OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 
Welcome to
GUERNSEY COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy


BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
History of Guernsey County, Ohio
by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet
- Illustrated -
Vols. I & 2.
B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana -
1911

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO 1911 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO LIST OF BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


 
  COLEMAN BAMFORD JACKSON.  A scion of an excellent old family of Guernsey county is Coleman Bamford Jackson.  He has endeavored to keep untarnished the good name of the family and has also won a reputation of unflagging industry and trustworthiness.  He was born in the city where he still resides, Cambridge, Ohio, on Feb. 2, ,1855, and is the son of Israel and Julia A. (Scott) Jackson.  The father was born in Jackson township, this county, May 3 1832, and was the eldest son of Henry Jackson and wife, who were among the early settlers of this county.  The family home was in and near Jackson township for many years.  Julia A. Scott was born in Washington county, Ohio, the daughter of James Scott and wife, both natives of Ireland, being Scotch-Irish in blood.  Israel Jackson and wife moved into Cambridge after their marriage and lived here the balance of their lives.  The father was a carpenter by trade and he was very successful and became the owner of considerable valuable property in the vicinity of Twelfth street and Wheeling avenue.  Israel Jackson's death occurred at the age of sixty-six years.  The latter part of his life was spent as a contractor and builder and as foreman he helped build the Central school in Cambridge.  He was a good man, a kind, affectionate father and husband..  He belonged to the Methodist Protestant church.  He was a very industrious man in early life took much interest in municipal affairs.  He was a member of the school board for some time.
     Coleman B. Jackson was one of a family of twelve children, eleven sons and one daughter.  He grew to manhood in Cambridge and was educated in the local schools.  When he was about twenty years of age he started in the railroad service, taking up the study of telegraphy, at which he worked for awhile, then became bill clerk in the freight office.  He was then employed to look after the freight in the yards, doing the work himself; now a half dozen men are required for this purpose.  On Nov. 29, 1899, he became agent for the railroad in charge of their business at Byesville, which position he still holds.  He is regarded by the officials as one of their most trusted and efficient employes.
     Mr. Jackson was married May 17, 1882, to Sophia Masters, daughter of Nathan and Mary (Baird) Masters.  She was born at Steubenville, Ohio, and came to this county about 1880.  Her mother was born in Frederick county, Maryland, Mar. 29, 1802, and she lived to a remarkable age, her death occurring, when about one hundred and six years old, on Jan. 6, 1908.  She had a remarkable memory and was an interesting talker on the old days.  She saw General LaFayette at Wheeling and shook hands with him.  She was an educated woman, having graduated from the noted seminary at Emmitsburg, Maryland.  She possessed a bright mind up to the time of her death and was well preserved.  She was a daughter of John and Veronica (Keepers) Baird.  Her mother was the daughter of Isaac Keepers, an Englishman who was a nobleman's son and who eloped with an Irish lass named Katharine McGargle and came to Boston, Massachusetts, and were married there.  They were forgiven by the son's father and they took up their residence in Maryland, the father having given them a large plantation there and numerous slaves to work the same.  John Baird was a cousin of Gen. Andrew Jackson and he fought under him in the war of 1812.  He also fought at Boston when the guns got so hot that the men had to use their shirts to wrap them in to keep from burning their hands.  Nathan Masters was born near Moundsville, Marshall County, West Virginia.  His grandparents settled there before that locality was surveyed by the government when the Indians were numerous in that vicinity.
     Mr. and Mrs. Coleman B. Jackson are the parents of two sons, Clarence and Charles.  The former married Lela Nicholson and lives in Cambridge; they have one child, a daughter, named Mary Roberta.  Charles Jackson lives at home with his parents.
Source:: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2.  - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 881
  SAMUEL JACKSON.  A venerable and highly respected citizen of Pleasant City, Valley township, who is deserving of unstinted praise for his long life of usefulness is Samuel Jackson, who was born in that part of Noble county which was formerly a part of Guernsey county, on May 8, 1829.  He is the son of Henry and Rachael (Tustin) Jackson.  Henry Jackson was from Greene county, Pennsylvania, coming to this county in an early day, settling in what was then the southern part of Guernsey county, where he took up land.  There the father spent the rest of his days, dying in 1837, at the age of sixty-eight years.  He was among the early pioneers and began life here in typical pioneer fashion.  The father was twice married, eight children being born to each wife, Samuel, of this review, being a child of the second marriage.  Rachael Tustin was born in Greene county, Pennsylvania, and there she married Mr. Jackson after the death of his first wife.  After the death of her husband she spent the balance of her days with her son, Samuel, the subject, who spent his youth in Noble county, assisting to develop the farm.  He learned the carpenter's trade in the vicinity of Hartford and Pleasant City and followed the same as long as he was able to work, becoming a very skilled artisan and his services were always in great demand.  He erected many large, substantial houses, barns and other buildings in this locality, including many at Byesville and the commodious structure he lives in at Pleasant City.
     Mr. Jackson was married on Mar. 10, 1853, to Virginia Trott, daughter of Richard and Mary (Simmons) Trott.  She was born in Anne Arundel county, Maryland, in 1824.  Her parents brought her to Guernsey county, Ohio, when she was about seven years old, locating in the southern part of the county, being among the pioneers there, starting life in true first-settler fashion.  She was one of a family of ten children, six of whom died in infancy in Maryland.  The three who lived beside Mrs. Jackson were Mrs. Olethia Larrick, Benjamin J.,  who is the father of Elza Trott, county clerk, whose sketch appears herein, and William C.  The parents of these children spent the rest of their days on their farm in this county.
     When the Trail Run mine was sunk Mr. Jackson did the carpenter work, erecting the tipple and other buildings, and later, in making a change in the roof over the boiler room, he fell about forty feet, injuring his spine.  He partially recovered for a short time, but has been disturbed by the injury more or less ever since and is unable to walk.  He and his wife have lived in Pleasant city ever since their marriage in 1853 and they are probably the oldest inhabitants of this town, which they have seen developed from a few houses in the woods.  They are spending their declining days in peace and comfort in their cozy dwelling, which stands on an eminence, commanding a fine view of the country.
     Politically Mr. Jackson is a Democrat and he is a worthy member of the Masonic order; he and his wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal church.  Nine children have been born to them, namely: Lewis Frederick is a clerk and telegraph operator at the railroad station at Pleasant City; William Henry  died when forty-six years of age; Mary Rosella, wife of Noah E. Secrest; Stephen A. Douglas is a railroad agent at Malta, Ohio; Joseph Alonzo lives at Helena, Montana; Columbia Frances is at home; Samuel Andrew lives in Detroit, Michigan; Linnaeus Griffith has been in the Philippine islands for the past three years railroading and assisting in building railroads; Cleopatra married John Hana and lives in Montreal, Canada.
Source:: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2.  - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 746
  SAMUEL M. JOHNSON.  We admire a man like Samuel M. Johnson, of Fairview, Ohio, for he has shown what honest, earnest, hard work can accomplished, although compelled to hew his own fortune from the obstacles that beset his way, finding pleasure in mounting the ladder of success round by round to the summit.
     Mr. Johnson was born Oct. 22, 1864, on a farm one and one-half miles south of Fairview, the son of Fred and Provy J. (Campbell) Johnson.  The father and mother were both born in Belmont county, Ohio, near the Guernsey county line, and were married while residents of Belmont county.  The father had been a farmer and grain dealer in Barnesville and on the old home in Oxford township, where he operated a flouring mill for many yes.  He was always an active business man and did an extensive grain business at Barnesville in addition to his farming interests and was a successful business man.  He is a Democrat in politics, but not active, though always a voter and interested in public matters.  In the fall of 1907 the parents left the farm and removed to Fairview, where Mr. Johnson now lives a retired life.  In his parents family are eight children, seven sons and one daughter, namely: William E., is on a farm in Oxford township; Samuel M., the subject of this sketch; George W. is captain of police on the Grafton division of the Baltimore & Ohio railroad, located at Grafton; Fred H. is a farmer in Oxford township; Frank, of Wheeling; Herman, in Cambridge; Thomas E., of Colorado Springs, Colorado; Alma E., now Mrs. William E. Slasor, of Avalon, Pennsylvania.
     The son, Samuel M., spent his childhood and youth on the farm and his early education was obtained in the country district schools, and later attended Muskingum College at New Concord, Ohio, during his vacations teaching school.  He was a popular teacher in the schools of Guernsey and Belmont counties for six years.  In March, 1889, he was appointed deputy county auditor and served nearly six years.  He began a course of reading law, while teaching and while deputy county auditor, he completed his law studies with Judge Justice H. Mackey, of Cambridge, and was admitted to the bar in October, 1891.  He began the practice in Cambridge and remained there for a number of years, but failing health necessitated his giving up the practice.  In the fall of 1896 he established the Cambridge Daily Sun and published the daily and weekly editions, which he continued for eighteen months, when he sold out on account of ill health and returned to the country and has since lived in Fairview practicing law, and temporarily has been interested in various business enterprises.  He is a democrat in politics and has always been active in party affairs.  Being a Democrat in a strong Republican county, he has never held any office.  In 1893 he was the Democratic candidate for mayor of Cambridge and was only defeated by ten votes in a city giving nine hundred Republican majority.  He has been a solicitor of the village of Fairview for several years and in 1910 was land appraiser for Fairview corporations.  He is now and has been for a number of years a member of the Fairview board of education.
     Mr. Johnson was married on Mar. 8, 1888, to Letta I. Smith, daughter of Thomas and Mary G. (Gracey) Smith, a prominent family of Fairview.  To this union have been born three sons and three daughters:  Carl M., a clerk in the auditor's office of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company at Pittsburg; Martha G., Marion C., Claire A., Theodore S. and Thomas F.
     Mr. Johnson
is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America.  He and his family are members of the Methodist church; Mr. Johnson is president of the board of trustees and he and his wife are active in church and Sunday school work.  Mr. Johnson is also chorister of the church choir.  Mrs. Johnson is active in the work of the different church societies and the Johnson home is prominent in the social life of the community.
Source:: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2.  - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 642
  ANDREW S. T. JOHNSTON.   A popular and highly honored citizen of Byesville, Guernsey county, who is too well known to need any introduction by the biographer, is Andrew S. T. Johnston, who was born in Richhill township, Muskingum county, Ohio.  Mar. 15, 1855.  He is the son of Francis and Sarah (Spencer) Johnston, the father born in August, 1812, near Tanela, county, Fermanagh, Ireland, and he lived there until 1848. He taught school seven years, eleven months of the year.  On June 20, 1848, he married Sarah Spencer, a native of Weymouth, nine miles from London.  His people have lived in the same big stone house for nearly three hundred years.  In the fall after their marriage FRANCIS JOHNSTON and wife came to America and located near the east line of Muskingum county, Ohio, between High Hill and Cumberland.  There he bought a farm and went to farming.  Two or three years later he sold the first farm and went to a place between High Hill and Chandlersville, and was there at the time the subject was born.  This was the family home until 1869, when the parents moved to Claysville, this county, and lived there the rest of their days.  There Francis Johnston engaged in mercantile business, and also owned a farm on which Claysville now stands.  He was a man who took a high patriotic interest in public affairs.  He was an ardent abolitionist and an active and faithful member of the Methodist church.  From the time he was five years old he very rarely missed attending the regular meetings of his church.  He lived to be eighty-nine years old, dying in 1900.
     Francis Johnston was converted when a young man and continued a faithful member of the Methodist Episcopal church until his death.  His life was a splendid representation of the qualities which make for Christian manhood.  His life came to its earthly close full of years and honors.  He was a teacher in the Sunday school and steward up to within a year of his death.  His character was a rare combination of sweetness and strength.  The uprightness, sincerity and manliness of the man were beyond suspicion, he was a scholar, and loved the Bible, the church and its ordinances.  He died as the good die, with no fear in his heart, no cloud in his sky.
     Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Francis Johnston: Marie J., Maggie, Esther, and Andrew S. T. of this review.
     Andrew S. T. Johnston was about fourteen years old when the family came to Claysville and there he has lived most of his life.  He grew up in the mercantile business with his father.  He attended Muskingum College, at New Concord, then returned to Claysville and continued with his father in the business.
     In 1880 Mr. Johnston married Emma C. Brown, who was born and reared near Claysville.  She is the daughter of William and Harriett (Johnson) Brown.  Her father was a farmer near Claysville and for three terms of three years was a county commissioner.  After his marriage, Mr. Johnston went into partnership with his father, and thus continued as long as his father lived . After his fatherís death he became sole owner of the business and also owns the farm his father owned, adjoining Claysville.  He also ran a creamery at Claysville about five years.  For about thirteen years he was postmaster at Claysville, held that office even for a time after leaving Claysville, until a successor could be obtained.  For many years he was township clerk, having held the office as long as he would accept it.
     In 1901 Mr. Johnston sold his business at Claysville and moved to Byesville.  Here he built and ran a laundry a few years in partnership with his son, Francis W. Johnston.  After Squire Elza Trott resigned as justice of the peace to become county clerk, Mr. Johnston was appointed to fill out his unexpired term.  In the fall of 1909 he was elected to the same office, which he now holds, giving his usual high grade service.  He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, also of the Masons, having attained the degree of Knight Templar. He and his wife both belong to the Methodist Episcopal church.
     Squire Johnston still has a Bible that was given to his father when he was eleven years old.  It was given to the boy as a prize for being the best versed in the Bible of any in the class of which he was a member and in competition with men and women.  It is a highly prized memento in the family.
     Squire Johnston and wife have four children, Francis W., Harriett S., Edwin B. and Edna B.  Edwin B. married Ethel Chapman, of near Byesville, and he now runs a store at Claysville.
     Francis W. Johnston grew up at Claysville, and took a course at Meredith Business College at Zanesville.  After leaving business college he came to Byesville and he and his father started a steam laundry, which they conducted about two and one-half years, but having been brought up in the merchandise business the son was dissatisfied with anything else, and went into the general merchandise business in which he is no\v engaged, in Byesville.  They have a large and most complete stock of merchandise and enjoy a very extensive trade.  Mr. Johnston belongs to the Knights of Pythias; the Pythian Sisters; Masons up to the Knight Templar degree; to the Order of the Eastern Star and to the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and the Maccabees.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2.  - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 597
  FRANCIS JOHNSTON - See ANDREW S. T. JOHNSTON

Source:: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2.  - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 597

  WILLARD B. JOHNSTON.  The life of Willard B. Johnston, an honored citizen of Cambridge, Guernsey county, has indeed been a busy and successful one and the record is eminently worthy of perusal by the student who would learn the intrinsic essence of individuality and its influence in molding public opinion and in giving character and stability to a community.
     Mr. Johnston was born Sept. 1, 1860, in Monroe township, Guernsey county, and he is the son of John A. and Jane B. (Smith) Johnston, both natives of Guernsey county; thus this family has been well known here since pioneer days.  The father was a prosperous farmer and a man of excellent character.  His death occurred in May, 1901; his widow is still living.
     Willard B. Johnston grew to maturity on his father's farm and engaged in the general work about the place during his youth.  He attended the common schools during the winter months in Monroe township.  He remained with his father until he was twenty-one years of age, when, like many another young man of an ambitious bent, he went to the far West to seek his fortune, and located in the state of Washington, later went to Oregon and other points, prospecting, and he remained in that country for three years, and upon his return he became a partner with his father in agricultural pursuits.
     Mr. Johnston was married in January, 1884, to Clara C. Campbell, daughter of John S. and Elizabeth (Oldham) Campbell, of Cambridge township.  Her father was a well-to-do farmer and a highly respected citizen.  Both are now deceased, Mr. Campbell dying about sixteen years ago, and Mrs. Campbell dying Oct. 20, 1910.  To Mr. and Mrs. Johnston one daughter has been born, Mary L., who is still a member of the family circle.
     After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Johnston, continued farming in Monroe township until 1893, when they moved to Cambridge, and since then Mr. Johnston has been engaged in the iron mills of this city.  For a time he conducted a dairy.
     Mr. Johnston has long been prominent in political circles, and is a loyal Republican.  He has frequently been a delegate to county, district and state conventions, where he has made his influence felt for the good of the ticket.  He served as trustee of Monroe township and resigned the office when he left the township and for many years he was a member of the township school board.  In 1908 he was nominated by his party for the responsible office of county commissioner and was elected the fall of the same year, and during the year 1910 he was re-nominated and elected.  He has made a splendid record in this office, and he stands high in the estimation of all parties, always very ably and faithfully, performing his every duty.  He is well qualified in every respect for a public official.  He and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and he is an active worker and liberal supporter of the same.  HE takes a deep interest in all movements looking to the general good of his township and county and is a man whose record is without stain.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2.  - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 624
  WILLIAM F. JOHNSTON.   Among the successful and enterprising business men of Cambridge and a representative citizen of Guernsey county is William F. Johnston, who, although primarily interested in his own affairs, as is quite natural, manifests an abiding interest in the advancement and welfare of his community and for any measure or enterprise by which his fellow men may be benefited.
     Mr. Johnston was born Oct. 20, 1865, in the city where he now resides and which has been his home continuously.  He is the son of William and Martha (Gibson) Johnston, both parents born in Guernsey county.  The grandfather, James Johnston, was born in Pennsylvania, and the grandmother, Jennie Johnston, came to the United States from Ireland and landed in New York, reaching there the day war was declared in 1812.  They lived for a time in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania.  The grandmother, who was known in her maidenhood as Jennie Mahaffey, made the journey from Philadelphia to Pittsburg on foot, when sixteen years old, and carried a younger brother most of the two hundred miles.  The grandparents came to Guernsey county among the very early pioneers, and the first eighty acres of land bought from the government in Adams township is still in the family, never having been transferred, belonging to the undivided estate of the father, William Johnston.  The father was a farmer for a number of years, and about 1858 he came to Cambridge and engaged in the manufacture of carriages on Dewey avenue, and after the smaller factories were handicapped by the larger ones, he engaged in the feed business for a period of fifteen years, or until a few years prior to his death, in April, 1905, and when he retired he had the longest record of continuous business years of any man in Cambridge.  He was a Republican in politics and always interested in public matters, and for many years he was a member of the Cambridge board of education.  He was a stalwart character and a man of sterling integrity.  His widow, who is still living in Cambridge, is known for her many charitable acts and general good works.
     William F. Johnston grew to manhood in Cambridge and was educated in the public schools here.  He began the trade of carriage painter at the age of thirteen years, working for his father.  This he followed until 1889, then he went to Logan, Ohio, and was foreman of the finishing department of the Logan Manufacturing Company.  He remained in that city for four years, or until the factory was destroyed by fire.  He then returned to Cambridge and was with the Cambridge Chair Company until it failed.  He then spent one year in the rolling mill, and in 1897 he engaged in the plumbing business with G. W. Branthoover as partner, and this business has continued ever since and has grown to large proportions and is very successful.  They do everything in the plumbing and heating line and mine and mill supplies.
     Politically, Mr. Johnston is a Republican, but he is not an active party man, though always advocating right measures in local, state and national offices.
     Mr. Johnston was married on Dec. 10, 1896, to Carrie E. Fleming, daughter of Benjamin F. and Elizabeth (Saviers) Fleming, residents of Guernsey county for many years.  The father is deceased, but the mother is still living, in Cambridge at the advanced age of eighty-one years.  To Mr. and Mrs. Johnston two children have been born, a son and a daughter. Kathryne and William F. Jr.  Mrs. Johnston is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and Mrs. Johnston is a regular attendant.  He is a highly respected citizen and a progressive business man.  His splendid residence, at No. 1012 Steubenville avenue, is modern in construction, arrangement and furnishings.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2.  - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 951

NOTES:  

 

..

 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
GUERNSEY COUNTY, OHIO
RETURN TO
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights