harriet A., Margaret M. and Cecelia F.
    
MOSES SARCHET, son of Thomas and Ann Sarchet, natives of the island of Guernsey, was born on that island April 17, 1803.  His parents emigrated to this country in the autumn of 1806, locating at Cambridge.  Moses Sarchet married, on March 23, 1826, Martha Bichard, daughter of James and Rachel Bichard, who were also from the isle of Guernsey, coming here with Thomas Sarchet and his little colony.  Mrs. Moses Sarchet was born in 1805.  The children born to Moses and Martha (Bichard) Sarchet were as follows:  Nancy B., Cyrus P. B., Rachel M., Harriet Josephine, Thomas, James B., Charles J., and John H., eight in all.
     At the death of Cyrus P. Beatty, Mr. Sarchet was appointed clerk of the court of common pleas, which office he held for fifteen years.  He was twice mayor of the city of Cambridge, and for many years a justice of the peace and superintendent of the National pike a number of years.  Was twice nominated for representative of Guernsey county and in each campaign was defeated by the Democratic party, he always voting the Republican ticket.  He was a busy man and yet always found time to entertain his friends in a hospitable manner.  He had hosts of friends, who mourned his death, which occurred September 9, 1890.  He was buried in the cemetery at Cambridge, September 11th.  His wife died March 1, 1887.  At the date of her death there were twenty-eight grandchildren and eleven great-grandchildren.  She was sixty-four years in acceptable member of the Methodist Episcopal church.  As a mother she ordered her household well.  As a neighbor, she  [PICTURE OF MOSES SARCHET] [MRS. MARTHA SARCHET] was kind, obliging and charitable.  At her request, she was buried beside her four sons, and now the husband rests beside her.  She sleeps the sleep of the just.
     CYRUS PARKINSON BEATTY SARCHET was born in the house formerly owned by his grandfather, Thomas, this structure having been built the third one in Cambridge, and, with the exception of three years in his early manhood, his entire life has been spent in this vicinity.  He is the eldest son of Moses and Martha (Bichard) Sarchet, and was born November 17, 1828.  His ancestors were French Huguenots, who at an early day took up their residence on the island of Guernsey.  The original spelling of the name, it is supposed, was Sarchet, the French form of which would be De Sarcha, and some of the family have taken that name.
     About 1670 one Thomas Sarchet, a zealous Catholic, obtained a French Bible, which he persisted in reading against the desires of his parents and the parish priest, and at length was obliged to flee from his country, going to Guernsey, having stopped for some time in the isle of Jersey.  This Bible is mentioned elsewhere in detail in this work, and is still in the hands of the family here.  Thomas married and had two sons, as shown in the accompanying genealogy.  Upon arriving in America in 1806, and at Cambridge, Ohio, August 14th of that year, they found the hamlet just platted.  The father brought a lot at the corner of Wheeling avenue and Seventh street and erected a log cabin, a part of which was still standing in the eighties ,in a good state of preservation.  Within this log house here grandfather, Thomas Sarchet, lived until his death, April 21, 1837, and his wife had died there a dozen years later.  His children all lived to be four score years of age.
     Moses Sarchet, the father of the subject of this memoir, was born April 17, 1803, and died in Cambridge September 10, 1890.  At the age of sixteen years he entered the office of his brother-in-law, C. P. Beatty, as assistant clerk of the court of Guernsey county, holding such office until his marriage in March, 1827, when he removed to his farm four miles north of Cambridge.  For along period he was engaged in the manufacture of salt, at the old Sarchet Salt Works north of this place.  This salt well was in this county, it being constructed early - about 1815 - and kept in active use until 1840.  After the death of Mr. Beatty, Moses returned to fill out his unexpired term, and from September, 1828, to September, 1842, was clerk of the common pleas court of Guernsey county, during which time he was also township clerk, county school examiner, and overseer of the township poor.  In 1847 he was the Whig candidate for representative, but was defeated.
     In 1848 he was appointed resident engineer of the National road, and held the office for three years.  In 1851, when the Central Ohio railroad was being projected, he was an active in the movement to have it pass through Cambridge, being the largest local stockholder in the road and the contractor in its construction.  This contract was completed, but a failure of the company crippled him financially during the remainder of his life.  When the war of the Rebellion came on, he was appointed a member of the military commission of Guernsey county, and was also a draft commissioner during the war.  He served for twelve years as justice of the peace, during this period was also township trustee; was two terms the mayor of Cambridge, and master commissioner of his county.  In his religious faith he was a devout Methodist.  To himself and wife were born five sons and three daughters.  Of this family, only the following four survive.  Col. C. P. B. Sarchet, James B. Sarchet, John H. Sarchet, all three living at Cambridge, Ohio, at  this writing:  Harriet Joseph, now widow of James M. Carson, of Zanesville.
     Of C. P. B. Sarchet it may be said that the earlier years of his title were spent in an uneventful manner, his time being given to farming and the attendance at the district schools of that period.  For a short time he also went to what was known as the Cambridge Academy.  For a number of years he clerked in the local stores of his native city.  In 1855, in company with his father, he commenced the publication of the Guernsey Times, with which he was connected for several years.  About forty years of his industrious life were given to the tilling of the soil and general management of the farm.  During this time he held a number of local official positions, in which he gave time and labor for the public good, without reward or hope thereof.  Perhaps no man in Guernsey county has given as much time to the history of men and events connected with the growth and development of the same, or has given more in answer to enquiries relative to the statistics of the county and state affairs.  During the Civil war Mr. Sarchet performed much provost duty, looking after soldiers who were away on furlough, and was also appointed enrolling officer.  In 1863, Governor Tod commissioned him captain and instructed him to organize the militia of this county into three regiments.  After he effected this, he was elected colonel of the First Regiment, a title by which he has since been known.  He took an active part in the John Morgan raid, was  at Chillicothe, and later at Eaglesport, where he crossed the Muskingum river and followed the enemy until the latter were captured near Salineville, Ohio.  For many years Mr. Sarchet was connected with the Guernsey County Agricultural Society, and was president of the Farmers' Institute of the county, and in the nineties was secretary of the soldiers' relief committee.  Politically, he has been allied with the Whig, Republican and Democratic parties.
     He resides just to the east of the city proper, on Wheeling avenue, and with his almost daily trips to the city has covered about a thousand miles each year upon an average, making in the last thirty-five years thirty-five thousand miles - a distance which exceeds going around the globe and half way aback, on foot!
     Mr. Sarchet is a ready writer and has contributed much to the literature of his county and state.  Many years ago he wrote the "Cambridge of Fifty Years Ago."  This was published in the Jeffersonian in serial articles, of great interest.  Along political lines he wrote of the 1840 Whig campaign, including the history of the thirty-three Whigs of the county central committee.  His articles on the Morgan raid give a detailed account of the same, covering his personal recollections of his eight days' ride in the saddle going through Noble, Morgan, Guernsey, Harrison, Belmont, Jefferson and Columbiana counties.  By reason of his special ability as a collector of historic data and biographical knowledge of his fellow citizens of Guernsey county, he was selected to supervise the writing of the 1910 history of the county, which the reader now holds, and no better man could possibly have been selected by the publishers to superintend his task.
     Concerning Colonel Sarchet's domestic relations, let it be stated that he married, on April 24, 1855, Margaret M., daughter of Andrew Moore.  The children born of this union were:  Frank M., deceased; Andrew M.; Inez L., wife of Cyrus F. Wilson; Martha Blanche.
    
In his religious faith, the Colonel is a faithful member of the Methodist Episcopal church, in which for many years he was the treasurer.  In perusing the various newspaper files of this county, the writer of this memoir has found scores and hundreds of valuable historic items from Colonel Sarchet's ready pen.  His knowledge of men and events in this portion of Ohio is indeed wonderful.  In this month (November, 1910) this venerable old gentleman attains his eighty-second birthday.  He ranks high among the plain, unassuming, practical and generous hearted men of his day and generation, and of whom the world has none too many.
SOURCE 1: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911

GEORGE McCLELLAND SECREST.  Success has attended the efforts of George McClelland Secrest, one of the best known agriculturists of Valley township, Guernsey county, because he has worked persistently for at along legitimate lines and has never depended upon anyone else to do either his work or his planning.  He comes from one of the old and excellent families of this county, and he was born on his father's farm, just east of the town of Hartford, in 1864, and there he grew to maturity, assisting with the general work about the place as soon as he was old enough, attending the neighboring schools during the winter months, and he has made farming his chief life work, being very successful in all its phases.  He is the son of William and Mary C. (Buckley) Secrest, a record of whose lives is to be found in this work.
     On Dec. 9, 1887, George M. Secrest was married to Maggie Laughlin, daughter of James and Mary (Secrest) Laughlin, of Pleasant City, this county, whose sketches also appear in this volume.  She was born near Chaswith, Noble county, of an excellent family, well known and highly respected there.  She remained at her parental fireside during her girlhood days and attended the neighboring schools.
     After his marriage George M. Secrest lived on his father's farm, east of Hartford, in fact he has made it his place of abode ever since, and has kept the old place well improved and under a high state of cultivation, tilling the soil in a manner that has caused it to retain its original fertility.  He has kept the dwelling, outbuildings, and fences in good repair and has one of the choice farms of the township, having been very successful not only as a general farmer, but also as a raiser of stock.  He has complete management of the farm since his father became advanced in age.  In connection with farming, he ran a saw-mill very successfully a few years.
     Mr. Secrest has ever taken an abiding interest in county affairs, being a loyal Democrat, and he has very acceptably served his township as trustee for two terms.  He and his wife belong to the Lutheran Church in Hartford.  Their union has been blessed by the birth of three children, Waite L., Guy William and Ralph James.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page
792
HARRISON SECREST - See James Madison Secrest.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 851
JACOB F. SECREST is remembered as a man of fine characteristics and a citizen of a high standard.  He was born in Buffalo township, Noble county, Ohio, in July, 1831, and was the son of Isaac and Mary (Slater) Secrest, the latter being the daughter of John Slater, a Welshman who came to America in an early day and delighted in hunting deer with the Indians.  Isaac Secrest was the son of Jacob Secrest, a German, who came from Virginia to Buffalo township, Noble county, Ohio, in an early day and located there from fifteen to twenty years.  About 1875 Mrs. Secrest inherited a part of a farm west of Pleasant City and Mr. Secrest bought out the other heirs and there they made their home the balance of their lives.  They became the parents of seventeen children, four of whom died in early childhood; thirteen of them are now living, nine sons and four daughters, namely: Charles W. is living on the old home place; Andrew J. lives near the old home; Mary Rosella, wife of Doctor Kackley, of Pleasant City; Ida M., widow of S. A. Bird, lives in Cambridge; William Boone lives near the old home west of Pleasant City; Rebecca J., wife of Pulaski Cubbison, living in the west part of Valley township; Oleetha, wife of Charles S. Messer, lives in Fairview; Curtis lives near the old home; Levi E. lives west of Blue Bell in the edge of Spencer township; Francis M., also lives near the old home; Other B., Noah Homer and John J. A. also live near the old home.
     Politically, Jacob P. Secrest was a Republican and for a number of years ably served as trustee of Valley township.  He was a Mason fraternally, and took an active interest in lodge work, for many years being master of the Pleasant City Lodge.  He also belonged to the chapter of Royal Arch Masons at Caldwell.  He was a member of the Methodist church and was class leader in the same for many years.  The death of this excellent citizen occurred on Mar. 20, 1901.  His widow, now seventy years of age, still lives on the old home place, strong and active for one of her years.  She, too, is a faithful member of the Methodist church.
     Mr. Secrest was the owner of an excellent and well-kept farm of two hundred and sixty acres west of Pleasant City.  About thirty acres of this land has been laid off in town lots and comprises part of the Fairview addition to Pleasant City.  
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 591
JAMES MADISON SECREST.  a man who deserves the great credit which is given him for his success is James Madison Secrest, one of Guernsey county's most prominent and influential citizens, for not a dishonest dollar ever passed through his hands, and his large competence and valuable property have all been accumulated by his own efforts, for he started in life under none to favorable auspices but being a man of indomitable courage and always his own exponent, doing his own thinking and depending upon no one to direct his affairs, he has forged to the front rank of our citizenship despite obstacles ,and has played well his part in the work of upbuilding the locality honored by his citizenship and whose interests he has always had a heart, therefore is eminently deserving of the high esteem in which he is held by all who know him.
     Mr. Secrest was born in Noble county, Ohio, in 1848, and he is the only son of Harrison and Hulda (Thompson) Secrest and the grandson of Isaac and Mary (Slater) Secrest, all prominent in the pioneer life of the Buckeye state.  Harrison Secrest was born in 1822 in what is now the north part of Noble county, Ohio, and there he grew up on a farm which he worked when old enough.  His wife, Hulda Thompson, was the daughter of Abraham and Rachael (McCreary) Thompson, the father born Sep. 3, 1796, and the son of James and Mary (Jackson) Thompson.  James Thompson was born Feb. 20, 1758, and he was the son of Jacob and Annie (Downard) Thompson.  Abraham Thompson came from Fayette county, Pennsylvania, and in his young manhood and settled in the southeast part of what is now Valley township, Guernsey county.  His father came and entered a large quantity of excellent land from the government - in fact, he secured all the most available farming land in that community, and, like the other members of this thrifty family, became well-to-do.
     After the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Harrison Secrest he and she lived in Noble county until the death of the wife, Mrs. Hulda Secrest, on Oct. 14, 1849.  As stated above, their only child was James Madison, the subject.  After the death of his first wife, Harrison Secrest moved to Pleasant City, then called Point Pleasant, and married Elizabeth Allison, daughter of J. B. and Matilda Allison, who came from Greene County, Ohio, and developed a good home here and were highly respected.  The following children were born to Harrison and Elizabeth (Allison) Secrest; Joseph; Nancy Caroline, wife of Noah Larrick; Sarah; Belle, wife of Mr. Kackley of Columbus, Ohio; John; Mary, wife of John Stranathan; William; Martha, wife of Fred Campbell.
     Harrison Secrest
kept a hotel, ran a woolen mill, built a number of houses in Pleasant City, conducted a store awhile - in fact, was one of the most prominent business men of the place for many years and did more, perhaps, for the upbuilding of the town than any other man.  He was an excellent manager, exercised splendid judgment in all his transactions and was always ready to assist in furthering any enterprise making for the general good.  Although he was a loyal Republican, he never aspired to public offices.  He was a member and liberal supporter of the Methodist Episcopal church.  The death of this excellent and highly honored citizen occurred on February 5, 1894.
     James Madison Secrest, of this review, grew to maturity at Pleasant City where he received a fairly good common school education.  He began work in the woolen mill there as a spinner when a young man and he acquired a thorough knowledge of the woolen mill business.  He also conducted a grist mill and saw-mill, and dealt extensively in the lumber business; he built a number of houses in Pleasant City and has been very successful in whatever he has undertaken there.  He also became the owner of over three hundred acres of valuable farming land, a part of which is now laid off in town lots and he is now (1910) selling the fourth addition that he has laid out, these lots having been in great demand from the first owing to their desirable location and the reasonable price asked for them.  Mr. Secrest has also dealt in livestock and has engaged in the butchering of pork, etc.  He is a man of keen discernment and can foresee with remarkable accuracy the out come of a present transaction.  He is a persistent worker and an able manager, and, being honest and straight forward in all the relations of life, he has ever had the confidence and good will of his fellow men.
     Mr. Secrest was married in 1870 to Elizabeth Dyson, daughter of Thomas and Christena Dyson, to which union one son was born, Abraham Thompson Secrest, whose birth occurred on Sept. 14, 1870; he is living Okesa, Oklahoma, where he is engaged in educational work and is at present the Republican candidate for clerk of Osage county, Oklahoma.  This wife and mother was called to her rest on June 5, 1872, and on Dec. 20 1873, Mr. Secrest married Sarah Cochran, of Pleasant City.  Of this union, one child, Blanche, survives.  She has been employed in the Pleasant City post-office for the post fourteen years.  This second wife and mother passed away on Nov. 22, 1878, and on July 2, 1879.  Mr. Secrest was married to Rebecca Frances Young, who was born at Sharon, Noble county, the daughter of James William and Sarah (Robinson) Young.  This union has resulted in the birth of six children, namely: Nellie Ethel married Homer Gander, whose sketch appears herein, and they have four children; Hulda, born Aug. 21, 1881, married Harry Gander and has four children and lies in Pleasant City; Martha Forrest, born Oct. 19, 1883, married Harry Rainey and lives in Newark, Ohio; Arthur Ernest, born Aug. 28, 1886, married Helen Johnson and lives on a farm in Noble county, and they have two children; Mildred Madison, born Dec. 9, 1890, is attending school at Newark; Harvey Raymond, born Jan. 11, 1893, is at home; Huldah belongs to the Daughters of Rebekah and Nellie is a member of the Rebekahs and the Order of the Eastern Star.
     Politically, Mr. Secrest is a Republican and he and his wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal church, and Mrs. Secrest is a member of the Pythian Sisters.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page
850
JAMES W. SECREST.  Among Valley township's worthy families are the Secrests, mention of whom is made elsewhere in this work, so for the present the biographer confines his remarks to one of the best known of this old and honored household, James W. Secrest, who was born near Hartford, Guernsey county, in 1867.  He is the son of William Secrest and wife, of the same locality, whose sketch appears herein.
     Their son, James W., grew to maturity on the home farm, on which he worked when old enough, remaining under his parental roof until he married, having alternated farm work with schooling in the district schools.  In 1894 he led to the altar Lizzie Mary Laughlin, daughter of James and Mary (Secrest) Laughlin.  See sketch of James Laughlin.  She was born near Pleasant Grove, in the east part of Noble county, and when she was about seven years old her parents moved to Pleasant City, later moving to one mile east of that town, where she attended school and lived until her marriage.
     Since his marriage Mr. Secrest has followed coal mining for the most part.  He has also had a farm in partnership with his brother, George M. Secrest, the place consisting of two hundred and twenty-eight acres of excellent land, which they kept in a high state of cultivation and did well with.
     Mr. Secrest built his present cozy home, just east of Hartford, in 1895.  It is a substantial and pleasant place, and he and his wife are known to be people of hospitality to their wide circle of friends who delight to gather at their home and pass many sunny ours of pleasure.  Their union has been blessed by three children, namely: Clyde died when six months old; Hattie was born Nov. 30, 1899; the youngest was a boy who died in early infancy.
     Fraternally, Mr. Secrest is a member of the knights of Pythias at Pleasant City, this county, and he and his wife belong to the Lutheran Church at Hartford, standing high in the congregation there and being faithful in their support of the same.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 808
NOAH ELWOOD SECREST.  A well known and highly respected member of the Secrest family, one of the most prominent in Guernsey county since the pioneer days, is Noah Elwood Secrest, of Hartford, Valley township, who was born about one and one-half miles east of that town on Dec. 9, 1836.  He is the son of John and Elizabeth (Clark) Secrest, the father born in Hampshire county, Virginia, the son of Henry and Elizabeth (Spaid) Secrest.  The family emigrated to Guernsey county when John was eleven months old in December, 1811, his birth having occurred on January 3d of that year.  Henry Secrest also had a brother named John.  The father of Henry and John Secrest came here and secured two farms for his sons Henry and John, then went back to Virginia, after locating his sons.  About the end of the war of 1812, Henry enlisted for service, but peace was declared by the time he reached Zanesville.  Henry was the father of William Secrest mentioned in a separate sketch.  He was also the father of John the subject's grandfather,  John Secrest grew up on the home farm, southeast of where Hartford now stands.  There were no roads in this locality when the family first came, only the Marietta trail, a "blazed" road through the woods.  They settled here in typical pioneer fashion, clearing a little space on which to build their cabin, John remained on the home place until he was married, on Jan. 3, 1833, to Elizabeth Clark, on his twenty-first birthday, and on that day he wore the first "store bought" shirt in his life, having always worn those woven and made by his mother.  Elizabeth Clark was born in Pennsylvania and was the daughter of Benjamin Clark, the maiden name of her mother having been Gregory.  The Clark and Secrest families came to this county about the same time, having met enroute while stopping over night between Wheeling and Barnesville, and on that night the two babies, John Secrest and Elizabeth Clark, were put to sleep in the same bed; about twenty years afterwards they were married.
     After his marriage John Secrest located one and one-half miles east of Hartford on a part of the original Secrest farm and there made his home the rest of his life.  The subject was one of nine children, namely: Henry G., Benjamin C., Noah E., Mary Elizabeth, Michael Spaid, Samuel Frederick, Ebenezer Finley, Margaret Casaline, John died in early infancy.
     The father of these children was a man of influence in his community and the possessor of commendable traits, so that he was highly honored by all who knew him.  He was trustee of his township even while Noble county was a part of Guernsey county.  After the county line  was established as it is today, he was trustee or assessor of Valley township nearly all his life.  He was always a Democrat, and was active in party affairs, having attended the conventions, taking a general interest in public affairs of the community, and was well known all over the county.  His death occurred on Jan. 29, 1882, his wife having preceded him in Sept., 1877.  They both belonged to the Evangelical Lutheran church, in which he was an active member and an officer for many years.  His father was a charter member of the church.
     Noah E. Secrest grew up on the farm where he was born and lived there until 1907; he still owns the place, which consists of about one hundred and fifty acres.  He was first married on Dec. 29, 1860, to Eliza Jane Spriggs.  Her parents, Morris D. and Catharine (Poole) Spriggs, came from Pennsylvania to Belmont county, Ohio, where Mrs. Secrest was born, then moved to near Mt. Ephraim, Noble county, thence to Valley township, this county, where Mrs. Secrest grew to maturity.  Her father was a tailor in early life.  The first union resulted in the birth of four children: Mary Rosetta died in her fourteenth year; Ernest P., who lives on the father's farm east of Hartford, married and lives at Lima, Allen county, Ohio, where he is engaged in the practice of law; he is a member of the Democratic state central committee, and clerk of the board that is building the new insane asylum in Allen county, at Lima; he and his wife have one little daughter.  Martha Olive is the youngest of four children born of Mr. Secrest's first union.  She married E. W. Matthews, Jr., of Cambridge, whose record appears herein.  Mr. Secrest's first wife was called to her rest on Oct. 24, 1877, and on Jan. 13, 1881, he married Mrs. Adeline (Bryan) Rose.  She was the daughter of David N. and Amelia (Patterson) Bryan, and she was born and reared in Cambridge, Ohio, in which city her parents were also born and reared.  David N. Bryan was the son of Thomas and Joan Bryan, his parents having come from Washington county, Pennsylvania in the early days and settled at Cambridge.  Mrs. Secrest's father was a soldier in the Civil War, being a member of Company B, Seventy-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry; he was in Sherman's march through Georgia and died from the effects of his service in the army.  Four children were born to Mr. Secrest's second marriage, namely: Arthur Clark, who is in the superintendent's office of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company at Marietta, married Marie Faris and they have one son: Donald G. and Carroll Eugene are twins; the former is in New Mexico in the superintendent's roll of a coal company; the latter died in 1903 in his eightieth year; Raymond B., who lives in Hartford, married Linnae Spaid; he runs a motor at the Hartford mine.
     In 1907 Mr. Secrest bought a beautiful and cozy home in Hartford and retired from active work.  He and his wife belong to the Lutheran church in Hartford and are prominent in church and social circles.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 739
NOAH ELWOOD SECREST.  Much is to be found within the covers of this volume regarding the Secrest family, but too much could not well be said, owning to the fact that its members have been prominent in Guernsey County in various walks of life from the early pioneer days and they have borne reputations of high grade citizens, unassailable and irreproachable, and have played well their parts in the drama of civilization.  A worthy representative of this old and influential family is Noah Elwood Secrest, of Valley township, of whom the following paragraphs deal.  He was born on his father's old home farm a short distance east of Hartford, this township, on June 9, 1855.  He is the son of William and Mary (Buckley) Secrest, highly esteemed old residents of Valley township, who are mentioned in a separate sketch in this work.
     Noah E. Secrest grew to maturity on the home farm on which he worked during his boyhood and youth and attended the district schools.  He followed farming most of the time, but also did some teaming, remaining with his father until he was thirty-four years of age.  He was married in 1879 to Mary R. Jackson, who was born and reared at Pleasant City, this township, the daughter of Samuel and Virginia (Trott) Jackson, a well known and highly respected family here.  This union has resulted in the birth of four children, namely:  Carl Dwight, who lives at Belle Valley, this county, working as a foreman for a construction gang at the mines; Ella Violet and William Jackson are at home; Melba Virginia at attending school at Pleasant City.
     In 1888 Mr. Secrest brought a farm of one hundred and four acres one mile south of Hartford, where he has since made his home.  The house, a cosy, substantial and attractive one, stands on top of a ridge, overlooking the valley, commanding a view of several towns and a most inspiring panorama of field and farm as well.  From it the lights of Cambridge may be seen at night and in another direction one can see at a distance of eighteen miles.  He has a most excellent farm which he has brought up to a high state of improvement and cultivation and which is one of the choice places of the township.  He carries on general farming and stock raising in a most successful manner and is regarded as one of the leading agriculturists of his community.
     Mr. Secrest is a loyal Democrat and he is more or less active in local party affairs, having served his township as trustee in a most acceptable manner.  He is a member of the Knights of Pythias at Pleasant City, and in his religious relations he holds membership with the Lutheran congregation, while Mrs. Secrest belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 713
WILLIAM SECREST.  One of the grand old men of Valley township is William Secrest, whose long and useful life has been spent in his home community, where he has labored to goodly ends, not only for himself and family, but also for his neighbors and the general public, and now that the twilight of his age has begun to envelop him he can look backward over a well spent life and forward to a glorious inheritance.
     Mr. Secrest was born a short distance east of Hartford, this township, Feb. 6, 1828, and he is the seventh child of a family of nine children born to Henry and Elizabeth (Spaid) Secrest.  Henry Secrest was born Aug. 18, 1785, in southern Pennsylvania and he moved into Virginia early in life, where he married Elizabeth Spaid.  She was the daughter of George Spaid and wife and was born in Virginia on July 22, 1790.  Her father had been a Hessian soldier, brought to this country by the British during the Revolutionary war to fight in the Continental army.  He was captured at the battle of Trenton and was taken to Virginia, where he and a number of his comrades were colonized, and he remained there and married.  Three children were born to Henry Secrest and wife while living in Virginia, John, Abram and George W.  This sterling family emigrated to Guernsey county, Ohio, probably as early as 1820, and Henry Secrest entered a tract of land south of where the town of Hartford now stands, becoming the owner of two hundred and twenty-eight acres, which he brought up to a high state of improvement, having begun life in typical pioneer fashion, when the country was covered with vast native woods through which roamed wild beasts, and even the foot prints of the red men had not been obliterated from the soil.  He became prosperous and owned considerable land in addition to his home farm, and he played an important role in the early development of this section of the country.  After coming here six other children were born into his family, namely: Michael, Frederick, Martha, William, of this review; Elizabeth and Valentine.
     William Secrest grew to maturity on his father's farm, which he helped develop, and he has lived to see this vicinity grow from the wilderness to its present thriving condition, having taken a prominent part in the same, and it is, indeed, interesting to hear him recount reminiscences of the early days here.
     On Sept. 6, 1854, Mr. Secrest was married to Mary C. Buckley, a native of Noble county, Ohio, and the daughter of John Buckley and wife.  Seven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Secrest, namely:  Noah E. is mentioned elsewhere in this work; Abram lives in Senecaville; Violet L. married O. F. Hawes, and died in February, 1909; Otis D. lived in Newark until his death, Oct. 15, 1904; Emma L. married Charles Scott and lives between Hartford and Byesville in the north edge of Valley township; George McClelland, who is mentioned elsewhere in this work, lives on the home place near Hartford; James W. lives northeast of Hartford, where he has a small farm.
     The death of the mother of these children occurred on Dec. 13, 1904.  She was an excellent woman, a member of the Lutheran church at Hartford, of which her husband is still a faithful member.
     William Secrest still lives on his fine farm of two hundred and twenty-eight acres, east of Hartford, which is one of the most desirable places in the township.  He has kept it in splendid condition and has been very successful as a farmer and stockman.  This place has been in the Secrest family ever since it was secured from the government only one deed having been made to it.
     William Secrest has very ably served his township in various public capacities, such as assessor for several years and as trustee several terms.  He is a loyal Democrat.  When a young man he taught school three winters, two terms in Valley township and one in Buffalo township, Noble county.  With that exception he has been a tiller of the soil all his life.  He is a man whom to know is to accord the highest respect owing to his many splendid characteristics.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 795
BENJAMIN F. SHEPPARD.   To the average individual so-called success is the reward of persistent striving and grim determination.  It is sometimes gained through rivalry and competition, and frequently is attained by the aid of preference and influence.  So powerful and necessary seem these aids that the one who does not command them is often disheartened at his prospects of success.  Benjamin F. Sheppard, president of the Cambridge Bank, and one of the leading men of Guernsey county in financial circles, seems to have acquired the knowledge of how to achieve true success in the various walks.  He holds worthy prestige in business circles, and has always been distinctively a man of affairs and wields a wide influence among those with whom is lot has been cast, having won definite in whatever he has turned his attention to and at the same time has shown what a man with lofty principles, honesty of purpose and determination can accomplish when actuated with high motives and unselfish ideals.
     Mr. Sheppard was born Nov. 1, 1864, in Kirkwood township, Belmont county, Ohio.  He is the son of Dr. I. H. and Harriet (Grimes) Sheppard, an old and influential family, these parents still living in the vicinity mentioned above, the father being one of the best known practitioners in that county, having practiced for many years, but he is now living retired and has accumulated a very comfortable competency, becoming the owner of large land interests in Guernsey county.  He was the promoter of the Union Telephone Company of Fairview, which connects Fairview, Barnesville, Wheeling, West Virginia, Freeport and St. Clairsville and he was manager of the company for a period of nine years, his judicious management resulting in an extensive enterprise being built up.  The company then sold out to a telephone company of Wheeling.  Then Mr. Sheppard  turned his attention to his large estate and to banking interests.  He was one of the prime promoters of Cambridge Bank, organized under the banking laws of Ohio, in April, 1905.  He was the first president of this institution and has held this position to the present time, managing its affairs in a manner entirely satisfactory to all concerned and building up one of the safest and most popular banking houses in eastern Ohio.  He is essentially an organizer and promoter by nature, is a man of keen business acumen and discernment and makes few mistakes in his deductions and inductions.  He is broad-minded, liberal and far-seeing, being a conservative banker, conducting his bank along safe yet liberal lines at all times.  In addition to his banking interests he has large real estate interests and other financial interests of a private nature.
     Politically, Mr. Sheppard is a Republican and he has long taken an abiding interest in public matters, but has never been an office seeker.    He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church and he has been a steward in the local church for many years, serving as trustee prior to that.  They are active church workers and liberal in their support of the church.
     Mr. Sheppard was married on Nov. 20, 1895, to Leanna Giffee, daughter of Benjamin and Lida (Kannon) Giffee.  Her father was a prominent farmer of Guernsey county, whose death occurred in 1902.  Mrs. Giffee is still living.  Mr. Giffee was eighty-two years of age at the time of his death; he was active in business and a man of sterling character and worth.  He was a devout member of the Methodist Episcopal church.  Mrs. Sheppard is a lady of culture and refinement and is devoted to her home.  Like her husband, she enjoys the friendship of a wide circle of acquaintances.  This union has been graced by the birth of one son, Josiah B. G. Sheppard, now eleven years of age.
     Mr. and Mrs. Sheppard became residents of Cambridge in November, 1902.  They have a modern, attractive and commodious home on the corner of South Eleventh street and Wheeling avenue.  It is one of the most pretentious residences in the city and is known as a place where old-time hospitality and good cheer ever prevail.  The Sheppard family is prominent in commercial, social, church and educational circles in Cambridge and Guernsey county.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page
470
WILLIAM L. SIMPSON.  The gentleman whose name heads this review is one of the leading farmers in his community in Guernsey county, having long maintained his home in Adams township; he is also known as a public official of high character.  Tireless energy and honesty of purpose are the chief characteristics of the man.
     William L. Simpson was born on June 8, 1835, in Brooke county, West Virginia, and he is the son of Robert and Margaret (Lyons) Simpson.  The father was also born in Brooke county, West Virginia, of Scotch parentage; the mother was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania.  these parents came to Tuscarawas county, Ohio, in 1837 and engaged in farming, and in 1851 they moved to Guernsey county to a farm where their son, William L., of this review, now resides, and where he has since lived.  The father owned one hundred and sixty acres.  He was a member of the United Presbyterian church, which was organized in 1858 in Allegheny, Pennsylvania, between the a old Associate church and Associate Reformed, he being an elder in the Associate Reformed church, and a lay delegate to the general assembly in 1858 when the two churches united.  He was a devout churchman and a citizen of high character.  The death of the elder Simpson occurred in March, 1894, and that of his wife on February 17, 1874.  They are buried in the Lebanon cemetery.  They were the parents of two children, a son and a daughter, the latter, Elizabeth, dying in her twenty-fifth year; the son, William L., of this review, is now the only survivor.
     William L. Simpson grew to maturity on the home farm, on which he worked during the summer and attended the neighboring schools in the winter time.  He later attended Madison College at Antrim, Guernsey county, after which he engaged in farming, which he has made his life work and at which he has been very successful.  He was married on June 2, 1864, to Mary McGonagle, daughter of James and Margaret (Turner) McGonagle, who lived on a farm in the same neighborhood in Adams township, this county.  He parents were good people, members of the Untied Presbyterian church; they are both now deceased and are buried in the Lebanon cemetery.  Mr. and Mrs. Simpson have no children.
     After his marriage Mr. Simpson continued to live on the old home place and engaged in farming, him farm of well improved and well tilled land now consisting of one hundred and sixty acres, on which he carries on general farming and stock raising.  He has a very comfortable and well located home.
     Mr. Simpson is a Democrat in politics, and although the county gave George H. Nash, Republican candidate for governor in 1899, a large majority, Mr. Simpson, who was a candidate for the Legislature on  the Democratic ticket, was elected by a majority of over six hundred, which was certainly evidence of his universal good standing and a high compliment to his popularity with all classes, irrespective of party alignment.  He made such this office in 1901, thus serving four years as a member of the seventy-fourth and of his constituents and proved to be a well informed man on current issues of the day and one deeply interested in the welfare of the public.  He has also served as treasurer of Adams township, and he has been a member of the township school board for a period of thirty-five years, having always been deeply interested in educational matters and he has done much to promote local educational standards.  He and his wife, who is a woman of many estimable traits, are members and faithful supporters of the Lebanon congregation of the United Presbyterian church, the church of his fathers, and, like them, he, too, is an elder and has frequently been a lay delegate to the general assemblies of his church.  He is a man of fine mind and splendid attainments, and is always influence for good in the church.  Sunday school and in fact everything that pertains to the general good of his community, county and state, and is deserving of hte high rank he holds as a leading citizen of Guernsey county.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vol. 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page
ERNEST W. SMITH.  It is safe to say that no one is more familiar with the mining region of Guernsey county than Ernest W. Smith, the present able and well known assistant general superintendent of the Imperial Mining Company's mines and those of the Vivian Collieries Company.  He is popular with a large acquaintance, being a man of kindly disposition, pleasant, and honest and thoroughly trustworthy, admired for his uprightness and business integrity.
     Mr. Smith was born near Elba, Noble County, Ohio, July 27, 1871, and is the son of Jerry R. Smith and wife, records of whose lives are to be found on another page of this work.  Suffice it to say here that they were of representative pioneer families and highly respected.  When the son was about fourteen years of age he began working in the coal mines about Byesville and has been here ever since, making himself familiar with the various phases of the work in this field.  While working at the old Central mine he proved of such value to the company that he was made foreman, which position he held with credit to himself for about four years, beginning about 1895.  During the next six or seven years he was hoisting engineer at the mines, after which he was made superintendent of the Ohio No. 2 mine, west of Byesville.  About two years later he was made assistant general superintendent of all mines owned by the Imperial Mining Company and the Vivian Collieries Company, which responsible position he still holds, giving entire satisfaction in every detail of the work.  He has charge of four large mines and about six hundred men, which position he has held about four years.  He understands thoroughly every phase of mining work and he is very faithful in the discharge of his duties.  He understands well how to handle men, keeps everything under an excellent system, and is a very important factor in the vast interests of the above mentioned companies.
     Mr. Smith was married in 1896 to Nora Linkhorn, daughter of Joseph Linkhorn and wife and the sister of L. S. Linkhorn, county treasurer to  Guernsey county, to whose sketch the reader is respectfully referred to the complete ancestry of the Linkhorn family.  One winsome daughter, Helen, has been born to Mrs. and Mrs. Smith.
     Fraternally, Mr. Smith belongs to the Masonic order, having attained the Knight Templar degree, and he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church and faithful in their attendance and support of the same.  Mr. Smith has served four years in the village council and three years as mayor.  He and his wife have a wide circle of friends here and stand high in the social life about Byesville.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 724
THOMAS AQUILA SPAID.  A prosperous and well known business man of Pleasant City, of which place he is a native, and a descendant of a family long resident in this region is Thomas Aquila Spaid, who was born at Pleasant City, Guernsey county, Ohio, on August 28, 1864, the son of John Wesley and Elizabeth (Dyson) Spaid.
    
The Dyson family were among the first settlers in Valley township and the postoffice at Pleasant City was formerly called Dyson.  The family was well known and some of their descendants are still living in Valley township and are of high standing in their community.  Of the Spaid family, it is said that they are descended from a Hessian soldier who located in Virginia after the Revolution.  George Spaid was the first of the family to come to Guernsey county.  He was a farmer and large landowner in Hampshire county, Virginia, near Winchester, and in 1819 came by wagon and located here, and owned a large amount of land in Valley township.  He had a son, William, who was nineteen years old when the family came here from Virginia, and who married Elizabeth Secrest, the daughter of Jacob Secrest, also of Hampshire county, Virginia, near Winchester.  She came here with her parents about the same time the Spaid family came, when the county was still wild and mainly unsettled.  Jacob Secrest was a large landowner, and both the Secrest and Spaid families were prominent in the public, business and social life of the community.
     William Spaid was also a farmer in Valley township, owning many acres, and a successful man during the years of his activity.  He took much interest in fine horses.  John Wesley Spaid was one of the ten children of William Spaid.  He married Elizabeth Dyson, and was a tanner, owning and operating a large tannery on the south side of Main street in Pleasant City, half a square east of the railroad, on the present site of Grossman's department store.  He also ran a shoe shop, and made shoes, saddles and harness.
     Thomas Aquila Spaid was one of twelve children, four of whom died in childhood.  The others who are deceased are Mrs. Eliza Jane Waller, who left four children: Olive, who died unmarried, James, who died at about twenty-six years of age, leaving a son and daughter.  The living are:  William Joseph,  of Morristown, Belmont county, Ohio; John Wesley, of Jasper county, Missouri; Charles L., of Joplin, Missouri; Thomas A., and Elverson Luther, a Lutheran minister at Carey, Wyandot county, Ohio.  John W. Spaid died on March 3, 1877, and his wife survived until June, 1900, both being much respected in the community.  Thomas grew up in Pleasant City, and worked at various occupations, in coal mines, on the railroad, etc.  He and his brother in law for five years were in the general mercantile business in Pleasant City.  Since he has added a good line of hardware and has continued in this business, and has prospered and increased his trade greatly.
     Mr. Spaid was married in 1890 to Sonora L. Secrest, the daughter of David and Sarah Jane (Miller) Secrest.  David Secrest was a son of John and Sallie Secrest, who came from Virginia, and is of the same branch of the family as are Noah E. Secrest, Sr., and William Secrest, of Hartford.  Mrs. Spaid was one of thirteen children, and was born and reared near Hartford, Valley township, Guernsey county.  To Mr. and Mrs. Spaid has been born one daughter, Olive Ruth.
     Mr. Spaid is a member of the Knights of Pythias.  He, his wife and his daughter are members of the Lutheran Church, and all are active.  Mr. Spaid has served as Sunday school superintendent, and has been a deacon in the church since the second year of his membership, and began to teach in the Sunday school when only fifteen years old.  He is a thorough Christian, a man of sterling character and spotless integrity, successful in business, and prominent and influential in his community.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 702
ALPHEUS L. STEVENS.  A well known attorney of Cambridge, and the representatives of one of the old and influential families of Guernsey county is Alpheus L. Stevens, whose birth occurred on July 25, 1864, in Londonderry township, this county.  He is the son of James and Ann (Morrow) Stevens, the father a native of Germany and the mother of Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania.  The Stevens family were pioneers here and influential in the affairs of their locality for several generations, James Stevens devoted his life to agricultural pursuits and the very successful in the same, establishing a good home and developing an excellent farm.  Politically, he was a Republican, and while he kept well informed on political and current topics, he was never active in party affairs.  After lives of usefulness and honor, he and his good life companion are sleeping the sleep of the just in the Antrim cemetery.
     Alpheus L. Stevens spent his youth on his father's farm and was found in the fields assisting with the crops at a very early age.  He attended the public schools during the winter months.  Being an ambitious lad, he studied hard and prepared himself for a career at the bar, being duly admitted to practice law in June, 1895.  He opened an office in Cambridge and has been very successful, having built up a very satisfactory clientele.
     Politically, Mr. Stevens is a Republican and he has always been a party worker. Recognizing his ability as a persistent, painstaking attorney and as a public spirited man of affairs, his friends urged his nomination for prosecuting attorney in 1899 and he was duly elected to this office, the duties of which he very faithfully discharged, serving Guernsey county in this capacity for two terms, or a period of six years, in a manner that reflected credit upon himself and to the satisfaction of all concerned.
     On Jan. 24, 1910, Mr. Stevens was appointed postmaster of Cambridge by President Taft, and he assumed the duties of this office on February 4th following.  His selection to this important post has met with general approval.  Mr. Stevens is a Mason and a member of the Presbyterian church.  He is deeply interested in the welfare of his community and county, but is conservative and unassuming in all walks of life.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page
472
 

NOTES:  

 

...

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
GUERNSEY COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights