OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

 

Erie County, Ohio

Biographies

<Return to Biographical Index>

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
WILLIAM G. SAGE, Huron p. o. was born in Windham county, Conn., in 1822, and was a son of George and Lucy (Davis) Sage, who settled in Virginia in 1827, and ten years later, in 1837, settled in Huron, Erie county.  George was born in 1801, and died in 1840, leaving a widow and nine children, seven of whom are now living:  William G., Edward and Edwin (twins), Harriet, now Mrs. Parker; Elizabeth, now Mrs. Gould; Sarah, now Mrs. Case, and Charles J.  One son, Orrin W., enlisted, and died, while in service, at Salsbury Prison, leaving a wife and three children.  William G. Sage commenced his business life as a carpenter and builder, and afterwards was engaged as a contract builder in Toledo and Huron, until 1857, when he became engaged in the fish business, and in 1861 retired from business life.  In 1861 he purchased his present homestead of 210 acres.  He was married in Berlin, in 1850, to Elsie I. Douglass, who was born in Canada, in1829.  They have had three children: Maora, now Mrs. George A. Groat; George J. and Bessie.  Elsie was a daughter of Robert and Mary (Black) Douglass, of Scotland, who were among the early settlers in Erie County.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 - Page 627
SIMEON SCHACHT, Sandusky, was born in Schleswig Holstein, Germany, in 1835, and was a son of Reimer SchachtSimeon emigrated to America in 1857, and after visiting Iowa, New Orleans, and sections in the West, he settled in Virginia in 1858, and at the opening of the war enlisted in the 13th Virginia Regiment, in 1861, under Colonel A. P. Hill, and in 1862 served under Stonewall Jackson.  He served four years and was wounded three times.  He settled in Sandusky in 1866, and became engaged in the smoking and curing of fish, and in 1880 embarked in the business of freezing and shipping fresh and salted fish.  He was married in 1873 to Sophia Luedecke, of Sandusky.  She was born in Hanover.  They have had a family of five children: Anna, Julia, John, Henry and Carl.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 - Page 627
GEORGE J. SCHADE was born February 15, 1869, in Sandusky, O., the son of William Schade and Susan Heck, pioneer Sanduskians.  He acquired his early education in the Sandusky public schools, later pursuing special courses in business training and chemistry in Cleveland, O., and Philadelphia, Pa., respectively.
     Mr. Schade began his business career as a pharmacist in a drug store in Sandusky, of which he was owner and manager.  Later he engaged in the wholesale and retail coal business.  Twelve years ago he built the Schade theater, then as now a model institution of its kind, and has since devoted his whole time and attention to the presentation of motion pictures in which he has made a name for himself among the leading exhibitors of the so-called film industry.
     In the exploitation of film presentations, a branch of cinema showmanship that draws out all the way of resource there is in exhibitor makeup, Mr. Schade has won for himself an enviable reputation.
     In 1921 Mr. Schade was put forth as a candidate for one of three Sandusky City Commissionerships then available, and was elected by an overwhelming majority at the end of one of the bitterest campaigns in Sandusky's history.  Until Jan. 1, 1922, when he became a Commissioner, he had never held public office of any kind.
     Mr. Schade married Miss Anna Kuebeler, daughter of Jacob Kuebeler, pioneer Sandusky brewer.  Mr. and Mrs. Schade have two children, Julian, son, and Miss Christine, daughter, both adults.  The family lives at 1318 Tiffin Ave., Sandusky.
Source:  Centennial History of Erie County, Ohio - Published 1925
AUGUST SCHAEDLER, Kelley's Island, one of the successful and enterprising German settlers of the island, was born in Prussia, in 1826, and came to America in 1849, and settled in Cleveland and became engaged in farming in Summit county, O.  He visited Kelley's Island in 1851, where he visited for a short time, and in 1856 returned to the island and purchased a homestead of five acres, for which he paid $60 per acre, on which he erected a dwelling and became engaged in the cultivation of grapes and manufacture of wine.  He now has a vineyard of 100 acres, and a farm of 150 acres on the island, and a farm of ninety acres at Marblehead.  He has two wine cellars, with a capacity of 65,000 gallons.  They have had a family of ten children, nine of whom are now living:  John, Andrew, Anna, Philip, Rosa, Albert, Clara, David, Frederick and Julia.  Mr. Schaedler erected his present fine stone residence in 1873.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 - Page 627
HENRY SCHEUFLER, proprietor of the Lake View Hotel, was born in Germany in 1843, and was a son of John and Elizabeth Scheufler, who emigrated to America and settled in Sandusky in 1852, where they died, leaving a family of seven sons and one daughter.  Two sons enlisted and served in the army; they were Henry and Fred.  Henry enlisted in Company D, 23d Ohio Infantry, under Colonel R. B. Hayes, Dec. 8, 1863, and served to the close of the war in 1865.  He was wounded and now receives a pension.  He learned the engineering and machinery trade and followed the same until 1884, when he became proprietor of the Lake View House.  Henry was married in 1877 to Elizabeth Guth, of Sandusky.  They have had three children: Dora E., Leonard W. and Rosellen.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 - Page 628
HENRY A. SCHEUFLER, Sandusky, a grocery and provision dealer, was born in Sandusky in 1864, and is a son of Joseph and Anna (Bork) Scheufler who were born in Germany, and married in Sandusky in January, 1860, and who have a family of twelve children - nine daughters and three sons: Katie, John, Henry, Anna, Lizzie, Sophia, Laura, Lena, Joseph, jr., Cornelia, Ida and Adelia.  Joseph was a son of John and Elizabeth (Race) Scheufler who emigrated to Sandusky in 1851, where John died in 1852, leaving a widow and eight children, five of whom are now living: Joseph, Catharine, Frederick, Henry and John, jr.  Elizabeth died in 1885.  Henry A. was married June 8, 1886, to Mary Grathwohle.  They have one daughter, Pearl.  Joseph and his two sons became engaged in the grocery and provision business in1881 and in 1883 Joseph and his son, Henry A., became proprietors.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 - Page 629
JOHN SCHEUFLER, JR., Sandusky, a dealer in stoves, hardware and cooking utensils, was born in Hesse, Germany, in1851, and was a son of John and Elizabeth (Race) Scheufler, who emigrated to America in 1851 and settled in Sandusky.  John died in 1852, leaving a widow and eight children, five of whom are now living: Joseph, Catharine, Frederick, Henry and Fred, served during the war of the rebellion.  John, jr. learned the tinning trade in 1864, and for several years worked as a journeyman.  In 1887 he became engaged in the stove and tin business.  He was married in 1878 to Laura E. Frank, who was born in Reading, Pa., in 1858.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 - Page 629
FRED SCHARDT.  One of the oldest families in Kelleys Island is the Schardt family.  Fred Schardt was born on January 15, 1860.  His father was Adam Schardt, and Amelia Dischinger Schardt was his mother.  His father was a shoemaker by trade and left Germany in 1849.  Having been one of those patriots who failed in attempting to establish a republic against the Prussians, in 1861, he not only paid a substitute three hundred dollars to take his place, but shortly on account of the sympathy of the English for the South, he volunteered and joined the army himself and fought with a creditable army record.
     Fred Schardt, spent his youth in helping his father in the wine business.  What education he had, he obtained at the Kelleys Island schools.  The first two years of his schooling were spent in the public schools of Kelleys Island.  At the end of those two years, a Prussian professor came to the island and induced German residents to back him up in his venture of starting a school his father placed Fred for two years, at the end of which time he had practically forgotten all that he knew of the English language.  So he was sent back to the public schools where he remained until he passed the sixth grade.
     He has always been very fond of athletics.  First skating baseball, then hunting and trapshooting; and in his later years, skating and dancing.
     He has always been in the wine and grape vineyard business until he was put out of the wine business by California wine companies' competition.
     He is a Republican and a member of the Elk and Moose secret societies.  His father, Adam Schardt, bought Addison Kelly's old residence and lived there until Fred was seventeen years old.  The old house was then torn down and a hotel built - The Schardt House.
Source:  Centennial History of Erie County, Ohio - Published 1925
FREDERICK SCHEPPEL, Perkins, Sandusky p. o., was born in the kingdom of Bavaria, Germany, in 1828, and emigrated to New York City Oct. 31, 1846.  He went to Virginia, where he became engaged as a farm hand on a plantation, and the second year was made overseer, but resigned this position and returned to New York, where he learned the baking business.  He visited Texas in 1849, and in 1850 went to work on a farm on island No. 82, in the Mississippi, but remained here but a short time when he went to Cincinnati, where he became engaged in farming at a salary of $12 per month.  He came to Sandusky in 1853, where he found employment with Addison Kelley on Kelley's Island, where he remained until 1858, when he purchased two acres and a half of land, which he converted into a vineyard, and soon had fourteen acres planted with grapes.  In 1867 he lost his property, and in 1871 went to Tennessee, where he purchased a farm of 176 acres.  He settled here in July, but not being satisfied with this purchase he returned to Kelley's Island and purchased on time, for $7,000, his old vineyard of fourteen acres, which he paid for in five years from the proceeds of his grape crops.  He purchased his present farm of 110 acres in Perkins township, which he is now converting into a vineyard and fruit orchard, having the finest varieties of grapes, pears and apples.  Frederick was a son of Michael Scheppel, who was born in1801, and now resides in Germany, with his family of one son and three daughters.  One son, Frederick, and two daughters, Elizabeth and Paulina, came to America, and now reside in Perkins.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 - Page 628
PETER SCHIED, Oxford, Milan p. o., one of the most extensive and successful farmers of Erie county, was born in Nassau, Germany, in July, 1834, and was a son of Anthony and Catharine Schied, who had a family of seven children, one of whom died in Germany, the other six coming to America in 1854, and settled in Oxford, O.  William and Peter came in 1852; the other four children, Catharine, Nettie, Emma and Charles, came with their parents.  Anthony was born in 1801 and died in 1866; his wife was born in 1807 and died in 1881.  Peter Schied became engaged in farming in Huron county, O., and was married Feb. 26, 1860, to Catharine Heuser, who was born in Nassau, Germany, in 1841.  They have had a family of nine children: Charles, Peter, Louisa C., Flora N., Henry L., Kate L., Lewis W., Julia A., Amanda and Alda.  Mr. Schied was trustee for two terms and treasurer two terms.  He settled in Oxford township in 1860, then purchasing the homestead of 175 acres, for which he paid $35 per acre.  His home farm now consists of 235 acres, and he also owns 570 acres in other parts of this town, which is devoted to general farming.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 - Page 629
WILLIAM SCHIED, Oxford, Prout p. o., one of the extensive farmers of the county, was born in Nassau, Germany, in 1828, and emigrated to America in 1852, and settled in Huron county, O., where he was engaged in working on a farm for two years, and in 1854 settled in Oxford township.  He was married in 1855 to Caroline Ohr, who was born in Bayern, Germany, in 1835, and came to Erie county, O., in 1854.  They have had four sons and two daughters; William Peter, August H., Albert D., Adolph, Amelia Flora and Bertha E.     Amelia F. married Daniel Heyman in 1881.  They have had three children: Ella, Laura and Daniel, jr.  Mrs. Schied was a daughter of Matthias and Mary Ohr, who settled in Huron county in 1849.  Matthias died in Erie county in 1863, and his wife, Mary, in 1869.  They left two daughters, Caroline and Florena.  William Schied was a son of Anthony and Catharine Schied, of Germany.  William and his brother Peter came to America in 1852, and the parents in 1854 with the rest of the family, Catharine, Nettie, Emma and Charles.  The father was born in 1801 and died in 1866; the mother in 1807 and died in 1881.  Mr. Schied purchased his present homestead farm in 1856.  It then consisted of 183 acres; to this he added 724 acres, and now has 907 acres of well-improved land.  His success is attributed to his industrious habits.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 - Page 630
GEORGE SCHMED, JR., Sandusky, architect and patternmaker, was born in Wurtemburg, Germany, in 1844, and was a son of George and Margretta (Buhler) Schmed.  George learned the carpenter and patternmaker business.  He was married in 1866 to Mary Durza.  They have had two children: Clara, born in 1867, and Emma, born in 1869.  They emigrated to America and settled in Sandusky in 1881, where his wife, Mary, died in 1883.  Clara is living in Germany, and Emma now resides in Chicago.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 - Page 630
AUGUST SCHMIDT, JR., Sandusky, owner and proprietor of the old established Sandusky native wine manufacturing business.  He was born in Baltimore, Md., in 1853, and was a son of August and Christina Schmidt, who were born in Germany.  They were married in Detroit, Mich., in 1851, and have had a family of five children: August, jr., Lizzie, Katie, Charles and Emil.  August, jr., was married in 1880 to Ida Rheiberg, of Little Bass Island.  They have had two children, Edna and Elsie.  Mr. Schmidt became engaged in the wine business in 1880, then forming the firm of A. Schmidt & Co., and purchased the entire interest in the business in 1884.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 - Page 630
PHILIP SCHMIDT, Sandusky, was born in Baden, Germany, in 1856, and was a son of Joseph Schmidt.  Philip came to America and settled in Sandusky in 1875.  Here he learned the baking and confectionery trade, and in 1880 purchased a lot and built his store and dwelling, and became engaged in the general grocery and saloon business.  He is also engaged in the ice business, and gives employment to a large force of men during that season.  He is engaged in the real estate business and in the manufacture of grape wine.  He was married in 1879 to Josephine Knauer, of Sandusky.  They have had a family of three children: Bertha, Emeline and Carl Philip.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 631
CORNELIUS SCHNAITTER, Sandusky, a merchant tailor and clothier of Sandusky, was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1830, and was a son of Sebastian and Catharine Schnaitter, who emigrated to Canada, and settled in Ottawa in 1847.  They had a family of seven children, four daughters and three sons.  Five of the children are now living:  Cornelius, Charles, Catharine, Elenora and Frances.  The parents died in Sandusky.  Cornelius settled in Sandusky in 1849, as a journeyman tailor, and in 1855 was married to Susanna Kranz, who was born in Germany.  They have had two sons and three daughters: Frank, Cornelius, jr., Antoinette, Sarah and HattieMr. Schnaitter enlisted in May, 1861, in the Fourth Michigan Regiment as a musician, and served until discharged by an act of the government.  He has served for several years on the school board, and is now a member of the firm of Schnaitter & Buderus, which was formed in 1863, and erected their present stores in 1873.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 631
WILLIAM SCHNEE, Oxford, Bloomingville p. o., was born in Dietz, Nassau, Germany, in 1836, and was a son of John and Catharine SchneeJohn died in Germany, leaving a widow and four children:  William and Fred, who came to America, and George and Philopena, who now reside in Germany.  William came to America in 1854, and settled in Huron county, where he hired a farm in 1856 and became a general farmer.  He was married in 1859 to Jane Schafer, who was born in Nassau, Germany, in 1835.  She died in 1868, leaving a family of seven children: Emma, Fred, Catharine, Sophia, Louisa and William J. (twins), and Maggie.  They settled in Oxford in 1865, when Mr. Schnee purchased his present homestead farm of 153 acres, for which he paid $30 per acre.  He now owns 246 acres of well-cultivated land.  Mr. Schnee married his second wife, Elizabeth, Jane and August.  Mrs. Elizabeth (Fisher) Schnee had, by her first husband, a family of eight children.  She was born in Germany in 1835, and settled in Marion county, O., in 1841.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 629
WILLIAM SCHOENEMAN, Sandusky, was born at Westphalia, Prussia, in 1851, and emigrated to America in 1870, when he settled in Sandusky.  He worked at the machinist trade until 1874, when he became engaged in the general grocery and prevision business.  He was married in 1877 to Louisa Biglin.  They have a family of six children:  Tina, Anton, Willie, Edward, Norma and LouisaMr. Schoenemann purchased his store and dwelling in 1882.  He, for years, had the agency for the Fleischmann Compressed Yeast Company.  He is also engaged in the curing and smoking of surgeon, herring, caviar, and deals in isinglass and fish oil.  He is a member of the firm of Paysen & Schoenemann, which was organized in 1884.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 631
CHRISTOPHER SCHOEPFLE, Perkins, Sandusky, p. o., was born in Baden, Germany in 1830, and was a son of John and Mary SchoepfleJohn died in 1847, leaving a widow and seven children.  Christopher came to Ohio in 1851 and settled in Margaretta, and in 1853 came to Sandusky.  That same year (1853), his mother and her children came to Sandusky, where she died in 1859.  Five children came to America:  John, Catharine, Christopher, Charles and Christian.  Christian served during the late war, and is now a clergyman in the Reformed Church.  Mr. Schoepfle commenced life as a farm hand, after which he became engaged in the shipment of stone.  In 1874 he purchased his present farm of 100 acres.  He was married in 1856 to Rosa Waltermeyer, who was born in Germany.  They have a family of seven children:  Libbie, John, Henry, Frank, Edward, Clara and Lena.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 631
AUGUST SCHOEWE, Margaretta, Sandusky p. o., a successful farmer of Margaretta, was born in Ossenburg, Wurtemburg, Prussia, Oct. 18, 1829, and was a son of John and Caroline Schoewe, who emigrated to America July 14, 1854, and settled in Margaretta.  Five of their children came to America.  Ferdinand died in 1854, aged eighteen years.  The others are August, Henry, Lewis and TheodoreJohn was born in 1802, and died in 1875; his widow, Caroline, died Apr. 21, 1882.  John purchased a farm in Margaretta in 1854.  It comprised 100 acres, and cost $5,000.  He became extensively engaged in farming, and loaned money to about fifty of his countrymen to come to this country, the most of whom forgot to return it to him, but, nevertheless, he left a fine property to his children.  August Schoewe, who came with his parents and settled in Margaretta, was married in Prussia, Aug. 27, 1853, to Hannah Knut, was born in 1833.  They have had a family of eleven children, six now living:  Mary, Theodore, Amelia, Adeline, Andrew and Hannah.  Amelia is now at college.  Mr. Schoewe was a practical miller, and on his arrival in this country, followed that business until 1853, when he became engaged in farming.  His homestead now consists of 175 acres of finely improved land.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 632
HENRY SCHOEWE, Margaretta, Sandusky p. o., was born in Wurtemberg, diocese of Osseken, Pomern, Prussia, in 1832, and emigrated to America with his parents, John and Caroline SchoeweHenry was a practical carpenter by trade, but after settling here he became engaged in farming.  He was married in1859 to Elizabeth Leidorf, who was born in Hessen, Germany, in 1833.  They have had a family of nine sons: John C., Israel H., Adam F., Theodore F., Henry C., Frederick W., Harman L., Albert R. and William E.  He has given his family a good education.  Elizabeth was a daughter of John and Elizabeth Catharine (Wagoner) Leidorf, who came to America in 1845, and settled in Margaretta township, where John died, leaving a widow and two children:  Elizabeth and Conrad Mr. Schoewe is extensively engaged in farming.  His farm now consists of ninety-four acres of finely cultivated land.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 632
LOUIS SCHOEWE, Margaretta, Sandusky, p. o., a successful farmer of Margaretta, was born in Wurtemburg, parish of Osseken, Prussia, in 1838, and was a son of John and Caroline Schoewe, who came to America July 14, 1854, and settled in Margaretta.  They had a family of eight children, four of whom are now living:  August, Henry, Lewis, and Theodore.  Three children died in Prussia, and one, Ferdinand, died at the age of eighteen, in this country.  John Schoewe was born in 1802, and died in 1875; and his widow was born in 1801, and died Apr. 21, 1882.  Lewis Schoewe was married in 1858 to Christina Engle, who was born in Baden, Germany, in 1801.  She died in 1880, leaving ten children: Emma, Leah, Esther, Charles, Edward, Julia, Robert, Lewis, jr., Edward and Lydia.  Mr. Schoewe married his second wife Julia Engle, in 1882.  She was born in 1846.  They have three children: Wesley, Cora and William.  Mr. Schoewe purchased his homestead farm of 100 acres in 1863.  Both of his wife were daughters of Charles and Barbara (Rohrbacker) Engle.  Emma Schoewe was married in 1878 to Charles Hoffmeyer; Leah, in 1881, to Joseph Miles, and Esther married Herman Rosin.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 632
ANTHONY SCHONHARDT, Sandusky, a manufacturer of brick, was born in Alsace, France, in 1817, and was a weaver by trade.  He came to America in 1840 and settled in Stark county, O., and in 1844 was married to Mrs. Josephine Tanauermiller Lellar, widow of Anthony Lellar.  They have had a family of eleven children: Benjamin, Henry, Albert, Josephine, Margaret, Magdalene, John, Rosa, Benedict, Virginia, and Margretta.  Mrs. Schonhardt had two children by her first marriage: Mary and Otilda.  Mr. Schonhartdt, on settlement here, purchased his homestead of fiv acres, for which he paid $720.  He is now engaged in the manufacture of brick.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 633
VOLTAIRE SCOTT, Sandusky, was born in Buffalo, N. Y., in 1835, and was a son of Jacob and Margaret Scott, who were born and married in New York State.  Jacob settled at Put-in-Bay in 1837, where he became agent for Alfred Edwards.  Later he purchased a farm at Port Clinton, and became engaged in the milling business.  His saw and grist-mills were destroyed by fire.  In 1855 the firm of Reynold & Scott was formed, and they became engaged in the timber and plank business, and erected a mill, which was also burned.  In 1859 Mr. Scott came to Sandusky, and in 1860 became engaged in the mercantile business.  In 1865 Mr. Scott and his son purchased the new Lake House property.  In 1876 he moved to Ashland, Wis., to look after his mining and lumber interests there.  Here he died in July, 1881, aged 81 years.  He was in the employ of the government during the War of 1812, at Sacketts Harbor, N. Y.  Scott's Point was named in honor of him.  Voltaire Scott, in early life, was engaged in clerking at Port Clinton.  Later he became a partner, and then proprietor of the general mercantile business.  He settled in Sandusky with his parents, in 1859, and in 1861 was in the employ of the government in the paymaster's department; in 1863 became superintendent of the soldiers' home at Louisville, Ky., and at the close of the war returned to Sandusky, married Eva Schweinfurth, who was born in Baden, Germany.  Mr. Scott is a Republican, and has held many of the town and county offices.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 633
ROMANUS SHEPHERD, Huron p. o., owner and proprietor of the Shepherd Hotel, at Huron, was born in Maryland in 1830, and was a son of William and Mary (Langwell) Shepherd, who settled in Margaretta, Erie county, in 1836, where Mary died in 1849, leaving a family of six children, four sons and two daughters.  William died in 1864, leaving two children by his second marriage, and three by his third.  Eleven of the children are now living.  Three of his sons enlisted and served during the war: Romanus, Edgar and A. J. Edgar died while in service.  Romanus enlisted in Company M., 1st Heavy Ohio Artillery, in 1863, was promoted to sergeant, and served to the close of the war.  He settled in Huron in 1871.  He has served as councilman for several years.  He was married in 1853 to Sarah Grow, of Margaretta.  They have had a family of four children: George W., William E., Edgar R., Sarah.  Mr. Shepherd became engaged in the fishing business and mercantile trade in 1872, but retired from the mercantile branch in 1885.  He is now engaged in the backing, shipping and freezing of fish, and is a member of the firm of Shepherd Brothers.  He built a steam barge in 1883.  The firm gives employment in their fishing branch, to from six to twenty men.  Mr. Shepherd erected a block of six stores in 1872, which were destroyed by fire in 1883, after which he erected his present hotel and block of three store.  His wife, Sarah, was a daughter of Henry and Susan (Berkstraser) Grow, who were early settlers in Margaretta.  The grandfather, William Langwell, was a pioneer settler in Margaretta township, coming there from Virginia.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 633
WILLIAM J. SHEPHERD, Huron p. o., at present postmaster of Huron, was born in Venice in 1851, and was a son of John W. and Louisa (Greenman) Shepherd.  They have a family of five children: William J., John H., Lavina, now Mrs. Stone; C. Birt, and Kate L.  William J. settled in Huron, Mar. 4, 1869, and has been engaged in the coopering, fishing and grocery business.  He was appointed postmaster in 1885.  He was married in 1877 to J. Louisa Heyman, a daughter of William C. Heyman.  They have had two children:  Charles W. and Ada Shepherd.  John W. was a son of William and Mary (Langwell) Shepherd, who were born in Maryland and settled in Margaretta, Erie county, in 1836.  The grandfather, William, died in 1864, leaving a family of twelve children.  He was married three times.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 634
WILLIAM HENRY H. SHERMAN, Margaretta, Castalia p. o., was born in Aurelius, Cayuga county, N. Y., May 20, 1819, and was a son of Daniel and Rheulatty (Hathway) Sherman.  Daniel  was born in Connecticut, and Rheulatty, his wife, in New Jersey.  They were married in Cayuga county, N. Y., May 20, 1814.  They had a family of four sons and one daughter: Elizabeth, who died at an early age; Chester, born in 1815; Stephen, born in1817; William Henry H., born in 1819, and George, born in 1822.  They settled in Margaretta in 1833, coming here from Auburn, N. Y.  Daniel was a distiller by trade, but after settling here became engaged in farming.  Daniel was born in 1780, and died Dec. 25, 1867; and his wife, who was born in 1795, died in 1864.  William Henry H. Sherman was married in 1848 to Almira Campbell.  They have had a family of three children: Wilhelmina, William H., and Almira C.  Mrs. Almira Sherman was born in Margaretta, in 1823, and was a daughter of Dougall and Sylvia Harrington Campbell, who was born in New York, and removed to Pennsylvania, and settled in Bloomingville, O., with her parents, in 1810.  Dougall was born in Wheeling, W. Va.  Dougall and Sylvia were married in 1815, and had a family of three children: Ziltha, Mrs. Brown; Urban, and Almira, now Mrs. Sherman.  Mr. Dougall Campbell was a son of Captain Dougall Campbell, of Scotch descent.  He was born in Ireland, and settled in Virginia at an early age, and died in Groton, Erie county, O.  Mr. Sherman purchased his present homestead in 1851.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 634
FERDINAND SIEGEL, Perkins, Bogart p. o., a general blacksmith of Perkins township, was born in Baden, Germany, in 1849, and was a son of Frederick Siegel.  Ferdinand Siegel came to America in 1867, and settled in Sandusky, where he became engaged in the smithing business as a journeyman.  That same year he came to Bogart, where he purchased his shop and tools and established his present business.  He was married in 1875 to Amelia Boos, of Huron township.  They have a family of four children living: Emil, George, Ferdinand jr., and Amelia.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 635
GREGORY H. SLOAT, Sandusky, was born in Retzstadt, Bavaria, in 1827, and was the son of Michael and Dorthea Sloat.  Michael Sloat died in Bavaria, Germany, in 1831, leaving a family of five children: Vincent, Eva, Gregory H., Julia, and Anna M.  Gregory H. started to serve his apprenticeship in 1840, at Wurtzburg, Bavaria; accepted a position as steamboat engineer on the River Rhine, in 1846; emigrated to the United States in 1853; settled in Newark, N. J., until December, 1853; then went to Piermont , N. Y., where he worked for the Erie Railroad Company, and in June, 1862, settled in Sandusky.  Here he entered the employ of the C. S. and C. Railroad Company, holding different responsible positions.  In 1880 he was appointed foreman of the machine shops.  Mr. Sloat is termed an expert mechanic.  G. H. Sloat was married in New York, in 1854, to Theresa Muehleisen, who was born in Rechberghausen, Wurtemburg, Germany, in 1833.  They have had a family of ten sons:  Karl A., died in infancy; Herman J., Ferdinand B., William H., August, died in infancy; Joseph T., Lewis F., Frank J., Frederick W., Henry N.  Herman, Ferdinand, William, Lewis and Frank, are now holding responsible mechanical positions.  Joseph holds a mercantile position; Frederick and Henry attend school.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 635
WILLIAM J. SHEPHERD, Huron p. o., at present postmaster of Huron, was born in Venice in 1851, and was a son of John W. and Louisa (Greenman) Shepherd.  They have a family of five five children:  William J., John H. Lavina, now Mrs. Stone; C. Birt, and Kate L.  William L. settled in Huron, Mar. 4, 1869, and has been engaged in the coopering, fishing and grocery business.  He was appointed postmaster in 1885.  He was married in 1877 to J. Louisa Heyman, a daughter of William C. Heyman  They have had two children:  Charles W. and Ada Shepherd.  John W. was a son of William and Mary (Langwell) Shepherd, who were born in Maryland and settled in Margaretta, Erie county, in 1836.  The grandfather, William, died in 1864, leaving a family of twelve children.  He was married three times.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 634
FERDINAND SIEGEL, Perkins, Bogart p. o., a general blacksmith of Perkins township, was born in Baden, Germany, in 1849, and was a son of Frederick Siegel.  Ferdinand Siegel came to America in 1867, and settled in Sandusky, where he became engaged in the smithing business as a journeyman.  That same year he came to Bogart, where he purchased his shop and tools and established his present business.  He was married in 1875 to Amelia Boos, of Huron township.  They have a family of four children living:  Emil, George, Ferdinand, jr., and Amelia.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 635
DANIEL B. SMITH, Huron p. o. was born in Huron, Erie County, O., in 1840, and was a son of Joseph and Mary (Bozworth) Smith, who were married in England and came to America in 1833, and settled in Lyme, Huron County, with a family of three children.  They had a family of ten children, seven of whom were born in America; three of whom are now living: Mrs. Mary A. Quayle, Daniel B., and Joseph W.  One son, Thomas, died, leaving a widow and one son; and a daughter, Mrs. Garlick, died, leaving two children, a son and daughter.  Joseph Smith was a shoe manufacturer, and dealer in boots and shoes, and was born at Northampton, England.  They settled in Huron in 1836, where they died.  Mr. Smith purchased a farm of 60 acres, when he first settled here, to which he has made additions from time to time until now he has a fine farm of 250 acres.  He was born in 1801, and died in 1870.  His wife was born in 1803, and died in 1876.  Mr. Smith was a hardworking and successful man.  Daniel B., and his brother, Joseph, were partners in the general farming, stock dealing and shipping business, until 1876, when they dissolved partnership.  Daniel B. has never married.  He now carries on an extensive farming, live stock dealing and shipping business.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 635
FREDERICK SMITH, Groton, North Monroeville p. o., was born in Baden, Germany, in 1833, and came to America in 1853, and settled in Groton and hired a farm.  He is now actively engaged in stock raising and shipping, and general farming, having a farm of 337 acres, producing from 2,500 to 5,000 bushels of corn yearly, with other grains.  He was married in 1856 to Anna Mary Staigle, who was born in the kingdom of Wurtemburg in 1835.  They have had a family of thirteen children, nine of whom are now living, two having died in infancy.  Those living are F. Jacob, John P., Charles D., George W., Henry G., Louis J., Rudolph C., Mary G., Caroline, Julia and Eliza.  Mr. Smith has been justice of the peace one term, and trustee two terms.  He was a son of Christian and Gottlieben Smith.  Christian died in Germany, leaving a widow and five children:  Jane, Eliza, Frederick, Caroline and John Philip John P. enlisted in the army of 1862, in the 107th Ohio infantry, and died in the hospital of fever.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 636
JOSEPH SMITH, Perkins, Prout p. o., one of the successful farmers of Perkins township, was born Sept. 25, 1827, and was a son of John and Mary Smith, who were born in Bavaria, Germany.  They had a family of ten children, three of whom came to America: Louis, Mary and Joseph.  Joseph came in 1849 and settled in Sandusky, where he became engaged in teaming, after which he went to Cleveland, where he learned the cooper's trade.  He then returned to Erie county, where he secured a position in the Mad River Railroad machine shop.  He soon became foreman at the round house, where he remained eighteen years, resigning in 1871.  He then became engaged in farming, and in 1878 purchased his present homestead of 250 acres in Perkins township, for which he paid $68 per acre of 150 acres, and $100 per acre for the rest.  He was married in 1852 to Mena Schied, who was born in Germany in 1835.  They have had a family of eight children:  Louis, Fred, Anthony, William, Joseph, Henrietta, Minnie and Catharine.  Henrietta was married in 1878 to Alfred KromerMr. Smith commenced business life poor; he now has a fine farm of 250 acres, on which he has erected a fine dwelling.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 636
JOSEPH W. SMITH, Huron, one of the representative business men of his town and county, was born in Huron, Erie county, in 1845.  He was brought up on his father's farm, but at an early age, desiring to extend his business beyond the common farm interests, he became engaged largely in general farming and stock dealing.  He now owns the well-known Hollister farm of 235 acres, where he now resides.  He is also interested in the elevator, grain and coal business in Huron, and several outside enterprises.  He was married in October, 1872, to Lydia Rylatt, who was born in England in 1844.  They have had a family of five children:  William D., Charles R., Susie B., Jay T. and George H.  Mr. Smith was a son of Joseph and Mary (Bozworth) Smith, who emigrated to Huron county in 1833, and in 1836 settled in Erie county.  They had a family of thirteen children, three of whom are now living:  Mary, Daniel B., and Joseph W.  Daniel B.  and Joseph W. were partners in a general farming, stock raising and shipping business until 1876, when they dissolved partnership.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 636
WARREN SMITH, Sandusky, was born in Sandusky, Jan. 7, 1824, and was a son of William B. and Elinor (Kelley) Smith, who were married in Sandusky in 1819.  They had a family of ten children, five of whom are now living:  Warren, Hiram R., Jarvis L., Richard and Mrs. Clara Conway.  William B. was born in 1796 and died in 1876, leaving a widow, Elinor, born in 1801.  He was a son of Asa and Hannah (Richmond) Smith, who settled in Huron township in 1810, where Asa died in 1815, aged fifty-five years; Hannah died in Clyde  in 1842, aged sixty-nine.  Two of their children are now living, Hiram and Mrs. Clarissa McFallWilliam B. settled in Sandusky with his mother in 1817.  He was the first county treasurer and erected the first brick residence in the county.  His wife was a daughter of William B. Kelley, who settled in Sandusky with his family in 1818.  Warren Smith was married Aug. 20, 1849, to Clarissa M. Townsend, of Milan.  They have had two daughters: Marietta now Mrs. E. McFall, wife of William H. McFall, jr.; and Nancy F. wife of J. P. Lockwood.  Mr. Smith in early life was engaged in the grocery business, but in 1847 became engaged in the livery business, and is today the pioneer liveryman of northwest Ohio.  He has held some of the offices of the city, and is prominent in all city affairs.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 637
JAMES G. SNOWDEN, Margaretta, Castalia p. o., a representative man of his town, was born in Luzerne County, Pa., in 1840, and was educated at the Wyoming Seminary.  He was a son of Rev. E. H. and Elizabeth A. (Smith) Snowden.  Elizabeth was born in Florida and her husband in New Jersey.  James G. Snowden commenced business life as a clerk, after which he became interested in railroading and became a brakeman.  He was afterwards promoted to conductor.  He settled in Margaretta in 1858, where he became engaged in farming, and in 1859 went to Memphis, where he was in the employ of the Memphis and Chattanooga Railroad.  In 1861 he resigned his position and returned to Margaretta, where he was married at that same year to Mrs. R. M. Bardshar, a daughter of Samuel H. and Rachel (Mack) Smith.  They have had a family of three children: Maggie G., Samuel H. and Ethel S.  Mr. Snowden enlisted in the 145th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, under the 100-day call, and was discharged at Camp Chase.  His wife died in 1883, and he married his second wife,  Mrs. Ann S. Graves, in 1885.  She was a daughter of Salmon D. and Lucy A. W. Bardwell, who settled in Margaretta in 1834.  Mr. Snowden is now largely engaged in farming, and his homestead farm consists of 220 acres.  He is also largely engaged in the sale of real estate in the Southwest.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 637
DR. MORRIS H. SNYDER, Kelley's Island, the physician and surgeon of Kelley's Island, was born in Steuben county, N. Y., in 1846, and was a son of Hiram and Elsie Snyder.  He was graduated from the University of Pennsylvania, and in 1876 attended the Eclectic College of Cincinnati, and in 1877 was at the Homeopathic College in Cleveland.  In 1877 he went to Michigan, where he remained until 1887, when he came to Kelley's Island.  He was married in 1880 to Clara Frazier, of New York.  they have one son, Allen Frazier Snyder, born in 1887.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 638
HON. THOMAS M. SPROWL, Huron, a representative man of Huron township, was born in Huron township, Erie county, O., Dec. 22, 1842, and was a son of John A. and Betsey (Miller) Sprowl.  John A. was a native of New Jersey, and was married in Erie county, Dec. 28, 1837.  He was born in Mar. 25, 1813, and died Dec. 8, 1884, leaving a widow and five children:  Sarah M., Mary Ann and Marion (twins), Thomas M. and Charles J. He followed the business of ship-carpenter and farmer.  Thomas M. and Charles J.  He followed the business of ship-carpenter and farmer.  Thomas M. Sprowl the subject of this sketch, was a graduate from Oberlin College in 1867, after which he became engaged in various pursuits - teaching, farming, and later, in the real estate business.  He was elected councilman in 1876, serving two terms; was elected mayor for three terms in succession; the first in 1883, which office he still holds.  He was married Jan. 1, 1867, to Celesta Phelps, of Huron, O.  They have had three children:  Thomas E., Arthur J. and Irma B.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 638
ALVA A. ST. JOHN, Perkins, Sandusky p. o., was born in Perkins, Erie county, O., in 1848, and was a son of James and Amaritta (Mills) St. John.  Amarita was born in Wilton, Fairfield county, Conn.  They were married in Perkins township, where James, who was born in 1797, died in 1858, leaving a widow and four children.  One son, Philo St. John, enlisted in the 3d Ohio Cavalry, in1861, was wounded while in service, and died at Lexington, Ky., in 1862.  The four children now living are: Mrs. Almina Freeman, Mrs. Mary E. Hart, Augustus and Alva.  Alva  was married in 1871 to Fannie Devlin, who was born in Huron in 1844.  They have had a family of four children: Walter, May, Jane and Joseph.  Fannie was a daughter of Walter and Jane (Foster) Devlin, who were born and married in Ireland, and settled in Perkins township about 1830.  Walter was born in 1804, and died in 1877, and his wife in 1884.  They had a family of ten children, six of whom are now living.  Fannie was a teacher for several years, in the county schools.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 626
Sharon Wick's Note: See Census 1850 Perkins, Erie Co., Ohio - Film Series M432 Roll 676 Page 416 Dwelling 171 Family 172 Line 33 includes Philo H., James, Emaretta, Aaron, Almenia, Philo, Mary, Augustus, Alva, Clara Mills and Gregory Youngs.
Death Record: Alva A. St. John, d. Apr. 2, 1925 at Perkins, Erie Co., OH, aged 76, widowed white farmer.  Born. Dec. 6, 1845. Buried at Oakland Cem.  Parents were James St. John & Amerretta Mills (St. John)  There is lots more data.
GEORGE STAHL, JR., Sandusky, was born in Bavaria, Germany, Sept. 25, 1825, and emigrated with his parents to America in 1834, and settled in New York city, where they resided for several years.  His father, George Stahl, was a master mechanic in Germany.  He and his wife settled in Erie county, N. Y., where they resided until their deaths.  They had a family of seven sons and one daughter, five of whom are now living:  John, George, Michael, Henry and MargaretGeorge, jr., in early life adapted himself to any occupation that was honorable.  He settled in Sandusky in 1848 as a porter, and was married in 1850 to Elizabeth Raeinmiller, of Sandusky.  She was born in Germany.  They have had two children: John, and Mary, who married John Beck.  George became engaged in the saloon business in 1850, and in 1865 purchased his present store and became engaged in the wholesale liquor and tobacco business at No. 727 Water street.  He was county treasurer for one term and chief engineer of the fire department for four years, and in early life.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 638
FRANK STANG, Sandusky, a brewer of Sandusky, was born in Huron county in 1851, and settled in Sandusky in 1869, where he soon became general manager of a brewing establishment with a capacity of 8,000 barrels.  He was married Jan. 8, 1880, to Mrs. Magdalena (Jorden) Bender, who died at Denver, Colo., of consumption, Sept. 29, 1886, leaving one daughter, Ida, born in 1880; and one son by her first marriage, John Bender, jr., born in Oct. 1873.  Mr. Strang became owner of his brewery in 1880, and has now increased the capacity to 15,000 barrels, manufacturing his own malt.  The brewery was built in 1852 by Philip Dauch.  Mr. Strang is a son of Peter and Magdalena Stang.  Peter was born in Baden in 1813, and settled in Huron county in 1832.  His wife died May 13, 1886, leaving a family of five children: Frank, Louisa, Charles, Mary and John.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 639
JOHN STARR, JR., Huron, an extensive and successful farmer of Huron township, was born in Malta, Saratoga county, N. Y., in 1813, and was a son of John and Sarah (Chandler) Starr, who settled in Huron, Erie County, in 1828, with their family of six children, three of whom are now living:  John, jr., Joseph and Samuel; Warner and Mary died, leaving families.  The father, John, died May 7, 1831, and his wife, Sarah, Aug. 12, 1861, aged eighty-two years.  John was a hatter by trade, but on settling in Huron purchased a farm.  John Starr, jr., was married in Huron, in 1850, to Miss D. M. Wilkinson who was born in Yates county, N. Y., July 30, 1828.  They have had a family of four children: John W., Arthur E., Mary and EllaMary married Mr. Charles W. Hart, and Ella, Mr. Louis LinkMrs. Starr was a daughter of Benoni and Polly (Hardy) Wilkinson.  Benoni,  of Maine, and Polly, of Rhode Island.  They were married in Jerusalem, Yates county, N. Y., and were among the early settlers of Huron county, O.  Mr. Starr received twenty-two acres from the father's estate, and now has in all a farm of 404 acres of the best land in the county, which he has well improved.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 639
HENRY STAUTZENBERGER, Oxford, Perkins p. o., was born in Nassau, Germany, in 1830, and was a son of John and Mary Stautzenberger, who had a family of four children:  Christopher, Henry, Jacob and Nettie.  Two came to America, Henry and JacobHenry settled in Erie county in 1853, and commenced his farm life in Groton.  He was married in September, 1858, to Magdalena Lothamer, who was born in 1838.  They have had a family of four children:  Nattie, Magdalene, Catharine and LouieNettie was married in December, 1881, to William Lewis.  They have one child: Magdalene.  Mrs. Stautzenberger was a daughter of Theobold and Magdalene Lothamer of Elsas, Germany.  Henry  purchased his homestead farm of 130 acres in 1866, for which he paid $7,500.  He now owns 226 acres of finely cultivated land.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 639
OSCAR C. STEDMAN, Huron, agent for the Wheeling and Lake Erie Railroad Company, was born in Pittsford, Hillsdale county, Mich., Aug. 26, 1855, and was a son of Lysander G. and Submit R. (DeLand) Stedman, who were born in Tyringham, Berkshire county, Mass., in 1816, and married in 1839.  They settled in Michigan, where Submit died in 1872, leaving a family of four children:  Perry L., Fontell, Estelle, now Mrs. Coombs; and Oscar C.  Perry L. enlisted in the First Michigan Artillery, and was discharged on account of disability.  Lysander Stedman, on settlement, became engaged in the mercantile business and farming.  Oscar C. Stedman received a liberal education, and for several years clerked in his father's store, until 1873, when received his present appointment.  He was married May 16, 1885, to Alice E. Miller, of Stark county.  She was a daughter of H. P. Miller.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. 1889 ~ Page 639
EDWARD L. STEUK, Sandusky, a manufacturer of grape wine, was born in Russia, and was a son of William and Johanna Steuk, who emigrated to America and settled in Sandusky in 1852.  William because engaged in the clothing business, and in 1863 engaged in the grape culture, and in 1865 began to manufacture grape wines.  He died in 1876, leaving a widow and four children: Edward L., born in Russia in 1850; Matilda, Huldah and Adelaide Margaret.  Edward L. became a partner in the wine business in 1875, the firm being William Steuk & Son, and in 1882 he became sole proprietor.  He has capacity for manufacturing twenty-five thousand gallons yearly.  He was married in 1881 to Julia Harms, who was born in Put-in-Bay.  They have had three children: William, Elmer and CarlJulia was a daughter of Lewis Harms, of Euclid.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 640
GOTTLIEB STEURZINGER, Perkins, Sandusky p. o., was born in Dosenbach, Amt. Schopheim, Baden, Germany, in 1842, and came to America and settled in Sandusky in 1867.  He was married Jan. 1, 1869, to Dora Bruckner, who was born in Germany in 1845.  They have had a family of ten children: William J., Otto, Christina, Emma, Edward, Albert, Bertha, Charles, Catherine and Dora.  Dora was a daughter of Peter and Margaret Bruckner, who were born in Germany in 1813, and settled in Sandusky in 1847.  They had a family of eleven children, ten of whom are now living.  Mr. Stuerzinger purchased his farm of twenty-nine acres in 1871, and settled on it in 1877.  He erected his present dwelling in 1882.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 640
SQUIRE JOHN C. STEWART, Oxford, Kimball p. o., was born in Cortland county, N. Y., in 1833, and was a son of Alexander and Irene (Judd) Stewart.  Irene was born in Marietta, Washington county, O., and Alexander was born in Washington county, N. Y.  They moved to Cortland county, N. Y., and in 1839 settled in Ohio.  John C. went to live with his uncle, John B. Stewart, who was born in Herkimer county, N. Y., in 1802, and settled in Oxford in 1835, where he became engaged in farming.  He died Feb. 1, 1867.  He never married, and John C. inherited the old homestead of 200 acres.  John C. was married in 1863 to Angie M. Rockwell, who was born in Chautauqua county, N. Y., in 1844.  They having had a family of seven children: Charles, May, John B., Hiram, Rutherford B. Hayes, Nellie and Robbie.  John B. died in 1878; the other children are all living.  Mrs. Angie M. was a daughter of John and Sarah Rockwell, who settled in Erie county, O., in 1846.  J. C. Stewart was elected town clerk in 1860, and served six terms; has served as justice of the peace for four terms; in 1867 was appointed postmaster at Bloomingville, and also held other minor offices.  He enlisted in Company G, 72d Ohio Volunteers in October, 1861, and served until wounded at the battle of Tupelo, Miss., July 13, 1864, when he was discharged from service, on account of wounds received, in October, 1864, for which he receives a pension.  He is now engaged in farming.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 640
JOHN STOKES, JR., Kelley's Island, was born in Munster, Ireland, in 1828, and was a son of John and Ellen Stokes, who had a family of five children: James, Thomas, John, Margaret and MaryJohn and Mary came to America and settled in Massachusetts in 1850.  Mary married a Mr. Duhig, of California.  John settled in Sandusky in 1853, and became engaged in farming.  He purchased his homestead farm of ten acres on Kelley's Island in 1856, for which he paid $1,000, and became engaged in the cultivation of grapes, and now has a vineyard of seventeen acres, and a peach orchard of nineteen acres, his farm now consisting of seventy acres.  He commenced the manufacture of wine in 1865, and is now completing a wine cellar which has a capacity for 65,000.  Mr. Stokes was married in 1859 to Miss Honora Welsh, who was born in Ireland.  They have a family of nine children: John, Thomas F., James, Joseph, Robert, Charles, Mary E., Margaret and Honora.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 641
ARDEN A. STORRS, Perkins, Sandusky p. o., one of the representative farmers of Perkins township, was born in Perkins township Nov. 19, 1851, and was a son of Elisha and Jerusha (Taylor) Storrs who married in 1843.  Jerusha was born in Perkins in 1820, and her husband in Dunkirk, N. Y., in 1821.  He settled in Milan, Erie County, with his parents, Reuben and Lucy (Robertson) Storrs.  Reuben died in Perkins in 1881, aged ninety-four years; his wife in 1860.  They left two daughters and one son.  Elisha died in December 26, 1886, leaving a widow and one son, Arden A. Storrs.  Jerusha was a daughter of Joseph and Sophia (House) Taylor, who were born in Connecticut, and married in Perkins township in 1819.   Sophia was born in 1800, and Joseph in 1789.  They came to Perkins with their parents in 1815.  They had a family of three children: "Leman, Jerusha and JemimaJoseph, jr., was a son of Joseph and Louise (Bell) Taylor, old pioneers.  Arden A. Storrs was married Dec. 7, 1876, to Mina H. House, a daughter of Lindsley and Margaret Ann House, and granddaughter of Squire Julius HouseArden A. and Mina have had a family of three children: Edith D., Maud L. and Blanche E.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 641
JOHN G. STROBEL, Sandusky, one of the representative men of Sandusky, was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1837, and was a son of John and Anna Strobel, who emigrated to America in 1852, and settled in Pennsylvania, and in 1855 moved to Steuben county, N. Y.  She was born in Prussia.  They have had a family of five children:  John A., Magdalena, Kate, Christina J., and Emma L.  John and Strobel settled in Sandusky, in 1871, where they died, leaving two children, Margaret, and John G. who settled in Cincinnati in 1861, and became engaged in the brewing business; later became engaged in the grocery trade.  In 1871 he purchased an interest in a brewing establishment in the grocery trade.  In 1871 he purchased an interest in a brewing establishment in Sandusky, where he settled in 1872.  In 1879 he sold his interest to Mr. Ilg, and became engaged in the manufacture of grape wines.  He now has capacity for 30,000 gallons of wine in his extensive cellars.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 641
CHRISTIAN STUBIG, Sandusky, was born in Nassau, Germany, in 1835, and came to America in 1861, settling in Sandusky.  In 1866 he became engaged in the manufacture and sale of boots and shoes, and now he has one of the most extensive and well assorted stocks in the city.  He was married in 1865, to Catherine Lanz, who was born in Germany.  They have had a family of five children: Lena, Wilhelm, Oranien, Emma, Karl Kienzen and Victor Hugo.  Mr. Stubig enlisted in the Hoffman Battalion in December, 1861, which company served on guard at Johnson's Island, over the prisoners of war from the Southern army, for three years.  The first year two companies, A and B, were on guard; in 1862 two more companies were formed, and in 1863 six more were added for protection, and called the 128th Regiment.  He re-enlisted in the Hancock Corps and served until April, 1866, being located at Washington, Hartford, Burlington, Vt., and Staten Island and Bedloe's Island, New York Harbor.  He was a son of Christian and Maria Magdalena Stubig.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 642
PAUL SWISSINGER, Sandusky, was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1849, and came to Sandusky in 1865.  In 1869 he entered the employ of the fire department, and in 1871 was appointed on the police force, which position he resigned in April, 1883, and was appointed agent to the humane society, and resigned in 1884.  He purchased his grocery and provision business from Mr. Daniel.  He carries on a beer bottling business in connection with it.  He was married in 1871 to Anna Schnyder, who was born in Wurtemburg, Germany.  They have two children, Edward and Alma.  Paul was a son of Peter and Barbara (Luther) Swissinger, who emigrated to Sandusky in 1869, and died in Iowa, leaving four sons and four daughters: Paul, August, Charles, Gottlieb, Margaret, Kunigunde, Louisa and Hannah.
Source:  History of Erie County, Ohio - Publ. at  Syracuse, N. Y. - by D. Mason & Co., Publishers - 1889 ~ Page 642
 

.

CLICK HERE to Return to
ERIE COUNTY, OHIO

CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights