Page XXIII -
This is the extreme western
township of the county, bounded north by Jackson county, east of
Perry township, south by Lawrence County, and west by Lawrence and
Jackson counties. It contains thirty full sections, five north
and south by six east and west. The surface is somewhat hilly,
and the soil is clay and sandy loam; all good grain land.
There is an abundance of iron ore, bituminous coal and limestone in
the hills, which is being quite extensively worked. The
principal timber is oak, hickory, beech and maple.
Symmes creek, the principal stream, enters the northern
part of this township, from Jackson county, runs southwest into
Perry township, thence south through Lawrence county, emptying into
the Ohio river. Dirty Face creek rises in the southeast part
of the township, runs northwest, and empties into Symmes creek.
Grassy fork enters the township from Jackson county, runs southwest
three-quarters of a mile, and empties into Symmes creek. Black
fork also enters from the north, running south about one-half mile,
then east, emptying into Dirty Face.
The first to settle in the township were Daniel
Faulkner, James Rice (who died at the advanced age of one
hundred and twenty years), and Andrew Faulkner. On the
22d of June, 1882, the latter gave an account of his early pioneer
recollections to the one appointed to collect and record them for
this work, and four days later he had "passed beyond the river,"
dying suddenly June 26th, 1882. The pioneers first settled at
the forks of Symmes creek, Daniel Faulkner building the first
cabin, in 1806.
Miss Jennie Faulkner was the first child born in
the township; her parents were Daniel Faulkner, a native of
Ireland, and Nancy (Dunlap) Faulkner, a native of Scotland.
John Kershatt's marriage to Miss Elizabeth Faulkner,
at the house of the bride's parents, was the first in the township.
Among the first of the early settlers, the following
names are given, in addition to those above recorded: Philip
Lambert, Jerry Lambert, John Shelton, John Acord, Hamilton Harper,
John McKenzie, James McMertry, P. Lambert, Vincent Bruce, John
Symmes, George Chapman, Obediah Lee, S. Rose, and Thomas
The township was organized Mar. 20th,
1818; the first election was held at the house of Michael Shaffer,
which then stood one-half mile east of what is now known as Gallia
Furnace, and the number of votes polled was eight. Samuel
Mertry was first elected a justice of the peace, and Ebenezer
A grist-mill, erected in 1822 by Daniel Faulkner,
was the first in the township. It was built of logs, and one
run of stone. In the year 1832 Samuel Hempenstall built
a dam across Symmes creek, upon the Hempenstall farm, and
erected a saw mill, which he run by water. The building was
made of square timber, framed together, and the saw, which was an
upright one, was attached to the same shaft as the water-wheel.
Joseph Price taught a school composed of twenty
scholars, at an early day, in a building which stood upon what is
now known as the James Norman farm. The school house
was made of round logs, and oiled paper was pasted over an opening
for windows. In 1824 was erected the first building for school
purposes, near Center Point, on John Symmes place.
There are now ten comfortably appointed school houses, and the
schools conducted in each are all well attended.
For a number of years after the township was first
settled, the nearest postoffice at which mail could be obtained was
located in Raccoon township. There is now a postoffice
established at Gallia Furnace.
Religious services were first held in a log building,
upon Daniel Faulkner's farm, for which he donated one
acre. A colored Baptist, Rev. James Stuart, was the
first minister, and he is remembered with feelings of respect, as a
thorough Christian, who labored earnestly for the good of the early
settlers. Among the original members were Philip Lambert
and wife, Mrs. C. Shelton, Minerva Crump, Hannah
Shaffer, Michael Shaffer, William Faulkner, Sarah Faulkner, John
Symmes and wife, and Mrs. Obediah Lee.
The second church building was erected
of round logs, and located on Dirty Face creek, by a party of
colored people who came from Tennessee. The third was also a
log building, erected in the lower settlement, near John Symmes
There are now three churches in Greenfield township.
The United Brethren church building is also of logs, and stands upon
the Souder farm, on the Day ridge, about two miles from
Gallia Furnace. Its Calvinistic church is a frame building,
situated on David Davis' farm, on Dirty Face creek.
Claiborn Shelton first established a Sabbath
school in 1833. There are now two union schools established,
one still superintended by Claiborn Shelton.
is situated upon Dirty Face creek. It was
established in 1847, and owned by a stock company which was
organized the same year. Its present officers are John
Campbell, A. L. Norton, and Joseph Stafford.
The company owns 6,000 acres of land,
in which are extensive coal fields, and immense deposits of iron ore
and limestone. Their furnace produces iron suitable for car
wheels and machinery, and their capacity is three thousand tons a
year. The Toledo, Cincinnati & St. Louis Narrow Gauge Railroad
runs through the immense coal fields belonging to the company, which
have a vein of superior iron smelting coal running through them of
four feet in depth. They are preparing to erect a new furnace
of larger capacity at an early day, and intend to engage extensively
in the shipment of stone coal, iron and limestone. Gallia
Furnace is an excellent shipping point, and well located for the
establishment of works for the manufacture of agricultural
implements, which will probably soon be done. The village was
laid out in 1846, and in 1880 had a population of 136.
XXIV - Addison Twp. -
< BACK TO TABLE OF CONTENTS
OF HISTORY OF GALLIA COUNTY, OHIO >