OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 
Welcome to
GUERNSEY COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy


BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
History of Guernsey County, Ohio
by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet
- Illustrated -
Vols. I & 2.
B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana -
1911

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO 1911 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO LIST OF BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >
A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


 
JOHN EMMETT GABLE, M. D. D. O.

Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 496

 

  HOMER S. GANDER.  Throughout Valley and Spencer townships, Guernsey county, the Gander family has been well known for many decades, having been prominently identified with agricultural and other interests and ever maintaining a high standard of citizenship.  One of the best known of his name is Homer S. Gander, who was born near Cumberland, Spencer township, this county, March 4, 1877, the son of David and Rhoda (Moore) Gander.  The father was born, reared and educated in the same locality as his son, Homer S., and he was always known as a hardworking, honest and worthy citizen.
     Homer S. Gander lived on the home farm until he was twelve years of age, then began coal mining at Byesville in the old Pioneer mine.  He worked in the mines around Byesville seven or eight years, then went to Pleasant City and worked in the Walhonding mine.  After he was there a few years he was promoted to a position as boss driver, then was made pit boss, which position he held about a year, then, having proven his ability and faithfulness, he was made superintendent of the Walhonding mine, filling that important position in a manner that reflected credit upon himself and to the entire satisfaction of all concerned.  From there he went to the Trail mine No. 2, for the same company, and was there about four months, then was transferred to the Walhonding mine No. 2, where he sunk a shaft and was there six or eight months.  He then went with the Ford Collieries Company and was sent to Pennsylvania, where he sank two shafts, remaining there four or five months, then came back to Buernsey county, on February 8, 1910, and sank the shaft at the New Buffalo mine in the northeast part of Valley township.  About April 1st following he took charge of the Hartford mine, of which he is now superintendent.  He has about two hundred men under him, understanding well not only every phase of mining, but also how to handle his men so as to get the best results possible, being popular with them, for they appreciate his good judgment, fairness and good will.  His rise has been steady and sure since he started as a boy in the mines at seventy-five cents per day, having, by diligence and faithfulness, risen to the front, showing that he possesses unusual ability in gaining the loyal co-operation of his men in the mines.
     Mr. Gander was married to Nellie Secrest on September 22, 1899.  She is the daughter of James Madison and Francis (Young) Secrest, of Pleasant City, a sketch of whom appears herein.  Her paternal grandfather was Harrison Secrest, an old resident of Valley township, and a prominent citizen in the early days among his neighbors.  Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Gander, three sons and one daughter, Paul, Edwin, Mildred and James
     Fraternally, Mr. Gander is a member of the Masonic Lodge No. 360 at Pleasant City and stands high in the order.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 767
  WILLIAM H. GIBSON.  Prominent among the representative farmers of his community in William H. Gibson, who has spent his entire life near Kimbolton and is descended from a family of old settlers.  He was born on December 30, 1837, on a farm near Kimbolton, Guernsey county, Ohio, the son of James and Matilda (Morrison) Gibson.
     James Gibson was born in St. Clairsville, Belmont county, Ohio, and his wife of Virginia, near Wheeling.  Great-grandfather Gibson came from Ireland about 1768, and settled in Washington county, Pennsylvania, and his son William, the grandfather of William H., was born there and came to Belmont county, Ohio, in 1802.  He remained in Belmont county for five years, and then, in 1807, came to Cambridge, Guernsey county, carrying his goods on pack horses and driving his cattle and sheep.  The family came down Wills creek to creek to Cambridge in canoes, driving their stock to the land near what is now Kimbolton, where they settled.  William Gibson had come the year before the entered several hundred acres of land, and then returned to St. Clair county for his family.  A log cabin house was erected by driving forks in the ground, putting up cross poles, and covering the same with bark.  This constituted the family house until the following February, when a more pretentious cabin home was erected, which stood until very recent years.  William Gibson was a prosperous man and active in all matters looking to the good of the community.  He lived to the age of seventy-five, dying in 1849.  His wife, Nancy (Larison) Gibson, lived to be ninety-eight years old, being born on February 23, 1776, and dying in 1873.  Their son, James, the father of William H., the subject of this sketch, was born on November 15, 1804, and when the family came to this county was but about four years of age.  He followed farming, became a large land owner, and was a man active in public affairs, and a devout member of the United Presbyterian church.  He died on September 4, 1895, in his ninety-second year.  His wife died on April 26, 1900.  They were the parents of eleven children, eight sons and three daughters, whose names and the dates of whose births are:  Angelina, born Sept. 7, 1834, died on Sept. 6, 1892; Leroy, born Feb. 8, 1836, died on Sept. 4, 1837; William H., born Dec. 8, 1837; Naphtali L., born Jan. 7, 1842, died on April 13, 1886; Porter W., born Jan. 7, 1844; Anderson, born Nov. 21, 1843, died Nov. 19, 1853; Nancy M., born Feb. 19, 1845; Thomas D., born Jan. 19, 1848, died on Nov. 27, 1848; Margaret J., born Nov. 14, 1849; James M., born Feb. 18, 1852; Milton, born April 11, 1854.
     William H. Gibson grew up on his father's farm and attended the district schools.  He remained with his parents until his enlistment, in September, 1862, as a member of Company B, Fifteenth Regiment Ohio Volunteers, and served until the close of the war, being discharged in May, 1865.  His regiment was in the armies of the Ohio and the Cumberland, a part of General Thomas' corps, and was in the Atlanta campaign, and saw hard service.  Mr. Gibson was never wounded or taken prisoner, and has a splendid war record, always being faithful to his duty, and was often detailed for special services.
     After leaving the army Mr. Gibson worked on the farm with his father until 1870, when he went to Monmouth, Illinois, and engaged in farm work.  He also spent some time in Kansas.  In 1873 he returned to Ohio, and again engaged in farming with his father, remaining with him until his marriage, in May, 1889, to Mary Seward, the daughter of Isaac and Mariah (Marquand) SewardMr. Seward was a prominent citizen of Kimbolton, serving for many years as postmaster and justice of the peace.  The Marquands were one of the families who came originally from the island of Guernsey, from whom the county takes its name.  Mr. and Mrs. Seward died some years ago.  Mr. and Mrs. Seward died some years ago.  Mr. Gibson has always been a farmer and actively engaged until recent years, when he retired.  He has always taken a full share of interest in the affairs of the community.  In politics he is a Republican, and has always been active in party work.  He has served as county assessor, and in 1910 was real estates appraiser for the village of Kimbolton.  He has also been a member of the village council, and is now one of the county board of supervisors of the blind.  A member of Meaghan Post of the Grand Army of the Republic, he has filled the position of quartermaster almost continuously since the organization of the post.  He and his wife are members of the United Presbyterian church.  Both are highly esteemed and respected in their community.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 619
  JOHN ROLAND GRANT.   Back to the picturesque old colonial days is traced the genealogy of John Roland Grant, an influential citizen of Byesville, Guernsey county, and from that historic period to the present day the Grants have figured more or less prominently in various walks of life.
     John Roland Grant is the son of William Merriman and Catherine Washington (Rogers) Grant.  William M. was the son of John Grant, of Baltimore, Maryland.  John Grant was the son of Capt. John Grant, Sr., of the Revolutionary war.  John Grant, Jr., of Baltimore, was an American soldier in the war of 1812, and died in Canada while on an expedition in pursuit of British forces.  Capt. John Grant, Sr., came from Scotland with his brother and that brother was the grandfather of Gen. U. S. GrantWilliam M. Grant the subject's father, was born in Baltimore, Maryland, and at the age of nine years he was left an orphan and went to Pennsylvania in a good farming district and lived with one of his father's brothers, who reared him.  When he became a young man he learned to be an auger maker, and became  a very skilled workman.  When about twenty-five years old he became an engineer on a vessel plying between Baltimore, Maryland, and New Orleans.  He made his home much of the time with his brother, John Grant, who then lived at Natchez, and who invented the first dredge used in Baltimore harbor.  Later John Grant was taken by the government to New York harbor to build a dredge there.  He finally became very prosperous, and built the canal around the city of Natchez that was used by the government during the Civil war, and he made a great deal of money out of the canal tools.  The subject's mother lived in Hartford county until her marriage, after which she continued to reside there for some years. 
     John R. Grant
was born in Harford county, Maryland in 1849.  He was one of the family of nine children, as follows:  Catherine Rogers Grant, widow of William Hoopman of Byesville, whose sketch is noted elsewhere; Susannah Ames Grant, now the wife of John N. Fordyce, living in Harding county, Ohio; Anna Mary wife of William Thompson, living near Lore City; John Roland Grant, subject of this sketch; Lucinda Jane wife of G. S. Trenner, the banker of Byesville, whose sketch appears elsewhere; Elizabeth Barrett Grant, of Ashtabula county, Ohio; Elizabeth Merriman Grant, widow of W. T. Trenner, deceased, lies in Byesville with Mrs. William H. Hoopman; Marcieline Roby Grant, wife of Elmer Burt and lives in Byesville.
     It was in April, 1856, that John Roland Grant's parents came with their children to Guernsey county, Ohio.  They located just east of Byesville on the north side of Wills creek, where the father, William Grant, bought the old John Bye homestead.  For a time they lived in the old brick house that is still standing in good condition, but a few months later moved into the large frame house close by, which Jonathan Bye had just vacated.  There was a store room in the latter house and there William M. Grant ran a general store about twenty years.
     Mr. and Mrs. William M. Grant lived at Byesville the rest of their days.  Mr. Grant was a Democrat, took an interest in the life of the community and held various township offices.  Both he and his wife belonged to the Methodist Protestant church.  Mrs. Grant died Mar. 18, 1878, and he died May 30, 1885.
     John Roland Grant grew up at Byesville to which he came with his parents in 1856.  In May, 1873, Mr. Grant married Sadie L. Orr, daughter of Sanford and Phoebe (Burt) Orr.  She was born and reared near Byesville.  After his marriage he built a house on Gomber street in Cambridge and took position as baggagemaster and freight man for the Baltimore & Ohio railroad.  He continued there about two years, then moved to the east part of the county and raised a crop of tobacco.  The next spring in the year 1877, he moved back to the home place east of Byesville and moved into the brick house on his father's farm, and it was there that Mrs. Davis was born, after which they remained there about two years, then removed to Byesville, engaged in various enterprises, chiefly running a compressed air machine at Old Akron mine.  He continued there till the big shut down in the coal mine about 1888.  He quit the miens at the expiration of that time and he and his brother, E. B. Grant, bought the store of Oscar Holberg and dealt in groceries and provisions under the name of Grant Brothers.  They continued about three yeas and then, on account of hard times, sold out to L. S. Reasoner.
    
After that Mr. Grant and his brother and two others established a labor paper at Byesville called The Industrial WorldThey published it about six months at Byesville, then moved it to Jackson county, Ohio, where they continued about six months longer, and was there about three years longer, most of the time in the coal mines.  At the expiration of this time Mr. Grant moved to Leesville, Carroll county, Ohio, and worked in the mines near Sherrodsville.  Was there about two years, then moved to Canal Dover and started to work building the new Reeves tin mill.  When it was completed he was made night foreman and worked at that for about seven years, until the mill was closed down and removed from the town.  He then went to Newcomerstown to take a place as night foreman at the new sheet mill there, but as the prospects there for a successful mill were discouraging he remained only three months then removed to Canton, Ohio, where he took a job as night foreman of the Trust Mills about four years.  Then he came to Byesville, and took a position laying the pipe line at Derwent, and then got to running the electric pump at the Ideal mine and has been there ever since.
     Mr. and Mrs. Grant have five children: John Roland, Jr., who married Margaret McClintock, of Ulrichsville, lives at Strutha, Ohio; Adora May married Andrew Tinker, of Conneaut, where they reside; Maude is the wife of William H. Davis, Jr.,  whose sketch appears elsewhere in these gray pages; Sanford O. Grant who married Jane Smith and lives at Cambridge, is a roller in the sheet mill; Myrtle married Charles Brand and lives in Byesville.  Mr. and Mrs. Grant are both of Spiritualist faith.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vol. I. B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 961
  ELMER ELLSWORTH GREEN.  Among the well-known and influential residents of Byesville is Elmer Ellsworth Green, a man who has given much thought to the problems of the present day, and who is well fitted for leadership among his fellows.  He was born in Jackson township, Guernsey county, Ohio, on Feb. 15, 1871, the son of James and Agnes (Finley) Green, whose sketch appears herein.  His boyhood was spent in Byesville, where he attended the public schools and graduated from high school.  Since that time he has en engaged in coal mining, and is thoroughly familiar with all of its phases.
     In politics Mr. Green is a Democrat.  In 1892 he was elected city clerk of Byesville, and was twice re-elected, serving for three terms of two years each.  For the next five years he was township clerk for Jackson township, and ever since he has been clerk of the township board of education.  In 1906 he was elected mayor of Byesville, but, because of lack of time to devote to the office, resigned it.  A few years he made the race for county treasurer and came as near being elected as any Democrat could have been in this strongly Republican county, he having run nearly a thousand votes ahead of his ticket.  In his fraternal relations he is a member of the Knights of Pythias, and was for many years the keeper of records and seal in his lodge.  He is a member of the American Mechanics and one of its strongest supporters, and for fifteen years was secretary of the local organization.  Recently he was appointed by the secretary of state to be local registrar of Jackson township and Byesville, which form District No. 220.
     In 1907 Mr. Green wrote a history of Byesville, which work was highly creditable, both from a historical and a literary point of view.  He has also written many articles for various newspapers, chiefly on topics concerning labor and politics.  He is very popular and is one of the best informed residents of the county on local and county matters.
     Elmer E. Green is a solid and substantial citizen, and an able representative of a well-known and honored family of the county.  With all the sentiments of a true and worthy character, he unites a keen appreciation of the humorous side of life in a way to make himself at once an able and conscientious adviser and a jolly good fellow.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page  932
  FRED FINLEY GREEN.  Among the highly respected and progressive citizens of Byesville, Guernsey county, is Fred Finley Green.  For many reasons he is deserving of special mention in a work of this character, for his life has been one of consecutive endeavor along such lines as the public is glad to sanction and approve, and he is at all times honorable and straight forward in his dealings with his fellow men.
     Mr. Green was born northeast of Byesville, on April 13, 1878, and he is the son of James and Agnes (Finley) Green, who are given proper mention in a separate sketch in this work.  When Fred F. was about five or six years of age the family moved into Byesville and this has been the home of the subject nearly ever since.  He attended the local schools and graduated in the first graduating class in 1897, and in 1900 he graduated from the college at Ada, Ohio, taking the civil engineering course, and in 1901 he was graduated from the same institution in electrical engineering.  Thus well equipped for his life work, he returned to Byesville and took up civil engineering in the coal mines of the James W. Ellsworth Coal Company.  When that firm sold out to the Wills Creek Coal Mining Company, he went with other companies, giving his usual satisfaction.  He is at present doing the engineering for the Imperial Mining Company, the Puritan Coal Company, the Cambridge Valley Coal Company and the Guernsey Valley Coal & Mining Company, with headquarters at Byesville.  He is regarded as an expert in his line and his services are in great demand.
     Mr. Green was married on Jan. 25, 1902, to Jennie Tuck, daughter of John and Mary Tuck; she was born in England near South Church, and she emigrated with her parents to America when she was not quite five years of age and located at Delroy, Carroll county, Ohio, and lived there until 1900, when the family moved to Byesville, where they now reside.  She graduated at Delroy high school in 1899.  Six children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Green, named as follows:  Esther Marie, Ernest Everett, Wendell Graham, Lucile Evelyn, Mildred Margaret and Herbert J.
     Mr. and Mrs. Green
belong to the Methodist Episcopal church, and are faithful in their attendance and support of the same.
     John Tuck, father of Mrs. Green, was born in England, not far from London, probably in Essex, on Nov. 9, 1859, and he is the son of James and Emily (Thurlow) Tuck.  In his youth he was a fireman at the coal mines, in England, later becoming an engineer.  He married Mary Jane Matthews of Durham county, England, the daughter of Richard and Jane (Graham) Matthews.  Mr. and Mrs. Tuck came to America in May, 1886, locating in Carroll county, Ohio, but in 1888 they moved to Byesville.  Remaining there a short time, he returned to Carroll county and made that his home until 1900, then moved back to Byesville where the family now reside.  Mr. Tuck belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Masonic fraternity.  He and his wife both belong to the Order of the Eastern Star and also the Rebekahs.  Both the Tuck and Green families are highly respected and popular in their communities.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page  867
  JAMES GREEN.  The president sketch is concerned with the life of one of the most worthy citizens of Guernsey county, a man who in his lifetime was prominent among his fellows, James Green.  He was born about two miles north of Byesville, Guernsey county, Ohio, on Jan. 22, 1847, the son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Foraker) Green.  Jacob Green was of Pennsylvania-Dutch descent, and his wife, who was a distant relative of Senator Foraker, was born at Sandusky, Ohio, on Feb. 15, 1816, while the Indians were still there.  When Jacob Green and wife came to Guernsey county they had to cut their way through the woods.  Deer and other game were then abundant.  He bought a farm near the present location of the Ideal mines, north of Byesville, getting his land from the government, some of the deeds being signed by President Jackson.  Here he and his wife made a home and spent the remainder of their lives.  They were the parents of ten children, all of whom grew to maturity, namely: Obadiah, deceased, who was a soldier; Mrs. Mary Ann Cole, now of Abingdon, Illinois; Isaac Green, deceased, who was a soldier; Mrs. Rhoda A. Slay, of Byesville, the widow of David M. Slay; Mrs. Lavina Brown deceased; Hugh, of Linton Mills, Coshocton county, Ohio; George of Noble county, Ohio; James, deceased, the subject of this sketch; Mrs. Charity Clippinger, deceased; and John, of Cambridge, Ohio
     James Green grew up on the old farm north of Byesville.  In 1870 he married Agnes Finley, a daughter of David and Elizabeth (Graham) Finley who was born in Ohio county, West Virginia.  David Finley was born near Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, and Elizabeth Graham was a native of West Virginia, a daughter of James and Agnes (Finley) Graham.  James Graham was a native of Ireland, and in all probability was descended from the Scotch Covenanters, and through a long line of dukes, earls and marquises in England.
     James Green was a farmer, but also engaged in coal mining.  In 1881 he moved to Byesville, built a house at the corner of Mill and Seneca streets, and lived there the balance of his days.  There were six children in his family: William S.; Elmer E., for whom see his sketch; Daisy, now Mrs. Charles Sleders; Fred F., for whom see his sketch: Mrs. Elizabeth McAuley, and Harry, all married save Elmer and HarryWilliam is business manager of the Byesville Enterprise; Mrs. Selders lives at Byesville, her husband being an engineer at the Ideal mines; Mrs. McAuley lives at Christopher, Illinois; Harry is a clerk in the Ogara Coal Company's offices at Derwent, Ohio.
     James Green died on Dec. 11, 1904.  He was a kind husband and father and a good citizen, trusted and respected by all who knew him.  In his dealings with mankind he was honest and straightforward, and tried to practice the Golden Rule and to treat every one in a manner worthy of a good American citizen.  Being of a quiet and reserved disposition, his circle of friends may not have been as broad as that of many others, yet those who truly knew him never doubted his integrity, honesty and friendship.  He was greatly missed by many whom he had befriended in their adversities.  He and all his family were members of the Methodist church.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 931
  WILLOUGHBY B. GREEN.  One of the most progressive and influential business men of Cambridge and one of the representative citizens of Guernsey county is Willoughby B. Green, who was born Aug. 15, 1853, in Noble county, Ohio, on a farm, the son of Edward F. and Isabelle (Spooner) Green.  Both parents were born in Noble county, Ohio, both the Greens came from Worcester, Massachusetts.  The Spooners were also a New England family and both parents were active in the early pioneer life.  Edward F.  wa a farmer and a large land owner in Noble county.  He served through the Civil war in the signal service, stationed mostly in the Red River district, serving till the close of the war.  After his discharge he bought a farm in the northwestern part of Missouri, where he located, engaging in the grain buying and shipping business, carrying on an exclusive business for the Chicago and St. Louis markets.  After a number of years of successful business he sold his interests in Missouri and came to Cumberland, Guernsey county, where he entered the general mercantile business and in 1875 he sold out in Cumberland and moved to Cambridge, where he engaged in the mercantile business, buying property and continuing until January, 1903, when he retired from active business live.  He has attained the advanced age of eighty-six years, hale and hearty, and is yet greatly interested in all current and public matters.  He was originally a Whig and since the organization of the Republican party he has been an ardent Republican.  Although always interested in public matters, he was never an office seeker.  He has been a member of the Baptist church since childhood and always active in church and Sunday school work.  He is a man of strong convictions and very methodical and conscientious in all his business matters, a sincere Christian man.  Mr. Green, mother of W. B., died about 1862, and Edward F. Green married Eliza M. Graham, of an old established family of this county.  She is living
     Willoughby B. Green is the only child of his parents.  He spent his early youth on the farm on Noble county and was educated in the public schools of the home locality and also attended the Central high school at Williamsburg, Missouri, after the family moved to that place.  He assisted his father in his farming and grain business and attended school until about twenty years of age, when he came to Cambridge from Missouri and learned telegraphy in the Western Union office at Cambridge and soon became the manager of that office, which position he held for eight yeas, when he was made manager in the Western Union office at Circleville, for one year, then, going to Mexico, was with the Santa Fe railroad and the Wells Fargo Express Company at Los  Lunas, New Mexico, where he remained only part of a year.  He then returned to Cambridge, from where he was sent to Charleston, West Virginia, as a manager of the Western Union office for one year in an important and very busy office.  Resigning at the close of a year at Charleston, he returned to Cambridge and entered the mercantile business with his father, remaining here until Jan. 1, 1903, doing a very large and successful business at the corner of Wheeling avenue and Fifth street, which property they still own.  After retiring from the mercantile business he engaged in the general insurance and real estate business, purchasing the old established business of Thomas G. Kerr, deceased, which consisted of some of the oldest and best companies doing business and Mr. Kerr had represented these companies for about thirty years, the best of the companies including the Ohio Farmers, the Continental of New York the Connecticut of Hartford, the American of New Jersey, the Fire Associations of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the Fidelity Underwriters of New York and some twenty-five other companies, all strong and reliable.  The business has grown under Mr. Green and he now has a larger line than any other agency in the county, having a business of over ten million dollars in force, by far the largest of any agency in the county, Mr. Green writes fire, life, accident, explosion, plate-glass, windstorms, security bonds, employes' liability, steam boilers and live stock insurance.  He also handles real estate and makes loans.  Mr. Green is a very busy and, in addition to his extensive business interests, he is a director of the Cambridge Loan and Building Company, and is active in the management, the company having a capital of one million dollars.
    Mr. Green has been twice married, first, in November, 1880, to Anna Simons, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Simons early residents of Cambridge.  One son, Edward L. was born to this union, who is now the special state agent for the Connecticut Fire Insurance Company of Hartford, Connecticut, his home being with his father in Cambridge.  He is a bright, successful young man.  Mr. Green died in the summer of 1885, soon after the return from New Mexico, where Mr. Green had gone because of the failing health of his wife.  He was married on Oct. 14, 1900, to Lyda D. Scott, daughter of Elza M. and Mary Scott.  Mr. Scott being a prominent coal operator and salt producer in Guernsey county.  The Scotts were an early family in the county and Mr. Scott was among the best business men of the county.  He was a very successful coal operator, doing business as the Scott Coal and Salt Company, four miles east of Cambridge on the Baltimore & Ohio railroad.  Mr. Scott died a few years prior to 1900 and his widow about 1899.
     Mr. and Mrs. Green are members of the Presbyterian church.  Mr. Green is an elder and trustee of the church, which positions he has held for several years.  They are both active in church work and in the Sunday school, he being superintendent of the Sunday school for many years.
     Mr. Green is a member of the Masonic order, also of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, both the subordinate body and the encampment, and he has been a member of the board of trustees for many yeas and chairman of the board for fifteen years.  He was a member of the building committee when the fine I. O. O. F. Temple was built in 1896 and he is active in the work of both the Masons and the Odd Fellows, having passed all the chairs in the latter fraternity.  He has represented the district at the grand encampment.  He is a Republican in politics and has been active in the affairs of the party.  He has served as a member of the city council for some years and was a member of the body when the saloons were first put out of Cambridge by a vote of six to four, in a council membership of ten.  This was in 1901.  He has always been a temperance advocate and worker in the county.  Mr. Green has never been an office seeker, but has always maintained a lively interest in public matters and keeps himself well informed.
     Mr. Green is an ardent church worker and devoted to her home and family.  The family home, which is among the most attractive in the city, is located at No. 317 North Seventh street and everything about it indicates refined taste, culture and comfort.
     Mr. Green is a splendid citizen and, like his father, much can be said of him as a loyal and upright citizen.
     Willoughby B. Green's son, Edward L., was graduated from the Cambridge high school, then entered the Ohio State University at Columbus, remaining for two years when he entered business with his father, fitting himself for special insurance work.  In Jan., 1909, he became, as before stated, special state agent of Connecticut Fire Insurance Company, of Hartford, over a large class of applicants, and has made good, standing well in the insurance business.  A fine young man in character, habits and business ability.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page  937
  JOHN B. GREGG.  Although yet a man young in years, the life of John B. Gregg, one of the best known citizens of Cambridge, Guernsey county, has indeed been a busy and successful one and the following record of the same is eminently worthy of perusal by the student who would learn the intrinsic essence of individuality and its influence in molding public opinion and in giving character and stability to a community.  He has successfully met and overcome the usual obstacles that lie in the pathway of every ambitious man in his efforts to reach the goal sought.
     Mr. Gregg was born on Apr. 5, 1879, near Senecaville, in Noble county, Ohio, and he is the son of James M. and Cynthia (Finley) Gregg, both parents also natives of Noble county.  Both these families were among the earliest pioneers in this section of the state, and they were prominent in both business and social life.  James M. Gregg is a successful farmer and prominent in the affairs of his county, and he and his wife have a host of warm personal friends there.
     John B. Gregg spent his youth on the home farm and engaged in the usual farm work.  He obtained his early education in the country schools and was graduated form the high school at Senecaville.  He subsequently entered the university at Lebanon, Ohio, and received the degree of Master of Science; he also obtained the degree of Civil Engineer from the Ohio Northern University at Ada, and a year later he took a special course in mathematics at Cornell University at Ithaca, New York.  During the years of his college course he taught school for some time, and after leaving college he taught for one year in the high school at Cambridge in the department of mathematics, and one year prior to that he taught mathematics and physical science in the high school at Franklin, Ohio.  He was among the most popular educators of the county and his services were in great demand.  He was popular with both pupil and patron and was both an instructor and entertainer in the school room, and no doubt had he continued in this line of endeavor he would have ranked with the leading educators of the state.  Since leaving Cambridge high school in 1902 he has been devoting his time and attention to civil engineering of a general character, and during the year 1907 he was employed by the city of Zanesville as city engineer, during which time some very important city improvements were under construction.  Since 1907 he has been associated with his brother, James E. Gregg, in the lumber business, operating in Guernsey, Tuscarawas and Noble counties, Ohio.
     Both these gentlemen are Republicans in politics, but they are not active in party affairs, though always interested in public matters and all movements having in view the betterment of conditions affecting the general public have their hearty support.  On Jan. 1, 1910, James  B. Gregg was appointed director of public safety for the city of Cambridge, which important trust he is filling to the satisfaction of all concerned.  Although a Republican, he was appointed by a Democratic mayor, because of his eminent fitness for the position.  He is a thirty-second-degree Mason and is prominent in this time-honored order.  He has never married.  He is a gentleman of pleasing personality, unassuming, refined and cultured, profoundly educated, courteous in his relations with his fellow men and he retained the warm and abiding friendship of all with whom he associates.  His individuality, which is very distinct, is impressed upon any work with which he is connected, and in the accomplishment of a purpose he is willing to assume any amount of labor required for any measure of responsibility incurred.  In brief, he is a broad-minded, genial young man without pretense, whom to know is to respect and honor. 
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 537
  WILLIAM DENNISON GREGG.  The history of Valley township, Guernsey county, would be incomplete without mention of a man of excellent family and wide acquaintance, an able farmer and efficient miner, whose worthy character has gained for him many  friends - William Dennison Gregg.  HE was born in Buffalo township, Noble county, Ohio, on Oct. 4, 1859, the son of Col. William J. and Mary Ellen (Ball) Gregg.
    
Col. WILLIAM JACKSON GREGG was born in Buffalo township, Noble county, Ohio, on Sept. 2, 1830, the son of Jacob and Nancy (Heel) Gregg, both of whom were natives of Wales.  William J. grew to manhood in the township of his birth.  In 1855 he married Mary Ellen Ball, the daughter of Jonas and Amy (Archer) Ball, who was born at Sarahsville, Noble county, and lived there until her marriage.  Her father was from Wales and her mother was born in Noble county.  After their marriage, William J. Gregg and his wife lived on a farm in Buffalo township.  In 1862 he enlisted in Company I, Sixty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served about a year, when he received a discharge because of sickness.  After his return he joined the state militia, and became a colonel in that organization after the war.  He spent his life in farming, and was one of the prominent agriculturists of his county.  In politics he was a Republican, and for six years was commissioner of Noble county, besides holding other offices.  In August, 1887, Colonel Gregg moved to what has ever since been the Gregg home, along the north line of Noble county, about two and one-half miles southeast of Hartford, Guernsey county.  Colonel Gregg and his wife were both members of the Methodist Protestant church.  He died on Jan. 3, 1905, and his wife is still living on the home place in Noble county, which is just across the county line from the Walhonding mine No. 2 in Valley township, Guernsey county.  Colonel Gregg was a man of much influence in his neighborhood, and highly respected. 
     Colonel and Mrs. Gregg became the parents of eight children: Jonas Homer, of Missouri; Mrs. Amy Ann Secrest, deceased; William Dennison; Mrs. Alice Pearl Secrest, deceased; Mary Emily; now Mrs. Simon Isaac Dudley; Martha Jane, the wife of Charles Sherman Dotts, of Pleasant City; Louisa Belle, widow of Martin V. Cale; Carrie, wife of Samuel Clark Groves, whose sketch see elsewhere.
     William Dennison Gregg grew to manhood on his father's farm in Noble county.  On March 1, 1887, he was married to Leah Birdilin Drake, the daughter of John W. and Mary (Larrick) Drake.  She was born near Mt. Zion in Buffalo township, Noble county, on March 14, 1865.  Her father, John Wesley Drake, was born on February 2, 1837, and died on Dec. 26, 1904.  He was the son of Elisha and Rebecca (Clark) Drake.  Through Rebecca Clark, the family traces back it ancestry to a soldier in the American Revolution.  Rebecca was the daughter of Benjamin and _____ (Gregory) Clark.  Benjamin Clark, who lived from 1790 to 1872, was the son of a Revolutionary soldier.
     The Drake ancestry can be traced back as follows:  John Wesley was the son of Elisha, who was the son of John and ____ (Kackly) Drake.  John Drake's mother was a White before marriage, and the mother of ______ Kackly, his wife, was a Whitman before marrying his father.
     Mrs. Gregg's mother was from an old pioneer family in Guernsey and Noble counties.  She was the daughter of James Hall Larrick and Margaret (Dudley) Larrick.  James Hall Larrick was the son of Jacob Larrick (born on June 30, 1773) and Catherine (Spillman) Larrick (born on April 2, 1875).  Jacob Larrick was a son of Frederick Larrick.
     For four years after marriage Mr. and Mrs. Gregg lived in Noble county, but in 1892 he bought a farm bordering on the south line of the eastern portion of the Valley township, and has ever since been a resident of Guernsey county.   His residence is large, well built and well kept, situated on high ground overlooking the valley near the Walhonding mine No. 2.  Besides farming, he has engaged in coal mining for many years.
     Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Gregg: Roy Raymond, born on Jan. 26, 1888; Lora Lenore, born May 9, 1890, and Byron, born on Nov. 16, 1901.  Mrs. Gregg died on Nov. 23, 1901.  She was a true helpmate, a loving mother, and a consistent Christian, both she and Mr. Gregg being members of the Methodist Protestant church.  Mr. Gregg is a Republican in politics.  He is a reckoned among the solid and substantial citizens of his community.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 589
  SAMUEL CLARK GROVES.  Descended from ancestors who took a prominent part in the affairs of their community, himself a young man of high standing and honorable career, the records of Valley township would be incomplete without mention of Samuel Clark Groves.  He was born near Cumberland, Guernsey county, Ohio, on November 4, 1871, the son of David and Rebecca Elizabeth (Clark) Groves.
    
The Groves family has a tradition to the effect that the family was originally that of Von Graf in Germany, that the ancestors were expelled for political reasons, and later came to Maryland with Lord John Calvert, first Earl C., was born in Maryland, and was, with a brother and sister, brought to Noble county, Ohio, by his parents, locating in the neighborhood of Mt. Ephraim descendants are still well known residents of that locality, in which David Groves was born.  Rebecca E. Clark was born a short distance northwest of Pleasant City and was the daughter of Samuel G. and Mary Ann (Longsworth) Clark, for whom see sketch of Robert I. Shepler.  After marriage David Groves and his wife lived for about a year in Noble county, then moved to near Cumberland, Guernsey county, where they lived for about ten years, on a farm of eighty acres, which in 1880 he sold and then bought a farm in the western portion of Valley township, consisting of three hundred and twenty acres, where he made his home until his death.  Two children were born to his first marriage.  Mary Edith and Samuel Clark. Mary Edith married Lawrence Garber, an attorney, and died on the first Monday of September, 1907 (or 1997).  She left four children, Anson, Ethel, Ruth and Martha, while her fourth child in order of birth died in infancy.  Mrs. David Groves died in February, 1896, and in 1899 David Groves married Mrs. Martha J. Heinlein, and thereafter made his home in Pleasant City, though still supervising his farm.  His second wife was a sister to his first wife.  David Groves died in 1902.  In politics he was a life-long Republican.  During the Civil war he served in the One Hundred and Sixty-first Ohio Infantry, and was wounded in the leg while in action in Maryland, and it was from trouble caused by his old would that his death was occasioned.  David Groves  was a man of strong character and considerable influence in the communities in which he resided.
     Samuel C. Groves  grew to manhood on the home farm in Valley township.  He attended college at New Concord, and also took civil engineering at Ada, Ohio, graduating in 1894.  For two terms before attending Ada he taught school, and after leaving college he engaged in civil engineering in connection with farming.  For three years he was civil engineer for the National Coal Company, and did their engineering work at the Little Kate, Little Kate No. 2 and Minnehaha mines, also making out their pay rolls and performing other services.  He has also done engineering work at a number of other places.  For some years he has had charge of the old far, and now owns the entire place, having bought out the other heirs.  In politics he is a Republican, and has often been urged by his friends as a candidate for county offices.
     In 1898 Samuel C. Groves was married to Carrie D. Gregg, who was born near Chaseville, Noble county, Ohio, the daughter of Col. William J. and Mary (Ball) Gregg.  Her father was a soldier in the Civil war, and was nearly blinded in the service at Charlestown, South Carolina.  Her mother was descended from the famous Ball family of Virginia, of whom George Washington's mother, Betty Ball, was a member.  Mrs. Groves attended normal school at Cambridge, and taught for six years.  When Mrs. Groves was teaching school she gained a great reputation for cleanliness, not only in the school room, but in the grounds and general surroundings.  She required the children to keep clean and keep their books clean and to always put their books away in their proper place.  She is a strong advocate of better sanitary conditions in our schools, a matter which she believes every mother should become interested in.  Her home and home surroundings are a fine example of her idea of cleanliness.  Mr. and Mrs. Groves are the parents of three interesting little daughters, Ellen Jane, Elizabeth and Marjorie.  Both Mr. and Mrs. Groves are members of the Bethel Methodist church, as were his parents.  They live in an unusually comfortable and well improved country residence.  Mr. Groves is reckoned as one of the solid and substantial citizens of the county, and has by his true worth made many friends.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 773

 

NOTES:  

 

..

 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
GUERNSEY COUNTY, OHIO
RETURN TO
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights