OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
Greene County, Ohio
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
History of Greene County, Ohio,
its people, industries & institutions
by Hon. M. A. Broadstone, Editor in Chief -
Vol. I. & II.
Publ. B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc.,
 Indianapolis, Ind.
1918
 

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
  THOMAS BARLOW WALKER, one of the greatest lumbermen the country has ever produced, was born in Xenia, Ohio, Feb. 1, 1840, a son of Platt B. and Anstic Keziah (Barlow) Walker.  He taught school for time as a young man, later becoming a traveling salesman before he located in Minnesota in 1862 at the age of twenty-two.  He was first engaged in that state on government surveys and later as surveyor for the St. Paul & Duluth Railroad.  During this time he began investigating in timber lands and eventually became the largest lumberman in Minnesota.  He is also heavily interested in California white and sugar pine land.  He was a projector and builder of the St. Louis Park and the electric line to it; built the central city market and the wholesale commission district.  He was the originator and builders of the Minneapolis public library and was president of the library board for thirty years.  He is responsible for the building up of the State Academy of Science and its museum of science and art.  He has a splendid collection of paintings that fills the large art gallery of the public library and also an extensive collection of ancient arts in the museum room of the library.  Attached to his home is the only free art gallery that is to be found in either America or Europe.  His home in Minneapolis is at 807 Hennepin avenue.
(Source:  History of Greene County, Ohio, its people, industries & institutions by Hon. M. A. Broadstone, Editor in Chief - Vol. I.- Publ. 1918 by B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc., Indianapolis, Ind.)


John G. Warner
 
  CHARLES A. WEAVER.    Charles A. Weaver, vice-president of the Xenia Business Men's Association and proprietor of a clothing store at 13 East Main street, is a native son of Ohio and has lived in this state all his life, a resident of Xenia since he was nineteen years of age.  He was born on a farm just over the line in Chester township, in the neighboring county of Clinton, a mile east of the village of New Burlington, in 1879, son of Volcah E. and Arabella (Peterson) Weaver, who retired from the farm in 1900 and moved to Xenia, where they are now living.
     Volcah E. Weaver was born in the village of New Burlington on Oct. 2, 1842, a son of Samuel and Anna (Ellis) Weaver, both members of pioneer families in that vicinity. Samuel Weaver was born in the neighborhood of Winchester, in Virginia, a son of Abraham and Mary Magdaline Weaver, the latter of whom died at her home in Virgina, leaving six sons and three daughters.  Not long after the death of his wife Abraham Weaver came to Ohio, bringing with him his six sons and one of his daughters, and settled in Greene county.  He bought a tract of two hundred acres of land in Caesarscreek township and there established his home.  His death occurred not long afterward and he was buried in the burying ground at Vorah church.  Samuel Weaver, one of the six sons of Abraham Weaver, had been trained as a tailor in Virginia and upon coming to Ohio did not remain on the farm with his father, but located in Cincinnati, where for some time he worked at his trade, later coming up here and locating at Xenia, where he opened a tailor shop, which he presently moved to the village of New Burlington, where he engaged in business and was thus engaged at that place the rest of his life, his death occurring there in 1885.
     Samuel Weaver was born in 1809.  Not long after coming to Greene county he married Anna Ellis, who was born on a farm one mile east of New Burlington, in Spring Valley township, this county, in 1814, daughter of Joel and Elizabeth (Schillinger) Ellis, both of whom were born in South Carolina, where they were married, later locating in Kentucky, whence, in 1812, they came up into this part of Ohio and settled in Spring Valley township, this county.  Joel Ellis was of Scottish descent and was the son of Abraham Ellis, a soldier of the Revolution, who came into Ohio from Virginia at an early day in the settlement of this part of the state and bought a farm in the Port William neighborhood in Clinton county, where he spent his last days, his body now lying in the Lumberton cemetery.  Abraham Ellis was the father of four sons and three daughters and the descendants of these children not many years ago, Volcah E. Weaver being one of the chief promoters of the project, erected at the grave of their Revolutionary ancestor in the Lumberton cemetery a monument fittingly setting out his record as a soldier during the time of the War of Independence.  Joel Ellis bought a tract of two hundred and six acres of land in Spring Valley township upon coming to this county in 1812.  He and his wife were members of the Baptist church and were the parents of three children, one son and two daughters, namely: Adam S. Ellis, who spent his last days on the home farm, having come into possession of the same, increasing the acreage to three hundred and fifty-two acres, and on which he died unmarried, his place being left by will to his nephew, Volcah E. Weaver; Anna, who married Samuel Weaver, the New Burlington tailor, and Mary (Polly), who married Doctor Bald, of New Burlington, and died one year later.  To Samuel and Anna (Ellis) Weaver were born four children, namely: Manuel, who died at the age of three years; Amanda, who is now living at Centerville, this state, widow of Joseph Nutt; Volcah E., father of the subject of this biographical sketch, and Mary Jane, wife of John Oglesbee, of Xenia.  The mother of these children survived her husband five years, her death occurring in 1800.
     Reared at New Burlington, the place of his birth, Volcah E. Weaver received his schooling in the schools of that village and as a young man began farming on his grandfather Ellis's place just east of the village and in time became the owner of a farm of his own, a tract of one hundred and forty-three acres on the line between Greene and Clinton counties.  Upon the death of his uncle, Adam S. Ellis, he inherited the old Ellis place of three hundred and fifty-two acres and there continued to make his home until his retirement from the farm and removal to Xenia, where he and his wife are still living.  Upon moving to Xenia Mr. Weaver bought a house at 513 South Detroit street, remodeled the same and is there now living.  He and his wife are members of the Reformed church.  It was in 1877, in Clinton county, that Volcah E. Weaver was united in marriage to Arabella Peterson, who was born in that county, daughter of Abraham Peterson and wife, both now deceased, and to this union were born three children, Charles A., Laura E., and Anna Elizabeth, all of whom are living.  Laura E. Weaver married Norman G. Buxton, who is now president of a bank at Johnstown, in Licking county, this state, and who also operates a farm of three hundred and ninety acres in the immediate vicinity of that place.  Miss Anna Weaver, who was graduated from the Xenia high school and later took a three-year course at the Mary Baldwin Seminary in Virginia, is living with her parents in Xenia.
     Charles A. Weaver received his schooling in the schools of New Burlington and in the business college at Xenia and when nineteen years of age became employed in the clothing store of R. S. Kingsbury at Xenia.  Two years later, in 1904, he and C. E. Nesbit, the latter of whom also was working in the Kingsbury store, decided to engage in business for themselves and at 13 East Market street opened a clothing store, doing business under the firm name of Nesbit & Weaver, an arrangement which continued for about ten years, or until the death of Mr. Nesbit on Feb. 20, 1914.  After the death of his partner Mr. Weaver bought the latter's interest in the store and has since been conducting the business alone.  In 1915 he remodeled the store, putting in an entirely new set of fixtures and furnishings.  For the past two years Mr. Weaver has been serving as the vice-president of the Xenia Business Men's Association, with which useful organization he has long been actively connected.  He is a Royal Arch and Scottish Rite (32) Mason, affiliated with the blue lodge, the chapter and the council. Royal and Select Masters, at Xenia, and with the consistory at Dayton, and is also a noble of the Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, affiliated with Antioch Temple at Dayton.  He also is a member of the local lodge of the Benevolent
and Protective Order of Elks.
     On Jan. 12, 1913, Charles Weaver was united in marriage to Verna Baker, who was born at Fremont, in Sandusky county, this state, daughter of William L. and Anna Baker, both of whom are still living and the former of whom is engaged in the grain business at Fremont, Ohio, and to this union one child has been born, a son Charles Ellis, born on Dec. 17, 1914.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio, Vol. II - publ. by  B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc., Indianapolis, Ind.,
1918 - Page 850


Mr. & Mrs.
Horace Weeks
 
  BENJAMIN WHITEMAN was a native of Philadelphia, born on March 12, 1769.  When he was only a boy, he removed with his parents to Kentucky where he received some very valuable frontiersman experience.  He was a member of General Harmar's expedition against the Shawnees and this trip up here undoubtedly influenced him to before a resident of this region later.  He was married to Catherine Davis, a daughter of Owen Davis, in 1793.  In the spring of 1799 he with his father-in-law came northward from Cincinnati and settled on Beaver creek.  After Greene county was organized, the General Assembly in the same year appointed Whiteman one of the three associate judges along with William Maxwell and James Barrett.  He remained a resident of Beavercreek township until 1805 when he, with his father-in-law, Owen Davis, removed to the vicinity of Clifton after disposing of their possessions on Beaver Creek.  There Whitman built a large house which is standing to this day.  His death occurred on July 1, 1852.
(Source:  History of Greene County, Ohio, its people, industries & institutions by Hon. M. A. Broadstone, Editor in Chief - Vol. I.- Publ. 1918 by B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc., Indianapolis, Ind.)
  GUY M. WILLIAMS.    Guy M. Williams, grocer at Osborn, was born in the neighboring county of Clark on Sept. 11, 1883, a son of Frank and Maria (Musser) Williams, both of whom are still living, residents of Clark county.  Frank Williams also was born in Clark county and there grew to manhood.  He has been a farmer all his life and for some time lived in the neighboring county of Montgomery, but is now living in Clark county.  To him and his wife nine children were born, six of whom are still living, but the subject of this sketch is the only one of these who is a resident of Greene county.
     Reared on the farm, Guy M. Williams received most of his schooling in Montgomery county and after leaving school became a clerk in the Stephen Store at Osborn, where he remained for five years, at the end of which time he went to Springfield and was there engaged working in a wholesale grocery store until 1912, in which year he returned to Osborn and bought the Buhrman store, the same store under a different management in which he had formerly been a clerk, and has ever since been engaged in business in that village.
     In December, 1914, Guy M. Williams was united in marriage to Marie Hunter, daughter of Emily Hunter.  Politically, Mr. Williams is a Republican and, fraternally, is affiliated with the local lodge of the Junior Order of United American Mechanics.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio, Vol. II - publ. by  B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc., Indianapolis, Ind.,
1918 - Page 744
  REV. JOHN P. WILLIAMS.    The Rev. John P. Williams, a retired minister of the Methodist Episcopal church, now living at Yellow Springs, is a native of England, born in the city of London, on Oct. 8, 1851, son of Christopher Robert and Mary M. (Nimann) William, both of whom also were of English birth.  He received his early schooling in a private school at Greenwich, in the vicinity of London.  When sixteen years of age he became attracted by the possibilities then awaiting the gold miners in faraway New Zealand and he took a trip there, bent on making his fortune in the mines.  For five years, or until he was twenty-one years of age, Mr. Williams continued mining in New in New Zealand, with more or less success.  Mr. Williams had some family connections over in Australia and after having acquired all the experience in gold mining that he cared for he spent a year in Australia visiting these kinsfolks.  He then sailed for Cape Town, Africa, and for a year or more visited there, at the same time investigating South Africa far up into the interior.  He then returned to his old home in England and after a year there went to France, from which country he presently came to the United States, arriving at the port of New York when about twenty-three years of age.  From there he went to Chicago and not long afterward in that city became interested in contract work and for some time was thus engaged there, employing a considerable force of men.  In the meantime Mr. Williams had been seriously turning his thoughts in the direction of the gospel ministry and after a whole began preaching.  Though reared in the established church of England, his personal interest was manifested in the ministry of the Methodist Episcopal church and when about twenty-six years of age he was licensed to preach by the Chicago conference of that church and for twenty years thereafter was actively engaged in the ministry of that church, his various appointments eventually bringing him to Ohio, his last definite official charge having been at Middletown, this state.  He retired from the ministry while stationed there, about 1889, and then moved to Xenia, from which city shortly afterward he moved to Yellow Spring, attracted to the natural beauty of the place and its desirability as a place of residence, and ever since resided there.  Through retired from the active ministry, Mr. Williams has continued active in platform work and is widely known as a lecturer, his illustrated lectures, particularly, having one for him a very gratifying reputation as a platform entertainer.
     At Guilford, in Dearborn county, Indiana, the Rev. John P. Williams was united in marriage to Anna R. Hansell, daughter of Robert and Catherine (Roberts) Hansell, of that place, the former of whom was born in England and the latter in the state of Maine, and who were the parents of six children, those besides Mrs. Williams having been Theodore, Grant (deceased), Mary, Harriet and Abbie.  Mrs. Williamson died on June 23, 1915, and is buried at beautiful Glen Forest cemetery at Yellow Springs.  Mr. Williams has three daughters, Florence M., who has charge of the music department of Antioch College; Bessie Victoria, who married Prof. F. H. Young, of Cedarville, now a teacher in the Zanesville high school, and has three children, Paul R., Faith and Donald and Marguerite Mae, who is a teacher of music in Antioch College and otherwise busied in the activities of that institution.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio, Vol. II - publ. by  B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc., Indianapolis, Ind.,
1918 - Page 920


Nixon Brown
OTIS T. WOLFORD
 

 

Source: History of Greene County, Ohio, Vol. II - publ. by  B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc., Indianapolis, Ind., 1918 - Page 832

NOTES:


 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
GREENE COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights