OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
Greene County, Ohio
History & Genealogy


BIOGRAPHIES
Transcribed by Sharon Wick

Source:
HISTORY of GREENE COUNTY, OHIO
Embracing the
Organization of the County, Its Division into Townships,
Sketches of Local Interest Gleaned from the Pioneers from
1803 to 1840, together with a
Roster of the Soldiers of the Revolution and the War of 1812,
who were Residing in the County.
Also,
A Roster of Ten Thousand of the Early Settlers from 1803 to 1840.
By George F. Robinson.
- ILLUSTRATED -
Published:
Chicago
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company.
1902.
 

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to 1902 TABLE OF CONTENTS >
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO LIST OF BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >
 
` EDWARD M. SMITH.   Edward M. Smith is one of the most popular and widely known citizens of Xenia.  For many years he stood as a defender of the rights and liberties of his fellow townsmen, both as a member of the police fore as as chief of police.  Energetic prompt and notably reliable in the discharge of his duty, he proved a most capable officer, winning the commendation of all law abiding citizens.
     He is one of Xenia's native sons, his birth having occurred on the 3d of June, 1859, his parents being Adam L. and Sarah (Gano) Smith.  The father was a native of Edinburgh, Scotland, and after acquiring his education there learned the painter's trade.  When he had reached the age of nineteen he determined to try his fortune in America, and crossing the Atlantic took up his abode in Clifton, Ohio, where he followed his chosen occupation for a number of years, after which he removed to Xenia, where he resided until his death, which occurred in 1890.  His wife passed away in 1901.  They were the parents of nine children.
     Under the parental roof the subject of this review spent the days of his boyhood and youth, and in the common and high schools pursued his education.  He learned the molder's trade, which he followed for several years, and then became a member of the police force of the city, acting in that capacity for fourteen years, when his faithfulness and ability won him promotion to the rank of chief of police.  At that time he was presented with a handsome gold star, about the size of a silver dollar and artistically engraved with the letters "E. M. S." and "Presented by the citizens of Xenia, May 20, 1898."  In the center of the star is a large beautiful diamond, pure white, and weighing more than a caret.  This was given to him in recognition of his faithful service as an officer and was also a tribute to his personal worth and popularity from friends who had known him long and intimately and respected him for his sterling worth and rejoiced in his advancement.
     Mr. Smith was united in marriage to Miss Mary Crumbaugh, a daughter of Samuel Crumbaugh, and unto them have been born the following children: Ferol Erma, Leon, Bernice, Mary and RuthMr. Smith is a member of the Baptist church, his wife of the Methodist Episcopal church, and his children all belong to the Presbyterian church.  In his political views Mr. Smith is a stalwart Republican and takes a deep interest in the growth and success of his party.  He belongs to Xenia Lodge, No. 49, F. & A. M.; Xenia Chapter, No. 36, R. A. M.; the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and is regarded as a valued representative of these organizations.  His loyalty in citizenship, his fidelity to public duty, his reliability and his sterling worth make him one of the esteemed and valued citizens of Xenia.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio by George F. Robinson, Publ. 1902 - Page 741-742
  GEORGE C. SMITH.    One of the well known farmers of Beavercreek township is George C. Smith, who was born at the place of his present residence Sept. 11, 1864, his parents being Benjamin G. and Sarah A. (Yingling) Smith.  His paternal grandfather, Benjamin Smith, was the first of the family to locate in Ohio, bringing his wife and children to Cincinnati, where he lived and died.  It was in that city that Benjamin G. Smith, the father of our subject, acquired an education.  Upon coming to Greene county he settled upon a farm upon the banks of the Indian Riffle, in the southern part of Beavercreek township, and there devoted his energies to agricultural pursuits for many years.  Indolence and idleness were utterly foreign to his nature and his labor brought to him prosperity as the years passed by.  At the time of his death he owned about two hundred and twenty acres of valuable land, and also city property in Dayton, Ohio.  He was a self-made man for he started out upon his business career without a dollar.  He realized the value of industry and persistence in the active affairs of life and along the lines of legitimate labor he won his success.  He had three children, the eldest being George Crawford Smith of this review.  The second son, Benjamin Grant, wedded Mary, Munger, and is now employed in the mail service, his home being in Dayton. Ohio.  John William, the youngest son, married Flora B. Greenwood. and they, too, reside at Dayton.  After the death of her first husband the mother married again and is now the widow of Oliver Moler. and resides in Dayton.  Mr. Smith, the father of our subject,
was a Republican in his political views and was a very active and influential member of the Presbyterian church at Bellbrook.  He served both as a deacon and elder in the church and put forth every effort in his power to advance the cause of Christianity in his community.  He passed away upon the home farm June 5, 1887. and was laid to rest in Mount Zion Park cemetery.  Thus a most useful and honorable life was ended but his memory is still enshrined in the hearts of his family and of his many friends.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio by George F. Robinson, Publ. 1902 - Page 889
  HORACE L. SMITH, B. A., LL. B.    Horace L. Smith, well known in connection with the Greene county bar, was born in Loganville, Logan county, Ohio, on the 28th of August, 1853.  His father, Clinton Smith, was of English ancestry and was born in Dublin, Franklin county, Ohio.  Preparing for the practice of medicine, he devoted his entire life to the noble work of alleviating human suffering.  He wedded Mary Davidson, who was of Irish ancestry and was born in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.  In 1855 the parents removed with their family to Bloomingburg, Fayette county, Ohio.  In their family were three children: Dr. Homer Smith of Westerville, Ohio; Dr. Eva Smith, of Middletown, Ohio; and Horace L., of this review.  The father passed away Nov. 9,1879, but the mother is still living.
     Horace Lee Smith began his education in the common schools and later attended the Bloomingburg Academy.  He next matriculated in the Wooster University of Wooster, Ohio, where he was graduated in June, 1872, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts.   With a good literary education to serve as a foundation upon which to rear the superstructure of professional learning, he took up the study of law in the University of Michigan, and was graduated in March, 1875, with the degree of LL. B.  In April of that year he was admitted to practice by the supreme court of Ohio and established an office in Xenia, where he was not long in securing a large and growing clientage.  He remained a practitioner at the bar until February, 1889.  In November of the preceding year he had been elected judge of the court of common pleas of the third subdivision of the second judicial district of Ohio and in the succeeding February, took his place upon the bench to serve for a term of five years.  The public confidence in his ability was manifest by re-election in his ability was manifest by re-election in November, 1803, and he remained upon the bench until the 9th of February, 1899, when after ten years service, he resumed the private practice of law in Xenia.
     The Judge was married in April, 1875, to Miss Mary A. Jones, of Bloomingburg, Fayette county.  She died in 1885, leaving two sons who are yet living, while two children, a son and a daughter, died in infancy.  In January, 1887, the Judge was again married, his second union being with Mrs. May Loughry, a daughter of John Orr, who for eighteen years was clerk of the court of common pleas.  The Judge belongs to the Masonic fraternity and to the Knights of Pythias Lodge, and in his political views is a Republican.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio by George F. Robinson, Publ. 1902 - Page 761
  JOHN R. SMITH.    A farm of one hundred and fifty acres situated in Sugarcreek township is the property of John Riley Smith, a well known agriculturist of Greene county, who throughout his entire life has engaged in the tilling of the soil in this portion of the state.  His birth occurred about four miles from Xenia on his father's farm on the Columbus pike at what is called East Point, in a stone house which is still occupied as a residence.  His natal day was Nov. 18, 1839, and he
is a son of John G. and Sophronia (McFarland) Smith.  The father was born in Hagerstown, Maryland, and when only two years old was brought by his parents to Ohio, the family making the journey on horseback and bringing with them their farming utensils.  Mr. Smith was born on Christmas day in 1810 and the year 1812 witnessed their emigration westward.  The family settled at Cedarville but at a later date returned to Maryland.  When two years had passed, however, they came once more to Ohio.  The grandfather, Jonathan Smith, owned a small farm of ten acres on which he made his home until his death, which occurred about 1845 when our subject was six years of age.  His wife, Mrs. Barbara Smith, lived to a very advanced age.  John G. Smith, the father of our subject, spent the greater part of his youth in this county amid its frontier surroundings and scenes and assisted in the arduous task of developing a new farm, after arriving at years of maturity be married Sophronia McFarland, who was born in this county, her parents being Arthur and Martha (Claypool) McFarland.  The young couple then began their domestic life upon a farm which Mr. Smith rented.  They became the parents of nine children, of whom our subject was the third in order of birth.  Four of the number are still living, the others being Jonathan M., George McHenry and Howard Scott, all residents of Madison county, Ohio.  The father departed this life when about seventy years of age.
     Only very limited educational privileges did John R. Smith receive on account of ill health.  He remained at home until about twenty-two years of age and then began to earn his own livelihood.  For two years he rented land and in 1880 he purchased his present farm, comprising about one hundred and fifty acres.  This he has improved with modern equipments and accessories and its neat and thrifty appearance indicates to the passerby the enterprise and progressiveness of the owner.
     On the 1st of February, 1877, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Smith and Miss Henrietta Maria Bonner, who was born in Xenia township, Greene county, Mar. 1, 1840, a daughter of Stith and Maria (Mercer) Bonner.  Her father was born in Dinwiddie county, Virginia, in 1791, and the mother in Hamilton county, in 1800.  Both had come to Greene county in childhood and were here married.  The paternal grandfather, Fredrick Bonner arrived here in 1803 before the admission of the state into the Union.  He purchased a large tract of land just south of Xenia where the Orphans' Home now stands.  One of his grandsons, William F. Pelham, donated twenty-five acres of this land to the Soldiers' Home.  The maternal grandfather of Mrs. Smith was Edward Mercer, who built the first brick house ever erected in Greene county.  It stood on the farm owned by Robert MendenhallMrs. Smith began her education in a log school-house and later spent a year an a half as a student in the Xenia Seminary.  By her marriage she has become the mother of one son, Jesse Clyde who was born on the home farm, Mar. 9, 1880.  Both Mr. and Mrs. Smith are members of the Methodist Episcopal congregation at Gladys Chapel, and since casting his first presidential vote for Lincoln in 1864 Mr. Smith has been a Republican.  Since 1866 he has been identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Xenia, and his life exemplified the beneicent spirit of that fraternity which is based upon mutual helpfulness.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio by George F. Robinson, Publ. 1902 - Page 469
  JOSEPH R. SMITH.   Joseph R. Smith, who is engaged in farming on Bull Skin pike in Spring Valley township, was born in this township on the 4th of February, 1850, his parents being James and Elizabeth (Caine) Smith.  The father was a blacksmith.  During his early boyhood Joseph R. Smith resided with his parents in the village of New Burlington, but when he was about fourteen years of age Poague farm near Roxanna, where he leased land for fifteen years.
     Mr. Smith, of this review, remained under the parental roof until about twenty-two year of age.  In his youth he acquired a good common-school education and was early trained to habits of industry, economy and integrity, which have proven valuable factors in his success in later life.  As a companion and helpmate for life's journey he chose Miss Elizabeth Huffman, of Mt. Holly, Warren county, Ohio, where she was born, her parents being Edward and Almira (Loy) Huffman.  The marriage was celebrated on the 4th of January, 1872, and then Mr. Smith rented a farm and began agricultural pursuits on his own account.  Seven years ago he came to the place upon which he is now living.  The farm belongs to his brother, J. W. Smith, who is employed as a bookkeeper in a dry-goods store of Indianapolis, Indiana.  Our subject devotes his attention to the cultivation of the crops best adapted to the soil and climate, and his efforts have brought to him a good income.
     Unto Mr and Mrs. Smith have been born two children:  Mellie, the wife of Bert Boston by whom she has three children - Fred, Harry and Lucille; and Clara, who is employed as a typewriter and bookkeeper in Xenia.  The parents hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal church of New Burlington, and Mr. Smith has exercised his right of franchise in support of the men had measures of the Republican party since casting his first presidential vote for U S. Grant in 1872.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio by George F. Robinson, Publ. 1902 - Page 673
  LEWIS SMITH.    The board of county commissioners in Greene county has been composed of a number of the leading citizens, men who have been unselfishly devoted to the welfare and progress of the community and who enjoyed the esteem and confidence of the best citizens of this portion of the state.  Among the number who have capably served on the board was Lewis Smith.  He came of an old Virginia family, his paternal grandparents being Jacob and Nancy Smith, both of whom were natives of the Old Dominion, but at an early date they emigrated westward and in Greene county established their home, casting in their lot among the pioneer settlers.  It was upon the old home farm here that James Smith, the father of our subject, was born Aug. 4, 1810.  He was reared in the usual manner of lads of that period.  The country was wild, the forest uncut, the streams unbridged and very little of the land was cleared.  He assisted his father in the development and cultivation of the home farm until he decided to make some other pursuit his life work and learned the blacksmith's trade, which he followed for many years.  He married Elizabeth Cane, who was born Jan. 8, 1816, a daughter of Robert and Sarah CaneMr. Smith died on the 28th of' February, 1876, and his wife, surviving him for many years, passed away on the 20th of April. 1895.
     Lewis Smith, whose name introduces this review, was born in New Burlington, Greene county, Ohio, May 5, 1837, and spent the days of his boyhood and youth there, obtaining his education in the public schools.  Like his father he learned the blacksmith's trade and continued to work in the smithy until 1897, receiving a good patronage on account of his excellent workmanship and his honorable business methods.  In the year mentioned he was elected county commissioner and served continuously in that office up to the lime of his death, which occurred May 7, 1902.  He was a member of the board that contracted for and built the new courthouse in Xenia at a cost of more than two hundred thousand dollars.  He was complimented and commended for the active interest which he took in the welfare of the citizens of Greene county and his worth was widely recognized.
     On Christmas day of 1860 was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Smith and Miss Rachael Elizabeth Craft, a daughter of Allen Craft, who was a farmer but is now deceased.  Unto our subject and his wife were born ten children, of whom nine are yet living, namely: Rena Bell, Minnie E., Hattie M., Wesley Allen, William Francis, Wayne Craft, Walter Le Roy, Harley Hays and Leslie Leonard.  Socially Mr. Smith was connected with the Masonic fraternity and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the family is identified with the Methodist Episcopal church of New Burlington.  In his political views Mr. Smith was a stanch Republican, never swerving in his allegiance to the party whose principles he believed contain the best elements of good government.  His life was quietly passed in the faithful performance of each day's duties, and while there were no exciting chapters in his history it yet contains many lessons that are worthy of emulation.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio by George F. Robinson, Publ. 1902 - Page 503
  DANIEL M. STEWART.  Among the prominent residents of Xenia is numbered D. M. Stewart, who owes his success not to any fortunate circumstances which surrounded him in youth but to the qualities of enterprise, determination and landable ambition.  He is to-day filling the position of vice president of the Xenia National Bank, to which office he was elected in January, 1902.  Mr. Stewart was born on the 17ty of March, 1840, upon his father's farm in Greene county.  He is one of the two surviving children born unto William H. and Esther (McMillen) Stewart, both of whom were natives of South Carolina.  The father, who was born in February, 1811, became a resident of this county in 1820, being brought to Ohio by his parents, who settled two miles from Xenia.  In the schools of the neighborhood he acquired his education and afterward followed farming for a livelihood.  The later years of his life, however, were spent in retirement form active labor.  He passed away in 1878 and his wife was called to her final rest on the 15th of June, 1856.
     Upon the old home farm in Greene county, Daniel M. Stewart was reared, and the district schools afforded him his educational privileges.  He had almost attained his majority when he entered the service of his country as a defender of the Union in the Civil war, becoming a member of Company F, One Hundred and Fifty-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  Immediately after his discharge he returned to Xenia and again engaged in farming, his attention being devoted to the tilling of the soil until 1876, when he took up his abode in this city, where he was engaged in the real estate and life insurance until 1878, when he became  a representative of the real estate interests of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad Company Land Grant.  He was associated with W. R. Linn, with main office at Springfield, Ohio, they being general agents of the company and had charge of agencies east of the Mississippi river.  Our subject had supervision of the outside work, which necessitated a large among of travel.  He continued with the company until the sales were made and business closed.  Mr. Stewart invested in lands and developed mines in the Joplin district in southwestern Missouri, where for sixteen years he successfully followed mining, his methods being such as to make his labors of profit.  He has disposed of his mining interests, but has two fine farms in this county, which are in a high degree of cultivation.  For five years he has been a director in the Xenia National Bank and in January, 1902, was elected vice president, in which position he is now serving.
     In 1877 Mr. Stewart was united in marriage to Miss Hattie Bonner, a daughter of Rev. James Bonner of Shelby county, Ohio, who was a minister of the United Presbyterian church.  Unto our subject and his wife has been born a daughter, Belle, who has recently graduated from the seminary at Washington, Pennsylvania, and is at home.  Mr. Stewart is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and in his political affiliations is a pronounced Republican.  For twelve consecutive years he represented his ward in the city council of Xenia, exercising his official prerogatives in support of all measures and movements which he believed to be of general good.  His efforts in behalf of the city have been valuable and far-reaching and his co-operation is never sought in vain for the advancement of any movements which he believes will contribute to the general welfare.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio by George F. Robinson, Publ. 1902 - Page 646
  JAMES M. STEWART.   The history of a state, as well as that of a nation, is chiefly the chronicles of the lives and deeds of those who have conferred honor and dignity upon society.  The world judges the character of a community by those of its representative citizens and yields its tributes of admiration and respect for the genius, learning or virtues of those whose works and actions constitute the record of a state's prosperity and pride; and it is this record that offers for our consideration the history of men, who in their characters for probity and benevolence, and the kindly virtues, as wel as for integrity in the affairs of life, are ever affording to the young worthy examples for their regard and emulation.  Therefore it is proper that a just celebrity should be given to those men who are distinguished in their day and generation, that the living may enjoy the approbation of their contemporaries, as well as that of a grateful posterity.
     Judge Stewart is to-day one of the most honored and respected citizens of Xenia, where he is living a retired life.  He is one of a family of ten children born unto John T. and Anna (Elder) Stewart.  His father belonged to an old Pennsylvanian family, which through almost a century has been represented in this part of Ohio, for in 1805 members of the family established a home in what was then Greene county.  There the father of our subject followed farming for many years, making his home three miles east of Clifton on the Miami river, where he died in 1850.  His wife long survived him and passed away in 1882.  The Judge was born in Greene (now Clark) county on the 30th of March, 1828, and spent his boyhood days on his father's farm, attending the common schools of the neighborhood.  In the year 1857 he removed to Yellow Springs, Green county, where he established a general mercantile store.  He was quite successful in his undertakings and followed that pursuit for ten years.  In 1867 he began farming and was thus engaged until 1884, when he was appointed deputy probate judge of Greene county and removed to Xenia in order to enter upon the duties of the office.  He served as deputy for two terms of three years each, after which he was elected as probate judge in 1890 and took the oath of office in February, 1891.  So acceptably did he fill the office that he was re-elected in 1893, holding the position until 1807, and no more capable incumbent has ever filled that position.  His decisions were strictly fair and impartial and in the discharge of his multitudinous delicate duties he showed that he was a man of well rounded character, finely balance mind and of splendid intellectual attainments.  Since his retirement from office he has led a quiet life, being identified with no business pursuit save the management of his property interests.  He is, however, a director in the Citizens' National Bank, of Xenia.
     Judge Stewart was united in marriage to Miss Rebecca J. Jacoby, a daughter of Henry Jacoby, one of the leading and influential citizens of Greene county.  The wedding was celebrated Oct. 16, 1854, and unto them were born four daughters, of whom two are living:  Ida M., the wife of S. B. LeSourd, a wide-awake business man of Xenia; and Leila, now the wife of William D. Cooley of Xenia.  The Judge and his wife have a very pleasant home at No. 224 East Second street.  They are devoted and zealous members of the Presbyterian church, of which he is the ruling elder.  He is identified with the Masonic fraternity.  He also gives his political support to the Republican party and is a man of distinctive ability and his character is one which is above a shadow of reproach.  He has been faithful to the high offices in which he has been called to serve, and is widely known and respected by all who have been at all familiar with his honorable and useful career.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio by George F. Robinson, Publ. 1902 - Page 634-635

NOTES:
 

 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
GREENE COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights