OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

 

Welcome to
Fulton County,
 Ohio

BIOGRAPHIES

Transcribed by Sharon Wick

AB CD EF GH IJ KL MN OP QR ST UV WX YZ

< FOR SOURCE, CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
 

 
CALVIN ACKLEY, Gorham, Fayette p.o., a retired pioneer farmer, was born in Winfield, Herkimer county, N. Y., in 1815, and was a son of Sterling and Lydia (Bronson) Ackley, of Connecticut.  Lydia died in Fairfield county, O., in 1837.  They had a family of nine children, but two of whom are now living, Nancy and Calvin.  Calvin was married in 1837 to Gertrude Walker, who was born in New Jersey.  She died in 1865, leaving a family of five children: Leman, Ellen, Winfield, Edward and Josephine.  He married for his present wife, Ellen Van Arsdalen, in 1868.  She was born in Fairfield county, O.  Mr. Ackley settled in Fairfield county in 1836, and in 1837 he purchased a farm of one hundred acres for which he paid two and one-half dollars per acre.  In 1840 he settled with his family in Mill Creek township, which was then Williams County, but now Gorham, Fulton county, where he now resides.  He purchased one hundred and fifty acres for three hundred dollars in 1842, which he has now cleared and under cultivation.  He was the first postmaster of the town and held that office for several years; was also a justice of the peace and a member of the school board for many years.  He was agent for the Greenland Company for several thousand acres and was one of the active, influential men of the town.  His father resided with him until 1855 when died.  Ellen Ackley married William Acker and Josephine Ackley C. A. Snow.    
Source:  History of Henry & Fulton Cos., Ohio – Publ. 1888 – 643
THEOPHILUS AESCHLIMAN, a well-to-do retired farmer, now living in York Township, and well-known in German Township, comes of one of the old families of the county.
     He is a son of Christian and Fannie (Fry_ Aeschliman who were pioneer residents in German Township.  Christian Aeschliman was born in Switzerland, but his wife was of French birth and ancestry.  They came to America, and for a while lived in Wayne county, Ohio, and eventually entered a tract of government land in German Township, Fulton county.  It was all in timber, and the surroundings were wild.  There was an old log cabin upon the place, and it had evidently been used as a stable, but in that hut Christian Aeschliman and his wife had to make their abode for a while.  He was a typical pioneer, and resolutely applied himself to the great task of clearing his property of timber.  Eventually he owned 160 acres, most of which he cleared, adn upon which he erected adequate out=buildings, and a commodious, comfortable residence.  He died in about 1886, but his wife lived a widowhood of more than twenty years, her death not coming until the fall of 1909.  They were the parents of twelve children: Pollie, now deceased; Katie, deceased; Joel, deceased; Leah, who married David Krepf, and now lives in Schuyler county, Missouri; Jonathan, deceased; Rebecca, now living in Clinton Township, Fulton county; Nathaniel, also of Clinton Township; Levina, who married Andrew Vonier, of Jasper county, Missouri; Theophilus, regarding whom more follows; Emmaline, who now lives in Schuyler county, Missouri; Eli, now a resident in Wauseon, Ohio; and Eliza were twins.
     Theophilus, ninth child of Christian and Fannie (Fry) Aeschliman, was born in German Township, Fulton county, Ohio, on Apr. 17, 1861, and was reared under somewhat primitive conditions that obtained in the township at that time.  He attended the district school, and after leaving school took good part in the work of the home farm.  He was almost twenty-two years old when he married, and for two years thereafter he and his wife lived in the log cabin on his father's property.  During that time he worked for wages, but at the end of two years, he joined his brother Eli in purchasing a farm of eighty acres to the southward of Archbold Village, Fulton county.  The brothers jointly farmed the acreage for four years, and then sold the property to advantage, Theophilus soon afterward going with his wife Schuyler county, of that state.  They were only there for a few weeks, however, and did not purchase a property.  Instead, they returned to Ohio an to Fulton county, taking up residence on the old Aeschliman homestead, in German Township.  Theophilus farmed the property for seven years, and then went to Chesterfield, Ohio, where he purchased a partly improved farm of one hundred acres.  He greatly improved the property during his occupancy of it, bringing all excepting twelve acres under cultivation.  In the fall of 1906 he sold the farm to good advantage, and returned to his native county, buying an improved farm of eighty two situated in section 19 of York Township, upon which property he has since lived.  During the last decade he has made extensive improvements, remodeling the barns and outbuildings.  The dwelling is of brick.  He experienced good success in general farming, and maintained a high degree of productivity, holding steadily to the farm management until 1917, when he decided to take things somewhat less strenuously than he formally had.  He rented the farm to his son, which condition has held to the present, to mutual satisfaction, but he has continued to live on the farm.
     Theolphilus Aeschliman on Apr. 10, 1883, married Fannie Vonier, who was born in France, the daughter of Andrew and Catherine (Guyman) Vonier, who settled in German Township, Fulton county, in about 1872, and continuing to reside there until their deaths.  Mrs. Vonier died Sept. 15, 1884, but Andrw Vonier lived to reach the venerable age of ninety-two years, death not coming to him until 1914.  To Theophilus and Fannie (Vonier) Aeschliman were born five children: Jemima, who married Aaron Klepfonstine of Clinton Township, Fulton county; Mary, who married Henry Richer, of the same township; Enos, a successful farmer, also of Clinton Township; Lucinda, who married Samuel Richer, of York Township, and is cultivating it with good success.
     The Aeschliman family in its three generations of Fulton county residence has appreciably aided in the development of the agricultural land in the county.
Source: Standard History of Fulton County, Ohio - by The Lewis Publishing Company - Chicago & New York - 1920 - Page 206

ANSON MASON ALDRICH, Gorham, Ritters p. o., was a son of David and Freelove (Mason) Aldrich who were born and married in Farmington, Ontario county, N. Y.  They had a family of eight children, four sons and four daughters, four of whom are now living:  George, Anson M. (born Aug. 5, 1820), Harriet and Eliza.  One son, William, enlisted from Illinois, served during the war and died at the close; Angeline (Mrs. James Baker), Laura (Mrs. Phillip Clapp) and Homer are deceased.  David, the father, died in 1859, and his wife in Cayuga county, N. Y&., in 1861.  Anson Mason Aldrich was married in 1847, to Mary Holrook, who was born in Wayne county, N. Y.  They have had a family of three children: Huldah S., William B., Frank G.  Mrs. Aldrich was a daughter of Samuel and Martha Holbrook, who died when Mary  was an infant.  She was brought up by Samuel Paul, of Sodus, N. Y.  Mr. Aldrich settled in Gorham, coming there from Ontario county, N. Y., in 1854, and became engaged in manufacturing lumber.  He erected a steam saw-mill in company with James Baker, and in 1856 purchased his present homestead of eighty acres for which he paid $1,600, and which is now finely improved and well tilled. 
Source:  History of Henry & Fulton Cos., Ohio – Publ. 1888 – 643

  REV. BENJAMIN F. ALDRICH.  As noted elsewhere in the sketch of the Aldrich family of Fulton county, Rev. Benjamin F. Aldrich at the time of his death was pastor of the First Congregational Church of Chicago.  In an official publication of that church devoted to the history of the church and its successive pastorates, his successor in the ministry published a tribute to the character of Dr. Aldrich and particularly his influences and work in the ministry of Chicago, a brief sketch that may appropriately been entered as a part of the records of this history of Fulton County.
     The late Benjamin F. Aldrich, D. D., was born at Wauseon, Ohio, Jan. 29, 1863, and passed to his eternal rest on Sunday evening, Nov. 5, 1916.
     If Dr. Moses Smith (one of the earlier ministers of the First Congregational Church of Chicago) had many of the qualities of St. Peter, and if Doctor Noble (also a predecessor of Doctor Aldrich) reminded one of the apostle Paul, Doctor Aldrich's character and disposition were finely suggestive of the beloved disciple, John, or rather, perhaps, some would say both of John and of his Divine Master.  The foundations of his sturdy and gentle character were laid amid the hardships and simplicities of the old farm life of Ohio, where his mother prayerfully moulded him towards the holy ministry.  Though he studied law and was admitted to the bar, the essential quality of his life was that of a pastor and he gladly resigned the emoluments of the lucrative profession of law in order that the whole tendency of his life might be heavenward and that making the complete oblation he might render a whole-hearted, undivided service to men in the Spirit of Christ.
     Having diligently served in other churches at Ironton, Sault Ste. Marie, Lancing, Pontiac, Ypsilanti, Aurora and Wellington avenue, he brought the fruit of his large natural endowment, varied experience and whole-hearted consecration to the service of "New First" in the heart of the great west side.  He had a genius for friendship, and the time had come when consecrated and unselfish friendship was a gift most needed in this parish.  In some ways he stood in strong contrast to the two men of whom we have been speaking.  While Doctor Smiths preaching had a dogmatic and prophetic flavor, and Doctor Noble's preaching was highly intellectual and strongly individualistic, the heart of Doctor Aldrich ached for this needy wayward and suffering community.  So in its utter simplicity and great practical helpfulness his preaching was a veritable breaking of the Bread of Life to hungry hearers.
     He had a large and sure vision of the place this church should occupy in the midst of a great unchurched community, and with an ardor greater than his strength he threw himself into the splendid task of adjusting this historic and influential congregation to the needs of a modern and sinful city.  Like Timothy he "naturally cared" for men's state.  He well knew the needs of the hungry soul and the perils and pitfalls of the great city.  So in regard to the summer services on the lawn, and in the development of the Union Theological College, which was born in the vestry of this church in the brain of Professor Jernberg and in the heart of Doctor Aldrich also in regard to the potentialities of Carpenter Chapel and Hooker Hall, in the development of our Sunday School work and summer camps, in the whole social life of the church and especially in the intense and practical pastoral work, he caught the vision, followed the gleam, lived on a high plane and at a high tension until he had prematurely worn himself out with unselfish abandonment in the service of Christ, of this church and this community, but not before he had proven himself an efficient, wise, foresighted and great-hearted leader, and had widened and deepened the scope of the ministry of New First Church.
     Slowly he had become an epitome and practical interpreter of that democracy men hear so much about and understand so little because its keynote in service - unselfish service even until death.  He laid down the pathways of service in thsi community which New First will probably follow for many years to come.
     He touched all sorts and conditions of men.  While developing loyal and loving contact with rescue and reclamation agencies, he stood between men and the prison walls, stood between the hungry and want, and was looked up to by hundreds for guidance in their hour of trouble and was beloved by hundreds more who seldom entered the church but were the better for this church and his ministry in it.
     His house was known to all the vagrant train:
     He chid their wanderings, but relieved their pain.
     He loved unselfishly, sympathized with and suffered vicariously with and for those lives he touched and touching lifted toward the crystal purity of his own trustful, hopeful soul.
     And he gave so unstintedly so he grew into mastery and in the subtle power of his appeal to men.  Honors sought him, but he sought them out.
          For other aims his heart had learned to prize.
          More skilled to raise the wretched than to rise.
     He looked out at this multitude scattered abroad and going astray because they had no Shepherd, so he made the pastorate the crown of all his work.  He could not rest while these multitudes were away on the wild mountains of sin.  He longed to see them safe in the fold of the Good Shepherd.  So he went out after them, carried them on his strong shoulders, literally bore their burdens, shared their sorrows and poured out his life's strength for them until one Sunday two short years ago, about the time of the evening sacrifice, God said: "It is enough, come up higher."  Then "God's finger touched him and he slept."
     But the scene in this church when thousands passed his bier with eyes blinded by tears was eloquent of the people's love for the beloved pastor and will never fade from the memories of those who were privileged to be present.  The tablet unveiled now by his son Baldwin bears the legend Psa. 78:22: "So he was their Shepherd according to the integrity of his heart, and guided them by the skillfulness of his hands.
Source: Standard History of Fulton County, Ohio - by The Lewis Publishing Company - Chidago &New York - 1920 - Page 329
MRS. JULIA CARTER ALDRICH.  (JOSEPH D. ALDRICH)  In the history of the Aldrich family of Fulton county is the same old story of three brothers who came from England many years ago.  In writing of Mrs. Julia Carter Aldrich, who is one of the most widely known women in the county, a relative says:  "It often seems unfortunate that we cannot see how important is our task.  To the youth of Fulton county the cultivated fields, the traffic on the network of roads, the great web of telegraph and telephone wires, the steel rails and so many minor things which are so commonplace that in hasty retrospection I do not think of them, are necessities.
     "Seldom do they think of a civilization without them, and when they do, because such life seems quite impossible, they conceive of it as a very hazy past, and yet the generation that built these roads and wrested the fields from a trackless wilderness has but recently completed its task, and there are still many of these runners before of our civilization, their part in the herculean task complete, sitting quietly silent  not knowing that a recital of their labors would hold us in a thrilled attention as absolute as the telling of an Iliad.  Among those early comers was Mrs. Aldrich, who was with her brother, Jabez William Carter, when he was one of the owners of that first Fulton county paper which changed hands so often in its brief existence."
     Mrs. Aldrich says: "In July, 1853, J. W. Carter, of Medina county, Ohio, came to Ottokee and bought the printery but recently established there, and commenced the publication of the Fulton County Union, a business he very much enjoyed, having been connected with a printing office since his boyhood.  He was then twenty-six years old.  He wrote his mother, a widow, his father having died in 1852, to shut up the house and come with the family, Charles, Julia, Julius and Margaret, to Ottokee for the winter.  We arrived early in November and were taken to the Henry Taylor Hotel until our goods arrived (no trains then from Toledo came farther than Whitehouse.).  Our coming happened at the same time as Mr. Aldrich's arrival from New York.  Mrs. Taylor was a very genial, motherly sort of a landlady - made her guest room like a family gathering place.
     "The schoolmaster and editor readily formed acquaintance which soon ripened into friendship, thus bringing Mr. Aldrich to the county seat to spend the week-ends at that home-like hotel.  The courthouse, with its genial, intellectual officials, and the editorial sanctum had an attraction for him,"  and thus began another acquaintance - Joseph D. Aldrich with Julia Carter.
    
In the spring of 1854 Joseph Aldrich was engaged to teach in Spring Hill and Julia Carter in Ottokee.  Her brothers, Charles and Julius Carter, assisted J. W. Carter in the printing office.  John Youngs, still pleasantly remembered by many in Wauseon, was efficient help on the Fulton County Union.  He came from Medina with J. W. Carter when he was seventeen.  His daughter, Nora Youngs, became the wife of Willis, son of Edwin Patterson, of Dover.  "We all liked Ottokee, and as we all had employment none cared to go back to Medina."  The mother went back and sold the place, and returning to Ottokee she bought a home there.
     On October 3, 1854, Joseph D. Aldrich married Julia E. Carter, and they went into a cozy little home of their own in Ottokee.  In 1858 they sold the Ottokee property and bought the Quaker Wright Farm on the north line of Clinton Township.  The Aldrich family still own and love the place where three sons: Amos Eugene, Fred Hampson and Benjamin F. Aldrich, were born, and their father Joseph D. Aldrich, died in 1889, aged sixty-two years.
     The Fulton county Aldrich family is descended from Abel Aldrich, one of the three brothers who came from England.  He married a Miss Tilson and they lived in Providence, Rhode Island.  They had the following children: Tilson, Orrin, Abel, Amos, James, Dorcas, Prudence and Hannah.  The son Amos is the one to whom the Fulton county family owes its existence, and again it is Amos who perpetuates the name in Fulton county.  His son Joseph linked his fortune with Julia Carter, the woman who January 28, 1920, passed her eighty-sixth earthly milestone.  On that day her only son, Fred Hampson Aldrich at Detroit, visited her.
     The files of the Fulton County Union have long ago disappeared, and it is doubtful if a single issue is still in existence.  From a time in the history of Fulton county it was the only voice from the outside world other than the stage driver and the transient guest.  The Fulton County Union was the voice of the community expressing ambitions, its hopes and disappointments.  In every frontier press room there is the nucleus for innumerable romantic tales.  Fulton county was then a frontier, and within the memory of Mrs. Aldrich its farms were small clearings in the primeval forests.  The deer would often come out of the woods and destroy the corn unless speedily driven from the fields; there were few beaten roads and unless one went a-foot he must depend upon his horse; the furniture was med, as was the cabin itself, by the owner , and in all the primitive life Mrs. Aldrich had an active party.
     Mrs. Aldrich was one of the first contributors to the press in Fulton county.  Mr. and Mrs. Aldrich were among the first schoolteachers; they were always interested in working for better schools, better farming and better conditions.  While Mrs. Aldrich has been an occasional contributor to various publications, she also had a volume of verse from her earlier writings, entitled "Hazel Bloom."  She was the Ohio vice president, of the Western Writers' Association, and one of the editors of the National Grange, a paper connecting her with readers all over the place.
     Mrs. Aldrich has survived her husband by so many years that she is the one best known in the community of today.  Her son Amos Eugene married Mary Siebold, who is of German parentage, her ancestry leaving the Fatherland in the exodus of the 'r0s as a protest against despotism.  He died in Wauseon, leaving his wife and the following children:   Ione, Julia Margaret (Madge), John Paul, Joseph Eugene and Donald.  The second son, Hon. Fred H. Aldrich, has lived in Michigan since beginning the practice of law, being circuit judge for many years.  He married Corine Isbell, daughter of Henry and Jane Lemmon IsbellMr. Isbell was born in Connecticut, and was descended from Robert, one of the early settlers in Salem.  The Lemmons originally lived near Baltimore.  The Aldrich children are:  Fred, Compton, May and Corine.  Rev..... Benjamin Frank Aldrich, D. D. Ph. D., married Bertha Yerkes after he left Fulton County.  At the time of his death he was pastor of old First Congregational Church in Chicago.  He had made of this church an unusual center of influence.  His wife survives him, and their children are Benjamin, Margaret, Baldwin, and Julian.  Five grandsons of Mrs. Aldrich, above enumerated, were in the World war, and all returned in safety.
     In a poem entitled " Freedom," Mrs. Aldrich answers the question why she was never a church member, and there is no creed or dogma in her conception of Christianity.  While she gave one son to mechanical pursuits, one to law and one to the ministry, she has found all church work molds itself to her idea of life.  She holds her own judgment unbiased and recognizes good in all things.  All over Fulton county Mrs. Aldrich is regarded as one oracle - a bulwark in the community.
Source: Standard History of Fulton County, Ohio - by The Lewis Publishing Company - Chidago &New York - 1920 - Page 327

ARTHUR ALLEN, Gorham, Fayette p. o., a member of the firm of J. O. Allen & Co., proprietors of the Fayette Roller Mills which were erected in 1858, and now have all the modern improvements and improved mill machinery, was born in Clarkson, Monroe county, N. Y., in 1842, and was a son of Isaac and Mary (Terry) Allen, who were born in Enfield, Conn., married in 1818, and settled in Monroe county, N. Y., where they died, she, in 1876, at the age of sixty-nine years and her husband, Isaac in 1884, at the age of ninety years.  They had a family of ten children:  Chauncy, Isaac, Mrs. Harriet Little, Mrs. Mary Hobbie, Mrs. Julia Aldridge, Mrs. Emily Phillips, Charles L. and Arthur.  Arthur Allen spent a portion of the year 1862 in Fulton County, O., but returned to assist his parents in Monroe county, N. Y.  In 1865 he joined his brother, Charles L., in the mercantile business at Fayette.  The year 1866 he spent in Bloomington, Ill., and in 1867 returned to Fayette where he purchased an interest in the flour mills.  He was married in 1869, to Frances Dubois.  They have had four sons: George, born 1872; Harry, born 1875; Edwin, born 1877; Terry, born 1884, and one daughter, Delle Marie, who died in infancy.  Frances was a daughter of George F. and Amelia (Deming) Dubois.  George was born in Cayuga county, N. Y., and Amelia in Litchfield, Conn.  They settled in Gorham, in 1847.  Mr. Allen has held most of the township offices.  He has been justice of the peace, township clerk for a number of terms and a member of the school board and council.  He is also a member of the firm of Perry & Allen, now engaged in the general hardware business.  
Source:  History of Henry & Fulton Cos., Ohio – Publ. 1888 – Page 643

ARTHUR ALLEN is a retired business man of Fayette, has lived there continuously for over a half century and is a brothers of Mr. Charles L. Allen, also of Fayette, whose individual record will also be found in this publication.
     Arthur Allen was born in Monroe county, New York, Feb. 8, 1842, and was the youngest of the large family of Isaac and Mary (Terry) Allen  He was well educated, attending district schools, the Brockport Collegiate Institute and by a commercial course at Poughkeepsie.  At the age of twenty Mr. Allen left home and went out to Bloomington, Illinois, where he became an employe of the United States Express Company, and part of the time was also located at Springfield and Peoria.  About 1865 Mr. Allen engaged in the merchandise business at Fayette, Ohio, but soon returned to Illinois, and since 1867 has made Fayette hsi permanent home.  He was in the grist and sawmill business here for thirty-one eyars, finally selling out his interests, and has since lived retired in a beautiful modern house at Fayette.
     Mr. Allen also served as mayor of Fayette several terms, ahs held the offices of township clerk, justice of the peace, member of the School Baord, and has always acted with that groups of citizens working for the best interests of the community.  He is a democrat in politics.
     In June, 1869, he married Francis H. DuBois, who was born at Orange in Ashland county, Ohio, a daughter of George and Amelia (Hoadley) DuBois, the former a native of New York and the latter of Connecticut.  Her parents settled in Gorham Township of Fulton county in 1847, living on a farm there.  Mrs. Allen's mother died in 1904, having been born in 1803, and her father died in 1908, having been born in 1814.  Both parents therefore lived to extreme age.  Mr. Allen has four sons, all of whom have made places for themselves in modern industry.  George, the oldest, is a mechanical engineer at Cleveland and is district manager for the Heffenstall Forge Company of Pittsburg.  Harry L., also a mechanical engineer, is with the Bruce- McBeth Engine Works at Cleveland.  Edwin, a graduate civil engineer, is now district manager at Chicago for the Lakewood Engineering Company of Cleveland.  Terry Joe is purchasing agent for the Firestone Steel Products Company of Akron, Ohio.
Source: Standard History of Fulton County, Ohio - by The Lewis Publishing Company - Chicago & New York - 1920 - Page 325
HON. CHARLES L. ALLEN.   This gentleman, who for several years has been filling an enviable career of official life, is a well-known useful member of the Republican party in northwestern Ohio, and is a resident of Fayette, Fulton county.
     A native of New York State, he was born November 16, 1838, in Monroe county, and received his education in part at the public schools of Monroe, in part of the State Normal of that county, later, in 1858, graduating from the Eastman Business College at Rochester, New York.  At the  village of Fayette was known as Gorham, a mere hamlet consisting of one store (Thompson & Caldwell's) and a blacksmith shop.  Here our subject entered this store as a clerk, remaining in that capacity until the fall of 1861, at which time he enlisted in Company K.  Thirty-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, for three years, and resigned in January, 1864, on account of disability, his resignation being accepted.  On the organization of the company he was made second lieutenant, from which he was subsequently promoted to first lieutenant and adjutant, which rank he held up to his resignation.  He then returned to Fayette, and soon afterward embarked in mercantile business there, in which he continued from 1865, to 1877, and for four years thereafter he conducted a produce business in the same locality.  In 1885, he aided in the organization of the Bank of Fayette, of which institution he has been cashier and manager ever since.
     In 1867 Mr. Allen was elected a justice of the peace of Gorham township, the first to hold the office in that township as a Republican, Gorham being at that time Democratic by a majority of fully eighty; and he was reelected three times.  In 1878 he was elected to the Ohio Legislature, on the Republican ticket, to represent Fulton county, and after serving one term (two years)  was, in 1880, re-elected.  During his career in the Legislature he served on the following committees:  Military Affairs; Roads and Highways; and Ditches, Drains and Watercourses.  The bill for the location of the Insane Asylum in Toledo received much of Mr. Allen's attention, and his constituents are loud in their praise of his work in that line.
     Mr. Allen also served for six years on the county board of school examiners of Fulton county, and was postmaster at Fayette for twelve years - 1865 to 1877.  He is usually a delegate to State Republican conventions, and altogether takes an active part in political matters, generally, in the county; in which connection it may be mentioned that he is the only Republican among six brothers in the Allen family.
     In 1865 Charles L. Allen was married to Miss Susan Gamber, a daughter of Henry Gamber, one of the first settlers in this section, who platted the first "lay-out" for the village of Fayette.  She was born in 1847, in New York State, coming to Ohio when a child and was educated in the public schools in Gorham township.  Two children were born to this union; Carrie B., at home; and Elsie E., wife of Doctor Clare Campbell, of Tedrow, Fulton county, Ohio.
     As already intimated, Mr. Allen is a pronounced Republican and cast his first Presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln in 1864.  Socially, he is a charter member of Gorham Lodge, No. 387, F. and A. M., and has filled most of the chairs therein; also is connected with the K. of P. and with Stout Post, No. 108 G. A. R., both of Fayette.  He and his wife are identified with the M. E. Church, and, although non-communicants, give liberally of their means towards its support.
     Isaac Allen, father of our subject, was born, in 1794, in Enfield, Connecticut, and died in New York State in 1884.  He was married in Connecticut to Miss Mary Terry, a native of the same locality, who died in the year 1876.  The father traveled from Connecticut to western New York State on foot, prior to the building of the Erie canal.  He served in the war of 1812.  To this honored pioneer couple were born ten children:  Chauncey, Isaac, Harriet, Mary, Julia, Joseph, Emily, Henry, Charles and Arthur;  of whom Harriet died in 1898 and Emily in 1880.  Henry served during the war of the Rebellion in the One Hundred and Fortieth New York Volunteer Infantry, entering his company as sergeant, and after participating in all the hard-fought battles his regiment was engaged in, returned home with the rank of captain.
Source: Commemorative Biographical Records of Northwestern Ohio, Published at Chicago, by  J. H. Beers & Co. 1899. - Page 337

RELMON D. AMSBAUGH, Gorham, Fayette, p. o., was born in Richland county, in 1855 and was a son of George I. and Lavina (Hopp) Amsbaugh, who were born in Richland county.  Their parents were natives of Pennsylvania.  George settled in Gorham in 1855, as a farmer.  He had a family of five children:  Rissa, Relmon D., Frances L., Cassius O., Jannie D.  George and Lavina were married May 3, 1851.  George was born Oct. 15, 1825, and was a son of Adam and Tenia Amsbaugh, who were from Indiana county, Penn.  Relmon D. was married Mar. 16, 1881, to Estella E. Gay, who was born in Gorham township, in 1858.  They have two children:  Willard Mace and George L.  Estella was a daughter of Willard E. and Adelia (Mace) Gay.  Adelia was born in Onondaga county, N. Y., in 1823, and her husband in Herkimer county, N. Y., Mar. 27, 185.  They were married in 1842.  Mr. Gay settled in Ohio, in 1841 and purchased his farm and was married in Gorham township.  They two children: Theodore L. and Estella E.  Mr. Gay died Dec. 2, 1880, and his wife, June 16, 1883.  Mr. Gay was an influential citizen.  His parents settled in Gorham township in 1839.  His father was born in 1778 and died in 1840, and his mother was born in 1785 and died in 1867.  
Source:  History of Henry & Fulton Cos., Ohio – Publ. 1888 – 644

ADAM ANDRE, Franklin, Tedrow p. o., one of the pioneer of Franklin, Fulton county, was bornin Luzerne county, Penn., in 1815, and was a son of Jacob and Mary (Bridinger) Andre, of Pennsylvania.  They were of German parentage and settled in Seneca county, O., in 1834, with a family of ten children, where the parents died.  Six of the children are now living: Adam, Jacob, Elizabeth, Edward, Susan, and Rebecca.  Those deceased are Catharine, Peter, John and Mary.  Adam settled in Franklin township in 1845 and purchased a farm of eighty acres, for which he paid four hundred and fifty dollars.  He now owns two hundred acres of the best farm land, and one hundred and forty acres of well improved.  He was married in 1848 to Sarah Jane Provines, who died in 1850, leaving one son, Thomas J.  He was married the second time, Aug. 12, 1852, to Laura E. Rogers, of Elmira.  They have had one son, Valorous P.   Mr. Andre has held all of the township offices; was justice of the peace for six years, treasurer, trustee, supervisor, etc.  His brother, Edwin, served in the late war as a first lieutenant.  Mr. Andre is a grower of graded stock and makes a specialty of registered hogs.  He was an early carpenter and builder but now has retired.
Source:  History of Henry & Fulton Cos., Ohio – Publ. 1888 – 644

STEPHEN S. ATKINSON, Dover, Ottokee p.o., superintendent of the county informary, was born in Piscataquis county, Me., in 1824, and was a son of Amos and Dorcas Ann Atkinson, who settled in Medina county, O., in 1841, where they died, Amos in 1884, at the age of ninety-six years.  They had a family of nine children, five of whom are now living:  Stephen S., Amos G., Celia A., Sarah J. and Olive C.  Stephen S. was married in 1853 to Nancy Bachelor, of Milan, Erie county.  They had a family of four children, two of whom are now living:  Mary Jane and Fred Nathaniel.  Mr. Atkinson settled in Fulton county in 1860, came to Swan Creek and served as justice of the peace for one term, and settled in Dover in 1886.   
Source:  History of Henry & Fulton Cos., Ohio – Publ. 1888 – 644

DAVID AYERS, Dover, Tedrow  p.o., one of the pioneers of Dover township, was born in Wayne county, O., in 1828 and settled in Dover in 1836 with his parents, Moses and Elizabeth (Chrisman) Ayers.  Elizabeth was born in Maryland and her husband, Moses, in Pennsylvania.  They were married in Wayne county, O., in 1826, and had a family of seven children:  Solomon C., David, Saphrona, Isabel, Gideon, Isaac and James P.  David and Gideon are the only ones now living.  Solomon C. was a physician and died Jan. 18, 1885, leaving a widow and two children.  Gideon enlisted and served through the war, was wounded in an Indian engagement.  The mother Elizabeth, died in 1855,and Moses died in Lenawee county, Mich., in 1884, at the age of seventy-nine years.  Moses was a justice of the peace for many years and also held other town offices.  His second wife was Altha Southworth.  David Ayres was married in 1858 to Elizabeth Ann Bayes, who was born in Holmes county, in 1835.  They have had three children:  Aylett W., Nettie O. and Merritt.  Elizabeth was a daughter of William and Mary (Tedrow) Bayes.  Mr. Ayers has been county treasurer for years, justice of the peace for seventeen years, town clerk, town treasurer and also held other minor offices.  He is engaged in general farming and now has a farm of two hundred and twenty acres purchased on settlement in 1838, at one dollar twenty five per acre.
Source:  History of Henry & Fulton Cos., Ohio – Publ. 1888 – 644
DAVID AYERS, ESQ.  Among the pioneers of the territory that is now embraced within the boundaries of Fulton county, was the family of Moses Ayers, a former resident of Wayne county, but who came to this locality in the year 1838.  To the older residents of this county the name of Mr. Ayers is well known.  He was a thorough, honest, intelligent and respected farmer and one that contributed his full share in the development of Dover township.  His wife was Elizabeth (Chrisman) Ayres.  They had a family of seven children, five boys and two girls.
     Moses Ayres built a small tannery and conducted it in connection with his farm work for some time.  This event is probably forgotten by many of the old settlers, as it was done some fifty years ago.  AT that time Dover was a wild and uncultivated country, and Indians were more numerous than whites, but they were quite friendly and peaceable.  The old tannery has long since gone to decay,  and the farm is now occupied by David Ayres, who was the second child of this pioneer family.
     David Ayers was born near Shreve, in Wayne county, this State, on the 2d day of April 1828, and, at the time of his father's settlement in this locality, was but ten years of age.  There was no school in Dover at that time, so David, when old enough, was put at work in the tannery, but the damp and unpleasant atmosphere told severely against him, in fact, it was then thought that he had not long to live.  At the age of twenty years he went to Adrian, Mich., and attended school for about six months, after which he entered the Bethany College, in West Virginia.  Here he remained two and one-half years, when his health failed and compelled him to return home.  It should be mentioned that the father of this young man was very generous toward his children, and encouraged them in every industrious effort; he gave them land to cultivate, and a share in the profits of the tannery, and it was from the sale of his share that David acquired means with which to pay for his education.
     In 1853 he went to California, induced to make the journey in the hope of restoring health and strength, and, in part, to acquire a fortune.  The first, and perhaps the most important, of these desires was realized, for his physical strength was recovered, but in the acquisition of a fortune his efforts were not so fully rewarded.  He worked a claim on the Yuba River for one fall season, and at its close was just $500 out of pocket.  He then engaged in shingle making at $9 per thousand, but this price soon declined.  Still later he worked on a farm until the year 1856, when he returned to Fulton county to reside.  Two years later, on the 18th of March, 1858, our subject was married to Elizabeth Anna Bayes, daughter of William W. Bayes, of Clinton township.  Of this marriage three children have been born, all of whom are still living.
     From the time of his return home from the far west to the present day, David Ayers, has been a respected resident of Dover township; but from this time must be excepted the four years of his incumbency of the office of county treasurer, during which he lived at Wauseon.  His farm is one of the best in Dover, and it was here that his parents settled fifty years ago.
     Mr. Ayers is a man of modest, quiet disposition and temperament, yet possessed of firm convictions in political and civil affairs.  He has been, in no sense, a seeker after office, still there are but few, if any, of the offices of the township that he has not filled at the request of his fellow-townsmen; and, in each and every capacity in which he has been elected to serve, the people have had the assurance of the selection of a faithful official, one in whom they had confidence, and one by whom no trust was ever violated.  Such a reputation does David Ayers bear among his townspeople, and throughout the county.  In the year 1871 he was a nominee of the Republican party for the office of county treasurer, and at the polls was elected by a good majority.  His administration of the affairs of this office showed that teh honor was worthily bestowed, and upon its incumbent there was no breath of suspicion.  He proved a faithful public servant, and discharged his duty to the entire satisfaction, not only of his party, but of the people of the whole county.  Upon the expiration of his second term, for he was re-elected in 1873, Mr. Ayres returned to his comfortable farm home where he now resides. 
     In matters pertaining to religion Mr. Ayres is connected with the Christian Church, of which he and his family are members.  He has been frequently chosen for various church offices, and of his means has contributed liberally toward defraying the expenses of building the church edifice, and maintaining the good work of the society. 
Source: Commemorative Biographical Records of Northwestern Ohio including the counties of Defiance, Henry, Williams & Fulton. Published at Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co. 1899 - pgs. 599 & 600

FRANCIS M. BARNES, Clinton, Wauseon p. o., a veteran soldier, was born in Holmes county, in 1843, and enlisted in Company F, 68th Ohio, in 1861, under Colonel Steadman, served for three years and one month.  HE was wounded and discharged and receives a pension for injuries received.  He was married in 1863 to Nancy F. Ditto.  They have had a family of six children: Clara Etta, Jennie O., Minnie M., Mary C. F., Carrie E. and Emma Gertrude.  Nancy F.  They had a family of ten children, nine of whom are now living.  Francis M. Barnes was a son of Leonard P. and Mary Ann (Day) Barnes who were born in Harrisburgh, Penn., and settled in Clinton township, Fulton County, O., in 1849.  Leonard P. died in 1880.  They had a family of twelve children, nine of whom are now living.  Three of the sons enlisted and served in the late war of the Rebellion.  They were W. C., Oliver P. and Frances M. 
Source:  History of Henry & Fulton Cos., Ohio – Publ. 1888 – 645

W. C. BARNES, Clinton, Wauseon p. o., was born in Holmes county in 1838, and settled in Fulton county with his parents, Leonard and Mary Ann (Day) Barnes, who were born and married in Harrisburgh, Penn., and settled in Holmes county in 1846.  They had a family of twelve children, nine of whom are now living.  Leonard died in1880.  Three of his sons enlisted and served in the War of the Rebellion.  W. C. enlisted in the 14th Ohio Regiment, in 1861 and served for five months.  At the end of that time he was discharged and enrolled in the home guards, furnished a substitute for the one hundred day call.  He was married in 1862 to Mary Jane Scott.  They had a family of three children: Henry A., Anna B. and Jennie D.  Mary Jane was a daughter of Henry and Amy (Graham) Scott, who were early settlers in Clinton, Fulton county, O.  Leonard Barnes purchased his first homestead of eighty acres, for four hundred dollars.  His son, W. C. new resides on this old homestead of eighty acres, for four hundred dollars.  His son, W. G., now resides on the old homestead.   
Source:  History of Henry & Fulton Cos., Ohio – Publ. 1888 – 645

JACOB BARTLETT
     Jacob Bartlett, farmer, post office, Wauseon, Fulton County, Ohio
Source: Commemorative Biographical Records of Northwestern Ohio including the counties of Defiance, Henry, Williams & Fulton. Published at Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co. 1899)

ELLIOTT BAYES, Clinton, Wauseon p.o., a pioneer, was born in Clinton township in 1840 and was a son of William T. and Mary (Tedrow) Bayes, who were born in Somerset county, Penn., and married in Holmes county, O., and settled in Clinton, Fulton county, in 1837, with one daughter, Elizabeth.  They had a family of eight children, seven of whom are now living: Elizabeth A., Jane, Elliott, Isaac F., Meek, Mary and Melissa.  Two of the sons, Elliott, and Isaac F., enlisted.  Mary died in 1869 aged fifty-four years and William W. died in 1885 aged seventy-six years.  William W. purchased farms from the government, one of 160 acres, he paid $1.50 per acre.  He owned 240 acres in all.  William W.’s father, was Thomas, who settled in Clinton and was a justice of the peace and also held other minor offices.  William was a prominent and influential man, very active in all church affairs, services being held in his house until they could find larger quarters.  The town elections were also held at his log house for several years, such was the public spirit of the man.  Elliott Bayes was married in 1871 to Frances M. Bayes, a daughter of Squire William and Nancy A. (Krutzer) Fraker, of Clinton township.  They have a family of four children: Nellie Inez, Harry M., Blaine G. and Mamie.  Mr. Bayes has a farm of 85 acres and owns a part of the old homestead farm.  He enlisted in the 130th Ohio Regiment on the one hundred days call and served for five months, at the end of which time his regiment was discharged. 
Source:  History of Henry & Fulton Cos., Ohio – Publ. 1888 – 646

STEPHEN BAYES, Clinton, Wauseon p.o., an early settler in Clinton township, was born in Holmes county, in 1829, and was a son of James Wright and Elizabeth (Zeigler) Bayes.  Elizabeth was born in Cumberland county and her husband in Somerset county, Penn.  They were married in Holmes county in 1828, and with a family of five children settled in Clinton in 1844.  They had eight children in all, six of whom are now living:  Stephen, Harriet, Sarah S., Parker, Margaret and Philip.  James died in 1886 at the age of seventy-nine years, and his wife, Elizabeth, died the same year aged seventy-one years.  James was township treasurer and also held other minor offices.  He purchased his farm of 160 acres on settlement for $1.25 per acre, and Stephen now occupies 110 acres of the same, and which is one of the best farms in the county.  Stephen  was married in 1858 to Margaret Pocock who died in 1868 leaving a family of three children: James A., Cora and Carrie.  He married his second wife, Mrs. Phebe (Cornell) Teadrow in 1867.  They have had two children, Elizabeth M. and Eliza Jane.  Phebe had by her first husband, Mr. Tedrow, two sons, Myron B. and Reasin L.  The grandfather, John Bayes, died in Holmes county; he was born in Somerset county, Penn. 
Source:  History of Henry & Fulton Cos., Ohio – Publ. 1888 – 646

HENRY BECHSTEIN.  While Henry Bechstein was born in Swan Creek Township in Jan., 1862, his parents were immigrants from Germany.  He is a son of Jacob and Anna (Goodlock) Bechstein  The father was born in 1833 in Germany, but when he was about twenty years old he immigrated to America.  When he first came to the United States he worked in a clay pit in Pennsylvania.  Later he worked eight years in Erie county, Ohio, where he married and in 1858he bought a farm and removed to Swan Creek Township.
     In 1888 Henry Beckstein married Ella Biddle, a daughter of Henry and Hannah Biddle.  There is one daughter, Florence, the wife of H. T. Krauss, of Swan Creek.  Another daughter, Bertha, died in childhood  The wife died in 1897, and Mr. Beckstein married again in 1899.  The second wife was Emma Wilhelm, a daughter of David Wilhelm of Seneca county, Ohio.  From this marriage there is one daughter, Carmen.
    
For two years Mr. Bechstein lived on rented land, then he bought thirty acres in the brush and cleared it all but two acres, and from time to time he has added to the farm until he now has 100 acres, thirty-four acres still in timber.  Mr. Beckstein has good farm buildings, making all the improvements himself.  For a number of years he worked as a carpenter, and for eight years he did mason and cement work.  In politics he is a democrat.  He has served the community as road supervisor, and the family in identified with the Christian Union Church.
     The outstanding facts in the career of Mr. Beckstein are the industry and perseverance that enabled him to perform the heavy work of clearing up new land in Fulton county, making a fine farm, and, nevertheless, finding time to serve his community in behalf of its good roads and other matters connected with the general welfare.
Source: Standard History of Fulton County, Ohio - by The Lewis Publishing Company - Chicago & New York - 1920 - Page 325
\\
JACOB BECHSTEIN Having spent all his mature years in general farming & stockraising industries, Jacob Bechstein of Swan Creek Twp. Is an authority on agricultural matters. He was born in his present Twp in October 1872, a son of Jacob & Anna (Goodlock) Bechstein, natives of Germany, who came a different times to the Unites States & located in Erie County, Ohio, where they became acquainted & were married. In 1862 they came to Fulton County & bought 80 acres of unimproved timberland in Swan Creek Twp, which they developed into a valuable farm & also became the owners of another 80 acre farm. Their children were as follows: Henry, who is a farmer of Swan Creek Twp; Ida, who is Mrs. John Reiber, of Wood County, Ohio; Mary, who is Mrs. John Evans, of Swan Creek Twp; John, who is a resident of Delta; Anna, who is Mrs. Henry Wenig, of Wood County, Ohio; Lucy, who is Mrs. Edward Smith, of Wood County, Ohio; Jacob, whose name heads this review; & Altha, who is Mrs Martin Andrews, of Swan Creek Twp.
     Growing up in his native Twp, Jacob Bechstein learned to be a practical farmer while he was attending the District Schools, in them securing a knowledge of the fundamentals of an education. In October 1897, he was married to Clara Havens, born in Pike Twp, a daughter of George & Amelia (Steadman) Havens, natives of New York & Amboy Twp, Fulton County. Her grandparents, Alva & Thankful (Roger) Steadman, were early settlers of Amboy Twp. For 13 years after his marriage Mr. Bechstein conducted his father’s farm, & then bought 110 acres of Section 5, Swan Creek Twp, of which 60 acres are under cultivation, the balance being in pasture & woodland. Here he is carrying on a general farming & stockraising business & is making a success of his undertaking.
     Mr. & Mrs. Bechstein have had the following children born to them: Marion J., who is a resident of Fulton County; & Henry, George Herbert, Earl V, Gertrude Margaret, & Neola Fern, all of whom are at home. In politics Mr. Bechstein is a strong Democrat. He is an attendant on the services of the Christian Union Church of his neighborhood, but is not a member of any religious body. A hard working man, he has steadily advanced through his own efforts & deserves his present measure of prosperity.
Source: Standard History of Fulton County, Ohio - by The Lewis Publishing Company - Chicago & New York - 1920 - Page 557
Contributed By: Frank H. Rieghard
5
JOHN M BECHSTEIN Having spent all his mature years in general farming & stockraising industries, John M. Bechstein of York Twp. Is an authority on agricultural matters. His home is at 313 Wood Street in Delta, & he has achieved his present comfortable circumstances through a life of earnest effort & industry.  He was born in his present Twp in February 1869, a son of Jacob & Anna (Goodlock) Bechstein, natives of Germany, who came a different times to the Unites States & located in Erie County, Ohio, where they became acquainted & were married. In 1862 they came to Fulton County & bought 80 acres of unimproved timberland in Swan Creek Twp, which they developed into a valuable farm. Their children were as follows: Henry, who is a farmer of Swan Creek Twp; Ida, who is Mrs. John Reiber, of Wood County, Ohio; Mary, who is Mrs. John Evans, of Swan Creek Twp; John, whose name heads this review; Anna, who is Mrs. Henry Wenig, of Wood County, Ohio; Lucy, who is Mrs. Edward Smith, of Wood County, Ohio; Jacob, a farmer of Swan Creek Twp; & Altha, who is Mrs. Martin Andrews, of Swan Creek Twp.
     Growing up in his native Twp, John M. Bechstein learned to be a practical farmer while he was attending the District Schools, in them securing a knowledge of the fundamentals of an education. He married at the age of 25 & for a quarter of a century has been busy performing his duties as a provider of home & other advantages for his family & discharging the duties of good citizenship. December 25 1894, he married Martha Prentiss, daughter of Jacob & Melissa (Joy) Prentiss. Her parents were natives of Ohio. Mr. & Mrs. Bechstein have 2 children, Helene & Doris E. Source: Standard History of Fulton County, Ohio - by The Lewis Publishing Company - Chicago & New York - 1920 - Page 519
Contributed By: Frank H. Rieghard

JOHN H. BEILHARZ, Gorham, Fayette p. o., was born in Wurtemburg, Germany, in 1835, and was a son of Tobias and Agatha (Smith) Bielharz, who emigrated to America in 1846, and settled in Fulton county, which was then Williams.  They had a family of seven children, six of whom are now living: Barbara, Margaret, Christina, John H., Eva and John H., was born in Fulton county.  They buried two sons at sea.  They were seventy-five days making the voyage over on the sailing vessel, and nine deaths occurred on board.  John H. was married in 1863, to Amanda Kingery, who was born in Indiana, in 1843.  They have had a family of three children:  James I., Ninia Eva, and William T.  Amanda wa a daughter of John H. Kingery.  James I. graduated from the commercial college, and Ninia E., is a student at the Normal School.  Tobias died in 1881 and his wife, Agatha, in 1882.  John H. now resides on the old homestead farm of sixty acres, which was purchased in 1856, at which time they paid $5 per acre for it. 
Source:  History of Henry & Fulton Cos., Ohio – Publ. 1888 – 647

EUGENE A. BELDING, Gorham, Fayette p.o., was born in Gorham township, in 1854, and was a son of William B. and Althea W. (Cottrell) Belding.  She was born in Hampshire county, Mass., and settled with her parents in Gorham township, in 1835.  She wa a daughter of Gorham and Althea (Whitmarsh) Cottrell, who were married in 1810.  They had a family of eight children.  William B. was born in Massachusetts, and was a son of Amos and Marion (Fuller) Belding, who were early settlers in Gorham, where Amos and his wife died.  They had a family of eleven children, five of whom are now living: Charlotte, Arthur W., Decatur, Mortimer, Benjamin F.  William B. was married in 1853 to Miss Cottrell, who died in 1857, leaving two children, Eugene A. and Florence I., now Mrs. Miller.  William B. settled in Gorham, in 1846, and died in 1878, leaving a widow by a second marriage.  Eugene A. was married in 1874, to Melissa M. Sweatland, who was born in 1854.  They have had four children: Althea M., Leola E., Rial B., and Arlo V.  Eugene A. now owns and occupies a part of the old homestead of 40 acres, which was purchased in 1864.  They purchased a farm of thirty acres in 1846.  Melissa was a daughter of Rial and Harriet Sweatland, early settlers. 
Source:  History of Henry & Fulton Cos., Ohio

JOHN H. BENIEN, Oklona p.o., a general merchant, graindealer and shipper and engaged in farming at Okolona, was born in Hanover, Germany in 1842.  He emigrated to America in 1860, and settled in Henry county, where he became engaged in teaching, having graduated in Germany.  In 1869 he took charge of the Okolona  post-office, also was appointed agent of the Wabash Railroad and the U. S. Express Company at the same place, in connection with the general store business.  Complying with the demands of the citizens, he also built a steam elevator of 12,000 bushels capacity, which is as yet in full blast under his management. 
Source:  History of Henry & Fulton Cos., Ohio

BENJAMIN BIDDLE, Wauseon, Wauseon p.o., a general hardware merchant and dealer in farm tools and machinery; was born in Wayne county, O., in 1840; and was a son of George and Nancy (Biddle) Lawrence, who were born in Pennsylvania, and married in Wayne county, O.  They settled in Fulton county, in 1861, and in 1865 went to Clinton township, where George died in 1877, leaving a widow and eight children:  Henry, Benjamin, Jacob, John, George W., Nancy, Rachel and Mary E.  Benjamin was married in 1863 to Hester A. Trobridge, of Delta.  They had a family of three children, two of whom are now living: Cora and Harry.  Mr. Biddle served two terms as councilman.  He settled in Wauseon in 1879, and became engaged in the hardware business in 1881.  He was engaged in the mercantile business in Cleveland in 1867 and 1868, and in farming from 1869 to 1880. 
Source:  History of Henry & Fulton Cos., Ohio

FLETCHER J. BISHOP, Chesterfield, Morenci, Mich. p.o., was born in Northumberland county, Pa., in1837, and was a son of Cornelius and Catharine (Jones) Bishop.  They had a family of ten children, four of whom are now living: William, Jeanette (now Mrs. Mansfield) Fletcher J., Cordelia (Mrs. Baldwin).  Catharine died Jan. 3, 1851.  Fletcher enlisted in Co. H, 3d Ohio Cavalry, in 1861, under Colonel Zan, and served three years and six months.  He was married Aug. 22, 1865, to Julia A. Smith, who was born in Suffolk county, N. Y., in 1842.  They have had a family of seven children: Arthur C., William H., Charles F., Birton J., Blanch S., Ralph C., Ernest E.  Julia A. was a daughter of Henry L. and Eunice W. Smith, of New Jersey.  Henry L. died in 1865, leaving a widow and nine children.  Mr. Bishop purchased his present homestead farm of 164 acres for which he paid $40 per acre, and has erected a fine residence and farm buildings thereon. 
Source:  History of Henry & Fulton Cos., Ohio

FRANK G. BLACKMAN, Clinton, Wauseon p.o., was born in Adrian, Mich., in 1847, and was a son of Demmon and Jane (Shepard) Blackman, of Connecticut, who settled in Michigan, where they died, leaving a family of six children: Luther, Mary, Electa, Wilbur, Emma, and Frank G.  Frank G. Blackman was married in 1881 to Mary Woodward, who was born in Liberty township.  They have had two children, Wave and June.  Mr. Blackman acquired the photographer’s art and became engaged in the business, settling in Wauseon in 1879, where he opened his art gallery. 
Source:  History of Henry & Fulton Cos., Ohio

ANGELO W. BLAKE, Clinton, Wauseon p.o., was born in Portage county, O., in 1836, and was a son of Orrin and Caroline (Thomas) Blake, who were married in Connecticut, and settled in Portage county, in 1826.  Orrin was born in 1802, and Caroline was born in 18__, and died in 1846, leaving a family of six children.  Orrin on settlement here purchased a farm of 160 acres, and in 1859 Angelo W. Blake settled in Clinton township on 80 acres of the tract, and which is now one of the pleasant home farms in the county, being well improved and having fine farm buildings.  He was married in 1861 in Esther Goodrich, who was born in Lenawee county, in 1840.  They have had four children: Adah, Hudson, Alice and Ella.
Source:  History of Henry & Fulton Cos., Ohio – Publ. 1888 – 648

WILLIAM BORTON is the owner of a well-improved farm of one hundred and sixty acres, in Franklin township, and is one of the representative citizens of this section of the county.  He was born in Brady township, Williams county, Ohio, on the 27th of August, 1842, and is a son of John and Elizabeth A. (Taylor) Borton, the former of whom was born in Burlington county, N. J., on the 4th of Sept., 1820, and the latter was born December 7, 1816.  The death of the father occurred on the 12th of July, 1899, his wife having passed away July 5, 1887.  John Borton came to what is now Fulton county, Ohio, in 1835, and took up eighty acres of heavily timbered land, in section 36, in the eastern part of Franklin township, purchasing the land from the government for a consideration of one dollar and twenty-five cents an acre.  He was one of a company of thirteen colonists who came at that time to establish homes in this section.  He was a son of Bauthuel and Rebecca (Clifton) Borton; both of whom were born in New Jersey, where the respective families were early founded, and there the former was engaged in farming, devoting special attention to the raising of peppermint, continuing resident of that section until his death.  His wife later came to Ohio, passing the closing days of her life in Fulton county.  She became the mother of six sons and four daughters, all of the sons having come to Ohio and all being deceased as are also the daughters.  The remains of the six sons rest in the burying ground of the Society of Friends in Franklin township.  After John Borton had selected his land and prepared a dwelling of the primitive pioneer type he returned to New Jersey, where soon afterward was solemnized his marriage to Miss Elizabeth A. Taylor, of Burlington county, that state, with whom he made the long overland trip to the new home in the wilds of Fulton county, the journey being made with team and wagon.  His first trip was made on foot, and twice afterward he journeyed through by walking.  Upon locating on his eighty acres he initiated the work of reclaiming the place to cultivation, developing a valuable farm and becoming one of the leading breeders of cattle, sheep and hogs of fine grade in this section, having been the first to introduce the Chester-White swine in this locality, while later he became an extensive breeder of the Poland China type.  It may be noted in an incidental way that his farm was in Williams county until the organization of Fulton county, in 1850, when Franklin township was included in the new county.  He was a man of much initiative and of very progressive ideas, and as a stock-grower attained a considerable reputation, often paying high prices for fancy stock which attracted his admiration.  He finally sold his farm and moved to Brady township, Williams county, in 1841, there continuing engaged in agricultural pursuits until his death.  He and his faithful and devoted wife became the parents of ten children, concerning whom the following brief record is entered:  Susanna is the wife of Elwood Tule, of West Unity, Williams county; William, of this sketch, was the next in order of birth; John T. is a resident of Ithaca, Gratiot county, Mich.; Martha Ann is the wife of Nathaniel Lyons, of West Unity; Reuben is deceased; Sarah C. is the wife of David Crozer, of West Unity; Job is deceased; Elizabeth is the wife of George Pancost, of West Unity; Rebecca is the wife of a Mr. Hutchinson, of West Unity; and Mary Lydia is the wife of John Mason, of that place.  William Borton passed his boyhood days on the homestead place, in Brady township, Williams county, where his early educational advantages were those afforded in the pioneer schools.  He assisted his father in his farming and lumbering operations until Jan. 1, 1863, when he initiated his independent career, a few months before attaining his legal majority.  He rented a farm for a time and in 1867 he purchased his present homestead, upon which he has made the best of improvements, as the passing years have crowned his efforts with increasing prosperity, and he has made the place one of the model farms of Franklin township.  He devotes his attention to diversified agriculture and to the propagating of peppermint, from which he derives a good return, the crop being one which has been cultivated by at least four generations of the family, as his grandfather made a specialty of selling this product in the markets of Philadelphia, raising the mint on his farm, in the neighboring state of New Jersey.  Mr. Borton has never been a seeker of public office.  He is affiliated with the Masonic order.  On New Year's day of the year 1863 was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Borton to Miss Regina Oliver, who was born in Morrow county, Ohio, being a daughter of Nathan and Sarah (Carmichael) Oliver, who came to Fulton county in 1846, when she was five years of age.  The father died in Northwest township, Williams county, where he developed a good farm, and his wife, surviving him by a number of years died in Hillsdale county, Mich.  She was born in Ohio and her husband was a native of Greenbrier county, Va.  They became the parents of five children, of whom three are living.  Mr. and Mrs. Borton have five children: Ada  is the wife of Sherman N. Ely, of Toledo; Charles L., a resident of Clear Lake, Ind., married Miss Bertha Baker of Ransom, Hillsdale county, Mich., and they have three children - Ruth, Allen and Dorothy; Sarah Elizabeth the wife of Verne Humphrey, of Fayette, Fulton county; John Nathan, who is associated with his father in the operation of the home farm, married Miss Cora Hibbard, of Gorham township, and they have three children, - Vernon, Vera, and Irene; Arthur William the youngest of the children, is a member of the United States navy and is now serving on the new battleship, "Maine."
Source 4 - Page 645
LEANDER BUXTON.   This truly representative citizen of Fulton county a scientific farmer, a man of marked individuality and wide experience, has for several years made his home in Section 3, Town 10 S., Range 1 E., Franklin township.
     A native of Ohio, Mr. Buxton was born October 1, 1842, in Knox county, a son of John and Elizabeth (Todd) Buxton, both natives of Maryland, the father born in June, 1804, the mother on September 4, 1803.  When John was a boy his father moved the family from Maryland to Coshocton county, Ohio, where they became pioneer settlers:  Sons- Alvin, Francis, John William, Noah and Thomas; daughters - Susan and Mary - all now deceased.  The mother of these died in Knox county, in 1858.
     John and Elizabeth (Todd) Buxton were married in 1825, in Coshocton county, and had a family of eleven children, to-wit: (1) Francis married Rosana Pearson, and they live in Knox county, Ohio, where he follows agricultural pursuits; they have two children, Rev. E. O. Buxton, of Cincinnati, being one of them.  (2) Rebecca Ellen is the deceased wife of S. A. Larason, of Delaware, Ohio; she left five children - John (since deceased), Enseba M. (wife of a Mr. Parsons), of Delaware, Ohio; Almira E. (also married) is an old school teacher; Alfred A. is also married; Sarah Ellen is a school teacher; and Edward (married) makes his home in Xenia, Ohio.  (3) Sarah Ann married Jacob Long, late of Knox county, now deceased; she lives in Kansas; children - John, Noah W., Benjamin, Newton and Almira.  (4) Noah W. married (first) a Mrs. Butler, by whom he had two sons - Dr. John Butler, of Homer, Licking county, Ohio; and James, a resident of Mt. Vernon; by his second marriage, with Miss Candis Buxton, Noah W. had four children - William, Ollis, Mary (deceased) and Gertrude.  (5) Mary Jane wedded a Mr. Frazier.  (6) Minerva is deceased.  (7) John W. (Rev.) is a minister of the Gospel at Yuba City, California.  (8) Louisa married (first) a Mr. Montour, and (second) Erastus Bell, of Xenia.   (9) Thomas W. lives in Utica, Ohio.  (1) Leander is our subject.  (11) Elizabeth (twin of Leander) died in infancy.  The father of this family is his younger days was a blacksmith by trade, later following farming in Knox county, Ohio, where he settled in 1839.  He was ordained a minister of the M. E. Church, and preached on Sundays, the rest of the week being devoted to labor.  Politically he was first a Whit, later a Republican.
     Leander Buxton received his education in Knox county, Ohio, and at the age of sixteen commenced life for his own account, working on farms at thirteen dollars per month.  After his marriage (which will presently be referred to) he and his wife located temporarily on a farm in Knox county, thence moving to Morrow county, where he enlisted, in 1863, in Company G, One Hundred and Thirty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, one of the regiments that did guard duty near Washington.  At the close of the war, in 1865, Mr. and Mrs. Buxton settled on their present farm in Franklin township, Fulton county, which he cleared and improved with good substantial buildings.  He now owns ninety acres, having sold eighty.
     On Christmas Day, 1861, Leander Buxton was united in marriage with Miss Mary J. Brown, a native of Knox county, Ohio, born in 1837, a daughter of Jonathan and Mary (Larison) Brown, highly respectable farming people of Knox county, both now deceased.  To our subject and his wife have been born three children, a brief record of them being as follows:  (1) Florence A., born July 18, 1862, was married to Rev. D. L. Woods of Ohio, and they have two children - Homer E. and David Elmer.  (2) Xalia A. married Robert R. Johnson, of Detroit, Michigan; have one son - Harvey Leroy.  (3) Elmer E. wedded Rhoda Prickett, and they have two children - Henry Leland and Florence; they live in Detroit, Michigan.
     In his political preferences our subject is a Republican, has served in various township offices; was a justice of the peace some eighteen years; and in 1896 was elected county commissioner for a three-years' term.  Socially he is affiliated with the K. of P. and G. A. R.  In religious faith he and his wife are members of the Baptist Church, and they rank among the leading and most influential citizens of Fulton county.
Source: Commemorative Biographical Records of Northwestern Ohio including the counties of Defiance, Henry, Williams & Fulton. Published at Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co. 1899)
 
 
.
.
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
FULTON COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights