OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS


 

WELCOME TO
Fairfield County, Ohio

 


BIOGRAPHIES

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
HENRY BALTHASER.  Like many of the valued citizens of Fairfield county, Henry Balthaser came to Ohio from Pennsylvania, taking up his abode in Fairfield county at an early day.  He now resides in Clear Creek township, where he owns and occupies ninety-one acres of rich farm land just south of the village of Amanda.  He was born in Berks county, Pennsylvania, October 13, 1832, and is a representative of one of the old families of that locality.  His paternal grandfather, Henry Balthaser, lived and died in Berks county, being a well known farmer and prominent man there.
     The father of the subject, Henry Balthaser, was born in Berks county, learning the carpenter's trade and following that vocation throughout his residence of Pennsylvania, and after coming to Fairfield county he engaged in the operation of a sawmill and also devoted a portion of his time to agricultural pursuits.  For a number of years he continued the manufacture of lumber.  He put all of the improvements upon his farm and there made a good home for himself and family, living at that place until his death, which occurred when he was eighty-two years of age.  He passed away on the anniversary of his birth, which occurred on the 22d of January, 1803.  He held membership in the Lutheran church and his life was permeated by honorable principles and Christian teachings.  In politics he was a Democrat but he never aspired to office, preferring that his attention should be given to his business interests, in which he prospered.  He was an advocate of all that tended to improve the community along social, intellectual and moral lines.  His worth as a citizen was widely recognized.  He married Sarah Warner, who was also born in Berks county, Pennsylvania, and there lived until coming to Ohio with her husband.  Both were members of the Lutheran church.  Mrs. Balthaser survived her husband but a short time, passing away on the old homestead, June 25, 1886.  She was the mother of eight children, five of whom are now living, the subject of this review being the second in order of birth.
     In taking up the personal history of Henry Balthaser, whose name introduces this record, we present to our readers the life record of one who is widely and favorably known.  He has always lived upon the home farm in Clear Creek township and many of the improvements there are the visible evidence of his life of industry and earnest toil.  H has erected a new and modern residence which is an attractive feature in the landscape and other equipments upon the farm have been secured through his efforts.  He has always engaged in the cultivation of the soil and to some extent has carried on stock raising and as the years have passed his labors have annually added something to his income until now he is one of the substantial and well-to-do citizens of the community.
     In 1857 Mr. Balthaser was united in marriage to Miss Susanna Kessler, who was born in Pickaway county, Ohio, a daughter of Michael and Eliza Ann (Shabbel) Kessler.  Her father was a carpenter by trade, and removing to Clear Creek township, Fairfield county, carried on work along that line for a number of years.  He afterward became a resident of Illinois where he died at an advanced age.  Unto Mr. and Mrs. Balthaser have been born twelve children, of whom eleven are now living.  Theodore, who resides in Amanda, was employed as engineer in the grain elevator.  He married Nettie Crites, and their children are - Ollie, Eva, and Adolph.  Elizabeth is the wife of David Barr, a farmer of Amanda township and they have two children - Bertie and Mary.  Peter resides in Columbus, Ohio, where he is employed as a street car conductor.  He married Effie Griffith and they have five children - Rome, Merril, Ruth, May and Fred.  Joseph resides in Amanda township where he follows farming.  He wedded Etta WeimerElla  is the wife of John Sultz, a resident farmer of Fairfield county.  Annie is the wife of John Campbell, of Madison township, and they have one son, RaymondFrank is employed on the farm of Mr. Campbell.  He married Mattie Hamby, who died two years ago.  Charles resides in Amanda, Ohio, and is operating the home farm for his father.  He married Ella ShaefferChancy resides in Amanda township and is employed on the railroad.  He married Anna Thomas.  Harry  is living at home.  Welby is a minister the United Brethren church, now located in Athens county, Ohio.  He wedded Miss Dixon.  Fanny died at the age of nineteen years.  All of the children were born in Clear Creek township and educated in the schools here.  The family is one of prominence in the community, the various members occupying creditable positions and in social circles, enjoying high regard by reason of their sterling worth.  From the age of six years down to the present time Henry Balthaser has made his home in Fairfield county and the history of pioneer life is therefore familiar to him through actual experience, and as the years have passed, as a valued citizen he has borne his part in the work of public progress and improvement.  His labors too in the business world have been effective and have brought to him creditable process, making him one of he prosperous and well-to-do farmer of Clear Creek township.
(Source: Biographical Record of Fairfield & Perry Counties, Ohio - 1902)
JASPER J. BARNETT, who is living a retired lie, has in former years been actively associated with agricultural and mercantile interests in Fairfield county, and was also numbered among the soldiers that Ohio sent to the front at the time of the Civil war.  He was born in Madison township, Perry county, Ohio, April 28, 1833, and is a son of Solomon and Nancy (Upton) Barnett.  The father was born in Washington county, Maryland, and the mother was also a native of that locality.  After arriving at years of maturity they were married and soon afterward came to Ohio, settling on a farm in Perry county, where they were numbered among the prosperous agriculturists of the community.  In 1844 they removed to Clear Creek township, Fairfield county, where the father spent his remaining days, passing away there in 1875.  His wife survived him and afterward removed to the village of Amanda, taking up her residence with our subject, where she died in 1884.  In the family were eight children.  The following reached years of maturity:  Jemima, Margaret, Jasper J., Jane, Robert and Lewis.  In his political affiliations the father was a Democrat and both he and his wife belonged to the Methodist Episcopal church.
     Jasper J. Barnett spent the first twelve years of his life on the home farm in Perry county and during that period attended the district schools, while later he continued his education in the public schools of Drinkle and in Kingston Academy, of Kingston, Ohio.  He then began teaching in the public schools and followed that profession for fourteen years, proving his capability as an educator by the clear and ready manner in which he imparted to others the knowledge he had acquired and by the way in which he maintained discipline.  On abandoning that profession, he turned his attention to farming.  In May, 1864, he enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Fifty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, under the command of Captain E. Griffith.  Soon afterward Mr. Barnett was commissioned first lieutenant and was ordered to Baltimore, Maryland, where he did garrison duty for one hundred days, at the expiration of which period he received an honorable discharge in September, 1864.
     Returning to Fairfield County, Mr. Barnett engaged in farming and stock raising and also devoted his attention to school teaching for two years.  In 1867 he purchased his father's old homestead, thus becoming the owner of two hundred acres of land, to the further development and cultivation of which he devoted his energies with untiring activity until 1882.  His labors made his place one of the desirable farms of the county, his enterprise and capable management being manifest in the neat and thrifty appearance of the farm.  At length he put aside business cares and in 1882 removed to the village of Amanda, where he established a harness store, but later he disposed of that enterprise and is now living retired.
     It was in the year 1865 that Mr. Barnett was united in marriage to Miss Mary Bussard, of Fairfield county, a daughter of Daniel and Rhoda (Seidener) Bussard.  Her grandparents were pioneers of Maryland, having settled there in colonial days.  The parents of Mrs. Barnett were both natives of Maryland and from that state removed to Fairfield county, Ohio, the Bussards being very early settlers of this portion of the state.  Mrs. Barnett was born in Fairfield county, November 5, 1839, and by her marriage became the mother of two children, but Cora E. died in her twelfth year.  The surviving daughter is Jennie A.
     Mr. Barnett
is a stanch advocate of Republican principles, having supported the party since attaining his majority.  He also belongs to Tarlton Lodge, No. 218.  I. O. O. F., and was once a member of McPherson Post, G. A. R.  Since 1849 he has been an acceptable member of the Methodist  Episcopal church and has always been loyal to its teachings and active in its work, doing everything in his power to extend the influence and promote the growth of the church.  Mrs. Barnett  is also an active member of the same church, with which she united in girlhood days.
(Source: Biographical Record of Fairfield & Perry Counties, Ohio - 1902)
WILLIAM BARR.  For almost one-third of a century William Barr has resided upon his present farm and is a representative of one of the honored pioneer families of the county, his grandfather having come to this portion of the state when Lancaster contained but two houses. Through all the intervening years the Barr family have been well known factors in the work of public progress and improvement. and their labors have resulted largely to the benefit of the community. Thomas Barr, the paternal grandfather. was a native of Ireland, and after leaving that country for the United States he took up his abode in Ohio, making his home on the present site of Lancaster, which at that time was a mere hamlet, containing two houses and giving little promise of future development and greatness. Throughout the years of his active life Thomas Barr carried on agricultural pursuits. The land which came into his possession was wild and unimproved, but his unremitting diligence was the means of transforming it into an excellent property. He reached the extreme old age of ninety-seven years and left to his family not only a handsome competence but also the priceless heritage of an untarnished name.
     Thomas Barr, the father of our subject, was reared amid the wild scenes of frontier life, sharing with the family of all hardships and toils as well as many trials incident to the settlement of a new district which is cut off from the comforts of civilization by long stretches of forest or of plain. He was born in Fairfield county on the old homestead in Amanda township. and with the exception of one year spent upon a farm in Clear Creek township, he never left the township in which he was born. He was a cooper by .trade and followed that pursuit for eight years. After his marriage and during the greater part of his life his undivided attention was given to agricultural pursuits and to the raising of stock. He became the owner of four hundred acres of valuable land, part of which was in Pickaway county. His industry was manifest by his unremitting attention to his fields and as the years passed his land became very rich, attractive and valuable. For twelve years he filled the office of township treasurer and was county commissioners for six years, discharging his duties with marked promptness, ability arid honor. He voted with the Democratic party and it was upon that ticket that he was chosen to positions of political preferment. His religious faith was indicated by his membership in the Baptist church. He died at the age of eighty-four years in the village of Amanda, where for a number, of years he had lived retired. In early life he had wedded Hannah Myers, and her death occurred when she was seventy-eight years of age. She was a native of Pennsylvania and when about ten years of age was brought by her parents to Ohio, the family making a settlement above Cedar Hill, in Amanda township. Mrs. Barr became the mother of thirteen children, of whom the subject of this review was the third in the order of birth. Seven of that number are still living. The father was one of the greatest marksmen ever in this country. His record is seven centers, in succession, which record was never broken by an offhand, open^sight shooter at forty yards.
     William Barr, whose name introduces this record, was born on the 5th of March, 1838, on the old farm homestead in Amanda township. In retrospect one can see him as a little farmer boy making his way to the district school of the neighborhood or assisting in the work of the field and meadow as his strength permitted. He continued upon the old homestead until after his marriage, when he started out in life independently, renting a farm in Amanda township. There he remained for five years, on the expiration of which time he purchased his present property in Amanda township and for thirty-two years has made his home thereon. Within the boundaries of his home are comprised one hundred and fifty-two and one-half acres of rich land. In addition to the cultivation of the crops best adapted to this climate he is engaged in' raising stock. He has made all the improvements upon the place, including the erection of a substantial farm house and other buildings.
     It was in the year 1862 that Mr. Barr led to the marriage altar Miss Margaret Greiner, the wedding being celebrated near Lancaster. The lady was a daughter of Henry F. and Mary Ann (Gorman) Greiner. Her father was a native of Germany and when only three years of age was brought to the new World by his parents, who first located in Pennsylvania, but afterward removed from the Keystone state to Ohio and became a resident of Lancaster. The father of Mrs. Barr was a stone cutter by trade, following that pursuit for a number of years. He afterward engaged in teaching in the public schools of Lancaster. He died at the comparatively early age of thirty-nine years. The home of our subject and his wife was blessed with ten children: Clara is living with her parents. Frank S., who owns and operates sixty acres of land in Amanda township, adjoining his father's farm, married Cora Belle Williamson, a daughter of Henry Williamson, of Lancaster, and they have three children : Alvin, Ruth and Floyd. George resides above Cedar Hill. Amanda township, where he is engaged in the tilling of the soil. He married Alice Peters, a daughter of the Rev. Robert Peters, a minister of the Baptist church, now in Pickaway county. Their children are Emil, Lester, Robert and Albert. Mary, the fourth member of the family, died at the age of twenty-nine years. Nora is at home. Nellie died at the age of three years. Florence is the wife of John Solt, of Pickaway county, where he follows farming, and they have one child, Harry. Fannie, Harry and Frederick are still under the parental roof. All of the children were born in Amanda township and pursued their education in the public schools of that locality. On May 30, 1902, Mrs. Barr was called to the home beyond. She was an earnest Christian, woman and was a loyal member of the Presbyterian church of Amanda.
     Mr. Barr exercises the right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the Democracy, but the honors and emoluments of office have no attraction for him; yet as a citizen he is deeply interested in everything pertaining to the general good. He belongs to the Presbyterian church of Amanda, and for ten or twelve years has served as one of its deacons. His personal characteristics are such as to win for him the friendship and regard of all with whom he has been brought in contact. His life has-ever been honorable and upright.
(Source: Biographical Record of Fairfield & Perry Counties, Ohio - 1902)
THE BAUMGARDNER FAMILY.  In the land of the Alps in the early part of the nineteenth century lived two young people, Jacob Baumgardner and Maria Emhoff, who are destined to figure prominently in the pioneer history of Fairfield county as early settlers of this part of the state and as founders of a family that has figured largely in promoting the material progress and the educational and moral advancement of this portion of Ohio.  Upon one of the westwardbound sailing vessels which left Europe in 1817 these young people were numbered among the passengers.  They crossed the Atlantic in company with Johonn Emhoff and his family, consisting of his wife, Fanny, his son John and the other daughters Barbara and Fanny.  They had previously lived in Arisdorf, in the canton of Basil, Switzerland, but the father believed that he might better his condition in the new world and provide better opportunities for his children.  therefore he came to America.  The youngest daughter was then the affianced bride of Jacob Baumgardner, who accompanied the family on the emigration.  The conditions of a sea voyage at that time were very different from those of the present day. in the slow sailing vessels it required weeks and sometimes months to cross the Atlantic and the vessel upon which the party started encountered some very severe weather.  Great grief also came to them in the los of the husband and father, who died while at sea and was buried beneath the waves of the Atlantic.  At length, however, the other members of the party arrived safely at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  There the family separated, the son, John Emhoff, going to New Orleans, where he located, making his home there until his death.  The daughter Barbara went to Cincinnati, Ohio, where she became the wife of John Sayler and spent her remaining days.  The other daughter, Fanny, became a resident of Baltimore, Maryland, where she was married to a Mr. Bussart, by whom she had a daughter, Nancy, who became the wife of Noah Ream.  Mrs. Bussart remained a resident of Baltimore, Maryland, until called to her final rest.  The youngest daughter of the family, Maria Emhoff, and her affianced husband, Jacob Baumgardner, came to Fairfield county, Ohio, settling in the vicinity of Basil, and here on the 1st of December, 1817, they were united in marriage by Justice Adam Weaver.
    
The domestic life of the young couple was begun on a farm about two and one-half miles south of Baltimore, Ohio.  They were worthy and honored pioneer people of the neighborhood, taking an active and helpful part in the work of improvement and progress as Fairfield county emerged from primitive conditions to take its place among the leading counties of this great commonwealth.  In the midst of the forest Mr. Baumgardner developed a farm, cutting away the trees and preparing the land for cultivation and then engaging in the tilling of the soil.  He used the crude farm implements which were known in that day and which made farm labor a more difficult and arduous task than at the present, but with characteristic energy and perseverance he continued his work until his land became very productive and brought to him a gratifying income as the result of his labor.  It was upon this farm that he and his wife reared their family of eight children, four sons and four daughters, namely: Elizabeth, Mary, John, Lydia, Solomon, Sary, Henry and Jacob.   All reached years of maturity, were married and had families of their own.  They took an active part in transforming the county into fine farms and thus made the name of "Fairfield" one well merited in this section of the state.
     Jacob Baumgardner, the husband and father, died on the 15th of October, 1829, in the thirty-eighth year of his age.  The widowed mother then continued to live with the children upon the old home place until April, 1831, when she was again married, becoming the wife of Benjamin Caley, at which time she went to the home of Mr. Caley, about four miles south of the city of Lancaster, in Berne township.  She was accompanied by all of the children by the first marriage with the exception of Elizabeth, the eldest daughter, who went to live with a family of the name of Heistand and John, the eldest son, who resided with a family by the name of Schaefer.  By the second marriage there were born two children: Rosan and George Washington Caley.  The different members of the family continued to live upon the Caley farm until they married and went to homes of their own.  Again the husband and father was removed by death from the household and the mother left a widow.  From some time she continued to live upon the farm with her son, Solomon Baumgardner, who succeeded her in the ownership of the property, and afterward she made her home with her daughter, Mrs. Rosan (Caley) Wilson, until she was called to her final rest on the 15th of December, 1875, when she had reached the advanced age of eighty-one years.  Thus passed away one of the esteemed pioneer women of Fairfield county.  Much has been written about the pioneer men who have pushed their way forward into the wilderness of the west and there developed farms or planted industries which have promoted the material prosperity and upbuilding of the localities with which they had become connected; less has been said about the pioneer women, but their part is now less important because their work is of a more quiet nature.  They have performed the duties of the household and have reared the children who have become the valued citizens of the later generation.  Mrs. Caley certainly deserved great credit for what she accomplished.  Carling for the little home upon the frontier, she was devoted to her family and as the result of her careful guidance and earnest efforts in behalf of her children they became men and women of strong character, of sterling purpose and of upright lives.
     Solomon Baumgardner
was only about seven years of age when he took up his abode upon the farm which is yet his home.  Here he has lived continuously since April, 1831.  He was educated in the schools of the locality and in his youth bore his part in the work of developing and improving the old homestead, early becoming familiar with the labors of field and meadow.  After arriving at years of maturity he sought a companion and helpmate for life's journey and was joined in wedlock to Rebecca Swartner, a daughter of John and Rebecca (Bixler) Swarner, the marriage ceremony being performed on the 24th of February, 1852, by the Rev. John Wagenhals.  Ten sons and one daughter were born of this union, namely: John Swarner Franklin Pierce, William Henry, Solomon, Jr., George Washington, Jacob Adam, Mary Rebecca, Albert, Frederick Horn, Edward and Findley May.  All of the children, together with the parents, are yet living, so that the family circle remains unbroken by the hand of death.  On the 24th of February, 1902, Solomon Baumgardner and his estimable wife celebrated their fiftieth, or golden, wedding anniversary and had the distinction and pleasure of seeing all of their children and grandchildren present at the home place on that joyous occasion.  It is a fact worthy of note that so large a family found it possible to all meet together again.  The Baumgardners come of a hardy, long-lived stock, four generations of them now living, and they are characterized by a sturdy integrity, Christian principles and by temperance, industry and thrift.  They occupy leading positions in their chosen walks of life and are of the noblest type of citizenship in this country.  Of the descendants of Jacob and Maria (Emhoff) Baumgardner there are living five children, forty-eight grandchildren, seventy-seven great-grandchildren and thirty-five great-great-grandchildren, while five children, twenty grandchildren, fifteen great-grandchildren and three great-great-grandchildren are deceased, making a total of two hundred and eight descendants.  The family name is inseparably interwoven with the history of Fairfield county through eighty-five years and the record is one of which any family might be proud, for fearless in conduct, honorable in business and stainless in character the representatives of the name have always been active in promoting the welfare of this section of Ohio along lines of material, intellectual and moral progress.
(Source: Biographical Record of Fairfield & Perry Counties, Ohio - 1901 - Page 400)
CLIFF O. BEALS, who is engaged in the practice of law in Pickering and is numbered among the native sons of Fairfield county, his birth having occurred on the 15th of August, 1871, is a son of W. G. and Nancy (Bethel) Beals.  His grandfather, George Beals, came to Ohio about seventy-five years ago, taking up his residence in Violet township.  He served his country as a lieutenant in the Revolutionary war and became an active factor in the substantial development of this part of the state.  In his family were four children:  Enoch, Wood, Amanda and William G., but the only one now living is William G. Beals, father of our subject.  He has made his home in this county for three-quarters of a century, having taken up his abode, at the time of his arrival, in Violet township, but at the present time he is a resident of Pickerington.  On reaching Ohio he located in Licking county, and during seventeen years he was in the gold fields of California.  By trade he was a blacksmith, but during much of his active life he followed farming in Violet township.  At the present time he is living retired in the enjoyment of a well-merited rest.  He was united in marriage to Nancy Bethel, a daughter of John Bethel, who was a native of Virginia, where he spent his entire life.  He was one of a family of eight children and was reared by Jonathan Edwards.  Unto William G. and Nancy Beals were born ten children, nine of whom are yet living, namely:  Merrill, Sadie, George, Meta and Mary (twins), John, Cliff O., Alva and Nellie.  Harry died at the age of eighteen years, the result of an accident.
     Cliff O. Beals, whose name introduces this record, pursued his early education in the district schools of Violet township and later continued his studies in the Reynoldsburg high school, in which he was graduated.  He then entered the Normal University at Ada, Ohio, taking a scientific course in 1892-3.  He is not only a self-made man but is a self-educated man, for at an early age he began to earn his own living and he worked for his board during his school life.  He also did abstracting during his course in Ada and thus provided for the expenses of his college education.  Subsequently he engaged in teaching school in the country for five years and in the meantime pursued the study of law, being admitted to the bar of Ohio on the 1st of March, 1894.  He then began practice in Pickerington, where he has since been located, and has met with gratifying success, having been connected with much of the important litigation tried in the courts of the locality.
     In August, 1897, Mr. Beals was united in marriage to Miss Laura Painter, a daughter of J. S. and Ellen Painter, of Canal Winchester.  Fraternally he is a member of the Knights of Pythias, of the Improved Order of Red Men and of the Woodmen of the World.  For six years he has served as justice of the peace, and in his political views is a Republican, taking an active part in the work of the party, serving at the present time as a member of the executive and of the central committee.  He is a young man, of large force of character, of laudable ambition and strong mentality, and these qualities have already gained for him creditable success and will doubtless win for him still greater success in the future.
(Source: Biographical Record of Fairfield & Perry Counties, Ohio - 1902)
GEORGE G. BECK was born in Lancaster, Ohio, Jan. 30, 1816, on the spot of ground on which he resided to the close of his life and where his father's family had lived  since 1810.  He was a son of Jacob Beck, born in Wurtemberg, Germany, in 1777, while his mother, who bore the maiden name of Anna Goss, was a native of Basil Switzerland, born in 1784.  The parents were pious Christians and donated the lot on which the first Lutheran church was built in Lancaster, the ground now occupied by the A. Getz shoe factory.  He was the youngest of four children: Jacob, born in 1808 and passed away in 1890; Mary, whose birth occurred in 1812, and who died in 1872; and George G., born in 1816, and died in 1885.
     The early education of George G. Beck was effectually adapted to fit him for that eminent degree of usefulness for which his life was distinguished.  His exalted religious character and his great worth as a wise and safe counsellor were known and recognized far beyond the limits of the community in which he resided.  No trust was ever committed to him that he did not faithfully discharge.  He was a stanch Lutheran, and the new St. Peter's Lutheran church, at the corner of Broad and Mulberry streets, stands as a monument to him and the members of the building committee, who not only contributed most liberally of their means but zealously devoted their time and strength to its upbuilding.  Mr. Beck learned the trade of a tanner but did not follow that vocation.  In 1835 he entered the drug store of Bury & Dumont and learned the business.  In 1840 he purchased the interest of Dumont and carried on the business on an extensive scale, wholesale and retain, in the building now owned by Beecher White, as partner with his brother-in-law, Joseph Bury.  Mr. Bury died in 1846, when Mr. Beck became sole owner of the store, and later purchased the building of the heirs of Christian King.  With only a short intermission in which he was connected with the Lancaster Starch Factory, as superintendent, he remained in the drug business to the close of his life- from 1835 until 1885 - the first under the name of Bury & Beck, then George G. Beck, and finally as George G. Beck & Son.  In 1859 he took charge of the drug store in the Frederick A. Shaffer building, corner of Main street and fountain square, which property he purchased in 1881.
     On the 17th of September, 1842, Mr. Beck was joined in Wedlock to Maria Louise Wagenhals, the eldest daughter of Rev. John and Maria Barbara (Poorman) Wagenhals.  Six children were born to them, as follows:  Anna Mary; Maria Louise and Gertrude, who passed away prior to the father's death; and John W., B. Ellen and  Julia E., together with his wife, survived him.  B. Ellen passed away on Dec. 16, 1890, after a long and painful illness, caused by injuries received in being thrown from a carriage.  She met death with the same quiet, Christian resignation with which she had met the issues of life.
     John Wagenhals Beck, who was born Jan. 28, 1845, and died Sept. 20, 1900, was the only son of George G. and Maria Louise (Wagenhals) Beck.  He was born on the old family homestead in Lancaster and when a boy entered is father's store.  He continued at the same stand where he first entered upon his life work until the close of his life.  He received his early education in the public schools and prepared himself for college in the private school of Dr. John Williams, the celebrated instructor and lexicographer.  Later he entered the University of Pennsylvania, where he graduated in pharmacy in 1868, after which he became a partner in his father's store under the name of George G. Beck & Son.  He survived his father nearly sixteen years but never changed the name of hte firm.  On Sept. 19, 1900, he was attacked with a violent hemorrhage of the stomach, from the effects of which he never rallied, and died at three o'clock A. M., the following day, Sept. 20,  Thus the names of George C. Beck & Son were stricken from the list of Lancaster's prominent and successful business men, after serving the public for more than sixty consecutive years.  J. H. Moody & Company are successors to the business.  John W. Beck was a member of the Lancaster Lodge of Elks and was elected as first treasurer of the order in this city.  Like his father, he was a stanch Republican and was always loyal to his party.
     Mrs. George G. Beck, nee Maria Louise Wagenhals, is a descendant of the Stantz, Hufford, Snyder and Poorman (formerly Purman) families, who settled in Dauphin and York counties, Pennsylvania, prior to 1744 and 1750.  A number of these sturdy people took part in our nation's struggle for liberty in the Revolutionary war.  Her maternal grandmother, Mary Elizabeth Snyder, was born June 4, 1775, near Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, and her maternal grandfather, Bernard Poorman, was born April 7, 1777, in Franklin county, Pennsylvania.  Her grandparents, Mary E. Snyder and Bernard Poorman, were married near Chambersburg, Pennsylvania in 1801.  In 1808 they removed to Perry county, Ohio, near Somerset, and settled on the farm which was their home until death.  Their second child was Maria Barbara, born May 25, 1803.  In October, 1822, she was married to Rev. John Wagenhals, and on Sept. 17, 1823, their oldest oldest child, Maria Louise, was born in New Lisbon, Columbiana county, Ohio.  In 1829 he received a call from St. Peter's Lutheran church of Lancaster, Ohio, where he labored until 1850, when he accepted a call from then church in Circleville, Ohio.  In 1868, on account of throat trouble, he was compelled to retire from the active duties of the ministry.  The mother died Mar. 2, 1827, leaving three small children: Maria Louise; Philip Melancthon and Elizabeth.  Maria Louise was married on the 13th of Sept., 1842, to George J. Beck, of Lancaster, Ohio.  The home he prepared for her as a bride has been her place of residence ever since.  Although seventy-eight years old at this writing, she is in possession of all her faculties.  She lives with her only surviving child, Mrs. Julia Beck Fromlet.
     Rev. John Wagenhals
a son of Daniel and Louise (Hornung) Wagenhals, was born Apr. 16, 1799, in Gueglingen, kingdom of Wurtemberg, Germany.  He attended the parochial school of his native city and received preparatory training in classical studies in the Latin school of the same place and afterward pursued his studies in the city of Stuttgart.  In 1818 he emigrated to America, and landed in the city of Philadelphia, where he became acquainted with eminent ministers of the Lutheran church, who, in view of his literary attainments, induced him to devote himself to the service of the church.  He continued his studies under the direction of several reputable clergymen of that early period and was licensed as a minister of the gospel Sept. 12, 1821.  On Trinity Sunday, in 1826, he was ordained at New Philadelphia, Ohio.  His first pastoral charge consisted of a number of congregations in Columbiana, Carroll and adjoining counties, which he served with great self-denial and faithfulness.  In 1829 he received a call from St. Peter's Lutheran church of Lancaster, Ohio, where he labored until 1859, when he accepted a call form the church in Circleville, Ohio.  In 1868 on account of throat trouble, he was compelled to retire from the active duties of the ministry.
     Rev Wagenhals was one of the founders of the Lutheran Theological Seminary at Columbus, Ohio, and was for many years a director and a most zealous supporter of the same.  In his intercourse with men he was invariably courteous and candid, and was deservedly held in high esteem by all who knew him.  As a preacher of the gospel he was eloquent, plain and instructive; as a pastor he was affectionate and sympathetic, and possessed the confidence, respect and esteem of his parishioners to an eminent degree.  In 1870 he returned to Lancaster, where he spent the last years of his life.  He died Sept. 12, 1884, at the advanced age of eighty-five years, four months and twenty-six days. 
     Philip M. Wagenhals, a son of Rev. John Wagenhals and Maria Barbara (Poorman) Wagenhals, was born Mar. 1, 1825, in Carroll county, Ohio.  He received his early education in Lancaster, Ohio, and at the Greenfield Academy, which was conducted by Dr. John Williams.  He read medicine under Dr. G. W. Boerstler, Sr., and later attended the University of Baltimore, in Baltimore, Maryland, from which he was graduated in 1846.  On June 14, 1847, he was united in marriage to Susan E. Shaeffer, of Lancaster, Ohio, and located in Somerset, Perry county, Ohio, where he resided several years.  He was a prominent and successful physician of this city from 1854 until 1874, when he removed with his family to Columbus, Ohio, where he died Feb. 16, 1881.  His wife and eight children survived him. 
     Julia A. Wagenhals, a daughter of Rev. and Margaret (Miller) Wagenhals, became the wife of Rev. C. Albrecht, deceased, who for many years was pastor of the Lutheran church at Miamisburg, Ohio.  She passed away on the 3d of March, 1893, being survived by her seven children.
     Rev. Samuel Wagenhals, D. D., a son of Rev. J. and Catherine (Ludwig) Wagenhals, was born in Lancaster, Ohio, on the 17th of January, 1843.  He received his early education in the public schools of his native town and also under the instruction of Dr. John Williams.  He graduated from Capital University, Columbus, Ohio, in 1862, and soon afterward enlisted in the One Hundred and Fourteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry as a private.  At the end of the Civil war he was mustered out as first lieutenant of Company B, and immediately entered the Theological Seminary, at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, graduating in 1868.  He is a prominent minster of the Lutheran church and is president of the board of directors of the Lutheran Seminary at Chicago, Illinois.  He is still serving his first pastorate at Fort Wayne, Indiana, where he has resided since 1868.
     Katherine Wagenhals, a daughter of Rev. J. and Catherine (Ludwig) Wagenhals, married Rev. George Harter, and they are living in Akron, Ohio.
     Mary Wagenhals, the youngest daughter of Rev. J. and Catherine (Ludwig) Wagenhals, married David M. Emmitt, of Waverly, Ohio, where she is now living with her son, her husband having passed away in 1895.
(Source: Biographical Record of Fairfield & Perry Counties, Ohio - 1902 - Page 21)
JACOB K. BECK owns and operates one hundred and twenty-five acres of land in Fairfield county and is an energetic and progressive farmer, whose methods are in keeping with the most advanced thoughts and ideas concerning agriculture.  He was born in the city of Lancaster, June 28, 1834, his parents being Jacob and Susan (Kerns) Beck  The father was a native of Baden Baden, Germany, and came to the United States when about eight years of age with his parents, Jacob and Anna Beck.  Both of the grandparents were natives of Germany and it was about 1805 that they bade adieu to the fatherland and sailed for the new world.  After landing upon the American coast they made their way direct to Ohio, settling in Lancaster.  The grandfather was a blacksmith and followed that business in the county seat of Fairfield county throughout the remainder of his life, his expert workmanship and reliability in trade winning for him a comfortable competence.  He died when about sixty-five years of age.  In their family were four children, two sons and two daughters, but all are now deceased.
     Jacob Beck, Jr., the father of our subject, was educated in Lancaster and under his father's direction learned the blacksmith's trade, which he followed for a number of years.  He was also prominent in public affairs and his fellow townsmen, recognizing his worth and ability, called him to public office.  He presided as county treasurer from 1830 until 1836, and was a faithful custodian of the public exchequer.  The trust reposed in him was never betrayed in the slightest degree and his word was a synonym of integrity.  He was held in the highest esteem by his fellow men and often was called by them to settle estates, and was frequently appointed administrator or executor by the courts of the county, his honesty being proverbial.  Over the record of his public career as well as his private life falls no shadow of wrong or suspicion of evil.  About 1836 he removed from the city of Lancaster, taking up his abode upon a farm which he purchased in Hocking township, comprising three hundred acres of land.  This he improved, making it his home until his death.  His attention was devoted to the raising of cereals best adapted to this climate and also to the raising of stock, and in both branches of his business he met with the creditable success, which he well deserved.  It was on the 3d of December, 1898, that his life's labors were ended in death, at the age of ninety-four years, five months and eight days.  He was a member of the Evangelical Lutheran church and for many years was one of its officers.  His political support was given the Republican party, but he never sought or desired office, although he filled some positions.  His wife passed away about eight years previous to the death of her husband.  She was born in Pennsylvania and was also a member of the Lutheran church, living an earnest, Christian life, characterized by many acts of kindness.  This worthy couple became the parents of five sons and three daughters, six of whom are yet living, namely:  Mary Ann, wife of Z. Peters, of Hocking township; George W., who married Sarah McClarry and also resides in Hocking township; Jacob, our subject; H. S., who married Julia Wilson, now deceased, and is engaged in the banking business in Pierce, Nebraska; Rev. J. Beck, of Richmond, Indiana, who married Lizzie Ziegler, of Columbus, Ohio, who married Sally Work, of Lancaster.  Those deceased are Elizabeth, who died in infancy; and Clara Jane, who married William J. Hughes, and died Feb. 5, 1894, at the age of thirty-eight years.
     Our subject was only two years of age when his parents removed to the farm, but he acquired his education in the schools of Lancaster.  He was early inured to the work of cultivating and improving the fields, and through the summer months largely assisted in the raising of the crops.  After his marriage he continued to live upon the home farm for a short time and then removed to the farm which his father had given him.  He now owns and operates one hundred and twenty-five acres of rich land.  It is a model property for he has made many improvements upon it, has modern machinery and all the equipments necessary to facilitate the work.  Diligence and enterprise are numbered among his characteristics and have been the foundation of his success.
     Mr. Beck was united in marriage in December, 1859, to Mary E. Wolf, a native of Fairfield county, and they became the parents of three children, but their first born, Carrie, died at the age of one year.  Estella May is the wife of C. M. Crumley, an insurance agent of Lancaster, Ohio; and Alice May is the wife of W. L. Kiger, of Bluffton, Indiana.  Her husband is a hardware merchant there, and they have one living son, Bruce.  The mother of this family was called to her final rest in 1874 a the age of thirty-two years,  dying upon the old home place.  She was devoted to her family, doing everything in her power to enhance the happiness and comfort of her husband and children.  For his second wife Mr. Beck chose Ruth Alice Shellenbarger, and their marriage was celebrated on the 23 of March, 1876.  The lady in the daughter of Reuben Shellenbarger, a native of Fairfield Co., in Berne township.  He too, was a farmer by occupation and followed that pursuit throughout his entire life, his death occurring about twenty-four years ago upon his home far in Berne township.  His wife, who bore the maiden name of Christiana Pearce, was born in Rhode Island and her death occurred in 1861.  By her marriage she became the mother of six children, five of whom are yet living, namely: Mrs. Ruth Beck; Mary A., the wife of Robert Pierce, of Lancaster; Christiana, the wife of John McClain, of Pleasant township; Delia, deceased wife of Myron Prindle; James, who resides with his sister, Mrs. Beck; and Emma, who died in infancy.
     Mr. Beck exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the Republican party, and also belongs to the Lutheran church, in which he has served as trustee for eight years.  He takes a deep and abiding interest in every movement and measure calculated to promote the material, intellectual, social and moral welfare of his community and his efforts in this regard have not been without effect.  His entire life has been passed in the county of his nativity, and the fact that many who have known him from boyhood are numbered among his stanchest friends, is an indication that his career has ever been an honorable and straightforward one.
(Source: Biographical Record of Fairfield & Perry Counties, Ohio - 1902 - Page 21)
FRANK J. BOVING, who is successfully engaged in agricultural pursuits, he resided upon his present farm since birth.  He was born on the 17th of January, 1851, and is a son of George William Boving, a native of Bremen, Germany, born May 5, 1800.  He had three brothers and one sister, all of whom have now passed away.  In the year 1848, he emigrated to Fairfield county, Ohio, locating on a farm now owned by his son, Frank J., in Bloom township.  There was some timber upon the place and Mr. Boving, was characteristic energy, began to clear and develop the land.  He had been educated in his native city and at the age of sixteen was placed in charged of a large farm in the capacity of superintendent, so that his broad experience enabled him to successfully carry on agricultural pursuits on his own account.  He was twice married.  In 1833 he wedded Sophia Pfleging and until them were born four children, all of whom are now deceased.  The mother passed away in 1847 and in 1849 Mr. Boving was again married, his second union being with Amalia Paran, of Woolfsanger, Germany, the ceremony being celebrated in Lancaster, Ohio.  Four children were born of this marriage, but two of the number are deceased, Harry R., a jeweler of Lancaster, being the younger of the living sons.  The father died May 25, 1890, after a long residence in Fairfield county, during which time he won many friends by reason of his upright character.
     In the district schools of Fairfield township, Frank J. Boving pursued his education and his business training was received upon the home farm, where he early became familiar with all the duties and labors that fall to the lot of the agriculturist.  In 1879 he was united in marriage to Dora Schaer, a daughter of August Schaer, who came from Hanover, Germany, to the United States.  In 1844 he took up his abode in Bloom township, Fairfield county, where he lived until seventy-four years of age, passing away in 1886.  His wife, who bore the maiden name of Augusta Fromme, died in 1890 at the age of sixty-two years.  They were the parents of six children, all of whom are yet living, namely:  Ida, the wife of Justus Gromme, of Lancaster; Mrs. Boving; Edward G., who is living in Bloom township; Frank G., of Violet township; Mrs. Antonia Alspach of Columbus; and Amelia, a resident of Carroll. The father was a well educated man and an extensive reader, keeping well informed on all the issues and questions of the day. He held membership in the Lutheran church, was always one of its officers and for a long time served as its treasurer. He was a popular citizen owing to 'his genial disposition and reliability in all the walks of life.
     The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Boving was blessed with three children, but August, their first born, his natal day being September 3, 1880, died in infancy. The others are Antonia, born November 22, 1886, and Louis Walter, born August 7, 1890. The parents hold membership in the Zion Evangelical church, of which Mr. Boving is serving as treasurer. They contribute liberally to its support and are well known people of the community, having many friends throughout Fairfield county. In his business undertakings Mr. Boving has met with creditable and deserved success. He has realized that industry is the foundation of all prosperity and with unremitting diligence he has carried on his farm work.
(Source: Biographical Record of Fairfield & Perry Counties, Ohio - 1902)
CAPTAIN OLIVER B. BRANDT.
     Man is never called upon to make a greater sacrifice than when he puts aside all business and personal relations, severs family ties and goes forth in defense of his country or of a people to face danger and perhaps death upon the field of battle, yet many thousands of the nation's bravest sons manifested their loyalty to the Union cause when the south attempted to set at naught the power of the national government in 1861. Captain Brandt was among those who joined the northern army and faithfully did he follow the call of duty wherever it led', his bravery and meritorious conduct winning him! promotion until a captain's commission was conferred upon him. He is now numbered among the farmers and stock raisers of Fairfield county, his home being on section 6, Greenfield township.
Captain Brandt was born March 26, 1838, in this county. His father, Adam Brandt, was born near Carlisle,, Pennsylvania, June 24, 1800, a son of David Brandt, also a native of the Keystone state. When a youth of twelve years Adam Brandt was brought by his parents to Ohio, the family settling in Fairfield county in 1812, and as they were in limited financial circumstances he was early forced to earn his own livelihood and began learning the shoemaker's trade. Soon after attaining his majority he secured a small stock of men's heavy boots and with this started to the fields where a gang of workmen were employed in constructing a canal. There his small stock was quickly sold and with the money thus obtained he purchased more leather and began making a new supply of boots, so that he deserves to be known as a pioneer boot and shoe manufacturer of this county. This was the foundation of his successful career. As he had a ready sale for these products of his labor he soon secured a surplus and this money he invested in one hundred and sixty acres of land, covered with a dense grove of timber. He then hired some men to clear the ground and prepare it for the plow. Among the stumps he planted apple, peach, pear and cherry trees and in a few years his place was known as the Fruit Ridge farm. He had one of the finest orchards of this part of the state and it yielded abundantly.
     In 1806 there had come to Lancaster a family whose religious views had led them to liberate their slaves and for this they were ostracized by their neighbors in Virginia. On this account they decided to seek a home in the free west and thus the Cooper family was established in Lancaster. The father was a saddler by trade and lish a harness business in Fairfield county. it is claimed he was the first man to estab-  About 1819 his daughter, Rebecca Cooper, became the wife of Adam Brandt and unto them, as the years passed, were born seventeen children, nine sons and eight daughters, of whom fourteen reached years of maturity, while nine are still living. The hereditary strain in the family was manifested in the grandsons, for six of them were enrolled among the soldiers of the Union army fighting for the suppression of slavery, which the grandfather had opposed so many years before. The sons of Adam who wore the blue were Henry C., who died in February, 1895; Jonathan C., who is still living at the age of seventy-four years; Isaac, who resides in California, aged seventy-one; Oliver B., of this sketch;. William J.; and Wesley L., who resides in Mitchellville, Iowa, aged sixty years. Three of the daughters also married soldiers of the Civil war, namely: Catherine, born in 1S20, married Samuel Radabaugh and resides in Minnesota; Elizabeth, born in 1827, married Samuel Apt and resides in Kansas; and Rebecca, born in 1835, married S. S. Wiest and resides in Baltimore, Ohio. Thus this family was represented by-nine loyal men who fought for the starry banner and the cause it represented. Of these William J. Brandt died in the service February 13, 1862, aged twenty-one; Jackson H., another son, died November 25, 1867. The other daughters were as follows: Martha, born September 10, 1833, is now the widow of Jacob Weaver and is a. resident of Oklahoma Territory; Harriet, born December 25, 1836, is the wife of N. S. Ebright, of Carroll, Ohio; Many M., born December 8, 1839, is the widow of Joseph Morley, and a resident of Kansas: and Emaliza, born December 31, 1846, died in 1878. Certainly Adam Brandt had cause to be proud of his posterity. In his farming operations he prospered. The Fruit Ridge farm, which he developed in the midst of the wilderness, became one of the most flourishing fruit farms in all this section of the country and its owner was honored and respected for his many good qualities. He lived to a ripe old age, being seventy-four years when killed June 24, 1874, by falling from a tree. Mrs. Brandt died April 18, 1870, at the age of sixty-eight years.
     Captain Oliver B. Brandt, whose name introduces this record, worked upon the home farm and under his father's direction until twenty-one years of age and when Abraham Lincoln issued his first call for seventy-five thousand men to serve for three months, thinking that the war would be over at that time, Oliver Brandt was among the first to be enrolled among the members of Company A, Seventeenth Ohio Infantry. On the expiration of term of enlistment, the regiment was reorganized and he became a member of Company F, with which he served for three years. From time to time he was promoted through the various ranks until in recognition of his loyal patriotism and military skill, he was commissioned captain. He participated in sixteen pitched battles and twelve skirmishes, and seven bullets pierced his clothing, while his sword was shot in two at the hilt in the battle of Chickamauga. On the second day of the engagement, while he was in command of the color company, a shell burst in their midst, killing and wounding many of his comrades. The enemy taking advantage of the havoc and confusion again charged in the column before they could rally, capturing Captain Brandt and many of his men. As a prisoner of war he was sent to Libby prison and later to Macon, Georgia. He was one of the Union soldiers to be sent to Charleston, South Carolina, the Confederates thinking if they placed many Union prisoners in that city that the Union forces would not attempt its destruction and would cease shelling the tower for fear of killing their own unfortunate comrades, thus placing them under the fire of their own guns. It was fortunate that Captain Brandt had a strong constitution to withstand all the hardships and horrors of prison life. He managed, however, to keep in good health and was never on the sick list or had the aid of a physician or surgeon from the time he responded to President Lincoln's call until receiving his honorable discharge in July, 1865. His is certainly a creditable military record of which he has every reason to be proud. He was always found at his post of duty, which was often in the thickest of the fight, and he never hesitated or wavered in obeying a command and by his own bravery he inspired many of his company to like deeds of bravery and heroism.
     Not long after his return home in March, 1866, Captain Brandt was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Holmes, a daughter of George W. Holmes, a farmer of Greenfield township. Six children have been born of this marriage, three sons and three daughters, namely: Nancy O., born in 1866, is now the wife of McClellan Martens, a hardware dealer of Lancaster; Ida K., born in 1868, resides at home; James M. born in 1870, married Dessa Lamb, a daughter of Hon. George Lamb, and resides in Fostoria, Ohio, where he is engaged in the agricultural implement business; Lulu, born in 1872, is with her parents; Harry H., born in 1874, is engaged in teaching school; and George W., born in 1877, assists his father in the management of the home farm. Captain Brandt has resided upon this place since his marriage and his home is made pleasant through the talent of his daughters, who have inherited their paternal grandfathers musical ability and love of flowers. The Brandt family is one that is highly esteemed in Fairfield county, and to his duties of citizenship the Captain is as true and loyal today as when he followed the starry banner of the nation through the south. In politics he is a strong Republican; for thirty years has been an active worker for his party's interests; was chairman of the Republican county committee in 1890-2; and is now a member of the Republican central committee.  He served as school director twenty-one years and in 1898 was in Columbus as a committee to look after the interests of the Carroll schools.  Fraternally he is a prominent member of Ezra B. Ricketts Post, No. 426, G. A. R., of Carroll, of which he is past commander and is now adjutant.
(Source: Biographical Record of Fairfield & Perry Counties, Ohio - 1902)
ENOCH BRIGHT.  When travel by team, and wagon, on horseback or by means of the waterways of the country—long before the era of railroads—the Bright family was established in Fairfield county. The paternal grandparents of our subject were John and Anna Maria (Leiss) Bright, and the former was a son of David Bright, who was born in the year 1710. He entered land from the government in Berks county, Pennsylvania, and the property is still in the possession of his descendants. He lived and died in Berks county, followed the occupation of farmings throughout the years of his active business career. He was the father of eight children, including John Bright, the grandfather of our subject. The latter came to Fairfield county in the early years of the nineteenth century. Much of the land was still in possession of the government and he entered a claim on sections 29 and 30 in Liberty township, after which he returned to Pennsylvania, where he died. He had a son, David, who, coming to Fairfield county, Ohio, spent his last days in Greenfield township.
     John Bright, Jr., the father of cur subject, was born in Berks county, Pennsylvania, on the 9th of January, 1787. Somewhere between 1808 and 1812 he came to Ohio, settling upon the land which had been purchased by his father. He made a journey on horseback over roads that were scarcely more than Indian trails in places. After a time he returned to Pennsylvania. where he was married, bringing his wife with him to his new home upon the western frontier. They took up their abode in Liberty township, spending the remainder of their days within its borders, honored and respected pioneer people, actively connected' with fanning interests of Ohio.  John Bright, the father of our subject, was drafted for service in the war of 1812, but furnished a substitute, feeling that his first duty was to his family and that he must prepare for their comfort and welfare before aught else. He built a gristmill and also a sawmill upon his farm upon the banks of the Poplar creek. He cleared many acres of land, placed splendid improvements upon his property and developed one of the best farms in the township. As his capital increased he added to his property until at the time of his death, which occurred in the year 1853, he was the owner of seventeen hundred acres of land, nearly all of which lay in Fairfield county. He deserved great credit for what he accomplished, owing his prosperity entirely to his well directed and indefatigable efforts. He was united in marriage to Hannah Clauer, who proved to him a faithful companion and helpmate for a number of years, but was then called to her final rest, leaving four children, who reached years of maturity, although all are now deceased. These were Mary, who became the wife of John Swartz; Hester, the wife of Alexander Miller; Susanna, the wife of Daniel Langwell; and Peter. After the death of his first wife John Bright was again married, his second union being with Elizabeth Myers, and unto them) were born three children, the eldest being Enoch, of this review. The others are Hannah, the widow of Henry Langwell, and John, who resides in Baltimore, Ohio. The parents were members of the Evangelical church, were deeply interested in its work and contributed in no small measure to the growth and upbuilding of the church. Oftentimes camp meetings were held upon their farm and Mr. Bright was one of the most liberal contributors to the cause of Christianity in this locality. His political support was given to the Democracy, and though his business affairs made heavy demands upon his time, he always found opportunity to faithfully discharge his duties of citizenship and co-operate in all movements for the general good.
     Enoch Bright, who is an honored representative of one of the prominent pioneer families of the county, was born in Liberty township upon a farm which he yet owns, January 3, 1830. He is now living retired, however, and his home is in Baltimore. He pursued his education in one of the old time log school houses commonly seen upon the frontier, but his advantages in that direction were somewhat meager, for at an early age he found it necessary to assist his father in the work of the home farm and in the operation of the saw and grist mills. He early learned the value of industry, enterprise and economy in the active affairs of life and the lessons gained in early youth proved of value to him as the years passed. He remained at home until twenty' years of age, at which time he was given two hundred and fourteen acres of land by his father and began fanning on his own account. As. a companion and helpmate for the journey of life Mr. Bright chose Miss Louisa Yager, the marriage being celebrated July 25, 1852, when he was twenty-two years of age. She is a native of Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania, and during her early girlhood she was brought to Fairfield county by her parents. The voting couple began their domestic life upon the farm which had been given them and as time passed the land was cultivated and improved and placed under a high state of cultivation. There the family lived for nearly half a century, but in the spring of 1902 removed to Baltimore, where Mr. Bright now makes his home in the enjoyment of a well earned rest, the fruits of his former toil supplying him with all the necessaries and many of the comforts and luxuries of life. He was a very industrious and energetic agriculturist and his farm in its neat and thrifty appearance always indicated his careful supervision. He erected there a nice home, good barns and outbuildings and everything about the place was kept in excellent condition.
     The home of Mr. and Mrs. Bright was blessed with eleven children, eight of whom reached years of maturity: Mahala is the wife of David Alt, of Baltimore, and they have two children, Maude and Burl; Ida is the wife of A. Hansberger, by whom she has two children, Dolly and Beulah; Tillman G., who resides upon his father's farm and is married and. has four children, Maude, Nolla, Floyd and Julia; Mildred E. resides in Union county, Ohio; Elmer is a resident of Lancaster; Harley H. is living in Liberty township on the old homestead; Dolly is at home with her father; Minnie is. the wife of Elmer Bailey and they have two children, Mary and Martha.
     Mr. and Mrs. Bright were members of the United Evangelical church for many years, and Mrs. Bright died in that faith on the 17th of February, 1901, her remains being interred in the old family burying ground near her husband's farm. Mr. Bright has ever been faithful as a citizen and loyal to the best interests of the county, state and nation, manifesting his fidelity to his country during the time of the Civil war, enlisting in May, 1864, as a member of the One Hundred and Sixtieth Regiment of Ohio Volunteers, being mustered in at Zanesville. After the expiration of his three months term he was mustered out at the same place September 7. He is now a member of Cupp Post, G. A. R., of Baltimore. While his life has been quietly passed. unmarked by many events Of exciting interest, he has always been found as one of who has due regard for the obligations of citizenship and to the duty which he owes to his fellow mien. During his long residence in Fairfield county, covering the period of his entire life, he has continually added to the circle of his friends by reason of his sterling worth.
(Source: Biographical Record of Fairfield & Perry Counties, Ohio - 1902)
HOWARD A. BROWN, M. D.  Dr. Howard A. Brown has for twenty-seven years engaged in the practice of medicine in Carroll and throughout this period has enjoyed the confidence and good will of the public and has received a liberal patronage in the line of his chosen vocation.  He was born Mar. 15, 1854, in Sugar Grove, Fairfield county, a son of Dr. Robert H. and Lucinda (Armstrong) Brown.  The father was also a native of this state, having been born in Perry county, and was a physician.  In 1847 and 1848 he attended lectures at what is now the Starling Medical College of Columbus but at that time was called the Willoughby Medical College.  For many years he engaged in practice at Sugar Grove with excellent success and there died in November, 1860, at the age of forty years, leaving a widow and four children.  Emma J., the eldest, is the wife of James H. Foster, a veteran of the Civil war, who now resides in Sugar Grove.  Robert F., a farmer, served as auditor of Fairfield county and is now filling the position of deputy auditor.  Prudence a. is the wife of H. M. Jackson of Lancaster.  The fourth member of the family is the Doctor, whose name introduces this review.  The mother of these children was a daughter of John and Prudence (Sweeny) Armstrong, the former a native of Pennsylvania and a son of John Armstrong, who came to this country from England in colonial days.  The Armstrong family trace their ancestry back to the early wars of England, at which time the name was Fairchild, and according to tradition it was changed in the following manner.  During the battle of the King became unhorsed a Fairchild lifted him up and seated him on his own horse, for which service the King changed the name to Armstrong.  Little is known of John Armstrong, the progenitor of the family in America, save that he settled in Pennsylvania.  His son, John Jr., was one of the "forty-niners" who went to California during the gold excitement in that state.  He made his home in Roseville, Muskingum county, Ohio, where he engaged in the pottery business, and there died.  It was in that county that his daughter, Mrs. Brown, was born.  After the death of her first husband she became the wife of Jesse Stuckey, a resident farmer of Sugar Grove, and unto them was born one son, John J. Stukey, who is engaged in the practice of dentistry in Lancaster.
     At the usual age Dr. Brown, of this review, began his education in the district schools and after acquiring a good knowledge of the literary branches of learning he began preparation for the profession which he wished to make his life work by entering the office of Dr. D. N. Kinsman, of Columbus, with whom he studied one year.  He then entered the Starling Medical College, where he completed a regular course and was graduated with the degree of M. D. in 1875.  During this period he remained in the office of Dr. Kinsman.  For a few months he engaged in practice at his old home and then came to Carroll, where he has successfully followed his profession for twenty-seven years.  He was not long in demonstrating his ability to successfully cope with disease and from the beginning he has enjoyed a good practice, his skill and ability ranking him among the foremost members of the profession in this county.  He not only has a liberal patronage in Carroll but is frequently called to distant places throughout the state in consultation over critical cases.
     On the 16th of Dec., 1875, Dr. Brown was united in marriage to Emma E., daughter of Ephraim Ackers, who was elected to the position of auditor of Fairfield county but died before the expiration of his term of office.  Unto the Doctor and his wife have been born two sons but Robert H. died at the age of eight years.  Archie Ackers Brown, born Dec. 31, 1877, is now being carefully educated and it is hoped that he will eventually be the third Dr. Brown of Fairfield county.
     Our subject has spent his entire life in this county and wherever he is known is liked and is held in the highest regard.  Where he is best known as a physician he sustains an enviable reputation not only because of his comprehensive knowledge but of his close adherence to the strict professional ethics.  His fellow townsmen entertain for him warm esteem and the circle of his friends is almost coextensive with the circle of his acquaintances.  The Doctor is examiner for the following life insurance companies:  Mutual Life of New York; Pennsylvania Mutual; John Hancock; Fidelity; Union Central and Modern Woodmen.  He was also representative to the grand lodges of Masons and Knights of Pythias of Ohio.
(Source: Biographical Record of Fairfield & Perry Counties, Ohio - 1902 - Page 271)
OBED BROWN.  For forty-one years Obed Brown has resided in Fairfield county and for sixteen years has filled the office of township trustee, which indicates the unmistakable honor, confidence and trust reposed in him by his fellow townsmen.  He was born in Pickaway county on the 4th of May, 1843, his parents being Elisha and Hannah (Etherton) Brown.  His father was also born in Pickaway county and throughout the years of his active business career devoted his time to farm work, in which he prospered as the years passed.  He closely applied himself to his duties, and through his capable management and unremitting diligence met with gratifying success.  He voted with the Democracy and though he never cared for official preferment was a public-spirited man and endorsed all measures and movements for the general good.  He died at the home of our subject in 1901 at the age of eighty-six years, his birth having occurred in 1815.  His wife was also born in Pickaway county and died about thirteen years before her husband's demise.  By her marriage she became the mother of seven children, five of whom are yet living, Obed Brown, the subject of this review, being the third in order of birth.
     Upon the old farm homestead where he first opened his eyes to the light of day Obed Brown was reared until his had attained the age of eighteen years, when he came to Fairfield county.  In the meantime he had acquired a good English education in the common schools and had become familiar with farm work, and has never desired to change his occupation.  Upon arriving in Fairfield county in 1861 he located in Amanda township upon a tract of land which he cultivated for a time, then purchased his present farm of eighty acres.  It has been his home continuously since, and its neat and thrifty appearance is an indication of his thorough understanding of farming methods and his earnest desire to make his property an attractive and valuable one.
     The year 1869 was the one in which was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Brown and Miss Caroline Crites, a daughter of Samuel Crites, one of the early settlers of Fairfield county.  His birth occurred in Berks county, Pennsylvania, in 1800, and he afterward became a prominent farmer of the Buckeye state, his thorough worth winning for him the esteem of all with whom he was associated.
     The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Brown has been blessed with five children:  Alice is the wife of Edson Groce, a farmer living in Walnut township, Pickaway county.  Maggie is the wife of Joseph Bitler, a resident farmer of Amanda township.  They have one child, Lauren O. Bitler.  Etta died at the age of five years.  Bertha is the wife of John A. Bowman a resident farmer of Clear Creek township.  Emmitt resides upon the old home place and assists his father in the cultivation of the fields.  Mr. Brown believes that the principles of the Democracy are best calculated to promote good government in state and nation, and therefore endorses the men and measures of that party.  He is at present serving as township trustee, having filled the office for the past sixteen years.  No higher testimonial of capable service could be given than this.
(Source: Biographical Record of Fairfield & Perry Counties, Ohio - 1902 - Page 300)
WILLIAM L. BUCHANAN, of Baltimore, Ohio, was born in Walnut township, Fairfield county, on the 3rd of July, 1850, and is a son of William and Catherine (Huffman) Buchanan, the former a native of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, while the latter was born near Baltimore, Maryland. The paternal grandfather and the great-grand­father both bore the name of William and the family is of Scotch-Irish descent. The father of our subject was a shoemaker by trade and followed that occupation in connection with farming and the manufacture of brick, and later engaged in the hotel business in Pleasantville, Ohio, in 1853 and died in 1854. An old brick church near the Indian fort, in Perry county, was built of brick which came from his kilns. He died when he was forty-four years of age, his wife living for some years after. In their family were eleven children, of whom three are yet living. Sarah became the wife of M. W. Mock, and both are now deceased. Catherine is the deceased wife of Thomas Irick. James K. was living in: Texas at the time of the Civil war and when about fifteen years of age was drafted for service in the rebel army. He and two com­panions crossed the bay in an old molasses-box and thus made their way to the north. James is now deceased. George W., who-resides in Pleasantville, was for years engaged in the hotel business there, but is now retired. He served in the Union army as a member of the Eighty-eighth Ohio Infantry. Mary A. is the wife of L. L. Norris and resides in Thurston. William L. is the next in the family. Darlington is deceased and the youngest died in infancy. The mother of this family was an active member of the Methodist Protestant church. The father gave his political support to the Democracy and was at one time deputy sheriff of the county. He became a charter member of Pleasantville Lodge, No. 163, I. O. O. F., and passed all of its chairs. He was a self-made man and one who deserved great credit for what he accomplished. He was not only industrious and energetic, but his business methods were also such as to commend him to his fellow men.
     William L. Buchanan attended the public schools of Pleasantville, and at the age of fourteen began making his own way in the world. When he was twenty years of age he commenced conducting a hotel at Pleasantville.
     As a companion and helpmate on life's journey Mr. Buchanan chose Miss Clara Lamb, the wedding being celebrated September 26, 1872. The lady was a native of Walnut township and a daughter of Jacob and Anna Lamb. One child was born of this marriage, Claude Lamb, who is now secretary for the Twin City Paper Company, at Baltimore. He was born January 14, 1874. On the 30th of October, of the same year, the wife and mother passed away and was laid to rest in the cemetery at Pleasantville. For his second wife Mr. Buchanan chose Miss Clara Elnora Fink, a native of Pleasant township and a daughter of William and Mary Fink, both of whom are now deceased. Her mother died when she was only three years of age. By that marriage there were three children: Anna May. now deceased, Frank W., who is employed as a clerk in the Kirk House at Zanesville, and Thomas Whitney, deceased. The mother of these children died May 3, 1889, and the father afterward married Cassie May Ketner, a native of Walnut township and a daughter of Benjamin and Elizabeth Ketner, both of whom are still living. This wedding was celebrated October 19, 1890, and has been blessed with two children—Russell K. and Clara Ruth. On the 24th of March, 1894, Mr. Buchanan removed to Baltimore, where he purchased a hotel and has since conducted business there, being the popular and genial host of the Baltimore House, which is receiving a liberal patronage and is a popular resort with the traveling public. In his political views Mr. Buchanan is a Democrat. Socially he is quite prominent. He belongs to Fairfield Lodge, No. 163, I. O. O. F., which he joined on the 5th of May, 1877, at Pleasantville. On. the 28th of June, 1880, he became a member of Walnut Valley Encampment, No. 218, and is now a past patriarch. He also belongs to Canton Ivanhoe, No. 10, at Lancaster, and is quarter­master sergeant of the Fifth Regiment. He is a charter member of the Rebecca lodge known as Chico Lodge, No. 196. Of this his second wife was a charter member and his present wife is also a member. Mr. Buchanan was a charter member and one who filed the application for the establishment of White Arrow Lodge, Knights of Pythias, No. 341, at Pleasantville. on the 21st of May, 1889, and for three years he has been its representative to the grand lodge. He is also a charter member of Baltimore Lodge, Knights of Pythias. No. 673, and for three years was its representative to the grand lodge. He is likewise a charter member of Chickasaw Tribe, No. 100, I. O. R. M., at Thurston, Ohio. He is a man who has gained a wide acquaintance throughout this county and possesses the qualities which render him a capable and successful hotel main. He gives close and earnest attention to the needs of his guests, looks after their comfort and convenience and by his genial, social manner he has gained a large circle of friends, not only of this community, but amid the traveling public.
(Source: Biographical Record of Fairfield & Perry Counties, Ohio - 1902)
JOHN T. BUSBY.  The life history of Judge John Theodore Busby is that of one who is a high type of our American manhood - straight-forward and enterprising, and in public office placing the good of the community before self-aggrandizement.  For almost forty years he was continuously in public office and over the record of his official career there falls no shadow of wrong or suspicion of evil.  There is particular satisfaction in reverting to his history, for his mind bears the impress of the historic pioneer days.  He was born in the village of Royalton, Fairfield county, on the 25th of September, 1827, and on the paternal side is of Irish descent and on the maternal of German lineage.  His great-grandfather, John Busby, was a native of Ireland and married Miss Mary Stevens, a native of Scotland.  He became the founder of the family in America, as well as the first representative of the name in this county.  By trade he was a carpenter and carried on business along that line throughout his entire life in order to provide for his family.  His death occurred in the village of Royalton in the year 1819.
     Samuel S. Busby, the father of our subject, was born on Royalton, January 28, 1798, - before the admission of Ohio into the Union.  He was a machinist and farmer and was a representative and valued citizen of the community in pioneer times.  After arriving at years of maturity he first married Catherine Trone, in 1819, and after her death married Ann Maria Fetters, who was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania and came to Fairfield county, Ohio, with her parents, John and Elizabeth (Dabler) Fetters, when a child.  It was in the year 1803 that her parents emigrated westward and cast in their lot with the first settlers of this portion of the state.  Their first home was built of logs with a mud and stick chimney and the furnishings were of a most primitive character, but pioneer conditions were eventually placed by the comforts and conveniences of an older civilization and the pioneer families of which the Judge is a representative became possessed of good homes and valuable farms.  His father died in this county in 1835 and his mother passed away in 1832, leaving three children:  John T., of this review; George W., a minister of the Lutheran church; and Elizabeth, who died in childhood.  Mr. Busby was again married, his third wife being Rachel Fetters.
    
The Judge was enabled to secure such educational discipline as was afforded by the public schools of an early day and later he attended a private school, while subsequent to that period he became a student in Lancaster, under the instruction of Professor Good.  When he had completed his education he began working at the cabinet maker's trade, which he learned under the direction of Henry Schultz, and was thus associated with the improvement of Lancaster.  After his marriage he settled on a farm in Pleasant township, Fairfield county, and turned his attention to agricultural pursuits, which he followed successfully for many years.  His enterprise and diligence enabled him to gradually advance to the plane of affluence and he is now accounted one of the substantial citizens of the county, having acquired a handsome competence, which now permits him to retire from active business life.
     In the years of his early manhood Mr. Busby sought a companion and helpmate for the journey of life and was happily married to Miss Lavina Smetters, of Fairfield county, a daughter of George and Susan Smetters, honored pioneer people of this county.  As the years passed eleven children were added to the household:  Clara, the wife of James Robinson; Mary A., the wife of James Smith,  of Walnut township; Samuel F., of Columbus, Ohio; Charles G., a farmer; James W., an operator for the Ohio Central Railroad Company; Susan M., at home; Lavina J., the deceased wife of Mathias Miller; John T., who acted as his father's deputy in the office of county treasurer, but is now deceased; Cora A., the wife of S. A. Krepps, an insurance agent of Columbus; Myrtle Belle, at home; and Sarah L., a clerk in Lancaster County Bank.  The wife and mother passed to the home beyond in 1896.
     The Judge is an unfaltering adherent of the Democracy, endorsing the principles advocated by Jefferson.  In early manhood he was elected justice of the peace and filled that position for twenty-five consecutive years, during which time a number of cases which he tried were appealed, but in on instance was his decision ever reversed.  During this time he acquired a very thorough knowledge of common law.  He afterward accepted the position of deputy county treasurer and served for four years under H. A. Martens and for a similar period under Michael Hickle.  Previous to that time he was for four years trustee of the infirmary and was one of its directors for three years.  In 1884 he was elected probate judge of Fairfield county and received nineteen hundred votes - the largest number given to any man on the ticket.  He assumed the duties of the office in February, 1885, for a term of three years, and in 1887 was re-elected to the same office, in which he served until February, 1891, covering six years, in which his fairness, impartiality and capability won him high commendation, as when a justice his decisions were never reversed.  Such has been his official career - the account thereof being as an open book bearing the closest  investigation and scrutiny.  For some time Judge Busby was president of the Fairfield County Agricultural Society and his belongs to Charity Lodge, No. 7, I. O. O. F., in which he passed all the chairs.  During the Civil war the Judge assisted in organizing a company of militia, of which he was captain.  He was twice called out during the Morgan raid, but never was in an engagement, as Morgan soon retreated.  He is a member and trustee of the Methodist church and his influence has ever been on the side of right and progress.  He has now passed the seventy-fifth milestone on life's journey, but still maintains an active interest in this native county.  He has attained to a position of prominence in the county in which he was born and reared and in which he has retained his residence to the present time, being now one of the revered and venerable pioneers of the community.
(Source: Biographical Record of Fairfield & Perry Counties, Ohio - 1902)
CLICK HERE to Return to
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights