OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
Greene County, Ohio
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES:

Source:
HISTORY OF GREENE COUNTY

together with
Historic Notes on the Northwest
and
The State of Ohio.
Gleaned From Early Authors, Old Maps and Manuscripts,
Private and Official Correspondence and
all other Authentic Sources, Ohio - Publ. 1881
By R. S. Dills
Illustrated.
Dayton, Ohio
ODell & Mayer, Publishers.
1881
 
AB CD EF GH IJ KL MN OP QR ST UV WX YZ

  Jefferson Twp. -
JACOB GERARD, farmer, Bowersville, is a son of John and Jane Gerard, and a native of the township where he now lives, and where he was reared and married Miss Sarah A., daughter of James and Hannah Wilkinson.  Was born Dec. 30, 1847, and married June 12, 1865.  He lives on a farm owned by his father; is a good farmer, and well respected citizen.  Mr. Gerard's father is a resident of Silver Creek Township, formerly of this township; had a farm of ninety acres here, sold it, and removed to Silver Creek.  Was elected and served as justice of the peace when is this township, and a good and respected citizen.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 837
  Beaver Creek Twp. -
DAVID GARLOUGH, farmer, son of Adam and Catherine (Hanes) Garlough, was born in the northwest quarters of this township, Apr. 2, 1808.  His father was born in Washington County, Maryland, in 1786; his mother in the same county and state a few years later.  Their early life was passed in the place of their nativity, where they received their education, his father being a good general scholar, and afterwards became proficient in the English language.  Grandfather Adam Garlough, came with his family to Ohio, in the fall of 1807, locating on land in this township.  Their goods were sent down the Ohio River to Cincinnati, the family coming over land by teams.  The trip occupied about eight weeks.  Mr. Garlough, sen., and a Mr. Hanes, were here some years previous, and purchased land.  Mr. Hanes never returned, but his family came, and occupied the land.  Grandfather Garlough purchased three quarters of a section of land, one-quarter for each of his children.  Erecting a cabin, into which he moved his family, he began the work of clearing.  His wife died soon after coming here, after which he married the mother of Samuel Puterbaugh.  He died between 1820 and 1825, aged upwards of seventy years.  Adam, the father of our subject, was married to Catherine Hanes, in this county, in the winter of 1807 and 1808.  She, with her brother and his family, came in 1807, their trip being made on horse-back.  They located on land now owned by their son, Arthur, in the northwest part of the township, where they made a permanent home for many years.  He was a member of the German Reformed Church, while his wife was a Lutheran.  They lived together as man and wife forty years before being separated by death.  She was born April 22, 1788, and died Apr. 19, 1852.  Several years after her death, he went to Minnesota to visit a son, and while on his return, was taken sick in Warren County, Illinois, at the residence of another son, where he died in 1856, aged about seventy years.  They were the parents of eleven children, of whom ten are living:  David, Jacob, Otho, Adam, Arthur, Jonathan, Henry, Francis, and Jane.  One died in infancy.  At the age of eleven years, our subject held the plow, from which time he made a full hand in all departments of the field.  He remained with his father, until past twenty-three years of age.  His sons were all raised to sobriety, and industry, and through their combined efforts at their father's death, he owned 1,100 acres of land, principally all in Beaver Creek Township.  Oct. 4, 1832, he was married to Rebecca, daughte_ of Henry and Mary C. Weaver, who were among the pioneers; after marriage, he located where he now resides.  Here they have since lived, and reared a family of four children, Mary C., (now Mrs.  Wm. Needles); Hattie, (now Mrs. S. K. Rahn); Alexander H., and Jennie.  Two children, Martha and an infant, are dead.  He and his good wife have lived together nearly half a century, and have seen many of the changed take place that have transformed this county form a wilderness, to a garden of peace and plenty.  They are members of the German Reformed Church of nearly fifty years standing.  He has served as trustee of the township, besides other offices of a local nature.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 598
  Beaver Creek Twp. -
JACOB GARLAUGH, retired farmer, Harshmanville, was born in section eleven, Beaver Creek Township, in 1810, and is a son of Adam Garlaugh, whose life history appears in this work.  He was reared on the farm, where he remained working for his father until he attained his majority, and received his meager education in the subscription schools.  In 1840 he was married to Anna E. Miller, by whom he had thirteen children, nine of whom are living: Lydia A., Edward O.; Zachariah T., Mary J. and Martha E., twins; Hanes, Harriet V., Jacob L., and Sallie B. the deceased are Oliver, William A., and Alice.  After his marriage he located in Montgomery County, this state, where he lived six years, and followed farming.  At the end of this time he moved to Bath Township, this county, on land where he has since resided.  Mr. Garlaugh has been very successful in life, having accumulated one thousand five hundred acres of land, besides a large chattel property.  Mrs. Garlaugh is a member of the United Presbyterian Church, with which she has been connected from many years.  Their son, William A., was a member of Company C, One Hundred and Fifty-Fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, enlisting in May, 1864.  He was in some of the closing battles of the war, and at New Creek Station, West Virginia, August, 1864, was captured, and afterwards incarcerated in Saulsbury Prison, North Carolina.  After enduring the horrors of the prison-pen until February, 1865, he died the most terrible of all deaths - starvation - aged about twenty-four years.  Edward O. was married Jan. 11, 1870, to Martha E., daughter of John C. Harshman, whose sketch appears in this work.  To them five children have been born: Edward A., Oscar H., and Lulla, living; and William S., and Anna F., deceased.  Edward O. was born in 1846; his wife in 1851.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 599
  Jefferson Twp. -
SIMON L. GERARD, grain and stock-dealer, Bowersville, was born Aug. 5, 1832, and is a son of John and Jane Gerard, who are residents of this county, where he was reared, educated and married to Sarah  E. Ireland.  Three children are the result of this marriage, James, Laura, and Liddie, all living.  James was married, May 7, 1878, to Maggie Stanford, and is now living with his parents.  Mrs. Gerard, James and wife are members of the Christian Church.  Mr. Gerard was elected assessor of this township about 1868, and served five successive terms; was elected township trustee in 1876, to which office he has since been re-elected annually.  He has a farm of one hundred and fifty acres, well improved, and two lots in Bowersville, on which he has a good house, where he resides.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 837
  Beaver Creek Twp. -
JOHN GINN, farmer, was born on the place on which he no resides, Feb. 24, 1815, and is a son of Thomas and Rachel (Neal) Ginn.  His father was born in Ireland; his mother in Kentucky.  When a young man, his father emigrated to America, and located in Kentucky, where he was married to Rachel Neal, Several years after - in 1814 - he came to this county, and located where our subject now lives, purchasing one hundred acres of wild military land.  He was successful in life, and accumulated enough to enable him to live comfortably and pay for his land, which cost him $250, and is now worth $10,000.  a year previous to his death he removed to Xenia, where he died at the age of eighty-four years.  Mrs. Ginn died in 1830, in the prime of her womanhood.  They were the parents of fourteen children, of whom three are living: Robert, John, and Ann.  Our subject was raised on the  farm, and in 1838 married Jane Hamilton whom has borne him four children, two of whom are living: Rachel, and James H.  The deceased are William and Thomas W..  After his marriage he worked for some years at different places, and finally purchased the old homestead.  He owns one hundred and fourteen acres of land.  Mr. and Mrs. Ginn are members of the United Presbyterian Church, with which they have been connected for many years.  His parents were members of the old Seceder Church.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 600
  Spring Valley Twp. -
SAMUEL G. GOODE, farmer and stock raiser, Xenia, Ohio, was born in Clinton County, July 1, 1830, of Dr. Henry J. and Margaret (McKee) Goode.  The doctor was born in Virginia, in April, 1793, and the ancestry is traced back, step by step, until their blood is found flowing in the veins of those who hazzarded their lives in the settlement of Jamestown.  They came originally from Germany to England, and then to the New World.  From all time the Goodes have been noted for their great moral worth, and their word, once given, was as good as their bond.  Dr. Goode came to Warren  County with his brothers Phillip, Barwell, and Gains when he was but ten years of age.  His parents had died when he was quite young, as he cannot remember his father, and has only a faint recollection of his mother.  These four brothers constituted the first settlement near Waynesville.  With these brothers he lived until he attained his majority, and married.  Was in the war of 1812 as a lieutenant; did not enlist, however, until 1813; he then served with distinction till the close of the war.  After the war he studied and graduated in medicine, and marrying at that time Miss McKay, living near Mount Holly, he commenced his practice there.  Mount Holly at that time was a flourishing village, with a fine farming community around it, but since then a distillery has been started and the curse of intemperance can be seen in the dilapidated condition of the town.  After a few years of successful practice here, he removed to near New Burlington, and there practiced until his retirement, in 1849.  Finding, however, that he could not cease practicing and remain, he purchased a stock farm near Sidney, in Shelby County, and removed there with his family, four boys and six girls.  Here he remained until two of his daughters died, and the rest of his children married, except one son and one daughter.  His wife died in 1860, and he then kept house with his daughter until about 1872.  She then died.  About this time, felling the want of companionship, he married Mrs. Mary Wilson, but she survived the union only a short time.  He died July, 1879, regretted by a large circle of friends.  Mr. Goode's life had always been blameless, he being a consistent life member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and when the summons came, he was prepared and willing to go.  Samuel went with his father to Sidney from Burlington, and remained with him until his marriage.  In fact, the burden of the farm duties fell upon him, as he was the only one regularly at home.  He was married May 11, 1859, to Miss Narcissa A. Lyle, of this county.  The result of this marriage was eight children: James M., attending school from Prof. Smith, of Xenia; Elizabeth M., Mary A., Katie B., Joseph H., Samuel, Moses, and Luela.  Mr. and Mrs. Goode, with their entire family who are old enough, are members of the Union Methodist Episcopal Church, the former having belonged for more than thirty years.  Their respective parents early inculcated  the good benefits to be derived from following the teachings of the Bible, and in early life led them to that fountain from which to drink is to thirst no more.  He is a staunch Republican, and voted first for Winfield Scott.  Resides three and one-half miles south of Xenia, on the Burlington  and Xenia Pike; where he lives is supposed by Mr. Fred Bonner to be the first settlement south of Xenia.  Mr. and Mrs. Goode are respected by all their neighbors, and make friends wherever known.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 863
  Cedarville Twp.
ROBERT GRAY, grocer, Cedarville, was born in Covington, Kentucky, in the year 1844.  The early part of his business life was spent in traveling for Kimball, Aikman & Co., of Indianapolis, and Henry Hammond & Co., of Cincinnati.  He has been a commercial traveler for seventeen years.  Came to this place, Aug. 11, 1879, and commenced his present business, which he has carried on successfully until the present time, keeping in stock almost everything that can be found in a first-class grocery store.  He is the son of John and Jane Gray, who were natives of the North of Ireland.   His father was born Dec. 25, 1798, and his mother Oct. 5, 1802.  Robert, the subject of this sketch, was married, in 1870, to Miss Belle Dempsey.  They have one daughter, Daisy E.; are members of the Presbyterian Church, and we recognize in Mr. Gray one of the leading business men of the town in which he lives.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 565
  Bath Twp. -
JOHN HADDOX is a native of Harrison County, West Virginia; born Dec. 29, 1791; son of Nimrod and Elizabeth (Saylor) Haddox, both natives of Virginia.  They immigrated to this state in 1801 or 1802, stopping one year near Chillicothe, on Deer Creek.  Not being satisfied there, they moved westward, and located in this county, on a farm, where he remained till the time of his death, acting in the capacity of justice of the peace during three years of the time, and died, in 1816, from injuries received by falling from a load of hay, caused by the sudden starting of the team.  His wife died the same year, leaving three children, John, Nimrod, and Mary.  John Haddox was reared on the farm, receiving but little education, and that in the common schools of the new country - log buildings, with greased paper for windows.  After having attained his majority, he lived on a rented farm, and kept the family till in his twenty-fourth year, at which time he married Sallie Cox, and began life in earnest.  After much hard work and shrewd management, he entered the southeast quarter of section 29, town 3, range 8, which, by the division of the county, now lies in Clarke, adjoining the county line.  Then he made a permanent home, and reared his family of seven children, of whom Malinda, William, John R., Sarah, George, and Maria are living, and Nimrod deceased.   He continued living on the farm till some twenty years ago, when he rented his farms, and went to Jasper County, Indiana, where he bought nine hundred acres of land, a mill, and still-house, and put his boys on the same, remaining there about eight years.  With the exception of this time, he has lived in this immediate vicinity since his boyhood; and although starting in life poor, he has, by good management, strict economy, and hard labor, accumulated a large property, owning several farms in this section of the country after having given his children a good start in life.  Mr. Haddox is a man of strong constitution and temperate habits, and although now nearly fourscore years and ten, he is able to attend to his business affairs to see after his farms, visiting them at least once a week.  In politics he is a staunch Republican, and says, with pride, that he never voted a Democratic ticket.  He has been instrumental in bringing about many of the improvements with which the county is now blessed.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 726
  Beaver Creek Twp. -
W. A. HAGENBUCK, physician and surgeon, Alpha, was born in Northampton County, Pennsylvania, in the year 1831.  He is a son of Stephen and Mary (Schreiber) Hagenbuck, who were born in the same county and state in which they were married and resided until 1836, when they came to Ohio, and located in Fairfield, Greene County, and followed the avocation of farming until 1876, when they removed to Dayton, where he died Oct. 26, 1878, aged seventy-seven years.  Mrs. Hagenbuck is still living, and resides in Dayton, where he died Oct. 26, 1878, aged seventy-seven years.  Mrs. Hagenbuck is still living, and resides in Dayton.  To them eight children were born, of whom six are still living: W. A., Elizabeth, now Mrs. David Huston; Sarah, deceased; Anna, now Mrs. Harvey Bennett; Stephen; Alice, now Mrs. James Andrews; Caroline, and Louis, deceased.  Mr. and Mrs. Hagenbuck were both members of the German Reformed Church, of which he was an elder.  The Doctor's early boyhood was passed on the farm, and received the rudiments of his education in the district schools, which was afterwards developed in the high schools in Springfield.  In 1852 he began the study of medicine under Dr. J. J. McIlkenney, a prominent physician of Fairfield, who was his preceptor for three years, after which institution conferred on him its diploma of graduation, in 1855.  He began the practice of his profession in Fairfield, but in 1856 located in Alpha, where he has since given his time and attention to the demands of a large and increasing practice, being now among the older practitioners of the county, and enjoying an enviable reputation as a skillful physician.  In 1860 he was married to Sarah J., daughter of John and Hettie Harbine, old and prominent settlers, whose history appears in this work.  To them four children have been born, William, Ettie, Jennie, and FrankMrs. Hagenbuck was born in Alpha, in the year 1838.  The doctor has a beautiful home in the village of Alpha, and is enjoying all the comforts of life, and is a man well preserved and competent to discharge the arduous duties of his profession.  He is a member of the Masonic lodge No. ___, of Xenia, with which he has been connected since the year 1866.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 600
  Caesars Creek Twp. -
EBER HAINES, farmer, is a native of this county, and was born Jan. 20, 1825.  Mar. 9, 1848, he was married to Mary Mendenhall, of Miami County.  Ten children were the result of this union, three of whom are deceased: Lydia A., William, and an infant.  Those living are Margaret E., Zimri D., Thaddeus A., Priscilla A., Webster, Mary M., and Watts.  Mr. Haines has a farm of one hundred and one acres, well improved, and farms to grain and stock.  He and his family are members of the Friends' Church.  The church relationship of the entire family has been a source of much comfort and pleasure.  He takes an active part in the public services, and serves his Master daily.  The family is of good repute, and calculated to elevate their associates into a nobler and better life, the love of God being shed abroad in the hearts of the family.  Mr. Haines has been preaching several years for the cause in which his soul is engaged.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 690
  Beaver Creek Twp. -
SILAS HALE, retired, Bellbrook, was born near Bellbrook, Aug. 26, 1803.  He is a son of John and Sarah (Bowen) Hale, who were probably born in Maryland.  They removed to Kennedy, and in 1802, came to Ohio, and located in Sugar Creek Township, where he engaged in farming and tanning.  Though on a small scale at first, through energy he developed a good business.  In 1338 he moved to Indiana (Kosciusko County), where he died in 1845, aged seventy-five years.  His wife died Dec. 25, 1813, aged thirty six years.  They were parents of three children, two living, Bowen and Silas; James, deceased.  By his second marriage, with Sarah Lewis, he had nine children six living: Rhoda, Sarah, Martha, Lewis, John, and Riley.  The deceased are Harman, Nancy, and David.  The subject of this sketch was brought up on the farm in the woods, and when old enough, was put to work in the tan-yard, where he labored till seventeen years old, at which time he was apprenticed to the cabinet-making business, in Wilmington, Clinton County, which, after completing, he returned to Bellbrook, and prosecuted his trade for ten years.  In 1833 he turned his attention to mercantile pursuits, furnishing a store on the same corner he now occupies.  In 18489 he was elected justice of the peace, which he held for six years.  He has also been treasurer of the township for forty years, and is the present incumbent in office.  During President Pierce's administration he was appointed postmaster of Bellbrook, and, though a Republican in politics, has held office through Democratic administrations.  In 1830 he was married to Mariam Opdyke, by whom he has had ten children, seven of whom are living: John, Henry, Frank, James, Silas, Dorinda, and Mary J., the deceased are Bowen, Melancthon, and Angeline Bowen are a member of Company D, Seventy-Fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, enlisting in December, 1861, and died at Camp Chase, in April, 1862.  John was also a member of the same company and regiment as his brother Bowen, enlisting at the same time.  He was discharged on account of disability, in 1862.  Frank was a member of Company F, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, enlisiting July 25, 1861.  He was in the same company and regiment as his brother Henry, whose biography appears in this work.  He saw much active service, passing through some of the engagements of the rebellion.  He was discharged in 1864.  He was also a member of the Second Kentucky Regiment, Company H, one hundred day men; served a portion of his time, and was honorably discharged.  Mr. Hale, our subject, has been fairly successful in life, and though he started a poor boy, has, through his energy and perseverence, combined with the assistance rendered by his wife, who has borne with him the fatigues and labors of the day for more than half a century, built up a good property, consisting of about one hundred and fifty acres of land and a good property in Bellbrook.  He and his amiable wife are members of the Protestant Methodist Church, with which they have been connected since 1840.  In politics he is Republican, having always voted with that party on all questions at issue.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 601
  Beaver Creek Twp. -
JACOB HANES, farmer, Zimmermanville, is a son of Jonathan and Mary Hanes, whose sketch appears in this work.  He was born in this township, Apr. 2d, 1832, and was reared on the farm, working for his father until twenty-five years of age.  In 1867 he was married to Mary M., daughter of William K. and Sarah Stull, who has borne him four children, Jonathan W., Francis A., Jacob L., and Cassius A.  Mrs. Hanes' parents were born in Greene County, and had four children, Francis, Mary, John B. and Jacob.  Her mother died in 1864, aged forty-four years.  Her father was born in 1820, and is yet living.  Francis was a member of the Seventy-Fourth Ohio National Guards; was in the engagement at New Creek, West Virginia.  Sarah, mother of Mrs. Hanes, was a member of the German Reformed Church.  For two years after his marriage Mr. Hanes lived on his father-in-law's farm, then located where he now lives.  He owns eight and two-thirds acres of land, which he farms to garden products, often realizing handsome profits.  He is a constant reader, and keeps himself well posted on the current events of the day.  He is no political aspirant, is satisfied in living  a quiet, ordinary life.  His estimable wife is a member of the German Reformed Church, with which she has been connected for a number of years.  She was born Mar. 9, 1847.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 602
  Beaver Creek Twp. -
JOHN HANES, farmer, Trebein, was born in Washington County, Maryland, in 1824.  He is a son of Adam and Sarah Hanes, who were born in the same county and state: his father Nov. 14, 1791, and his mother Feb. 1, 1795.  They were reared in their native county, in which they were married June 18, 1818.  They resided there until 1831, when they removed to Ohio, their journey being made by team and wagon.  They located temporarily on the Darmer farm, where they resided about five months.  During that time he purchased one hundred and ninety acres, where our subject now lives, on which they moved in the fall of 1831.  Their land had been improved, and thus they escaped many of the hardships which would otherwise have been theirs.  Here they made a permanent home, prospered, and at the death, the land had greatly increased.  Politically he was an old line Whig, had no aspirations for official honor, yet served as trustee of his township.  He is a member of the Lutheran Church, she belonging to the German Reformed.  They were parents of eight children, five living: Samuel, John, Luther, Lucretia, and Mary J.;  the deceased are Ann Maria, David, and David E.  Mr. Hanes departed this life June 6, 1865, his wife preceding him June 12, 1858.  John was a member of Company D, One Hundred and Fifty-Fourth Ohio National Guards, enlisting in May, 1864; the regiment was organized in 1863 as home guards.  He was discharged at the expiration of his term of service.  His boyhood was passed on the farm, and he obtained a superior education in the common schools.  He remained with his parents until he was thirty-six years old, when, Mar. 5, 1860, he was married to Mary, daughter of John Middleton, of Caesar's Creek Township, still residing on the old homestead.  He is a Republican, and has held the office of trustee and land assessor, each two years.  He owns two hundred and thirty acres of land under good cultivation, well improved, and one of the most delightful places in this vicinity.  They are members of the German Reformed Church, with which they have been connected eight or ten years.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 603
  Beaver Creek Twp. -
JONATHAN HANES, retired farmer, Zimmermanville, is another of the old and prominent settlers in this township.  He was born in Maryland, in 1802, and is a son of Jacob and Mary Hanes, who were born in the same state, where they were married, and in 1805 immigrated to Ohio.  Mr. Hanes, in partnership with a Mr. Puterbaugh, purchased a flat-boat in Wheeling, on which they loaded their goods and families, and came to Cincinnati, and from thence, by team to this county, and located on land now owned by his son Jacob.  Five acres had been cleared, which was a great help to him, in getting his first crop.  In his house was the first county clerk's office, presided over by John Paul.  Here Mr. Hanes and his wife made a permanent home.  He held some of the prominent offices of the county, serving as associate judge for seven years; was also justice of the peace many terms, and a soldier in the war of 1812.  He was successful in life, built up a large property, and was respected and esteemed by all who knew him.  He died in the sixty-sixth year of his age.  His wife survived him, and died at the age of eighty-two years.  Six children were born to them, four of whom are living: Jacob, Jonathan, Mary and Frances.  The deceased are Eleanor and Catharine.  Our subject was reared on the farm, and after attaining his majority, engaged in distilling, in its season, for several years.  In 1831, he was married to Mary Smeltzer, by whom he had two children, Mary and Jacob.  Since his marriage he has lived where he now resides, and owns four hundred and eight-four and a half acres of choice farming land.  He had led rather a quiet life, having no aspirations for official honors,  though his fellow-townsmen have frequently bestowed upon him local honors.  He and his wife are members of the Lutheran Church, and exemplary Christians.  In the church, he has been a deacon for many years.  For half a century this old couple have traveled life's journey together, as man and wife; have shared each other's joys, partook alike of each other's burdens and sorrows, and now, in their declining years, we find them far down the hill, toward the settling sun of life, but yet strong, and enjoying the fruits of their labors, gleaned from well-spent lives.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 604
  Jefferson Twp. -
CALVIN A. HANGHEY
, farmer, Bowersville, is a son of John and Patience (Studivan) Hanghey, who came to this township about the year 1810, where they lived the remainder of their lives.  They were born, reared, and married in Grayson County, Virginia, being married at the respective ages of twenty-one and eighteen.  Parents of twelve children, two deceased, Nancy and and infant; the others are all married, except Calvin, who has a farm and two hundred and forty acres, on which he has a good, large frame house, a good barn, and a large corn-drying house; his farm is in general good repair, and is located three fourth of a mile south of the village of Bowersville, on the pike leading from Bowersville to Hillsborough. Farms chiefly to grain, and has made a specialty of raising sweet corn for the last few years, which he dries for winter use.  Is a member of the I. O. O. F. of Bowersville; united with this order in 1876; is also a charter member of the Patrons of Husbandry of Bowersville.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 839
  Jefferson Twp. -
DAVID P. HANGHEY
, farmer, Bowersville, is a on of J. Q. A. and Louvina (Paullin) Hanghey.  David P. is a native of this county, and a brother of Calvin, whose biography appears in this work.  Our subject was born in this township, Jan. 19,1 856, where he was reared, and married Miss Rose, a daughter of Daniel Earley, whose biography also appears in this work.  She was born Oct. 28, 1859.  They were married Mar. 14, 1877; two children being the result of the union, Daniel A. and Lucinda, both living.  Mrs. Earley has a farm of one hundred acres, on which they live.  This is a part of the large tract of land formerly owned by her father, who gave it to her shortly after her marriage, and is situated on the Jamestown and Port William road, about three miles west of the village of Bowersville.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 839
  Beaver Creek Twp. -
JOHN HARBEIN, deceased, was born in Washington County, Maryland, Jan. 17, 1804.  In the son of Daniel and Elizabeth (Ruber) Harbein, who were born in Berks County, Pennsylvania, from which they removed to Maryland, where he was engaged in milling pursuits, and where he and his wife lived till their decease.  The subject of this sketch was reared to milling pursuits in his native state, where he received the rudiments of an education in the district schools, and remained with his father in the mill until his twenty-third year, when he was married to Hetty, daughter of Rudolph and Magdalene (Kauffman) Herr, who were born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, in 1827, and the following year, in the fall, removed to Ohio, in a team, locating in Alpha.  Fitting up the dilapidated old mill, which had been purchased the year before his coming, he began using it, operating a distillery and saw-mill in connection with it, until 1855.  A year or two later, he built a grain warehouse in Xenia, on the site of the oil-mill now owned and operated by J. Thomas Harbein, and also fitted up an oil-mill on Beaver Creek, by putting in new machinery, and changing from water to steam power.  In this enterprise he was actively engaged until 1868, when he practically retired from active business, but continued giving an oversight to his well-founded enterprise.  During his long life of active labor he built up an enviable reputation as an honest and efficient business man.  Religiously, he was strongly impressed with the convictions and truths of the Bible and Christianity, and at about the age of twenty-eight, became a member of the Reformed Church, and during his long and eventful life was a consistent and exemplary member, being identified in the official capacity of elder and deacon, positions be honorably filled.  Politically, in early life he was a Whig, and upon the depth of that party, became a strong Republican.  He attended to his usual avocations up to the time he received his first stroke of paralysis, from which he partially recovered, so as to still attend to his business.  From his second stroke he never recovered, losing his speech, and gradually failing, until he passed away, June 8, 1873.  His remains are interred in Woodland Cemetery, in Xenia, where a monument marks his last resting-place.  Eight children were born to him, five of whom are now living: Jacob H., Hetting (now Mrs. John M. Miller), Sarah J. (now Mrs. Dr. Hagenback), J. Thomas, and Benjamin F.  The deceased are Daniel R., who died in Denver, Colorado, Feb. 7, 1875, aged forty-four years; Mary E. (Mrs. David Steele), Aug. 2, 1859, near Bloomfield, Iowa, aged twenty-five years; Ann C. (Mrs. George W. Smith), Dec. 28, 1869, aged twenty-nine years.  Of the living, all reside in the county, except Frank, who is in Lakeport, California, and is without a family.  Mrs. Harbein was born Sept. 21, 1806.  Her parents lived in Pennsylvania during their early life, where her mother died.  Her father was again married, and in his old age came to Ohio, and settled in Montgomery County, afterward removing to Tippecanoe, Miami County, where he was accidentally drowned in 1858.  By his first marriage he had twelve children, of whom Mrs. Harbein is the eldest.  Eight are living at present - Hettie, Nancy, Rudolph, Mollie, Maria, Sarah, Susan, and John.  The deceased are Jacob, Joseph, Elizabeth and Benjamin.  By his second marriage he had one child, Anna, deceased.  Mrs. Harbein, sen., was born Sept. 27, 1786, and died Oct. 6, 1836.  Mrs. Harbein, second, was born Sept. 20, 1784, and died in 1858.  They are members of the Mennonite Church, and both died in the faith.  Mr. Harbein is a member of the Reformed Church, with which she has been connected since 1829.  Jacob Harbein, son of John and Hettie Harbein, was born Dec. 3, 1832.  His early life was passed at home, where he received the rudiments of an education in the common schools, which has developed by a year's study in a higher institution.  When old enough, he was employed in the distillery and mill, which were operated by his brother Frank succeeded him, till 1873, when, on account of ill-health, Frank also withdrew, and went West.  Since then, Jacob has carried on the business individually.  Politically, he is also Republican.  Daniel R. Harbein was born in what was the first court house in Greene County, June 21, 1830.  Was married to Harriet F. Huston, Apr. 19, 1860.  She was a daughter of Israel HustonDaniel was a public spirited and good business man, and died in Denver, Colorado.  His remains were brought home, and interred in Woodland Cemetery, at Xenia, and was loved and esteemed by all who knew him.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 605
  Bath Twp. -
PETER E. HARDMAN, farmer, was born on the farm where he now lives, Apr. 1, 1824.  He is a son of Peter and Sarah Edge Hardman, natives of Virginia.  The early history of the parents of our subject, demands a passing notice at our hands.  His father was of German descent, born in Hardy County, Virginia, but was reared to manhood in Harrison County, where he married Margaret Hacker, in whose early history a scene of horror and bloodshed, only paralleled by those of the Minnesota massacre of 1862 and 1863, was enacted.  At related by them in after years, it was briefly as follows:  She was eleven years old, and was at the house of a married sister, on Hacker's Creek, near Clarksburg, Virginia, when a company of marauding Indians passed through the country and murdered the entire family, tomahawking and scalping every one of them.  Margaret tried to conceal herself behind a door, while the work of death was going on, but she was soon discovered, and one of the savages gave her a blow on the side of the head, which felled her to the floor as if dead.  They then proceeded to take the scalps from the heads of the entire family.  They dragged little Margaret by the hair a distance of some five hundred years, severed her scalp and there her over a fence, and left her to welter in her blood, but looking back and thinking that possibly life was not extinct, one of them returned and stabbed her with his knife.  The point, however, struck a rib, and it would seem that only by the direct intervention of fate was her life spared, and she the progenitor of a large family.  She was left weak from the loss of blood, and was not able for some time to change her position, but finally was so far restored, as to be able to crawl in to the thick branches of a fallen tree, where she remained through the following night, in four of the return of the dreaded enemy, after which she managed to get back to the scene of horror, at the now desolate house of her sister, where she was found and cared for.  She grew to womanhood, and as we have said, was married to Peter Hardman sometime in 1798, and came to this state in 1808, and died July 20, 1815, in her thirty-ninth year  The remote cause of her death was the blow from the Indian tomahawk.  She, however, bore her husband ten children, all of whom survive her.  Mr. Hardman's boyhood, was spent among the mountains of his native state.  He had early been apprenticed to a blacksmith, and his acquaintance with working iron and steel, became very useful to him in his new home in the west.  He became a subject of divine grace as early as 1804, with so much zeal that in the course of another year he was licensed as a local Methodist preacher.  He came her in 1808, and made a home on the east side of what is known as Tatman's Prairie.  After defraying the expenses of the trip, which was by road wagon, with four horses, he had just $1.25 left.  Here he lived and labored, nor did he neglect the gifts or graces of preacher and exhorter, but whenever in private dwelling or in school houses, he could get an audience on the Sabbath or week-day evenings, there he delighted in preaching the Gospel of Christ.  In October, 1815, he married for his second wife, Mrs. Sarah Edge, a widow with two children.  She bore him seven children, making seventeen in all, besides the two of his wife's which were adopted into the same family.  He remained on the original farm, till 1852, when he removed to Osborn, where he spent the remainder of his life, dying the 30th day of July, 1857.  His posterity consisted of seventeen children, eight-two grandchildren, fifty-two great grandchildren, and four great, great, grand children, in all, one hundred and fifty-five souls.  Peter E., the subject of this sketch, is a son of the second wife.  He lived with his father until he was twenty-one, and then began cropping on the shares, having every thing furnished and he getting the one-third.  After four years, he and his brother W. R., rented the farm up to the time of the death of their father, when the property was left them by will.  They continued farming together up to 1875 and 1876, since which time, Peter E. has had the entire charge of the farm of one hundred and thirty-four acres, and has, also, a two-thirds interest in one hundred and thirty-six acres near Yellow Springs, besides a house and other property in Osborn.  He has acquired his competence by hard work and loaning money.  He has acquired his competence by hard work and loaning money, which he began by loaning nine dollars.  He followed the plan carefully, always living within his means, and made it a rule to have a little surplus.  For some years past, he has quit heavy or regular labor in the fields.  In 1848, he married Maria Clayton, who has borne him seven children, four of whom, Sarah C., Owen P., James R. and Cassius M., are living.  George W., Ellen M., and Merite, deceased - George W., in 1852, when three years of age, of scarlet fever; Ellen, an estimable young lady of nineteen, of spinal complaint, in 1873; and Mertie, the youngest, by ten or eleven years, of membranous croup, in 1872.  During the last twelve or fifteen years, Mr. Hardman has been dealing quite extensively in cattle, buying, grazing and raising.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 726
  Jefferson Twp. -
JAMES HARGRAVE
, farmer, is a son of Herbert and Millie, whose biographies appear in this work.  The subject of this sketch was born in this county, July 1, 1853, where he was married to Miss Maud J. Thompson, a daughter of Daniel and Tabitha; two children are a result of this marriage, Laumor and Effie, both of whom are living.  He has a farm of fifty-three and three -fourth acres, well improved on which he lives, farming to both grain and stock.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 838
  Jefferson Twp. -
JOHN HARGRAVE
, farmer, was born in this county Sept. 16, 1844, where he was reared, and married to Miss Emeline Glass, a native of the same county, Mar. 20, 1872; three children is the result of this marriage, Lucian E. Jasper A., and Charles O., all of whom are living.  Mr. Hargrave is a member of the Christian Church of Bowersville.  He has a farm of one hundred and one acres, well improved, on which he lives, and farms chiefly to gain.  This farm is a part of the ;land mentioned in his mother's biography.  He is a son of Herbert Hargrave and Millie whose sketches appear in this work.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 838
  Jefferson Twp. -
MILLIE HARGRAVE, a native of North Carolina, Jackson County, was born 1813, where she lived until twenty-one years of age, then came to Clinton County, Ohio, where she remained one year, and then came to this county where she has lived since.  Was married Dec. 4, 1834, to Herbert H. Hargrave.  There were ten children of this marriage, of whom eight are living:  Harriet, Rachel, John, William, James, Mary, Catharine, Lincoln, and Anna.  Mr. Hargrave was born 1805, died Sept. 8, 1869.  He had a farm of three hundred and seventy-five acres of land, which after his death was divided among the children and widow.  She has one hundred and twenty-five acres, well improved on which she lives.  He came to Ohio at the age of twenty-one years, spent several years in traveling, ate dinner with President Jackson in the White house, who took pains to show him through the house, and the national relics.  He tired of traveling, bought the land where Mrs. Hargrave and family now live.  Then there were but few houses in this locality.  Jamestown had but one store.  Xenia had about five hundred inhabitants.  The only railroad seen in Mrs. Hargrave's journey from North Carolina, was in West Virginia.  The village of Bowersville had but one house, that was owned by a Peter Bowermaster.  the nearest church, was a log about four miles south of their home.  They have heard the wolves howl around the house, and counted the wild turkeys as they passed.  Mr. Hargrave went out one morning to find some strayed hogs, got lost on his own land, then almost an unbroken forest, and wandered through the woods all day but found his way home just at dark.  The farming implements consisted of a wooden plow, wood harrow, cradle and sickle.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 838
  Jefferson Twp. -
WILLIAM HARGRAVE, farmer, Bowersville, is a son of Herbert H. and Millie Hargrave, whose biography appears in this work, and was born in this county, Oct. 5, 1847, where he was reared and married to Miss Minerva Thompson, of this county.  Two children are the result of this union, Leota and Oscar, both living.  He has a farm of seventy-nine acres, well improved, on which he lives; farms to both grain and stock.  Mrs. Hargrave is a daughter of Daniel and Tabitha, who are natives of Fayette County, but reside in this county at present.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 842
  Beaver Creek Twp. -
DANIEL HARNER, farmer, Byron, was born near where he now lives, in 1825, and is a son of George Harner, deceased.  In 1850, he was married to Elizabeth Huddleson, by whom he had four children, two of whom are living: Frances and Daniel L.  The deceased are Elizabeth C. and Sarah H.  Mrs. Harner died in 1861, aged twenty-eight years.  She was a true and loving wife, and an affectionate mother.  After her death, Mr. Harner enlisted in Company E, Seventy-Fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and passed through many of the hard-fought battles of the war - Stone River, Chickamauga, Nashville, Franklin, Lookout Mountain, the seige of Atlanta, and was with the intrepid Sherman on his glorious march to the sea.  Re-enlistment in Ringgold, Georgia, in 1863, and carried the musket throughout the war.  Besides the above prominent battles, he participated in many skirmishes, which were almost an every-day occurrence.  Was discharged in 1865, arriving home on the 4th day of July.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 606
  Beaver Creek Twp. -
SIMON HARNER, retired farmer, was born on the place on which he lives, in the year 1810, and is a son of John, and Sarah (Koogler) Harner.  His father was born in Germany, who with his father, emigrated to America when thirteen years old.  They settled on a farm in Pennsylvania, where they lived till their removal to Ohio, locating where the city of Cincinnati now is.  After remaining several years, they came and settled where Simon now lives.  Several years before he was born, they purchased a section of wild land.  They were successful in life, leaving at their death, five hundred and seventy-three acres of choice farming land; were both members of the Lutheran Church from childhood, and he died at the age of seventy-five years, she at the remarkable age of one hundred and two years, and some months.  At this great age, she was remarkably active, having good use of her mental and physical faculties.  The boyhood of our subject, was passed on the farm where he lives, remaining with his parents till twenty-one years old.  In 1838, he was married to Sarah, daughter of Jacob Wolf, by whom he had ten children, nine living, William Christina, Rebecca, Mathias, Amos, Lenora, Marcellus, Cassius, and Lincoln, infant, deceased.  He owns four hundred and seventy-six acres of land, mostly in cultivation, and well improved, and is a member of the Lutheran, and his wife of the Reformed Church, both having been members for many years.  His son William, was a member of Company C, One Hundred and Tenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, served throughout the war, and was in a number of the hard fought battles, was severely wounded in the wilderness fight, also at Winchester, where he was taken prisoner, and held two months before exchanged; was sergeant of his company, and made a lieutenant before the close.  Mathias was a member of the One Hundred and Seventy-Fourth Ohio National Guard, served his term, and was honorably discharged.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 607
  Silver Creek Twp. -
GIDEON HARNESS, farmer, son of Peter and Susannah (Shook) Harness, who were married in this county, in 1810.  He died Mar. 21, 1873, aged seventy-one years.  She is still living, and was born in Virginia, June 10, 1804; came with her parents to this county, in1810, where she and Mr. Harness were married, Apr. 19, 1827.  They had eight children; seven of whom are living.  Mr. and Mrs. Harness were members of the Methodist Church.  He had been a member of this church for thirty years, and died in the faith in which he had lived.  When they came to this county it was quite new and wild.  They have witnessed and helped to make many changes.  Gideon was born Dec. 10, 1827, in this county, where he was reared, educated, and where he married Miss Eliza J. Smith, daughter of Charles, Apr. 7, 1853.  Two children was the result of this union: Marion and Rosa, both living.  Mr. Harness has a farm of one hundred and eighty-seven acres, on which he lives, situated three miles southwest of Jamestown.  He is a member of the Methodist Church of New Jasper, also a member of the Masonic fraternity of Jamestown.  Marion  is a member of the Baptist Church of Cser's Creek society.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 794
  Cedarville Twp.
GEORGE W. HARPER, farmer and stock raiser, Cedarville, was born in this county, May 30, 1825.  Is a son of Thomas and Mary (Sirlotte) Harper, who were born at Harper's Ferry, Virginia, the name of which place originated from the same family of Harpers.  They came to this county about the year 1812, and are numbered among the earliest settlers of the same.  Mr. Harper grew to be one of the wealthiest farmers, and departed this life, Jan. 8, 1878, aged eighty-two years.  His wife, Mary S. Harper, died Apr. 6, 1873.  George, the subject of this sketch, spent the early part of his life at home, with his parents.  At the age of eighteen he commenced business for himself, dealing in cattle in Illinois, and he remained in that business until the present time.  He was educated in the common schools, except one year, when he attended Thomas Steele's select school.  He was married, in the year 1860, to Vinnie Murray, daughter of George and Vinnie (Morris) Murray.  We are pleased to record George as one of, if not the largest land owners now in the county, owning eleven hundred acres at the present time, and has about completed the handsomest dwelling now in Cedarville.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 565

J. W. HARPER
Xenia Twp. -
  J. W. HARPER

Portrait Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page (betw. 508-509)

  Ross Twp. -
THOMAS H. HARPER, farmer, Selma, Clarke County, Ohio, is a native of this county; born Mar. 17, 1834, and has been a resident of this county all his life.  Was married to Rilla (Herriman) Harper, Jan. 16, 1865.  They have three children living:  two deceased; Idella, Ottis, and Henry, survive.  Mary  and William died at the early age of two years.  Their children are all unmarried, and are at home with their parents.  Mr. Harper has a farm of six hundred and fifty-six acres well improved;  farms chiefly to stock.  Mr. Harper is a member of the Methodist Church.  Thomas' father was a native of Maryland, and came to this county about the year 1804; was married May 17, 1818, to Mary (Sirlott) Harper; and lived in this county the remainder of his life; died Jan. 13, 1878.  Mrs. Harper died Apr. 6, 1873.  Mr. Harper was a farmer, owning a farm of nine hundred and ninety-five acres.  He had five children, William Harrison, Minerva Ann, George W., Thomas H., and Mary L., all of whom are living.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 758
  Beaver Creek Twp. -
JOHN C. HARSHMAN, farmer, deceased, was born in this township in 1807, and is a son of Philip and Frances Harshman of Maryland, who were among the pioneers of this county, living in their wagon till they could erect a house on the land they first settled, where they lived and died.  Were the parents of six children, of whom only two survive.   Our subject was raised on the farm, on which he labored for his father, until he was twenty-one years of age, receiving his education in a school house made of logs, slabs for seats, and greased paper for window lights.  In the year 1841, he was married to Anna M., daughter of Samuel Miller, by whom he had nine children, of whom seven are living, Sarah E., Ephriam F., Anna M., Martha E., Reuben M., Freeman, and Lincoln.  The deceased are Samuel H., and Mary C.  After his marriage, he came to the farm on which his widow now lives.  He originally purchased two hundred acres of woodland, erected a small cabin, and with his bride, occupied the same.  They cleared the land, were prosperous, and by their united efforts, succeeded in adding to their original purchase, and at his death, he owned four hundred acres.  He was a man of more than ordinary mental ability, and loved to investigate the principles of science and theology.  Their son, Samuel H., was a member of Company C, Seventy-Fourth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, enlisted first in the one hundred day service, after which he enlisted in the some regiment for three years, and was in some of the hard fought battles.  Army life broke down his health.  He died at the age of twenty-three.  Mr. Harshman was a man held in high respect, occupying positions of honor and trust.  He departed this life, June 27, 1880, having lived a long, and well spent life.  Mr. Harshman was born in this township, in 1819.  His parents came from Pennsylvania, Lancaster County, about 1817, living here till their death, the father at the age of sixty-three years, the mother at the advanced age of four score and four years.   To them seven children were born, four living.  Samuel, Martha, Anna M., and Alosa.  The deceased are John, Daniel, Reuben, and Eliza.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 608
  Caesar's Creek Twp. -
JAMES F. HARTSOOK, farmer, is a native of this county, and was born Feb. 3, 1831.  May 28, 1868, he was married to Mary J. Hale, of this county.  Four children were the result of this union:  Luther H., Allen S., Harper K. and Silas B., all of whom are living but Allen, who died at the early age of six months.  Mr. Hartsook has a farm containing one hundred and twenty-five acres, well improved, on which he lives, farming chiefly to grain.  Himself and wife are members of the Methodist Church.  He untitled with the church in 1865, and she some years previous.  He served in the late war, as a member of Company D, One Hundred and Tenth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry; was in the battles of Winchester, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor, Pittsburgh, and others.  He served two years and ten months in defense of his beloved and perishing country, and received a fresh wound only.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 890
  Beaver Creek Twp. -
ADAM HAWKER, farmer and minister, was born where he now lives, in 1813.  He is a son of Andrew and Susanna (Coy) Hawker, who were born in Maryland, where they were married.  In the year 1800 they came to this county, and located on the farm adjoining the one on which their surviving child resides.  They were parents of ten children, nine deceased, Jacob, Frederick, Abraham, Elizabeth, Mary, Catherine, Susanna, Eve and Barbara.  From childhood they had been members of the German Reformed Church, and were very exemplary people.  He died Aug. 10, 1850, aged eighty-two years; she departed this life, Nov. 19, 1867, aged ninety three years.  Mr. Hawker was reared on the farm, and received a limited education in the common schools.  Nov. 10, 1836, he was married to Hannah Westfall, a daughter of John and Mary Westfall, of Maryland, and who were early settlers of this county, in which they died.  He was a soldier in the war of 1812.  After his marriage, Mr. Hawker settled on land where he has since lived, and gave his attention to farming, till the fall of 1871, when he entered the ministry; though previously he had been an exhorter.  To them nine children have been born, seven living, David W., John A., Jacob, Adam F., Mary C., Harriet, and Pamelia  He owns one hundred and sixty acres of land, which is nicely improved.  Mrs. Hawker was born in this county, June 15, 1819.  Their Children are all members of their church.  Mr. Hawker has served as trustee of the township for five years.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 609
  Miami Twp. -
J. D. HAWKINS, merchant, Yellow Springs, was born in Maryland, Apr. 25, 1832, and is a son of Abram and Anna (Kuhn) Hawkins, both natives of Maryland.  They had a family of eight children, five of whom are living.  The subject of this sketch came to Ohio, and in 18952, walking nearly all the way from Cumberland, Maryland, and after leading in Ohio, commenced working for Hon. Aaron Harlan, and cut and put up about three hundred cords of wood, the first winter in Ohio; he then worked in the warehouse of Stewart Brothers for one year, and on Dec. 8, 1853, was married to Miss Louisa Baker, daughter of Isaac Baker, and niece of Brinton Baker, of Xenia, who bore him four children,, all dying in 1863, within one week; their names were, Albert M., Anna E., Eddie W., and Harry.  He enlisted in Company D, Captain Tully's Forty-Fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Colonel U. S. Gilbert, for three years, and was honorably discharged.  Is a member of the Masonic order, and also of the Independent Order Odd Fellows.  Voted the Democratic ticket in 1853-4-5; after that, when the Republican party was born, he has voted that ticket solid.  Through his unswerving energy, faithfulness to business, and honest, square dealing, he has gained a reputation worthy the confidence and support of all good, honest people.  He is now engaged in the dry goods business at Yellow Springs, and is doing his full share of the business of the place.  Has filled the office of corporation treasurer for twelve years, and that of township treasurer for three years, and, in the writer's judgment, is to-day well qualified and worthy to fill any office in the county within the gift of the people.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 702
  Beaver Creek Twp. -
JACOB HERING, retired farmer, was born on the place on which he resides, June 9, 1808.  He is a son of Jacob and Barbara (Richenbaugh) Hering, who were born in Switzerland, where they were married, and after two children were born to them, Elizabeth and Margaret, in the year 1793, emigrated to America, and located in Frederick County, Maryland, where they resided till 1806, the time of their coming to this county.  Their journey was made by team over the mountains, to Wheeling, Virginia, and from that place down the river to Cincinnati by boat, then overland hither.  He purchased a section of land, on which a small cabin had been erected, and a few acres cleared.  Into this he moved his family, which gave them shelter, till 1812, when he built a brick house, in which our subject now lives, it being one of the first erected in the township.  Here this old couple of pioneers lived, cleared up a portion of their land, and made their improvements.  They were parents of four children, of whom our subject alone survives.  Barbara was born on the home farm.  He was born in 1763, died June 2, 1836, aged seventy-two years.  Barbara, his wife, was born in 1770, died Feb. 10, 1810.  They were life-long members of the German Reformed Church, and were strict observers of scriptural truths.  The boyhood of our subject, passed as was common with pioneer boys, and he received a good educated for that day.  He remained at home till he attained his majority, at which time he began life for himself.  Feb. 3, 1831, he was married to Mary, daughter of Ebenezer Steele, by whom he had nine children, four of whom are living, Amanda, born Dec. 2, 1831; Ebenezer, born in 1832; Henry H., born Oct. 31, 1840; Albert H., born Dec. 16, 1845.  The deceased, John W., born Mar. 10, 1834, died Aug. 23, 1835; Nancy A., born July 16, 1835, died Oct. 1, 1836; David E., born Oct. 10, 1838, died June 10, 1844; Angeline, born Feb. 1, 1837, died in March, 1874.  Ebenezer was married to Mary E. Lantz; Angeline was married to Lester Arnold; Henry was married to Allie Murphy.  They have three hundred and thirty-five acres of land, on which to enjoy his declining years.  Mr. Hering, died July 2, 1868, aged sixty-six years.  She was a member of the German Reformed Church, and an exemplary Christian woman.  Mr. Hering is a member of the same church, with which he has been connected a greater portion of his life.  His children are members of the same church, which is an enjoyable fact to their aged parents.  He has filled  many of the office of the township trustee, supervisor, school director, etc., all to the satisfaction of his constituents.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 609
  Jefferson Twp. -
ANDREW D. HITE
, farmer, Jamestown, is a native of this county, and was born Dec. 11, 1814, where he was reared and married, November, 1833, to Mary Meyers, a native of Kentucky.  Nine children are the result of this marriage:  James H., William, George A., Catherine, John, Allen, Cyrus M., Elizabeth D., and one who died in infancy; James, George, and Elizabeth have died.  Those living are married, save Catherine, who is at home with her parents.  Mr. Hite has been a member of the Baptist Church for more than forty years, and was a minister of that denomination for many years, receiving his first license to preach in 1845, which position he occupied until quite recently, when he resigned.  He served two successive terms as member of the board of education.  Has a farm of ninety-seven acres, well improved, about eighty acres of which are in cultivation - the result of his and his wife's industry and good management.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 839
  Jefferson Twp. -
WILLIAM M. HITE
, farmer, is a son of Andrew and Mary Hite, whose biography appears in this work.  He was born February 14, 1839, near Xenia, where was reared, and was married, Mar. 19, 1861, to Miss Sarah L. Dalby, of this county, where she was born, in December, 1843.  Six children are the result of this marriage - Mary E., Alpheus, Charlie, Oscar, Maud, and Mertie, all of whom are living.  Our subject is a member of the Odd-Fellows lodge of Bowersville, uniting with the order in November, 1873; was elected township trustee in 1876, and served one term; elected again in 1880, and holds the office  at this writing; has been a member of the board of education for several years; has a farm of one hundred and thirty-two acres, on which he lives, having a fine, large brick house, and other buildings necessary to a well improved farm.  This property is the result of good management, and is one of the best farms in the township, located about four miles south of Jamestown.  Mrs. Hite's father, Jesse Dalby, was born Oct. 3, 1815, and died Oct. 1, 1845, and was married in October.  Her mother is still living, having married Mr. James Tuttle of Illinois, and is now living in Logan County, that state.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 840
  Miami Twp. -
ADAM M. HOLHUT, butcher, Yellow Springs, was born in Europe, in the year 1855, and is a son of John and Ursley Holhut, both natives of Europe.  Adam immigrated to Ohio in 1870, and landed in Hamilton County on the 18th of June, where he remained until he learned the baker's trade, which he followed for sometime, when he commenced the butchering business in Xenia, where he remained some seven months, and then went to Springfield, remaining some eighteen months, and then came to Yellow Springs, where he still resides.  Was married Nov. 10, 1880, to Miss Louisa F. Collier, daughter of David and Elizabeth Collier, of Yellow Springs.  Is a member of the Catholic Church.  Keeps a clean and inviting shop.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 703
  Jefferson Twp. -
JOSEPH P. HOLLINGSWORTH
, farmer, is a native of this county, and was born May 20, 1833; was reared and educated here, and was here married to Miss Martha Bales, in February, 1860.  Five children are the result of their marriage - Emma E., Alonzo, Marion, Charlie, and Hattie, all of whom are living.  Our subject has a farm of seventy-four acres, on which he lives, farming to grain and stock.  Is a brick mason by trade, learning the trade in this county, which he began about 1848, and has worked at that trade a great portion of the time since then.  Is a member of the Bowersville Lodge No. 559, I. O. O. F., having united with that order in 1864.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 840
  Xenia Twp. -
R. F. HOWARD, lawyer, Xenia, was born in Hamilton, Ohio, at College Hill, on the 20th day of July, 1813.  Is a son of Cyrus and Lucy Howard.  Received his education at Miami University, and graduated at Augusta, Kentucky.  Also graduated at Cincinnati Law School in 1837.  In 1849 was married to Miss Margaret Steele, a native of this city.  They had a family of seven children, only two of whom are now living, Charles F. and William S.  Mr. Howard has been mayor of the city, and has been one of the school board examiners for twenty years, and has been a member of the legislature for five years.  Commenced the practice of law in 1837, and by his untiring energy has climbed, step by step, until he stands in the front rank at the bar, being one of the most able lawyers in the county.  In 1873 his first wife died, and in 1876 he was married to Miss Mary Pollock, of Logan County.  Is a member of the Presbyterian Church in this city, and has gained a host of friends throughout the county.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 500
  Bath Twp. -
REUBEN C. HOOVER, physician, Osborn, was born in Shippensburg, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, June 1, 1821, and is a son of Jacob and Mary (Smith) Hoover.  His father was a wagon-maker by trade, and followed that business where over subject was born.  Dr. Hoover was educated at Shippensburg, and read medicine in Adams County, under Dr. Joseph M. Smith, his uncle.  He attended lectures at the Jefferson Medical College, at Philadelphia, and afterward at the Pennsylvania Medical College, at the same place, where he graduated.  He practiced five years, between the two courses, at Centerville, Cumberland County, and five years at the same place after he graduated.  In 1854 he came to this state, stopping one year at Springfield, after which he came to Bath Township, where he has remained ever since, practicing in Osborn and Fairfield.  In 1843 he married Catharine Smith who bore him five children: Calvin, Margaret (Mrs. Cox), Emma, Laura, and Reuben C., jr.  Of these, two only are living: Reuben C., M. D., who graduated in 1876, at the Cleveland Medical College; and Mrs. Cox.  Calvin was a physician, also, dying at the age of thirty-two.  Dr. Hoover has now an extensive practice, and enjoys the confidence of many friends.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 728
  Jefferson Twp. -
JOSEPH HUFFAKER, farmer, was born in Illinois, in February, 1835, where he was reared and educated, and came to this county in 1861.  Left Illinois about 1854, and went to Texas, where he remained for six years; thence to Missouri; thence to Cincinnati, thence to eastern Ohio; thence to this county, where he married Miss Evelyn Hussey, a daughter of Christopher Hussey, the second one of the name, and a son of the first settler of this township, which marriage was consummated in October, 1863.  They have five children, all living: Frank, Daisy, Mary, Warren, and Elisie.  Our subject has a farm of one hundred and fifty-three acres, well improved, on which he lives.  To the passer-by, his farm speaks of its owner as a man of ingenuity and enterprise.  The fences are in good repair, many of them having living stakes, such as are calculated to save repair on account of decay.  The implements are kept in order by his own hands, and many of them are made by him.  He makes his own gates in such a convenient way that they are opened without getting out of the wagon.  In fact, the farm indicates that an enterprising man is possessor of it.  He joined the Masonic fraternity of Jamestown in 1872, and is also a member of the Patrons of Husbandry of Bowersville.
Source:  History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 840
  Bath Twp. -
SIMON S. HUFFER, farmer, Osborn, was born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, May 23, 1813, and is a son of Abraham and Elizabeth ( Stoner) Huffer, both natives of the same county.  They moved, with their family, to this state, in 1815, and located at what has since been known as Huffersville, within a short distance of where Simon S. Now lives.  Abraham was a weaver and distiller, and brought a still with him from Pennsylvania, which he used in a modest way the remainder of his life.  They had six sons and one daughter: John, Samuel, Abraham, Joseph, Simon S., Annie, Eliza, and Daniel S.  Four of them are still living - Annie E. in Illinois, the remainder in this state.  He owned some seven hundred acres of land where he lived.  At an early date he built Huffer's Mill, and did a flourishing business for the time, making as many as fifty and sixty barrels of flour per day.  In many ways he assisted much in the growth and prosperity of the country.  He died Aug. 29, 1843, after having attained the age of sixty-six years.  His wife survived him until the 9th of August, 1862, dying in her eighty-third year.  Simon S. Huffer, as has been seen, came to this state with his parents when only two years of age, and has lived where he now resides ever since.  In his early life, he followed farming, in connection with teaming, but since his marriage has devoted his entire attention to farming, making a specialty of raising grain.  Aug. 16, 1840, he married Maria Wise.  They are parents of three children: Abraham J., born July 5, 1842; John J., born Jan. 22, 1845; and Ann Maria, born Jan. 7, 1847.  Two, John J. and Ann M., are living, she at home, he near them.  Abraham died Sept. 12, 1871.  Mr. and Mrs. Huffer are hale and active, spending their declining years in the enjoyment of the fruits of the early life.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 729
  Jefferson Twp. -
JOHN HUSSEY, JR
., farmer, Bowersville, a son of Christopher Hussey, and the third of the name, was born Feb. 9, 1842, in this township, where he was reared and educated.  Was married, May 22, 1869, in Miami County, Kansas, to Miss Rosa Beason, a native of Iowa.  They have one child, Laura Estella, born Apr. 23, 1879.  During the rebellion, Mr. Hussey served about three years, enlisting Aug. 11, 1862, and was discharged June 5, 1865.  Was in several heavy battles, among which were Tate's Ferry, Chappel Hill, Stone River, and Chickamauga.  After his arrival home, he remained with his father until February, 1866, when he went to Kansas, and engaged in mercantile pursuits for about two years and a half, after which he returned to this state, where he has since remained.  Has a farm of twenty-seven acres, well improved, upon which he resides.
Source:  History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 841
  Jefferson Twp. -
JOSEPH H. HUSSEY, farmer, Bowersville, is a son of Christopher Hussey, who was the first permanent settler of this township.  He came here in 1806, and located on the farm where our subject with his wife, mother, and a sister Catharine, now live, and where the family of twenty children were born.  Mr. Hussey was twice married.  First, to Margaret Hanghey, by whom he had nine children:  Christopher, Stephen, Thomas, John, Elijah, Mary, Joseph, Nancy, and one who died in infancy.  Of these children four are living.  Christopher, Stephen, Nancy, Joseph, and an infant, deceased.  All were married, except Joseph and the infant.  After Mrs. Hussey's death, he married Miss Catharine Lockart.  Eleven children are the fruits of this union:  Narcissa, Henry M., Lydia, Evaline, James W., Albert, Flora, Joseph, and Catherine, living, and Emaline and an infant, deceased.  Mr. Hussey was born in Tennessee, June 12, 1794, and died March, 1873.  Joseph was born Aug. 31, 1856.  Was married to Anna Hall, of Clinton County, Ohio, Dec. 17, 1879.  He has a farm of one hundred and fifty acres, on which he lives.  This farm is part of a large tract of land formerly owned by his father.
Source:  History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 841
  Sugar Creek Twp. -
ARCHIBALD HUSTON, farmer, deceased, was born near Dayton, in the year 1816, and was a son of John and Margaret Huston.  His early life was passed in his native place, and after attaining his majority came to this county.  Oct. 22, 1835, he was married to Barbara Swigart, daughter of Michael and Sarah Swigart, whose history appears in this work.  They lived for three years after their marriage on her father's place, and in the spring of 1838 came to where his widow and family now reside, and made a permanent home, clearing and improving a farm of one hundred and sixty acres, on which is located one of the best stone quarries in the county.  To them ten children were born, Caroline, Martha E., Sarah E., William, Philena, Eliza J., Anna, Mary C., Harrison, and George W., the latter deceased, who was a member of Company E, Ninety-Fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, enlisting in 1863, serving two years, and passing through a number of engagements, being instantly killed, by a shot through the head, at the battle of Resaca, Georgia, on the 14th day of May, 1864, aged eighteen years.  William was a member of Company D, One Hundred and Fifty-Fourth O. N. G., served his time, and came home uninjured.  Mr. Huston was a member of the Lutheran Church, and departed this life Oct. 11, 1875.  Mrs. Huston was born in 1816, and is also a Lutheran.
Source: History of Greene County, Ohio - Publ. 1881 - Page 651

NOTES:

 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
GREENE COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights