A Part of Genealogy Express

Welcome to
History & Genealogy


History of Guernsey County, Ohio
by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet
- Illustrated -
Vols. I & 2.
B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana -


  CAPT. ALEXANDER A. TAYLOR.  Guernsey county has produced no more deserving and more honored citizen than the late Capt. Alexander Addison Taylor, who was called to his resting place on May 10, 1908.  He was born on Sept. 18, 1832, in Holmes county, near Killbuck, the fourth son of Mr. and Mrs. Alexander D. Taylor.  His parents had removed to Killbuck from Goshen township, Belmont county, and soon after the birth of this son moved back to Belmont county, soon to remove to Oxford township, Guernsey county, on the National pike, three miles west of Fairview and one and a half miles east of Middleton, while A. A. Taylor was still in infancy.
     The common schools of Oxford township afforded the educational advantages enjoyed by Captain Taylor.  He afterwards attended Madison College, at Antrim, along with his brother, Joseph D. Taylor.  His education secured, A. A. Taylor for a number of years was a school teacher and taught at a number of places in Guernsey, Noble and Belmont counties.  He lived the life of the average farmer boy, but managed to gain a fair education and in his youth was regarded as unusually ambitious to win a place of usefulness among his fellows.  The family removed to Cambridge when the place was but a hamlet, and were prominent in its industrial, political, social and religious life.
     At the breaking out of the Civil war, Mr. Taylor was teaching in Noble county, Ohio, near the Baltimore & Ohio railroad, and, as he expressed it, "where I could hear the passing trains loaded with Union soldiers for the front on the Potomac and the Cumberland."  He continued, "The measles broke out in my school, and that, with the Union yell, was too much for me and I soon made up my mind to become a soldier."  He enlisted on May 27, 1862, in the three months service, in Company A, Eighty-fifth Ohio Infantry, and was mustered out on Sept. 23, 1862, at Camp Chase, Columbus, Ohio, with the rank of first lieutenant.  He entered the three years' service on Aug. 23, 1862, thirty days before he was mustered out of the three months' service, the mustering out being delayed on account of the new recruits in Camp Chase needing assistance of the older recruits.  His three years' enlistment was in Company H, One Hundred and Twenty-second Ohio Infantry, and he served until July 11, 1865.
     While his regiment was at Winchester, Virginia, with General Milroy's command, on June 13, 1863, Lieutenant Taylor was in charge of a pocket post far to the front.  Elwell's Confederate corps of fifteen thousand men attacked Milroy, who had about six thousand men, at nine A. M. Saturday, June 13th, and the story of that gallant struggle has often been told.  General Milroy on Sunday night decided to withdraw his forces, but his pickets could not be notified, and so Taylor and his men were captured.  He was taken to Libby prison with the late Bishop C. C. McCabe, then chaplain of the One Hundred and Twenty-second Ohio, and remained a prisoner until October, 1864, when he escaped and rejoined his regiment.  He was appointed adjutant on Nov. 14, 1864, but did not assume the duties and took command of Company A.  He was commissioned a captain on Mar. 16, 1865.  Captain Taylor's military service was highly creditable.  He was mustered into the Grand Army of the Republic in 1885, and became the first commander of Cambridge Post No. 343.  He became prominent in the order, served in the national council of administration from Ohio for several terms, was at one time a member of  the national committee on pensions, and at the time of his death was a member of the executive committee.  He was several times prominently mentioned as a candidate for grand commander of the national organization.  Captain Taylor was a member of the Ohio Commandery of the Loyal Legion.
     During the early part of the war, and while he was teaching school, Mr. Taylor served as surveyor of Guernsey county.  In April, 1862, the family moved from the old home farm near Middleton, in Oxford township, to Cambridge, and ever afterwards that city was his home.  After the close of the war Captain Taylor read law, but was never admitted to the bar.  He was a Republican in politics, and a loyal supporter of the party and able advocate of its principles.  In Oct., 1866, he was elected auditor of Guernsey county, and in 1868 re-elected, and by an extension of his second term served in all four years and eight months.
     Until his death Captain Taylor was prominent in public and commercial life in Cambridge.  For thirty-six years he was connected with the Guernsey National Bank, one of the leading financial institutions of Guernsey county, and for the most of these years acted as cashier.  is bank grew in prestige and financial gain, and its strength was known within a wide radius.  Captain Taylor was active and useful in public affairs, and his voice and vote were always in favor of needed improvements and progress.  His word was his bond and his identification with a movement or institution meant its success.  He was treasurer of the committee that instituted the Guernsey County Monumental Association and to his efforts in credited much of the work of securing the beautiful monument that stands at the entrance of the court house square.  Captain Taylor was prominent in establishing and in conducting the Cambridge Chautauqua Assembly.  Nearly all of his life he was a member of the First Methodist church, and was for many years one of its board of trustees.
     The Captain was one of a large family, several of whom gained prominence and distinction.  William P., Dr. J. Clarkson, Hon. Joseph D., J. Byron, Wilson Shannon and Col. David D. were brothers of Captain Taylor, who preceded him to death.  Dr. G. Kennon, of Cincinnati, and Hon. T. Corwin, of Washington, are surviving brothers, who, together with a deceased sister, Mrs. Sarah Taylor Petty, the wife of the Rev. A. L. Petty, of Duncan Falls, comprised the family of so many distinguished people.  The Hon. Joseph D. Taylor had represented the district in Congress; David D. were brothers of Captain Taylor, who preceded him to death.  Dr. G. Kennon, of Cincinnati, and Hon. T. Corwin, of Washington, are surviving brothers, who, together with a deceased sister, Mrs. Sarah Taylor Petty, the wife of the Rev. A. L. Petty, of Duncan Falls, comprised the family of so many distinguished people.  The Hon. Joseph D. Taylor had represented the district in Congress; David D. was the widely known editor of the Guernsey Times, and all of the brothers were progressive and enterprising, and each left his impress upon the community.
     On Jan. 18, 1870, Captain Taylor was married to Ella McCracken, of Cambridge, who survives him.  No children were born to this union, but Captain and Mrs. Taylor were foster parents to Charles, William and Lida Taylor the children of William P. Taylor, a brother.  Their home life was ideal and showed the realization of the best and divines teachings concerning marriage.  The Taylor residence was always open to a wide circle of relatives and friends and was the scene of many a social gathering. 
     Alexander A. Taylor lived a good life and the world is a richer because of his more than sixty years of usefulness in the broad field in which he labored.  A warm friend, a man among men, unselfish and genial, he left a place not to be filled.  During a long life he had been a robust man, and by temperament sanguine, in habits strictly temperate in all things, optimistic always, he had escaped serious illness, until the attack which carried him off.  The best of attention and highest medical skill then failed to win back his wonted energy, and he fell asleep like a little child and was at rest.
SOURCE 1: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2.  - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 904

David D. Taylor
  DAVID D. TAYLOR.  Few men of Guernsey county were as widely and favorably known as the late David D. Taylor, of Cambridge, who for more than three decades wielded a powerful and potent influence through the medium of the Guernsey Times, long recognized as one of the best edited newspapers in this part of the state.  He was one of the strong and influential citizens whose lives have become an essential part the history of this section of the state and for years his name was synonymous for all that constituted honorable and upright manhood.  Tireless energy, keen perception and honesty of purpose, combined with everyday common sense, were among his chief characteristics and while advancing individual success he also largely promoted the moral and material welfare of his community.
     David D. Taylor was born July 24, 1842, in Oxford township, Guernsey county, Ohio, and came to Cambridge with his parents in 1860.  He led the life of a country land in his youth and until he was eighteen years of age he attended school in that old district which has become a sort of mecca of patriots and statesmen and is celebrated in story and song as "Pennyroyaldom."  Practically a farmer, something of a coal miner and a fairly expert typographer, he had taught a term of school and served four months as a soldier in the Union army, before casting his first vote for Brough as against Vallandigham in 1863.  With a previous training at the Fairview select school of his brother, the late Congressman J. D. Taylor, he took a term at the Cambridge high school with Dr. S. J. Kirkwood, later professor of mathematics in Wooster University, and for time attended a special select school taught in Cambridge by Rev. John S. Speer, D. D.  He was a successful teacher, active in institute and other educational work, one of the four charter members of the Eastern Ohio Teachers' Association, served as school examiner of Guernsey county with Dr. John McBurney and Hon. R. S. Frame; served as coroner of Guernsey county once, and was postmaster of Cambridge for twelve years, first by appointment of General Grant, serving under four Presidents.  In many public matters, in educational affairs, institutes and literary societies he was an organizer and leader.  He was for a long time an officer in the Methodist Episcopal church, and as president of the Guernsey County Sunday School Union for seven years, he conducted large and interesting annual conventions.  The presiding genius and program maker of the Pennyroyal Reunion, he gave that society a state-wide reputation as the greatest of all harvest-home picnics.  And all the while, he was, with brief intervals, connected with the Guernsey Times, the oldest paper in Guernsey county and one of the stanchest of Republican organs; first as an apprentice, local editor, partner sixteen years, and then sole proprietor and editor-in-chief until his death.  As early as 1870 he had a financial interest in the Times and he made an outright purchase of a half interest on Jan. 1, 1874, becoming sole proprietor in 1890.
     To fight Democracy was a second nature to David Taylor, and in this business he was an old campaigner; but he made no compromises with what he considered to be wrong or unfair in his own party.  As a result of his peculiar radicalism along this line, he was defeated by a narrow margin for the Legislature in 1887, although he had been fairly nominated on the first ballot over half a dozen other good candidates in the convention.  At the next recurring convention he was again nominated by a unanimous vote, every one of the one hundred and forty-two delegates rising to his feet, and he was elected over the strongest candidate that the Democrats could set against him, and in that off-off-year (1889) Guernsey county gave the Republican nominee for governor, J. B. Foraker, a gain of one hundred over his vote of 1887, for re-election to a third term.  In the next campaign, when Mr. Taylor was again the unanimous choice of his party, the Democratic, Prohibitionist and People's parties combined to defeat him and incidentally a United States senator, and traded off everything and anything from governor down to accomplish their purpose; but in this contest he gained his most signal triumph, coming out with a majority over all, which was almost equivalent to the high-tide Republican plurality of about one thousand for McKinley for governor.
     As a member of the sixty-ninth and seventieth General Assemblies he was prominent and was author of the standard time law, the "masher" law, and hazing law, the first of which stopped every court house clock in the state about thirty minutes and made the time the same in every city.  He was a member of the Commercial Congress held in Kansas City, being appointed by Governor Campbell.  At the inauguration of William McKinley as governor, Mr. Taylor was a member of the escort committee and rode with McKinley and retiring Governor Campbell in the inaugural procession, being the representative of the lower house of the Legislature.  While a member of the latter body he became popularly known as "Guernsey Taylor."  In 1899 he was a candidate in the Guernsey district for state senator and greatly reduced the large Democratic majority.  His last political ambition was for the nomination of his party as their candidate for lieutenant-governor, and he had received testimonials from newspapers and friends in every part of Ohio promising support, but this campaign was hardly on until he was taken sick, when he laid the whole matter aside in an effort for return to health.
     Mr. Taylor's career was one of real accomplishment.  Born among the unproductive hills of Guernsey county, he had a boyhood of hard work, went to the front when a boy of only eighteen years as a private in the Eighty-fifty Ohio Regiment, and after the war learned the printing trade, when he graduated into the editorial chair.  The immediate clientele of his paper, the Guernsey Times, was not large, but it is doubtful if any rural weekly had a wider political influence.  The paper was Taylor and Taylor was the paper.  If he was for anybody or anything, there never was any doubt about it.  He said what he felt, and he said it vigorously, and kept on saying it until his views made an indelible impression on his readers.  He was an honest and true man, genial and generous.  He was a friend upon whose friendship one could rely whenever the opportunity offered for its service, and he was never in the "doubtful" column.  He was of high character and his purposes were always true.  He was a clear thinker and a vigorous writer.  He had ambition and rightfully so, but he never fought save in the open, commanding the respect of both friends and opponents.  As a legislature he was as breezy, aggressive and industrious as he was as an editor.  It was his bill which made standard time legal in Ohio.
     One morning the papers contained an account of an unusually pitiable case of deception of woman.  "Guernsey's" wrath rose.  He quickly drafted a bill and made a speech which sent the bill racing through both houses.   Hence the so-called "masher" law, applicable to married men who represent themselves as single.
     David D. Taylor new no environment.  All lines that were for the betterment of men and things were his and he used all of his powers for this purpose in all of the sixty-two years of his life.  He signed the Washingtonian pledge at two years old with his baby hand in that of his mother and most faithfully did he keep the pledge and the Guernsey Times has been the exponent of temperance that has kept the county in the front rank in that reform.  His truth and integrity none ever doubted and none ever dared to openly gainsay.  In all of his many battles in his political career he was always glad and ready to shake the hand of the foe when the battle was over.  He used all of his weapons and fought an open fight, but always with no characteristics of the assassin and with no personal feeling against the foe.  The poor never sought him in vain and the weak he regarded as worthy of his best help.  He was not a man of great means, but no public enterprise of Cambridge lacked his help and advocacy.
     Mr. Taylor died at the family home in Cambridge May 14, 1905, and is buried in the cemetery of his home city.  He was a good citizen of Cambridge and of Ohio.  His friends, loyal and loving, are numbered by the thousands.  Richer in good will than in material wealth, he departed this life leaving a heritage of memory that should be enough to console the last moments of the most fortunate.  He was a picturesque character.  In politics, in the editorial sanctum and society his personality was magnetic and his responsibilities were borne with courage and fortitude.  As an editor he wielded a trenchant pen, as a politician he was not confined to the narrow lines of partisanship.  He ably and completely filled his place in life; his duties were well performed. 
     In 1871 Mr. Taylor was married to Martha Craig, of Cambridge, and to them were born seven children, three of whom, Margaret McFadden, Samuel Craig and David Danner, died in childhood.  Rowland Corwin Taylor is special agent of the interior department with headquarters at Boise, Idaho.  Maxwood Petty Taylor is managing editor of The Teller, Lewiston, Idaho.  John Sherman Taylor is a law student at the Ohio State University, and Martha Craig Taylor who, with her mother, resides in Cambridge.  Mr. Taylor was the son of Alexander Dallas and Sarah (Danner) Taylor and was a member of a family of nine sons and three daughters.  Of this large family the only survivors are Dr. G. K. Taylor, of Cincinnati, and T. C. Taylor, of Washington, D. C.
SOURCE 1: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2.  - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 592
  COL. JOSEPH DANNER TAYLOR.  No man who has lived in Guernsey county will be longer or more reverently remembered than the late Col. Joseph Danner Taylor, third son of Alexander Dallas and Sarah (Danner) Taylor, who was born in Goshen township, near Belmont, Belmont county, Ohio, on the 7th of November, 1830.  When he was two years of age, his parents moved to Oxford township, Guernsey county.  For nineteen years he lived upon his father's farm, alternating with hard study during the winter months and summer evenings.  He belonged to a family where mental cultivation and educational acquirements were justly held in pre-eminent esteem, and with the goal of literary and professional success steadily before his boyish ambition, it is not strange that he early developed a fondness for literary pursuits and persevering devotion in attainment of knowledge.  After mastering such rudimentary branches of instruction as could be obtained in the district schools of that period, he attended various private schools in his own and adjoining counties, adapted to advanced scholars, where he prepared for college under the instruction of some of the leading educators of the day.   During his vacations je often taught district school to obtain funds to pursue his studies and, having to depend entirely upon himself, he studied, taught school and read law by turns during a period of several years.  For a year and half, beginning with the summer of 1854, he attended Madison College, covering the entire collegiate course, except the Greek.  Following his term at college he taught schools in Laughin's and Center districts, and completed his experience as an instructor by teaching the Fairview high school, which was largely attended by teachers and those who were fitting themselves for that profession.  Mr. Taylor was eminently successful as teacher, was painstaking and thorough spent nearly as much time in teaching out of school hours as in and was always ready to assist a pupil  whose means were limited, in books or tuition, often furnishing both free of charge, or taking his chances of remuneration in the future.  His school at Fairview, in which he was assisted by Prof. L. J. Crawford, embraced a complete academic course, including the higher mathematics, and his classes in surveying and engineering were given abundance of field practice.  He was proffered the superintendency of several prominent union schools, but preferred to teach a select school, which was more remunerative.  Having chosen the law as his profession, all his time, in the intervals of study and teaching, was devoted to a course of reading with that end in view.  He was twice elected county surveyor, but resigned before the close of his second term, owing to a pressure of other duties.  During the eight or nine years in which his attention was principally given to teaching, he contributed largely to the advance of public opinion in the matter of more liberal education, addressing many public assemblies upon the subject, organizing and presiding over teachers' associations and institutes, and impressing perceptibly upon the people his own advanced ideas on the subject.  He left his post as teacher with something of reluctance, and entered the Cincinnati Law School in the winter of 1857-58, graduating there in spring of 1860.  He was admitted to the bar before the supreme court in Columbus, a year in advance of his graduation, and commenced the practice of law in Cambridge in the fall of 1860.   He was school examiner of Guernsey county, but resigned at the breaking out of the war to enter the army.
     In the fall of 1861 Mr. Taylor purchased the Guernsey Times, then the only Republican journal in Guernsey county; associated with him in that enterprise was W. H. F. Lenfestey of Cambridge, who assumed charge of the business department of the paper, while Mr. Taylor directed, inspired and shaped its editorial utterances.  No one need to be told immense importance of the Republican paper of the strictest type in those days of doubt and vacillation.  Such was the Times.  It upheld the administration of Lincoln with all the weight of its influence, and, through all the doubt and fear of the time, steadfastly supported the measures of the Republican party, advocating the vigorous prosecution of the war, approving and upholding the Emancipation Proclamation, and sternly rebuking the "copperheads" and "doughfaces" who remained at home to object and criticise while the nation was struggling for its life.  Party feeling ran high in those days, and it required strength of conviction and steadiness of purpose to conduct a newspaper safely and successfully through the perils that beset journalism on every hand, but neither then, nor since, did Mr. Taylor ever falter in his allegiance to the principles of the Republican party.  During his connection with the Times he edited it in person when at home, and at all times dictated its policy.
     It cannot be said that the paper was conducted with an eye solely or largely to financial results.  On the contrary, it was placed, so far as possible, in the hands of every voter, responsible or otherwise, in Guernsey county.  Large numbers of copies were weekly sent to every regiment at the front which contained an Ohio man, and so thousand of dollars' worth of papers were freely and gladly contributed by the owners to the cause of republicanism and union among the very people who most needed such missionary work - those too poor or too indifferent to pay for a paper.
     The result of his policy was like that of casting bread upon the waters for, when the paper was sold in 1871, it was doubled in size, tripled in circulation, and had contributed to greatly increase the Republican vote and influence in Guernsey county.  Previous to 1862, when Mr. Taylor assumed editorial control of the paper, not more than half the county offices had been held by Republicans.  At ensuing elections the party had gained such strength as to make a clean sweep, electing its entire ticket, and this result is a fair example of that of each election up to 1871.
     When the war broke out Mr. Taylor was appointed by the governor of Ohio a member of the county and district military committees, and gave efficient service in organizing troops, and in procuring and forwarding needed supplies to the soldiers in the field.  In the spring of 1863 he was made the candidate of his party for prosecuting attorney of Guernsey county.  Pending the canvass came Morgan's famous raid into Ohio, and Governor Tod's call for troops to defend the state.  Mr. Taylor raised a company for the Eighty-eighty Ohio Regiment, and had it in camp in ten days, where he was, by unanimous vote of the company, chosen captain.
     The regiment was placed on duty at Camp Chase, then filled with rebel prisoners.  When sufficiently drilled for active service, Captain Taylor was among the officers of this regiment who petitioned the secretary of war to send them to the front, and the order came to this effect.  The regiment was equipped for duty and ordered to Washington, when, to the infinite disappointment of officers and men, the order was countermanded upon the representation of General Richardson that the regiment could not safely be spared from Cap Chase, and they were accordingly remanded to the monotonous through important duty, of guarding the thousands of Confederate soldiers then held in  that prison depot.  While in camp Captain Taylor was sent on several important details with picked men, where clearness of judgment and coolness of nerve were specially required and was eminently successful in all that he undertook.  Soon after he entered the service he was detailed on special duty, and remained on detached service until the close of the war, serving as judge advocate of courts marital and military commissions, at Cincinnati, Indianapolis and at other places.  In the latter part of 1864, after serving for some months as judge advocate at Cincinnati, he was appointed judge advocate of the district of Indiana, with headquarters at Indianapolis.  The state of Indiana was then in a condition to warrant the gravest apprehension of serious difficulty.  Its military prisons were overcrowded with criminals and rebels, and in many places its citizens were on the brink of insurrection.  The treasonable organizations of the Sons of Liberty and Knights of the Golden Circle were in their palmiest days, and drilling of armed men by moonlight, and the schemes to release and arm the rebel prisoners at the North, had just been discovered.  Under these circumstances it required ability of no ordinary type to manage the business of the military courts, and again the firmness of purpose and clearness of perception  which had on previous occasions marked Captain Taylor's performance of duty became signally apparent.  The district to which he was called was in everything but the name a department, the judge advocate discharging his duties independent of any immediate supervision, and reporting only to the judge advocate general.  The whole management of this department or district was given into the hands of Captain Taylor by General Hovey, who was then in command, and so well and faithfully did he perform the arduous and responsible duties of his position that during the entire year and a half that he was engaged in this branch of service, involving the preparation and forwarding of thousands of pages of reports, the carrying on of important investigations and the keeping of voluminous records, no report of his was ever returned from Washington, but all were found correct and approved by the war department.  The vigor and promptness with which he despatched business were remarkable, and his untiring energy and industry enabled him to do what perhaps no other officer in the army did, or attempted to do.  As soon as the necessary records, clerks, and reporters could be provided, he organized two military courts, and served as judge advocate of both, although his position as district judge advocate did not require him to serve in that capacity on either.
     Exacting as were these duties, being, in fact, the duties of three ordinary officers, the situation was complicated by another circumstance.  The people of Guernsey county had elected Captain Taylor prosecuting attorney, in pursuance of the nomination already referred to, and though he had a deputy who could very well attend to the duties of the office outside of the court room, his presence at the three sessions of the court in each year seemed indispensable.  His indefatigable labors at Indianapolis rendered it easy for him to obtain leave of absence to attend to these occasional duties at Cambridge, where, with unremitting energy, he disposed of his cases in the shortest possible time, and hurried back to face his accumulated labors in Indiana.  Thus his life became a constant round of ceaseless labor, and in the examination of hundreds of prisoners, the trying of many important cases, and the management and control of a vast amount of business, he gained lasting credit for the discretion, wisdom, and success of his administration.
     In 1865 Provost Marshal John B. Cook was foully and deliberately murdered at Cambridge by two men Oliver and Hartup.  General Hooker, upon application of Captain Taylor, detailed him with a court consisting of eleven officers, to go to Cambridge and try the murderers.  Intense feeling prevailed in regard to the matter, and the public excitement was not diminished by the arrival of the court, its reporters, clerks and attendants.  A company of infantry acted as guards, and the servants of the officers being added, the retinue was no small one, and its coming put all Cambridge in a flutter.  The court held its sessions in the town hall, and, as the trial was one of the most important of the many that were held during the war, and one which attracted great attention throughout the country, it was one of absorbing theme of conversation in the community.  A most stubborn defense was made all along the line, and the trial, as it progressed, assumed, to some extent, a political character.  Four of the ablest lawyers obtainable were retained for the accused, and hundreds of witnesses were examined and for three months the trial lasted, during which time Captain Taylor in the faithful discharge of his duties received many threats of personal violence from the prisoners and their sympathizers, as well as many encomiums for his management of the case from those who desired justice to be done.  It finally resulted in the conviction of both prisoners and their subsequent execution at Camp Chase, in September, 1865, after they made a full confession of their crime.  Captain Taylor received many warm expressions of gratitude from the citizens of his own and other counties for having been instrumental in ridding the community of these men who had been a constant terror to law-abiding people for many many years, and, by his skillful and acute analysis and management of the case, added materially to a reputation for legal ability already well established.
     During his terms of service he was twice brevetted for valuable services to the government, on the recommendation of officers of the regular army as well as those of the volunteer forces, whose attention had been attracted by his judicious and conscientious administration of his office.  These brevets commission and ever afterward passed among his acquaintances by the military title of colonel.
     At the close of the war and after he was mustered out of the service he was retained as special citizen judge advocate in the district of Indiana for the trial of two important cases in which the government was pecuniarily interested to the extent of many thousands of dollars.  The first of these occupied six and the second four months in its trial, and he was thus unable to return to private life until the summer of 1866.  Having been, in 1865, re-elected prosecuting attorney, he held the office until 1867, and so vigorously did he enforce the law that when his term of office closed there was not an open saloon in Guernsey county.  From 1867 he devoted himself, first to the Times until 1871, when he sold his interests, then to his law practice and to sundry private business enterprises, the latter almost without an exception connected with advancing the material growth and prosperity of his town.  Indeed, it may be justly said that no man in Guernsey county did more to benefit Cambridge than did Colonel Taylor  He erected several valuable blocks of buildings, thus giving employment to many persons, and adding to the advantages of the town.  He was retained in many notable cases, and while for years his law practice was second to none in Cambridge, he had an extensive practice in other counties and cities, especially in Cincinnati.  Not the least of these important cases was that of the State against Kennon for the murder of Benjamin F. Sipe, tried in Belmont county, under a change of venue.  In this case Colonel Taylor was appointed by the court and paid by the county commissioners, and was opposed by Hon. Allen G. Thurman and other leading members of the Ohio bar.  His practice extended through all the state courts, and district, circuit and supreme courts of the United States, to which last he was admitted to practice upon motion of President, then Congressman, James A. Garfield.  In all his business, including the extensive practice of his profession, it is worthy of note that he never had a law suit on his own account, and that he had a reputation for compromising and adjusting without a trial more cases than any other lawyer of his locality.  In 1871 he associated with him in the practice of law, under the firm name of Taylor & Anderson, Col. T. H. Anderson, now justice of the supreme court of the District of Columbia, who had read law in his office.
     From the personal and professional to the political world of Colonel Taylor is but a step.  He was prominently identified with the Republican politics in the eastern part of the state for many years.  In 1872 he received eleven or twelve votes for Congress in the convention which nominated Hon. John A. Bingham for his last term.  He was later urged by his friends to again enter the lists, and in 1878 he would probably have received the nomination but for the fact that just before the nominating convention was held, the Democratic majority in the Legislature had completed their famous gerrymander by which Guernsey county was thrown into a new and hopelessly Democratic district, in consequence of which his friends withdrew his name from the canvass.
     He was by appointment of the governor of Ohio, a delegate to the Philadelphia Loyalists' convention in 1866.  He served as delegate in the Cincinnati convention of 1876, which nominated Hayes for the Presidency, and the Chicago convention of 1880.
     From 1861, when he purchased the Guernsey Times, until his death, Mr. Taylor's influence and means were unselfishly devoted to his party.
     With every enterprise that tended to the improvement of Cambridge, after his residence there he was closely identified.  From 1870 to 1877 he was president of the Cambridge school board, during which time the union school building was erected, then one of the finest in eastern Ohio.  He was trustee of Scio, Mt. Union and Ohio and Allegheny Colleges.  He was prominent in securing the organization and location of the Marietta & Pittsburg, now the Cleveland & Marietta railroad contributing liberally of his means and time to the enterprise.  He was active in the organization and management of several corporations for the develop0ment of local industries.
     It was one of Colonel Taylor's cherished purposes to be able to assist worthy young men who were struggling, as he did in his youth, to gain a foothold in honorable business, or in the profession, or in obtaining a liberal education.  None appealed to his benevolence in vain, and his heart and hand were ever ready to respond to the cry of the needy.  He was a thoroughly religious man during his entire lifetime, an active member of the Methodist Episcopal church, a member and for many years president of its board of trustees, and was a liberal supporter of all its enterprises.  He was superintendent of the Sabbath school in Fairview, when he was engaged in teaching in that place, and later for seven years superintendent of the Methodist Episcopal Sabbath school in Cambridge.  In 1880 he was one of the two lay delegates from the East Ohio conference to the general conference of the Methodist Episcopal church held in Cincinnati, where he took a prominent part in the deliberations of every session.  He was a delegate to the ecumenical conference held in Washington, D. C., in 1892.
     In December, 1866, Colonel Taylor married Elizabeth A. Hill, daughter of William Hill, of North Berwick, Maine.  Mrs. Taylor died in April, 1887.  Of this marriage there were born, William Hill and Gertrude Elizabeth, who survive him and Joseph Clifford, who died in infancy.  In November, 1889, Colonel TAylor married Caro M. Palmer, who, with the one child born them, Joseph Danner Taylor, Jr., still survives him.
     Colonel Taylor was president of the Guernsey National Bank from its organization in 1872 until the time of his death.  He was also a director and an officer of several corporations located in Guernsey county and elsewhere in addition to many other positions of trust and responsibility.  "Being elected to fill the unexpired term of the Hon. Jonathan T. Updegraff of the sixteenth district in the forty-seventh Congress, he so ably represented his constituents that he was re-elected to the forty-eighth, fiftieth, fifty-first and fifty-second Congresses.  He received important committee assignments, including a chairmanship.  His term of office expired in 1893.  His congressional record was marked by teh same fidelity and untiring efforts on behalf of the public which had always been one of his marked characteristics.  In addition to general legislation he was then particularly interested in matters concerning the old soldiers, and pensioners of the late war and also the wool industry, which closely concerned his constituents, and his services were so highly appreciated that his majority was largely increased at each election."  For many yeas he was active in the councils of the Republican party in eastern Ohio, was once temporary chairman of the Ohio state convention.  Though the mention of his name in connection with the gubernatorial nomination had attracted favorable attention and a large circle of friends and acquaintances urged him to enter the field, he declined to allow the use of his name.  He enjoyed cordial relations with Presidents Hayes, Garfield and McKinley, serving several years in Congress with the latter.
     Colonel Taylor was always a very busy man.  He held many positions of trust and responsibility.  In his three years as judge-advocate, four years as prosecuting attorney, seven years as president of the school board and nine years in Congress, a leading practitioner in his profession for many years, his record is without a stain.  He possessed an engaging personality and those traits of character which win and retain a wide circle of friends.
     This distinguished citizen passed to his reward at his home in Cambridge, on September 19, 1899.
SOURCE 1: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2.  - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 953
  ORLANDO R. TAYLOR.  A name that is well known in Valley township, Guernsey county, standing for upright manhood and clean citizenship, is that of Orlando R. Taylor, who was born in Hartland, this township, June 16, 1858, the descendant of an excellent and highly respected family, being the son of William and Sarah (Hall) Taylor.  The father was born in the same community, as was also the mother.  William Taylor devoted most of his life to farming pursuits, but during his last years he was not very actively engaged in agriculture.  He was a man whom everyone respects, his life having been above reproach.  In his family are six children, named as follows:  Orlando R., of this review; Ida, wife of David E. H. Elwee, lives  at Westerville, Ohio; Naomi is the wife of James Laughlin and lives at Pleasant City, this county; Lizzie is the wife of James H. Warren and lives in Cambridge; Jemima married G. S. Larrick and lives about five miles south of Pleasant City, in Noble county; Charles lives at Linden Heights, north of Columbus, Ohio.
     The death of the father of these children occurred on Sept. 11, 1909, having survived his wife nine years, she having answered the summons on Sept. 24, 1900.  From about 1879 they had lived in Pleasant City, although Mr. Taylor continued farming until within a few yeas of his death.
     Orlando R. Taylor grew to maturity on the home farm, near Pleasant City, which he worked when old enough, and he attended the common schools there.  Since 1879 he has lived at Pleasant City, but he attended the normal school at Cambridge, and later took a course at Scio College, preparing himself for a teacher, which profession he followed with marked success for fifteen or sixteen years, his services being in great demand owing to the fact that he was exceptionally well equipped for his work and also because of the fact that he was an entertainer as well as an instructor in the school room being popular with both pupils and patrons, and keeping abreast of the times in all matters pertaining to his work.  He taught in Pleasant City and other schools in Guernsey county and four years in Muskingum county.
     But tiring of the school room, Mr. Taylor took up fire insurance and later established an agency and did a very gratifying business in this line.  He became notary public and was also township clerk, and is still serving as clerk of the school board of Valley township, and also as clerk of the board of education of Pleasant City.  As a public servant he has ever given the utmost satisfaction, discharging his duties in a very conscientious and able manner.  He has recently engaged in life insurance, which he now makes his chief business.
     Mr. Taylor was married on Aug. 4, 1888, to Alice Moore, a lady of many estimable traits, the daughter of Thomas I. and Margaret (Gander) Moore.  She was born, reared and educated in the southeastern part of Guernsey county.  One child was born to this union, who died in infancy.
     Mr. Taylor's popularity and his eminent fitness for positions of public trust led his friends to elect him mayor of Pleasant City, but he did not want the office and resigned after six months' service.  Fraternally, he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias, and he and his wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal church.  He is easily one of the leading citizens of Pleasant City and this part of the county, although being a man of conservative tastes, he does not court such distinction.
SOURCE 1: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2.  - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 842

Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 704


Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 704


Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 704

  PROF. BERT M. THOMPSON.  The men most influential in promoting the advancement of society and in giving character to the times in which they live are of two classes, the men who study and the men of action.  Whether we are most indebted for the improvement of the age to the one class or the other, is a question of honest aged to occupy their several spheres of labor and influence, zealously and without mutual distrust.  In the following paragraphs are briefly outlined the leading facts and characteristics of a gentleman who combines in his makeup the elements of the scholar and the energy of the public spirited man of affairs.  Devoted to the noble and humane work of teaching, he has made his influence felt in the school life of Guernsey county, and is not unknown to the wider educational circles of the state, occupying as he does a prominent place in his profession and standing high in the esteem of educators in other than his own field of endeavor.
     Prof. Bert M. Thompson, the able and popular superintendent of public schools of Byesville, Ohio, was born in 1881 at Senecaville, Guernsey county.  He is the son of Luke D. and Ida S. (Nicholson) ThompsonLuke D. Thompson was also a native here, born one-fourth mile from where the subject was born about two miles southwest of Senecaville.  He was prominent and influential in this locality in the early days of development.
     The Thompson family first came from central Pennsylvania, in the early days.  Some of them were blacksmiths in the days when blacksmiths made nails with hammer and anvil.  The first one here was William Thompson great-grandfather of the subject.  He was a wagoner of the Alleghenies and hauled with six and eight-horse teams from Baltimore, Maryland, over the mountains.  He had a fine set of horses and often got in a week ahead of the others, thereby earning the cream of the business.  On one of his trips, in crossing the Potomac on the ice, he found himself floating away with his team on a large two or three -acre piece.  He floated for two or three miles, when the ice swung around a sand bar, and he promptly whipped the team off onto the land.  He came to this country at a very early day and located a mile west of Senecaville, and the Thompson family have lived in that part of the township ever since.  William Thompson kept tavern on the public square at Senecaville soon after 1800.  He died of cholera.  William Thompson's son was also named William.
     Luke Thompson
was the son of William Thompson, Jr., and Margaret (Dilley) Thompson.  Margaret Dilley was the daughter of Abram Dilley, who was the son of Ephraim Dilley.  The origin of the Dilley family is given as follows:  Ephraim Dilley, grandfather of Margaret (Dilley) Thompson, was born in 1755 and diedin 1844.  His wife, Lucy (Ayers) dilley, was born in 1762 and died in 1840.  Ephraim Dilley's wife's maiden name was Lucy Ayers, daughter of William and Esther (Hardin) Ayers.  Ephraim Dilley was the son of Aaron and Hannah (Perry) DilleyHannah Perry was related to Commodore Perry, who fought the battle on Lake Erie in 1813, being a sister of the Commodore's mother or grandmother, and had the same noble hero who was born in 1270 and who was an Anglo-Norman.  His ancestors were not English, but were French Huguenots, who were in the massacre of St. Bartholomew and had to flee for their lives.  They migrated from the isle of Jersey to England, thence to the United States.  Ethnology places them as ancient Celts or Gauls.  Ephraim Dilley was in the Revolutionary war and fought in the battle of Stony Point and other battles.  Abram Dilley's wife was Jane Wilson McCleary Dilley.  Jane Wilson McCleary was born in county Down, Ireland, and came to the United States when eight years old.  She came in her Aunt Mary Roland's ship, her husband being the captain of the vessel.  He died and she (Mary Roland) married a Mr. Wright, the mate.  James Wilson McCleary's mother, or grandmother, was a daughter of Lord Wilson.  She married a mechanic and her father disinherited her.  The family crest of Lord Wilson was the wolf's head.
     Professor Thompson's mother was the daughter of Jacob and Jane (Cramblett) Nicholson, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this volume.  She was born and reared about two and a half miles from the town of Derwent.  The Professor's father was born not far from Senecaville, and lived in that vicinity all of his life.  Professor Thompson was the only child of the family and he grew up on the home farm.  The father followed farming all of his life.  He and his wife were members of the Lutheran church, as all of the Nicholsons are.  Grandfather Thompson was a Presbyterian.  The father, who died Sept. 26, 1908 was a good man and highly esteemed by all who knew him.
     Bert M. Thompson attended the common schools in the country districts, graduating in 1899 from the Senecaville high school.  He spent one summer at the National Normal University.  He also took twelve terms at Athens, Ohio, completing the course in the normal college.  He has also secured both common school and high school state life certificates, that being quite an unusual thing for one of more advanced years and experience.  Thus well equipped for his lifework, in 1900 he began teaching in Richland township, and taught there for three years and afterward one year in Valley township.  He then came to Byesville, spent four years as principal of the high school, and became superintendent of the schools in May, 1908, which position he filled for the two years' term.  In 1910 he was again elected for a three years' term.  He has done much to rose the standard of the schools of Byesville, is an able educator, a man of high character, genial and kind, a clear thinker, cogent, reasoner, a platform speaker of ability, delivers commencement addresses, etc.  He is geographical editor of the Ohio Teacher, is field worker for the Ohio School Improvement Federation, and has local license in the Methodist Episcopal church.  He does considerable public speaking, both in school and church work.  For the past ten years he has been very active in the Epworth League, has been for three years past president of the Cambridge district of the Epworth league.  He finally gave this up for lack of time.
     When Professor Thompson came to Byesville there was only one school building and nine teachers; now there are three schools, with a teaching force of twenty-three teachers.  A new high school building, costing thirty thousand dollars, and many improvements in the conduct of the schools, are largely due to the progress of the public school system under his supervision.  He is known nearly all over Ohio as a leader in educational matters.  His field work, carried on earnestly, brings him in close touch with the work in every locality.  He and his mother now live in Byesville, where they have a beautiful home.
     Unlike many of his calling who became narrow and pedantic, Professor Thompson is essentially a man of the times, broad and liberal in his views and has the courage of his convictions on all the leading public questions and issues upon which men and parties divide.  He also keeps in touch with the trend of modern thought along its various lines and being a man of scholarly attainments and refined tastes, his acquaintance with the best literature of the world is both general and profound, while his familiarity with the more practical affairs of the day makes him feel free with all classes and conditions of people whom he meets, and he is deserving of the large success he has achieved and of the universal esteem which he now enjoys.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page
  EBENEZER F. THOMPSON.    It would indeed he quite impossible to give even an approximate review of the great good done in the locality of which this history treats by the Rev. Ebenezer Finley Thompson, long since a pilgrim to the “city not made with hands, eternal in the heavens,” for, during a long and laborious career, he sought to spread the gospel of peace and service among his fellow men, and aid them in any way possible, deeming it his mission in this sinful, benighted, evil-cursed world to expend his energy and devote much effort in making those better and happier with whom his lot was cast, consequently his light will continue to shine among them, growing brighter “unto the perfect day.”  As a preacher he was earnest, forceful, logical and often truly eloquent.
     Reverend Thompson was born Dec. 25, 1807, in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, near New Salem, the son of Judge William and Elizabeth (Finley) Thompson.  The Thompsons and Finleys are of Scotch-Irish descent.  Jacob Thompson, the great-grandfather of the subject, was the first Thompson coming to America a few years later than 1700. and landed at Battumon.  His wife was Ann Downard.  He was a farmer.  His son, James, the grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was born in 1758, in Maryland, and married Mary Jackson, in Chester county, Pennsylvania.  Some years later the family went to Fayette county.  Pennsylvania, and was engaged in farming. his son, William, was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, in October, 1783, and was married to Elizabeth Finley, who are the parents of the subject.   There were in the family of William Thompson the following children: Ebenezer Finley, of this review; James, who became a lawyer; Jane, who became Mrs. Rev. George Richey; William; Harriet J. and Elizabeth J. Evans.
     WILLIAM THOMPSON came with his family to what is now Guernsey county, Ohio, in August, 1810, and settled in Possum valley.  A few years later he bought land two miles east of Senecaville and built a grist mill, one of the very earliest of its time.  He was a large land owner and was active in the affairs of the new country.  A few years following this he bought lands upon which a large part of Senecaville is now built, owning about three hundred acres in this one piece of land.  He was a very prominent man, served as a member of the Ohio Legislature, and also as county judge.  He died from cholera in June, 1833, buried beside his father and mother, in the cemetery at Senecaville.  He died in the prime of life and in the most active years of his life, aged forty-nine years.  His widow died in 1860 and is also buried at Senecaville.
     His son, Ebenezer F., was at the time of his father's death engaged in the mercantile business and continued in this for some years in connection with his brothers.  Soon after his father’s death he became converted and decided to enter the ministry.  He closed out his business and prepared for a college course, he had accumulated considerable property prior to this time, he had attended the public schools of Senecaville and prepared for the ministry at Uniontown, Pennsylvania, and at Ohio University at Athens, Ohio, and, finishing his education, was ordained by the Cumberland Presbyterian church and immediately began his ministerial work in Guernsey county.
     Reverend Thompson was married May 20, 1845, to Louisa Halley, daughter of Edward and Mary (Wartenbee ) Halley, of near Byesville, Guernsey county.  Mr. Halley was of English descent and both the Halleys and Wartenbees were large land owners and mill operators from Wheeling to Zanesville.
     To Reverend and Mrs. Thompson were born three daughters and two sons: Mary E., who is Mrs. James Kabo, of Senecaville: Nellie T., now Mrs. Robert P. Burns, of Senecaville; Hattie L., now Mrs. Jacob S. Mowery, of the state of Oregon; William H., of Senecaville; and Ebenezer D., of St. Louis, Missouri.
     Mr. Thompson spent the entire years of his ministry in Guernsey county and vicinity.  His health was such that he was not capable of constant work and he retired to his farm near Senecaville.  He was a Republican in politics and a man very active in public affairs, a public-spirited citizen and every effort calculated to improve conditions and uplift the people had his hearty support.  He was a splendid man, highly respected and a man of wide influence.  His death occurred on Jan. 21, 1884, his widow surviving until Dec. 27, 1903, and both are buried in the Senecaville cemetery.
     The daughter, Nellie T., was married July 25, 1876, to Robert P. Burns, of Jacksonville, Greene county, Pennsylvania.  Mr. and Mrs. Burns lived in Senecaville, Mr. Burns being a traveling salesman.  To Mr. and Mrs. Burns the following children were born; Halley A. is married and resides in Senecaville; Arthur married and lives in Senecaville; Mary A., now Mrs. Raymond Lowry, of Senecaville; Robert, at home.
     Mr. and Mrs. Burns were both music teachers and each of the children have very marked musical ability and have musical educations.  Mr. Burns passed to his rest July 28, 1895, and is buried in the Senecaville cemetery.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 829

John A. Thompson
JOHN A. THOMPSON.    A fine type of the sturdy, conscientious American of today is John A. Thompson, prosperous farmer and honored citizen of Guernsey county and long a leader in the affairs of Cambridge township.  He has lived a long and useful life and has noted great changes and taken part in vast improvements.  He is deserving of the high esteem in which he is universally held because he has led a life of uprightness and of strict adherence to the Golden Rule.
     Mr. Thompson was born Apr. 26, 1838, in Monroe township, Guernsey county, Ohio, and he is the son of William and Sarah (Ansley ) Thompson.  The father was born in county Tyrone, Ireland, and he was about two years of age when his parents brought him to America.  They settled in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, where they remained for a number of years engaged in farming.  The family came to Guernsey county, Ohio, in 1826 and settled in Monroe township, the father having died in Pennsylvania.  They purchased a farm of one hundred and seven acres for four hundred and one dollars, the one dollar representing the present to the wife of the seller as compensation for signing the deed to the land.
     William Thompson, father of John A., prospered at his chosen vocation and became a large land owner.  He was a Whig in politics, later a Republican and was active in public matters.  His family consisted of four daughters and three sons, namely: James, Mary Jane, Nancy, Margaret, Elizabeth, John A. and William H.  The two last only are living.  William H. served as a member of Company H, Sixty-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, during the Civil war, and the father was a soldier in the war of 1812.  The latter died on Feb. 9, 1880, and his wife died on July 14, 1878.  Both are buried in the United Presbyterian cemetery.  They were a highly respected couple and prominent in the affairs of the community.
     John A. Thompson, of this review, grew to maturity on his father's farm and obtained his education in the district schools of Monroe township.  He was married on Sept. 19, 1861, to Mary A. Neel, daughter of Archibald and Eliza Ruth (Hughes) Neel, of Monroe township, and a prominent pioneer family.  To Mr. and Mrs. Thompson were born seven children, namely: Leona A., deceased; Ansley N., a farmer in Kansas: Ulysses D. and Eliza Ruth (twins); the former is in business in Cambridge, and the daughter is now Mrs. Harry McCracken and lives on a farm in Guernsey county: Sallie Kate is deceased, as is also Martha M.  John M. is now with an exploring party in Alaska.  The mother of these children died in March, 1886. and Mr. Thompson was married a second time, June 12, 1890, his second wife being Martha A. Boyd, daughter of Thomas and Martha (Allen) Boyd, of Harrison county, Ohio.
     After his first marriage Mr. Thompson continued to live on the old home place in Monroe township until 1902 when he bought a farm adjoining the city of Cambridge and has since resided here, having been practically retired from active business for years.  He has been a very successful business man and a good manager and has laid by a very comfortable competency.  Besides his fine farm near Cambridge, he also owns a very valuable place of over three hundred acres in Monroe township, this county, which is all well improved.
     Politically, Mr. Thompson is a Republican and he has always been interested and active in political affairs, having filled several of the most important township offices in Monroe township, and in 1880 was land appraiser in that township.  He was elected a member of the board of county commissioners in 1888 and very ably served nearly seven years, being recognized as a man of high official integrity.  He and his family are members of the United Presbyterian church and are active church workers.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 864

Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 693


Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 644


Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 847

Elza D. Trott
ELZA D. TROTT.   The gentleman whose name forms the caption of this biographical review does not need to be formally introduced to the readers of this history owing to the fact that he has long been known to all classes of Guernsey county citizens as a man of progressive ideas and a leader in local affairs who merits the high esteem in which he is held.
     Elza D. Trott was born July 16, 1868, in Center township, this county, and is the son of Benjamin Griffith and Eliza (Martell) TrottGrandfather Martell was a man of prominence here in the pioneer days and was one of the founders of the Methodist Episcopal church at Cambridge.  There is a tradition that the Martells, or Martels, were of the nobility of France, one member of the royal family who married one of the lower station, being disinherited and deprived of his rank. This family is probably descended from the great military genius of Europe, Charles Martel, prominent in the middle ages.  The father was born in Maryland and the mother in Guernsey county, Ohio.  The paternal grandparents of Elza D. Trott were Richard and Mary (Simmons) Trott.
     'I'he parents of Eliza Martell came from the isle of Guernsey, in the English Channel, among the early pioneers here.  Benjamin G. Trott was born in Maryland, about twenty-two miles from Baltimore on the Chesapeake bay.  He came to Guernsey county with his parents when he was twelve years of age. in 1844.  They located in Valley township, near Hartford, and there he grew to maturity.  Upon reaching manhood he married Mrs. Eliza Jane Davis, widow of John Davis.  Her parents were Nicholas and Judith (Blamfield) Martell.  When these parents came from the isle of Guernsey to this country they had two children, Eliza Jane being one of the last children born to them, her birth occurring on Apr. 16, 1830.  Nicholas Martell and wife were, as stated, among the early settlers here, and they owned salt works three miles north of Cambridge.  Later they lived near where the present tracks of the Baltimore & Ohio railroad are located, about four miles east of Cambridge, and there Mr. Martell died.  Benjamin Trott was originally a farmer and for almost fifty years was engaged in mining, from the time the mining interests began to develop in this county until his advanced age made it necessary for him to abandon such work.  His death occurred in September, 1904, his widow surviving until Jan. 31, 1909.  Both are buried in the cemetery at Byesville, where the family had resided for a number of years.  Eight children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin G. Trott, all of whom are living, with one exception; they are, Flora, deceased; Virginia Frances married David Cox, of Jackson township; Anna May married William Hutton, of Byesville; John W. married Rose Smith and lives at Byesville; Elza D., of this review; Nancy married John L. Nicholson, of Byesville; T. Elmer is professor of mathematics of Scio College.  He took the degree of Master of Science at Muskingum in 1908.  When only twelve years of age he passed the examination and secured license to teach school.  He was one of the youngest in Ohio to receive a state school certificate, and he is now a member of the staff of nautical computers of the United States Nautical Observatory, calculating the paths of the stars for the same.  He also has the degree of Master of Arts.  Ida Belle married Albrow Smith, of Byesville.
     Elza D. Trott was educated in the public schools of his home township.  When twelve years of age he went to work in the mines and was emplored in every phase of work about the mines, from mule driving to engineer and practical mining.  He was thus employed until he was twenty-one years of age.  He then attended school at Byesville and the following winter he taught in the Black Top district, Richland township.  The following summer found him in the mines again, in fact, for several years he worked in the mines during the summer and taught school in the winter.  He entered the Northwestern University at Ada, Ohio, later studied at Muskingum College at New Concord, Ohio, for four spring and summer terms, pursuing the scientific course.  Before going to Ada and Muskingum College he had attended the summer normal at Byesville for several terms.  Following his college course he taught school for seventeen years in Guernsey county.  During this time he was superintendent of schools at Pleasant City for a year.  He also taught in the Byesville schools.  During all the years he lived in Byesville he walked to and from home to his different schools, eight in number, during the seventeen years, and he was regarded as among Guernsey county’s most progressive and able instructors.
     Mr. 'I'rott was married, Oct. 14, 1903, to Alice Moseley, daughter of Lemuel O. and Mary (Courtney) Moseley.  The father was a native of Ohio and the mother was born in Ireland.  She came to America when about twenty-one years of age. Lemuel O. Moseley was a son of Captain Moseley, a man of considerable prominence.  The Moseley family were residents of Noble county, Ohio, at the time of the daughter’s marriage, she being engaged in the millinery business in Byesville.  Both her parents are still living at Orrville, Ohio.
     To Mr. and Mrs. Trott no children have been born, but they have two children as their wards, the children of Mrs. Trott's brother, Emerson Moseley.  Their mother was burned to death by her clothing catching fire in her home at Mount Vernon. Ohio.
     Politically, Mr. Trott is a Republican and he has always been active in party affairs and is a man well informed on general issues.  He served as justice of the peace in Byesville for five years prior to 1908, during which time he heard about fifteen hundred cases in addition to his teaching duties.  He was regarded as a very able judicial officer, his decisions being fair and unbiased and not one was ever reversed at the hands of a higher tribunal.  In the summer of 1908 he was nominated by the Republicans of Guernsey county for clerk of courts and was elected the following November and he is now serving his first term, and was nominated for a second term in 1910, having made a very creditable and praiseworthy record.  Owing to his universal popularity, his nomination for this office a second time was met with approval by members of all parties.  He is a member of Red Prince Lodge No. 250, Knights of Pythias, at Byesville, Ohio, and is also a member of the Masonic lodge at Cambridge.  He has passed through all the chairs in the Knights of Pythias lodge and has been county deputy for two terms at different times.  While an active miner he was a member of the Miners' Union and other labor organizations, including the American Federation of Labor, also the musicians’ organization or union, and he has been very active in their affairs.  He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church: he has been a trustee of the same for about fifteen years, and he has also been both teacher and Sunday school superintendent and a class leader in the church.  His wife was also active in all Sunday school work.  Mr. Trott was also leader of the church choir for a number of years at Byesville, where he and his wife held membership.  On assuming the office of county clerk he moved to Cambridge, the family home being at No. 135 North Eleventh street.  Mr. and Mrs. Trott are noted for their work in the temperance cause, and the latter in the work of the young people’s organization of the church of which she is a member.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 752

Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 565


Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 488


Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 488





This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights