OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 
Welcome to
GUERNSEY COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy


BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
History of Guernsey County, Ohio
by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet
- Illustrated -
Vols. I & 2.
B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana -
1911

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO 1911 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO LIST OF BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >
A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


 
  JAMES D. ABELS.  No more progressive or broad-minded citizen is to be found in the vicinity of Byesville than James D. Abels, and no more public spirited man in Guernsey county, consequently he is gladly given a place in this history.  He was born near Middleton, Guernsey county, in 1834, and is the son of John, Jr. and Mary Ann (Seveard or Bevard) Abels.  The paternal grandfather, John Abels, Sr.,  was the son of a pilot on the ocean vessel that plied between Holland and New York city and it is believed that he was born in Holland.  His father, the pilot, brought him on a trip to New York when a small boy, prior to the year 1800 and on the voyage the father died, and the boy was left alone at New York.  A stranger took him up-town and kept him over night, taking him to the market the following morning, and inquired if any one wanted a boy to raise.  Thomas Thorne, a farmer living near the city, being pleased with the boy's appearance, took him and reared him, keeping him until he was married.  Later he moved to Guernsey county, Ohio, and settled near Middleton, taking up land, being among the early settlers.  His son John Abels, Sr., was born in 1808, and grew up in Guernsey county and there married Mary Ann Bevard.  Her parents came from Maryland and were pioneers in the locality lying between Middleton and Quaker City.  Nine children were born to this union:  Rachel, James D., Rebecca, Nancy, Margaret (who died when three years old), William, Sarah Jane, Phoebe and Susan M.
    
About 1840 John Abels, Jr., entered land in Washington County and moved there, but his land lying in the midst of an almost impenetrable forest, he had to stop on his removal thereto several miles away until a road could be cut to it.  On his trip he took his family and all his belongings in a wagon drawn by oxen.  A short time before he came another had cut a road to his own new home, which was about two miles from that of Mr. Abels.  This road was followed by the latter as far as it went, then he finished cutting a road to his land; then went afoot until he found where he could get water.  He then cut a road back to his wagon and brought the family on into the forest, cleared a little space, drove down stakes and plied brush over them for a shelter to live under until he could clear a larger space and build a log cabin.  So dense and unbroken was the forest that the father got lost on his own farm, one evening, only two or three hundred years from his home, but hearing the cow bell, followed his cows home.  In due course of time he had a good farm cleared and improved, James D. taking his share of the work.  The father made this his home until 1873, then sold out and moved to the southwest part of Jackson township where he bought a home and there he and his wife spent the remainder of their days, dying there and they are both buried at Mt. Zion church cemetery, having been members of that church.  The father had been a Baptist minister back in Washington county, also preached in adjoining counties, but he gave up active preaching when he moved to Guernsey county, although he still preached occasionally.
     James D. Abels grew to maturity on the farm in Washington county.  After he grew into manhood he came over into Jackson township, this county, and worked about a year in the mines and on the farm, and here he met the woman he later married.  Returning home, he remained there a year, then in April, 1858, returned to Jackson township and married Rebecca Delarue, daughter of John and Martha (Dennison) Delarue.  She was born and reared in Guernsey county, her father having come to this country form France.  He died in 1846, leaving a widow and large family to be supported on an eighty-acre farm which he owned.  The mother died in 1876.  After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. James D. Abels established their home in the western part of Jackson township, directly south of the court house in Cambridge.  When Mr. and Mrs. Abels were married he ran the farm for her, later bought more land adjoining and now has a fine farm of one hundred acres, which is well improved and under a high state of cultivation.
    Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Abels, one of whom is deceased.  They are:  John T.,  who lives on the home farm, married Alta Beach and his family consists of nine children, of whom six are living, Charlie, Harry, Thomas, Albert, Frank and Eva.  William E., who is a general merchant in Byesville, married Mary Long, and has had a family of five children:  Virgie died in Iowa when four or five years old; James D.; Jonathan, Roy and Dorothy.  Mary M. married Alexander Newman, and their children, four of whom are living, are Ethel, Ora, Otto and Homer; Mary, their other child, died in 1907.  Cora Abels married W. K. Booth, a grocer in Cambridge, and they became the parents of six children, only two of whom are now living: Vera and Freda.  Elizabeth married Durward Williams; they live in Salesville and have two children: Bernetta and Cora.
     Mr. Abels
was one of the loyal sons of the North who fought to defend the flag and Seventy-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in which he served very faithfully, and he is now a member of the Grand Army of the Republic post at Cambridge.  He and his wife belong to the Mt. Zion Baptist church near his old home in Jackson township.  About 1903 he moved his family to Cambridge, with the expectation of buying a home there, but a year later decided to locate in Byesville, and they now have a beautiful and comfortable home there.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2.  - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 613
  WILLIAM JOHNSON ADAIR.  Influential and prominent in his neighborhood, a man who has made a success of his vocation, and has in many ways aided in the development of his community is William Johnson Adair, who was born on March 11, 1853, in northwestern part of Valley township, Guernsey county, the son of Joseph and Sarah Ann (Johnson) Adair.
     Joseph Adair
was born either in Washington or Greene County, Pennsylvania, and came to Belmont county, Ohio, with his father, Robert Adair, when young.  About 1846 he came to Guernsey county and located in the southwestern part of Valley township.  In February, 1848, he was married to Sarah Jane Johnson, the daughter of William and Charlotte (Lazear) Johnson.  Her parents came from Pennsylvania, where they were married in 1814, and shortly after the birth of Sarah Jane Johnson, in 1828, they came to the southwestern portion of Valley township, where the Opperman mine is now located.  Charlotte Lazear was the daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Braddock) Lazear; Thomas died in 1858, at the age of eighty-eight; Joseph  died on August 15, 1822, at the age of ninety-seven.  All the Lazear family down to Charlotte  were buried in Greene county, Pennsylvania. 
     The Johnsons and Adairs were both Scotch-Irish, their ancestors being Presbyterians, and originally Scotch Covenanters, and both families came to this county from either Washington or Green counties, Pennsylvania.  Joseph Adair was in his early days a carpenter here.  In 1852 he moved from the southwest part to the northwest part of Valley township, which remained the family home.  Here Joseph died in 1864; his wife survived until December, 1903.
     William J. Adair was one of six children:  Almira married Robert Davidson, and lives in Spencer township, Guernsey county; John Wesley was born in 1850, and died in February, 1879; William J. was the third child in order of birth:  Isabel was born in 1857 and died in 1876; Charlotte married Jacob Salladay, whose sketch see; Joseph Howard was born in 1864, and died in 1867.  Joseph Adair was a Democrat and was township trustee for many years.  He and his wife were both faithful members of Bethel Methodist church and were highly respected by all who knew them.
     William J. Adair grew up in the community in which he was born, and was in his twelfth year when his father died, after which his mother bought, pursuant to an agreement made by the father, the farm two miles west of Derwent, where William J. has sine lived.  He was married in December, 1873, to Mary Elizabeth Clark, the daughter of William F. and Ada (Gregory) Clark.  Her mother was born in September, 1828, the daughter of Noble and Sarah (Spencer) Gregory.  Her father came from Ireland, and her mother from New Jersey.
     William F. Clark was born in March, 1825, and reared northwest of Pleasant City in Valley township and was married in December, 1851.  He is the son of Benjamin and Mary Ann (Gregory) Clark.  Benjamin Clark came from Pennsylvania in very early days.  William F. Clark and wife were the parents of eight children.  Martha Jane died in childhood.  Mary E. is the wife of William J. Adair.  Clarissa lives in Valley township with her mother and brother Samuel.  Samuel Gregory now lies with his mother on the home farm.  Rosa died when a young woman.  Allen and Alice were twins, Allen is a physician of Joplin, Missouri, Alice married Hayden McKinley, and lives in Kansas, not far from Joplin, Missouri.  Martha Jane was the wife of Joseph Davidson, and died on June 4, 1896, leaving one son, Clovis.  William F. Clark was a Mason, and he and his family were members of the Methodist church.  He died on December 22, 1894.  His wife survives, and is in her eighty-sixth year.  Mr. Clark was a trustee of the church, and a steady, faithful member.
     To Mr. and Mrs. Adair six children were born: Olive is a home with her parents.  Ross Wesley, who is pastor of the Methodist church at Larimore, North Dakota, married Maud Elizabeth Carmen, of East Liverpool, Ohio, and has one child, Robert.  Emma Charlotte is teaching at Joplin, Missouri.  Ala is teaching at Amsterdam, Ohio.  Joseph Paragoy is attending Northwestern University at Evanston, Illinois.  Leonard Benson is at home with his parents.
     William Adair has held various township offices.  He is a member of the Masons at Pleasant City, and he and his wife and children are members of the Methodist church at Derwent, in which he is a class leader, trustee and Sunday school teacher 
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2.  - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 763
  PERRY M. ALBIN.  The present review is concerned with the deeds of one of the oldest residents of Guernsey county, who has during his life witnessed many changes in the customs and manner of living of the people.  In the days of his youth the farmers of Guernsey county used to haul six-horse loads of tobacco to Baltimore, and bring back goods for the use of their families; now they are supplied with the best of all manufactured articles at their own homes, and other changes have been proportional to this one.  And when his family first came to this county, it was then the home of numerous red men, and the present fertile farming country was then a forest wilderness.  But within the life of one man these great changes have taken place. 
     Perry Milton Albin was born on the old Albin farm, a short distance northwest of Pleasant City, Guernsey county, Ohio, on January 26, 1834, the son of Abraham and Mary Elizabeth (Trenner) Albin.  Abraham Albin was born in the north part of West Virginia, near Big Capon river, on December 25, 1798, the son of James Albin, who at the age of eighteen enlisted in the Revolutionary army and served through the war.  In the spring of 1806, James Albin brought his family, including Abraham  as a lad of 1806, James Albin brought his family, including Abraham  as a lad of seven, to Guernsey county, and entered land south of Dewent, where he made his home.  He had stopped on his way one year near Wheeling, then finished the journey, which was made by wagon.  Then the county was sparsely settled, with only a small settlement at Cambridge.  The nearest mill was at St. Clairsville, and they pounded corn in the hominy box to get meal for food.  James Albin spent the remainder of his days on this farm.  He was twice married, and by the first marriage was the parent of two sons and a daughter, by the second, of four sons, of whom Abraham was one, and six daughters.
     Abraham Albin grew up on his father's farm, and on October 4, 1819, was married to Mary E. Trenner, the daughter of Henry Trenner and on aunt of Benjamin Trenner, whose sketch see for the Trenner family.  She was born in West Virginia on January 31, 1797.  After marriage Abraham Albin looked about for a farm, and decided that land west of Claysville was not worth paying taxes on, though he could have gotten it for one dollar and twenty-five cents per acre.  He came back near his old home and paid four hundred dollars for one hundred and thirty-five acres northwest of Pleasant City, later increasing his holdings to two hundred acres.  Here he spent the remainder of his life, and kept store for several years at Pleasant City, and for about a year at his country home.  Eleven children were born to Abraham and Mary Albin; Amos, Sarah, Henry, George, Moses, David, Milton, Thomas, Abraham, Peter and Martha Jane.  Abraham Albin, Sr., died on April 22, 1863, and his wife on April 15, 1875.  Three of their children are now living:  Thomas, on the old home farm; Martha, the widow of Joseph Dyson, who lives near Thomas; and Perry M.
     Perry M. Albin
grew up on the home farm, and married Margaret E. Trott on May 17, 1855.  To this marriage six children were born: Thomas Francis, on April 6, 1856; Asbury Sylvester, on April 1, 1858; Charles Strahan, on June 28, 1860; Viola on October 19, 1862; Michael, on April 20, 1866, and William A., on September 19, 1867.  Mrs. Albin died on October 31, 1868; Michael, on May 11, 1866;  William A., on September 1, 1868; Thoams F., in June, 1877.
     P. M. Albin was married to Lydia M. McCoy, on August 9, 1869, and of this marriage six children were born:  Edward M., on October 23, 1870; Osborn O., on August 9, 1873; Jennie Mabel, on April 22, 1878; Perry E., on February 10, 1877; Blanche L., on October 23, 1881; and Elva, on July 26, 1882.  Lydia M. Albin died on September 19, 1885.  Osborn, Jennie and Blanche all died in infancy.  On August 1, 1892, Mr. Albin was married to Mrs. Jane (Spaid) Secrest, the widow of Melville A. Secrest and the daughter of J. E. Spaid, whose sketch see.  She bore to Mr. Secrest two children, Arthur M., and Virgil, now the wife of Roy Kackley.  To Mr. Albin she bore two children, Ira C.,  on February 10, 1893, and Octa W., on April 21, 1904, both of whom are at home with their parents.
     Mr. and Mrs. Albin are both members of the Methodist church.  Mr. Albin has been a successful farmer, has many friends, an is a man of sterling and upright character.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2.  - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 531
  RICHARD M. ALLISON.  We read with interest the biography of a man, especially one young in years, who, by indomitable courage, overcomes the many obstacles found in the pathway of everyone who has an ambition to attain to heights above the mediocre.  Such a man is Richard M. Allison, one of the progressive citizens of Cambridge, Guernsey county, in which city he was born, on Sept. 12, 1875.  He is the son of John A. and Hannah (Moore) Allison.  The father was born in this county, and was the son of John and Martha Allison, who came to the county among the early pioneers form Pennsylvania, and they were among the founders of Cambridge and they were active and prominent in the early development of the county.  When a mere youth the father began working with the Scott Coal and Salt Company, with which he remained for a period of twenty-one years, which was the earliest and largest operating company of its kind.  His family becoming of school age, he realized the necessity of better educational advantages and he left the employ of the Scott Coal and Salt Company and moved to Cambridge in order to obtain such advantages.  Upon coming here he began work for the Cleveland & Marietta Railroad Company as car inspector and was with this company until incapacitated for so strenuous a line of work, so he resigned and accepted the janitorship of the South Side school building, which he held for eleven years, or until his death, on Apr. 25, 1910.  After leaving the Scott Coal and Salt Company and  prior to going with the railroad company he was superintendent of the Cambridge workhouse.  Politically, he was a Democrat and he served in the city council from the fourth ward for two years and he was always prominent and active in public matters.  He was a devout member of the Baptist church for many years, was a deacon in the same and was treasurer of the local church from 1890 until his death.  He was also a Sunday school worker.  He was a man of exemplary habits and positive traits of character and he had a host of warm personal friends.  He was a member of the Cambridge Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and Ambridge Lodge, Knights of Pythias, and was an active lodge worker, having served in all the official capacities and at the time of his death he was the oldest living member in both these lodges.  His widow survives and is living in Cambridge.  She, too, is a devoted member of the Baptist church and is known for her charitable deeds, always finding time to give aid and comfort to her suffering neighbors, although devoted to her own home and family.  She is the mother of five children, namely:  William A. an engineer for the Pennsylvania Railroad Company; John A. is shipping clerk for Suitt Brothers; Anna is now Mrs. F. B. Scott, of Newark, Ohio; Kenneth died Nov. 18, 1905, at the age of eighteen years; and Richard M. of this review, he being the eldest of the family.
     The education of Richard M. Allison was obtained in the public schools of Cambridge.  Leaving school at the age of sixteen years, he found employment with the Cambridge Chair Company, with which he remained for nine years, learning the trade of hardwood finisher.  He became an expert at this, but resigned to become an employe of the Cleveland & Marietta Railroad Company's shops at Cambridge in 1901, and he was with this company for eight years in charge of the paint shop.  In March, 1908, he resigned his position with the railroad company and engaged in the upholstering and picture framing business for himself.  He continued to this line of business until the fall of 1909, when he was elected mayor of Cambridge on the Democratic ticket, assuming his official duties on Jan. 1, 1910.  Although the city is largely Republican, he defeated his opponent by two hundred votes, which is certainly criterion enough of his excellent standing here and of the universal confidence in which he is held by all classes.  He is a good mixer, a man of integrity and much native ability, and his administration started off very auspiciously, and he is doing many things for the city that will be of permanent good to the community and will endear him to his constituents and the people in general.  His able and judicious administration so far has proven the wisdom of his selection for this important office.  He is an uncompromising Democrat and has always been interested in public matters; he was never before a candidate for any office.
     Fraternally, Mr. Allison is a member of the Cambridge lodge of the Knights of Pythias, and has been ever since old enough to be come a member.  He has passed all the chairs, and held the offices of trustee and financial secretary.  He is also a member of the Modern Woodmen of America.
     Mr. Allison was married on Oct. 21, 1896, to Jessie D. McKinney, daughter of Jesse and Sarah (Morrow) McKinney.  Her father served in the Union army throughout the Civil war, and he was a man of wonderful physical strength.  He was foreman company for many yeas in this capacity.  Prior to that time he was a blacksmith and wagonmaker in Cambridge.  His death occurred Feb. 10, 1910.  He retired to his farm several years previously and spent his last years enjoying the comforts of life as a result of his former years of activity.  His wife preceded him to the grave, dying on Feb. 3, 1897.  Both are buried in the Cambridge cemetery.
     To Mr. and Mrs. Allison have been born five children, three sons and two daughters, Donald M., Sarah Vernita, Harrold K., Richard M. and Dorothy.  Mr. Allison and wife are members of the Baptist church and are active in church and Sunday school work.  Mrs. Allison is a most estimable woman and has a wide circle of friends.  Mr. Allison was always a baseball enthusiast and has lost none of his interest in the game, - in fact, he is an advocate of all healthy athletics, especially outdoor sports.  He is a man of fine personal traits and is deserving of the confidence which is reposed in him by everyone and of the high esteem in which he is held.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vol. I. B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page
907

John M. Amos
JOHN M. AMOS.  The name of John M. Amos stands deservedly high in the list of enterprising business men of Guernsey county, his long, useful and unusually active career having been fraught with much good to himself and family and also to those who have come into contact with him.  His life has been such that he is held in the highest esteem by all classes.  He was born August 20, 1839, in Belmont County, five miles north of St. Clairsville.  His parents were James G. and Jane (Gillespie) Amos.  In April 1848, these parents, with their four sons, settled in Monroe county, now Noble county, near Summerfield, where John M. grew to young manhood, working on the home farm and attending school each winter.  In 1856 he spent the winter with his uncle, John Major, after whom he was named, in Belmont county, where he had the advantage of instruction under Alex. Wilson, a graduate of Franklin College and a renowned teacher.  He became well educated and began teaching in the common schools at the age of eighteen years, and, saving his earnings, he began a course of study under the care of Joseph C. Clark and Capt. William Wheeler, where he was a fellow pupil with John Hamilton, now a noted bishop of the Methodist Episcopal church.  Later he entered, as a student, Allegheny College, Meadville, Pennsylvania, when Rev. Dr. Loomis was its president, but owning to the breaking out of the Civil War his regular course of study was interrupted, and after one year in Ontario Academy, under the instruction of Professor Boyd, he pursued his studies as he taught school and worked on the farm, until, by private study and occasional recitations to tutors, among whom were the late J. S. Foreman and D. S. Spriggs, he completed a course of legal studies and was admitted to practice law in the state courts and later in the federal courts.   He was also honored with the degree of Master of Arts by Allegheny College.  He holds a high school life certificate from the board of state school examiners.
     Mr. Amos pursued teaching as the principal of schools in Batesville and Caldwell and at the same time reviewing his legal studies, and he later engaged for about ten years in the practice of law.  In 1872 he formed a law partnership with Fred W. Moore, an excellent young lawyer, and they brought the Caldwell Democratic newspaper, but Mr. Moore's death soon afterwards left Mr. Amos with the entire management of the newspaper and of their law business, which he soon practically abandoned and ever since has devoted his time and attention to journalism, from 1872 to 1884 with the Caldwell Press, and from 1886 to the present time with the Cambridge Jeffersonian, which he bought of the late John Kirkpatrick.  He is now the president of the Jeffersonian Company and senior editor of the daily and weekly editions.  He has been very successful in the field of journalism.  He has made his paper here one of the best in every respect in this part of the state, valued as a news disseminator, an advertising medium and as an exponent of the people's rights.  It is attractive in mechanical appearance and shows at a glance that it is under a splendid system and able management.  It has rapidly increased in circulation, and the plant is equipped with modern appliances and is a valuable property.
     Mr. Amos was married in 1862 to Elizabeth Franklin McClintock, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James McClintock, of Noble county, formerly of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania.  To this union six children were born, four sons and two daughters, all living except the eldest son, James Ernest, whose death occurred on February 22, 1891, and the youngest daughter, who was called away in August, 1873.  The wife and mother passed to her rest in 1873.  Mr. Amos was married again, in 1875, to Mary E. Waller, of Jackson township, Guernsey county, who died September 11, 1904.  To this last union two sons, Harry W. and Frank B., were born.  Four of Mr. Amos's sons are now associated with him as stockholders of the Jeffersonian Company, in Cambridge.  One son is superintendent of the J. E. Addison Manufacturing Company and resides in Belmont, Ohio.  The sons are all bright, well educated and enterprising business men and the entire family stands high in all circles.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2.  - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 544
  CHARLES MELVIN ANDERSON.  A popular and successful merchant of Byesville and one of the progressive and public spirited citizens of Guernsey county is Charles Melvin Anderson, a man who is deserving of the confidence which all classes repose in him and of the large success which is today his, for he has lived a very industrious and honorable life and has sought to keep untarnished the excellent family name which has been known here for several generations.  His birth occurred in Jackson township, this county, on October 12, 1868, and he is the son of Matthias C. Anderson and wife, who are fully mentioned in another sketch in this work.  Young Anderson grew to maturity on the home farm and there began working when a mere boy, attending the district schools during the winter months.  He later took a term in the Byesville high school under Prof. John A. Bliss.   While a young man he did quite a large amount of agency work, taking orders for tea and other commodities.  His mind was always commercially inclined and he very early evinced marked innate ability in the mercantile field.  He began working in a general store at Trail run, in Jackson township, for O. E. and Caleb Trinner.  He then went with Moss Brothers & Rigley, with whom he remained until they sold out to the Wills Creek Supply Company.
     In October, 1899, Mr. Anderson  came to Byesville and started in business for himself, buying a gents' furnishing establishment of J. E. Addison & Company, and he at once put in a stock of stock of shoes and clothing, taking as a partner in business his brother, O. L. Anderson. They enjoyed a liberal patronage from the fist, being men of hustle and true business ability.  In 1903 Charles M. purchased the interest of his brother, O. L. Anderson, going to Columbus, where he opened a jewelry store.  On September 22, 1904, the store adjoining that of the subject was entirely destroyed by fire, including contents.  Only a five-thousand-dollar insurance was carried on a twelve-thousand-dollar stock of goods.  After the fire Mr. Anderson bought a half interset in the lot where his store was located and he and L. S. Resoner built the large cement block building in which the store is now located at Depot and Seneca streets, Byesville.  Mr. Anderson's was the first stock of clothing in Byesville and was the only stock for many years, and, although it has since withstood a great deal of competition, it is still growing and does a very large business, having a prestige second to none.  On April 8, 1905, the new building was finished and Mr. Anderson took J. E. Booth into partnership with him.  In the fall of 1907 he bought Mr. Booth's interest.  In the summer of 1908 Mr. Resoner sold his interest in the building to John Carnes, of Cambridge, and he is still part owner of the same with Mr. Anderson.
    
Besides his large clothing store, Mr. Anderson has other interests, being regarded as one of the leading business men of the county.  He has an interest in the Hall Gas Engine Works and in the Citizens five, ten and twenty-five cent store at Cambridge.
     Mr. Anderson  has been a prominent member of the Knights of Pythias for about twenty years.
     On October 1, 1902, Mr. Anderson was married to Nancy Adeline Coulter, a lady of culture and refinement and the representative of an excellent and influential old family.  She was born at Cutler, Washington county, Ohio, and is a daughter of Isaac B. and Esther C. (Goddard) Coulter.  Her father was for many years prominently engaged in business at Cutler, and when Mrs. Anderson was fifteen years of age she went into her father's store.  He disposed of his business, retaining, however, the day goods department of his store, which he moved to Byesville, locating three doors from Mr. Anderson's place of business.  The daughter took charge of the store, which was the first exclusively dry goods store in Byesville and it while she was conducting the store that she and Mr. Anderson met.  Her parents still reside at Cutler, her old home.  Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Anderson, named as follows:  Mary A., Harry C., Esther E., Ida M. and Bertha L.
     Mr. and Mrs. Anderson
belong to the Methodist Protestant church, and they are both prominent in the social life of this community and have a host of warm personal friends.  Like the rest of his family, Mr. Anderson is a diligent, honest, straightforward, genial and genteel business man, who makes a success of whatever he turns his attention to, and he has so conducted his business that he has the confidence and good will of all classes.  He is a man of broad charity and kind impulses and always ready to do his full share in promoting the general good of his community.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2.  - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 818
  MATTHIAS C. ANDERSON.  Among the honored veterans of the Civil war living at Byesville, Guernsey county, is Matthias C. Anderson.  There is much that is commendable in his life record, for he has been found true to duty in every relation, whether of a public or private character, and while energy and unbending industry have been salient features of his business career, he is equally well known for his uprightness and the honorable methods he has always followed and for his loyalty to every trust reposed in him.  Mr. Anderson was born in Richland township, not far from Lore City, Ohio, April 28, 1837.  He is the son of JOHN and Hannah (White) Anderson.  The mother, who was born in Belmont county, was a daughter of John White and wifeJOHN ANDERSON was born near White Haven, England.  He worked in a canvas factory in boyhood in England, then became a sailor, and was in the English navy, and near the close of the war he deserted the English warship off the shore at Charleston, South Carolina, with three companions, towed ashore and ran away into Virginia, traveled at night and hid during the day, until convinced that they were safe.  He went on to Beaver county, Pennsylvania, where he got a place weaving with an old Irishman.  The runaway sailors had a novel way of choosing their route of travel.  They set up a stick at cross roads and which ever way it fell two out of three times they went in that direction.  Mr. Anderson stayed in Beaver county several years, and then came down the Ohio river with people en route to Kentucky and left them at Wheeling.  He came to Belmont county, Ohio, and went to weaving with a man named James White, whose niece, Hannah White, he married.  He then set up an establishment of his own for weaving, had a loom, a swift and quill and wheel , along with the other things needed for the work.  Hannah White's father was from Maryland and her mother was German.  Her wedding dress was calico at one dollar a yard.
     Before the National pike was built, Mr. Anderson and wife emigrated to Guernsey county in wagons, driving his sheep.  Guernsey county was woods and swamps then.  A sheep got swamped, the father tried to get it out and fell back into the mud himself.  His wife had been so opposed to coming that she thoroughly enjoyed his discomfiture.  He bought a farm of eighty acres, in Richland township, a few years later, when it was all in woods, buying the land from Jack Barrett, an old hunter.  Deer and wild turkey were very plentiful then.  He counted eleven deer at one time in a wheat field.  John and Hannah Anderson had two children born in Belmont county, the others being born in Guernsey county.  One died in infancy, the others were:  Sarah, James, Katherine, John, William, Thomas, Mary, Amanda and Matthias.  Mary is living on the old homestead and she and Matthias, of this review, are the only survivors of this large family.
     John Anderson bought eighty acres of land and eventually had one hundred and sixty acres.  He kept on weaving, lived all the balance of his life on the farm in Guernsey county, and became a good farmer later in life, though ignorant of it in early life.
     He and his wife belonged to the Methodist Episcopal church, he having been converted at Senecaville after he was married.  His mother belonged to the Church of England.
     Matthias C. Anderson, who grew up on the home farm, was the youngest of the family.  At the age of fourteen he was put to plowing and worked hard at this and general farm work.  On January 22, 1862, he enlisted in Company B, First Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, and was in the Army of the Cumberland.  He was fortunately never wounded nor taken prisoner, but at Pittsburg Landing he took the fever and was in the hospital about a month at St. Louis.  He was hurt by a falling horse at Clifton, Tennessee, before the spell of fever.  He was discharged, because of disability, the last of December, 1862, or first of January, 1863.  He stayed at home, disabled by ill health, nearly a year, unable to work, but when he got stronger he farmed for his father, who was getting old. 
     On October 25, 1866, Mr. Anderson married Catherine E. Rogers, daughter of Lawson W. and Alice A. (McGaw) Rogers.  After his marriage, Mr. Anderson stayed a year on his father's farm, then bought a farm two miles south of Byesville, in Jackson township, in the spring of 1868.  They lived there until 1904, then moved to Byesville, where they now reside and live a retired life.  He subsequently bought fifty-one and one-half acres, now owning in all one hundred and thirty-one and one-half acres.
     Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Anderson.  The first, Hannah Alice, died in infancy.  Two daughters and two sons grew to maturity, namely: Charles Melvin, who resides in Byesville; Orthello L., who lives in Columbus, Ohio, and has a jewelry store there, married Mary Engle; Minnie J. married Benson Larrick, and lives at Ava, Noble county, where he is in the grocery business; she has two sons, Benson Melvin and Dwight O.;  Flora L., who is at home with her parents in Byesville, is a woman of much thrift and business ability.  The whole family are members of the Methodist Protestant church.
     Lawson A. Rogers and wife, parents of Mrs. Anderson, lived in Hartford county, Maryland, and were married there.  In October, 1842, they came to Guernsey county, Ohio, and settled in Jackson township about four miles southeast of Byesville, not farm from Hartford.  There they bought a farm of one hundred and sixty acres, most of which was in the woods.  Mr. and Mrs. Anderson still have eighty acres of the original farm.  Seven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Rogers; Sarah J., George F., Lawson H., Catherine F., Mary M., Roland J. and Lucinda S.  Sarah Jane is dead.  Lawson H. Rogers enlisted in the army, on August 18, 1862, in Company H, One Hundred Twenty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  He was in the Army of the Potomac and took part in the battle of Winchester and many others.  He was wounded and taken prisoner at the battle of the Wilderness, was taken to Richmond, then to Lynchburg, Virginia, and died a prisoner of war.  His left limb was amputated before his death.  He is buried at Lynchburg, Virginia.  George F. who lived two miles south of Byesville, was a farmer and he died in 1908.  Mary M. is the wife of John L. Bruner, of Cambridge, whose sketch appears elsewhere in these pages.  Roland James died February 28, 1905, in the old home neighborhood, south of Byesville, Lucinda S. is the wife of Joseph F. Bruner, brother of John L. Bruner, and lives in Richland township, on a farm.  Lawson Rogers and wife lived the rest of their lives on the old home in this county.  Both belonged to the Methodist Protestant church.
     When Mr. Anderson's mother first came here, nearly a hundred years ago, she planted an apple tree that still bears fruit.  It was grafted and for a time bore four kinds of apples.  Their old country home was a beautiful place, not fancy but well kept, with many beautiful rose bushes and orchards and well kept lawns.  There remains about one hundred and sixty-eight acres in the old homestead.  The family are plain and substantial citizens, thoroughly reliable, industrious and thrifty, praiseworthy citizens, esteemed and honored by all who know them.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2.  - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 813
  ALEXANDER W. ARBUCKLE.  For many reasons Alexander W. Arbuckle, an honored citizen of Byesville, Guernsey county, is entitled to representation in this history, not the least of which is the fact that he is one of the loyal "boys in blue" who saved the national union for succeeding generations and to whom we owe too huge a debt of gratitude to ever be paid.  He has spent practically all his life within the borders of Jackson township, where he was born on May 13, 1848.  He is the son of James W. and Isabel (Henry) Arbuckle, both natives of Allegheny county Pennsylvania, from which state the father was brought to Guernsey county by his parents about 1810 and here he grew to manhood.  He entered one hundred and sixty acres of land from the government in the southwest section of Jackson township.  It was here that he married Isabel Henry.  She was brought here when a child by her parents.  James W. Arbuckle cleared most of his farm, which at first was all virgin forest.  Later he traded for another farm in the same township, and he lived near Mt. Zion until his death in 1884.  He was a Republican and a member of the old Cambridge Baptist church in its early history, being active and a regular attendant.  His wife died in August, 1857.
     Alexander W. Arbuckle, of this review, was the youngest of a family of ten children, of whom three were sons: Joseph died when eighteen years of age and James lived in Cambridge township, married and reared a family, devoting his life chiefly to farming; one sister, Leah, still lives in this county and is now the widow of Jackson Burns, and lives near the old home in the western part of Jackson township.
     Alexander W. Arbucke remained on the home place until the latter part of the Civil war when, on February 22, 1864, he enlisted at Cambridge for three years' service in Company B, Ninety-seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry, although he was not sixteen years of age at the time.  He was sent south and participated in the following engagements: Rocky Face Ridge, Adairsville, Resaca, Cassville, Dallas, New Hope Church, Pine Mountain, Kennesaw Mountain.  HE was seized with typhoid fever and was sent to the hospital at Chattanooga, Tennessee.  He was detailed for hospital duty at Camp Dennison, Ohio, May 19, 1865, by special order from the war department.  His regiment saw some very hard service during the closing days of the war, was under fire two hundred and twenty days and lost six hundred and seventy-three men in battle.  Mr. Arbuckle was quartermaster of Davis Kimble Post No. 662, Grand Army of the Republic, at Byesville.
     After the war he came back to the old home and remained two or three years, then went to Illinois and was there three years on a farm.  Returning to this county, he was married on September 19, 1874, to Mary Jane Reynolds, of Jackson township, the daughter of Samuel and Leah (Sigman) Reynolds.  Her parents came from the same county in Pennsylvania as did Mr. Arbuckle's parents and were old settlers in the county.
     After his marriage, Mr. Arbuckle farmed most of his life, although he worked some in the coal mines.  About 1878 he bought a small farm near Mt. Zion and lived there until he sold it and moved to Byesville, where he has lived ever since.  In 1886 he bought the place where he now resides at the corner of Second, High and Grant Streets.  About 1895 he bought a farm about a half mile west of Byesville where he maintains a dairy which is very popular with the people of this town and vicinity.  Since about 1900 he has owned and operated a threshing machine.  He also owned a farm in Cambridge township for five years, then sold it.  He has a very wide acquaintance in this part of the county, where his threshing takes him through several townships every year.
    Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Arbuckle, James Leroy and Leah Belle.  The son is in business for himself in Byesville, owning a harness and general leather establishment, and has a very satisfactory trade.  The daughter married Owen Mackley and lives near her father in Byesville.
     Mr. Arbuckle is a member of Byesville Lodge No. 763, Independent Order of Odd Fellows.  He has taken an active part in the political life of his county and is an unswerving Republican.  For eight yeas he was trustee of Jackson township, and in 1910 he was nominated for infirmary director by a good majority, and on November 8th was elected, his selection meeting with universal approval among all classes.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2.  - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 725

Howard W. Arndt
DAVID ARNDT.  A gentleman to whom the following tribute is paid embodies all the necessary pre-requisites and necessary qualifications, in a marked degree, to insure success in the medical profession, and by energy and application he is drawing to himself a large and remunerative practice, and at the same time is building up an enviable reputation, being recognized as one of the leading physicians of Guernsey county and a man of honor and integrity at all times.
     Mr. HOWARD W. ARNDT, of Lore City, Ohio, was born April 12, 1872, near Senecaville, Guernsey county, but his paternal home was just over the county line in Noble county.  He is the son of David and Elizabeth (Ward)  Arndt.  The father was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, while the mother is a native of Noble county, this state.  The Arndts are of German descent, Grandfather Charles Arndt coming from Germany in 1818, first settling in Washington county, Pennsylvania, and he came to Noble county, in 1836.  He was a cabinetmaker, being the first in the locality where he settled on the borderline between Guernsey and Noble counties.  His death occurred in 1861, after a useful and upright life.  His son, David Arndt, the father of the Doctor, was a carpenter and followed that trade most of his active life.  In an early day the Arndts bought land near Cambridge, and for many years the grandfather worked at his trade here; however, the family finally settled near Senecaville, where Charles Arndt spent the remainder of his life and he and his wife are buried in the cemetery there.  When advanced in years David Arndt gave up carpentering and devoted his attention to his farm near Senecaville, in Noble county.  He is now living in retirement and with his wife lives at Senecaville, on the Guernsey county side, the town being on the dividing line between Guernsey and Noble counties.  Mr. Arndt has reached the age of eighty years, while his wife is seventy-three.  They have journeyed down life's pathway, through its sunshine and shadow, hand in hand, for a period of fifty-two years, this union having been a most fortunate and harmonious one.  November 5, 1910, marked the fifty-second anniversary of their marriage.  In their family were four daughters and one son: Howard W., of this review; Allie, who married James Callow, of Platteville, Colorado; Texanna, who married George Black, of Columbus, Ohio; Ruth, who married Hugh Bergmer, of Senecaville; Bartha, who married Tecomseh McLaughlin, a farmer living on the old homestead.
     Howard W. Arndt spent his childhood and youth on the home farm and his early education was obtained in the district country schools, attending later, for a short time.  Muskingum College at New Concord.  In 1893 he entered Starling Medical College at Columbus, Ohio, and, making an excellent record there, he was graduated from that institution on March 25, 1897.  Two days later he located in Lore City and began the practice of his profession, and he has been here ever since, building up a very satisfactory patronage and taking a very high rank among the leading medical men of this locality.  He is not only very successful as a general practitioner, but also as a surgeon and he has the full confidence of the people in both lines of this practice.
     The Doctor was married on December 30, 1897, to Carrie Melick, daughter of John and Mary (Davis) Melick, of Malta, Morgan county, Ohio.  Her father was formerly an undertaker in that city, but is now retired.  His wife is also living; they were never residents of Guernsey county.  Doctor Arndt has no children.
     In addition to his extensive practice Doctor Arndt is engaged in large farming operations, being the owner of two fine farms adjoining Lore City, mostly bottom lands in the Leatherwood valley.  They are well improved, well kept and under a high state of cultivation.  He engages in general farming and gives special attention to the raising of fine stock, cattle and horses, being an excellent judge of both.  His cattle are regarded as of the best grade for grazing purposes and when ready for the market always command top notch prices.  He is a breeder of thoroughbred Percheron horses, which are always in demand.  His residence is in Lore City and is one of the most attractive, modern and convenient in the vicinity.  He is a member of the county, state and national medical societies, and he belongs to the Senecaville lodge of the Independent order of Odd Fellows, having been allied with the same since he was twenty-one years of age.  He also belongs to the Masonic order and holds affiliation with the Cambridge chapter of Royal Arch Masons, and the Cambridge commandery of Knights Templar.  He and his wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal church, the latter being organist at the local church and interested in church and Sunday school work, being a teacher in the latter for years.  She is a member of the Rebekah Lodge at Lore City, and the Order of the Eastern Star of Quaker City.
     Doctor Arndt is an ardent advocate of outdoor sports and recreation, and he likes to spend a day occasionally with his dog and gun.  Politically, he is a Republican and has long been active in the affairs of the party, and he has served as a member of the Republican county central committee and is a frequent delegate to county, district and state conventions, and he always makes his influence felt at such gatherings.  He has never been an office seeker, being too busy with his large practice and his extensive farming and stock raising.  He is always ready to aid in any cause looking to the general advancement of his community, is one of the leading citizens of Guernsey county in every respect, and the Arndt home is prominent in the social life of the community.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2.  - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 608
  ROBERT HENRY ATKINS.  The name of the late Robert Henry Atkins will long be remembered by the people of Guernsey county, for it is a name that was ever associated with the material, civic and social progress of the community.  No aspersions can be made on any action of his during an extended pilgrimage here, and for a half century has was one of the leading business men and representative citizens of Cambridge.  He was a man of the highest ideals, straightforward in all his business transactions and a man of splendid address.
     Mr. Atkins was a fine type of the genteel Southern gentleman of the old school, his birth having occurred in Orange county, Virginia, November 29, 1829, and, although he spent the major part of his life in the Buckeye state, having come to Guernsey county with his parents when ten years of age, he evinced traits of the cultured and hospitable son of the Old Dominion all his life.  With the exception of a year or two spent in Washington City, he spent his life in the city of Cambridge, receiving his education in the local schools and starting in business here when a young man.  He was married in January, 1852, to Martha A. Hyatt, daughter of Noah Hyatt, another prominent early family, a record of whom appears in this volume.  To Mr. and Mrs. Atkins nine children were born, of whom five are living, as follows:  Bertha, wife of M. R. Patterson, of Columbus; Maley M., wife of S. M. Burgess, of Cambridge; Rose R., wife of A. L?. McCullough, of Ashland, Kentucky; Robert Noah, jeweler of Cambridge, whose sketch appears herein; James Henry, also of Cambridge.
     In very early life Robert H. Atkins, engaged in the mercantile business.  He maintained the first book store in Cambridge and in 1862 embarked in what was from that time the occupation of his life, the jewelry business.  From an humble beginning he forged his way to the front in due course of time, by industry, honest dealing and close application, with the unflagging aid and encouragement of his estimable wife, building up one of the largest as well as one of the most reliable jewelry establishments in this part of Ohio, this store being twice as old as any other jewelry establishment in Cambridge.  He always carried a neat and well selected stock and his repair department was considered second to none in the country.
     The death of this estimable citizen occurred on March 7, 1892, after an illness of several months.  His kind and genial manners brought to him both old and young as patrons.  While he was in no sense of the word a politician, he was always in accord with the principles of Democracy, and, though loving the retirement of home, he never neglected to exercise his just prerogative as a citizen.  He became a member of the Presbyterian church in January, 1870, and he was a useful and influential member as long as he lived, regular in his attendance and liberal in its support.  He was treasurer of the local church for many years.  He was a good and useful man against whom no word of unkindness could be uttered for to know him was to admire, revere and respect him.
     After his death, Mrs. Atkins continued the business for about fifteen years, showing herself a woman of unusual ability in business affairs.  She still makes her home in Cambridge, and, like her esteemed husband before her, is highly regarded by a wide circle of warm personal friends.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2.  - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 599
  ROBERT NOAH ATKINS.  One of Cambridge's progressive and worthy young business men is Robert Noah Atkins, for he has demonstrated beyond a doubt what one can do who has a well defined purpose, energy, persistency and who does not admit the word "fail" to his category.  He comes of an excellent old family and was born in Cambridge in 1874.  He is the son of Robert Henry and Martha (Hyatt) Atkins, whose life records are given in a separate sketch in this volume; suffice it to say here that they each represented pioneer families of the greatest worth.
     Robert N. Atkins grew to maturity in his native town and attended the local schools, later attending the Ohio State University with a law course in view.  He was compelled to give this up by the death of his father, and at the request of his mother he went to Chicago in 1892 and 1893 and learned the jewelry business in the Chicago Watch Makers' Institute, thoroughly mastering his chosen vocation.  From there he went to Toledo, Ohio, where he was employed in jewelry work about eight months; he was then employed at Newark, this state, about a year, and three months at Zanesville, then a year at Athens, after which he returned to Cambridge and took a position in the jewelry store owned by his mother, which had been established by his father about 1850.  He remained in the store assisting his mother until about 1908, when he bought the store, which he has continued to conduct in a most satisfactory manner.  It has never been out of the family since it was first started and is one of the best known and one of the most popular jewelry stores in Guernsey county, having a prestige second to none and drawing a trade from a past territory.  Here is always to be found a very large, modern and carefully selected stock of goods.  The highest grade of repair work is also done promptly.
     Mr. Atkins was married in 1895 to Queen Markley, of Newark, Ohio, daughter of George and Ellen (Wilson) Markley, an excellent and influential family, and to this union two children have been born, Marian M. and Robert M.
     Mr. Atkins
is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and he and his wife belong to the Presbyterian church.  He is a popular and highly esteemed young man and has ever sought to bear aloft the untarnished escutcheon of the family name, for the Atkinses have long been among the best known and most highly respected residents of Cambridge, both in business and social life.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2.  - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 599
  CHARLES M. AULT.  Success has been worthily attained by Charles M. Ault, of Fairview, Guernsey County, for his methods have ever been those of the man of the hour and while laboring for his own advancement he has not been unmindful of his obligations to his neighbors and fellow citizens and has done much for the promotion of those movements looking to the general good.
     Mr. Ault was born on Sept. 19, 1864, in Fairview, Ohio, the son of Daniel and Mary (Cranson) Ault; the father was born in Belmont county, near St. Clairsville, and the mother was born in Oxford township.  The Aults are of German extraction and grandfather John Ault came with his family to Ohio in the early pioneer days.  Daniel Ault came to Oxford township, Guernsey county, in 1841, from the home and farm of his parents, to begin life for himself.  He learned the trade of a tanner, then an important industry, and soon engaged in the business for himself, operated a large tannery and was very successful.  In later years he engaged in the mercantile business in Fairview, then a most unimportant commercial point on the National road, and also engaged extensively in the saw-mill and lumber business, in all of which he was successful.  On the completion of the Baltimore & Ohio railroad he was also one of the very foremost promoters of building at Quaker City, building a planing and saw-mill and other enterprises.  He was decidedly a man of great activity and his interests were many and widely diversified and invariably successful.  It was said of him that his enterprises and holdings covered more ground with roof than any other man's in Guernsey county at that time, operating extensively in Oxford and Millwood townships.  Later in life he gave up these activities and devoted most of his time by looking after his farm interests, always maintaining his residence in Fairview.  His home was a large and pretentious brick residence for its time and it yet remains one of the most conspicuous residences of the town.  He was a Democrat in politics and very active in public matters, believing this to be the duty of all good citizens.  He filled various offices and was a justice of the peace for many years.  He was a member of the Evangelical Lutheran church and liberal in the support of Pisgah congregation near Fairview, to which he belonged.  He was three times married, his first two wives being sisters named Bratton.  By his first marriae there were five children, and by the second marriage one child.  From his third marriage to Mary Crauson three children were born, of whom Charles M., the subject of this sketch, is the only one living.  Of the children of the two former marriage there are living, John W., of George W., of Marion, Ohio, and Ella, now Mrs. R. E. Cowgill, of Belmont county, Ohio.
     The son, Charles M. Ault, of this review, was born and spent his entire life in Fairview and obtained his education in the Fairview public schools.  He has been and is yet engaged in farming, his farm being in Oxford township.  He has engaged in the livery business in Fairview for twenty-five years, and for eighteen years in the undertaking business, all of which he still continues.  He has other interests, too, that require considerable attention, and Mr. Ault is a very busy man.  He is always a booster and with his time and his means he is always willing and ready to assist in every worthy effort that has for its object the development of the locality and benefiting the people.  He was one of the moving spirits that conceived a way for getting a railroad to tap the rich, undeveloped coal fields of the locality.  A careful estimate of the field was made and the matter was presented to persons connected with railroad building and extension.  There were many disappointments in this effort, but he persisted and the results were the organization of the Marietta & Lake Railroad Company, with a contemplated road from the river to the lake, with Fairview and the adjacent coal lands on the line.  Four miles of this road is now built, from Lore City to Washington, and the necessary preliminary activity is going on all along the line, and much of this effort and the work already accomplished is due to the perception and foresight of Mr. Ault, fo whom much credit is given.
     Mr. Ault is a Democrat in politics and an active party member, - in fact it is impossible for him to be a drone in any organization with which he is connected.  He is a member of the Democratic county central committee and has served in the capacity of delegate to county, district and state conventions.  He has filled various township offices, including justice of the peace and treasurer, most of the village offices and member of the board of education.  He is a member of the Masons, Barnesville Lodge, and was made a Mason the night he was twenty-one yeas old.  He is also a member of the Modern Woodmen of America.
     Mr. Ault was married Feb. 8, 1887, to Mary L. Stevens, daughter of John and Mary (Coltrap) Stevens, a prominent family of Oxford township.  To this union one daughter was born, Ann G., now Mrs. Thomas R. Reed, who resides with Mr. and Mrs. Ault, and there has been a little grand-daughter born, named Lillian L. Reed.
     Mr. Ault
and family occupy the old Ault home in Fairview and are prominent in the social life of the community.  Mr. Ault has for many yeas been one of hte boosters of the Pennyroyal Reunion, a member of the executive committee and secretary of the organization.  He retains his membership in the Evangelical Lutheran church and was a member of Pisgah congregation until the congregation was dissolved.  Mrs. Ault is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and Sunday school, and is an active worker in both, as is Mr. Ault a liberal supporter.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2.  - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 650
  CHARLES AUSTIN.  Among the prominent and successful physicians of Guernsey county is Dr. Charles R. Austin, who was born in Dresden, Ohio, August 15, 1871, the son of Dr. D. A. and Bethany (Springer) Austin.  The father, who was born in Clinton county, Ohio, in 1822, was a successful practitioner and continued in his profession until about 1894.  He was a Quaker, and gained quite a little attention as an Abolitionist, being a promoter of the famous "underground railway."  He died two years after his retirement from active practice, in the month of April, 1896, being survived by his wife for several years, she having died at Byesville, Guernsey county, on the 24th of July 1906.  She was a woman of beautiful character, and an active worker in the Baptist church, of which she was a member.  There are now five children living: L. L. H., Dr. J. S., Dr. Charles R., David A. and Laura Merriam Austin.
     Charles R. Austin
was reared in the town of his birth, and there received his education, having graduated from the Dresden high school in 1888 in the fall of the same year he took up the business of civil engineering, continuing at this for nearly a year.  This was not his first business venture, however, for while still attending school he had worked at intervals at the printing business.  He had also taught school near Dresden, in Muskingum township.  Not being satisfied with any of these ventures, he decided to follow in his father's footsteps and to that end entered the Medical College of Ohio, at Cincinnati, from which he was graduated in 1894.  the same year that his father retired from the practice.  He began the practice of his profession in Nebraska, where he spent three months at the expiration of which time he returned to Byesville, in October, 1894. and has since been engaged in the practice of his profession from his point.
     In his political allegiance, Doctor Austin is a Republican and has served  the people of Guernsey county in sundry offices.  For seven years he was a member of the board of education at Byesville, being also a clerk of the board all that time.  While a member of this board he did much for the public school system of the county, was active in the reorganization of the schools and was instrumental in, and largely responsible for, their advancement in standing from the third to first grade.  April 8, 1907, he was further honored by being appointed postmaster of Byesville, and was chosen his own successor in December, 1907, being still in that position at this writing (1910).  However, because of the heavy demands made on his time and energy by his large and ever growing practice, he was compelled to turn the management of the office over to an assistant who ably conducts the office for him.  In common with the majority of wide-awake, enterprising men, he is interested in fraternal and benevolent organizations, being a member of Cambridge Lodge No. 448, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and Red Prince Lodge No. 250, Knights of Pythias, at Byesville.  He is also a member of the Guernsey County Medical Society, of which he is ex-president.
     Dr. Austin was happily married in 1901 to Laura Stewart of Cambridge, a daughter of William and Phoebe (McPeek) Stewart.  To this union two children have been born, David W. and Emma Merriam.
    
One of Doctor Austin's  ancestors, his father's grand uncle, David Williams, gained distinction in the Revolutionary war, being one of the three who captured Major Andrew, and the powder horn belonging to this man is now a treasured family heirloom.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2.  - B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 783

 

NOTES:  
 

 

..

 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
GUERNSEY COUNTY, OHIO
RETURN TO
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights